Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Hansen watch.

Comments

• Options
    ChopmarkedTradesChopmarkedTrades Posts: 499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just gotta bust open that cornerstone at the SF Mint and see if there's another 70-S $3 hiding in there. Might be easier than waiting on the Bass example to head back to the auction block.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you so much for this thread.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread is incredible not only for the info gathered, but also for the care and time invested by @Currin

Thanks for being our real-time adventure writer!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

@btcollects said:

@ChopmarkedTrades said:
    Just gotta bust open that cornerstone at the SF Mint and see if there's another 70-S $3 hiding in there. Might be easier than waiting on the Bass example to head back to the auction block.

now's our chance since everything's shut down

If you go after the cornerstone coins, don’t stop with the three dollar. Get them all, including the half dime, and it would really be nice to get a look at the quarter dollar that is supposed to be there.

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not be surprised to see at least one of these three on the market in the next five years.

• Options

The Last Pogue Update

This is the last update that I have planned for The D. Brent Pogue Collection Part VII: Masterpieces of United States Coinage Auction. The auction was scheduled to be held at the Whitman Coin & Collectibles Spring Expo in the Baltimore Convention Center. Due to the pandemic the show was cancelled, and the auction was moved to Stack's Bowers Headquarters in Santa Ana, CA. According to SBG press release, the auctions were a big success with over $26.59 Million in US Coins sold. They announced that the Record-Setting Pogue Collection Sells $15.343 Million in Single Session. I watched the 421 lot sale live and the time lapse was 6 hrs. and 15 mins. It was exciting to watch and I did win one Washington Quarter. It is my understanding that Mr. Hansen also won one Washington quarter. I guess I could say I did as well as he did, but honestly he purchased much more than one Washington quarter.

I have no way knowing exactly what he actually purchased. We know he purchased the 1854-S for $1,920,000. He purchased the 1863 Liberty Dollar for $108,000. Also, he purchased the 1870-S Liberty Head Quarter Eagle for $34,800, 1866-S Half Dime MS67 PCGS for $15,600, 1954-D MS67+ Washington Quarter for $6,600, and a handful of other coins that I did not report. Maybe the biggest acquisition by number was the purchase of 12 Pogue Barber Quarters. His total for just the Barber Quarters purchase was $280,000. I think it is fair to say that of $15.343 Million in Pogue sales that the D. L. Hansen Collection picked up at least $2.5 Million of the coins.

Now switching back to the collection, a few days ago I provided a fairly good summary of the Hansen Barber Quarter Collection when sharing updates from Srotag Collection of Barber Quarters. The RSD Collection is still the big shark in the water for Barber Quarters Basic Circulation Strikes, and that will not change. Short of purchasing the RSD Set, Hansen has no path for victory in this series. That fact does not seem to dissuade Mr. Hansen from improving the set when he can. Keep in mind, his goal is much bigger that the Barber Quarters Basic Circulation Strikes Set.

I have provided the charts below for the upgrades to Hansen's Barber Quarters Collection. Of the seventeen coins that was recently upgraded, twelve were from the Pogue sale, three Srotag that I reported on a few days ago, and two that was picked up through David Lawrence Rare Coins, either in auction or private transaction. One coin from DLRC was 1908-S POP 1/0 Ex: Eliasberg Specimen, from the John C. Hugon Collection. The other was the 1909 MS66+ Specimen. The Srotag as previously reported are the 1895-S, 1897-S, and 1904. The remaining 12 coins are from the Pogue Collection.

1896-S Barber Quarter Dollar MS66

Our friend and resident expert Ron Guth once stated: The 1896-S Quarter Dollar is a well-recognized rarity in all grades. I think this is one Barber Quarter that the Hansen team were glad to see in the Pogue sale. They knew it would not come cheap, and if they wanted it, they would have to be willing to pay. They did. Back to Ron, the only other discussion was: All 1896-S Quarter Dollars show the mintmark positioned above the space between the R of QUARTER and the D of DOLLAR. However, there are two different dies with this feature: one with the S low and close to the R; another with the S higher and farther away from the R. If the mintmark is not in either of these positions, or does not have the same shape and appearance as the ones illustrated here, then the coin is most likely a counterfeit or the mintmark has been added.

Stack’s Bowers does not offer any hints for the provenance of the 1896-S. Few of the Barbers listed provenance when purchased in public auctions. There was not much discussion around how Mr. Pogue obtained the other Barber Quarters. Did he purchase most of them as a sets? I wish we were giving more information. SBG did describe the coin as: Here is an absolutely outstanding example of this well known and eagerly sought key date in the Barber quarter series. Both sides exhibit a full satiny mint luster and the fields are modestly semi-reflective. There is light iridescent gold toning that appears to drift toward the rims. The strike was delivered with pin point accuracy, calling forth full detail to all design elements. Expertly preserved and pristine in most areas, this lovely Gem stands tall among the highlights in the Barber quarter offerings from the Pogue cabinet.

I believe that most if not all the Pogue Barber Quarters will stand the test of time as being a resident in this great collection. Half of the twelve quarters are POP X/1 Specimens. It is possible that if one of the top sets that have the POP 1/0 specimens sell, then maybe Mr. Hansen could pick up and replace a few. I think it is safe to say that the 1896-S Barber Quarter Dollar MS66 is here for the long haul. SBG estimated the coin value between $50,000-$60,000. PCVG is given at a whopping $130,000. The coin sold for $96,000, so it appear Mr. Hansen may have been the right bidder at the right time. Because the coin is not CAC, I am sure the sticker only buyers were turned off. Maybe that was not a bad thing.

Extraordinary Gem 1896-S Barber Quarter
    None Graded Finer by PCGS, POP 3/0
    1896-S Barber Quarter, MS-66
    Certification #38855610, PCGS #5615
    PCGV: $130,000 / Realized $96,000
    Provenance: From the D. Brent Pogue Collection, March 2020 Auction - The D. Brent Pogue Collection Part VII: Masterpieces of United States Coinage – Lot 7084

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • Options

Legend Update

If you have watched Hansen’s updates for a while now, you may have noticed, as I have, there have not been any updates from the Legends Auctions in last couple sales. The last update that I recalled was a purchase from Legend’s Regency 34 Auction held on 9/26/2019. I am not sure if there were no purchases or the coins were not of significance that they would show up for me to report. I have found a handful of coins from Legend’s Regency 37 Auction, March 26th. It is good to see some nice coins are starting to flow from Legends and their clients into The D. L. Hansen Collection. Here are a couple of the upgrades that realized more than $10,000 and both are very high in the PCGS POP report.

1900-S Barber Dime MS67

As we have seen in the past few weeks, Mr. Hansen is dedicating a large sum of resources to his Barber Collection. He has the all-time finest Half Dollar set, but is short in the dime and quarter dollar sets. This 1900-S is another example when nice Barber specimen comes available, he pounces. Legend described the coins as: Tied with just a single coin for FINEST graded honors. The mintage of dimes was relatively large, with nearly 5.2 million stuck. In any Mint State grade it is scarce and down right RARE in MS64 and finer. This SUPERB GEM has the look of an Eliasberg or Norweb coin, high grade with some great earthen tone. Some light olive, gold, tan, and russet hues. Satiny lustrous surfaces are pleasing and very smooth, free of any distractions. The devices are razor sharp, accented by a glowing, brilliant sheen. Amazing quality and eye appeal, worthy of a world class Barber dime set. Neither PCGS coin (POP 2/0) has sold in auction and the famed Simpson Collection coin is MS66. Anyone building the FINEST Registry Set of Barber Dimes needs this coin. The current Collectors Universe value is listed at $20,000. We wish you the best of luck!

Very nice words coming from Legends by indicating the coin has the look of an Eliasberg or Norweb. I am not sure I understand the reference to the Simpson coin, but it is a Legend description. Simpson must be their reference point for very thing important. Enough with that.

The PCGS POP 2/0 coin is a great compliment to the Hansen Barber Collection. The coin realized $15,275 which is high end of legend’s estimate of $12,500 - $15,000. As stated by the description, PCGV was given as $20,000. No CAC Approval on this coin. I offer no opinions, but if you do, let us know.

Superb Gem 1900-S MS67 Barber Dime
    Tied for Finest Certified at PCGS, POP 2/0
    Certification #38670448, PCGS #4823
    PCGV: $20,000 / Realized $15,275

1893-CC Half Eagle MS64+ CAC

I believe this to be the best coin that Mr. Hansen purchased in the Legend’s Regency 37 Auction. The coin ranked #9 as the most expensive in the auction. Hansen has assembled a very nice set of Half Eagles. With the addition of the finest known 1854-S a few weeks ago, the Half Eagles continues their trek to be the best of all times. He is two important coins short, and no further discussion is need there. This coin demonstrates the desire to make the best even better. Expert David Akers describes the 1893-CC Half Eagle as common. I would not be surprise at some point, to see all of the Hansen’s “common coins” as PCGS TOP POPs. It appears that he is already about 60% there.

David Akers describes the coin as: The 1893-CC is the last Half Eagle from this popular mint. It is also one of the most common, ranking in overall rarity with the 1882-CC, 1890-CC and 1892-CC. It is considerably more rare than the 1891-CC. Although most known specimens are circulated (VF and EF are typical) the 1893-CC is also available in strictly uncirculated condition. However, gem quality mint state pieces are very scarce.

Legend indicated the Hansen coin deserved to be the tied for finest known. I agree. The Legend description stated: We are pleased to have been consigned a exciting piece that is tied for FINEST graded (and deservedly so). We fully agree this coin is a borderline MS65! Tangy surfaces are clean overall. Only when using a strong glass can you find some tiny scattered ticks. Nothing is serious. Hints of faint semi-prooflike mirrors can be seen when the coin is tilted. A full booming luster beams from all over. Both sides are a brilliant deeper yellow gold color. There are NO spots or discolorations. Miss Liberty and the details are fully struck. The eye appeal is fantastic! The current Collectors Universe Value is $30,000 while the PCGS CAC Value is $31,500. This is the only appearance in auction since 2015. Opportunity knocks loud here! Good luck!

The PCGS POP 2/0 coin is a great compliment to the Hansen Half Eagle Collection. The coin realized $31,725 which is high end of legend’s estimate of $28,000 – $30,000. As stated by the description, PCGV was given as $30,000. This coin is a CAC Approved coin, so Hansen is batting 50% for CAC for those of you that CAC matters.

1893-CC Half Eagle MS64+, CAC Approved
    Tied for Finest Certified at PCGS, POP 2/0
    Certification #38530334, PCGS #8384
    PCGV: $30,000 / Realized $31,275

• Options
    MathandBikesMathandBikes Posts: 31 ✭✭✭

As always, great read Currin!

• Options
    RedCopperRedCopper Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

Hey Currin - you can always ask me about Barber Dimes. I know more about them Han Ron Guthrie.

• Options
    edited April 15, 2020 6:03PM

@RedCopper said:
    Hey Currin - you can always ask me about Barber Dimes. I know more about them Han Ron Guthrie.

You got that right. With 20 years of first hand experience, you know more than anyone. Its like a fox and a hound. Hansen is the hound, and does not appear he can catch the fox. Anything you can add would be appreciated. Is most of the top PCGS coin in the top two sets? I think it may be one of two others out there, but I don’t think very many.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

Following this quest has truly been very interesting and highly educational. Looking forward to the road ahead.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 42 LL is a very tough coin. I have owned a few and this is a very nice example.

• Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 19, 2020 4:32PM

@Currin said:
    Half Eagle Update (purchases from Srotag Collection)

In the last posting where I kicked off the major varieties countdown, I featured the 1842 “Large Letters” Half Eagle from the Srotag Collection. As mention, this was not the only half eagle that Mr. Hansen purchased from the collection. Without knowing the exact number, I can confirm that he purchased the 1858, 1861-C, 1861-S, 1863, and 1865-S specimens.

I believe the Liberty Head $5 Gold Basic Set, Circulation Strikes (1839-1908) set of 201 coins may be one of Mr. Hansen favorite series. With the addition of the 1854-S specimen a few weeks ago, The Hansen Collection is only current complete set in the registry. Although the Smithsonian National Numismatic Collection does have the ultra-rare 1854-S, the collection is not complete according to the registry. Harry W. Bass Collection had 200 of the 201 specimens, but was missing the 1854-S. By the weighted GPA given in the registry, the Bass set is about a half point better than the Hansen Set. With Hansen’s efforts to improve his set, as we can see with these updates, his GPA should continue to increase.

PCGS describes the set as: There is no other set of coins that features specimens from seven U. S. Mints—Philadelphia, Charlotte, Dahlonega, Carson City, Denver, New Orleans and San Francisco. This long-lived set includes one of the greatest rarities in numismatics, the 1854-S $5 gold piece. How many has PCGS graded? Zero! There are many sets-within-sets in this series, as most collectors focus on the coins from one particular Mint. It’s a long and challenging collection to complete, but it’s a tremendous achievement if you can do it. There are two of the 1854-s now graded by PCGS including the Hansen-Pogue-Eliasberg-Boyd AU58+ POP 1/0 specimen. This coin is the center piece of the set, but the other 200 coins are very complementary. The set has 61 additional coins that are PCGS graded finest or tied for finest; including 31 that are PCGS POP 1/0 certified specimens. There are 39 other coins that are tied for second finest certified by PCGS. Overall, 149 of the 201 coins are tied for condition census top 5 or better. The collection has only two coins (1866-S & 1870-CC) graded F12, and three coins graded between F20 and VF45 (1853-C, 1847-O & 1860-S). All the remaining 196 coins are grades AU50 or better. The top graded coin is the 1908 MS68 (Pop 2/0). There are 58 coins that are shown to be CAC Approve in the comments of the registry. There could be more without indication. This is a great set of coins even if Mr. Hansen decides to stop his upgrading. Do I see that happening? No.

I really do not have a way to know exactly how many half eagles were purchased from the Srotag Collection. I know of six that have appeared in a variety of Hansen’s registry sets. The 1842 “Large Letters” and five below are the six that I am aware of. In my update above, 1863 Pop 2/0 specimen has not been added to the basic set. I am not sure why. The basic set still shows the 1863 $5 AU55 Certification #25294061 that I am pretty sure will be replaced at some point.

1858 $5 MS63 Certification #25657961, PCGS #8276, POP 2/4 (Realized $9,000 w/ buyer’s fees)
    1861-C $5 AU58 Certification #33931717, PCGS #8289, POP 8/5 CAC ($28,687.50 w/ buyer’s fees)
    1861-S $5 AU53 Certification #25265828, PCGS #8291, POP 6/1 CAC ($24,356.25 w/ buyer’s fees)
    1863 $5 MS60 Certification #38591842, PCGS #8294, POP 2/1 CAC ($61,875 w/ buyer’s fees)
    1865-S $5 AU55 Certification #33931719, PCGS #8299, POP 4/4 ($10,406.25 w/ buyer’s fees)

1863 Half Eagle PCGS MS60, CAC Approved

I picked the 1863 Half Eagle Upgrade as the focus coin due to rarity. David Akers description: Like the other low mintage Philadelphia Mint Half Eagles of this period, the 1863 is very rare in any condition. Most specimens are in the VF to the EF range and only a few are known as high as AU. I have seen only one strictly uncirculated specimen at auction in more than 20 years. In reality, there are three according to PCGS Condition Census report. If the report is correct, there are two MS60 and one MS61. The MS61 appeared in Legend’s Regency XIX Auction in 2016. The coin realized $58,750. Mr. Hansen paid $61,875 for his coin five years later, and his coin is CAC. In 2016, the Legend coin was not CAC Approve, but could be now. PCGS Price Guide Value is $55,000. Other than from the Srotag Collection, I don’t have any additional information on the coin’s pedigree. According to PCGS estimates, the survival for this coin is around 35 specimens for all grades.

1863 Half Eagle PCGS MS60
    PCGS, POP 2/, CAC Approved
    Certification #38591842, PCGS #8294
    PCGV: $55,000 / Realized $61,875
    Provenance: From Srotag Collection

Nice report. My only comment on the 1863 half eagle is that the CAC census shows the top CAC approved grade as MS-60 (2 stickered). Nothing CAC approved in a higher grade. Nice pick up for the Hansen collection

• Options

That coin is attractive for an MS60. I've owned two 1863 $5's in my collecting career and they are so tough to find, along with the 1865.

• Options

@Boosibri said:
    That coin is attractive for an MS60. I've owned two 1863 $5's in my collecting career and they are so tough to find, along with the 1865.

Being that you mentioned the 1865, I thought I would show Hansen’s specimen. According to David Akers: The 1865 has the fourth lowest mintage of any Liberty Head Half Eagle and the sixth lowest mintage in the entire $5 series. I am not sure when or how this coin was acquired. The picture may not do justice for this coin. The 1863 looks much sexier, even as a grade lower.

1865 Half Eagle PCGS MS61, POP 2/0
    Certification #83575016, PCGS #8298
    PCPGV: $47,500 / Never appeared in auction
    Provenance: Unknown

• Options

Hansen needs to buy the 64-S in P65+ from Jay Parrino

• Options

@Currin said:

@Boosibri said:

Being that you mentioned the 1865, I thought I would show Hansen’s specimen. According to David Akers: The 1865 has the fourth lowest mintage of any Liberty Head Half Eagle and the sixth lowest mintage in the entire $5 series. I am not sure when or how this coin was acquired. The picture may not do justice for this coin. The 1863 looks much sexier, even as a grade lower.

1865 Half Eagle PCGS MS61, POP 2/0
    Certification #83575016, PCGS #8298
    PCPGV: $47,500
    Provenance: Ex: DiBello - Bass -Soluna

Thanks Ron Guth for providing additional research for this specimen. The coin has ties to the DiBello-Bass Collection. Can not get much better than that.

Gaston DiBello Collection - Stack’s 5/1970:925 - Harry W. Bass, Jr. Collection, Part II - Bowers & Merena 10/1999:1152 (as PCGS AU58), $14,950.00 - Soluna Collection - Heritage 1/2017:5915 (as NGC MS61 956565004), $37,600.00 - D.L. Hansen Collection (as PCGS MS61 83575016)

Credit: Ron Guth at the Numismatic Detective Agency

• Options
    jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love to see Hansen take over one series after another.

• Options

@Currin said:
    Jefferson nickel collectors take note!

This is a comment from a recent auction. It appears to me that Mr. Hansen and his collection of Jefferson Nickels does qualify as something that everyone should take note. I know at times some of you love to throw rocks at some of my comments. This may be one of them. It appears to me that The Hansen Collection of Jefferson Nickels is one of the All-Time Finest sets ever assembled, if not the finest. There are about a twenty active collectors of the Jefferson Nickels with 100% competed sets in the PCGS registry. The massive set requires 183 coins. The Hansen set is about 95% complete for full-step requirement specimens. The Hansen set is first place All-Times with a fairly solid lead. PCGS described the set as: Spanning nearly 80 years, the Basic Set of Jeffersons includes all dates and mints from 1938 to date. While no major rarities are in this set, the mintmarked issues of 1939 are the keys to this set. The full-step requirement ups the financial ante somewhat, with the D and S issues of the late 1930s crossing into four figures in top grade. This remains a very popular and completative set however, and will be a worthy accomplishment when complete.

It should not be a high priority for Mr. Hansen to upgrade this collection of Jefferson Nickels, but we know he does. Just a few weeks ago, I reported on another PCGS POP 1/0 specimen that went into his already #1 All-Times PCGS Registry set. You may remember the 1945-D Jefferson War Nickel, MS68+ FS. That coin was purchased Jan 19, 2020 in a Great Collections Auction. The coin realized $16,312.50 with buyer’s fee. At the time, I commented that I really have an appreciation for the diversity in which Mr. Hansen invests in his collection. Many notable specialists see purchasing a coin like this one as being a complete waste for a collector with D.L. Hansen’s budget. Well, he is doing again. If you have not taken a look at this set of Jefferson Nickels lately, I would encourage you to do so. It is truly an amazing collection for a collector that is not particular specializing in Jefferson Nickels.

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/nickels/jefferson-nickels-major-sets/jefferson-nickels-fs-basic-set-circulation-strikes-1938-present/alltimeset/159966

1958 Jefferson Nickel, FS MS66+, POP 1/0

Hansen already had a really nice 1958 Jefferson Nickel MS66FS in his collection that showed up as #2 PCGS Condition Census report. So, Jefferson nickel collectors take note! The D. L. Hansen Collection now has the top pop as well. This specimen has been floating around and available for a while now. The coin appeared in Legend’s Regency 35 Auction back in December 2019. The Legend Auction description: Jefferson nickel collectors take note! Legend Rare Coin Auctions is proud to offer this SINGLE FINEST Full Step 1958 nickel graded by either service! Flashy, brilliant, essentially Prooflike reflective luster radiates strongly on both sides. The devices are sharply struck and stand out against minimally abraded surfaces. High end quality, the eye appeal is enhanced by a touch of clear gold and pale rose over the nickel silver surfaces. The only "comp" to be found is a single MS66 FS that sold three and a half years ago for $8,225. Unpriced in MS66+ FS, we expect this stunning SUPERB GEM to realize a record bid from the top Jefferson Registry Set collector. Good luck! Legend estimated the coin to fetch $8,500 - $9,500. The coin realized $13,512.50. I cannot confirm that Mr. Hansen was an unbidder on the coin in this auction. For whatever the reason, the coin appeared in auction for a second time in just a few months.

As you have seen recently, Mr. Hansen has become a big time customer of GreatCollections Auctions. He obtained the coin in GCA’s Apr 05 sale. The coin was purchased by one bid with no challengers. The coin in this auction realized $12,937.50 with buyer’s fee. The winning bid was $11,500, so it appears the seller took a $2k lost in a matter just a few months. There is no additional information available for this specimen. I doubt this will be the last Jefferson nickel that we see purchased for this great collection.

1958 Jefferson Nickel, FS MS66+, POP 1/0
    Finest certified by PCGS
    Certification #38464214, PCGS #84063
    PCGS Price Guide: $13,500 / Realized: $12,937.50
    Ex: Unknown

I think the fact that Hansen has bought so many coins from Great Collections is more evidence that he loves coins and enjoys spending time on them. Whether it is proof gold or a jefferson nickel---he seems to have a real passion for anything numismatics.

• Options

Most Popular Half Dollar Registry Sets

This is an interesting short lived series. The last discussion on Franklin Half Dollars took place almost a year ago. This has been a difficult series for Mr. Hansen to break into. The Franklin Half Dollar set that I like to reference is the Franklin Half Dollars FBL Basic Set, Circulation Strikes (1948-1963). This 35 piece set has over 500 registry sets. My last posting a year ago, there were 478, and as of today, the number has grown to 504. This is the most popular circulation strike half dollar set in the registry. In comparison, the Walking Liberty has 154, Kennedy Half Dollars (1964-Present) have 130, Barber has 70, Seated Liberty has 34, and finally the Early Half Dollars (1794-1839) have 53. Therefore, the total basic half dollar sets for all years (1794 to Present) is 945. There is more Franklin sets than all the others combined (for this basic circulating state comparison). The situation has created a log jam at the top of the registry for Franklins.

As I indicated last year, I am not sure if I know what make the Franklin series so popular (some hints are given below). It is hard for me to see the beauty in the coin compared to the other half dollar designs. Maybe it is the fact the series lasted only 15 years. I believe the series was cut short by the assassination of our 35th president. PCGS describes the set as: Mintages are irrelevant when gauging the rarity of a Franklin issue in MS 65 or MS 65 FBL (or higher grade). Original BU rolls of Franklin half dollars rarely contain even a single MS 65 coin. Because this series is both challenging and affordable, it has become one of the most popular of all U. S. coins sets to assemble. As this is being written only twenty sets can be put together in MS65FBL, and one set is possible in MS66FBL! Most collectors assemble this set with as many FBL pieces as possible, then fill in the holes with non-FBL specimens until the right coins come along.

In the past year, The D. L. Hansen Franklin Half Dollars FBL Basic Set has move up one spot in the All-Time Finest (All Eras) rankings. The move is up to fourth from fifth, and is now third in the current list of sets. The only remaining retired set that ranks higher than Hansen is the EWP Collection that retired in 2014. The Hansen set is ranked higher than the only PCGS Hall of Fame set in the series, JFS Collection. For current rankings, the top two sets ahead of the Hansen Collection is about as solid as they can be. In this series, Hansen has no PCGS POP 1/0 specimens. This is very uncommon for Mr. Hansen to be completely locked out for having a top coin represented. According to my count, there are only eight PCGS Pop 1/0 specimens in the 35 coin series. The #1 set (Linda Gail) has three of them, 1949, 1950-D, and 1963-D. The #2 set (LOR) has four of them, 1948, 1951-S, 1957, and 1960-D. This leaves one available specimen, 1953-S MS67FBL. This specimen does not appear to be listed in any of the registry sets. The coin has never appeared in auction and does not appear on the PCGS Condition Census Report, so its whereabouts is unknown. On the positive side, 13 of Mr. Hansen’s 35 specimens are tied for finest certified by PCGS, finest being a couple POP 3/0 specimens. So, if my math is correct, there are still approx. 15 coins in his set that can be upgraded. Also, he has a second set that is ranked fifth in registry with five specimens tied for PCGS finest. There is a third completed set ranked #14 that is tribute to “Diana”. With no bonus points being awarded for additional sets, it does not appear mathematically possible for the Hansen Collection to move above third place even with the 15 upgrades that I mentioned.

1956 Half Dollar MS67+ FBL

This coin was acquired a few days ago (April 20th) in Stacks Bowers April 2020 Collectors Choice Online Auction. The coin has been available in the market for a few weeks now. The coin was being offered by Larry Shapiro Rare Coins. Prior to the SBG Auction, LSRC offered the coin through EBay. The coin was described as: This stunning 1956 superb gem Franklin half is bathed in satiny lustrous lavender, electric-blue, and mint-silver radiance with both sides handsomely encircled by a wonderful palette of sunset rainbow colors. PCGS has graded none finer and with this coin in hand; we believe anyone would be hard-pressed to disagree. This 1956 will unquestionably stand out in any registry set! CAC Approved The coin was offered for $13,250. As we know, the coin was taken down when it sold in the SBG Auction.

This is a nice POP 5/0 specimen. I cannot say that I am surprised to see coins are being purchased by Mr. Hansen in an online auction sale, because we have witnessed several coins purchased in the GreatCollections Auctions. I know Mr. Hansen is active in his collecting and purchasing of coins. He enjoys the hunt. He once told me that he uses “The Shop for Coins in This Set” function in the PCGS Registry. The function is linked to the Collectors.com website that claims to compare thousands of collectibles from hundreds of sites at once, and then let you choose the one that is right for you. We help collectors discover and shop for items to complete their collections faster and at the most competitive market prices. Mr. Hansen likes to use this site to find coins that can improve his sets. Auction Coins appear on this site. Gazes recently wrote: I think the fact that Hansen has bought so many coins from Great Collections is more evidence that he loves coins and enjoys spending time on them. Whether it is proof gold or a jefferson nickel---he seems to have a real passion for anything numismatics. I can confirm there is a lot of truth in this statement with the caveat that he loves the hunt. I do not know for 100% certainly, but I have high confidence this 1956 Half Dollar MS67+ FBL is a coin that Dell Loy Hansen found in his searching, bided on, and purchased out of enjoyment in improving a set that is only ranked #4 in the registry.

The coin realized $7,800 in the SBG online sale. I believe to be a great purchased for a coin that was being offer at a price almost twice as much. PCGS Price Guide Value lists the coin at $11,000. In addition, the coin is CAC Approved! I cannot imagine this purchase would be as enjoyable as purchasing the 1854-S Half Eagle a few weeks ago, but I can imagine that Mr. Hansen went to bed Monday night with a smile on his face.

1956 MS67+ FBL Franklin Half Dollar Specimen, CAC Approved
    Certification #38130027, PCGS #86671, POP 5/0
    PCGS Coin Guide Value: $11,000 / Realized $7,800

• Options

1839 "No Drapery" Half Dollar Upgrade

The 1839 "No Drapery" is the only year represented in Type 1, No Drapery Half Dollars. One year types sometimes form a league of their own because they are highly sought after by type collectors. As you know, The D. L. Hansen Collection is known for its “complete” US issue quest. But think about it, when you assembly a complete collection, a subset will always be a type set. The Hansen Collection has one of only two complete 133-piece U.S. Type Set, Circulation Strikes (1792-1964) in the registry. The top set is the long time collection assembled by High Desert. If I recall, this set was first completed about 10 years ago. The set contains some of the finest known coins representing the 133 distinguish types. The 1839 "No Drapery" Half Dollar is weighted 5.0 in the set, which means the difficulty is somewhere near the middle of the set.

Ron Guth describes the type as: Two types of Half Dollars were issued in 1839: the Capped Bust, Lettered Edge type and this, the Liberty Seated type. The latter design was late coming to the Half Dollar (it first appeared in 1836 on the Gobrecht Dollar, then the Half Dime and Dime, then the Quarter Dollar, and finally, the Half Dollar). The first sub-type, known as No Drapery, refers to the lack of drapery below Liberty's left arm (the viewer's right). This was the original design, as intended, and it wasn't until later in the year that the design was tweaked by adding the eponymous drapery and changing the shape of the rock on the left side of the coin. Later "No Drapery" varieties in 1840 and 1845 were caused when over-polishing of the dies wiped-out the newly-added drapery! This is a one-year year type and the first year of a rather lengthy series, thus it is the subject of great demand.

Presently PCGS POP Report have five graded MS65, with only one (Hansen’s new coin) graded MS65+. Ron Guth adds some additional details on the coin: The 1839 "No Drapery" Half Dollar is named after it's most obvious feature -- the lack of a fold of drapery beneath Liberty's left arm (the one on the viewer's right). Later in the year, the obverse design was modified, not only by adding the drapery, but by changing the shape of the rock on which Liberty sits, and by altering the folds in her gown. According to the PCGS Population Report (as of June 2011), the 1839 No Drapery Half Dollar is slighly more scarce than the 1839 With Drapery Half Dollar, not only in all grades, but in Mint State, as well. The most frequently-seen Mint State grade is MS-63 (11 graded). The 1839 No Drapery Half Dollar becomes very scarce in MS-64 and authentically rare in MS-65 (3 graded). None have been graded finer.

1839 Seated Liberty, No Drapery MS65+

This coin was first seen a few months ago in Stack's Bowers November 2019 Baltimore U.S. Coins Auction. The coin was listed as 1839 Liberty Seated Half Dollar, No Drapery. WB-2, Rarity-3, CAC, NGC graded MS-64 in an old holder. NGC Price Guide Value the coin for $47,000. The coin was from The E. Horatio Morgan Collection. This collection had several legendary coins including 1884 and 1885 Trade Dollars. One article described the collections as: Assembled primarily in the late 1980s and early ’90s, the E. Horatio Morgan Collection showcases an impressive array of rarities, with a focus on dimes, early half dollars, pattern coinage, and select world-class rarities. Highlighting this offering is the Dr. Jerry Buss specimen of the 1894-S dime, which has only recently been certified for the first time as Branch Mint Proof-63 (PCGS) CAC. Also featured is a Gem 1876-CC twenty-cent piece that was last offered in our 400 Sale of January 1988, and which has been recently graded MS-65 (PCGS). We know that Mr. Hansen’s laser focus was on the 1894-S dime. As you can see with all these great coins, the 1839 Seated Liberty, No Drapery could easily be overlooked. Or was it overlooked?

The coin sold in the November 2019 Stack Bower Auction for $75,000. The coin was described as: Rare and exceptionally beautiful near-Gem preservation for this significant one year design type produced at the inception of the Liberty Seated half dollar series. Highly lustrous with a lively frosty texture, both sides are further adorned with splashes of vivid cobalt blue, pinkish-apricot and silver-lilac iridescence. Fully struck over all features save for a few of the obverse stars, this predominantly smooth and visually appealing coin would do justice to an advanced type set or specialized Liberty Seated half dollar collection. Since the auction, this coin has arisen to the top of the PCGS registry. By grade, the coin has surpassed all other examples except for the Joseph C. Thomas Collection specimen that is graded MS67 by NGC.

Heritage comment: The coin offered here is a Plus-graded Gem, with sharply detailed design elements in most areas and just a trace of softness on some star centers on the left. The impeccably preserved surfaces are enhanced by vivid highlights of cerulean-blue, magenta, and apricot-gold toning. Vibrant mint luster shines through the patina, adding to the terrific eye appeal. This coin should find a home in the finest collection or Registry Set. The coin realized $150,000 in Heritage Auction’s April 23, 2020 Central States US Coins Signature Sale. The price realized is not an auction record.

The Hansen Collection already had an amazing 1839 Seated Liberty, No Drapery specimen that was picked up last year in a group of coins purchased from Oliver Jung. The coins were offered after the #1 Type Set was broken up. The coin I believe at the time of purchase was tied for PCGS finest and also carries the Pogue Pedigree. I not sure of the future of the coin, but I hope it will remain in the collection in the Hansen’s #2 set. I personally like the strike of the MS65+ coin better. Presently, Hansen has two very nice examples of this one year type.

Hansen #1 - 1839 50C No Drapery, WB-101, Die Pair 2
    1839 Seated Liberty, No Drapery MS65+, PCGS POP 1/0
    Finest Certified at PCGS, Ex: E. Horatio Morgan
    Certification #38681270, PCGS #6230
    PCGS Coin Guide Value: unknown / Realized: $150,000

Hansen #2 - 1839 Liberty Seated Half Dollar. No Drapery, WB-1
    1839 Seated Liberty, No Drapery MS65, PCGS POP 4/1, CAC Approved
    Tied for 2nd Finest PCGS, Ex: Brett Pogue
    Certification #32916369, PCGS #6230 (572000)
    PCGS Coin Guide Value: $175,000 / Realized: unknown

Are there any experts on Seated Liberty Half Dollars? I am wondering if both of these coins are the same die variety. For the 1839, the registry indicates there are four different Wiley Bugert 1839 No Drapery Varieties. For the MS65+, it is listed as WB-101, Die Pair 2. Is that different than the Pogue WB-1?

• Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like his 65 better than the + graded coin. This is of course based on the Truviews. He will probably keep both which is awesome for him.

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,157 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of these coins is not like the other...is not like the other at all.

• Options
    edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer the reverse strike of the Morgan to the Pogue.

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• Options

While I haven’t seen either in hand, the Pogue coin seems like the nicer coin.

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Trueview makes the Morgan coin look like it’s circulated - particularly the right obverse field.

Like Boosibri said...haven’t seen it in hand though.

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 26, 2020 8:16PM

I prefer the 65+. I feel like Currin is making an understatement in saying he prefers the strike. The rims are so much stronger and the shield on the eagle is so much better defined. How does it compare to proofs? It's getting there. For me that difference outweighs and preferences about luster/toning.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options

I agree that the 65+ has a better strike. When you blow up the trueviews on CoinFacts the surfaces of the 65 are far superior to the + coin. IMO.

• Options

I wonder which coin Mr. Hansen likes better?

• Options
    RedCopperRedCopper Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

Has Mr. Hansen obtained any new Lincoln Cents and is not putting them in his Set Registries ?

• Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RedCopper said:
    Has Mr. Hansen obtained any new Lincoln Cents and is not putting them in his Set Registries ?

Curious also, especially the 1921.

• Options

@neildrobertson said:
    I prefer the 65+. I feel like Currin is making an understatement in saying he prefers the strike. The rims are so much stronger and the shield on the eagle is so much better defined. How does it compare to proofs? It's getting there. For me that difference outweighs and preferences about luster/toning.

I agree 100%. This discussion clearly demonstrates there are differences in preferences. Some people favor Fords and others like Chevs. I wrote this in a posting on this site in 2003: I have a couple of friends that love “tone coins” more than mint white. Not me! I have “never” seen a tone coin that I liked. I received some interesting replies. I would say over the past 17 years, I have warmed up somewhat to nicely tone coins, but they are not my preference over all else. I would agree that the Pogue-Jung Specimen has a better and more “consistence” toning. So, if your primary preference in a coin is appeal, especially toning appeal, then I can understand why you would favor the Pogue-Jung coin.

In the late 1990s, I read an article entitled “Assembling the Ideal 20-Century Type Set” authored by David W. Lange. I have not read the article in the last 10 years or so, but if I recall the he suggested to place emphases on the coin strike. The coin strike was more important than the grade. At that time, and still do, I bought unto the concept. As everyone knows in the TPG era, grade is the driver, and Miss CAC is setting in the passenger seat. I am not sure the criteria of CAC Approval, but does the coin’s appearance play a part? I can not believe strike is a big factor. If so, I can not see how the Pogue-Jung coin was CAC Approved. Just asking.

So, my preference when judging a Ford and a Chev side by side, I most of the time I will lean to the best strike (best car manufacture). I pulled the reverse side photos for both coins from their last auctions. The strike of the left side of the eagle looks much weaker on Pogue-Jung coin (also look at the arrow feathers). That is where I made my decision because the strike of the Horatio Morgan specimen I think is no question in my mind... better. From appealing and toning, I would agree that I like Pogue-Jung, but if I had to choose one. The Horatio Morgan specimen would the coin that I would rather have in my collection.

Strong Eagle Strike

Weak Eagle Strike

• Options

@Currin said:
    Half Eagle Upgrade

We have recently witnessed several half eagle upgrades in the D. L. Hansen Collection. The 1839 issue is the first coin in the 201 coin basic Liberty Head Circulation Strikes Half Eagle set. With the recent purchase of the 1854-S half eagle, the D. L. Hansen set moves onto top spot ahead of Harry W. Bass Collection. As most know, the 1854-S half eagle was the hole in the Bass Collection. Most of the Bass coins were graded by PCGS (all but three) and the weighted GPA at this point in time is about a half of a point higher than the Hansen Collection. So, this upgrade is one of many that will be needed to move the collection up to the finest graded set. The Eliasberg and Smithsonian sets are complete, but several of the Philadelphia mint issues were represented by proof examples. There have been other historic complete collections of Liberty Head Circulation Strikes Half Eagles. I am pretty confident the Josiah Lilly Collection was completed. Some other sets may be completed collections assembled by Green, Norweb and Boyd. It would take some research to determine the all known (recorded) completed Liberty Head Half Eagle sets but I feel the number to be fairly low. Ten to twelve sets, but this range seem a little high to me. Is this Hansen Collection the only present day private owned completed set? I am not certain, but I think so. There could be only one other set due to the rarity of the 1854-S half eagle.

PCGS describes the 201-piece set as: There is no other set of coins that features specimens from seven U. S. Mints—Philadelphia, Charlotte, Dahlonega, Carson City, Denver, New Orleans and San Francisco. This long-lived set includes one of the greatest rarities in numismatics, the 1854-S $5 gold piece. How many has PCGS graded? Zero! There are many sets-within-sets in this series, as most collectors focus on the coins from one particular Mint. It’s a long and challenging collection to complete, but it’s a tremendous achievement if you can do it. The description is a little out dated because now PCGS has graded two coins with the third known uncertified coin given by the Josiah Lilly estate to the Smithsonian Institution.

1839 Liberty Half Eagle, MS64, First Year of the Design

This is the second coin that was purchased at Heritage’s April 2020 Central States US Coins Signature Auction. Over the weekend, we saw the 1839 No Drapery Half Dollar. This new gold addition is also a first year of the design. David Akers comments: This is the first year of the new type design by Christian Gobrecht. Although not especially rare in lower grades, it is nevertheless much more rare in all grades than any of the Philadelphia Mint coins of the previous type except the 1834 Crosslet 4. High grade specimens, i.e. coins grading AU or Unc., are very rare and choice mint state pieces are virtually unobtainable. By a substantial margin, the finest 1839 I have ever seen was the superb gem Dean Mathey specimen that was sold in the 1973 NASC Sale for a then remarkable $2250. I have omitted any listing for the so-called "1839/8" Half Eagle because in my opinion, there is no such thing. All 1839 Half Eagles have the same raised dot on the neck near the lowest hair curl and I have never seen a convincing example of a legitimate overdate. (The existence of such an overdate is also illogical since there is no other example after the very earliest days of the U.S. Mint where a new, supposedly improved design began life as an overdate. It seems improbable to me that the dies would have been prepared in 1838 for a brand new design and then repunched with a new date before use. Certainly overdates abound in the early days of U.S. coinage but they are decidedly uncommon after the 1820's and with just one exception (the 1796/5 Half Dime) overdates always exist within the same type and never in the first year of a new design.) The head of Liberty on this and the other issues of 1839 is distinctly different from the head on coins dated 1840 and later. The difference is sufficient that the 1839 should be considered a one year only type coin.

The new Hansen 1839 Half Eagle replaces a very nice MS63+, Certification #81788183. As you have seen recently, Mr. Hansen not only replaces lower grade coins, but he also routinely replaces Condition Census coins as we have witnessed in the last two updates. The new specimen was recently listed on Park Avenue Numismatics website. The coin was listed for $56,700. I have not been able to make a pedigree connection to the coin. Heritage described the coin as: This piece is sharply struck and exhibits brilliant light yellow luster with satin surfaces. Scattered marks are expected at the MS64 grade level. For those collectors interested in die variations, stars 6 and 7 are recut, as on both of the other MS64 PCGS examples. The coin realized $50,400. PCGS Price Guide Value sets the worth of the coin at $60,000. The coin is not CAC Approved. Would the same coin realize $70,000, if stickered? You be the judge whether it would or not. This is another nice addition to The Top Pocket Collection and moves a PCGS Condition Census Top 5 coin into the number 2 set. At least until a better coin comes along.

Hansen #1 - 1839 Liberty Half Eagle
    1839 Half Eagle, MS64, First Year of the Design
    Tied for Finest PCGS, POP 3/0
    Certification #38519558, PCGS #8191
    PCGS Coin Guide Value: $60,000 / Realized: $50,400

Hansen #2 - 1839 Liberty Half Eagle
    1839 Half Eagle, MS63+, First Year of the Design
    PCGS Condition Census Top 5, POP 1/3
    Certification #81788183, PCGS #8191
    PCGS Coin Guide Value: $34,500 / Realized: unknown

Ill take a stab at your question what a MS64 for this coin would be valued at if it was CAC. First, CAC on 19th century gold brings a premium so we know it would bring more than the 50,000 Hansen paid for his coin. Second, CAC has only stickered one 64 (and none higher) and that appears to be the NGC 64 auctioned in 4/15 for $54,050. Keep in mind the NGC coin sold 5 years ago and since then still it is the only CAC coin at 64. That might change but i would say it is unlikely. The CAC price guide lists the value at $65,300. That seems like a pretty good estimate to me---a top pop tied with a few others and the sole CAC coin----should bring a 15% premium over the $50,000 coin. If the NGC coin crossed over to PCGS----i think it is a $70,000 coin.

• Options

@tradedollarnut said:
    Strike is 5% or less of a grade. One of those coins is completely original, pristine and worthy of the grade. The other...not so much.

I can't speak to if this is true or not from a technical grading perspective. I will take your word for it.

However, comparing the two strikes of these coins, and clearly the 65+ is clearly miles better.

All of that being said, I think the 65 has much better eye appeal than the 65+, and I am concerned about the obverse of the 65+.

I think Hansen is better served with the 65 remaining in his set for the time being.

• Options
    PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1839 half dollars above is an example of a situation I would be a bit annoyed with if condition census for everything was my goal. I just don't particularly like either of those coins. I'd rather find a lower graded one but of course that's not Hansen's goal for most coins so he has to go after what's available.

• Options

The obverse really concerns me. A distinct lack of luster on the right-hand side of the obverse, some noticeable rub on the breasts, and some apparent carbon spots.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file