Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Hansen watch.

Comments

• Options
    CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jerseycat101 said:
    However, comparing the two strikes of these coins, and clearly the 65+ is clearly miles better.

All of that being said, I think the 65 has much better eye appeal than the 65+, and I am concerned about the obverse of the 65+.

I think Hansen is better served with the 65 remaining in his set for the time being.

When I reference the Hansen sets, I often use the phase “for the time being”. He is constantly upgrading and changing his sets. From my observation, “for the time being“, I see both coins remaining in the Hansen Collection. Naturally, the higher grade coin with the most points will go in the top set, and the other specimen will go in the #2 set. They both are in the Hansen Collection. If the commonly agreed best coin, Joseph C. Thomas Specimen comes available, especially in an auction, I would not be at all surprise that coin would be purchased and placed in Hansen’s top set.

One thing that is a fact, there is no fear in Mr. Hansen upgrading coins. I think there are just a few coins that are a “sure thing” to still be in his top set 10 years from now. It don’t matter if they are condition census or not, if a better coin becomes available, the coin is subject to be replaced.

There are many of us that don’t understand that concept. There are a few current collectors that I see that are always looking for better coins. For example Dr. Charles Link is a long time collector that replaces coins in his collecting, even rare coins he owned for a long time. I will say once again, collectors like Dr. Link and Mr. Hansen are always looking to improve their collections. It must be a lot of fun to be able to do that.

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • Options

A Colossal Barber Half Dollar Collection

I don’t feel this to be an overstatement nor exaggeration. We have witness firsthand the assembling one of the best collections of Barber Half Dollars, ever. We can go back to the summer of 2018 when the Hansen Collection upgraded 59 of 73 coins according to a Perfection posting. Most if not all were CACs. The upgraded included 15 Top Pop 1/0 PCGS certified coins! Another 17 upgrades are tied with this finest known. That was the catalyst of this great collection of Barber Half Dollars. A few months later I reported that there were 9 upgrades, five PCGS finest, three tied- PCGS finest (2/0) and one is POP 1/1. These upgrades put the Hansen Set over the top for the all-time finest PCGS Barber Half Dollars Basic Set. The previous All-Time Finest, Hall of Fame set, Dr. and Mrs. Steven L. Duckor Collection with a weighted grade of 66.78. The Hansen set was then couple ticks better at 66.81. Today, the set is 66.91 and I know he has a couple higher graded coins than in his top set.

1895-S Barber Half Dollar MS67 POP 2/0 CAC – realized $85,187.50, Ex: SHIREMAN -DUCKOR
    1896-O Barber Half Dollar MS67 POP 1/0 CAC – realized $123,375 Ex: ELIASBERG- STELLAR
    1903-O Barber Half Dollar MS67 POP 1/0 CAC – realized $47,000 Ex: DUCKOR-PRICE.
    1906-D Barber Half Dollar MS67 POP 1/0 CAC – realized $49,937.50 Ex: GARDNER
    1908-S Barber Half Dollar MS67 POP 2/0 CAC – realized $18,212.50 Ex: PRICE -GARDNER
    1911-D Barber Half Dollar MS67POP 3/0 CAC – realized $25,850 Ex: ELIASBERG
    1912-D Barber Half Dollar MS67 POP 1/0 CAC – realized $18,212.50 Ex: FORMULA 1 COLLECTION
    1913-S Barber Half Dollar MS67 POP 1/0 CAC – realized $28,200 Ex: DUCKER - FRIEND
    1915-S Barber Half Dollar MS67 POP 2/0 CAC – realized $15,862.50 Ex: SHIREMAN

In 2018, Hansen added the Major Varieties set to his All-Time Finest list with the purchase of the 1892-O 50C Micro O MS65 CAC Cert 25200593 POP2/2. Today he leads Major Varieties 66.87 to 66.72. At that time, Hansen still trailed Bruce Scher’s Barber Half Proof All Time Finest set. In Sept 2018, he took the lead in proofs for the first time.

Since early 2019, the collection has maintained the top of the registry page in basic circulation strikes, major varieties, and proof. This would be a good place to stop the Barber Half Dollars and move to something else. Right? Well that did not happen. So, what has happen in the last 12 months?

Today, the Hansen Collection Barber Half Dollars has the three top spots in Barber Half Dollars with Major Varieties, Circulation Strikes and Proof (1892-1915) Each set requires 98 coins. The Diana set is a Hansen tribute set. The total coins need to accomplish this task is 294 coins.

These sets are continuing to be upgraded as you can see. I want to focus back on the Circulation Strikes sets a little more. This top circulating strike set alone is breathtaking. Has the Hansen set a bar so high for himself that when he does something amazing, it really doesn’t’ appear amazing anyone? Think about it a minute, it takes a lot of work to build one set to this level of accomplishment, but three? Even if the money was available, the work is still there. Building these duplicate sets have been accomplished without losing focus on the 73 other series in the US collection. With post -1964 coins, I don’t know how series now is needed for complete collection. Appear a new series is added every couple years.

His top set does not have all his top pop coins. This may be contributed to not having time to keep them all organized “collectively”. The registry is not designed for multiple sets. It is a manual process to move coins from one set to another.

Finest Certified by PCGS- The collection has 22 of the 73 basic circulating strike coins that are PCGS POP 1/0 specimens. The latest addition is the 1911-S, Ex: Duckor-Queller. The coin is presently listed in his #3 set. The Finest Certified by PCGS specimens represents 30% of the basic circulating strike set.

Tied Finest Certified by PCGS- The collection has 32 of the 73 basic circulating strike coins that are PCGS POP 2(+) / 0 specimens. I know of at least one of these coins that are not in the top set. The Tied Finest Certified by PCGS specimens represents 44% of the basic circulating strike set.

Tied 2nd Finest Certified by PCGS- The collection has 17 of the 73 basic circulating strike coins that are PCGS POP 1(+) / 1 specimens. These are condition census coins that have only one PCGS POP 1/0 specimen that is better. Another way to look at it, the D. L. Hansen Collection has 22 of the 39 PCGS certified POP 1/0 Barber Half Dollar specimens. The Tied 2nd Finest Certified by PCGS specimens represents 23% of the basic circulating strike set.

Condition Census Certified by PCGS - If you do the math, then you will see 97% of the top specimens are in one the three groups above. Only two coins in the basic that are not. The first is the 1892-O POP 6/2. This coin is Tied 3rd Finest Certified by PCGS. In addition, but not included in the basic set, Hansen’s best 1892-O “Micro O Specimen” is a POP 2/2. The lowest condition census specimen of the top coins is the 1910-S that tied for 4th spot (PCGS POP 2/3) in the Condition Census report. The collection has both the 1910-S POP 2/3 specimens and at least one other lower graded 1910-S coin in the third set.

In addition, when combining the three sets, Mr. Hansen has a complete set of CAC Approved coins. If you considered the CAC in all his sets, 128 coins are identified as CAC Approved which represents 58% of coins in all the CS sets. We don’t know the total coin count of the D. L. Hansen Barber Half Dollars. From the registry alone, there are close to 300 specimens in both finishes. DLRC have about 14 of his Barber Half Dollars duplicates for sale. We do not know how many other duplicates that he may have that are not listed in his top three sets.

1911-S Barber Half Dollar MS67+, PCGS POP 1/0, Ex: Duckor-Queller

The coin was purchase in Heritage’s April 23, Central States US Coins Signature Auction. The coin was describes as: This Superb Gem 1911-S remains the only MS67+ that PCGS has certified, and neither PCGS nor NGC report a finer example. In its 1975 appearance as part of the Dr. E. Yale Clarke Collection, Stack's wrote: "Brilliant Uncirculated gem. A splendid satin-like surface with light golden toning." Years later, the same firm offered this piece as part of the Queller Family Collection, exclaiming: "This outstanding coin is certainly among the finest known of this date and could possibly rival the MS67 Eliasberg piece!" In fact, the coin rivals or exceeds both the Eliasberg and Emery-Nichols coins, which are likely pedigreed directly to the San Francisco Mint. The present coin is the finest certified specimen today by virtue of its Plus designation and CAC endorsement. Sharply struck from perfect, uncracked dies, both sides display essentially full detail. The surfaces are fully brilliant, with satiny silver luster and traces of field reflectivity. Faint iridescent toning is evident amid golden highlights. This will make a wonderful contribution to any high-grade set of Barber half dollars, and it is an unsurpassable Registry Set candidate. The Hansen Collection already had both of the PCGS certified MS 66+ POP 2/1 Specimens. The new POP 1/0 specimen is a point better than his other two. The Collection now has the top three 1911-S Barber Half Dollars certified by PCGS.

Here are the three Hansen’s coins as they appear in PCGS screenshot.

Hansen Top Specimen - 1911-S Half Dollar, Singular MS67+
    The Finest Certified, CAC Approved, Ex: Duckor-Queller
    Certification #36311289, PCGS #6523
    PCGS Coin Guide Value: $42,500 / Realized: $43,200 (Auction Record)
    Provenance: Dr. E. Yale Clarke Collection - Stack's 10/1975:422 - Queller Family Collection - Stack's 10/2002:823, $14,950 - John C. Hugon Collection - Heritage 1/2005:4260, $21,275 - Legend Numismatics, sold privately in 2/2007 - Dr. & Mrs. Steven L. Duckor Collection - Heritage 8/2010:3234, $37,375 - Greensboro Collection, Part V - Heritage 8/2015:4095, $42,300 – Heritage Central States US Coins Signature 4/2020:3720, $43,200 – D. L. Hansen Collection

https://youtu.be/mdsNL1UOJ5E

Video of this coin was produced by Heritage Auctions. Thanks

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • Options

Another Barber Half Dollar Upgrade

Friday, I posted an in-depth description of D. L. Hansen Barber Half Dollar Collection. While digging into the collection, I ran across a nice half dollar purchased in Stacks Bowers March 2020 D. Brent Pogue Collection Part VII: Masterpieces of United States Coinage Auction. Being the coin was buried in the #2 Set, I missed the update a few weeks ago. I think the coin will eventually find its way into Hansen’s top set.

This 1904-O Barber Half Dollar specimen is not an attention getter, but the historical coin now and forever will carry a Pogue-Hansen Pedigree. As with many of Pogue’s coins, they have been out of sight for many years. The coin does appear on the PCGS Condition Census report, but no other information is given. Our resident expert Ron Guth had this to say: The 1904-O Half Dollar is decidedly scarce and it is difficult to locate in Mint State grades above MS64. In terms of the total number of Mint State examples, the 1904-O compares favorably with other scarce dates such as 1903-S, 1908-S, and, surprisingly, 1904-S (which is only slighy more rare). Superb quality 1904-O Half Dollars are very rare and top out at MS67. The strike on the 1904-O is usually quite good -- not full, but closer than most O-Mint Barber Halves. Neither of the two PCGS MS67 examples has appeared at auction, and one of them might be the unusual Prooflike Gem from the 1998 sale of John Jay Pittman coins. At that time, the cataloguer, David Akers, called the coin either a Branch Mint Proof or a possible presentation piece. He described the coin as not just being Prooflike, but that it had all the hallmarks of a Proof. That coin brought a record $28,600 almost twenty years ago; who knows what it would bring today? My research does not produced additional information, but I don’t think the Pogue coin is the John Jay Pittman specimen that Mr. Guth spoke of. It would be nice if he has time to confirm or deny, or connect a pedigree prior to Pogue.

1904-O Barber Half Dollar MS67, PCGS POP 2/0, Ex: Pogue

The coin was described in D. Brent Pogue Collection Part VII Auction as: Satin to softly frosted luster blends with powder blue, antique gold, pearl gray and pale pink iridescence on both sides of this gorgeous Superb Gem. The detail is exceptional for a circulation strike half dollar of this design type, especially one from the New Orleans Mint. We note razor sharp definition that extends even to the eagle's left talon and shoulder on the reverse. Virtually pristine, this expertly produced and preserved coin makes a lovely impression. In 1904, the New Orleans Mint produced 1,117,600 half dollars that entered circulation unceremoniously where they saw constant use for decades. Thanks to its fairly substantial mintage, it can be easily found in lower grades, mostly about Good-4. The 1904-O rapidly becomes scarce at the middle circulated grade levels. In Mint State, finding an appealing example becomes quite difficult, with PCGS CoinFacts estimating 120 in all Uncirculated grades, a quarter of these at the Gem level or above. As with many of the coins in the Pogue Collection, this half dollar is at the very peak of quality for preservation and for eye appeal. This outstanding representative will be a trophy in the case of its new owner.

I have not seen the coin in hand, but it does appear to be a beauty. Stack’s estimated the coin to bring between $25,000 - $30,000. The coin realized $23,400. PCGS valued the coin at $35,500, so it appear to me that market for this coin seems a little soft. As result, Hansen landed this coin at a nice price. The coin does not have the CAC Approve sticker, so that may be some of the reason for softness.

If the coin makes Hansen’s top set, it will replace a very nice specimen purchased from the Perfection Collection. The Perfection Specimen is CAC Approve as they are the hallmark for his coins. Also, the Perfection Specimen has an amazing pedigree including Clapp, Eliasberg, and Shireman. The coin is traced back to John M. Clapp purchasing the coin directly from the New Orleans Mint. Mr. Clapp passed in 1906, so these may be some of his last additions purchased by him from the mints.

Both the top two 1904-O Barber Half Dollar specimens in The Collection are truly worthy of the honor. I only hope to see Mr. Hansen someday display them side by side. If he can pickup the Pittman Specimen, than what sight the trio will make.

Hansen Top PCGS Graded Specimen – Superb Gem 1904-O Half Dollar
    None Graded Finer, MS67, POP 2/0, Ex: Pogue
    Certification #38634062, PCGS #6499
    PCGS Coin Guide Value: $35,500 / Realized: $23,400
    Provenance: Stakes Bowers March 2020 - The D. Brent Pogue Collection Part VII: Masterpieces of United States Coinage Auction, Lot 7298 – D. L. Hansen Collection

Hansen #2 PCGS Graded Specimen –Gem 1904-O Half Dollar
    PCGS MS66+, CAC Approved, POP 2/2, Ex: Clapp, Eliasberg, and Shireman
    Certification #25200219, PCGS #6499
    PCGS Coin Guide Value: $27,000 / Realized: Private Sale
    Provenance: New Orleans Mint - John M. Clapp Collection - John H. Clapp Collection, sold intact in 1942 - Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr. Collection - Bowers & Merena 4/1997:2101, $14,850 - David Lawrence, sold privately - Dr. Peter Shireman Collection, sold privately on 4/28/1997 - Dr. Peter & Janice Shireman Collection - Heritage 1/2016:5406, $27,025 - “Perfection” Collection (PCGS Set Registry) Private Sale 2018 – D. L. Hansen Collection

• Options
    RedCopperRedCopper Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

Cutting - What is missing from the Hansen collection of mint state Barber half dollars are the Proof Like
    “O” mint half dollars. There is an 1892 o bought by Laura Sperber for more than $100,000 from the Thaine Price collection. The 1894 o from the James B Pryor collection and an 1898 o all of which are six figure coins. Until Hansen has at least one of these coins , he is missing out .
    on completion.

• Options

Seated Liberty Quarter Dollar Upgrade

Two Seated Liberty Quarter Dollars were purchased from the Mahal Collection in Heritage’s April 23rd 2020 Central States US Coins Signature Auction. The enjoyment of posting this thread is not only watching one of the greatest all time collections being assembled, but also learning about some other fantastic collections that are seldom seen or written about. I had not heard of the Mahal Collection before seeing these coins offered in the Heritage Sale. I still was not able to find a lot of other details. The collection was mentioned in a CoinWeek article from last summer when Heritage Auctions first featured the collection: Collectors of Philippine coinage will find a wealth of opportunities in The Mahal Collection. The United States struck Philippine coinage at the San Francisco and Philadelphia Mints, and later at the Manila Mint that opened in 1920. In all, the Philippines were under U.S. sovereignty from 1903 to 1936. This interesting collection presents a partial history of those years through its coinage. The April 2020 sale was featured as Part 2, with a few US issues offered. Mr. Hansen purchase two of the three Seated Liberty Quarter Dollars.

I have always seen the Seated Liberty coins as a strong series for the Hansen Collection. PCGS describes the quarters as: you build a type set of this series you are taking on a serious collection. If you build this date set you are dedicated, well-to-do and almost certain to be rewarded. Classic coins abound, including the extremely rare 1873-CC No Arrows and the almost as rare 1870-CC and 1873-CC With Arrows. The list of challenging coins goes on and on, but the set has been completed before and you can be next. The same could be said for the other denominations, Half Dimes, Dimes, Half Dollars, and Dollars. All his Seated Liberty Series are pretty strong. Still, he is constant looking to improve.

1843-O Seated Liberty Quarter Dollar MS64, Tied Finest PCGS Certified, POP 2/0
    Replaces 1843-O 25C Large O FS-501, MS63+ Cert #33738869, PCGS #395927, POP 1/2, CAC
    Hansen’s #3 Specimen - 1843-O 25C MS62 Certification #82125828, PCGS #5405

The 1843-O Seated Liberty Quarter Dollar is fairly rare in mint state. The Hansen collection now has specimens in MS62, MS63+ and a MS64. The new MS64 specimen is tied for finest certified by PCGS. Our resident expert Ron Guth describes the coin as: The 1843-O Quarter Dollar appears to have survived in numbers similar to those of most of the other dates from the 1840's. In circulated grades, this date can be found with relative ease up to Extremely Fine. However, in Mint State, this date becomes decidedly rare. According to the PCGS Population Report, the 1843-O Quarter is the third rarest of all the O-Mint Quarters from the 1840s (exceeded only by the 1849-O and the 1847-O). To date, PCGS has certified only 6 Mint State 1843-O Quarter Dollars, the finest of which is a single PCGS MS64.

The coin was purchase in Heritage’s April 23rd 2020 Central States US Coins Signature Auction, and realized $7,200. This coin is a different variety than Hansen’s MS63+ Specimen. The coin is described as “Small O, Cracked Reverse Die”. This distinction is not indicated on the holder. Heritage described the coin as: The Small O is the usual variety of 1843-O quarters encountered in the numismatic world, yet they are extremely rare in Mint State grades. PCGS has only certified eight Mint State 1843-O Small O quarters, and a single Mint State 1843-O “Large O” quarter. This Choice Mint State piece has frosty silver luster that shines through vivid gold toning over both surfaces. The reverse exhibits several die cracks. The single Mint State 1843-O Large O quarter is Hansen’s MS63+. The MS63+ is an ex: Eliasberg specimen last sold at auction in 2017 for $16,450. The coin is listed as a Die Variety.

PCGS Price Guide places the coin value at $9,500. We know the coin is from the Mahal Collection, but no additional pedigree information is given. The coin appear to be (need to be verified by expert) the same coin sold in Heritage 6/2000:7252, $6,440 and appeared in Stack's/Bowers 2/2015:1510. The coin is not CAC Approved.

1843-O Seated Liberty Quarter Dollar MS64
    Condition Census, Tied Finest PCGS Certified, POP 2/0
    Certification #39215515, PCGS #5405
    PCGS Coin Guide Value $9,500 / Realized: $7,200
    Provenance: The Mahal Collection

1870 Seated Liberty Quarter Dollar MS66+, Finest PCGS Certified, POP 1/0, CAC Approved
    Replaces 1870 Seated Liberty Quarter Dollar MS62 Certification #36380057, PCGS #5476
    Hansen’s #3 Specimen - 1870 Seated Liberty Quarter Dollar MS61 Cert #81763775, PCGS #5476

The 1870 Seated Liberty Quarter Dollar is not as rare as the 1843-O, but still not what would be called common. The Hansen collection now has specimens in MS61, MS62 and a MS64. This upgrade is a very nice improvement. The new MS64 specimen is a PCGS POP 1/0 Specimen. Our resident expert Ron Guth describes the coin as: In 1870, the Philadelphia Mint produced 86,400 Quarter Dollars for circulation, plus an additional 1,000 Proofs for sale to collectors. This was a significant increase in production over the previous year, but still a relatively small number of coins. The 1870 tracks fairly closely with the 1868 in terms of value and survival rates, even though the 1868 has a much smaller mintage. Mint State examples of the 1870 Quarter are somewhat scarce, and they tend to be low-end (MS-62 or lower). Gem examples are very scarce and they appear on the market very infrequently. The strike quality for this year is inconsistent and some coins show weakness on some or all of the obverse stars. Thus, fully struck examples should be worth a premium.

The coin was purchase in Heritage’s April 23rd 2020 Central States US Coins Signature Auction, and realized $14,400. The coin is described as “Briggs 1-A, Rusted Liberty”. I don’t know if this is a new variety in Mr. Hansen’s collection. Is there a Seated Liberty Quarter Dollar variety expert in the house? Heritage described the coin as: 1870 25C MS66+ PCGS. CAC. Briggs 1-A. The obverse has considerable die rust covering much of Liberty, with other die characteristics consistent with the Briggs 1-A die pair. This Premium Gem is stunning and displays brilliant and frosty silver luster with bold design definition. Both sides have considerable silver surfaces with splashes of light golden toning at the upper obverse and lower reverse. This splendid piece will appeal to the Liberty Seated quarter lover and connoisseur.

PCGS Price Guide does not provide a value for a MS66+. PCGS value the MS66 at $10,000. We know the coin is from the Mahal Collection, but no additional pedigree information is given. The coin is CAC Approved.

1870 Seated Liberty Quarter Dollar MS66+, CAC Approved
    Finest PCGS Certified, POP 1/0
    Certification #25253887, PCGS #5476
    PCGS Coin Guide Value unknown / Realized: $14,400
    Provenance: The Mahal Collection

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 11, 2020 7:10PM

The Briggs book only lists 2 die pairs for 1870:
    1-A business strike
    2-B proof dies
    I don't know if any business strikes were produced with the proof dies, but it is possible.
    Both obverse dies have the same date position.
    The dies differ based on the amount of rust on Ms. Liberty, recut elements on the reverse, and die polish lines.

• Options

@yosclimber said:
    The Briggs book only lists 2 die pairs for 1870:
    1-A business strike
    2-B proof dies
    I don't know if any business strikes were produced with the proof dies, but it is possible.
    Both obverse dies have the same date position.
    The dies differ based on the amount of rust on Ms. Liberty, recut elements on the reverse, and die polish lines.

Thanks of the info Clint. It is interesting that HA place such emphasis on the variety Briggs 1-A, Rusted Liberty when there is only one in business strike. Seem unusual to me. Any thoughts to why?

I may discovered the answer to my question. Maybe they are using the Rust Die variety to explain the condition of the coin.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Currin said:

@RedCopper said:
    Cutting - What is missing from the Hansen collection of mint state Barber half dollars are the Proof Like
    “O” mint half dollars. There is an 1892 o bought by Laura Sperber for more than $100,000 from the Thaine Price collection. The 1894 o from the James B Pryor collection and an 1898 o all of which are six figure coins. Until Hansen has at least one of these coins , he is missing out .
    on completion.

I agree these presentation pieces would make very nice additions to this amazing Collection of Barber Half Dollars. I spoke on the 1894-O Pryor Specimen. I think the 1892-O is still in Bob Simpson Collection, so that one may never be available for Dell Loy to even consider. I don’t know anything about the 1898-O. I need to do some research.

He does have the 1900-O presentation piece, the fourth that you did not mention. This one is not six figures, but still a very nice piece with an historic pedigree. Are there more than just these four?

Hansen 1900-O Specimen
    The Norweb-Price 'Presentation' Specimen
    PCGS MS66PL (Proof Like), POP 1/0 : 4/1 , CAC Approved
    Certification #16398776, PCGS #86487
    PCGS Coin Guide Value: Unknown / Realized: $43,125 (HA Auction 2010)
    Provenance: Norweb Collection - Bowers & Merena 11/1988:3621 - Dr. Thaine B. Price - David Akers 5/1998:149 - Dr. Steven Duckor - Heritage 8/2010:3198, $43,125 – D. L. Hansen Collection

If the coin was designated by PCGS as “PL”, that’s not the same thing as designating it as “Specimen”.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

Mark- A specimen can be PL ?
    A PL is not necessarily a specimen ?
    Would you say if we asked
    6 Numismatists which is which
    what would be the answers ?

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RedCopper said:
    Mark- A specimen can be PL ?
    A PL is not necessarily a specimen ?
    Would you say if we asked
    6 Numismatists which is which
    what would be the answers ?

A “specimen“ can be (and is almost always) PL.
    A PL is certainly, not necessarily a “Specimen”.
    The answers of the 6 numismatists would be dependent on the numismatists and the coins.😉

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

Why is this 1900 o a Specimen ?
    I can see it is PL.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 1907 QE is a stunner! :o

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Currin said:
    Lincoln Cent Upgrades.
    1917-S Lincoln Cent, RD MS6+ RD

As previous described, this specimen is from the Duckor Collection and was recently sold in the Heritage Auction. This Lincoln Cent may be the only Ductor coin purchase to upgrade the top Lincoln set in the Hansen Collection. There could be more, they just have not posted. Jaime Hernandez describes the coins as: The 1917-S Lincoln cent is one of the semi key dates in the wheat Lincoln Cent series. As it is, most San Francisco struck cents from the teens and twenties are very difficult to find in uncirculated grades and many times even in circulated grades. In circulated grades the 1917-S becomes a bit difficult to find in XF condition and higher. In uncirculated grades most examples range from MS60-64 with possibly just under 1,000 examples surviving in these grade ranges. It will require a lot of searching and several hundred dollars to acquire an example in MS60-MS64 condition. Examples in MS65 condition are considered elusive as there are probably about 50 examples in this grade only, with very few being finer. In MS66 condition it is considered very scarce as of 2011 PCGS has only graded one lone example in MS66 condition.

All the Ductor cents have spectacular eye appear. This one is no exception. Heritage describes the specimen as: This piece is softly lustrous with rich copper-orange and reddish coloration. Although some die erosion is present in the fields, the main devices are well-defined. Neither side exhibits bothersome abrasions. Some faint amber-colored toning in the reverse field just left of the C in CENT serves as a pedigree marker on this piece, although its distinction as the Duckor coin will, in time, serve as a greater distinguishing attribute.

The coin realized $13,200. PCGS Price guide places the coin value at $21,500. To me it appears the realized price as a little soft for a Ductor CAC Specimen. Thoughts? The other 1917-S 1C MS65+ Red PCGS sold in Heritage Auction in January 2020 for $9,000. That coin is not CAC Approved. Maybe the $13,200 value is on spot.

1917-S Lincoln Cent, MS65+ RD, CAC Approved
    Just One Example Known Finer, POP 2/1
    Sole Gem Red Coin With CAC Approval
    Certification #37470383, PCGS #2503
    PCGS Coin Guide Value: $21,500 / Realized: $13,200
    Provenance: Dr. and Mrs. Steven Duckor Collection

@Currin Based solely upon the Truview image, my opinion is that the reduced realized price was due to it's limited eye appeal.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love that quarter eagle and also that SLQ is fantastic as well

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful dime!

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Catbert said:

@Currin said:
    Lincoln Cent Upgrades.
    1917-S Lincoln Cent, RD MS6+ RD

As previous described, this specimen is from the Duckor Collection and was recently sold in the Heritage Auction. This Lincoln Cent may be the only Ductor coin purchase to upgrade the top Lincoln set in the Hansen Collection. There could be more, they just have not posted. Jaime Hernandez describes the coins as: The 1917-S Lincoln cent is one of the semi key dates in the wheat Lincoln Cent series. As it is, most San Francisco struck cents from the teens and twenties are very difficult to find in uncirculated grades and many times even in circulated grades. In circulated grades the 1917-S becomes a bit difficult to find in XF condition and higher. In uncirculated grades most examples range from MS60-64 with possibly just under 1,000 examples surviving in these grade ranges. It will require a lot of searching and several hundred dollars to acquire an example in MS60-MS64 condition. Examples in MS65 condition are considered elusive as there are probably about 50 examples in this grade only, with very few being finer. In MS66 condition it is considered very scarce as of 2011 PCGS has only graded one lone example in MS66 condition.

All the Ductor cents have spectacular eye appear. This one is no exception. Heritage describes the specimen as: This piece is softly lustrous with rich copper-orange and reddish coloration. Although some die erosion is present in the fields, the main devices are well-defined. Neither side exhibits bothersome abrasions. Some faint amber-colored toning in the reverse field just left of the C in CENT serves as a pedigree marker on this piece, although its distinction as the Duckor coin will, in time, serve as a greater distinguishing attribute.

The coin realized $13,200. PCGS Price guide places the coin value at $21,500. To me it appears the realized price as a little soft for a Ductor CAC Specimen. Thoughts? The other 1917-S 1C MS65+ Red PCGS sold in Heritage Auction in January 2020 for $9,000. That coin is not CAC Approved. Maybe the $13,200 value is on spot.

1917-S Lincoln Cent, MS65+ RD, CAC Approved
    Just One Example Known Finer, POP 2/1
    Sole Gem Red Coin With CAC Approval
    Certification #37470383, PCGS #2503
    PCGS Coin Guide Value: $21,500 / Realized: $13,200
    Provenance: Dr. and Mrs. Steven Duckor Collection

@Currin Based solely upon the Truview image, my opinion is that the reduced realized price was due to it's limited eye appeal.

It looks RB to me and the reverse splotch doesn't help. I'm surprised this stickered. JA is usually very fussy over Lincolns.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 17, 2020 9:29AM

@Currin said:

When I reference the Hansen sets, I often use the phase “for the time being”. He is constantly upgrading and changing his sets. From my observation, “for the time being“, I see both coins remaining in the Hansen Collection. Naturally, the higher grade coin with the most points will go in the top set, and the other specimen will go in the #2 set. They both are in the Hansen Collection. If the commonly agreed best coin, Joseph C. Thomas Specimen comes available, especially in an auction, I would not be at all surprise that coin would be purchased and placed in Hansen’s top set.

How many really commonly agree that the Joe Thomas NGC MS67 coin is the finest coin? I viewed that coin at the 2003 ANA and did not like it at all as a gem. MS64 imo. It had both obvious high point rub and missing field luster....very obvious imo. As I recall around 80% field luster. Maybe it was graded very high because of the color and the collection it came from? Compared to the very original MS63 I once owned (and now a MS64) I only saw those 2 coins at most 1 technical grade apart. In my mind, if the Hansen MS65's are gem, that's realistically the finest graded. The last time I saw the Thomas coin auctioned around 7-10 yrs ago it fetched "decent" MS65 money.....around half of what he paid for it. I view the MS67 grade on the Thomas coin as a "legacy grade." Finding ANY 1939 ND half with full luster and zero rub is quite difficult....in any grade.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

@roadrunner said:

@Currin said:

How many really commonly agree that the Joe Thomas NGC MS67 coin is the finest coin? I viewed that coin at the 2003 ANA and did not like it at all as a gem. MS64 imo. It had both obvious high point rub and missing field luster....very obvious imo. As I recall around 80% field luster. Maybe it was graded very high because of the color and the collection it came from? Compared to the very original MS63 I once owned (and now a MS64) I only saw those 2 coins at most 1 technical grade apart. In my mind, if the Hansen MS65's are gem, that's realistically the finest graded. The last time I saw the Thomas coin auctioned around 7-10 yrs ago it fetched "decent" MS65 money.....around half of what he paid for it. I view the MS67 grade on the Thomas coin as a "legacy grade" of the Knoxville Collection.

Is the 67 ex: The Norman Stack Type Collection? He did have an NGC 67. Should be plated in his book, if anyone here has it and can check. And FWIW, I only ask because if it's ex: Stack, Knoxville had nothing to do with the grade.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

It's probably the same coin. The 2003 NGC pop reports showed a lone MS67 with next best at 64. No doubt that was the Knoxville coin....and probably ex-Stack. I don't recall there ever being 2 MS67s listed.

The current NGC pop report shows 0 MS67's which means the lone 67 was down graded/crossed at lower grade. Even if it was lowered to a MS66, CAC hasn't stickered a single ND half above the 64 grade. Which sort of supports what I was saying....a true MS65 ND half might just be the finest known.

• Options

@roadrunner said:

@Currin said:

How many really commonly agree that the Joe Thomas NGC MS67 coin is the finest coin? I viewed that coin at the 2003 ANA and did not like it at all as a gem. MS64 imo. It had both obvious high point rub and missing field luster....very obvious imo. As I recall around 80% field luster. Maybe it was graded very high because of the color and the collection it came from? Compared to the very original MS63 I once owned (and now a MS64) I only saw those 2 coins at most 1 technical grade apart. In my mind, if the Hansen MS65's are gem, that's realistically the finest graded. The last time I saw the Thomas coin auctioned around 7-10 yrs ago it fetched "decent" MS65 money.....around half of what he paid for it. I view the MS67 grade on the Thomas coin as a "legacy grade." Finding ANY 1939 ND half with full luster and zero rub is quite difficult....in any grade.

There have been some discussion on the Thomas 1839 Seated Liberty, No Drapery NGC MS67. I used the terms “commonly agree best coin”; I agree this is debatable and could be better worded. I based the comment on PCGS recognizing the NGC MS67 as an estimated MS66 which will be a POP 1/0, if crossed. It is the finest NGC graded specimen by at least a couple points. In the Heritage description: A powerfully appealing example of this issue, and the single finest known of this historic first-year type. To say the coin is commonly agreed finest grade coin would be more absolute.

To let everyone decide for themselves, I thought I would post the coin. The strike is pretty good. The coin realized $172,500 in a Heritage Jan 2011 Auction. This is an Auction Record for the coin. It later appeared in a Heritage August 2011 Auction, and the coin did not sale. Present whereabouts unknown to me. Continue the share any additional thoughts you may have.

https://youtu.be/AEI1WtnQkJg

https://youtu.be/XCAGw5mm5RE

• Options
    edited May 18, 2020 8:42PM

Don't let the "2 points higher than anything else" cloud our judgement. I ran into that same situation back in 2006 on another "finest known for the date" better date seated half in NGC MS66....2 points higher than anything else graded at either service. Came out of a major old time auction sale in the 1990's. It had all the ingredients to be "the" coin. When I got that coin in hand I was stunned - it was MS63/64, no better. Missing field luster and signs it was at least modestly wiped in its life reducing the luster. That coin was eventually downgraded to NGC MS65....and it's still the lone MS65 at either service. And its Heritage auction price (as MS65) within 6 months of that previous MS66 appearance was 1/3 the price - essentially MS64 money. No bidders were fooled. So this does happen. And NGC has stickered none above 64, suggesting that as both a 66 or 65, that "finest" graded is just another 64. So this does happen.

There are still no CAC 65's or better of an 1839 ND - despite at one time their being a MS67. My recollection of the once NGC MS67 ND half is much the same. I didn't like the coin as a 65. But, I'm ok if someone else does like it as a 65/66. We all see things differently. CAC apparently doesn't like it as a 66 or you can bet it would be stickered. Maybe it eventually crosses to PCGS MS66 and rates as the "best?" For now, CAC doesn't certify ANY of the MS65 or higher ND halves....and I'm not surprised. The video of the MS67 really doesn't show it well. It was a fairly deeply toned coin too. For a better view of the coin I'd go back to the Heritage archives when the coin was sold in the 2009-2011 period....see link and color photo below. But in the end, only an impartial, in-hand inspection really counts.

In reviewing the auction links below it refreshed my memory. The obverse field luster on that were broken up quite a bit. There is a very wide and long flat spot on Liberty's right leg - not just from strike imo....and in a totally different color than the surrounding areas. It looks worn and oxidized there. And that same reddish color appears in patches in the right obv field....not good since one is a coin high point and the other a low point. If they are the same it suggests the "luster" there (or lack of it) is the same. Note too that the flat rims look smooth and rounded - those really should be rough and covered in luster on a real gem specimen....often the first place the luster starts to go.

The reverse is very sharp with no corresponding strike flatness in that same area. Overall, very clean on marks as I recall. If this coin were cross-worthy into a PCGS MS66 it would have already been done. No doubt many here would call the coin AU58 if they were going by the auction color photo below and not knowing the assigned grade. Here's a case where the auction photo highlights the flaws. Even the reverse video photo shows luster weakening across the lower protected fields.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/seated-half-dollars/half-dollars/1839-50c-no-drapery-ms67-ngc-pcgs-6230-/a/1151-5558.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

• Options

Thanks for the discussion roadrunner. It is great when a knowledgeable contributor with lots of experience chimes in. Sounds like with Hansen two coins, the Horatio Morgan and Pogue specimens, he may have the 1839 50C No Drapery covered. Do you know any other specimen that could make the PCGS MS66 ranks? It does not sound like there is a perfect coin for this date. This may be one of those dates where there is not one coin that stands out the best.

• Options

Jefferson Nickel Update

This is not the first update on the Jefferson Nickels series, but they are rare. As we have seen with some other modern series, Hansen works hard on updating and improving his modern collection. As I have stated before, I think this demonstrates “The Collection” has something for everybody. In a collection with coins valued hundreds thousands of dollars as well as a few in the millions of dollars, a series as Jefferson Nickels could be very low on Hansen’s priority list. That does not seem to be the case. This update will feature two new coins.

Hansen has the All-Time Finest Set in all eras for Jefferson Nickels FS Basic, Circulation Strikes (1938-present). The set can be thought of as being in two parts. The first being 1938-1964, where Hansen is solid at the #1 spot. The other being 1965-Present, where Hansen is in second behind the Ray Overby Collection. To break this down even further, the 1965-1967 can be thought of as a mini-set. Joshua McMorrow-Hernandez provided this explanation that recently appeared in CoinWeek. The mid-1960s was a colorful time in American numismatics, with the United States Mint making a series of changes to accommodate a terrible coin shortage brought on by widespread hoarding of 90% silver circulating dimes, quarters, and half dollars as the price of silver rose. To lessen the cost of producing circulating coinage, the Mint switched the composition of the dime and quarter to copper-nickel clad, and reduced the amount of silver in the half dollar to only 40%. And to help dissuade the removal of coins from circulation, the mint temporarily removed mintmarks from all coins beginning in 1965.

The Jefferson Nickels for these three years are very difficult to find with Full Steps strikes. According to POP report, PCGS have certified only two 1965 Full Steps, one MS65FS and one MS66FS. 1966 was the bonanza year with seven certified, 2-MS64FS, 4-MS65FS, and one MS66FS. There are no 1967 PCGS certified Full Step Jefferson Nickels in any grades. The total run for this short series is only 10 Full Steps. Only two MS66FS coins have been PCGS certified and Mr. Hansen recently acquired both.

1966 Jefferson Nickel, MS66FS

I will say that I am not captivated with the inconsistent toning on this coin. The inconsistency appears on both the obverse and reverse. I know the coin is not judged on the toning rather the strike, and more precisely, the details in the steps. Not being an expert, it does appear the steps are all there. Our forum expert Ron Guth provided this comment: The 1966 Nickel is an extreme rarity with Full Steps. PCGS has certified only six examples, the best of which are four in PCGS MS65FS. Since this comment was published, Mr. Hansen has somewhere found a MS66FS.

The only history that I can find on the coin is that it sold in a GreatCollections Auction. Ian Russell must be extremely proud and excited with the great auction site they have built. I am seeing quite a few coins being actioned by GCA that is ending up in the Hansen Collection. It would make my research easier if PCGS would include GCA in their auction result report. It is about time to get it done. The coin sold Nov 03, 2019, so I am very hesitate to say that Mr. Hansen purchased the coin in the auction. The coin realized $9568 with buyer’s fees.

1966 Jefferson Nickel, MS66FS (Gold Shield)
    Certification #37816880 / PCGS #84078 / POP 1/0

1965 Jefferson Nickel, MS66FS

This is the monster coin of the two Top POPs. Were the coins purchased as a pair? Did they come from the modern monster coin dealer? Very possible, but maybe not. David Lawrence Rare Coins had the coin briefly listed on their website. The coin was described as: An extremely rare date with full steps, this example of the 1965 Jefferson is certainly high end for the grade and the finest graded by PCGS. Extremely Rare means only two in all grades! Also, the coin had a brief appearance on eBay in an offer by NFC Coins. The ask on the coin was $40,000, and the listing was ended by the seller “because the item is no longer available”.

Ron Guth comment: The 1965 Nickel is an extreme rarity with Full Steps. PCGS has certified only one example, a single PCGS MS65FS. I am not sure when Mr. Guth made the comments on PCGS webpage, but both of Hansen’s POP 1/0 specimens has been certified after the comments.

The Roster for 1965 Jefferson Nickels Full Step

1- D.L. Hansen Collection, MS66FS, Certification #37334057
    2- Ray Overby Collection, MS65FS, Certification #21133128

Now, that is a very short roster. If you want a 1965 MS-FS for your collection, good luck in trying to get one from either of these great collections. Other than mention above, I cannot find any 1965 MS-FS have ever appeared in auction. PCGS Price Guide values the coin a $40,000.

1965 Jefferson Nickel, MS66FS (Gold Shield)
    Certification #37334057 / PCGS #84077 / POP 1/0

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think Hansen should be very happy at his great accomplishment with Charlotte Gold, without going down the rabbit hole of varieties. If he were to pursue varieties in all of his sets, they would not be completed with his time on this Earth. With some series there are as many varieties as there are are "basic" date-mint mark coins.

OINK

• Options

Another 1965-1967 Mint Set Update

A couple updates ago, I provided a discussion on the small 15-coin 1965-1967 Mint Set. This is not a registry set. I am not sure why, there is a 15-coin 1965-1967 SMS Set, but not for mint state. In the last couple weeks, we saw The Hansen Collection replaced two Jefferson Nickels FS in this short date range. Both were PCGS POP 1/0 specimens. This new coin is not a POP 1/0; but the coin is every bit as nice and tied for finest known Roosevelt Dime, POP 3/0.

Last week, I shared that Joshua McMorrow-Hernandez provided this account in a recent appearance of CoinWeek. The mid-1960s was a colorful time in American numismatics, with the United States Mint making a series of changes to accommodate a terrible coin shortage brought on by widespread hoarding of 90% silver circulating dimes, quarters, and half dollars as the price of silver rose. To lessen the cost of producing circulating coinage, the Mint switched the composition of the dime and quarter to copper-nickel clad, and reduced the amount of silver in the half dollar to only 40%. And to help dissuade the removal of coins from circulation, the mint temporarily removed mintmarks from all coins beginning in 1965.

The image below is a snapshot for the 15 coins from Hansen’s large 1792-Present complete set. As you can see the Hansen team is a little slow in updating. Including today’s new coin, here are the three coins that I have identified that should show up at some point in the future. When these updates are added to the 15 coin set, the Collection will have eight tied for finest specimens, and two POP 1/0 coins.

1965 Jefferson Nickel, MS66FS, Certification #37334057 / PCGS #84077 / POP 1/0
    1966 Jefferson Nickel, MS66FS, Certification #37816880 / PCGS #84078 / POP 1/0
    1965 Roosevelt Dime, MS68FB, Certification #37717559, PCGS #85130 / POP 3/0

1965 Roosevelt Dime, MS68FB

In the 3 coin set for 1965-1967 Roosevelt Dimes, this is the second MS68FB tied for finest known dime. The other is beautiful 1967 Dime MS68FB Certification #03675362. I have seen better Full Bands before, but I believe they are all there. Coin Expert Jaime Hernandez commented: The 1965 Roosevelt Dime has an extremely large mintage of over a billion coins struck. However, they are very difficult to find displaying Full Bands details on the reverse design. Only well struck examples display Full Bands and usually these are the earler stuck examples from a pair of dies. For the 1965-P Roosevelt Dime, PCGS has graded less than 100 coins in total with the FB designation in all grades combined. The PCGS POP Report is showing 93 as of today.

This 1965 Roosevelt Dime, MS68FB appeared in auction in 2019. The other 1965 MS68FB coin is blast white example that sold in Heritage’s March 2013 US Coin Signature Auction in Dallas. This specimen is presently in The Halcyon Collection. The coin realized $3,819 and may be the Auction Record for a non-error coin. There is no public information on the third 1965 MS68FB coin. The coin does not appear to be listed in the registry.

The Hansen specimen is only the second time that a 1965 Roosevelt Dime, MS68FB PCGS coin has appeared in public auction. The coin sold in Legend Rare Coin Regency 32 Auction on May 2019. The auctioneer described the coin as: WOW! What else can you say about this amazing dime? The quality and eye appeal are simply stunning! Sharply struck, frosty lustrous and awash in beautiful rose and gold toning with arcs of teal, magenta, and pale blue throughout F.D.R.'s hair lines. The surfaces are PRISTINE and the eye appeal is beyond compare! This is tied for FINEST graded, from an original mintage of over 1.65 BILLION. The first year of the new composition, this coin is an important first year of type coin. The only PCGS MS68 to ever sell in auction brought $3,819 back in March 2013-that was half a dozen years ago. The current PCGS Price Guide value is listed at $4,150. NONE are finer at PCGS, and this is worthy of the FINEST of sets. We can see this coin bringing a RECORD price when the hammer finally falls. Good luck!

Legend’s estimated the coin value at $3,500 - $4,000. The coin realized $2,937.50. I don’t think the coin was purchase directly by the Hansen Team from Legend a year ago. I believe the coin was picked up recently and more than likely by private transaction. This is a great addition to the modern portion of the D. L. Hansen Collection of US Coins.

1965 Roosevelt Dime, MS68FB (Gold Sheid)
    Certification #37717559, PCGS #85130 / POP 3/0
    PCGS Price Guide Value: $4,150 / $2,937.50 in 2019 Auction

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

1851-C Liberty Half Eagle, Variety 1, MS63+
    2nd Finest PCGS Certified, Top Graded CAC Approved
    Certification #83577716, PCGS #8247, POP 1/1
    PCGS Price Guide Value: $46,500 / Ask $42,500
    Provenance: Old Southern Family – David Winter sold to a gold coin collector - David Winter sold to D. L. Hansen (5/2020)

I think you mean Doug Winter

• Options

@Boosibri said:
    I think you mean Doug Winter

So True. I corrected the error. The wrong Mr. Winter, David is the one that designs the little houses.

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,157 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2020 4:40PM

Not even in the same galaxy...

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad to see you back! All OK???

@tradedollarnut said:

Not even in the same galaxy...

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2020 10:05PM

Both are PCGS MS67+FBL CAC. Both are in Gen 6.0 holders. Both have modern TrueViews. Both were sold by Legend Auctions. Big difference in price.

1958 Franklin Half - PCGS MS67+FBL CAC - D.L. Hansen Specimen

Legend lot description:

Tied for FINEST graded with the monster toned example that brought a world record price of $129,250. Like that coin, this one is beautifully toned with amazing eye appeal.

Boldly lustrous surfaces gleam with a strong, brilliant vibrance. Every detail is sharply struck up from a precision blow from the dies. Again, like the other example, this coin's eye appeal is mostly imparted by a dramatic palette of color. Sunset orange dominates and is joined by emerald green, violet, and magenta tones on the obverse, while the reverse has some pale blue within the olive-gold shades that dominate The surfaces are clean and smooth, free of any distracting marks, lines or anything else. This coin is totally worthy of its lofty grade.

PCGS 25, NGC 7, CAC 13. There are three coins graded total in MS67+ FBL, only one of which has ever sold in auction, the world record breaking example that brought $129,250 after multiple rounds of fierce bidding. Collectors Universe value has not been adjusted. As one of the FINEST of all Franklin half dollars known, this coin will see very strong bidding when the hammer falls. Good luck!

1958 Franklin Half - PCGS MS67+FBL CAC - Linda Gail Specimen

Legend lot description:

We unhesitatingly pronounce this the BEST and wildest 1958 Frankie in existence! EVERYTHING about this coin is mind boggling! EVERYTHING! 1000% PERFECT surfaces adorn both sides. Use a neutron microscope and you will find NO flaws of any size, any where. An intense luster nearly blinds you from all over. The color rivals ANY of the BEST Northern Lights coins-really! Electric shades of killer neon like violet/pearl green/raw blue explode all over the obverse in a sparkly way. The reverse has a killer mix of iridescent reddish rims, with phenomenal nearly neon like greenish gold centers. We rank the colors a 10+ on our 1-10 color scale we used for our North Lights coins. Do not just take our word on wild colors-see this coin. Also, ALL of the details are sharply struck. The eye appeal is outrageous! PCGS 18, NGC 4, CAC 20 (obviously resubs). The PCGS Population in MS67+ FBL is two, with NONE FINER; NGC has graded nothing finer than MS67 FBL. In the ENTIRE SERIES, none have been graded finer than MS67+ FBL. The current Collectors universe Value is $17,000. We can easily see this coin blowing past that long before the sale even starts. Again, we rank this coin as great as any of the top Northern Lights Dollars which sold for "beyond moon money." Be prepared!

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 1, 2020 4:16AM

@Currin said:
    I am not Mr. Hansen, but I would rather have the $13K specimen and pocket the additional $115K. Anyone agree or >disagree?

The more expensive coin has too many distracting marks. (the one on the forehead really bothers me)
    I'd grade the Hansen a 67A and the other a 67C although the multicolored one has a nicer strike on the reverse.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2, 2020 10:02PM

Never mind.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yosclimber said:

@roadrunner said:
    In reading current "pedigrees" you would think all that matters is Pogue, Gardner, and Hansen...among a few others. A lot came before them. I recognize quite a few coins in Hansen from earlier appearances in the 1970's and 1980's....a lot of that information now lost.

The provenances of those coins may not be as lost as you think.
    Ron Guth @BestGerman saved many of them, in PCGS CoinFacts.

Agreed. Ron / @BestGerman did a great job adding provenance / pedigree history to CoinFacts. There's a lot of rich information there.

• Options
    edited June 13, 2020 9:57PM

The Hansen 1850-0 half is not the same coin as the Auction '85 / Stack's March 1984 Glen Halsell collection. Dug out the catalog this morning. Though, almost a twin in overall look....but the toning spots don't match up. One nice thing about the "Apostrophe" sale catalogs of '79 - '90 is that they photographed the coins much better than usually seen up to that point....especially the Paramount Sections that David Akers put together. And the best coins of the 1970's and 1980's seemed to often end up in those sales....a plus for tracking pedigrees.

I wrote the Pedigree section for Heritage in 2004 on the 1867-s quarter and 1858-0 dime knowing that otherwise, a big chunk of their owner history (including mine) on probable finest known specimens would eventually disappear. I went through Coin Facts last night before posting....trying to fill in some of those holes other Hansen seated coins might have.

Hansen's 1865-s MS66 quarter goes back before Whitlow in the later 1980's. It's ex-Auction '85 lot 1161 at $9750, bought by dealer Jay Miller for resale. It's pedigree is further listed there as ex-NERCA July 1980 (Jim Halperin's Rare Coin Investment Fund) and ex-Auction '84. I have a hand written note on the lot also calling it ex-Stacks Spring 1978 sale (?). The 3 left obv field toning spots uniquely identify this one. To me, it doesn't appear to be ex-James Stacks. Yet Aker's description of the coin in Auction '85 includes the fact they had seen all the unc specimens over the previous 20 yrs and this was the finest by far. In fact, Akers bought the superb gem 1865-s out of James A. Stack in March 1975 for a very strong $2600 and then appearing in his early 1976 Rare Coin Catalog for $5000+.....clearly signaling that was a full gem coin If the Auction '85 specimen was the James Stack coin, they surely would have listed that fact in the Auction '85 lot description. Taking Aker's comments literally, there are 2 superb gem 65-s quarters out there, with the Auction '85/Hansen specimen being the finest. I'd like to nail this one down once and for all.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file