Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Hansen watch.

Comments

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gazes said:

@DLR87 said:
    I must have mistyped since I wrote it on my phone. I should have known this group would catch any errors 😂 Hopefully my photos show up this time. Here’s photos from one of his childhood type sets.

Awesome! The dates are almost irrelevant. Just shows the passion your dad has had his whole life for coins. Thanks for sharing with us!

Awesome? Absolutely! "Dates almost irrelevant"? Did you notice that 84-S Morgan???

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Currin said:

oh my. obviously this thread is probably the best ever on this forum in terms of quantity and quality but this is one of those pieces that just gets my motor running! <3

even despite being one busy little lady with scratches, mint made adjustment marks and flan flaws.

adjusted gold HAS to be rare or i'm not looking at enough gold coinage in this time period not that there is much to look at anyway.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    earlyAurumearlyAurum Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s an interesting purchase. Super rare variety. Thanks for the update @Currin

• Options
    gschwernkgschwernk Posts: 338 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is one of the most difficult circulated short sets (12 coins) to complete.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin is fascinating! :o

• Options
    gnuschlergnuschler Posts: 32 ✭✭✭

Perhaps stating the obvious here, but 5 of the 13 coins listed can be filled via the upcoming Harry Bass sale ... including his ~PF63 1804 Eagle.

• Options
    cccoinscccoins Posts: 287 ✭✭✭✭

Great updates! Thank you!

• Options

In addition, he added a PR60 1889 Proof Eagle to the Collection...

In January Hansen added an 1861 PR66 Double Eagle for $1.8 million, and in April he added a common-date PR60 Eagle for $15,600! Interesting strategy...

• Options
    CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Fairmont Collection-Hendricks Set, Part 7

The last couple postings focused on D.L. Hansen’s 184-piece Liberty Head $10 Gold with Major Varieties, Circulation Strikes (1838-1907) set. I even dropped the Tyrant name in the discussion once or twice. The EAGLES OF THE TYRANT COLLECTION may be the best US Eagle collection ever assembled, according to several numismatic experts. The set was exhibited recently and at that time described as: This exhibit contains over 300 eagles and has every circulation strike from 1795 to 1933 with all the branch mint coins also represented. There are Proofs of nearly every issue including the ultra- rare 1804, 1838, 1839, and 1857 issues, as well as both 1907 No Motto Indian Head Proofs and the unique Matte finish 1909. There are dozens of finest known examples of both circulation strikes and Proofs.

Great Sets as Hansen and Tyrant of 200-300 coins are very difficult for the average collector like me to comprehend. In a recent interview, Mr. Hansen talked about how he viewed his collection in smaller bits, or you could say sets and subsets. In a quick check today, The Hansen Collection has over 1200 completed sets. After taking a few minutes and wrapping your head around that, he also has 600 incomplete sets, which is more than 1800 total sets. Just stating a fact for me, I don’t have 1800 PCGS coins in my collection much less anything close to this count of sets. So, just considering the 184-piece Liberty Head $10 Gold set, it quickly becomes a small subset of the entire collection.

If you are still following my logic, then I thought today I would break down just one of hundreds of subsets that are in this vast collection. In the chart that I shared on May 4th, you can see the Hansen Team upgraded three US Eagles from the Southern Mint in New Orleans. The PCGS Registry - New Orleans Gold $10 Basic Set, Circulation Strikes (1841-1906) requires 36 coins. That number sounds small right? In a quick review of Mr. Hansen’s 36-piece set, the PCGS value appear to be over $1,000,000. The set has no seven figure coins or medium to high valued six figure coins. The large majority of the 36 coins are valued from $12,000 to $150,000.

The PCGS ranking chart below tells the story for collectors that enjoy the PCGS registry. I usually don’t mention much about Hansen’s #2 sets, but in this case you can easily see that he has two complete sets. Historically, this 36-coin is frequently divided into two subsets. First, the No Motto type struck at New Orleans from 1841 through 1860. The No Motto set of coins is minted prior to the Civil War. As many know due to the war and the Union losing of City of New Orleans, the mint did not reopen until 1879. This conveniently allows for a second run of With Motto from 1879 to 1906. Today, I will focus on the No Motto subset consisting of 21 coins with both 1854-O types.

Doug Winter published an article on March 27, 2020 titled: Battle of the New Orleans Eagles. This article is a pronounced reminder there many prodigious sets that are not in the PCGS Registry. Winter’s introduction in the article states: After viewing the epic display of the Tyrant Collection of Eagles (1795-1933) at the recent February 2020 Long Beach show, I thought it would be a fun exercise to compare the two finest sets of New Orleans eagles ever assembled: the Tyrant Collection and the New England Collection. Before we get started, there are some important caveats which we need to discuss. The first is that the New England Collection is specialized (it focuses on New Orleans gold) so it is likely to be “better” than Tyrant. But the Tyrant Collection is far and away the finest set of Liberty Head eagles, and while it doesn’t specifically focus on New Orleans issues, it is specialized as well.

There are several take-a-ways from these briefs words. He states the Tyrant and New England sets are “two finest sets of New Orleans Eagles ever assembled”. Also, the Tyrant Collection has a much larger collection by assembling the finest set of Liberty Head Eagles. On the other hand, the New England set is strictly razor focused on No Motto New Orleans Eagles, which is 21 total. The age of the Tyrant Eagle Collection I found a little unexpected. Mr. Winter states: Of the two, the Tyrant Collection is slightly older as it has been assembled since around 2003/2004; the New England Collection was initiated around five years later. Interestingly, both sets are still being improved although it is becoming increasingly difficult for either set to “get better” as so many finest known or second finest known pieces are included.

If you like reading this kind of stuff, I would recommend to find this Doug Winter article online. It is a good read and has some beautiful images. I will not reveal the winner of the head to head battle, but I was not surprised with results. I made the table (below) that includes the Hansen’s coins with the Tyrant and New England. Mr. Hansen was able to upgrade three coins highlighted, but he need a few more upgrades to contest with these two supreme sets. Remember the writing by Winter: both sets are still being improved although it is becoming increasingly difficult for either set to “get better” as so many finest known or second finest known pieces are included.

1853-O Liberty Head Eagle, MS61, CAC Ex: The Fairmont Collection-Hendricks Set

There are times when I run across a coin that is very intriguing. The 1853-O Liberty Head Eagle is one of those coins. In dated writing of Expert David Akes, he states: The 1853-O is a rare date in all grades and extremely rare in strictly uncirculated condition. Most specimens are well worn with VF and EF being the grades one is most likely to find. The "proof" listing from "Auction '79" is for the same coin that appeared in Lester Merkin's 3/69 sale where it was called a gem uncirculated, prooflike presentation piece. As a date, the 1853-O is one of the more "common" O-Mint No Motto Eagles although it is more rare than the 1843-O, 1847-O, 1851-O and 1854-O. From the standpoint of overall rarity, it is comparable to the 1842-O, 1844-O and 1858-O.

If you review auction records, the new Hansen Coin would have set a new auction record of $51,600, if not for the New Orleans 1853 “Proof”. The proof specimen realized $316,250 in a 2010 Stacks Auction. The coin is pedigreed to the Harry Bass by Bowers & Merena on 10/1999. In that sale the coin was listed as PCGS MS61. As you are aware, the Tyrant Collection has a PCGS MS61 that is attributed to Mr. Bass. Is it the same coin? Does Tyrant have the $316K coin in his collection? At times like this, I turn to the expert! I asked Ron Guth, Chief Investigator at the Numismatic Detective Agency, and our friend. He said no, the $316,250 NGC SP61 coin is out there somewhere, it has not been crossed. It is just coincidental they both are from the Bass Collection. Well not that much of a coincidental, Ron Guth said: Bass had FIVE 1853-O Eagles. Four sold in October 1999 and one sold in 11/2000. He also provided the pedigree of the Tyrant specimen: Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr. Collection - Bowers & Ruddy 10/1982:692 (as PCGS AU58), $2,640.00 - Harry W. Bass, Jr. Collection, Part IV - Bowers & Merena 11/2000:651 (as PCGS AU58), $8,050.00 - Tyrant Collection (Coin 71, displayed at the 2/2020 Long Beach Expo) (as PCGS MS61 50176929).

I said this 1853-O coin was intriguing, but I must bring back focus in my writing or the post will be extremely long. A few days ago, I discussed the article Doug Winter published titled, My 12 Favorite Coins from the Stack's Bowers April 2022 "Fairmont Hendricks" Sale. The 1853-O Liberty Head Eagle, MS61, CAC is one of the twelve. He wrote: If I had to wager how many readers of this article would have predicted this coin as one of my Top Dozen faves in Fairmont, I’d guess exactly zero. The 1853-O is a sneaky date in a series full of sneaky dates. It is dirt common in grades through AU55, and scarce in properly graded AU58 although not as hard to locate as are many No Motto eagles from New Orleans in this grade. Uncirculated coins are another story altogether. In the earlier article, he used the New England AU58 Specimen as additional justification when he wrote: This is a common date in circulated grades but a major rarity in Uncirculated as evidenced by the fact that the best example in these two sets is “only” an MS61. He was speaking in reference to the Tyrant and New England sets. Mr. Winter closed the article by adding: The Fairmont coin (Lot 5249) was one of only two or three real BU 1853-O eagles I’ve ever seen and I loved the coin. It remains the only example of this issue approved by CAC in MS61 with exactly zero finer. The coin sold for $51,600 which was just a bit more than I wanted to pay, but which is still far less expensive than the $316,250 which a so-called Specimen brought back in 2010.

Let me close by sharing what Stack’s Bowers wrote for the Highest Graded CAC-Approved 1853-O Eagle: With a mintage of 51,000 coins, the 1853-O is the third most plentiful issue in the pre-Civil War era New Orleans Mint eagle series behind the 1847-O and 1851-O. However, the vast majority of survivors are concentrated at the VF and EF grade levels, often with surface problems. This issue is a major rarity in Mint State, with Doug Winter (2020) accounting for only four to five survivors at that level. This newcomer to the Condition Census from the Fairmont Collection is one of the finest 1853-O eagles we have ever offered, and the only certified Mint State coin to meet with CAC approval. It is sure to catch the eye of seasoned numismatists.

The Stack’s Bower auctioneer offered this description of the coin: A remarkable condition rarity worthy of inclusion in the finest numismatic cabinet. Vivid bright golden-olive surfaces are semi-prooflike on the obverse with appreciable reflectivity in the field; the reverse exhibits a more uniform frosty texture. Both sides are boldly to sharply struck throughout with an impressively smooth appearance for the issue as well as the assigned grade.

I will end the posting by sharing another twist. There is a PCGS MS62 coin that I have not mentioned to this point. In a Heritage August 2018 sale, there is no PGGS MS62 Specimen certified at the time. In the Stacks-Bowers 4/2022 of the Fairmont Collection, the PCGS MS62 (Cert #41789152) is reference as finest. As far as I can tell, this coin has not been offered in public sale. Could this be another high-grade Fairmont coin that will be placed in the market at some point? Or just an MS61 upgrade. I am not sure, but the discussion on the 1853-O Liberty Head Eagle may not be over.

Provenance: A numismatic time capsule; plucked from circulation over 100 years ago and frozen in time in overseas bank vaults per Doug Winter; The Spring 2022 Auction / Fairmont Collection, Hendricks Set, (Stacks-Bowers 4/2022), Lot 5249, Realized $51,600; D.L. Hansen Collection by private transaction via David Lawrence Rare Coin, April, 2022.

1853-O Liberty Head Eagle, MS-61
    PCGS POP 4/1. CAC Approved
    Certification #43952209, PCGS #8612
    PCGS Price Guide $51,600 / Realized $35,000 in Auction
    Ex: Fairmont Collection (Hendricks Set)

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2022 6:46PM

@Currin said:
    I will end the posting by sharing another twist. There is a PCGS MS62 coin that I have not mentioned to this point. In a Heritage August 2018 sale, there is no PGGS MS62 Specimen certified at the time. In the Stacks-Bowers 4/2022 of the Fairmont Collection, the PCGS MS62 (Cert #41789152) is reference as finest. As far as I can tell, this coin has not been offered in public sale. Could this be another high-grade Fairmont coin that will be placed in the market at some point? Or just an MS61 upgrade. I am not sure, but the discussion on the 1853-O Liberty Head Eagle may not be over.

In April, 2021, Heritage sold an PCGS AU58 and stated that PCGS had graded 26 in AU58/58+, with 4 finer.

In April, 2022, PCGS has graded 24 in AU58/58+ (-2), with 7 finer (+3), implying that two AU58/58+ coins have upgraded to MS in the last year. Thus, the Fairmont-Hendricks coin would represent the third coin added to the MS ranks ... right? Could an AU58+ have upgraded all the way to MS62?

• Options

@gnuschler said:

@Currin said:

In April, 2021, Heritage sold an PCGS AU58 and stated that PCGS had graded 26 in AU58/58+, with 4 finer.

In April, 2022, PCGS has graded 24 in AU58/58+ (-2), with 7 finer (+3), implying that two AU58/58+ coins have upgraded to MS in the last year. Thus, the Fairmont-Hendricks coin would represent the third coin added to the MS ranks ... right? Could an AU58+ have upgraded all the way to MS62?

Yes,
    I agree, it does seem logically from your work indicates two upgrades and only one new entry. There is an image of the PCGS MS62 (Cert #41789152) in CoinFacts. Maybe Ron or someone can let us know if it can be traced to one of the AU58s. It is interesting that the coin leaped the Tyrant coin, if indeed the AU58 jumped to MS62. Who knows, the Tyrant coin could be under graded at this point in time.

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

The collectors of these 1794-1807 coins are important, but a long write up should at least deserve a mention of the artist that engraved the Flowing Hair and Draped Bust design, Chief Engraver Robert Scot.

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gnuschler said:

@GoBust said:
    I might start a thread at some point and go through the coins if people are interested.

Interested B)

I second that!!

• Options

Amazing coins shown. 🤤

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the updates @Currin!

I love all the provenance information.

A great exercise would be to map the coins to the pedigrees and then to be able to see how many coins came from each collection, e.g. Eliasberg-Hansen, Gardner-Hansen, etc.

• Options
    edited July 10, 2022 6:10AM

Dr. Charles Link’s Early Half Dollars with Major Varieties (1794-1807), Part 4

The start of the 19th Century also marked a new beginning for the United States half dollar. After a three-year hiatus, this large silver coin returned in 1801 with a new design: the Draped Bust/Heraldic Eagle type - Numismatic Guaranty Corporation

This posting will be focus on the third type of Half Dollars produced in the early years of the US Mint.The United States Mint wasn’t yet ten years old at the time, but this was already the third different design to appear on the fifty-cent piece, the two earlier series having lasted just two years apiece. Clearly, federal officials were casting about for just the right combination of symbolism and artistry to showcase on the young nation’s coinage. When the series resumed after the turn of the century, the naturalistic bird had given way to a larger, more formal eagle with a shield superimposed upon its breast: the now-familiar heraldic eagle design. This new series, too, was destined to be short-lived, lasting just six years. But, during that time, the Mint’s total output greatly exceeded the levels of previous years and, for the first time, the half dollar came to enjoy widespread use.- NGC

Previously, we discussed the 1794 to 1795 coins that represents the Flowing Hair Half Dollar type and then we saw the second design, 1796 to 1797 that produced the Draped Bust Half Dollars with Small Eagle reverses. This posting will be pertaining to the Draped Bust, Heraldic Eagle (1801-1807). The basic set requires examples for years: 1801 – 1807, but no 1804 dates were produced so only six coins are required. Mr. Q. David Bowers (edited and updated by Mike Sherman) explains in his comments in CoinFacts: There are no rare dates within the 1801 to 1807 span, although the 1801 and 1802 are the toughest, and some varieties are elusive. Nearly all specimens encountered display weakness of striking in one area or another, with the quality of strike becoming worse and worse as the years advanced. Nearly all halves dated 1806 and 1807 show weakness. Specimens are typically found in grades from Very Good to Very Fine, although Extremely Fine pieces can be found with some frequency. AU pieces are scarce, and strictly Uncirculated coins are rare. Even an Uncirculated specimen of 1807, for example, is apt to be very weakly defined in such areas as the rims, the obverse and reverse stars, and parts of the eagle.

In the Link purchase, the D.L. Hansen Collection upgraded four of the six specimens. It is obvious the 1806 was not replaced, but I am not sure why the sixth and final coin, the 1807 half dollar was not. The Link set had a “Solitary Gem” 1807 Large Stars Half, Mint State-66 (PCGS) that last appeared in the Sep-2015, Stack's Bowers Auction of the D. Brent Pogue Collection, Part II. The coin has a current PCGS price guide value of $265,000. I think the PCGS price guide would be a little low for this coin, and not sure why this coin was not in the negotiations. The PCGS registry has an error, and the Hansen coin that show as DLH 1807 MS65 Specimen is incorrect. The coin listed in the set is an 1807 Capped Bust MS65+. The best 1807 Draped Bust coin that Mr. Hansen has is a PCGS MS63, with Overall POP 17/29. I will explore this deeper in a future post. Let’s start today with the first coin in this set, the 1801.

1801 Draped Bust Half Dollar, MS62, CAC. Ex: Gardner

The first year back in production did not produce any major varieties. Even looking at the Die Variety and Die State Set by Overton, there is only two entries for 1801. The coin had a mintage of 30,289 with the CoinFact’s survival estimate. Surprising, currently PCGS has only three specimens certified as mint state with one as MS60. This coin is likely from The Queller Family Collection or The Jimmy Hayes Collection. The next (second finest) coin is the Link/Hansen MS62 Specimen. The finest PCGS 1801 specimen is Pogue MS63 that sold in the May-2015, Stack's Bowers Auction of the D. Brent Pogue Collection, Part I. The coin realized $129,250. The finest specimen may not currently be in a PCGS holder. The Col. E.H.R. Green / Newman coin graded MS-64 is certified by NGC. Once a mint state, the Stickney-Eliasberg coin is currently graded PCGS AU-58, but was a NGC MS-62 back in the day. As you can see for a coin with over 30,000 produced, the mint state preservation is very low.

With this coin, Mr. Link did not elaborate in his writing. He only stated: O.101 R3. CAC. Ex: Gardner. Obtained by private treaty with Carter Numismatics on January 8, 2015. The coin was auctioned as a MS62 NGC few months before the private purchase by Mr. Link. I wonder if the coin was successfully crossed to a PCGS MS62 prior to Mr. Link purchase. Being he is a PCGS Registry Collector, that would make a lot of sense. The coin was headlined in the sale as: 1801 Draped Bust Half Dollar, O-101, MS62, First Year with Heraldic Eagle, Important Condition Rarity. Appearing is the Heritage’s Sale - The Eugene H. Gardner Collection II US Coins Signature Auction in New York #1214 on Oct 27, 2014, it realized $55,812.50. PCGS currently price the coin at $125,000. Heritage provided Population Data (7/14): NGC shows four 1801 half dollars in all Mint State grades without regard for variety: one MS64, one MS63, and two (including the present coin) MS62. The MS64 example is the O-102 Eric Newman specimen, leaving only one finer O-101 at NGC. PCGS has graded two Mint State 1801 half dollars without regard to die variety, the Jimmy Hayes MS63 coin and another MS60. You need to slow down to read this Heritage description. It can make you head hurt.

Heritage added a little more commentary: Half dollar coinage resumed in 1801 after a four-year hiatus since 1797. The reverse design had changed in the interim, from the old Small Eagle design to the Heraldic Eagle motif, making the 1801 an important first-year coin for type purposes. Only 30,289 half dollars were struck, and few were saved by contemporary collectors. As a result, the 1801 is a condition rarity in Mint State. This impressive MS62 example is high in the Condition Census for the variety. Only the MS63 PCGS Jimmy Hayes coin and another MS63 example at NGC are certified finer among O-101 examples. It may be years before a comparable specimen becomes available, so we expect spirited competition when this lot is called. They described the coins as: This remarkable MS62 1801 Draped Bust half is sharply detailed in most areas, save for a touch of flatness on some of the stars. The lightly marked surfaces retain much of their original mint luster under a blanket of iridescent gold, rose, and blue toning. A few clash marks are evident near the right (facing) wing. Eye appeal is quite strong.

Provenance: Douglas Noblet; Rarities Sale (Bowers and Merena, 1/1999), lot 6. The Eugene H. Gardner Collection II US Coins Signature Auction (Heritage 10/2014) Lot 98461, realized $55,812.50; Dr. Charles Link acquired in private treaty with Carter Numismatics on January 8, 2015; Dr. Charles Link’s Early Half Dollars sold 6/2022 in Private Transaction via David Lawrence Rare Coins; D.L. Hansen Collection

1801 Draped Bust Half Dollars, MS62
    PCGS POP 1/1, O-101, CAC Approved
    Certification #31398668, PCGS #6064
    PCGS Price Guide $125,000 / Private Transaction
    Ex: Gardner (Dr. Charles Link Registry Set)

Thanks to Ron Guth for helping to get the image of the Link/Hansen 1802 MS62 correct...thanks

• Options

Dr. Charles Link’s Early Half Dollars with Major Varieties (1794-1807), Part 6

The "Two Leaves" refers to the clump of leaves beneath the eagle's left and right wings. On some coins, there are two leaves in each clump; on others, three leaves are present. The Two Leaves variety is definitely the more common of these major varieties. - Ron Guth

In the last several posting, we have explored the 10 specimens that makes the Flowing Hair and Draped Bust Half Dollars Basic Set, Circulation Strikes (1794-1807). We will now expand that set by 12 coins creating the 22-piece registry set: Flowing Hair and Draped Bust Half Dollars with Major Varieties, Circulation Strikes (1794-1807). As we saw that Pogue and O’Neil are the leaders in All-Time and Current, respectively for basic sets, we will now see that Link and Hansen are leaders in All-Time and Current, when including Major Varieties. As I stated earlier, the purchase of the Dr. Charles Link Early Half Dollars has changed the complexion of The D.L. Hansen Collection of Half Dollars forever. This change is more dominate in the Major varieties sets than the basic.

With the Dr. Charles Link purchase, the acquisition replaced five of the six coins. The coin that was not purchased from the Link Collection was the 1795, 0-126A Small Head, MS63 Cert #40274316. Mr. Hansen acquired this coin from a Nov-2020 Heritage U.S. Coins Signature Auction. The coin was offered from “Important Selections from The Bob R. Simpson Collection, Part II “. It was possibly acquired by William Strickland directly from the Philadelphia Mint in 1795. More recently, it was in the Lord St. Oswald Collection and D. Brent Pogue Collection. The coin is the sole Mint State example. The Link Specimen is a very appealing VF35. The MS63 Small is really the only significant difference in the new Hansen Set and the previously Link Set. Mr. Link posted a comment on the 1795 Small Head coin a few days ago: Although one of my most prized sets, I was unable to đo significant further upgrades. Dell Loy had landed the very important mint state 1795 small head from the Simpson collection. So, adding that coin to my set boosted Dell Loy over my number one all time ranking (by a little LOL). There are a few other coins in this table that we have not talked much about. I wrote earlier on the 1795, A over E in STATES, MS64. I am saving my discussion of the 1794 for a later date. Now, for a couple of the recut dates

1795/1795 50C RECUT DATE O-111 3 LEAVES XF45 CERTIFICATION #31408657, PCGS #39245
    PCGS writes: A scarce but easily identified variety. This is the only reverse with 3 leaves under the eagles wings. Also there is a large die break through the left wing and the eagle's body. Usually the strike above the die break is almost flat while the detail below is very sharp. Over the years I have owned four examples of this variety, all VF or XF. Very seldom seen with perhaps 15 different examples coming to auction in the past 10 years. The Link/Hansen Specimen is a XF45. There is only PCGS certified coin finer, an AU50 example. Possibly the Finest Known is the NGC AU58 Green / Newman Specimen. Heritage described as: We believe the Newman coin may be the finest known 1795 Three Leaves half dollar. Although an uncertified MS63 example is listed in Overton, we can find no other reference to the coin and are unsure of its existence. Stephen Herrman records a cleaned AU from the Charlton Meyer collection as the finest recently offered for sale. That coin now resides in the Overton Collection. Herrman also lists one XF45 example and a few XF40 coins as having been offered over the last decade. The Eric P. Newman specimen is finer than any of those coins and represents an extraordinary opportunity for the specialist. PCGS values the XF45 coin at $22,500.

1795/1795 50C O-112 2 LEAVES RECUT DATE AU55 CERTIFICATION #31879340, PCGS #39246
    PCGS writes: This variety shares the same obverse as the 3 leaf. The date is clearly doubled with the first date low and second date high. There is only one reverse die. I owned the XF45 which is the finest graded by PCGS. This coin was formerly in the Queller collection. While not as sought after as the 3 leaf variety the O-112 is very difficult to locate. I always thought this variety was a sleeper. The Link/Hansen Specimen is an AU55. There is only one PCGS certified coin finer, the monster MS65 that is the brother to Hansen’s 1795 Small Head. This coin also possibly acquired by William Strickland directly from the Philadelphia Mint in 1795. More recently, it was in the Lord St. Oswald Collection. NGC has certified the coin and is valued at half million dollars if sold today. Also, NGC has a handful of coins graded AU55+ and AU58. In a recent Stack’s Sale of one of the NGC coins, the auctioneer wrote: Overton-112 is one of the two Recut Date varieties of the perennially popular 1795 Flowing Hair half dollar, the date sharply repunched low with the underdigits touching or extremely lose to the denticles. Unlike O-113, which is mated with a Three Leaves reverse die, O-112 exhibits only two leaves on the inside of the wreath below both of the eagle's wings. Apart from the incredible Gem from the Lord St. Oswald Collection, the finest examples of this die marriage are a handful of AUs. PCGS values the AU55 coin at $22,500.

The five coins in the chart above that indicated upgrade has a combine PCGS Price Guide Value of approx. $800,000. In today’s market, I believe this would be a low estimate. With the exception of the 1795 Small Head, the 1794 specimen is the workhorse. I will feature the coin at some point. Assembling the five Link Specimens with the 1795 Small Head, MS63 may be the finest subset of Flowing Hair Half Dollar with Major Varieties ever assembled since the days of D. Brent Pogue.

1795, Two Leaves, MS63+

After the 1794, this is the second coin required in the 22-piece registry set: Flowing Hair and Draped Bust Half Dollars with Major Varieties, Circulation Strikes (1794-1807). This coin turned out be a somewhat odd or usual purchase. The coin in the Link set is a 1795 PCGS MS64.It is the O-121, Y over STAR variety. The coin is an EX: Eliasberg / Pogue with a provenance tracing to the Harlan P. Smith Collection and the Clapp Collections. It is tied for finest known, and Mr. Link obtained the coin from Stacks Bowers Auction of the D. Brent Pogue Collection on May 19, 2015, Lot 1097. Instead of the Hansen team purchasing this coin, they purchased a Link duplicate 1795 Two Leaves Half, MS63+.

I highlighted the other PCGS POP 1/0 Specimen - 1795 “A over E in STATES”, Half Dollar, MS64 in the previous post. It’s possible that they did not want two MS64 basic coins. I am fairly confident that this MS63+ coin was a duplicate as part of the Link purchase, but there is not sufficient online data to confirm. If I have the provenance incorrect on this coin, please let me know so I can correct. It appeared in the updates included with the other 15 confirm Link coins. The coin lasted appeared in public was at Heritage April 2015 - CSNS US Coins Signature Auction in Chicago. The coin was headlined as: 1795 Two Leaves Half, MS63+, CAC, O-129, Famous S over D Reverse, Probably the Finest Known.

The Heritage Auctioneer wrote: In our opinion, this important half dollar variety deserves its own listing in the Guide Book, rather than a mere footnote at the bottom of the page. The variety is distinctive, and it is plentiful in lower grades so that any collector can own one with only a little patience. However, Mint State examples are extremely rare. This example is likely the finest example known from the dies. There are several takeaways from this comment. Could this variety someday be considered a Major, which would change the requirement of the set to 23 coins. The 1795 Draped Bust has dozens of minor varieties. In one PCGS description, they make mention of an additional variety by writing: set of 23 coins I wonder what additional coin they were referring to. The mintage for the 1795 is 299,680. I sure there is more clarity to this coin than I am currently able to provide.

The mint grade coins for 1795 Two Leaves Half, MS63+, CAC, O-129, Famous S over D Reverse specimens is limited: According to Stephen J. Herrman's Autumn 2014 revision of Auction & Mail Bid Prices Realized for Bust Half Dollars, only three examples have been previously offered in grades above XF:

MS61 NGC. Heritage (8/2004), lot 6157.
    AU58 NGC. American Numismatic Rarities (8/2004), lot 417.
    AU55 NGC. Bowers and Merena (6/2008), lot 818; Heritage (3/2009), lot 1903.

I am sure there is not a single or simple reason for the Hansen team choosing this MS63+ coin instead of the finer MS64. Could it be they liked the appearance of this coin better? Or the rarity of the variety? Heritage describes the coin as: This Select Mint State example is extraordinary for its satiny silver luster residing beneath pewter-gray toning with accents of light gold and cobalt-blue. Trivial surface marks are only evident with a glass, and the central design motifs are boldly rendered. Prominent adjustment marks along the border are most obvious along the left side of the reverse, especially at ITED ST. Those adjustment marks cause noticeable weakness of the stars at the upper left obverse, dramatically weakening stars 4 through 7 and the outer border next to those stars. The adjustment marks and associated weakness are strictly a result of the minting process and have no effect on the grade of this extremely important and likely finest known half dollar.

Whatever their reasons for this coin to be included in the set. It does make for a suitable replacement over the previous. Depending on the view and use of the coin, it is a PCGS POP 1/0 for S over D Reverse specimens, but not a particular great coin for the major variety example, PCGS POP 3/7. Certainly, the coin is a great upgrade for the pre-existing 1795 O-119 MS62, Ex: Green/Newman coin purchased in 2017 from Legend Rare Coin.

Provenance: CSNS US Coins Signature Auction, (Heritage 4/2015), Lot 5065, realized $141,000; Dr. Charles Link’s Early Half Dollars sold 6/2022 in Private Transaction via David Lawrence Rare Coins; D.L. Hansen Collection.

1795, Two Leaves, MS63+, CAC
    PCGS POP 3/7, possible 1/0 for S over D Reverse
    Certification #25348636, PCGS #6052
    PCGS Price Guide $160,000 / Private Transaction
    Ex: Link PCGS Registry Set

• Options

Dr. Charles Link’s Early Half Dollars with Major Varieties (1794-1807), Part 7

The Draped Bust Small Eagle design type consists of two dates, 1796 and 1797, each of which has two varieties. The 1796 issue with 15 obverse stars is Overton 101, and that with 16 stars is classified as Overton 102. The 16 stars coin was apparently intended to commemorate Tennessee's June 1, 1796 admission to the Union as the 16th state. The two 1797 issues (Overton 101 and 102) are differentiated by the alignment of the reverse wreath in relation to the peripheral lettering. - Heritage Auction (2/2008)

A few days ago, we discussed the 1794/1795 pair that represents the Flowing Hair Half Dollar type that with Major Varieties expanded to six coins. This posting we will be exploring the Small Eagle reverses Major Variety Set. The Major Variety expansion is only one additional coin. The Basic set required only one 1796. In the major Variety set, the 1796 Small Eagle reverses required both the 15 star and 16-star variety.

In a Heritage Feb-2008 sale, the auctioneer did a great job of describing the known 15 stars major specimens. We can, however, mention some of the other Mint State 1796 15 stars half dollar appearances. One of the most notable was a PCGS Specimen 65 coin in the March 2004 Bowers and Merena sale. This piece is pedigreed to the so-called "Knoxville Collection." One of the outstanding features of this particular coin was that it lacks the obverse die crack present on virtually all other known specimens.

An MS63 Prooflike specimen appeared in the Bowers and Merena April 1997 Louis E. Eliasberg Sale (lot 1673). This example is pedigreed to the John H. Clapp estate (1942) and to Benjamin H. Collins (1896).

A 1796 15 stars half dollar described as "Brilliant Uncirculated" appeared in Stack's October 2002 sale (lot 22). This coin originally reposed in the collections of Reed Hawn and Lorin Parmelee. Another "Brilliant Uncirculated" example made an appearance in Stack's October 2000 sale (lot 876). This coin is pedigreed to the collections of Henry Norweb, T. James Clarke, Waldo Newcomer, and Col. E.H.R. Green.

Stack's also sold an MS64 example in its May 1999 John Whitney Walter Collection (lot 1776), and a Specimen 66 out of the same collection (lot 1777). The latter coin can be traced to Max Mehl's March 1948 sale of the C.A. Allenberger Collection (lot 385), and to Thomas Elder's sale of the Peter Mougey Collection (lot 424).

The Dr. E. Yale Clarke "Brilliant Uncirculated, Prooflike" 1796 15 stars half dollar appeared in Stack's October 1975 sale (lot 182) and made previous appearances in that firm's April 1969 R.L. Miles and November 1954 Anderson Dupont sales (lots 1205 and 2031, respectively). The James A. Stack coin, described as a "Proof," sold in the March 1975 Stack's sale (lot 313), and is pedigreed to the H.R. Lee (1947) and Beistle collections.

The William P. Donlon Collection, sold by Abe Kosoff in November 1956, featured a 1796 15 stars half dollar described as "Uncirculated with Prooflike Luster" (lot 705). Donlon had acquired this coin out of Numismatic Gallery's June 1950 Adolphe Menjou Sale (lot 942). This firm also offered what it called the "Finest Known Brilliant Proof" out of the John M. Morris Collection (lot 868).

This would be a good time to mention that PCGS has certified only one coin from this series as Specimen. This Overton-101, 15 Stars coin creates an extraordinary example. It has provenance to John Whitney Walter Collection Specimen 66 (lot 1777). The coin last sold in Stacks Bowers, The D. Brent Pogue Collection, Part I Auction. The Specimen-63 (PCGS) example realized $587,500. The current location of this coin is not publicly known. Will there be another coin certified specimen by PCGS? Only time will tell.

As mentioned, the Eliasberg/Link/Hansen has often in history been described as Prooflke. Stacks Bower termed the coin as: Described as Prooflike in our sale of the Eliasberg Collection, both sides of this piece do reveal modest reflectivity in the fields as the surfaces rotate under a light. Otherwise, satiny in texture, handsome toning in silver-lilac and olive-russet speaks volumes about this coin's originality. The strike is as close to full as one could realistically expect to see in a Small Eagle Draped Bust half dollar, and there is not so much as a single outwardly distracting abrasion on either side. For provenance confirmation the obverse has faint adjustment marks in Liberty's hair moving from upper left down to lower right, crossing her temple, and the reverse has a small nick below the right (facing) wing, as noted in the recent reference work by Jon P. Amato, Ph.D. titled The Draped Bust Half Dollars of 1796 - 1797 with this specific coin noted on page 47. Two Specimens are noted from these dies, one is the Knoxville specimen, the other is from the Mougey-Granberg-Allenburger-Judd-Walter specimen.

As stated in CoinFacts which reinforces Mr. Link’s statement: A numismatist is apt to find that this particular coin will be the stumbling block or the greatest challenge to finishing an exhibit of United States silver coin design types. Probably about 200 to 300 pieces exist in all grades. The Hansen Collection contains multiple examples. In studying the Hansen sets, I was able to uncover as many as nine 1796 and 1797 small eagle specimens. There are four 1797, so three complete 3-piece sets cannot be formed. This table represents the nine publicly known coins in the Hansen Collection. I called the third set the commerce set.

It will be interesting to see if DLH keeps all his Draped Bust small eagles. Will he add the missing AU? If he decides to sell, the 1797 F15 would make a great collector type coin if offered for sale. The value for the circulated coin is still in the $50K range. Today, I will feature the last of the Draped Bust small eagles.

1796 Draped Bust Half Dollars, 15 Stars, MS63, Ex: Eliasberg

The first coin posted from this sale was 1796 16 STARS, Half Dollar, MS64, CAC, Ex: Hawn / Gardner. This is the second 1796. Today, we will take a look that the other 1796 variety. The ex: Eliaberg coin last appeared in Stacks Bowers February 2014 Americana Sale. The rarity of the coin was described as: The original mintage of this issue is believed to be around 400-600 pieces, with a similar number struck of the sixteen-star obverse variety for the recorded total of 934 pieces. Therefore, this issue is one of the rarest regular issue silver coins of the entire mints silver production. Survival rates are low from this early period, and all the known examples have been tracked through auction appearances by Dr. Amato and are carefully researched and presented in his published work. It would be difficult to imagine a much finer example than the present coin and considering the expanding pursuit of these types of rarities and the classic American coins, we suspect the attention to continue to be focused on these well-known rarities for years to come. Here is an opportunity to put away one of the great blue-chip coins of American numismatics, and a coin that will instantly be recognized by any knowledgeable collector when presented.

These three Link/Hansen specimens consisting of the pair of 1796 and 1797 are a trio of great coins with a combine PCGS value of $1,650,000. They represent close to half the value of the Link/Hansen purchase. This is another of the Ex: Eliasberg specimens that is now the Hansen Collection which found its way into the collection by the way of the fabulous Link Collection..

Provenance: Ex: Benjamin H. Collins, January 1896; J.M. Clapp; John H. Clapp; Clapp estate, 1942; Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr.; Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr. Collection (Bowers & Merena 4/1997): Lot 1673, realized $110,000; Signature & Platinum Night Auction (Heritage 8/2006): Lot 5222, realized $310,500; Treasures (Stack's 7/2009): Lot 523, realized $270,000; Dr. Charles Link’s Early Half Dollars sold 6/2022 in Private Transaction via David Lawrence Rare Coins; D.L. Hansen Collection

1796 Draped Bust Half Dollar. Small Eagle. O-101, 15 Stars. MS-63. OGH
    PCGS POP 1/1, 1796 15 Stars Half Dollar, OGH
    Certification #04716717, PCGS #6057
    PCGS Price Guide $425,000 / Private Transaction
    Ex: Eliasberg (Dr. Charles Link Registry Set)

• Options

Dr. Charles Link’s Early Half Dollars with Major Varieties (1794-1807), Part 9

Coins are history – The coin itself becomes a point in history. It’s been in the collection and been important to us – Dell Loy Hansen (A Behind-the-Scenes Look at the Hansen Collection - from the NNP, 28:59 / 32:26)

We have spent the past several days dissecting the Early Half Dollars with Major Varieties (1794-1807). With only 22 coins, the set is small but absolutely intriguing. As we conclude this series, our focus today will be on the coins that Mr. Hansen retained in his set. When all is said and done, he kept only 6 of the 22 coins (27%). This had to have been a bitter / sweet experience. In a recent interview, Mr. Hansen described his pain of removing coins from his collection. Of the 16 coins he replaced, some are great PCGS Condition Census. As example of today’s feature coin, you will see the Hansen’s 1805/4, Ex: Eugene H. Gardner MS62, POP 1/3 with PCGS value around $92,500 being replaced. The Link replacement was the 1805/4 O-101, MS64, Ex: Green / Newman / Link.

As stated, from the Dr. Charles Link Collection, Mr. Hansen purchased 16 coins that improved his set and pushed him over the top in all-time ranking. After investing possibly $3.5-4.0 Million in a 22-piece set, I could certainly agree that should have been the goal. In comparing the two sets prior to the unification, there were 18 Link coins that were finer than Hansen specimens. The Hansen Collection had two finer and two coins were tied with the same grade. The Hansen Team purchased 15 of the 18 upgradable Link coins, leaving three on the table: 1795 2-Leaves MS64, 1795 Small Head VF35, and 1807 Draped Bust MS65+.

The Hansen team did not purchase the 1795 2-Leaves MS64 specimen that is in the former #1 Registry Set. Instead, the Hansen Team purchased a lower graded coin which was what I believe to be a Link duplicate 1795 Two Leaves Half, MS63+. This coin was featured in Part 6 of this series. Now, let’s take a dive into the six Hansen lucky survivors.

1795 O-126a (Small Head), MS63, Cert #40274316, PCGS #39248, POP 1/0, Ex: Lord St. Oswald / Pogue / Simpson

This is definitely a WOW coin from the pedigree, the condition, to the price it realized. In one of Doug Winter’s articles describing gold coins, he said “some coins have what I regard has a strong “Wow Factor.”” Certain issues in the various United States gold types struck between 1795 and 1933 have what might best be called a “Wow Factor.” Something about the issue—be it rarity, design, historic association or low mintage—appeals to a variety of collectors. These coins have strong multiple levels of demand, and a “wow” coin might be included in a collection which focuses on trophy coins. This is the one of the kings for the early half dollar guys along with the 1817/4 which is said to be the most famous and valuable of all the Capped Bust Half Dollars. This is an excerpt from a post that I wrote November 20, 2020. If you want to read more about this coin, the post can be found on page 74. This is the only known mint state example. The Link coin is graded VF35, Ex: House of Davis McKinney.

1803 O-101 (Large 3, 12 Arrows), MS63 CAC, Cert #21085076, PCGS #39270, POP 2/1, Ex: Hain / Pogue / Sharfman

This is a rare coin with a fabulous pedigree. The 1803, Overton-101, Half Dollar realized $85,187.50, the tenth highest in the sale of 120 half dollars from The Howard Sharfman’s Incredible Chicago Collection of Half Dollars. Described by Legends Auction as: A classic antique toned CHOICE Mint State example. Both sides possess a rich, pearly-silver and pewter-gray patina that is wonderfully blended with shades of gold, orange, and pastel blue. Many of the hues are subtle, but when you rotate the satiny lustrous surfaces the mélange of color really pops in a light. The strike is bold with crisp details on both sides (only a few minor spots of very minor softness). A strong glass reveals a few very scattered ticks and minor traces of contact that account for the assigned grade. This is an unbelievably attractive specimen of this important early date/type. This is an excerpt from a post that I wrote September 14, 2021. If you want to read more about this coin, the post can be found on page 85. The Link Specimen was also a MS63 CAC. The link coin would not have improved the Hansen Set. The finest example certified by PCGS is a single MS-64.

1806 Pointed 6, Stem, MS66+ CAC, Certification #13022679, PCGS #6071, PCGS POP 2/1, Ex: David Lawrence

This coin is the finest technical graded specimen in the Hansen set and serves has the 1806 Basic coin representative. It appears the coin was acquired from David Lawrence Rare Coins in late 2021, but not much more information is known. The 1806 has six major varieties for the year. Let’s not confused the date any more than we have to, but there once was a seventh variety, PCSG #6074 - 1806 Knob 6, Large Stars. I am not going to attempt to explain that one. Anyone up to the task, be my guest. For the 1806 date, this coin is the most common variety. Expert Comments from Ron Guth: The 1806 Pointed 6, Stems Half Dollar is one of the more common major types of the year. Nineteen different Overton varieties, plus their die states, comprise the entire mintage of this major variety. As such, collectors have many opportunities to acquire an example in a wide range of grades, including Mint State (PCGS has certified more Mint State examples of this type than any other -- by far). The PCGS CoinFacts Condition Census starts at MS64+ and goes up from there. The record price for this date was achieved by the Garrett coin when it reappeared at auction in 2015 and sold (as a PCGS MS66) for $182,125. However, there is an even better example "out there" -- a PCGS MS67 that has yet to come to market. That coin is the single finest Draped Bust Half Dollar in existence. I was not able to confirm the existence of the PCGS MS67. The specimen in the O-Neal set is an 1806 Pointed 6, Stem, MS66. The Pogue coin was 1806 Pointed 6, No Stem, MS65. It was an easy decision to pass on the Pogue/Link MS65 in the Link collection and keep this pre-unification MS66+ CAC.

1806 O-108 Knob 6, No Stem, VF35 Certification #06548389, PCGS #6072, Ex: Greer / Downey / Schertz / EH Morgan

Mr. Hansen obtained this coin from Stacks Bowers Nov-2019 Sale of The E. Horatio Morgan Collection of U.S. Half Dollars. The cataloger stated: The seven confirmed examples of the 1806 O-108 variety are as follows, expanded from the listing in Steve M. Tompkins' 2015 reference Early United States Half Dollars, Volume I: 1794-1807:

1 - PCGS EF-40. Ex private collector, bought in El Paso Texas, 1979; sold privately in 2002; our (Bowers and Merena's) Baltimore ANA Auction of July-August 2003, lot 1395; our (Stack's) Orlando Sale of January 2009, lot 416; D. Brent Pogue; our (in conjunction with Sotheby's) sale of the D. Brent Pogue Collection, Part I, May 2015, lot 1112; Dr. Charles Link Collection. The plate coin for the variety in the Tompkins early half dollar reference.

2 - PCGS VF-35. Ex Brian Greer, January 1995; Sheridan Downey, 1995; Dr. Gerald Schertz; Sheridan Downey's Mail Bid Sale #22, October 1998, lot 267; Sheridan Downey's Fixed Price List of July 1999; E. Horatio Morgan Collection.

3 - PCGS VF Details--Cleaned. Ex Charles R. Ross; 4 - PCGS Fine-15. Ex Philip Straus; 5 - PCGS Fine-12. Ex Pennsylvania collection; 6 - VG-10. Ex Harry Bernstein; 7 - PCGS VG-8. Ex discovered in Hawaii, 1976.

Mr. Hansen purchase the PCGS VF-35, Ex Brian Greer / E. Horatio Morgan for $84,000. Currently, PCGS values the coin at $150,000. The Link PCGS EF-40 is valued at $175,000. The Hansen Team elected to leave the VF-35 specimen as is, as result, the PCGS VF-35. Ex Brian Greer / E. Horatio Morgan Specimen becomes a true survivor.

1806/5 O-101 Large Stars, MS63 CAC, Certification #60051705, PCGS #39296, POP 2/2, Ex: Garrett / Pogue / Legend

In the 2021 Sale of The Howard Sharfman’s Incredible Chicago Collection of Half Dollars hosted by Legends Auction, the Hansen Team purchased seven coins for the Flowing Hair and Draped Bust Half Dollars Series (1794-1807). The total realized for the seven pre-Capped Bust Half Dollars that went into The Hansen set was $837,814.50. Of those coins, two survived the Dr. Charles Link Purchase. First the 1803 Large 3, MS63, CAC previously shown, and this 1806/5 Large Stars. Legend Auction described the coin as: WOW! This is one of the FINEST KNOWN examples of the O-101 die marriage and boasts an extensive provenance that dates back to 1885! Four die marriages featuring the 6/5 overdate are known, each using two different obverse dies. The O-101 is listed as a Rarity-3, and this one is the FINEST listed in the Tompkins Census and the finest listed in Stephen Herrman's AMBPR. The Link Specimen was also a MS63. The link coin would not have improved the Hansen Set. PCGS have graded two examples finer, a MS63+ and the MS66 that traces to the William Cutler Atwater, Reed Hawn, and Douglas C. Kaselitz Collection.

1807 O-102, MS63 Certification #82116102, PCGS #39339, POP 17/29 (POP 1/0 for O-102) Ex: NFC Coins

After a couple weeks of pondering this coin, I am still not sure how to frame up the 1807 Draped Bust Half Dollar. It is for certain a survivor, but why? I made comment pertaining to this coin on July 6th when I wrote: The Link set had a “Solitary Gem” 1807 Large Stars Half, Mint State-66 (PCGS) that last appeared in the Sep-2015, Stack's Bowers Auction of the D. Brent Pogue Collection, Part II. The coin has a current PCGS price guide value of $265,000… The best 1807 Draped Bust coin that Mr. Hansen has is a PCGS MS63, with Overall POP 17/29. The PCGS Value difference between the Link MS66 and the Hansen MS63 is $247,000. Maybe that was a factor. I later wrote: Except for Hansen 1807 Draped Bust, MS63 specimen, the starting point in this set for a specimen would be $50,000. The 1807 coin is a POP 1/0 for variant rarity (O-102) but may not be a Top 50 specimen for date. Therefore, it is a little out of place for this Hansen set from a couple perspectives: PCGS Coin Value ($17,500) and Condition Census (PCGS POP 17/29). It is possible that Mr. Hansen liked his MS63 and did want to replace at this time. There could be other reasons this coin survived. Is this slot being reserved for a coin we don’t know? Only the Hansen Team and possible Dr. Link know for sure. No official comment has been made and there may not be one.

I will used opportunity to summarize and compare head-to-head the seven coins that is different in the Retired Link Set and the new Link/Hansen Unified Set. With 15 coins being currently represented in both sets, the remaining seven coins consist of three Link coins finer, two Hansen coins finer and two tied. By design or default, the 1807 ended up being the swing coin.

1805/4 O-101, MS64, Ex: Green / Newman / Link

Ron Guth Wrote: Actually, there were two different 1805/4 overdated dies, both of which have 4's clearly visible beneath the 5, even to the naked eye. Apparently, dies were prepared in 1804 for an anticipated coinage of half dollars which never materialized. Thus, in 1805, the engravers took the two leftover 1804 dies and punched a 5 over the 4. All of the 1805/4 Half Dollars are scarce and at least one of the die varieties (O-103) is rare (and its die states are even rarer still). Based on the PCGS Population Report, the 1805/4 overdated half dollar is approximately two to three times as rare as the normal 1805 half dollar. Mint State examples of both types are exceedingly rare, and the finest examples certified by PCGS thus far (as of May 2011) are a pair of MS65 examples. The pair of GEMs are the Eliasberg/Pogue PCGS MS65. The other MS65 has no information available. So, there is only four mint states with PCGS certification, the two previous mentioned GEMS, Hansen’s previous MS62 PCGS specimen from the Eugene H. Gardner Collection, and finally a Choice MS64 Link/Hansen Specimen. This means The Hansen Collection has two of the top four mint states, assuming there are four.

This coin does appear to have more story to tell. If information is correct provide by CoinFacts, Auction Sites, etc., the Link/Hansen MS64 Specimen sold in the Heritage Auctions Nov-2013, Selections from the Eric P. Newman Collection Part II Signature Auction for $152,750. The coin was described as: 1805/4 50C MS65 NGC, CAC, Tied for Finest Known. In a population discussion, Heritage wrote: At least two obverse dies were created with the 1804 date, as two different 1805/4 obverse dies are identified today. The O-101 and O-102 varieties are each more plentiful than O-103, but only about 1,000 pieces survive of all three varieties in all different grades. The Eric P. Newman specimen and the Eliasberg specimen, both certified MS65 NGC, are the finest known 1805/4 half dollars. There are also two pieces certified MS65 PCGS according to that firm's population data. We doubt that there are four MS65 1805/4 half dollars in existence as the certified data might suggest. We believe that the Newman and Eliasberg coins are the only two Gem examples known today, and that they are the two finest 1805 half dollars that exist of any variety. When we offered it in August 1998, the Eliasberg specimen was called the finest known 1805/4 half dollar. The coin realized over $100,000 at a time when few coins reached the six-figure mark. In current CoinFacts Data, the Eliasberg/Pogue Coin has withstood the test of time, the Green / Newman / Link / Hansen coin has not as a MS65. It is currently a PCGS MS64. Will it ever recover its GEM status? Time will tell. After reading the previous catalog description, the Link/Hansen coin may not have but one coin finer after all.

Mr. Link wrote about this coin: O-101 R.3. Gold CAC. Lovely originality and eye appeal. Heritage did provide a little more detail description: Careful examination reveals faint obverse clash marks with no die cracks or polishing lines. The reverse also shows faint clash marks with no other die defects. This amazing Gem has brilliant silver mint luster that shines through the deep golden-brown and iridescent toning on each side. The strike is exquisite and the surfaces are splendid with only a few inconsequential handling marks. Here is an amazing Draped Bust, Heraldic Eagle half dollar: a true centerpiece for an extraordinary cabinet.

In the cabinet that Dr. Charles Link assembled over a long period of time, it is a difficult to say this coin is a true centerpiece for an extraordinary cabinet. There are so many other great coins that I am not sure any of the 22 coins could be meaningful described as centerpiece. With that said, the 1805/4 made a nice upgrade Hansen’s previous Eugene H. Gardner MS62 Specimen. Although, that coin was a POP 1/3 with PCGS value around $92,500. This is one of the 16 coins that Mr. Hansen replaced with the Link purchase and in doing so, replaced a Condition Census Specimen!

Provenance: Ex: Colonel E.H.R. Green Collection; Partnership of Eric P. Newman / B.G. Johnson d.b.a. St. Louis Stamp & Coin Co.; Eric P. Newman @ $40.00; Eric P. Newman Numismatic Education Society (Heritage 11/2013 as MS65 NGC CAC) Lot 33423, $152,750; ANA U.S. Coins Signature Auction / Oliver Jung Collection; (Heritage 8/2014 as MS65 NGC CAC) Lot 5583, realized $152,945.05 (Auction Record); Long Beach Expo US Coins Signature Auction / An Important New York Collection; (Heritage 6/2018 as MS65 NGC CAC), Lot 3949, $111,000; Central States (CSNS) US Coins Signature Auction / Jim O'Neal Collection (Heritage 4/2019 as MS65 NGC CAC), Lot 3719, $105,000; Dr. Charles Link’s Early Half Dollars sold as MS64 PCGS CAC, 6/2022 in Private Transaction via David Lawrence Rare Coins; D.L. Hansen Collection.

1805/4, O-101, MS64
    PCGS POP 1/2, CAC Approved
    Certification 38669593, PCGS #39290
    PCGS Price Guide $120,000 / Private Transaction
    Ex: Green / Newman (Dr. Charles Link Registry Set)

• Options

Dr. Charles Link’s Early Half Dollars with Major Varieties (1794-1807), Part 10

With this post, we will bring all the pieces together. This has been a large endeavor, but I have learned a lot and it’s been fun. The Basic set, the Major Variety set, the subsets, and Hansen survivor coins consolidated into one viewing. We will conclude the post today with the last feature coin from the Heraldic Eagle (1801-1807) subset. When selecting coins to share in features, I tend to lend on these three questions:
    1) Is the coin a PCGS Condition Census Top Five?
    2) Is the PCGS Value at least $100,000?
    3) Does the coin make any significance to the sets?
    The eleven Link coins that were featured in this series are just that and was much more.

When reviewing completed sets, there are several ways of evaluating/comparing top sets. Let’s see a few ways to compare the Link set and the new Hansen set:

PCGS Registry All-Time Finest Ranking (See chart below)
    The purchase for the 16 coins from the Link Set placed the Hansen Set in first place with GPA 60.16. Dr. Charles Link registered his set on 6/18/2014, starting with 20 of 22 coins required. He completed the set a few months later in September 2014. The set immediately obtained the #1 ranking which he never relinquishes, except for a short period of time when he unpublished his set. The Link set retired with GPA 59.34, therefore, The D.L. Hansen set is the best in PCGS Registry All-Time Finest sets.

PCGS Condition Census Top Five
    Another way to evaluate a set is by the condition of all coins. To build a set with all coins graded PCGS Condition Census Top Five is World-Class. Prior to the Link purchase, the Hansen set had several coins outside the Top Five which may contribute to this statement from a top collector: Surprisingly low grade coins from a world class Collector. I think you can say that the Hansen 22-piece set is now world-class, although, it is not 100% PCGS Condition Census Top Five. The Hansen sets has two coins that are not Top Five: 1795 2 Leaves, MS63+ POP 3/7 and 1807 Draped Bust, MS63 POP 17/29. The Link set was 100% PCGS Condition Census Top Five expect for one near miss: 1795 Small Head, VF35 POP 3/5. The Dr. Charles Link retired set was the best PCGS Condition Census Top Five set.

PCGS Sole Finest POP 1/0
    This way is sometimes used to evaluate the quality of a set. In looking at the two sets, the Link set had six PCGS Sole Finest coins: 1795 A over E in STATES MS64; 1803 Small 3 MS64; 1805 MS63; 1806 Pointed 6, No Stem MS65; 1806 Knob 6, No Stem XF40; 1806 Knob 6, Small Stars MS63. Amazingly, 27% of the set was PCGS Sole Finest specimens. Mr. Hansen purchase 5 of 6 of the Link top coins, passing on the 1806 Knob 6, No Stem XF40. The Hansen pre-existing set contained one PCGS Sole Finest specimen: 1795 Small Head MS63. As result, the Hansen set also has six PCGS Sole Finest coins. For PCGS Sole Finest POP 1/0, both sets are 27% with six coins each, resulting in a tie.

So, the difference in the retired Dr. Charles Link set and the new Link/Hansen Unification set is razor thin. I think Dr. Link said it the best a few days ago: Dell Loy had landed the very important mint state 1795 small head from the Simpson collection. So adding that coin to my set boosted Dell Loy over my number one all time ranking (by a little LOL)

1794 Flowing Hair, MS61, Certification #29596206, PCGS #6051, POP 2/2, Ex: Simpson / Link
    1795 Two Leaves (S/D), MS63+, CAC, Cert #25348636, PCGS #6052, PCGS POP 3/7, Ex: Link #2
    1795/1795 O-111, Recut Date 3 w/ Leaves, XF45 Cert #31408657, PCGS #39245, POP 1/1, Ex: Link
    1795/1795 O-112, 2 Leaves Recut Date, AU55, Cert #31879340, PCGS #39246, POP 1/1, Ex: Gardner / Link

1795 O-126a (Small Head), MS63, Cert #40274316, PCGS #39248, POP 1/0, Ex: Lord St. Oswald / Pogue / Simpson
    1795 O-113a (A/E in STATES), MS64, Cert #29607647, PCGS #39254, POP 1/0, Ex: Eliasberg / Link
    1796 O-101 (15 Stars) MS-63, Cert #04716717, PCGS #6057, POP 1/1, Ex: Eliasberg / Link
    1796 O-102 (16 Stars), MS64, Cert #06135942, PCGS #6058, POP 1/1, Ex: Hawn / Gardner / Link

1797 O-101a, MS64 CAC, Certification #29480915, PCGS #6060, PCGS POP 1/2, Ex: Reed / Link
    1801 O-101, MS62 CAC, Certification #31398668, PCGS #6064, PCGS POP 1/1, Ex: Gardner / Link
    1802 O-101, AU58 CAC, Certification #08610305, PCGS #6065, POP 9/3, Ex: Link
    1803 O-101 (Large 3, 12 Arrows), MS63 CAC, Cert #21085076, PCGS #39270, POP 2/1, Ex: Hain / Pogue / Sharfman

1803 O-104 (Small 3), MS64 CAC, Certification #05404659, PCGS #39274, PCGS POP 2/0, Ex: Hawn / Pogue / Link
    1805 O-108, MS63 Certification #25316294, PCGS #39281, PCGS POP 1/0, Ex: Green / Newman / Link
    1805/4 O-101, MS64 CAC, Certification #38669593, PCGS #39290, PCGS POP 1/2, Ex: Green / Newman / Link
    1806 Pointed 6, Stem, MS66+ CAC, Certification #13022679, PCGS #6071, PCGS POP 2/1, Ex: David Lawrence

1806 O-109 Pointed 6, No Stem, MS65 CAC, Cert #13690012, PCGS #39310, POP 1/0, Ex: Silbermunzen / Pogue / Link
    1806 O-108 Knob 6, No Stem, VF35 Cert #06548389, PCGS #6072, POP 2/1 Ex: Greer / Downey / Schertz / EH Morgan
    1806 O-106 Knob 6, Small Stars, MS63 CAC, Cert #40027809, PCGS #6075, POP 1/0. Ex: Quella / Gardner / Link
    1806/5 O-101 Large Stars, MS63 CAC, Cert #60051705, PCGS #39296, POP 2/2, Ex: Garrett / Pogue / Sharfman

1806 O-111a, 6 Invert 6 MS64 CAC, Cert #50213539, PCGS #6078, POP 2/0, Ex: Newcomer / Green / Norweb / Link
    1807 O-102, MS63 Certification #82116102, PCGS #39339, POP 17/29 (POP 1/0 for O-102) Ex: NFC Coins
    1806 Draped Bust, Pointed 6, No Stem, MS65, CAC

Although, this coin is not used in D.L. Hansen Basic Set, it is the only GEM purchased in the 16-coin Link lot. The retired Dr. Charles Link set had three PCGS graded GEMs. They were 1806 Pointed 6, Stem MS65+; 1807 Draped Bust MS65+, and 1806 Pointed 6, No Stem, MS65. The Hansen Team had a good reason not to acquire the 1806 Pointed 6, Stem MS65+ Link Specimen because the Hansen set has a better MS66+. I am not sure why the 1807 Draped Bust MS65+ was left on the table. Finally, a deal was made to include the only purchased GEM, the 1806 Pointed 6, No Stem, MS65. Purchasing this GEM may have been a hard decision because Mr. Hansen owns the #2 PCGS MS64 purchased Sep-2021 in the Legend Rare Coin Auctions from The Howard Sharfman’s Incredible Chicago Collection of Half Dollars, realized $41,125.

Ron Guth Wrote: The 1806 Pointed 6, No Stems Half Dollar is a popular, easily-recognized variety in a year full of varieties. In this case, the 6 is pointed and there is no stem in the eagle's left talon (viewer's right). The shape of the 6 was controlled by the decision of the engraver -- he picked up and used either a Pointed 6 or a Knobbed 6 punch. The missing stem was an oversight on the engraver's part -- the stem was not a part of the larger punch that included the eagle and clouds. The engraver's job was to add the stars in the field above the eagle and the stem. This is one of the most common varieties of the year, which means that collectors will have no difficulty locating an example, even in high grade. There is one die variety for this type - Overton 109 (later die states are styled as Overton 109a). Both PCGS and NGC have each graded just a single MS65 finer. There are only handful coins that are even close to being as fine as the Link/Hansen MS65 Specimen. The first is the Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr. Collection specimen that appeared in the Bowers & Merena Auction on 4/1997. The Eliasberg coin realized $126,500. There are also couple other PCGS specimens, with one graded MS64 and other graded MS63. As previous mention, Mr. Hansen owns the PCGS MS64.

CoinFacts survival estimate for this major variety coin as about 2000 specimens, with about 30 being mint state. With 30 mint states, it is a little surprising that the Link/Hansen specimen may be the sole GEM. Stacks Bower cataloger in the auction of the D. Brent Pogue Collection writes: Only two varieties of 1806 half dollars use a reverse with no stem through the eagle’s claw, this one and the extremely rare O-108, as offered in the previous lot. Though a fair number are known in nice grade, including more than a dozen in lower Mint State grades, this is the only Gem MS-65 to have been certified by PCGS. This variety appears to have been first published in the so-called “Haseltine Type Table,” an 1881 auction by John Haseltine that was published as a monograph, thereafter serving as the first listing of die varieties of quarter dollars, half dollars, and silver dollars. The collection was built by J. Colvin Randall, a Philadelphia numismatist, and it was Randall who wrote the Type Table, despite Haseltine’s claims of authorship. Randall owned a specimen he called Uncirculated (perhaps this specimen?). His idea that the variety was extremely rare has been modified by later discoveries, as collecting half dollars by variety has become a popular pastime in the 20th and 21st centuries.

Also, the Stacks cataloger provided a rather detailed description: Astoundingly beautiful and well preserved, a thrilling gem specimen. The cartwheel luster is almost beyond the bounds of the believable, and the strike is similarly fine. Each star on the right side of the obverse shows full raised central detail, as do nearly all of the stars among the reverse star cluster. Each eagle feather from chest to wingtip shows its full complement of graver strokes, a manifestation of the engraver’s ideal. The clouds are rounded and the denticles are sharp. Even the raised lathe lines at the central obverse are clear. Over this precise strike is superior toning, with bright gold at the rims embracing a frosty gray center that incorporates shades of violet and blue. The reverse is even more decorative and colorful, showing orange and brighter blue. A speck of residue persists inside star 11, and another piece of detritus is seen between the hair ribbon and stars, but no notable marks are found with a glass. A spot of deeper toning is harmless, just above the bust. Two clashes are seen on the obverse above the date, but evidence of only one impression is seen on the reverse, noted only between the wingtip and OF.

Provenance: Ex: Club Cal Neva Sale (Superior 9/1987), Lot 225; Jascha Heifetz Collection (Superior 10/1989), Lot 595, realized $22,000; Silbermünzen Collection (Heritage 5/2008 as MS63 PCGS), Lot 500, realized $63,250; The D. Brent Pogue Collection, Part I, (Stack's/Bowers & Sotheby's 5/2015 as MS65 PCGS) Lot 1113, realized $129,250 (Auction Record), Dr. Charles Link Collection; Dr. Charles Link’s Early Half Dollars sold 6/2022 in Private Transaction via David Lawrence Rare Coins; D.L. Hansen Collection

1806 Draped Bust, Pointed 6, No Stem, MS65, O-109, MS65
    PCGS POP 1/0, CAC Approved
    Certification #13690012, PCGS #39310
    PCGS Price Guide $120,000 / Private Transaction
    Ex: Silbermunzen / Pogue (Dr. Charles Link Registry Set)

• Options

Dr. Charles Link’s Early Half Dollars with Major Varieties (1794-1807), Part 11

Probably in ‘19, I made the hard decision that I am really going to go for best in grade.. really going to start to scrutinize the top coins for each date and grade.. asserted effort to buy those coins and upgrade those coins – Dell Loy Hansen (A Behind-the-Scenes Look at the Hansen Collection - from the NNP, 16:25 / 32:26)

This eleven-part series was dedicated to the purchase of the fabulous Dr. Charles Link’s Early Half Dollars will end where we started a few weeks ago. The Half Dollar denomination started with the production of the 1794 Silver Dollar. In the first year, 23,464 Flowing Hair Half Dollars were produced. After near 230 years, the denomination is still being annually produced even though they are not being used in commerce very much. PCGS has a registry set the represents the “entire” collection of half dollars: U.S. Half Dollars Complete Set with Major Varieties, Circulation Strikes (1794-present). 532 coins are required to complete the set from 1794-2020. The D.L. Hansen Collection has 531 coins missing the 1842 Small Date, Rev of 1839 Seated Liberty. Mr. Hansen is attempting to make history by competing the first registry set and at an astonishing level of quality.

PCGS Registry Comment: With the addition of major varieties to the set, two additional rarities come into the mix. The 1806, Knob 6, no Stem is extremely rare, with fewer than half a dozen examples extant. The 1817/4 overdate is the most famous and valuable of all the Capped Bust Half Dollars. As of now, only about 11 pieces are known, but it is important to realize that four of the eleven known 1817/4 Half Dollars have been discovered since 2005, and that the most recent find was in late 2013 or early 2014, when an example was purchased as a Punctuated Date 1817! This set is certainly one of the widest in scope and due to the large size of the coins, one of the most enjoyable to view and display. In the two fore mention rarities, the Hansen coins are a couple of amazing condition census specimens:

1806 O-108 Knob 6, No Stem, VF35 Cert #06548389, PCGS #6072, POP 2/1, Ex: Greer / EH Morgan
    1817/4 50C VF20 cert #16351096, PCGS #6112, POP 2/2, Ex: Witham (Discovered Ed Johnson)

Surprisingly, there are several rare Seated Liberty Half Dollars that were not mention in the PCGS Registry comment, including the 1853-O No Arrows, VF35 which the D.L. Hansen Collection has the Garrett Specimen, finest of four known. Also, the 1842 Small Date, Rev of 1839 Seated Liberty is the only coin missing in the collection. This coin is a rarity with only four known with just one mint state specimen. There are several other dates in this series that are not known in uncirculated. In this 532-piece set, there are eight Hansen coins graded between VF20-XF45. Of the eight coins, five are PCGS Condition Top Five. The prime circulated coin for replacement is the 1861-O CSA Obverse, XF40, POP 18/38 specimen.

The overall PCGS Condition Census of the 532-piece registry set:
    Sole Finest POP 1/0 Specimens - 80 Coins - 15%
    Tied for Finest POP X/0 Specimens – 189 Coins – 35.5%
    Only One Coin graded Finer Specimens – 95 Coins – 18%
    Additional Condition Census Top 5 Specimens – 90 Coins – 17%
    Non- Condition Census Specimen – 77 Coins – 14.5%
    Missing Specimen – 1 Coin – 0.2%

You can gather several interesting take-a-ways from these stats. First, The Hansen Collection of Half Dollars has slightly more than 50% of the coins that are either sole finest or tied for finest. Also, the set contains 85% Condition Census Top 5 Specimens. From this prospective, the $3.5 plus Million Dollars that Mr. Hansen spent on 16 coins have very little significance on overall Condition Census of a 532-piece set.

In early March 2021, the Hansen Collection purchased 14 Franklin Half Dollars from Linda Gail Collection. At the time, I posted: I mention a few days ago that I will have a brief discussion on significance. I wrote: The 14 Linda Gail Franklins were purchased to upgrade Hansen Great Collection of Half Dollars. In this mega collection, it can be hard to realize how significant 14 coins can be. After all, the Hall of Fame basic set requires 3741, so can 14 coins make any difference? In GPA, I would say not much. To really understand the true dynamics of what is slowly taking place, the mega set has to be broken down in bit size pieces. In doing so, I took a stab at taking a closer look by denomination (or groups) and then even more granular by series (Registry sets). At this point, what I am going to share is something that I don’t believe to be a Hansen goal. We have been told which I believe to be true, that Mr. Hansen is just having fun with his collection. He is hunting for coins to improve the sets and collection. He enjoys building sets. The results from having fun are phenomenal. I also shared the following:

I broke out 439 coins of the 3741-piece Hall of Fame set and form the Half Dollar Collection. Then let’s take a deeper look at this 439-piece collection. I broke the half dollars into seven basic series that represent the Half Dollars from 1796 to present. I hope this gives you a better feel of just what has materialized with the 14-coin Linda Gail purchase. For half dollars, the Hansen Collection current has the all-time finest sets in four of the seven series. I believe this to be the first time ever for the Hansen Collection to have this many top sets for one denomination. We should recognize that the two early sets need a little more improvement. It is not realistic that Mr. Hansen can build or buy every top set for all series. The Hansen basic set improved to a very respectable GPA 62.93 closing the gap on D. Brent Pogue Collection. Maybe more importantly, the purchase moved the set up in all-time ranking from #7 to #4.

The Link Half Dollar purchase is not just a basic set improvement, rather I believe to be more significant to the Major Varieties sets. For that reason, I expanded this to include the major varieties and added some additional beneficial information.

In this table, we can easily evaluate the importance of the Link purchase in respect to sets. I have represented the Half Dollars Major Varieties, 1794 – Present in seven sets. In this case, all sets are in the PCGS registry. With the Link purchase, the Flowing Hair / Draped Bust (1794-1807) set now fits nicely and is complementary to the other sets. The Franklin Half FBL (1948-1963) has the largest percentage PCGS Top Pop Finest coins (77%). The Barber (1892-1915) has the largest percentage PCGS Condition Census (Top Five) coins (100%). Amazingly, the composition of the Half Dollar Collection has slightly more than half of the coins PCGS Top Pop Finest specimens. Obviously from the chart, the two weakest sets are the Capped Bust (1807-1839) and Walking Liberty (1916-1947). The Hansen team has worked hard to improve the Capped Bust (1807-1839). Last year, they purchased eleven coins for Capped Bust Halves Major Varieties from the Howard Sharfman’s Incredible Chicago Collection of Half Dollars. With only 53% of coins PCGS Condition Census, the set has a lot of opportunities still. The Walking Liberty (1916-1947) is other weak set with 39% PCGS TOP POP Finest and 77% PCGS Condition Census.

We have learned in the past couple months that Mr. Hansen goal is twofold, “to build complete sets and have fun”. For Mr. Hansen, I am sure working with his team including John Brush, and with Dr. Charles Link to negotiate the purchase of the 16 coins was a lot of fun. Mr. Link wrote a few days ago: It was a pleasure to deal with Dell Loy and John Brush directly on finding a new home for my set. As you saw today, his set is right at home with the other Hansen Half Dollar sets. As for the future, there are several other exciting collections that will hit the market in the next few months. We will have to see if Mr. Hansen used all his fun up!

1794 Flowing Hair, MS61, Ex: Simpson / Link

This is the coin that started it all for the US Half Dollars. The Hansen Collection has a solid PCGS Condition Census example for this first coin in the denomination. Providing expert comments, Ron Guth wrote: 1794 was the first year for of the Half Dollar denomination (for some reason, no pattern Half Dollars were made in 1792 even though the Half Dollar was a part of the official, coinage scheme). The mintage reported for this inaugural year was only 23,464 pieces, which was less than a tenth of the following year. Because this was a high-denomination coin, few "man-on-the-street" types ever saw this coin, assuming they even knew it existed. Thus, very few ended being preserved for future generations. Of the five Mint State 1794 Half Dollars, the star is the PCGS MS64 from the D. Brent Pogue Collection that sold for $763,750 in 2015. The next best example appears to be the Reed Hawn coin that last sold as part of the Queller Family Collection in 2002 for $195,500. That coin was called Choice Brilliant Uncirculated in 2002 and has not reappeared at auction since then.

On the PCGS Condition Census report, the Simpson/Link/Hansen MS61 specimens is tied for third behind the Pogue and Hawn specimens. The Pogue MS64+ specimen is currently in the Jim O’Neal Collection. The other PCGS MS61 is the Ex: Eliasberg/Friend Specimen that last sold in a Jan-2019 Heritage Auction realizing $288,000. There may be a couple other non-PCGS mint states.

The Hansen/Link 1794 Specimen’s provenance atarted almost 65 years when first appearing in Stack's 11/1957 Sale of the Empire Collection. The coin realized $132,250 in the Jan-2004 Stack’s Americana Sale of the John R. Gregg, Jr. Collection. The coin showed up a few years later in the 8/2006 American Numismatic Rarities of The Old West & Franklinton Collections, Lot 544, realized $195,500. After this sale 16 years ago, the history is a little mysterious. Reportedly, the coin spent some time in the Bob Simpson Collection before finding the recent home in Dr. Charles Link’s collection.

I was able to locate my catalog of the Aug-2006 American Numismatic Rarities sale of The Old West & Franklinton Collections. Christine Karstedt and Q. David Bowers hosted some great sales back in that time. The highlights of The Old West Collection were Carson City $5 and $10. The Franklin Collection is a New England cabinet, and the highlights are not that clear. It is no mention who the consignor of the 1796 MS61 Half Dollar. Amazingly, no less than four 1794 Half Dollars were offered in this sale as follows: Lot 544 Link Hansen MS61 NGC, Lot 545 VG (PGI), Lot 546 VG8 (PCGS) and Lot 547 AU 58 PCGS bills as the Finest Known 1794 0-105, Ex: Eliasberg. The AU58 Eliasberg realized $253,000!

ANR’s cataloger description: A highly impressive specimen of our first half dollar issue, one of the very finest known of the variety or date. Lovely opalescent antique silver gray surfaces yield to subtle olive highlights and generous cartwheel luster. The eye appeal is magnificent, “boasting an incredibly original appearance” as the 2004 Stack’s catalogue put it. The strike is excellent on both sides, an important consideration for this sometimes unevenly impressed issue, and exemplary detail is seen in Liberty’s hair, the eagle’s head and wings, and the peripheries. It is cool going back in time and reading catalog descriptions from the past. Due to lack of great imagery, the long-lost art of describing a coin is refreshing.

The ANR’s cataloger continues the description highlighting overall quality: Some natural adjustment marks are seen on the obverse, but only under scrutiny, as the force of the strike mostly obliterated them; the diagonal vestiges are mostly notable in the high point of Liberty’s hair at the precise central obverse, with lesser lines seen on the cheek and in the field in front of Liberty’s chin. A few shorter adjustment marks are seen outside the stars on the right side of the obverse. A thin curved scratch runs from in front of Liberty’s nose to inside star 13, some minor scattered contact points, nothing serious. The overall quality is impressive, and the aesthetic appeal is grand. Some people refer to a specimen like this as “wholesome” though we prefer the rare-book term “unsophisticated” used to describe a book that has never been rebound, fixed, or otherwise tampered with. You don’t see this type of descriptions as much today. For me, this is a lot better description than overusing terms like WOW, monster, moon, etc.

The ANR’s cataloger completes the description with a discussion on rarity: A rarity in all grades, Mint State 1794 half dollars are a special and highly desirable breed. A handful of top-grade pieces exist, all from this Overton-101 die pair, including the lovely Eliasberg coin, the high-grade Reed Hawn-Queller specimen, the Jimmy Hayes coin that last sold in 1985, and the magnificent F.C.C. Boyd-Noblet coin (PCGS MS63) that sold in 1999 for $288,500. With only these few to satisfy all the connoisseurs of this popular denomination, the opportunity to purchase one is not to be taken lightly. Many great collections of half dollars have contained only circulated specimens of this date, even Pryor had only a VF from this die marriage. Ownership of any 1794 half dollar is a point of pride, but successfully purchasing a specimen like this could really define a world-class cabinet of this denomination.

Also 16 years later, this 1794 MS61 coin end up in a world-class cabinet of this denomination owned by Dell Loy Hansen along with 21 other magnificent early half dollars. The Hansen Specimen replaced was a 1794 PCGS AU53 CAC, purchased in a Mar-2019 Legend Auction described as “Multiple WOW factors here!” The coin realized $129,250. Is this world-class cabinet of Flowing Hair / Draped Bust half dollars completed? There is a little room of improvement, and we will have to watch and see if Mr. Hansen wants to have more fun with the set. Thanks for following along with this series.

Provenance: Ex: Empire Collection (Stack's 11/1957), Lot 1264; Americana Sale / John R. Gregg, Jr. Collection (Stack's 1/2004) Lot 3303, realized $132,250; Sale of The Old West & Franklinton Collections, (American Numismatic Rarities 8/2006 as MS61 NGC) Lot 544, realized $195,500; Simpson Collection; Dr. Charles Link’s Early Half Dollars sold 6/2022 in Private Transaction via David Lawrence Rare Coins; D.L. Hansen Collection

1794 Flowing Hair Half Dollar
    PCGS POP 2/2
    Certification #29596206, PCGS #6051
    PCGS Price Guide $360,000 / Private Transaction
    Ex: Gregg / Simpson (Dr. Charles Link Registry Set)

• Options
    gschwernkgschwernk Posts: 338 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great write up. Mr. Hansen's prusuit of varities is awesome.

• Options
    edited August 5, 2022 2:22AM

As some may now, I'm a big Virgil Brand fan and was delighted to run across Brand-Hansen coin!

1802 Draped Bust Dollar
    PCGS PR64 POP 2/0
    Certification #60087183, PCGS #6905
    PCGS Price Guide $450,000
    Ex: Virgil Brand

It would be great to see this coin with a Hansen insert that mentions Virgil Brand!

• Options
    WiscKauWiscKau Posts: 88 ✭✭✭

That 1861 DCAM is FANTASTIC!!!

<3

• Options

One thing I love about @DLHansen's collecting is that he collects all eras of US coins.

Here are some interesting coins from @DLHansen's Ike set!

What's really interesting about these is that they look like they are from the same coin submission from their cert numbers, but they have 3 different generations of TrueViews!

• Options
    edited August 26, 2022 9:18PM

Outstanding Wurt Collection of Morgan Dollars, Part 1

The Wurt Collection of Morgan Dollars of Major Varieties, Circulation Strikes (1878-1921) has been acquired by Mike's Coin Chest and will be sold piece by piece. This set is within the Morgan Dollars of Major Varieties, Circulation Strikes (1878-1921) category.– PCGS (August 17, 2022)

This story starts with the Stacks Bowers November 2020 Auction of The Larry H. Miller Collection of Morgan Dollars. Prior to this sale, The DL Hansen Collection of Morgan Dollars had an All-Time Finest Ranking of 18 in the PCGS registry. Mr. Hansen purchased eight Morgan Dollars in the sale, paying approx. $3.6 Million. The lowest price that he paid was $66,000 for the 1886-S MS67, PCGS POP 5/0, CAC. The other seven coins all realized six figures, as shown below:

1895-S, MS67DMPL, POP 1/0, CAC, Cert #04884182, Realized $336,000, Ex: Jack Lee
    1893-O, MS65DMPL, POP 1/1, CAC, Cert #04884185, Realized $360,000, Ex: Jack Lee
    1892-S, MS68, POP 1/0, Cert #07455547, Realized $630,000, Ex: Jack Lee
    1897-O, MS67, POP 2/0, Cert #05700150, Realized $348,000, Ex: Jack Lee
    1895-O, MS67, POP 1/0, Cert #07455561, Realized $528,000, Ex: Wayne Miller/ Jack Lee
    1884-S, MS68, POP 1/0, Cert #07455496, Realized $750,000, Ex: Chuck Walanka / Jack Lee
    1893-S, MS65, POP 5/1, CAC, Cert #03134219, Realized $600,000, Ex: Larry H. Miller Collection

If you can think of constructing a building, this purchase became the foundation of building the tallest building in town. To add some substance to this statement, I will bring in focus the key date, top thirteen coins based on PCGS weighting (8-10). There is only one coin weighted 10, the 1893-S. The remaining twelve is split down the middle with six weighted as nine, and six weighted at eight. Here are the twelve key date Morgan’s currently in the Hansen Collection plus the 1893-S.

PCGS Weight 10
    1893-S (10.00) MS65 POP 5/1, From Larry H. Miller

PCGS Weighted 9
    1884-S (9.00) MS68 POP 1/0, Finest certified by PCGS, From Larry H. Miller
    1889-CC (9.00) MS64+DMPL POP 3/3, Finest PCGS certified DMPL, From 2016/2017
    1895-O (9.00) MS67 POP 1/0, Finest certified by PCGS, From Larry H. Miller
    1896-O (9.00) MS64 POP 32/3, From DLRC 2018
    1901 (9.00) MS64 POP 33/3, From DLRC 2018
    1901 DDR (9.00) MS62 POP 3/1, From Barry Stuppler, Mint State Gold (Late Jan 2021)

PCGS Weighted 8
    1886-O (8.00) MS65 POP 6/2, From Wurt Collection (Aug 2022)
    1892-S (8.00) MS68 1/0, Finest certified by PCGS, From Larry H. Miller
    1893-CC (8.00) MS65 POP 13/4, From DLRC 2018
    1893-O (8.00) MS65+ DMPL POP 3/1, Finest PCGS certified DMPL, From Larry H. Miller
    1894 (8.00) MS66+, POP 1/0, Finest certified by PCGS, From Wurt Collection (Aug 2022)
    1895-S (8.00) MS67DMPL 1/0, Finest certified by PCGS, From Larry H. Miller

With this current purchase all thirteen of the highest weighted coins are PCGS Census Condition Top Five, with five as PCGS POP 1/0 Sole Finest. Two other specimens are finest PCGS certified DMPL. This sets the stage for this Morgan Collection to reach great heights.

As we sometimes see, Mr. Hansen will follow-up a great purchase with a second punch. That is exactly what happened in late November 2020. The Illinois Morgan Collection was on the market. Barry Stuppler ‘s desire was to keep the set together and sell intact. The set contained 12 PCGS POP 1/0 specimens; with most all the sole finest Illinois coins are from the Coronet Collection. After an unsuccessful attempt to sell intact, Mr. Stuppler broke the set and stated to sell individually. Well, now Mr. Hansen second punch was the purchase of four of the PCGS POP 1/0 specimens.

1881 (4) MS67+, POP 1/0, Finest certified by PCGS
    1883-S (7) MS67+PL, POP 1/0, Finest certified by PCGS
    1898-O (1) MS68DMPL, POP 1/0, Finest certified by PCGS
    1903-S (7) MS67+, POP 1/0, Finest certified by PCGS

These four upgrades provided enough of a bump, that the Hansen Collection hit #4 in the all-time ranking. This is a move up from #6 and the first time ever on the all-time leader board for the Basic Morgan Dollars. It also represents a move into first place in the current rankings. Today, the Hansen set still remains in #4 in the all-time BASIC ranking, although I no track the basic sets.

The second punch was really a combination, because he delivered another quick purchase of four additional Morgan Dollars a couple months later in January 2021. Three of the four coins were purchased from Barry Stuppler, (Illinois Collection). The other coin is from another source that Mr. Hansen frequently turns to, GreatCollections Auction. Here are the four 2020 upgrades and approximately when purchased.

GreatCollections Auction (1/24/2021)
    1903-O, MS67+, CAC, POP 10/0, Tied Finest certified by PCGS

Barry Stuppler – Mint State Gold – Late January 2021
    1878 7TF (Rev 79), MS67, POP 1/0, Finest certified by PCGS
    1901 DDR, PCGS MS62, POP 3/1
    1904-S, MS67 CAC, POP 2/0, Finest certified by PCGS

Mr. Hansen delivered couple addition punches in late May 2021. He picked a Morgan Dollar from Larry Shapiro Rare Coin. The 1883-O MS67+ CAC Approved (PCGS POP 20/1) coin is not that rare and expensive. The asked price on the website was $7,495. The coin sold in Heritage Central States US Coins Signature Auction in April 2021. Then, DLH purchased one additional coin from Barry Stuppler at Mint State Gold (MSG). The coin purchase was the 1894, MS65+ CAC (PCGS POP 6/6). The ask for the coin was $46,000. The coin replaced a MS64 with POP of 288/67. No question this was a nice and much needed upgrade, but it was not a PCGS Condition Census Top Five Specimen. After this purchase of the 1894 in late May 2021, Mr. Hansen completely dropped out of the fight for 15 months, until this week at the ANA World's Fair of Money. He replaced the last coin purchased.

1894 Morgan Dollar MS66+, CAC, Ex: Jack Lee 2 / Coronet / Wurt PCGS Registry Set

This is one of the top 13 weighted (Key Dates) in the 117-piece set. DLH replaces the MS65+, CAC, Ex: Illinois Set specimen purchased 15 months ago. This Wurt MS66+ CAC specimen is the superstar. The mintage for the coin is 110,000. Coin Facts estimates 8,990 survived in all grades with 6,490 in mint grade. Coin Facts estimate 125 is the survival for GEM. That sounds like a lot but is certainly not enough to cover the thirst of the Morgan Collectors. The basic PCGS registry has almost 1000 (978) sets in the registry. How many Morgan set collectors outside the registry is unknown and hard to imagine.

Expect Q. David Bowers stated: The 1894 dollar has the lowest circulation strike mintage of any Morgan dollar except the 1893-S (not including the 1895). As such, they have always been popular with collectors. Although quantities of Mint State coins existed in the 1950s and early 1960s, nearly all have been dispersed by now. Among Philadelphia Mint Morgan dollars, the 1894 is the second rarest (after 1901) in Mint State. Examples are offered for sale with regularity, but in the modern market it is seldom that even a small group is found. Most coins are in lower Mint State ranges. The demand for the latter is softened somewhat by the availability of high-grade Proofs. The striking quality of Mint State 1894 Morgan dollars ranges from average to sharp. The lustre on most well-struck pieces is frosty and attractive. On the other hand, average to below average coins are apt to have weak breast feathers on the eagle and have unsatisfactory lustre. Due this low availability, Expert Ron Guth warned: BEWARE OF ALTERED COINS WITH REMOVED MINTMARKS.

This MS66+ specimen is from the Jack Lee 2 Collection. The coin resided in Coronet Collection before being offered by Legend Rare Coin in 2015, the coin realized $152,750 (Auction Record). The coin was described as: We can't imagine a better coin to start Part II of the Coronet Collection of Morgan Dollars. Not only is this coin superior to every other 1894-P, at first glance it even looks like an 1879-S! Incredible surfaces are satin smooth and have faint traces of semi-prooflike mirrors. Marks, ticks, and lines are all held to a bare minimum, visible only through a strong glass. A full, booming luster shows off original, creamy white color. Miss Liberty and the details are frosty and sharply struck. The eye appeal is fantastic! This is the sole MS66+ graded by PCGS and it last brought $74,750.00 in a 2009 auction. If you're a gem Morgan collector, you know how exceedingly rare a true gem 1894 is and to have the opportunity to own the undisputed finest 1894 Morgan Dollar is an opportunity that cannot be missed! We expect this coin to start off Part II of the Coronet Collection with a record price. Good luck!

The coin was one of the centerpieces in the Wurt Collection (PCGS Set Registry). The Wurt Morgan Collection was on display at ANA World's Fair of Money and offered for sale be sold piece by piece by Mike's Coin Chest. This is one piece that was purchased to go into the D.L. Hansen Collection to replace the Illinois Set Specimen.

Provenance: Jack Lee 2 Collection; Coronet Collection, (Legend Rare Coin Auctions 10/2015) Lot 1, Realized $152,750; Wurt Collection (PCGS Set Registry), David Lawrence acquired at American Numismatic Association's World's Fair of Money in offering by Mike's Coin Chest; D.L. Hansen Collection.

1894 Morgan Dollar MS66+
    PCGS POP 1/0, Finest Certified by PCGS and finest CAC Approved
    Certification #25635922, PCGS #7228
    PCGS Value Guide: $200,000 / Purchased Shaun Bobb of Mike's Coin Chest
    Ex: Jack Lee 2 / Coronet / Wurt PCGS Registry Set

• Options
    edited August 26, 2022 9:19PM

Outstanding Wurt Collection of Morgan Dollars, Part 3

This piece is a total headlight.– Mike’s Coin Chest, Inc. (August 2022)

This D.L. Hansen story of Morgan Dollars continues. The past couple posting, you saw two of the five highlights specimens that The D.L. Hansen Collection acquired from Outstanding Wurt Collection of Morgan Dollars. Today will be the third. But as I indicated earlier, I am not certain the total that the Hansen team acquired, but it seems in the 23-24 piece range. I found a couple coins upgraded in #2 set, but the bulk was top set upgrades. Along with the five highlights, there were 16 additional upgrades totaling 21 coins. I have included this chart to provide a visible perception.

There were 21 coins upgraded/switched on 8/17/29022. Actually, seeing the coins in this chart is difficult, but as you can see with the shading, two of the coins in bright yellow are PCGS POP 1/0 sole finest (1894 and 1899-O micro). In addition, six are tied for finest certified by PCGS. There are ten others that are PCGS Condition Census Top Five. Wrapping up the final three, they are non-condition census with the highest PCGS POP being the 1894-O MS64+ CAC, Cert #25635879, PCGS POP 75/17, valued at $13,000. The other two coins just missing the top five, 1880 PCGS/CAC MS65+ (VAM-9, 8/7 Stem) PCGS POP 6/5 and 1886-S PCGS/CAC MS66+ with PCGS POP 9/5. Also note, all of the Wurt coins are CAC Approved, even in the Hansen notes that is not shown to be 100%. My table below, show the sixteen upgrades.

I reported earlier, the top five upgrades have a total PCGS Price Guide Value of $877,500. The second grouping of 16 coins are PCGS valued at $351,250. This placed the total PCGS Price Guide Value of the 21-piece top set purchase somewhere around $1.2 Million. The grade gap is rapidly closing between the D.L. Hansen Sets and the PCGS Registry All-Time Finest Sets. Now, let’s see the feature coin for today.

1880-O Morgan Dollar MS66, CAC, Ex: Wurt PCGS Registry Set

On Mike’s Coin Chest, Inc. website, this coin is described as: This 1880-O PCGS MS66 CAC Morgan Dollar is incredible! It is POP 2 graded by PCGS and is the only CAC known. This piece is a total headlight. It has vibrant cartwheel luster that glows in the light and has sharply struck details. This 1880-O is a total standout and is one of the many Wurt set show pieces in the collection. This hand-picked coin is second to none and stands as the finest known for the date.

The current auction record for the date and mint is $54,625 for a PCGS MS65 Deep Mirror Prooflike specimen. The record was set in Heritage’s August 2009 US Coin Auction in Los Angeles, CA. The coin is an Ex: Jack Lee and from Carson Silver Collection. The finest graded Morgan that ever appeared in auction was a pair of MS65+ PCGS. The June 2021 Heritage appearance realized $36,000. The two top end specimens are graded PCGS MS66 have never appeared in auction. The other PCGS MS66 specimen is the Ex: R. Dier specimen. The coin currently resides in Gold River Set. In an interesting side twist, the owner of the Gold River Set gives credit providing the inspiration of the Morgan set to Mike Bobb, from Mike’s Coin Chest. He describes the assembling of the set as a long journey with Mike and his son, Shaun. I find it interesting that both the 1880-O PCGS MS66 specimens were assembled by Mike and Shaun. Their source for both coins is unknown.

Unfortunately, other than being sourced by Mike’s Coin Chest, there is not much other information of the PCGS MS66 coins. Interesting, there is not much written on the 1880-O in general. CoinFacts to do not provide any information. I did find this little nugget on Gainesville Coins website: Most of the 5.3 million Morgan dollars struck at the New Orleans Mint in 1880 went directly into circulation. The 1880-O Morgan dollar is a famous conditional rarity. It is one of the most expensive of all Morgan dollars at MS65. The finest known 1880-O Morgan at NGC is MS65. PCGS has graded eight at MS65+, and only two at MS66. This isn't caused by any weakness in strike, as is the case for many other New Orleans dates. It is due to most of the mintage going into circulation soon after they were made..

We do not know what the Hansen Team actually paid for this coin and may never will. I am not sure how two parties can come together on a price without any sales references. PCGS Price Guide valued this coin at $200,000. How do they determine that number? I am not sure. It is not any doubt that the Hansen Team did not waste any time picking up this coin in a private sale. In a deal that upgraded 21 coins in the Collection!

Provenance: Wurt Collection (PCGS Set Registry), David Lawrence acquired at American Numismatic Association's World's Fair of Money in offering by Mike's Coin Chest; D.L. Hansen Collection.

1880-O Morgan Dollar MS66
    PCGS POP 2/0, CAC Approved
    Certification #37785599, PCGS #7114
    PCGS Value Guide: $200,000 / Purchased Shaun Bobb of Mike's Coin Chest
    Ex: Wurt PCGS Registry Set

• Options

That 1880-O is spectacular!

• Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

thank you for the updates! love the read

may the fonz be with you...always...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file