Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Hansen watch.

Comments

• Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭✭✭

That '53 is one of my favourite coins. Too bad about the underscore but a beauty nonetheless.

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin! Those European bank hoards would scare me if I was still collecting rare date half eagles.

• Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:
    Nice coin! Those European bank hoards would scare me if I was still collecting rare date half eagles.

So if you were still collecting rare date half eagles, any ideas on how you would go forward with the possibility of European bank hoards? Thanks

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gazes said:

@Boosibri said:

So if you were still collecting rare date half eagles, any ideas on how you would go forward with the possibility of European bank hoards? Thanks

Carefully.

We have no idea how many more unsold coins are in the Fairmont Collection nor do we know how many more future Fairmont hoards may still be sitting in bank vaults. The origins of the Fairmont Collection and how Stacks acquired it are a mystery to at least me.

• Options

@Gazes said:

@Boosibri said:

Well, thus far most of the rare dates have remained rare. The 1862 $5 had seven I think examples in a single Kuenker auction in 2018-19 which was the tip off to me that something big was up…and then Fairmont was announced. What was the available population before 60-70? That’s 10% (and nice coins!) of the population in one auction!

I think great pieces are still good value but I would avoid the conditional rarities and “jump grades”.

I posted in another thread that the population of 1858-S $5’s in 58 went from 2 to 7 in the last two years. Prices accordingly have dropped. A great EF piece still makes tons of sense to me to collect but a $20k 58 is now a $8-10k coin perhaps.

• Options

Now that’s an interesting addition!

• Options
    earlyAurumearlyAurum Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool addition indeed. Thanks to Currin for sharing the information and the honorable mention.

I have no idea where this coin came from. Perhaps @BestGerman can help us out here with his excellent detective work. Very unusual to see a new top pop coin appear especially one that is a full two grades higher for a rare date

I certainly hope to complete my set one day.

• Options

Coins like the 1832 are where it helps to have contacts. Amazing addition

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holy crap!

• Options
    BestGermanBestGerman Posts: 75 ✭✭✭

@earlyAurum said:
    Very cool addition indeed. Thanks to Currin for sharing the information and the honorable mention.

I have no idea where this coin came from. Perhaps @BestGerman can help us out here with his excellent detective work. Very unusual to see a new top pop coin appear especially one that is a full two grades higher for a rare date

I certainly hope to complete my set one day.

Thanks for the shout-out. Unfortunately, I'm drawing a blank on this one. You are right -- it's such a remarkable condition rarity that it most likely has shown up or was noticed before. Certainly, it's something to keep us researchers on our toes.

Ron Guth, Chief Investigator
    The Numismatic Detective Agency

• Options

@WinLoseWin said:
    Regarding the 1821 Large Cents, I had tracked the 7 hoard coins recently and have some additional info.

-Under number "7. Fitzgerald Specimen", the note "Possible link to Pre-Long Beach (Superior Galleries 5/2003 as PCGS MS63RB) Lot 663, realized $14,088 (Not Confirm)." actually applies to "8. Hansen Duplicate Specimen" as the 2003 coin was lot 62 in the 1981 auction. This can be seen in the catalog posted by the Newman Numismatic Portal:

https://archive.org/details/prelongbeachelit2003supe/page/128/mode/2up

However, it did make a different auction appearance not listed above. It was in Goldberg's June 2013 Long Beach Coin Auction but was withdrawn. When looking at the auction on their website there is no photo or lot description, only the words WITHDRAWN and UNSOLD by the lot number 405. I did find that the description would show up if doing a search for 1821 within the sale and did a screen capture of that shown below. It even has a photo on the cover of the catalog. So all seven have since appeared in an auction catalog after 1981 if not actually auctioned.

-Looks like a typo within "6. Hansen Registry Set Specimen". The grade at the "American Numismatic Rarities, 1/2006" was PCGS-63 RB rather than MS64RB.

-Not sure if the auction record price for RD is accurate. Under "4. Dr. Charles Link Registry Set Specimen, 1821 N-2, MS-63 RD PCGS, CAC Approved, Cert #02348115" it shows "Keusch, Snow, & Del Zorro Collections Sale, (Stack's 11/2008), lot 3074, realized $70,000 (Auction Record)". That is what CoinFacts shows also. The problem is that the paper prices realized for the catalog omit it which should mean it was unsold yet Stack's Bowers online archives show it bringing $80,500 (that would be a $70,000 hammer price which is what CoinFacts shows along with a mysterious grade of NG0). So it is unclear whether Stack's paper PR or the Stack's Bowers website is the correct one. Also not sure where the $70,000 came from as both the paper PR and website include the buyers fee; possibly a reserve hammer that was not met got reported somewhere? Maybe Stack's Bowers can verify if it sold or not.

-The 5. Arizona Registry Set Specimen sold for $18,150 at the listed ANA Sale (Heritage, 8/1996), lot 6526. It also shows $30,550 on Golderg's site for Pre-Long Beach Auction #98 U.S. Coins (Goldberg Auctioneers 6/2017) Lot 54 rather than the price you show. Got the opportunity to see this one long ago and it was quite nice.

-The 2. Fitzgerald / Ahumada Specimen, 1821 N-1, MS64RD PCGS, Cert #83244991 shows on Golderg's site as UNSOLD for the Pre-Long Beach Auction #98 U.S. Coins (Goldberg Auctioneers 6/2017) Lot 53 appearance rather than the $38,188 that CoinFacts shows. The Prices Realized for the auction also omit it. Also the (Bowers & Merena 8/9/1999) lot 22 auction appearance brought $10,925 as a raw MS-60. Here is a link to the page showing this lot:

https://archive.org/details/raritiessale1999bowe_f3p7/page/37/mode/1up

The NuTilt luster in motion views on this coin (the new 6. Hansen Registry Set Specimen) were what I chanced across just before they announced NuTilt. I thought this one came out especially well with the reverse showing how red it is and the toning spot by the F in OF looking far less distracting to me than still photos indicate.

Below is a link to the NuTilt showing the luster. It defaults to obverse, which also looks nicer than still pics. Click on reverse in lower left corner to bring it up:
    https://davidlawrence.com/tiltview.html?cert_id=36087812&referrer_id=dl

Here is some of the info from the 1981 catalog, which also included four 1804 Unc Half Cents in the hoard - one is now PCGS-64+ RD and brought $117,500 in 2017. That Half Cent lot states "This coin and the previous three lots were recently discovered during the razing of one of the historic buildings in Boston’s financial district...".

Wonder who had access to original Unc Half Cents minted 17 years earlier unless possibly all the coins were supplied by a bank with old stock on hand. Or possibly they came from two different parts of the same building constructed at different times. Don't recall seeing definitve answers about that.

The 1981 prices realized for the 1821 Large Cents:

Lot 58 $4,675 = the above "2. Fitzgerald / Ahumada Specimen, 1821 N-1, MS64RD PCGS, Cert #83244991"
    Lot 59 $6,050 = the above "7. Fitzgerald Specimen, 1821 N-1, MS63+RB PCGS, Cert #26634175"
    Lot 60 $4,950 = the above "6. Hansen Registry Set Specimen, 1821 N-2, MS64RB PCGS, Cert #36087812"
    Lot 61 $6,050 = the above "3. Fitzgerald / Byrd Specimen, 1821 N-2, MS64RD PCGS, Cert #37128539"
    Lot 62 $2,310 = the above "8. Hansen Duplicate Specimen, 1821 N-2, MS63RB PCGS, Cert #60110319"
    Lot 63 $3,960 = the above "1. High Desert Registry Set Specimen, 1821 N-2, MS64RD PCGS, Cert #13053257"
    Lot 64 $7,700 = the above "4. Dr. Charles Link Registry Set Specimen, 1821 N-2, MS-63 RD PCGS, CAC Approved, Cert #02348115"

https://archive.org/details/longbeachsaletwo1981newe/page/n25/mode/2up

https://archive.org/details/longbeachsaletwo1981newe/page/n34/mode/2up

https://archive.org/details/longbeachsaletwo1981newe/page/n3/mode/2up

Phenomenal research!

• Options
    CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2021 4:19PM

Major Varieties – Countdown 18

The famous "AMERICAI" variety that derives its name from a vertical reverse die break that connects to the eagle's sinister claw immediately following the final A in AMERICA. - Stacks Bowers Auctions

Today marks the midpoint of 2021. The first half of year has gone by fast and furious. We have seen Mr. Hansen’s collection expand in 2021, primarily in the Proof portion. With the fabulous purchase of Pete Miller’s Early America Cooper Proofs, we have seen the Collection expand and complete the copper proofs. In addition, we have seen some great upgrades to the US Mint State portion. Several outstanding sets have been purchased including, Bob Forsythe’s Liberty Head Nickels.

Other than yearly releases, we have not seen much “expansion” in the US Mint State issues. The countdown in the Eliasberg Quest remains at 13. The last addition was in March 2020 with the purchase of Brett Pogue’s 1854-S Half Eagle. I am not sure when we will see another. If you recall in 2020, we were tracking the Major Varieties pretty hard. As so, we witnessed a large focus placed on them. Many missing copper pieces were purchased in the two EMS sales, and several gold Half Eagles varieties in the McCory sale. The countdown started in April 2020 with 40 coins. The year ended with only 19 left. Then dead silence. The last addition was November 2020 with the purchase of Lord St. Oswald’s 1795 Flowing Hair Half Dollar “Overton 126a Small Head”, MS63, finest known specimen. The coin was purchase in the second Bob Simpson Mega sale offered by Heritage Auctions.

This new addition reduces the countdown to only 18 remaining. This is by no means compare to the half million 1795 Hair Half Dollar, but just the same, it reduces the number needed by one. If you are true collector, then you can understand the meaning.

1800 Draped Bust Dollar, B-11 BB-191, “Americai Wide Date, Low 8”, AU50

Coin Facts places the survival for this variety at 25 with only one or two in mint grade. The finest known is the Amon G. Carter, MS63 Specimen sold by Stack's 1/1984, lot 228, and realizing $9,900. This coin could also be the sole PCGS mint state, PCGS MS62+ specimen, but I cannot confirm. The list for uncirculated coins ends there. There are single AU53 and AU58 specimens, but neither of these coins have appeared in auction since the Carter Specimen in 1984. These top three or four coins are followed by three AU50 examples. The new Hansen coin is one of these three. All three of them have appeared in auction starting with the Cardinal/Cheek/Hesselgesser Specimen. The coin realized $11,500 in a 2012 Goldberg sale. Could this coin be one of the better PCGS AUs? A second AU50 specimen realized $5,875 in a 2014 Heritage sale. The third AU50 specimen is the new Hansen coin. The coin realized $9,000 in a March, 2021 Stacks Bower sale.

The auctioneer described the coin as: Outstanding quality and eye appeal for this scarce, conditionally challenging and extremely popular variety of the 1799 dollar. Lovely pearl-gray and olive patina blankets both sides, the surfaces revealing soft pinkish-lilac and powder blue undertones as the coin dips into a light. Sharply defined for a lightly circulated early dollar with uniformly denticulated borders and appreciable mint luster. Making its first appearance in the modern numismatic market, this significant About Uncirculated example qualifies for inclusion in Q. David Bowers' (2013) list of "Notable Specimens" for the BB-191 die marriage, which includes coins that range in grade from EF-45 to MS-62. Really an impressive piece, and sure to see spirited bidding among advanced early dollar enthusiasts. BB Die State II.

Theses varieties certainly do not appear in auction often, only 21 times in the last 15 years mostly ranging from NC0 to VF45. Mr. Hansen did not purchase the coin in the March Stacks Bowers auction rather a couple months later from David Lawrence Rare Coins. Will we see more Major Varieties come off of this list in the second half of 2021?

Provenance: U.S. Coins Part 3, (Stacks Bower 3/2021), lot 5207, realized $9,000; Private Transaction, (David Lawrence Rare Coins 4/2021), D.L. Hansen Collection.

1800 Draped Bust Dollar, B-11 BB-191, “Americai Wide Date, Low 8”, AU50 PCGS
    PCGS, POP 3/3, (Survival est. 25)
    Certification ##41433499, PCGS #40081
    PCGSVG: $9,000 / realized unknown

The Major Varieties Set is an expansion of the PCGS Basic Set. To complete, this set would require the 2821 basic coins plus an additional 439 Major Varieties Coins. With this addition, there are 18 remaining coins in this quest. The first two coins are not collectable, so the completion of this set would be 99.94%. PCGS describes this set as: Every classic U.S. coin in Circulation Strike from 1792 through 1964, every date, every Mintmark, every major variety, this set is the ultimate challenge. A collection of this size could take decades to assemble in high grade.

Top 10
    1797 Half Eagle "Large Eagle, 15 Stars" (1 Known – Permanently in Smithsonian) Uncollectable
    1797 Half Eagle "Large Eagle, 16 Stars" (1 Known – Permanently in Smithsonian) Uncollectable
    1861 Double Eagle "Paquet" (2 Known)
    1804 Eagle "Plain 4 Proof" (3 Known)
    1849-C Gold Dollar "Open Wreath" (4 Known w/ one defective)
    1958 Small Cent "Doubled Die Obverse” (3 Known)
    1795 Large Cent "Jefferson, Lettered Edge" (5 Known w/ VF Finest Known)
    1810 Half Eagle "Large Date, Small 5" (5 Known w/ AU Finest Known)
    1842 Half Dollar "Small Date, Rev of 1839" (Survival est. 10 w/ 1 Mint State)
    1804 Quarter Eagle "13 Star Reverse" (Survival est. 11 w/ AU Finest Known)

Last 8
    1797 Half Cent "Gripped Edge" (Survival est. 13 w/ VG Finest Known)
    1797 Half Eagle "Small Eagle, 15 Stars" (Survival est. 20 w/ 1 Mint State)
    1820 Half Eagle "Curl Base 2, Sm Letters" (Survival est. 14 w/ 8 Mint State)
    1798/7 Eagle "7X6 Stars" (Survival est. 25 w/ 3 Mint State)
    1839 Half Dollar "Receeded Edge, Small Letters” (Survival est. 50 w/ 4 Mint State)
    1798 Quarter Eagle "Wide Date" (Survival est. 50 w/ 8 Mint State)
    1798 Dollar "Large Eagle, Knob 9, 4 Lines" (Survival est. 125 w/ 2 Mint State)
    1887/6 Three Cent CN (Survival est. 800 w/ 750 Mint State)

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • Options

Three Cent Copper Nickel Proof Upgrade

A few days ago, I discussed Three Cent Copper Nickels Circulating Strike set. I described in detail the difficulty of the set for Mr. Hansen to be able advance to the top spot. For the proof set, the story is completely different. The Three Cent Nickels Basic, Proof (1865-1889) set requires 25 coins. PCGS describes the set as: Proof three cent nickels seem to enjoy a greater popularity than their mint state counterparts. This series is slightly longer than the business strike one, and, despite significantly lower mintages, there are far more high-quality proofs on the market than business strikes. The earliest dates of the series are the rarest, with the 1865 being significantly more expensive than the other issues.

There is an entertaining competition at the top for this set. Currently, the two top collections (Hansen & tompet38) have created a separation from the remainder in the pact. There are 15 current collectors participating in the registry. Six of them are 100% completed. The tompet38 Collection of Three Cent Copper Nickel Proof set was created 6/1/2015. If I may add, just in time to get the 2014 top set award. Prior to 2020, the tompet38 set had been in first place continuously since 2014. Since last year, there has been a little going back and forth. The tompet38 set had reestablished the lead, but this new upgrade placed the D.L. Hansen set back in first place to receive the annual best in the registry award.

On 6/20/2021, the Hansen set move back into first place with a purchase from The Numismatic Financial Corporation, Inc. I have not confirmed if the coin was purchase directly by Mr. Hansen from NFC, or purchased wholesale by David Lawrence Rare Coins. According to the internet, the coin was sold by NFC on or about Jun 17, 2021.

With this purchase, the 25-piece set has six PCGS POP 1/0 sole finest specimens, plus three others tied as finest. There are five coins with only one PCGS coin certified finer. Mr. Hansen replaced a beautiful PR67CAM, CAC Approved, Cert #25768704 specimen to get the points for the top spot. Sometimes tough choices have to be made.

Hansen's Duplicate: 1873 3CN CLOSED 3, CAM PR67CAM CERT #25368704, PCGS #83769
    1873 “Closed” Three Cent Copper Nickel PR67+

Expert Ron Guth describes the coin as: The 1873 Closed 3 Three-Cent Nickel is a relatively common coin in Proof condition. The reported mintage of 1,100+ is based on the number of complete Proof sets sold in that year, plus an unknown number of "Minor" Proof sets (three-piece sets that contained only the Cent, Three-Cent Nickel, and Nickel). Considering that PCGS had certified 537 examples as of November 2011, the true mintage figure should probably be much higher, say in the 1,500-2,000 coin range. The Closed 3 is the only Proof version of the 1873 Three-Cent Nickels. No "Open 3" Three-Cent Nickels are known to exist in Proof. On the Closed 3 version, the loops of the 3 were placed so close together that it is easy to mistake the 3 for an 8 at a casual glance. Treasury official noticed this early in 1873 and asked the Mint to correct the problem by "opening" the loops of the 3. This was done for virtually all coin types in 1873. Though the 1873 Closed 3 Three-Cent Nickel is easy to locate in Proof condition, it is decidedly scarcer (by about half) than many of the dates in the 1880's (which have low circulation-strike mintages, but relatively high Proof mintages. Cameo Proofs make up less than 20% of the existing population, at least according to the PCGS Population Report, but this percentage may be understated because PCGS has not always designated Proofs as Cameos or non-Cameos. On the other hand, Deep Cameos are either extremely rare or non-existent, as PCGS has certified none to date. Superb Proofs are very rare. PCGS has graded 10 non-Cameo Proofs in PR-66 (and none finer), only a single PR67 Cameo, and, as already mentioned, no Deep Cameo Proofs. The Population Report has change a little since Ron wrote this summary. I would rank the top coins in the order by grade this way.

1. Hansen / Gardner Specimen, MS67+ PCGS, Cert #39820261, Ex: Purchased from David Lawrence (12/2010); Long Beach Expo U.S. Coins Signature Auction (Heritage 9/2013 as PCGS PR67, Cert #27980284), lot 6262, realized $7,050; The Eugene H. Gardner Collection of US Coins Signature Auction (Heritage 6/2014), lot as PCGS PR67, Cert #2798028430136, realized $5,287.50; Douglas C. Kaselitz Collection (Stacks Bower 7/2015), lot 5064, realized $3,818.75; FUN U.S. Coins Signature Auction (Heritage 1/2016 as PCGS PR67, Cert #25666892), lot 4725, realized $4,230; U.S. Coins Signature Auction (Heritage 12/2018), lot 3192, realized $3,720; U.S. Coins Part 1 - Numismatic Americana and Early American Coins (Stacks Bowers 6/2020) lot 375, realized $3,360; Private Transaction (Numismatic Financial Corporation 6/2021 as PCGS PR67+, Cert #39820261), D.L. Hansen Collection

2. Scher / Poole Specimen, PR67CAM Cert #16545208, Ex. R. Iskowitz; The Bruce Scher #1 All-Time PCGS Registry Set (Heritage 2/2005 as PCGS PR67CAM, Cert #21765480), lot 4033, realized $9,775 (Auction Record); The David Poole Collection of Three Sent Nickels (Legend 5/2018), lot 400, realized $9,400; Current PCGS Registry Sets: This cert is currently in a user's private Set Registry Inventory.

3. Hansen Duplicate Specimen, PR67CAM, Cert #25368704, Ex: US Coins Signature Auction (Heritage 12/2013), lot 3197, realized $3,819; Private Transaction, (Pinnacle 2/2017), D.L. Hansen Collection

4. TOMPET38 Specimen, PR67CAM Cert #16545208, Current PCGS Registry Set: TOMPET38 Registry Set.

5. Pair of PCGS PR67 NON-CAM

As you can see the new Hansen POP 1/0 specimen has been around the block a few times. Earlier tracing shows the coin originating from a 2010 purchase from David Lawrence. After a decade in and out of collections including Eugene H. Gardner, the coin makes a new home in the D.L. Hansen Collection. The earliest auction that I can trace to is when Heritage offered the coin at the 2013 Long Beach Expo U.S. Coins Signature Auction. The coin was described as: Light pastel toning, in several colorful hues, provides this Superb Gem example with lovely eye appeal. The obverse features shades of pink, yellow, blue, and green. The reverse displays bright pastel yellow color at center, with splashes of pink, green, and orange near the rims. The few abrasions present are minor.

In the 2014 Eugene H. Gardner sale, the coin was described as: Light pastel toning in variegated hues provides this Superb Gem proof with lovely eye appeal. The obverse features shades of pink, yellow, blue, and green. The reverse displays bright pastel yellow color at the center, with splashes of pink, green, and orange near the rims. Finally in the 2020 Stacks sale, the description evolved into: Light pastel toning in variegated hues provides this Superb Gem proof with lovely eye appeal. The obverse features shades of pink, yellow, blue, and green. The reverse displays bright pastel yellow color at the center, with splashes of pink, green, and orange near the rims. The coin realized $3,360.

This coin was marketed by Numismatic Financial Corporation with a very brief description: Pop of just 1 with none finer! Gorgeous lavender, orange and lime green toning; spectacular eye appeal!. With the POP 1/0 grade, the coin ask was $9,400 with is a nice improvement to the $3,360 amount the coin realized the year before. PCGS valued the coin at $7,500. This collection now has the finest certified PR67+ specimen along with the tied for finest PR67CAM as a backup. The CAM carries for superior value at $10,500, but the PR67+ carries more weight in the PCGS registry. In the D.L. Hansen Collection, the simple way to decide is to buy both!

1873 “Closed” Three Cent Copper Nickel PR67+
    PCGS POP 1/0
    Certification #39820261, PCGS #3769
    PCGS Value Guide: $7,500 / Ask $9,400
    Provenance: Eugene H. Gardner

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • Options

Lincoln Cent Upgrades

Ultra-Popular Set - PCGS Registry

If you are one of the 434 active collectors of Lincoln Cents Basic Circulation Strikes (1909-1958) Set, then this update is for you. It has been about 12 month’s since my last update. D.L. Hansen has a very nice collection of Lincolns. PCGS describes the set as: This ultra-popular set is broken down into several different collections for the PCGS Set Registry. The first category covers the "Wheatback" era, with its magic key dates of the 1909-S V.D.B. and 1914-D, the always intriguing and sometimes controversial 1922 "Plain," and the newly recognized condition rarity 1926-S, among many others. From the childhood days of the blue coin boards (or albums) when rolls and rolls of Lincoln cents were searched looking for "anything that was old" until today, the early date Lincoln cents magnify the joys of coin collecting and bring back a rush of memories.

As you can see, the Hansen Collection has a strong set in the Lincolns with a fairly significant lead.

1952 Lincoln Cent, MS67+ RD

With a mintage of 186,775,000 coins, there should be plenty of 1952 Lincoln Cent examples to fill the need of the collectors. Just to expand that line of thought a little more, PCGS has graded over 2000 coins and NGC has graded more than 1600. Actually, Coin Facts estimate about 5000 coins have survived in RED. With the registry game, the need is for the best graded. This means the number gets pretty low. PCGS have graded only 36 MS67RD with four of them MS67+ RD. With the number are active registry sets, they are in high demand. I have created a roster of the four MS67+ RD examples and two noteworthy MS67 specimens.

1. D.L. Hansen Registry Set Specimen, MS67+ RD PCGS, CAC, Cert #39689460, Purchased in Private Transaction (7/2021), Currently in the Set Registry inventory of D.L. Hansen.

2. Stonebarger Specimen, MS67+ RD PCGS, Cert #38475458, The GL & SL Stonebarger Collection / US Coins Signature Auction (Heritage 6/2021), Lot #3360, realized $4,320; Current not found in the PCGS Set Registry inventory.

3. Southlake83 Registry Set Specimen, MS67+ RD PCGS, Cert #25222416, CAC, CSNS US Coins Signature Auction (Heritage 4/2015), lot 3389, realized $6,462.50 (Sole Finest at PCGS at time of sale); Currently in the Set Registry inventory of southlake83.

4. Dubuc’s Redlincolns Registry Set Specimen, MS67+ RD PCGS, Cert #39320799, CAC, Currently in the Set Registry inventory of cdubuc.

5. D.L. Duplicate Specimen, MS67RD PCGS, CAC, Cert #81333357, CAC Online Auction (Great Collections, 4/2018), Item #56117, realized $2,260.12; Currently in the Set Registry inventory of D.L. Hansen.

6. The Ehreth Registry Set Specimen, MS67RD PCGS, CAC, Cert #03543319, CAC Internet Auction # 199 (David Lawrence Auctions, 11/2007), lot 8138, realized $9,775 (Auction Record); The Davis Conway Collection / US Coin Signature Auction (Heritage 8/2008), lot 447, realized $6,325; Internet Auction # 398 (David Lawrence Auctions, 8/2009), DLRC Inventory #287687, realized $5,290; Currently in the Set Registry inventory of jcehreth.

The #2 specimen that sold in a 6/2021 Heritage sale is currently not actively used in a registry set, therefor could be available for purchase. I listed the Hansen MS67 CAC specimen as #5 and the auction record MS67RD specimen as #6. I wonder if this coin is still in an Old Green Holder. There are 32 MS67 PCGS total, so for this exercise I picked two. If you are Lincoln collector, then you may find this breakdown of interest.

1952 Lincoln Cent, MS67+ RD
    POP 4/0, CAC Approved
    Certification #39689460, PCGS #2797
    PCGS Coin Guide Value: $8,500 / Unknown

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have honestly never seen a condition census of a 1952 Lincoln cent before…

• Options

Obviously Hansen's stated goal involves exceeding the Eliasberg collection. However, I was reading the bio section of collectors in the book the 100 Greatest Coins and a couple quotes made me think of Hansen. "Rather than focus on major rarities, [this collector] acquired coins that were esoteric, rare and undervalued. Some of his favorite areas included scarce proof material....[this collector] was also extremely careful in how and when he acquired coins....he decided not to particpate extensively in the auction for the Worlds greatest collections he felt that he could acquire some of the coins for substantially less at a later time. He was correct...."

The collector....John Jay Pittman. I know there are differences (ie pittman was relatively of modest wealth, pittman did not collect everything, etc) but there are similarities. The biggest being that both did not feel obligated to chase any particular coin the first time it comes up and also the interest in lesser known rare coins (i.e a proof gold coin with a mintage of 10) rather than a focus on the major rarities. Just a thought...

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:
    I have honestly never seen a condition census of a 1952 Lincoln cent before…

You still haven't, but you knew that ;)

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gazes said:
    Obviously Hansen's stated goal involves exceeding the Eliasberg collection. However, I was reading the bio section of collectors in the book the 100 Greatest Coins and a couple quotes made me think of Hansen. "Rather than focus on major rarities, [this collector] acquired coins that were esoteric, rare and undervalued. Some of his favorite areas included scarce proof material....[this collector] was also extremely careful in how and when he acquired coins....he decided not to particpate extensively in the auction for the Worlds greatest collections he felt that he could acquire some of the coins for substantially less at a later time. He was correct...."

The collector....John Jay Pittman. I know there are differences (ie pittman was relatively of modest wealth, pittman did not collect everything, etc) but there are similarities. The biggest being that both did not feel obligated to chase any particular coin the first time it comes up and also the interest in lesser known rare coins (i.e a proof gold coin with a mintage of 10) rather than a focus on the major rarities. Just a thought...

On some level Hansen's greatest success will come from being himself and not a better version of someone else.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options

What...no new posts here in over a week?

Currin, are you okay?

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2021 7:33PM

Very nice additions to the Dahlonega collection @Currin @DLHansen @JBatDavidLawrence !

Nice coins and an interesting comparison to the Duke’s Creek Collection. Has there been any thought to acquiring coins from the Duke's Creek collection?

https://www.raregold.com/pages/page/view?id=63

Duke’s Creek Collection of Dahlonega Half Eagles

The Duke’s Creek Collection was carefully assembled over many years by the late Jack Hancock and Bob Harwell with the choicest pieces from three significant collections of Dahlonega gold. It comprises a complete set of Dahlonega Mint issues, and virtually every coin is the finest known or nearly so.

Mid-American Rare Coin Galleries,in association with Hancock & Harwell, first handled the Duke's Creek Collection in 2004. The entire collection was certified by Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC), and the one dollar through three dollar pieces were subsequently sold individually at auction. The half eagles remained intact,however, and were purchased by a serious collector.

This collector has now selected Mid-American Rare Coin Galleries to handle the sale of the 27 half eagles from the Duke's Creek Collection.

• Options
    edited August 23, 2021 3:45AM

Those Dahlonega $5’s are exceptional

• Options

Very nice group of Dahlonega half eagles. Unfortunately, they are NGC. Mr. Hansen is exclusive PCGS at this time.

• Options
    edited August 24, 2021 9:54PM

@Currin said:
    Very nice group of Dahlonega half eagles. Unfortunately, they are NGC. Mr. Hansen is exclusive PCGS at this time.

Can @JBatDavidLawrence assist?

I’d guess PCGS wouldn’t mind having some Duke’s Creek.

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 1896 is jaw dropping. An amazing coin.

• Options
    edited August 28, 2021 4:49PM

@Currin said:
    1896 Double Eagle, PR64+ DCAM
    PCGS POP 1; 2 finer (Proof-67+ Deep Cameo finest)
    Certification #42469586, PCGS #99112
    PCGS Price Guide Value $210,000 / Realized $180,000

I don't know what's more amazing! This coin or that there are 2 graded higher!

It looks gorgeous. Congrats @DLHansen !

• Options
    PerfectionPerfection Posts: 180 ✭✭✭

If it were me I would have purchased the other 66 in the same for 48k more.
    Not sure why DLH chose not to.

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m confused- is it a 64+ or a 66+?

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:

Cert lookup says 66+ DCAM

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:

It’s a 66+ according to the cert verification. The subsequent mention of “64+“ was apparently a typo.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Perfection said:
    If it were me I would have purchased the other 66 in the same for 48k more.
    Not sure why DLH chose not to.

Since the 66CAC example brought $45,000 more, how do you know it could have been bought for just $3000 over the winning bid? Even if it that was the case, perhaps it was thought that the 66+ represented better value.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2021 12:10PM

@Currin said:
    The Hansen Proof-65 (PCGS), CAC Specimen was acquired at less than half the cost of the coin one grade point higher.

Proof saint grading confounds me.
    I'd give it PR68

• Options
    PerfectionPerfection Posts: 180 ✭✭✭

You are indeed correct . The CAC example could have kept going if. DLH bid. We will never know.
    The coin DLH purchased is probably a CAC 65. We would need to research the prices difference
    of CAC 65 and 66's. More often than not a non CAC coin sells for more than a CAC that is a grade lower. 67 Saints are an example. CAC are 30k, non CAC are about 15K which I believe is absurd. 66+ are about 6k. I often think about cracking my 66+ and getting some 67's.

• Options

Another Proof Addition, Half Eagle

This fourth update in Hansen’s proof sets in as many postings. Keep in mind, they are not upgrades, all four have been expansion to the Gold Collection. This is a new 1911 in the half eagle Indian proof set. The six-figure coin is not the most expensive of the recent additions but is very significant by its own merits. Hansen made the purchase in Heritage’s August 2021 ANA WFOM US Coins Signature Sale. This coin is the final coin needed to complete the Indian Head $5 Gold Proof (1908-1915) Set.

The run is only eight coins from 1908 to 1915. All are collectable, and a very popular series among the gold proof collectors. Although, evidence from the PCGS Registry certainly contradicts the statement. Other than D.L. Hansen, there are no other interesting parties in the registry. That is not to say, there could be some collectors that may be assembling a set outside the registry.

The description by PCGS Registry: The $5 Indian series in proof is comprised of only eight coins, with mintages ranging from a low of 75 pieces for the 1915 to a high of 250 coins for the 1910. Obviously, all are rare. This series is similar to the $2 ½ Indians, being issued in matte and Roman finish proofs. In Proof 65 or better condition, the rarest coins are the 1914 and 1915, with only seven coins of each date certified in Proof 65 or better. The 1909 and 1910 are also especially difficult to locate in gem condition.

With Mr. Hansen’s completion, there are nine famous and historic collections represented. The previously leader was Sam Bloomfield. He had great proof sets in all four of classic gold series, Indian 2½, 5, and 10, and the St. Gaudens Double Eagles. The Sam and Rie Bloomfield Foundation Collection was offered to the public by Sothebys, NY in December 1996. For what is worth, according to the registry ranking, the D.L. Hassen slips pass the Bloomfield set by only .05 points. Rounding out the top three is a set from the Childs Family Collection.

All coins in the Hansen set are proof GEMs, with the lowest graded coin is the 1910 PR65+ PCGS. The finest coin the Indian Head $5 Gold Proof Collection is the 1914 PR68 PCGS. This quarter million-dollar coin was purchase in the early days of the D.L. Hansen Collection. It was purchased in late 2017 in a private transaction. The average GPA is 66.47. This is second completed PCGS all-time top proof gold set in the collection with the first belonging to the One Dollar Proof set. The collection has a complete PCGS Indian Head $2-1/2 Gold, Proof set that ranks number two in the registry.

1911 Indian Half Eagle, PR67

Our fiend and expert Ron Guth made these comments: The Matte Proof 1911 $5 is a very rare and desirable coin with a most unusual finish. According to Akers, the finish on the 1911 $5 is different than any other in the series. The difference resulted from the various experiments the Mint conducted in the early 20th century with finishes on Proof coins. The Mint produced the Matte Finish by sand-blasting the surfaces of the coins after they were struck. The texture of the finish varied depending on the size of the grit used to sand-blast the coin. Customers, who were used to the brilliant and cameo finishes of earlier years, either bought the Matte Proof coins begrudgingly or shied away from them completely. As a result, mintages were small and, even then, not all of the coins produced were sold. Fortunately, the collectors who had the foresight to purchase these unusual coins also took good care of them. Thus, the quality of the surviving population is excellent. The PCGS Condition Census consists entirely of PR66 and better examples, and it tops out at PR68. PCGS Coin Facts estimate survival at 80 with a mintage of 139. Assuming no duplicates, the POP Report indicates 37 have been certified by PCGS. The NGC POP Report shows 55. The new Hansen coin is a PCGS Condition Census Top Five at a POP of 5/2.

The Heritage Auctioneer described the coin as: The Indian design half eagles, along with quarter eagles, eagles, and double eagles from the 1908 to 1915 period were all struck in a matte or sandblast finish. The Mint in Philadelphia experimented with different types of finish for proof coins of the various denominations, including cents and nickels. Silver proofs of this same period retained the brilliant, deeply mirrored appearance. The so-called "Roman Gold" finish from 1909 and 1910 has a satiny and lustrous appearance. In 1911, the finish reverted to the previous sandblast surface seen on 1908 proof gold. The mintage for the 1911 proof half eagle was limited to 139 coins, with an estimated 80 to 100 survivors in all grades.

Heritage describes the coin as: This example is fully struck, as are nearly all matte proof gold issues. The surfaces have a grainy appearance with thousands of tiny bright gold facets when examined under magnification. Virtually as struck, the surfaces are void of any blemishes or imperfections other than a couple minute spots. This half eagle has a perfect pedigree marker in the form of a tiny dark spot hidden within the space to the right of the horizontal fasces, located just below the eagle's tail. This spot is clearly visible in the plate of our 1994 ANA Signature, the 2003 New York Signature, and the 2004 Pittsburgh Signature appearance. Do you see the pedigree marker?

This is a very nice specimen for the Hansen Collection. This coin does not have the CAC Approved sticker but is in an Old Green Holder. If you had a PR68 Gold Proof, would you rather have a Plus Grade, CAC sticker, or OGH?

Provenance: ANA Signature (Heritage 7/1994), lot 7496; November Signature (Heritage, 11/2003), lot 7639, realized $52,900; Pittsburgh Signature (Heritage, 8/2004), lot 7412, realized $63,250; ANA WFOM US Coins Signature Auction (Heritage 8/2021), realized $99,000; D.L. Hansen Collection.

1911 Indian Half Eagle, PR67
    PCGS POP 5/1, Old Green Holder
    Certification #02574692, PCGS #8542
    PCGS Price Guide Value $115,000 / Realized $99,000

Image by Heritage Auctions, HA.com

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold proofs are a very rare and collectable that is way beyond the reach of the average coin collector. Their value is respected as being significantly more than their respective business strikes.

More commonly collected series, like Indian Cents, the business strikes sell for much more than the proofs. The business strikes cannot come close to the quality of proof specimens, yet they sell for more. I have been told that this is just market preference.

So, why are gold proofs so valuable?

OINK

• Options
    RexfordRexford Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OldIndianNutKase said:
    Gold proofs are a very rare and collectable that is way beyond the reach of the average coin collector. Their value is respected as being significantly more than their respective business strikes.

More commonly collected series, like Indian Cents, the business strikes sell for much more than the proofs. The business strikes cannot come close to the quality of proof specimens, yet they sell for more. I have been told that this is just market preference.

So, why are gold proofs so valuable?

OINK

Because they are very rare and gold…? Indian Head cents are generally very available in proof and are often rarer as high-grade business strikes than as proofs. Gold proofs often have mintages in the double digits. Pretty straightforward stuff.

• Options

PR58 Proof Quarter Eagle

Proof coins are coins that were created specifically for collecting. They are uncirculated, but may not be perfect due to bag wear or improper mishandling. They are defined by their shiny, mirrored backgrounds. - nationwidecoins.com

This fifth and last update in Hansen’s proof sets in as many postings. This proof quarter eagle has a little wear (or defect) and may be surprising to find its way into the D.L. Hansen Collection of Proof Gold. Just looking at the past four additions from last couple weeks, we find the following:

1862 Three Dollar, PR64+ DCAM, PCGS POP 1/2, CAC, PCGS Price Guide Value $77,000
    1896 Double Eagle, PR66+ DCAM, PCGS POP ½, PCGS Price guide Value $210,000
    1913 Double Eagle, PR65, PCGS POP 5/5, CAC, PCGS Price Guide Value $170,000
    1911 Indian Half Eagle, PR67, PCGS POP 5/1, OGH, PCGS Price Guide Value $115,000

It does make you wonder how a PR58 POP 3/7 coin can slip into this amazing collection. We know Mr. Hansen is not shy when it comes to upgrading his collection. Also, his main representative has stated that if three conditions are met: 1- The coin is available, 2- If it improves the collection, and 3- If offered a fair price, then good odds a deal can be made. It appears the coin was made available in a private offer from Minshull Trading. Coinweek described the company bio as: Lee Minshull has been in the coin business for over 40 years. In 1992 he founded Lee Minshull R.C., Inc., which is now Minshull Trading. Over the last 22 years we have been a leader in the numismatic industry and have grown into a formidable market maker, garnering the respect of every major market player. In the second requirement, the Collection did not have a 1867 Proof Gold Quarter Eagle, so it does improves the collection from completion standpoint. The third requirement, fair price, we need to assume this took place for the coin to be in the collection. Maybe, more importantly, the collection is one more coin closer to having a complete run of proof gold proofs from 1859 to Present. With the last five additions, this is now how the overall set appear.

The run is quickly approaching 75% complete. The D.L. Hansen Collection has two sets that are All-Time PCGS #1, the One Dollar and Indian Head Half Eagle. The remaining 88 coins are collectable but are expensive and difficult to find at a fair price.

1867 Liberty Head Quarter Eagle, PR58

David Akers commented: Despite the higher mintage, proofs of this date are almost as rare as the proofs of 1863, 1865, or 1866. High mintage is 50!. PCGS Coin Facts estimate survival at 27. The PCGS POP Report indicates 16 have been certified by PCGS, with three as AU58. The NGC POP Report shows 11.

It does not appear this coin has appeared in auction in recent years. PCGS does not list a value on the coin. It has Certification #38474960, PCGS #7893, and the POP is POP 3/7. The coin does not have an image and very little additional information is currently known. It would be nice if a image of the PR58 specimen could be posted.

Provenance: Private Transaction (Minshull Trading 8/2021), D.L. Hansen Collection

• Options
    10000lakes10000lakes Posts: 811 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2, 2021 6:31PM
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do we suspect that the smudge on the eagle's shield caused this coin to be just a 58?? Perhaps this is on the coin, but could also be from the holder. Hard to believe this coin was ever in circulations considering that it is a proof specimen. Definitely should be submitted for a regrade.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file