Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Hansen watch.

1848586878890»

Comments

• Options
    GoBustGoBust Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's both incredibly rare and incredibly beautiful!

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

In comparison of all time finest sets, I find it interesting that 51.6% of Hansen's set are DCAM. Bass (0%) , Eliasberg (2.44%), and Garrett (0%) seems to indicate that PCGS only attributed DCAM long after Eliasberg, Bass and Garret assembled their collections. Smithsonian probably had their coins regraded?

In comparing historical records DCAM's should have very limited or no applicability. Especially considering Hansen has a number of coins that were in the great collections years before DCAM was a grading standard.

OINK

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 15, 2023 11:15PM

... As with the half eagle proofs, the Hansen set that is in development is much finer in grade than the historic sets, including the Smithsonian set.

To make a fair comparison, actually you should only compare the grades of the Hansen set with the grades of the same dates in the other sets.
    Otherwise you could see a bias, because the more easily obtainable dates (likely those in the Hansen set) may be more available in higher grades than the rarer ones.

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2023 2:24PM

John Dannreuther adds:"[T]he Harry Bass Core Collection has a very deceptive example that has been called a Proof by nearly every numismatist that has examined it. Mr. Bass included it in his complete Proof set and considered it a Proof. However, the author recently realized it was not a Proof, as it has the die pair used for the circulation strikes. It is just as deceptive as an 1870 circulation strike that was called a Proof by several grading services, until the author proved that two different dated dies were used for the two formats.”

I do not find the die pair argument to be compelling evidence that the 1870 $3 Bass is not a proof.
    In many series, proofs and business strikes are made from the same die pair.

• Options
    JBatDavidLawrenceJBatDavidLawrence Posts: 500 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Currin said:

1872 Half Eagle, PR65 Cameo PCGS, Ex: Ohringer Family Trust

This update is first Hansen update since the May 27 which was the last update from Historic Harry W. Bass Jr. Core Collection Part 3. A three-month dry period is a long time for the Hansen Team. Will we see if this accusation starts the upgrades to gear back up? Let’s watch and see what happens next.

I'll throw in 2 asides here regarding the purchase of the 1872 Proof $5.
    1. I was teaching at Witter Coin U the night of this auction and Max Brand (an actively dealing YN) and I were perusing some internet auctions and I saw this coin. It wasn't a sale that we had pinpointed due to the busy summer schedule, but I immediately recognized it as a date that we didn't have in the set. So I placed a few bids in the auction (I LOVE the $25k credit card allowances for SkyMiles purposes that Scotsman allows), and I didn't find out until 2am that we had won the coin. So, that was pretty exciting. I hadn't arranged the bidding with Mr. Hansen on this particular coin but I mentioned it to him once I got it in-hand and I knew that DLRC wasn't going to have the opportunity to sell the coin. It was just too nice and Mr. Hansen gobbled it up.

1. There has been a lack of major updates, but the modern improvements and the additions of 2022 modern issues don't often make the news! But, we haven't been ignoring the collection. Unfortunately there just haven't been many major issues as far as upgrades or holes to fill that have been popping up in major auctions. Until tonight of course...
    John Brush
    President of David Lawrence Rare Coins www.davidlawrence.com
    email: John@davidlawrence.com
    2022 ANA Dealer of the Year, Past Chair of NCBA (formerly ICTA), PNG Treasurer, Instructor at Witter Coin University, former Instructor/YN Chaperone ANA Summer Seminar, Coin World Most Influential, Curator of the D.L. Hansen Collection
  • Options
    JBatDavidLawrenceJBatDavidLawrence Posts: 500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 10, 2023 7:04PM

1872 $5: I think this photo shows a lot more about the coin...it's stunning!
    https://davidlawrence.com/inventory/750646

John Brush
    President of David Lawrence Rare Coins www.davidlawrence.com
    email: John@davidlawrence.com
    2022 ANA Dealer of the Year, Past Chair of NCBA (formerly ICTA), PNG Treasurer, Instructor at Witter Coin University, former Instructor/YN Chaperone ANA Summer Seminar, Coin World Most Influential, Curator of the D.L. Hansen Collection
  • Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBatDavidLawrence

Which coins were purchased tonight?

• Options

Congratulations to the new owner of the 1872 half-eagle! I enjoyed helping catalog it, if only for the pleasure of in-hand scrutiny.

James at EarlyUS.com

On the web: http://www.earlyus.com
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Curious if the 1798 Small Eagle $5 was considered. One of the couple still missing.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

Historic Harry W. Bass Jr. Core Collection Part 4 (21 of 24)

The Last Pre-Civil War Three Dollar Gold Proof (1854-1860)

The Three Dollar Gold Proof Basis set is a run of 36 coins without any major type changes. When I organized this series, I think of three distinct runs. First the difficult pre-civil war run from 1854 to 1860 that contains seven coins. The second run is the shorter civil war era from 1861 to 1865 requiring only five coins, but equal as difficult. The series is completed with the 24 coins from post-civil war years (1866 to 1889). The Hansen Team completed the civil war run with the purchase of the Bob Simpson 1861 $3, PR65CAM that sold in the Heritage 2022 ANA Sale. If you recall, it took almost six months before the registry set was updated.

The Hansen seven-piece pre-civil war Three Dollar Gold Proofs are beyond words. In the 2023 sales of the Tom Bender and Harry Bass Collections, the Hansen Team purchased three of these rare coins from each collection, adding or replacing six of the seven coins. This occurred between January and August of 2023. Let’s take a look starting with the 1854.

1854 – Ex: Bender Collection, purchased January 2023 in Heritage Fun Sale, realizing $108,000.
    1855 - Ex: Harry W. Bass, purchased May 2023 in Heritage CSNS Sale, realizing $312,000.
    1856 - Ex: Bender Collection, purchased January 2023 in Heritage FUN Sale, realizing $408,000.
    1857 - Ex: Harry W. Bass, purchased August 2023 in Heritage ANA Sale, realizing $192,000.
    1858 - Ex: Harry W. Bass, purchased May 2023 in Heritage CSNS Sale, realizing $90,000.
    1859 - Ex: Bender Collection, purchased January 2023 in Heritage FUN Sale, realizing $192,000.
    1860 – Purchased from David Lawrence Rare Coin in approx. 2019, PCGS current value $95,000.00.

1857 Three Dollar Proof, PR64 Deep Cameo, Ex: Kosoff / Bass

Rare Early Proof, Only Five Examples Traced

In the Heritage Auction listing of the Bass Sale, the cataloger described the coins as: The Philadelphia Mint struck a small number of proof three-dollar gold pieces in 1857, but no mintage figures were recorded. John Dannreuther estimates approximately 12 proofs were struck, making the issue a great rarity today. PCGS CoinFacts estimates the surviving population at 6-8 examples in all grades, while Dannreuther offers a more conservative estimate of only 5-6 specimens extant. Ron Guth has traced only five coins in our roster below, with one of those in the National Numismatic Collection at the Smithsonian Institution.

Let’s start with the PR66 Deep Cameo PCGS, Ex: Louis E. Eliasberg specimen which is considered to be CC#1 and finest known by two points. Following this finest known leader is a nice pair of PR64 Deep Cameo PCGS, which both recently appeared in auction. The Tom Bender specimen sold from the Bender Family Collection, Part III (Heritage, 2/2023), lot 3673. The Bender specimen realized $144,000. Six months later, D.L. Hansen picked up his superb choice specimen in the Harry W. Bass, Jr. Foundation Collection sale held by Heritage in August 2023. If you snooze you lose, Hansen had to pay almost $50K more for this PR64DCAM. The next coin in the roster is a third PR64 Deep Cameo which is uncertified certified and located National Numismatic Collection at the Smithsonian Institution. The fifth and last specimen is a PR64 PCGS from the King of Siam Proof Set.

A Roster of Significant Examples provided by Ron Guth of the Numismatic Detective Agency

1. PR66 Deep Cameo PCGS. - George F. Seavey Collection (William H. Strobridge, who sold the Seavey Collection intact to Lorin G. Parmelee before the auction took place, 6/1873); Lorin G. Parmelee Collection (New York Coin & Stamp Co., 6/1890), lot 1280; William Woodin Collection (Thomas Elder, 3/1911), lot 1144; John H. Clapp Collection, sold intact via Stack's in 1942; Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr. Collection (Bowers and Ruddy, 10/1982), lot 280, $20,900; Auction '84 (Paramount, 7/1984), lot 882, $24,750; A Connoisseur's Collection (Superior, 1/1989), lot 339, $29,700; Jascha Heifetz Collection (Superior, 10/1989), lot 4243, $49,500; Auction '90 (Superior, 8/1990), lot 1295, $52,800; Dennis Mendelson Collection (Superior, 2/1991), lot 2728; Chicago Sale (Superior, 8/1991), lot 689, not sold; Century Collection (Superior, 2/1992), lot 2598, not sold; Dr. Jack Adams Collection (Superior, 5/1992), lot 2663, not sold; January/February Auction (Superior, 1/1993), lot 1331; King of Siam Proof Set (Superior, 1/1993), lot 1331, $28,600; New Orleans Collection (Heritage, 4/2015), lot 5285, $141,000.

2. PR64 Deep Cameo PCGS. CAC. Abe Kosoff, sold privately on 8/3/1971; Harry W. Bass, Jr., Harry Bass Core Collection (HBCC# 4008). Heritage 8/2023), lot 9015, realized $192,000, Purchased by David Lawrence Rare Coins (8/2023) for The D.L. Hansen Collection.

3. PR64 Deep Cameo PCGS. CAC. - T. Harrison Garrett Collection; Robert and John Work Garrett Collection; John Work Garrett, circa 1919; Johns Hopkins University, by bequest in 1942; Garrett Collection (Stack's, 3/1976), lot 395; Auction '81 (RARCOA, 7/1981), lot 394, $30,000; Dennis Mendelson Collection (Superior, 2/1991), lot 2729, $35,200; Michael Keston Collection (Superior, 1/1996), lot 44, $30,250; Dr. Richard Ariagno Collection (Goldberg Auctions, 5/1999), lot 698, $37,400; Dr. Jon Kardatzke Collection (Goldberg Auctions, 6/2000), lot 1240, $26,450; Pittsburgh Elite (Superior, 8/2004), lot 969, $43,125; [Tom] Bender Family Collection, Part III (Heritage, 2/2023), lot 3672, $144,000.

4. PR64 Deep Cameo Uncertified (grade per Jeff Garrett). - National Numismatic Collection at the Smithsonian Institution (ID #1985.0441.0537).

5. PR64 PCGS. - F.C.C. Boyd Collection / "World's Greatest Collection" (Numismatic Gallery, 1/1946), lot 272, $95; Grant Pierce & Sons Collection (Stack's, 5/1965), lot 1242, $2,600; Charles Jay Collection (Stack's, 10/1967), lot 275, $2,400; Theodore Ullmer Collection (Stack's, 5/1974), lot 411, $21,000; Central States Sale (RARCOA, 5/1977), lot 394, $9,500; Auction '82 (Superior, 8/1982), lot 1368, $12,000; Dr. Jerry Buss Collection (Superior, 1/1985), lot 1750, $18,000; Ed Trompeter Collection, Part I (Superior, 2/1992), lot 99, $22,000; King of Siam Proof Set (Superior, 1/1993), lot 1330, $24,200

The Heritage cataloger wrote on the coin die rarity: A single die pair was used to strike the proofs. The obverse die had been used to strike proofs the year before, and the die is in the same state seen on the later strikes from 1856. This was the only use of the reverse die. The date is positioned further to the right on the proof reverse than on the business-strike die, making it possible to distinguish between proofs and prooflike circulation strikes.

The Heritage cataloger offered this description: The present coin is a spectacular Choice proof, with razor-sharp definition on all design elements. The well-preserved yellow-gold surfaces include deeply mirrored fields that contrast profoundly with the frosty devices to produce a stunning Deep Cameo effect. Overall eye appeal is outstanding. This coin has been off the market for more than 50 years as part of the prestigious Harry Bass Core Collection and was exhibited at the Edward R. Rochette Money Museum at ANA headquarters in Colorado Springs until 2022. With only four examples in private hands, it is unlikely that another proof 1857 three-dollar gold piece will become available any time soon. The discerning collector should bid accordingly.

This coin represents a great start with the Hansen purchases in the Harry W. Bass, Jr., Harry Bass Core Collection, Part IV sale. Keep watching for another update.

Provenance: Abe Kosoff, sold privately on 8/3/1971; Harry W. Bass, Jr., Harry Bass Core Collection (HBCC# 4008), (Heritage 8/2023), lot 9015, realized $192,000, Purchased by David Lawrence Rare Coins (8/2023) for The D.L. Hansen Collection.

1857 Three Dollar Proof, PR64 Deep Cameo
    PCGS POP 2/1, CAC Approved
    Certification #46094723, PCGS #98020
    PCGS Price Guide Unknown / Realized $192,000
    Ex: Kosoff / Bass

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • Options
    steve76020steve76020 Posts: 367 ✭✭✭

welcome to collectors universe lotta haters here..

• Options
    willywilly Posts: 285 ✭✭✭✭✭

@currin any updates on new acquisitions for the Hansen Collection.

• Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

Every time I see this post, I think it's about a Hansen wrist watch! :)

Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hansen took down his "2nd" seated quarter set from the registry - good. It's not really cool to use the registry as an inventory list for your duplicates. That isn't the spirit of the registry sets.

• Options
    RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Manifest_Destiny Hansen removed numerous coins from his Late Date Large Cents with Major Varieties 2nd and 3rd sets....it was ridiculous that he used the Registry for inventory management. I am happy to say I have cracked the top 10....number 10 in that set. It has been a long term goal of mine and Hansen was clogging up the rankings. How long this will last only Hansen knows.

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RLSnapper said:
    @Manifest_Destiny Hansen removed numerous coins from his Late Date Large Cents with Major Varieties 2nd and 3rd sets....it was ridiculous that he used the Registry for inventory management. I am happy to say I have cracked the top 10....number 10 in that set. It has been a long term goal of mine and Hansen was clogging up the rankings. How long this will last only Hansen knows.

I moved up to #7 after Hansen2 disappeared.

• Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many coins coming to market soon.

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,718 ✭✭✭✭✭

@currin any updates on new acquisitions for the Hansen Collection.

Or, alternatively, any updates on which PCGS registry sets are now undone / finished due to crossovers to CAC. That would be very informative.

Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

Hi Mitch,
    Glad to hear from you. I have not posted anything from August. I do have a couple postings started to warp up the Bass purchases . They will make up great updates when I do post. I am not sure what is going on with Dell Loy’s Collection. He has liquidated or in process of liquidating about 2000-2500 coins by my calculation. A few are top set coins. Up to late 2023, he would not sell a coin and leave a hole. This does not appear to be the case currently. In some cases, it appear he may have a replacement specimen in another set. So, set management in the PCGS registry is a work in progress. It really makes the status of the sets hard to track by an outsider. There appear a change is strategy, but I am not aware of what that is. I will have to say that after tracking this Collection for many years, 2023 was a strange year. Now, 2024 appear to have a rocky start.

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • Options
    FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Currin said:
    Hi Mitch,
    Glad to hear from you. I have not posted anything from August. I do have a couple postings started to warp up the Bass purchases . They will make up great updates when I do post. I am not sure what is going on with Dell Loy’s Collection. He has liquidated or in process of liquidating about 2000-2500 coins by my calculation. A few are top set coins. Up to late 2023, he would not sell a coin and leave a hole. This does not appear to be the case currently. In some cases, it appear he may have a replacement specimen in another set. So, set management in the PCGS registry is a work in progress. It really makes the status of the sets hard to track by an outsider. There appear a change is strategy, but I am not aware of what that is. I will have to say that after tracking this Collection for many years, 2023 was a strange year. Now, 2024 appear to have a rocky start.

Only speculation on my part, but that’s a huge change in a short period of time, and the only other big change in the coin market is CACG. Since DLH often has multiple sets in the PCGS Registry could they be strategically crossing coins in a master plan to dominate both the PCGS Registry and upcoming CACG Registry?

• Options
    semikeycollectorsemikeycollector Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Currin said:
    Historic Harry W. Bass Jr. Core Collection Part 3 (15 of 20)

Liberty Head $5 Gold, Proof (1859-1907)

While not as rare as the pre-1859 issues, the $5 Liberty Proofs of 1859-1907 still make a tremendous collection that has rarely been completed. The classic issue of 1875 is the #1 rarity of the set, or, as some argue, maybe it isn't, and we need to look more closely at the 1860 or 1861 as the ultimate coins. Either way, this will make you as famous as a numismatist can be when you finish it, so let’s get started! - PCGS Set Registry

A PCGS author in reference to the 49-piece gold proof set wrote: “tremendous collection that has rarely been completed”. It appear from the PCGS Registry, no collector has attempted this set in the history of the registry. The registry indicates a completed set is in the Smithsonian National Collection. Were there others? According to the registry, the historic Eliasberg, Bass, and Garrett collections had partial sets. Surely, this set has been completed in private hands at some point since the series ended more than 115 years ago. Then maybe not. We may be watching Dell Loy Hansen in the middle of a history making attempt.

By adding the Bass coin, the Dell Loy Hansen 49-piece gold half eagle proof set is 83.67% complete. This implies the set is missing eight coins. Also, equally important, the set has a GPA weighted of 66.18. This smokes the historic sets, including the Smithsonian set. What does it takes to create a set of this exceptional grade? Let’s take a look at the score card that brings to the surface the overall standards for this tremendous collection.

6 Coins - PCGS POP 1/0, Sole Finest, highlighting the remarkable 1867, PR66CAM PCGS, Finest Known
    3 Coins - PCGS Certified Tied Finest, highlighting the incredible 1898, PR68DCAM PCGS, POP 3/0
    5 Coins - PCGS Certified One Finer, highlighting an extraordinary 1863, PR65DCAM PCGS, POP 2/1
    19 Coins - PCGS Condition Census Top 5, highlighting a remarkable 1864 PR65DCAM PCGS, POP 2/2

With this latest upgrade, the set currently contains 41 coins with above 33 PCGS Condition Census PCGS Top Five specimens. As a result, the set is currently 80.5% top five. The set still have seven coins that are not condition census which makes prime candidates for upgrading. The lowest graded coin in the set is the 1881, PR61CAM PCGS, POP 1/8. The Highest POP in the set is the 1901, PR63+ CAM PCGS, POP 1/31. The focus may be on acquiring the missing eight coins rather than upgrading the seven non - condition census specimens.

The Civil War Half Eagle Proofs makes for special set of gold coins. With this upgrade, the 5-piece half eagle gold set is complete. The five coins are masterpieces. They alone carries a PCGS price guide value of $935,000.

As stated earlier, there are still eight coins missing. Probably the most difficult coin remaining is the 1859 half eagle proof. David Akers wrote decades ago: Possibly as many as seven or eight proofs are known including two superb gems in the Royal London Mint Collection that have not been generally accounted for. According to Ron Guth in a more recent comment: Approximately a dozen Proof 1859 Half Eagles are known, suggesting that the reported mintage of 80 examples is far too high (it might be appropriate for silver coins, but certainly not for the gold). Most of the known survivors are Cameo or Deep Cameo; it may be that no non-Cameos exist. Three of the known examples are locked up in institutional collections, including those of the Smithsonian, the American Numismatic Society, and the Royal Mint (London) Collection. The record price for this issue was set in 2015 with the sale of the Eliasberg-Trompeter for $164,500.

CoinFacts gives the survival estimate at 8-10 with only four PCGS certified. First is a PR63CAM and two GEM, a PR65CAM and a PR65+CAM. The fourth coin an impaired PR58. There are four notable auctions in the past 40 years. Not listed here is the Ed Trompeter specimen that Heritage, sold privately in 2015 for $164,500. The coin is considered the finest, with PR65DCAM estimated grade. Will we see one of these coins in auction anytime soon? If so, I believe the Hansen Team would be in the game.

1859 Half Eagle Gold Auctions

1863 Half Eagle, PR65 Deep Cameo PCGS, Ex: Harry W. Bass, Jr.

Beautifully Preserved and Contrasted, Ex: Ely-Garrett, The Second Finest Example Known

Ron Guth wrote a few years ago for CoinFacts: This date has so much going for it. The mintage is super low (30 Proofs, with fewer than that known). It's a great date from deep in the Civil War. Plus, Proofs from thus year are usually well-made, often with great Cameos. It is highly likely that all Proof 1863 Half Eagles are Cameos. However, the existence of non-Cameo Proofs in the PCGS Population Report seems confusing. In the early days, PCGS did not recognize Cameos and Deep Cameos on gold coins and were the coins resubmitted today, the numbers in the population report would shift towards the Cameos and Deep Cameos. The finest example is a PCGS PR65+DCAM that currently resides in the Simpson Collection.

In the 2022 Heritage sale of “Important Selections from the Bob R. Simpson Collection, Part VIII”, the finest coin realized $252,000. The coin was at one time in a NGC holder graded PR66★ Deep Cameo. Did the coin actually sale for $252,000? I assume it did although the registry states: This coin is currently in the Set Registry inventory of Simpson and is featured in one or more sets, including Simpson. Anything is possible I supposed.

PCGS CoinFacts gives the survival estimate to be 18 in all grades with five coins grading GEM PR65 or better. PCGS shows nine grading events with one specimen having the Cameo designation and five Deep Cameo. As of today, PCGS finest graded coin is a PR65+DCAM from Bob R. Simpson Collection. Ron Guth (Numismatic Detective Agency) compiled a roster of significant examples. He showed the Hansen/Bass specimen as #2 CC.

1. PR65+ Deep Cameo CAC PCGS. FUN Signature (Heritage, 1/2010), lot 2193; Bob R. Simpson Collection, Part VIII (Heritage, 5/2022), lot 3607, $252,000. Bob R. Simpson Collection according to PCGS Registry

2. PR65 Deep Cameo PCGS. Heman Ely Collection (W. Elliot Woodward, sold privately, 10/1883); T. Harrison Garrett Collection; Robert Garrett Collection; John Work Garrett Collection; Johns Hopkins University Collection (Stack's, 3/1976), lot 406; Harry W. Bass, Jr. Foundation Collection (HBCC# 1024). D.L. Hansen Core Collection

3. PR65 Cameo NGC. Ed Trompeter Collection, sold privately to Heritage Auctions and Sil DiGenova in 8/1998; ANA Signature (Heritage, 8/2015), lot 4353, $99,875.

4. PR64 Deep Cameo PCGS. Farish (William Gustav "Bill") Baldenhofer Collection (Stack's, 11/1955), lot 1331; Dallas Signature (Heritage, 11/2005), lot 2421, $69,000.

5. PR64 Deep Cameo PCGS. Charles T. Steigerwalt, sold privately in 1895; John H. Clapp Collection, sold intact via Stack's in 1942; Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr. Collection (Bowers and Ruddy, 10/1982), lot 506, $13,200; Westchester Collection (Bowers and Merena, 2/1987), lot 2824; March Rarities Night (Stack's Bowers, 3/2021), lot 4152, $102,000.

6. PR64 Deep Cameo Uncertified (grade per Jeff Garrett). National Numismatic Collection at the Smithsonian Institution, acquired in the year of issue as part of a complete proof set.

7. PR64 PCGS. Walter H. Childs Collection (Bowers and Merena, 8/1999), lot 730, $43,700.

8. PR64 Uncertified. King Farouk (of Egypt) Collection (Sotheby's, 2/1954); Norweb Collection, Part I (Bowers and Merena, 10/1987), lot 872, $19,800.

9. Proof Uncertified. Byron Reed Collection; Durham Western Heritage Museum (Spink America, 10/1996), lot 139, $52,800.

The Heritage cataloger wrote on the coin mintage: The proof 1863 half eagle is much rarer than is sometimes realized. Of the mere 30 pieces struck, less than half survive. Recent estimates suggest that only 12 to 14 pieces are known in all grades. Ron Guth's roster of significant examples numbers only nine pieces. The finest of these is the Simpson specimen, which we offered in May 2022 as part of the seventh installment of Bob Simpson's incredible collection. The coin was graded PR65+ Deep Cameo CAC, and realized $252,000, an auction record for the issue.

The Heritage cataloger discussed the provenance: The Bass Core Collection coin has a much older pedigree, and is one of the most famous proof 1863 half eagles known. It is the exceptional Garrett specimen, formerly among the holdings of Heman Ely. T. Harrison Garrett acquired the piece in late 1883 in a private purchase through W. Elliot Woodward, and it remained in that family's curatorship for nearly a century. To our knowledge, this is only the second time in the history of its existence that the Ely-Garrett-Bass proof 1863 half eagle has appeared at public auction.

The new Hansen coin is described in the Heritage sale as: The coin is beautifully preserved and starkly contrasted, with exceptional sharpness and rich honey-gold color. A loupe fails to reveal any but the most minute hairlines, while contact marks or blemishes are essentially nonexistent. This is a high Condition Census example of the proof 1863 five and a remarkable representation of the quality, history, and significance of the coins that comprise the Bass Core Collection.

This update starts a series of posts on Harry Bass Proofs acquired by the Hansen Team at the 2023 CSNS US Coins Signature Auction. This is the Part Three of a projected four part sale of the Harry Bass Core Collection. This was the only half eagle that Dell Loy Hansen purchased in the sale. Although, stay tune for more gold proofs in future updates.

Provenance: Heman Ely Collection (W. Elliot Woodward, sold privately, 10/1883); T. Harrison Garrett Collection; Robert Garrett Collection; John Work Garrett Collection; Johns Hopkins University Collection (Stack's, 3/1976), lot 406; The Harry W. Bass, Jr. Core Collection, Part III US Coins Signature Auction / Harry W. Bass, Jr. Foundation Collection (HBCC# 1024), (Heritage 5/2023), lot 4570, realized $192,000, Purchased by David Lawrence Rare Coins (5/2023) for The D.L. Hansen Collection.

1863 Half Eagle, PR65 Deep Cameo PCGS
    PCGS POP 2/1
    Certification #46094658, PCGS #98453
    PCGS Price Guide $210,000 / Realized $192,000
    Ex: Harry W. Bass, Jr.

A true labor of love! Amazing post !!!!!

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,718 ✭✭✭✭✭

‘’Since DLH often has multiple sets in the PCGS Registry could they be strategically crossing coins in a master plan to dominate both the PCGS Registry and upcoming CACG Registry?’’

I highly doubt it, unless the CAC Registry was going to be intended to be nothing more than a “light version” of the PCGS Registry - which I also equally doubt. But, the real answer I’m sure is very simple - Mr. Hansen who has participated in 90 long pages of this thread, just needs to let us all know what is going on. Especially if he needs significant time to remove coins from the PCGS registry that are already removed from PCGS holders. I would do the same; it’s just fair play.

2023 was “strange” and 2024 has a “rocky” beginning. Why?

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

I did find a John Brush blog posted on the 15th on DLRC. It does add a little additional clarity on the collection:

Life on the road continued this week with a jaunt to Salt Lake City, Utah. I had the privilege of sorting multiple sets of coins and finalizing the primary sets in the D.L. Hansen Collection. We’ve sold quite a few triplicate issues in the past and many upgrades have been made over the past few years, so a regular visit was necessary to sort out the best of the best. This was a thrilling, yet daunting, project as some of the duplicates are incredibly stellar. It makes it hard to say, “This coin just isn’t as nice as the higher grade one...” In some cases, I saw the duplicate before I even knew that it wasn’t the coin in the primary set - That’s when an audible “wow” would eject from my mouth.
    Sometimes the enormity of what we’re working on with this collection is difficult to understand. I had the privilege of giving a brief explanation of the collection and the concept of collecting one of EVERY regular issue US coin from 1792-present to a small group of people. After my presentation, there were a few audible comments that really made me think. While the Smithsonian has a similar collection, the quality is nowhere near the quality of this collection. One of the little-known facts is that over 40% of the coins in the primary D.L. Hansen Collection are either the finest known or tied for the finest graded at PCGS!
    So, while the quantity of coins in the collection is daunting, when you dig deeper it is even more fascinating to comprehend numismatically. Suffice it to say, sorting through a complete set of $5 Gold Liberty Half Eagles and an almost complete set of duplicates is mind-blowing. Of course, there’s more work to do here in the future, but three full days of organizing the greatest collection of US coins ever assembled is an incredible honor (and a lot of fun!).
    John Brush

Great write up but does not offer where the Collection will be going from here. From by observation, they have paused the upgrading of the top sets and gold proof additions. I did find one gold dollar upgrade, but the last real upgrades to mention was from the Harry Bass sale. Is it over, or are we just seeing a calm before the storm.

Mitch, I have saved you question for a later response.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 23, 2024 11:03PM

Just ran across @DLHansen's 1955 dime in MS67+FB POP 4/0 while looking into another thread.

1955 Roosevelt Dime, MS67+FB PCGS
    PCGS POP 4/0
    Certification #28825191, PCGS #85109
    PCGS Price Guide $4,500

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2024 12:45AM

DLRC is selling all kinds of 2nd set Hansen coins right now.
    Pretty amazing!
    I managed to pick up a couple saints & am bidding on a third one now.
    It's been a 5 year wait for the one I really wanted but I finally got it. :):):):):)

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 26, 2024 3:29PM

@ReadyFireAim said:
    DLRC is selling all kinds of 2nd set Hansen coins right now.
    Pretty amazing!
    I managed to pick up a couple saints & am bidding on a third one now.
    It's been a 5 year wait for the one I really wanted but I finally got it. :):):):):)

Thanks for posting! It’s great to see what @DLHansen is selling as well.

It's very cool that he is showcased on their The Red Carpet Rarities Auction:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file