Hansen watch.

Comments

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damn. Just wow on those latest additions. :o

• Options
    CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 4, 2022 12:14PM

Historic Harry W. Bass Jr. Core Collection Part I - US Coins Signature Auction (4 of 8)

As for the high relief coins, have several hundred struck and allow the collectors of the country to obtain specimens as you suggested, none to be issued until the new issue is out. They should be preserved as the work of a great American artist. - Roosevelt in a July 29, 1907, letter to Treasury Secretary Cortelyou

Sometimes, the Hansen Team will purchase a coin that I did not expect. This was one of them. I did not see purchasing the Bass Indian Eagle coming. It is a nice coin, but it is not PCGS condition census. It was in lot 68 which was near the end of the gold portion of the sale. Did that play a factor, possibility, especially if the team came short of spending its allotted budget? The Hansen Team was not successful in winning one of the three coins that realized million-dollars or more. Also, the Indian Eagle CAC Approved coin went for slightly less than the PCGS Price Guide of $200,000, which is somewhat unheard of in today’s market. With all the great coins in the Bass sale, this coin may have not only been off my radar, but many others too.

The coin is from The Harry Bass Type set. In fact, David Calhoun acquired the coin in 2000 specifically for the Harry W. Bass, Jr. Foundation Collection. This means the coin was not part of the original Harry Bass personal collection. On the foundation website, The Bass U.S. Gold Type Set 1834-1933 is described as: The U.S. produced gold coins from 1795 to 1933, starting with denominations of $2.50, $5, and $10. More denominations were added after the discovery of gold in California – $1 in 1849 and $20 in 1850. Minted in one of the world’s most precious metals, these historic coins were designed by some of the finest artists of the day. With the passing of the Coinage Act of June 28, 1834, the authorized weight of gold coins was reduced. Because early gold pieces minted between 1795 and 1834 contain some of the rarest dates, many collectors choose to start their collections with Classic Head gold pieces of 1834.The Harry Bass Type Set includes examples of these later issue gold coins, 1834-1933, by design types, in all six denominations of the period. The Bass Type set consisted of 45 coins. The first gold coin sold in the Bass sale was from his type set, the 1849 Gold One Dollar, MS67+ specimen. As reported, Mr. Hansen purchased this coin. Also, the new Hansen 1854 Gold Dollar, PR65 Deep Cameo specimen is from the type set. The 1907 Indian Eagle, Wire Edge accounts for the third and final Bass type coin that D.L. Hansen purchased in the first sale.

The D.L. Hansen Indian Head Eagles (1907-1933) set is one of the few sets that has not made the PCGS top five leaderboard, and there is good reason for it. Currently the set is 100% complete with a GPA of 61.90. This is nearly 3.5 points behind the #9 All-Time Finest set, Dr. and Mrs. Steven L. Duckor. The set is severely handicapped by the 1933 Indian Head Eagle that is grade N1 by PCGS. It is a magnificent and appearing coin, but it has been doctored on the cheek. If this one coin was replaced with a straight grade M65 PCGS, the GPA would jump to 65.645. Due to popularly and the cost for condition census coins in this 32-piece set, it going to be an expensive undertaking for Mr. Hansen to improve this set where it becomes consistent with his other sets. Just what is that consistency? For the Hansen 69 sets that makes up his core US Entire Mint State Issues, his All-Time leaderboard average is 3.2. The average for the three eagle sets is 4.7 with clearly the Hansen Indian Head Eagles having a big time drag on the sets. As they say, to eat an elephant, take one bite at a time. Bass 1907 Indian Eagle, Wire Edge specimen is one little bite.

An Enduring Artistic Achievement

1907 Indian Eagle, Wire Edge, MS66, Ex: Bass

Typically, this coin is considered the first coin needed a 32-piece set. It is one of two early minted coins in a new series. In an early writing by expert David Akers: Technically, the 1907 Wire Edge is a pattern (Judd 1774) and not a regular issue, but it has always been considered an integral part of the series. The 500-mintage figure comes from a 1908 letter from dealer Henry Chapman to John Garrett, and this number is probably correct since Chapman had very close Mint connections. It is entirely possible that all 500 are really proofs rather than business strikes but there is no way to know for sure. One thing is certain, however; all of the known examples of this issue are of the same method of manufacture and so any distinction between "Proof" and "business strike" 1907 Wire Edge eagles is incorrect. The typical specimen is fairly well struck on the central devices (Indian and eagle) but very weakly struck at the borders. Lustre is typically good to very good. The surfaces are rather satiny with numerous random die scratches in the fields and the color is almost always light-yellow gold or light greenish gold although some specimens are either orange gold or very coppery in color. The 1907 Wire Edge is one of the highest priced issues of the series, but it is actually in the lower half of the series with respect to both overall rarity and condition rarity. Locating a specimen MS-63 or lower is not particularly difficult and even very choice pieces (MS-64) are seen fairly often. However, true gems are certainly very rare since there is no rim on these coins and so unprotected surfaces are prone to nicks and scratches. A few extraordinary quality examples exist that are very nearly as struck. Dr. John Wilkinson's was perhaps the nicest I have seen, but a handful of others are just about the same.

Over the years, the number of GEMs has increased. PCGS rarity and survival estimate is about 125 MS65 or better. PCGS certified GEMS stand at approx. 100. The sole finest is a MS67+, which is located in the Current Finest #1 Halfdome set. This set belongs to a client of Laura Sperber, Legend Numismatics. A high demanded is created for this coin due to being a one-year type required for high end type sets as well as the 32-piece set.

In the Heritage Bass sale, the cataloger described the design of the coin as: The Wire Rim 1907 Indian eagle represents the first mass-produced coin-form representation of Saint-Gaudens' gold ten-dollar designs and employs the softly detailed but bold, high-relief models used to prepare initial trial strikes that were sent to Mint officials and President Roosevelt for approval. The Wire Rim issue was struck in late August, well after stacking problems were identified with the patterns and a decision was made to reduce the design's relief. Saint-Gaudens' Wire Rim design brought the motifs and legends of the artwork directly to the edge of the planchet, thereby reflecting the practices and appearance of ancient Greek coinage and removing all element of "clutter" in the design. Later variants saw a rim added to the dies, followed by a complete reworking of the motifs into a lower relief that would strike well and stack properly.

The mintage was described as: The coinage of 500 Wire Rim tens in August and another 42 later in the year was not for the purpose of testing the design, as supposed by this coin's classification as a pattern for generations, but was instead apparently in response to a request from Roosevelt in a July 29, 1907 letter to Treasury Secretary Cortelyou: "As for the high relief coins, have several hundred struck and allow the collectors of the country to obtain specimens as you suggested, none to be issued until the new issue is out. They should be preserved as the work of a great American artist." The Wire Rim tens were distributed to favored collectors, dealers, Congressmen, Treasury Department officials, and select museums. Quantities were acquired by prominent dealers Thomas Elder and Henry Chapman, who sold them to their buyers over the course of several years. By 1915, 70 pieces remained in government possession as unsold, and these were melted, leaving a net mintage of 472, coins. The finest surviving of these is among the most sought-after ten-dollar gold coins known today.

This new Bass coins replaces a Hansen choice GEM PCGS MS63. This coin from the Poulos Family Collection was last sold in a Heritage 2019 ANA World's Fair of Money US Coins Signature Auction realizing $39,600. The Bass coin is valued at $200,000, so a significant increase in value. Although, the coin replaces a much lower grade coin, it is not a PCGS condition census Top Five. The coin just misses the top 10 with a POP of 20/10. Heritage describes the coin as: This piece displays a bold strike and luminous, glistening wheat-gold surfaces with exceptional preservation. A loupe fails to reveal notable abrasions, and the coin displays eye appeal that fully upholds its lofty numeric grade. Collectors will be hard-pressed to locate a visually superior coin in MS66, and finer examples of this coveted issue are decidedly rare and inaccessible for most collectors.

Provenance: Acquired for the Bass Core Collection by David Calhoun of the Harry W. Bass, Jr. Foundation (2000; Harry Bass Core Collection #1031; Harry W. Bass, Jr. Core Collection, Part I / US Coins Signature Auction (Heritage, 9/2022), lot 11068, realized $192,000, D.L. Hansen Collection.

1907 Indian Eagle, MS66, Wire Edge
    PCGS POP 20/10, CAC Approved
    Certification #46093099, PCGS #8850
    PCGS Price Guide $200,000 / Realized $192,000
    Ex: Bass Core Collection

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2022 12:16PM

Historic Harry W. Bass Jr. Core Collection Part I - US Coins Signature Auction (8 of 8)

1821 Half Eagle Soars to $4.6 Million, Leading First Bass Collection Auction to $20.5 Million at Heritage Auctions - Heritage Press Release (September 30, 2022)

I must repeat this press release from the first post a couple weeks ago: A magnificent 1821 half eagle rode a burst of furiously competitive bidding all the way to $4.62 million, leading one of the finest collections of U.S. gold coins and related patterns ever assembled to $20,459,645 in Heritage Auctions' Harry W. Bass Jr. Core Collection Part I US Coins Signature® Auction - Long Beach Sept. 29. The Hansen Team missed out on purchasing the 1821 Half Eagle, but the sale for the Hansen Team, I would consider a success. They were successful in purchasing eight coins realizing $2,419,200.

The best Hansen purchase was the unique 1854 G$1 Type 1, PR65DCAM, CAC. Heritage highlighted this coin as a new record: An 1854 Gold Dollar, PR65 Deep Cameo: $720,000 (previous record: $68,750) The Hansen runner-up coin also set a record auction price: An 1833 Quarter Eagle, PR63 Cameo: $408,000 (previous record: $50,600)

Heritage has announced: The next installment of the Harry W. Bass Jr. Collection will be offered Jan. 4-9 through Heritage Auctions at the FUN US Coins Signature Auction. This will be Part II of what I understand to be four parts. This auction is planned to offer 111 coins with 20 feature coins. One of the big boys in this sale will be the 1825/4/1 half eagle PCGS PR62 proof valued at more than a couple million dollars. The first sale produced three coins realizing million dollars plus. Anyone want to guess how many will be produced from Part II of the sale? This will be a great sale to start the New Year.

Type 1, Capped Bust, Large Bust Half Eagles (1807 – 1812)

In the last post, we started the discuss on a subset of half eagles with the 1810 Half Eagle, Large Date, Small 5 specimen. Today, we will complete that discussion with a new sole finest 1811 Half Eagle. The 1811 increases the number of sole finest in the eleven coin subset to three with one other as tied for finest.

Also as can be seen, there are three coins outside the PCGS CC Top Five, the 1807 Bust Left, POP 28/8, the 1810 Small Date, Tall 5, POP 17/48, and 1811 Tall 5, and POP 13/8. While there is room for improvement, there is not much. This little subset would make a great little specialty set. I hope at some point in the future, PCGS will budget time to do a facelift to the US Issues Registry sets. The opportunity is abundant to correct errors and add sets that would be appealing to US Issue collectors.

1811 Half Eagle, Small 5, MS65+, Ex: Mitkoff /Bass

Sole Finest 1811 Half Eagle Representative

David Akers made comments this coin: Although just slightly more common overall than the 1811 Tall 5, the auction data clearly shows that the 1811 Small 5 is much more common in uncirculated condition having appeared 36 times in mint state in my 337 catalogue survey compared to only 17 times for the Large 5. Each variety of the 1811 is more rare than the 1807, 1809/8, 1810 Large Date, Large 5 and 1812 and despite being more often available than the Large 5 variety, choice uncirculated examples of the 1811 Small 5 are harder to locate than either the mintage or most cataloguers would lead one to believe.

Basically, Heritage describes the 1811 as a fairly simple coin with this one in high grade. They write: The 1811 half eagle is a fairly straightforward issue as far as die variety attribution is concerned. The two marriages for the year share a single obverse and are readily distinguished by the size of the 5 in the denomination. One has a Tall 5 (BD-1) that brushes the lower denticles, and the other has a Small 5 (BD-2) about evenly centered between the rim and lowest fletching. Both BD-1 and BD-2 are relatively collectible for early half eagles. John Dannreuther estimates in Early U.S. Gold Coin Varieties that 175 to 250 of the former and 225 to 300 of the latter survive, making this BD-2 variety the slightly more accessible of the two.

Although the accessibility to this coin is very good, there are other factors to consider. I think the Heritage cataloger describes it the best: That perceived degree of availability falls by the wayside when one evaluates an example in this unparalleled state of preservation. The Harry W. Bass, Jr. Core Collection representative in MS65+ condition is the sole finest 1811 Small 5 half eagle at PCGS, followed by seven submissions in MS64+. NGC reports four Gem grading events, although they are not differentiated by variety. We offered one of them as part of our January 2021 FUN Signature sale, lot 4090, where it realized $66,000 -- an auction record we suspect will be broken when this finest-certified example cross the block. This new POP 1/0 coins is not replacing a slug. Hansen existing coin and new duplicate is 1811 “Small 5” MS64+, CAC Approved, PCGS POP 7/0. I featured the coin on August 4, 2020. I am guessing the coin will remain as a duplicate in the Hansen second set. From my original notes, I believe Hansen still has his original Hansen pedigreed coin graded MS63+ that dates back to the 2016 timeframe. With the two coins that he had, why did he purchase this coin? Heritage describes an extraordinary opportunity in the following description.

This spectacular survivor presents thick mint frost over smooth medium yellow-gold surfaces. Liberty's curls and the eagle's shield and feathers are sharp, with that sharpness extending out to the peripheral regions. Magnification reveals trivial ticks that are remarkably minor for such an early half eagle. An extraordinary opportunity. This may have been an opportunity that Mr. Hansen could not pass up.

The Bass Part 1 sale updates has come to an end. FOR NOW! Stay turn to your local channel because I have a feeling this may not be the last Bass coin that the Hansen Team will catch. We could see the team heading to Florida in January for another fishing trip.

Provenance: William A. Mitkoff (6/6/1975); Harry Bass Core Collection #3122; Harry W. Bass, Jr. Core Collection, Part I / US Coins Signature Auction (Heritage, 9/2022), lot 11048, realized $151,200, D.L. Hansen Collection.

1811 Half Eagle, Small 5, MS65+
    PCGS POP 1/0, Sole Finest BD-2
    Certification #46092680, PCGS #507599
    PCGS Price Guide Unknown / Realized $151,200
    Ex: Mitkoff / Bass Core Collection

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 28, 2022 7:34PM

I will note here that I believe the 1812 coin has another registry error. The registry indicates there is one finer PCGS coin than the Hansen MS65+. I believe that to be incorrect.

The Population Report shows MS-65+ as the top for G$5 1812,
    https://www.pcgs.com/pop/detail/capped-bust-5-1807-1834/59
    but the CoinFacts page shows a MS-66+.
    The Cert Verification shows the MS-66+ comes from the Pogue sale in 2016:
    https://www.pcgs.com/cert/31914381

So I think this means the database error is in the Population Report page, while the Registry is working correctly.

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yosclimber said:

I will note here that I believe the 1812 coin has another registry error. The registry indicates there is one finer PCGS coin than the Hansen MS65+. I believe that to be incorrect.

The Population Report shows MS-65+ as the top for G$5 1812,
    https://www.pcgs.com/pop/detail/capped-bust-5-1807-1834/59
    but the CoinFacts page shows a MS-66+.
    The Cert Verification shows the MS-66+ comes from the Pogue sale in 2016:
    https://www.pcgs.com/cert/31914381

So I think this means the database error is in the Population Report page, while the Registry is working correctly.

Interesting. When I go to the pcgs# 8112 page for the 1812 $5 it does not show the die variety pcgs# 507601 (1812 $5 BD-1, Wide 5D).
    But when I go to the pcgs# 507601 page, then it does show the pcgs# 8112 as the major variety (1812 $5).
    Appears like a linking problem.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options

Thanks Clint and lilolme.

I agree with you guys. First, let me say I apologized for taking the PCGS POP Report, ConFacts, and Registry as face value without investigation. I knew better, but I have not featured the 1812 Eagle before. This is the actual first time of any research the coin. As an end result, you are both right, but the issue is bigger than either of you have stated. From multiple sources, including reference publications, auction history, online info, PCGS POP Report, CoinFacts, and Registry, I have concluded there is no accurate listing of the top coins for this date, so I created one. I am not convinced my list is 100% correct, because I have a few more questions myself. This is what I know now as of now:

Currin’s Working List of TOP Five 1812 Half Eagles

1 - Hanks / Pogue Specimen – MS66+ PCGS, BD-1 Wide 5D, Cert #31914381, PCGS #507601, (POP 1/0, Overall POP 1/0) Sole Finest.
    2 - Bass (HBCC # 3124) Specimen – MS66 PCGS, BD-1 Wide 5D (Double Struck Error), Cert #46092682, PCGS #E507601, (POP 1/0 for Error, Overall POP 1/1).
    T3 - Hansen Specimen – MS65+ PCGS, Unattributed BD1, Wide 5D, Cert #37292123, PCGS #8112, (POP 1/0 for Base Coin, Overall POP 3/2).
    T3 - Eliasberg / Pogue Specimen - MS65+ PCGS, BD-2 Closed 5D, Cert #31914382, PCGS #507602, (POP 1/0, Overall POP 3/2) Sole Finest Closed 5D variety.
    T3 – Unknown MS65+ Specimen - MS65+ PCGS, BD1, Wide 5D, Cert Unknown, #507601. (POP 1/1, Overall POP 3/2) Note: Listed in CoinFacts only

I found four PCGS numbers for the top five 1812 half eagles:

8112 – Base,
    507601 – BD-1 (Two specimens on the list)
    507602 – BD2
    E507601 – BD-1 Error

Unfortunately, they are not properly linked in the PCGS references. At this point, I believe the Hansen 1812 is a PCGS POP 3/2, not the 1/1 as shown in the registry. These PCGS reports are full of errors, so must be careful using them. I was careless. The remaining GEMs are eight MS65 NGC and five MS65 PCGS. Thanks again.

• Options

@Currin
    I will try a notification to the PC mod and see if they can pass it along to the appropriate person/group.

@PCGS_Moderator Could you pass the information in the prior 3 posts to whom it may concern. Thanks

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    edited November 4, 2022 1:56PM

Heritage 2022 Long Beach Expo US Coins Signature Auction (Part 1 of 2)

The event was part of an extraordinary week of Heritage Long Beach Expo auctions. The Harry W. Bass Jr. Core Collection Part I U.S. Coins Signature Auction reached $20,459,645, then the Long Beach Expo U.S. Currency Signature Auction — Long Beach brought $10,682,19. Last but not least, the second Long Beach Expo U.S. Coins Signature Auction finished at $17,875,326, boosting the three events to $49,017,169, setting a new all-time record for any Long Beach Expo numismatic auction total. - Coin Update (affiliated with Whitman Publishing, LLC.), October 13, 2022

“This event not only featured a wide range of exceptional coins, but also celebrated the collectors themselves, whose knowledge and passion drove their years of assembling these extraordinary collections,” says Todd Imhof, executive vice president at Heritage Auctions. “The fact that the magnificent 1875 $10 Liberty topped $1 million only underscores Heritage’s position as the premier global destination for the most serious numismatic collectors.” The sale may be remembered for another record shattering million-coin sale. An 1875 Liberty Eagle graded AU-53 by Professional Coin Grading Service drew a record winning bid of $1.02 million to lead Heritage Auctions’ Long Beach Expo U.S. Coins Signature Auction to $17,875,326 during October 6-9, 2022. This coin is in an OGH with a seven-digit certification number.

This coin was very much desired by Dell Loy Hansen, but he doesn’t always win. In a recent blog on David Lawrence website, John Brush described this lot as: One of these incredible opportunities came up 2 weeks ago when an 1875 $10 came to auction. It took us 3 years to acquire the AU50 that resides in the collection now! There are only 2 finer examples of this issue, and one of the coins (a PCGS AU53) is the one that came to auction. We saw this as an excellent opportunity for a minor upgrade. We paid $360k for the AU50 (That was a record then for a PCGS coin), so our thought process was that the AU53 might jump to $450k, and if for some reason, it jumped to $550k that would be insane. Well, somehow, we pushed the coin over 7 figures, and we lost. I hope that the winner truly understands what a special coin that was. Unfortunately, we don’t get the opportunity to see what the AU50 is worth now, but I’ll always prefer that coin in the set just because of the story of how long it took us to acquire one. And it occurred at the last major auction at a show before the pandemic left us at home.

This Ex: James Carter AU53 from the Allan H. Goldman Collection is certainly a nice coin, but also is the current Hansen AU50. I personally think the $1M could be well spent in an upcoming Bass or Bender sales. I wonder if the winning bidder was the Tyrant. He too has an AU50 Ex: Simpson/Hall Specimen. We will have to wait and see where the coin turns up, if it does go public. It is currently in a user's private PCGS Set Registry Inventory.

There were other coins in the sale that would improve the Hansen Collection. Including the 1875 Eagle, I had identified 19 coins from the offering of 1523 lots. Of these 19, all were upgrades except for the 1890 Eagle PR64DCAM and a low graded 1863 proof eagle that Hansen passed on. The 1890 Proof Eagle is from the Northern Lights of Vermilion Collection. John Brush appears to have successful bided on three coins from this collection, with the 1890 Proof Eagle leading the way.

In the Coin Update press release, the collection was described as: Another collection with magnificent lots in the auction was the 92-lot Northern Lights of Vermilion Collection, which focused largely on high-grade U.S. gold, including Eagles, Double Eagles, and Half Eagles. Four lots brought six-figure results. Top lots from the collection included, but were not limited to:

A 1931 Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle, PCGS MS-65 — $144,000
    A 1931-D Double Eagle, PCGS MS-64 — $126,301.20
    A 1915-S Panama-Pacific $50, PCGS MS-64+ — $108,000
    An 1890 Eagle, PCGS PR-64DCAM – $108,000 — an auction record for this proof issue
    An 1867 Liberty Eagle, PCGS MS-62 – $99,000 — an auction record for this date and mintmark

At the end of the day, The Hansen Team purchased both eagles in bold above. I will feature the 1890 Proof today, and the 1867 MS62 in a couple days. You need to wait a little longer to see that coin.

1890 Eagle, PCGS PR-64DCAM, CAC, Ex: Northern Lights of Vermilion Collection

PCGS describes the Liberty Head $10 Gold, Proof (1859-1907) set as: The No Motto $10 gold pieces of 1859-65 and the With Motto pieces of 1866-1907 come together in this incredibly challenging and rewarding set of rarities. The highest mintage of any coin in the set is 120 pieces, so you know that you're in for some work (and some fun!) in the pursuit of completion. The recognized classic is the 1875, but there are other dates that are proving to be just as rare in the Proof format. Let’s start a set! John Brush earlier stated his desire to acquire the 1875 Eagle in this sale but was unsuccessful. As a consolation prize, he was able to acquire the much-needed 1890 Proof Eagle.

The 1890 eagle proof reports a mintage of 63. CoinFacts Rarity and Survival Estimate is 30 for all grades, including five that are PR65 GEM or better. This GEM count may be low due to NGC population report has six graded PR65 and six more graded MS66. The PCGS population report does not come close to that number. The PCGS report has four GEM proofs.

Of those four 1890 PCGS GEM proof eagles, two are graded PCGS PR66DCAM. One of finest known is a PR66DCAM PCGS from the “The World’s Most Valuable Private Coin Collection, the Eagles of the Tyrant”, described as one of one of the finest. The other PCGS PR66DCAM is not known to the public. There is one PCGS PR65DCAM from the Flannagan Collection last appearing in the Long Beach Signature US Coin Auction on Jun 3, 2011. The fourth and last PCGS GEM is a PR65 that is also a mystery. PCGS CC#5 is the Hansen / Northern Lights, PR64DCAM, CAC.

A Stacks Bower catalogers wrote in 2017: This issue commences a run of more available Proof eagles that continues through the end of the Liberty Head series in 1907. However, in an absolute sense, all Proof Liberty Head eagles are rare... One of just 63 Proofs struck, survivors of which number no more than 30 to 35 specimens in all grades. This coin gets the Hansen Collection one step closer to completing a run of “more available Proof Eagles”. The Hansen run is currently from 1886 to 1907 with only one eagle missing, the 1896.

The Heritage cataloger description is short for this coin. The one paragraph states: With a stated mintage of just 63 proofs and only 25 to 30 individual coins believed known today, the proof 1890 ten dollar coins are rarities in any condition, much less with the quality and contrast seen on the present specimen. The bright yellow-gold color takes multiple forms, frosted to Deep Cameo standards over the devices and deeply mirrored through the fields; the fields also show a degree of orange-peel texture. A handful of faint hairlines combine to account for the grade, but the all-around visual appeal is impressive, as is only proper for what Walter Breen called "a coiner's caviar."

I will post one more update from the Heritage 2022 Long Beach Expo US Coins Signature Auction. The next feature coin is also an Eagle, but not a proof. As a hint, sometimes this coin is referred to be from the Post Civil War Reconstruction Era. I recently saw a thread by @semikeycollector asking to post one, so I will post Hansen’s recent eagle purchased at Long Beach. No more hints, just watch for the next posting.

Provenance: US Coins & Platinum Night FUN Signature Auction (Heritage, 1/2012 as NGC PR64 Ultra Cameo), lot #4989, realized $29,900; The Northern Lights of Vermilion Collection / Long Beach Expo US Coins Signature Auction (Heritage, 10/2022 as PCGS PR64 Deep Cameo), lot #3279, realized $108,000 (Auction Record), The D.L. Hansen Collection.

1890 Eagle, PCGS PR-64DCAM
    PCGS POP 1/4, CAC Approved
    Certification #38460695, PCGS #98830
    PCGS Price Guide $50,000 / $108,000
    Ex: Northern Lights of Vermilion Collection

• Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Currin said:
    THE BIGMO CIVIL WAR COLLECTION

Legend Rare Coin Auctions is proud to officially announce the BIGMO CIVIL WAR COLLECTION, a world-class, PCGS Hall of Fame Registry Set. Featuring many of the FINEST coins issued from 1861-1865 in all denominations from the cent to the double eagle, both Mint State and Proof. Part 1 will be offered in the May 2020 Regency Auction. It is an honor to handle this incredible collection! - Market Report, Legend Numismatics (March 2020)

Monty’s “BigMo Sale” brings back fond memories. Doug Winter (December 10, 2020) wrote: Formed by a Nevada specialized collector over the last decade or so, the Big Mo set of Civil War coinage was likely the single finest set of these issues ever assembled. In 2020, I believe this was a true statement by Mr. Winter, but almost two years later, that statement could be easily challenged. The Civil War Collection was dispense over two public auctions that Mr. Winter describes: The non-gold (and certain gold coins) was sold a few months ago and the remaining coins, all gold, were recently auctioned by Legend in their 12/3 Las Vegas sale. The Hansen Collection acquired a considerable number or both gold and non-gold coins. The gold was a very nicely assemble over a long period of time described as more than a decade. Mr. Winter described his experience with the collections as: I am quite familiar with this collection as I sold the collector a number of the coins and also competed against him in various auctions over the years. There were a number of Condition Census pieces and even a few finest-knowns. Each coin was graded by PCGS and a number were stickered by CAC.

In addition to the coins acquired from Doug Winter, I think BigMo acquired a large number of coins from Legend Numismatics and Legend Rare Coin Auctions. In a Legend March 2, 2020, press release: Company founder Laura Sperber picked up the collection personally and could not be more excited to offer this once in a lifetime collection to the collecting public. She had the following to say: “The BigMo Collection is truly one of the greatest individual collections I have ever seen assembled in my experience in this industry. The set is fully deserving of its Hall of Fame status and is the type of set most collectors could only dream of completing. I cannot wait to start showcasing this collection around the country and am ecstatic that Legend Rare Coin Auctions was offered the opportunity to bring this collection to market.”

In the Press Release for Part 1 Sale, Legend listed Specific Highlights from the BigMo Collection include:

10C 1863-S PCGS MS65+ CAC. Pop 1 (Purchase for Hansen Collection)
    10C 1864-S PCGS MS66 CAC. Pop 1
    25C 1865 PCGS PR67+ DCAM CAC. Pop 1
    50C 1862-S PCGS MS66 CAC. Pop 1 (Purchase for Hansen Collection)
    50C 1865 PCGS PR67+ DCAM CAC. Pop 1
    $1 1861 PCGS PR66 CAC. Pop 1
    $1 1862 PCGS PR66+ CAC. Pop 1 (Purchase for Hansen Collection)
    $1 1863 PCGS PR67+ CAM CAC. Pop 1
    $1 1864 PCGS MS65+ CAC. Pop 1
    G$1 1861 PCGS MS67+ CAC. Pop 1 (Purchase for Hansen Collection)
    G$1 1865 PCGS MS68+ CAC. Pop 1 (Purchase for Hansen Collection – 9/30/2022)

The Hansen Collection Improved with the ANA Auctions and now after he has picked up several of the BigMo Civil War highlights, he continuities his quest. As we saw a few weeks ago, The Bender Sale help put the Hansen Collection over the top for Seated Liberty Dimes, but you have to believe the BigMo 1863-S PCGS MS65+ CAC helped too. The Hansen Civil War set is a subset of this core 4560-piece US Mint Strike Issues Collection. The 110-piece set represents only approx. 2.5% of this core collection, although this is an important part. Described by PCGS as: This challenging set represents four years of our country's most trying times, the Civil War. It is a sampling of all denominations including some very tough silver issues: the 1861-S and 1864-S Seated quarters and most all the Seated dollars. Many of the gold issues are downright rare including the 1864-S Liberty Head $10. Completing this set will be an accomplishment as well also an historic representation of a difficult war that took place over 150 years ago.

Civil War Set with Gold, Circulation Strikes (1861-1865)

From a standpoint of popularity, there are not many collectors attempting to assemble this set. The Hansen Sets are #1 and #3 in the All-Time Finest with the BigMo Set sandwich in between. Mr. Hansen as continued to improve his Civil War set with upgrades. According to my count, approx. 50 coins has been upgraded since reaching #1 All-Time on 2/2/2020. If you are doing the numbers, that is about half the set! The key indicators in the 110-piece set are:

33 Coins PCGS POP 1/0, Sole Finest, highlighting the amazing 1863 G$1 PCGS MS68, CAC.
    26 Coins PCGS Tied for Finest Certified, highlighting the incredible 1861-D $5, PCGS MS63, POP 4/0.
    19 Coins PCGS Certified One Finer, highlighting the astonishing 1863 $3 PCGS MS68, POP 1/1.
    21 Coins PCGS Condition Conesus Top Five, highlighting the remarkable 1864-S PCGS AU55, POP 1/2

The impressive set is 90.0% PCGS Condition Census, with 53.6% Finest PCGS. The set still have eleven coins that are not condition census which makes prime candidates for upgrading. The lowest grade coin in the set is the 1864-S $10 PCGS XF45, POP 5/9. To be the biggest drag on the set, the coin still has a PCGS Price Guide Value of $150,000!

With only eleven upgrades to go to achieve 100% PCGS Top Five, the Hansen team continues to work hard on the Civil War Set. Not only did Legend provided the 1865 Gold Dollar, PCGS MS68+ that is featured today, but also two Civil War half eagles were purchased from Legend Auctions Regency 54. Laura Sperber and Legend has been a great source for Civil War coinage for the past couple years. Certainly, Mr. Hansen and his collection has capitalized on that opportunity.

1865 Gold Dollar, PCGS MS68+, CAC, Ex: BigMo” Collection (PCGS Set Registry)

WOW! This 1865 is another MONSTER gold dollar – Legend Auctions cataloger (July 2020)

David Akers made comments this coin: Definitely one of the rarer dates in the series after 1861, although not nearly as scarce as the higher mintage 1863. As one can tell from the average grade of AU-52 and the auction records, the 1865 generally is available in high grade. (The majority of specimens that I have seen have either been Unc. or proof.) The 1865 gold dollar was also restruck, probably sometime after 1872, Like the similar $3 gold piece (J-440), the date slants up to the right whereas on the original 1865, the date is low and level. Supposedly two examples of this restrike are known, although I am unaware of their present location.

PCGS CoinFacts gives the survival estimate to be 80 in all grades. Oddly enough, PCGS has not graded very many specimens below the AU50 grade and 21 GEM MS65 or better. There are only two PCGS coins graded finer than a MS67. They are the MS68 from the Bob R. Simpson Collection and the sole finest MS68+ from the BigMo Collection that is now located in the D.L. Hansen Collection.

The provenance of the coin before the BigMo Collection is not known to me. The Legend cataloger states: This coin has never traded via auction. Assuming this is correct, the coin may not have a history. If it does, please let me know. Legend provides a few interesting facts including some I gave you earlier: This 1865 is another MONSTER gold dollar, entirely equal to the 1864 and is the FINEST KNOWN example of this date; finer than the Bob Simpson coin (PCGS MS68) and the extensively pedigreed Duckor Collection coin (PCGS MS66). Of the original mintage of 3,725, there are perhaps 80 examples that survive, according to PCGS CoinFacts estimates.

As most cases, Legend described the coin as phenomenal: This incredibly preserved SUPERB GEM has an intense mint luster that glows brilliantly from all over, and the fields on the obverse shows light, semi-Prooflike reflection. Both sides show a heart-pounding original blend of reddish orange, flaming gold toning. There are no spots or serious moarks of any kind, indeed, other than a thin line under the first L in DOLLAR, there is nothing but mint created marks on the fields anywhere. This coin is an awesome study in die states. The obverse had been heavily polished prior to use, creating striations in the die. Shortly after, the dies clashed, imposing reverse elements on the obverse, and vice-versa, there is also an internal cud in first L in DOLLAR. Sharply struck up devices, which have a very thick frosty texture, which stand out against the fields, imparting a near-cameo like appearance on the obverse. The eye appeal is phenomenal!

In this sale just over two years ago, Legend placed the value of the coins as: The current Collectors Universe Value is $65,000. Maybe, as in the case of the MS68+ CAC 1864, it had last sold for $70,500 back in 2015. Both coins are more than worthy of strong, six figure prices! The coin was passed. We can assume that either the collector retained the coin, or it has been in Legend’s inventory or someone else’s. I am not 100% sure and I did not ask John Brush to confirm, but it appear the coin can into the Hansen Collection through David Lawrence Rare Coin. The value of this coin has exploded since the auction of 2020. PCGS currently values the coin at $135,000. That is more than 100% price increase in two years. Did he get a good price on the coin? I don’t know. It was certainly not a must have coin, because he passed on the coin in 2020, and he has a very nice MS67 POP 3/2 that will go into his duplicate set. The coin makes for an interesting upgrade.

Provenance: BigMo” Collection; The Regency Auction 39 (Legend, 7/2020), Lot #92, Passed; Purchased by David Lawrence Race Coins in private transaction (9/2022) for The D.L. Hansen Collection.

1865 Gold Dollar, PCGS MS68+
    PCGS POP 1/0, CAC Approved
    Certification #81299919, PCGS #7564
    PCGS Price Guide $135,000 / Realized Unknown
    Ex: BigMo” Collection (PCGS Set Registry)

I'm sorry but (IMHO) even at 68+ it's just not a good-looking coin.

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 851 ✭✭✭✭

@Aotearoa said:

@Currin said:

Legend Rare Coin Auctions is proud to officially announce the BIGMO CIVIL WAR COLLECTION, a world-class, PCGS Hall of Fame Registry Set. Featuring many of the FINEST coins issued from 1861-1865 in all denominations from the cent to the double eagle, both Mint State and Proof. Part 1 will be offered in the May 2020 Regency Auction. It is an honor to handle this incredible collection! - Market Report, Legend Numismatics (March 2020)

Monty’s “BigMo Sale” brings back fond memories. Doug Winter (December 10, 2020) wrote: Formed by a Nevada specialized collector over the last decade or so, the Big Mo set of Civil War coinage was likely the single finest set of these issues ever assembled. In 2020, I believe this was a true statement by Mr. Winter, but almost two years later, that statement could be easily challenged. The Civil War Collection was dispense over two public auctions that Mr. Winter describes: The non-gold (and certain gold coins) was sold a few months ago and the remaining coins, all gold, were recently auctioned by Legend in their 12/3 Las Vegas sale. The Hansen Collection acquired a considerable number or both gold and non-gold coins. The gold was a very nicely assemble over a long period of time described as more than a decade. Mr. Winter described his experience with the collections as: I am quite familiar with this collection as I sold the collector a number of the coins and also competed against him in various auctions over the years. There were a number of Condition Census pieces and even a few finest-knowns. Each coin was graded by PCGS and a number were stickered by CAC.

In addition to the coins acquired from Doug Winter, I think BigMo acquired a large number of coins from Legend Numismatics and Legend Rare Coin Auctions. In a Legend March 2, 2020, press release: Company founder Laura Sperber picked up the collection personally and could not be more excited to offer this once in a lifetime collection to the collecting public. She had the following to say: “The BigMo Collection is truly one of the greatest individual collections I have ever seen assembled in my experience in this industry. The set is fully deserving of its Hall of Fame status and is the type of set most collectors could only dream of completing. I cannot wait to start showcasing this collection around the country and am ecstatic that Legend Rare Coin Auctions was offered the opportunity to bring this collection to market.”

In the Press Release for Part 1 Sale, Legend listed Specific Highlights from the BigMo Collection include:

The Hansen Collection Improved with the ANA Auctions and now after he has picked up several of the BigMo Civil War highlights, he continuities his quest. As we saw a few weeks ago, The Bender Sale help put the Hansen Collection over the top for Seated Liberty Dimes, but you have to believe the BigMo 1863-S PCGS MS65+ CAC helped too. The Hansen Civil War set is a subset of this core 4560-piece US Mint Strike Issues Collection. The 110-piece set represents only approx. 2.5% of this core collection, although this is an important part. Described by PCGS as: This challenging set represents four years of our country's most trying times, the Civil War. It is a sampling of all denominations including some very tough silver issues: the 1861-S and 1864-S Seated quarters and most all the Seated dollars. Many of the gold issues are downright rare including the 1864-S Liberty Head $10. Completing this set will be an accomplishment as well also an historic representation of a difficult war that took place over 150 years ago.

From a standpoint of popularity, there are not many collectors attempting to assemble this set. The Hansen Sets are #1 and #3 in the All-Time Finest with the BigMo Set sandwich in between. Mr. Hansen as continued to improve his Civil War set with upgrades. According to my count, approx. 50 coins has been upgraded since reaching #1 All-Time on 2/2/2020. If you are doing the numbers, that is about half the set! The key indicators in the 110-piece set are:

33 Coins PCGS POP 1/0, Sole Finest, highlighting the amazing 1863 G$1 PCGS MS68, CAC.
    26 Coins PCGS Tied for Finest Certified, highlighting the incredible 1861-D $5, PCGS MS63, POP 4/0.
    19 Coins PCGS Certified One Finer, highlighting the astonishing 1863 $3 PCGS MS68, POP 1/1.
    21 Coins PCGS Condition Conesus Top Five, highlighting the remarkable 1864-S PCGS AU55, POP 1/2

The impressive set is 90.0% PCGS Condition Census, with 53.6% Finest PCGS. The set still have eleven coins that are not condition census which makes prime candidates for upgrading. The lowest grade coin in the set is the 1864-S $10 PCGS XF45, POP 5/9. To be the biggest drag on the set, the coin still has a PCGS Price Guide Value of $150,000!

With only eleven upgrades to go to achieve 100% PCGS Top Five, the Hansen team continues to work hard on the Civil War Set. Not only did Legend provided the 1865 Gold Dollar, PCGS MS68+ that is featured today, but also two Civil War half eagles were purchased from Legend Auctions Regency 54. Laura Sperber and Legend has been a great source for Civil War coinage for the past couple years. Certainly, Mr. Hansen and his collection has capitalized on that opportunity.

WOW! This 1865 is another MONSTER gold dollar – Legend Auctions cataloger (July 2020)

David Akers made comments this coin: Definitely one of the rarer dates in the series after 1861, although not nearly as scarce as the higher mintage 1863. As one can tell from the average grade of AU-52 and the auction records, the 1865 generally is available in high grade. (The majority of specimens that I have seen have either been Unc. or proof.) The 1865 gold dollar was also restruck, probably sometime after 1872, Like the similar $3 gold piece (J-440), the date slants up to the right whereas on the original 1865, the date is low and level. Supposedly two examples of this restrike are known, although I am unaware of their present location.

PCGS CoinFacts gives the survival estimate to be 80 in all grades. Oddly enough, PCGS has not graded very many specimens below the AU50 grade and 21 GEM MS65 or better. There are only two PCGS coins graded finer than a MS67. They are the MS68 from the Bob R. Simpson Collection and the sole finest MS68+ from the BigMo Collection that is now located in the D.L. Hansen Collection.

The provenance of the coin before the BigMo Collection is not known to me. The Legend cataloger states: This coin has never traded via auction. Assuming this is correct, the coin may not have a history. If it does, please let me know. Legend provides a few interesting facts including some I gave you earlier: This 1865 is another MONSTER gold dollar, entirely equal to the 1864 and is the FINEST KNOWN example of this date; finer than the Bob Simpson coin (PCGS MS68) and the extensively pedigreed Duckor Collection coin (PCGS MS66). Of the original mintage of 3,725, there are perhaps 80 examples that survive, according to PCGS CoinFacts estimates.

As most cases, Legend described the coin as phenomenal: This incredibly preserved SUPERB GEM has an intense mint luster that glows brilliantly from all over, and the fields on the obverse shows light, semi-Prooflike reflection. Both sides show a heart-pounding original blend of reddish orange, flaming gold toning. There are no spots or serious moarks of any kind, indeed, other than a thin line under the first L in DOLLAR, there is nothing but mint created marks on the fields anywhere. This coin is an awesome study in die states. The obverse had been heavily polished prior to use, creating striations in the die. Shortly after, the dies clashed, imposing reverse elements on the obverse, and vice-versa, there is also an internal cud in first L in DOLLAR. Sharply struck up devices, which have a very thick frosty texture, which stand out against the fields, imparting a near-cameo like appearance on the obverse. The eye appeal is phenomenal!

In this sale just over two years ago, Legend placed the value of the coins as: The current Collectors Universe Value is $65,000. Maybe, as in the case of the MS68+ CAC 1864, it had last sold for $70,500 back in 2015. Both coins are more than worthy of strong, six figure prices! The coin was passed. We can assume that either the collector retained the coin, or it has been in Legend’s inventory or someone else’s. I am not 100% sure and I did not ask John Brush to confirm, but it appear the coin can into the Hansen Collection through David Lawrence Rare Coin. The value of this coin has exploded since the auction of 2020. PCGS currently values the coin at $135,000. That is more than 100% price increase in two years. Did he get a good price on the coin? I don’t know. It was certainly not a must have coin, because he passed on the coin in 2020, and he has a very nice MS67 POP 3/2 that will go into his duplicate set. The coin makes for an interesting upgrade.

Provenance: BigMo” Collection; The Regency Auction 39 (Legend, 7/2020), Lot #92, Passed; Purchased by David Lawrence Race Coins in private transaction (9/2022) for The D.L. Hansen Collection.

I wouldn't kick her out of bed

• Options
    edited November 3, 2022 4:31PM

Heritage 2022 Long Beach Expo US Coins Signature Auction (Part 2 of 2)

This is the final posting on the Long Beach Expo event. A couple days ago, I featured the 1890 Eagle, PCGS PR-64DCAM from The Northern Lights of Vermilion Collection. This coin and the much-discussed 1875 Eagle were not the only highlights. Coin Update website described other specimens as: The event’s top lot (1875 Liberty Eagle) was one of 105 sold from the Allan H. Goldman Collection. A prominent New York real estate investor with a passion for both coins and American currency, Goldman also was a passionate collector. The lots in this auction mark the second installment of his collection offered through Heritage; Part I was presented during Heritage Auctions’ July Long Beach/Summer FUN Signature auction, in which these fresh-to-market coins generated exceptional results.

Also, one of our community members placed a magnificent set of Proof Seated Liberty Dollars in the sale that results in big numbers: Three lots from the Perfection Collection of Proof Seated Liberty dollars drew winning bids of $90,000 or more, including an 1863 Liberty Seated dollar graded PCGS PR-67+CAM and an 1866 With Motto dollar certified PCGS PR-67CAM that each drew a winning bid of $96,000, and an 1860 Liberty Seated dollar graded PCGS PR-67CAM that brought $90,000. The 1860 and 1866 With Motto dollars set new auction records for those issues. As previous reported, I had identified 19 coins from the offering of 1523 lots. Of these 19, John Brush and the Hansen Team was successful in winning four. They are shown in table below.

I believe at this time; Dell Loy Hansen is hooked on gold. Of the 19 coins, six coins were non-gold with none of them purchased. In a recent Legend Market Report, they stated: We normally do not make general public recommendations. BUT we think the timing is right: BUY BETTER GOLD COINS NOW. Yes, gold coins have been strong for the last 2 years. This is certainly what we are seeing as a pattern in Hansen purchases. He is buying “better gold coins”. He has a choice of series to buy, including, G$1, $2.5, $3, $5, $10, and $20 in Basic, Majority Varieties and Proofs. That translates to a wide-open gold market for US issued gold coins. The Hansen Eagle Collection is ripe for the improvement opportunities. We saw an Eagle proof addition in the last posting, today is an upgrade to the mint state eagle set.

The entire mint state Liberty Head Eagle set is 184 coins. The set is described by PCGS as: This long, long series stretches from the time when Abe Lincoln was less than 30 years old to the years when Teddy Roosevelt was in power. The set is filled with rarities, but there are no so-called "impossible" coins as are seen in many other series. The classic rarity is the famed 1875. This set involves three distinct types: the No Motto Covered Ear, the No Motto and the With Motto. The "Varieties Set" of this great series is not that different from the Basic Set. Yes, there are a few goodies to add to the Basic Set, but well over 95% of the work and fun are done before you get to the varieties.

In the PCGS Registry, The D.L. Hansen Collection is #1 All-Time and 100% complete. The last discussion on this set was back in April 2022 during a Fairmont Collection-Hendricks update. The Eagle set is creeping closer and closer to having a MS60 GPA with bonuses. As you can see above, the second set in the registry was part of the once famed Bob Simpson Collection assembled by Laura Sperber, Legend Numismatics which retired in May 2011. There are two other notable sets in the registry: The Ellen D set that also retired in 2011, and the Harry Bass that retired in 1999. These and other great sets provide opportunities for Mr. Hansen to build his collection during the past six years.

There are several masterpieces in Hansen’s set including 15-16 coins that I estimate to be six-figure eagles. I would consider the center-piece eagle as the 1839/8 $10 “Type OF 1838” PCGS MS66, Cert #05368072. This seven-figure coin has been in the Hansen Collection about 5-6 years dating back to an early purchase from Barry Stuppler. I must clear the water by the acknowledgement that the Hansen Collection of Liberty Head Eagles is not the finest set currently assembled. The Eagles of The Tyrant Collection is described as "far and away" the finest US Eagle Collection. In a Doug Winter blog, he indicated the set was assembled around 2003/2004. The set consist of both PCGS and NGC coins, so making a direct comparison with Hansen’s PCGS set is time consuming. It is very safe to say that the Tyrant Set has more specimens of best-known examples of US Eagles. Today’s feature coin is a PCGS MS62 sole finest specimen. In comparison, the Eagles of the Tyrant specimen is a PCGS MS61 specimen from #2 Bob Simpson set. In a Tyrant description, the coin is stated as: has a great pedigree, coming from the Hall and Simpson Collections. Therefore, Tyrant does not have all the top eagles.

This coin was produced two years after the end of the US Civil War. In some circles, the moment in time is referred to as Post Civil War Reconstruction Era. The era was the period after the American Civil War from 1865 to 1877, during which the United States struggled with the challenges of reintegrating the southern states which had seceded. All the southern US mints (Charlotte Mint in North Carolina; Dahlonega Mint in Georgia; New Orleans Mint in Louisiana) were closed in 1861. Two were closed permanently and the New Orleans did not reopen to 1879 after reconstruction. Let’s dig a little deeper in this coin.

1867 Liberty Head Eagle, PCGS MS62, Ex: Northern Lights of Vermilion Collection

Expert David Akers describes the coin as: The 1867 is considerably more rare than the 1866 and the difference in rarity is greater than the small difference in mintages might indicate. Actually, it compares favorably in both overall rarity and condition rarity to the 1864 and 1865. Several AU's are known but only the Wolfson coin was ever catalogued as uncirculated. However, it was described as having rubbing in the fields and so it may not have really been a mint state coin.

Now fast forward in the TPG era, the 1867 eagle reports a mintage of 3090. CoinFacts Rarity and Survival Estimate is 65 for all grades, with no specimens grading Choice GEM MS63 or better. NGC population reports shows only four graded mint state, three graded MS61 and a lone MS62. Similar, PCGS has five graded mint state: two MS60, two MS61, and the sole finest PCGS MS62. Several of these nine minted graded specimens could be resubmission. The top Five PCGS coins are:

1 - Hansen / Northern Lights Specimen, PCGS MS62 Cert #37807949
    2 – Simpson / Hall Specimen, PCGS MS61 Cert #29583060 Current in the Tyrant Collection.
    3 – 2016 ANA Specimen, PCGS MS61 Cert #25625301
    4 - Hansen Duplicate Specimen, PCGS MS60 Cert #35368161
    5 - Unknown Specimen, PCGS M60

In the Heritage 2022 Long Beach Expo US Coins Signature Auction, the cataloger adds some additional clarity to my research: In the case of the 1867 ten-dollar gold piece, only 3,090 coins were manufactured in circulation-strike format. That was down nearly 18% from the previous year, which coincided with the introduction of the motto IN GOD WE TRUST on the reverse. The 1867 eagle remains an underappreciated rarity despite its enticingly small mintage. Only 90 to 130 examples are believed to exist in circulated grades according to Dave Bowers' A Guidebook of Gold Eagle Coins (2017). There are another four to six pieces believed extant in Mint State. This is the finest among them. The PCGS Population Report shows two submissions in MS60, two more in MS61, and this sole finest representative in MS62, which, as far as we can tell, has not been offered publicly, at least not in this top-notch grade. NGC lists another single MS62 coin that has not been offered for sale at auction (again, as far as we can tell), and it may represent the same coin.

I mention earlier the period in our country called Post Civil War Reconstruction Era. Heritage expanded a little in the coin description: Despite the resolution of the Civil War in 1865, silver and gold remained unseen in the channels of commerce in the East through 1878. The larger gold denominations like the eagle and double eagle were mainly used for business transactions or for export, not regular day-to-day activity, and they continued to trade at a premium to paper currency, which dominated the economy.

As we walked through the rarity of this coin, I hope you got a feel for difficult of this eagle in mint condition. Also, The Hansen Collection already had a couple nice specimens. Previous to this purchase, the Hansen top coin was a PCGS MS60, POP 2/3. The coin that was in his duplicate set was a very nice AU58, POP 7/5. It appears Mr. Hansen desired a better specimen, and he popped a $100K bid on a coin that Heritage describes as: This top-graded 1867 Liberty eagle displays frosty luster around the borders and relief elements that illuminates practically fully struck devices. Alternating shades of lighter and darker orange-gold color each side. Luster is just a bit subdued in the open fields, where scattered marks are present, holding back the grade. Either way, it would be impossible to upgrade this Registry Set essential.

Provenance: The Northern Lights of Vermilion Collection / Long Beach Expo US Coins Signature Auction (Heritage, 10/2022 as PCGS PR64 Deep Cameo), lot #3253, realized $99,000 (Auction Record), The D.L. Hansen Collection.

1867 Liberty Head Eagle, PCGS MS62
    PCGS POP 1/0, Sole Finest at PCGS
    Certification #37807949, PCGS #8651
    PCGS Price Guide $65,000 / $99,000
    Ex: Northern Lights of Vermilion Collection

• Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aotearoa said:

@Currin said:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I bet the coin outstanding in hand!

• Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ironmanl63 said:

@Aotearoa said:

@Currin said:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I bet the coin outstanding in hand!

I was referring to the series. Again, just my opinion but the design is uninspired, the fields are of too much acreage and the strike is typically weak. The Barber dime of gold coins…

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options

Steven L. Contursi - Rare Coin Wholesalers (4 of 4)

The final Rare Coin update is a true expansion coin in the early Seated Liberty Half Dime Proof set. The early sets are extreme difficult to assemble with proof finish. For example, the Liberty Seated Half Dimes, Proof (1837-1857) set is described as: This extremely challenging 22-coin date set is filled with rarities and distinctive type coins. The 1837 No Stars is a classic that many consider to be an artistic masterpiece as well as a numismatic treasure. Additional types in this series are the With Drapery and Arrows at Date pieces. The Proofs struck in 1854 and later are more readily available but are still considered to be quite rare.

A couple points to make on the D.L. Hansen Collection. First, the 1837 artistic masterpiece is certainly a show coin. The Ex: Pittman / Kaufman specimen is approved for the CAC sticker. PCGS graded PR66 specimen has been described as "a coin with a beautiful blue, red, and gold patina". The Hansen Team purchased the coin in 2017 from The D. Brent Pogue Collection, Part V sale. There is only one coin finer than the Hansen POP 1/1 coin which is the Eugene H. Gardner PR67 specimen. This coin makes for a very nice start to the 22-piece set.

Second, the PCGS proof set required three No Drapery half dime coins. These coins continue with the theme of set difficultly. Starting with the 1840 No Drapery PR65 Proof, the first ND Hansen purchased of this type. The 1840 specimen was acquired in early 2017 in a private transaction from Aspen Park. By a CoinFact image, the coin is also from the Phil Kaufman Collection. It was last sold in a Heritage 2014 Auction from the Greensboro Collection. The Hansen coin is one of two finest specimens, with only five or six examples are known, including three other Gems. The second finest specimen is from the John Jay Pittman Collection. With the recent purchase of the 1839 from Rare Coins Wholesalers, the Hansen set now have two of the three No Drapery proof half dimes.

As can be seen, there is only six PCGS specimens certified for all No Drapery Proofs. The missing No Drapery coin in the Hasen Collection is the 1838. There may be three distinct specimens known. Along with the 1838 No Drapery, the22-piece set is missing three other coins. The four missing coins are listed below:

1838 No Drapery - Three Distinct Specimens Known, Finest Pittman PR67 PCGS
    1840 - Possible 4 known, Finest PR65 PCGS
    1851 - Possible 2-3 Known, None Currently PCGS Certified
    1852 - Est. 5-10 known, Finest Benson Collection PR66 PCGS

The 1851 coin may be the most questionable of the four. I do think obtaining a PCGS gradable specimen is possible. In the 35 years of PCGS grading, there has been one in a PCGS holder. The John Jay Pittman specimen was at one time certified PR64 PCGS. The Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr. PR66 may be a PCGS certifiable candidate, but has not been crossed. We will have to watch and see if the Hansen Team will be able to place a 1851 specimen in this set at some point in the future.

The Hansen early proof sets in both silver and gold are the most interesting to watch as this Collection continues down a path of growth. They are very challenging, but at the same time most awarding. Everyone understands and accepts that completing all these sets are truly impossible. There is a good chance we may see one or two of these difficult sets completed, and the Seated Liberty half dimes may be one of the sets. J.J. Pittman’s half dime proof set was 86.36% (Gardner or Kaufman better??) and the Hansen set is 81.82% with opportunity to get better. It will fun to watch.

1839 No Drapery Half Dimes, PR64

Only Five Proofs Known

Eugene H. Gardner was a Hall of Fame Collector. In a PCGS Bio, his collection was described as: Eugene Gardner was an aggressive collector of U.S. silver coins, with a particular emphasis on the Seated Liberty series. Heritage sold his collection of more than 3,000 coins in four separate auctions in 2014 and 2015, setting many records along the way. The total prices realized for his four auction was an astounding $52.8 million. Most of Gene’s coins were among the finest of their type and many were, indeed, the very best. He was a student of the different series he collected and, in an unusual move, Heritage integrated his personal notes into the catalog description of each coin. Sadly, Gene passed away on July 16, 2016, but not before he was able to oversee the orderly disposal of his beloved coins. He will be long remembered for his eye for quality, his willingness to “stretch” for the right coins, for his accomplishments as a collector, and, of course, for the incredible collection he built.

As mentioned in his bio, the emphases Mr. Gardner’s passion was placed on his Seated Liberty series. Heritage wrote in a 2015 description: An extreme rarity in proof format and among the most important coins in the entire Gardner Collection, this 1839 No Drapery half dime is one of only a handful of survivors

Roster of 1839 No Drapery Half Dimes (Heritage 2015)

1 - Gardner Specimen, PR65 Cameo PCGS. Rarities Night (Stack's Bowers, 11/2012), lot 3068, realized $55,813; The Eugene H. Gardner Collection III US Coins Signature Auction (Heritage 5/2015), lot 98189, realized $39,950.

2 - Kaufman / Greenboro Specimen, PR65 Cameo NGC. The Phil Kaufman coin, which appears different from any others here. It may be the April 1964 Stack's piece, lot 1011, although the quality of the plate precludes a definite match. Phil Kaufman Collection (Heritage, 4/2008), lot 2373; Greensboro Collection Part VI / New York Signature (Heritage, 2/2014), lot 5076, realized $32,900; E.B. Strickland Collection / FUN US Coins Signature Auction (Heritage 1/2018), lot 4798, lot $24,000.

3 - Menjo / Pittman / Richmond Specimen, PR65 NGC. Adolphe Menjou Sale (Numismatic Gallery, 6/1950), lot 108; John Jay Pittman (David Akers, 10/1997), lot 457, realized $12,100; Long Beach Connoisseur Collection (Bowers and Merena, 8/1999), lot 84, realized $29,900; Richmond Collection (David Lawrence, 3/2005), lot 1081, realized $33,500 .

4 - Mory Specimen, PR64 NGC. Paul S. Mory, Sr. Collection (Bowers and Merena, 6/2000), lot 423, realized $24,150; Ira and Larry Goldberg (5/2001), lot 472, realized $24,150. (Note: The Bowers and Merena cataloger states that this specimen resided for over a century in a collection formed by an attorney in Vicksburg, Mississippi, in the late 1800s).

5. - Lohr Specimen, Brilliant Proof. Major Lenox R. Lohr Collection (Stack's, 10/1956), lot 254; Stack's (1/1991), lot 40; Stack's (10/2002), lot 1155.

?? - Hansen Specimen, PR64 PCGS. Purchase in Private Transaction from Rare Coin Wholesalers, D.L. Hansen Collection. (Possible same as #4 or #5 above).

Additional appearances (Heritage 2015):
    A. David Bullowa, May 1952.
    B. Lester Merkin (4/1966), lot 71.
    C. 1971 ANA (Stack's), lot 617.

In summary, there are only two 1839 graded by PCGS, the Gardner PR65 Cameo specimen and Hansen's PR64. On the other side of the fence, NGC have three certified, two PR65 and one PR64. This could lead to a conclusion the Hansen coin is the #4 or #5 coin in the roster. If the conclusion is that there are only five known specimens, then the Lohr coin must be in one of the third-party holders. It could be the Hansen coin, but even with this mathematical conclusion, the theory cannot be with certain without images for comparison. When adding the early appearances, there may be other possibilities for the provenance of the Hansen coin. I am still lending toward the coin is #4 or #5 on the above roster until I can get an image to confirm. I hope at some point in the near future I can get an image from the Hansen Team so this coin can be properly identified.

Provenance: Early Pedigree TBD; Purchase in Private Transaction from Rare Coin Wholesalers, D.L. Hansen Collection.

1839 No Drapery Half Dimes, PR64
    PCGS POP 1/1, Only Five Proofs Known
    Certification #45687875, PCGS #4409
    PCGS Price Guide $37,500 / Realized Unknown
    Ex: TBD

NO IMAGE AVAILABLE

• Options
    edited November 15, 2022 3:54PM

John Brush – David Lawrence Rare Coins (2 of 3)

Without doubt, David Lawrence Rare Coins is the primary source for Dell Loy Hansen Collection. Next month, David Lawrence Rare Coins and Dell Loy Hansen will celebrate the five-year anniversary of their partnership. This includes a business partnership in DLRC and the management of the vast Hansen Core Collection. This partnership has resulted in building one of the finest US Coin Collections to be assembled in the third-party grading era, including the last 35 years.

We have discussed the change in goals that was made by Mr. Hansen a few years ago. Several months ago, I quoted Mr. Hansen from interview from a segment named “A Behind-the-Scenes Look at the Hansen Collection”. The interview was part of the 2022 Newman Numismatic Portal Symposium, and I noted Mr. Hansen statement: Probably in ‘19, I made the hard decision that I am really going to go for best in grade.. really going to start to scrutinize the top coins for each date and grade.. asserted effort to buy those coins and upgrade those coins. Did having a partner like John Brush and the DLRC Team play into that decision. I think they did.

If you follow these updates and postings, you know how good the core collection has become in recent years. The US Entire Mint State Issues 1793 – Present Collection currently is 69 sets requiring 4558 coins. The core collection is 77.2% PCGS Condition Census Top Five. This includes 445 (9.8%) coins that are PCGS sole finest. Including the coins tied for finest at PCGS, the count increases (42.8%) to 1505 coins. The work required to locate, purchase, update, etc. with this number of coins is gigantic. After five years of hard work, it appears the DLRC Team is still up to the task. Since the ANA Auctions a couple months ago, I have tracked eight coins purchased from DLRC. There may be many more, but these are from the core sets.

Being DLRC and D.L. Hansen are partners in a private company, we have no knowledge in the business transactions that take place. As with all private transitions, we are left with the only way we can analyzed the sales are with PCGS Price Guide Values. So, looking at eight coins that I have identified purchased in September and October timeframe, value range is from $17,500 to $90,000. The total PCGS value is $440,000. The result is average per coin of approx. $55,000.

I did not list the modern coins in the table. Many of the modern updates and additions are provided by the DLRC Team. These updates are very time consuming and are not cost efficient. Mr. Hansen has stated on several occasions that his goal is to keep the collection up to date with new releases. This effort goes unnoticed in a collection of this value and size. It requires a lot of work under the surface.

With the DLRC Team working on this collection every day for the past five years, it has resulted in basically building the collection one coin at a time. As stated before, it is a daily churn. I would like to hear the new numbers in the collection. Several years ago, it was public communicated the collection comprised 12,000 coins. My guess would be 15,000 today. Also, keep in mind, David Lawrence Rare Coins have exclusive rights to the sale the Hansen duplicates. That is a whole another topic for another day.

1849-D One Dollar Gold, MS65, Ex: Tom Bender Collection

The Sole Finest 1849-D G$1 at PCGS (8/2021)

In Rarities Night Stacks Bowers, August 2021 ANA Auction, the cataloger characterized the coin as the Sole Finest. A little have changed in the past 15 months. Doug Winter best describes the coin as: The 1849-D is the most common gold dollar struck at the Dahlonega Mint. Like most first-year-of-issue coins, a number were saved as souvenirs. As a result, it is also the most available Dahlonega gold dollar in high grades. The 1849-D gold dollar is most often seen in Extremely Fine and the lower About Uncirculated grades. It becomes moderately scarce in the higher About Uncirculated grades. It is rare in Mint State but it is much more readily available in Uncirculated than any other Dahlonega gold dollar. The 1849-D is very rare in Mint State-62 and it is extremely rare in accurately graded Mint State-63. In 2021, there was only one PCGS graded GEM. The PCGS POP report now show three, but I believe to be incorrect.

By some accounts, there is one extremely high graded 1849-D One Dollar Gold specimen. That coin is best described by David Hall: There is an uncertified monster Gem example that Doug Winter saw years ago. Doug feels the coin would grade an incredible MS67. We should probably put this coin in the condition census as an "Estimate grade" MS67 or MS66. Mr. Winter expands the account by stating: At the 2001 American Numismatic Association convention held in Atlanta, an absolutely remarkable 1849-D was shown to me by an older gentleman. According to him, the coin had been in his family for at least seventy-five years. This coin, which I graded Mint State-66 to Mint State-67, had superb multi-hued coloration and was housed in an old manila envelope on which was hand written “1849-D Dollar, Brilliant Uncirculated Gem, $35.00.” I showed the coin to another dealer who was at my table and he agreed that it was the single most attractive Dahlonega gold coin that either of us had ever seen. I hope PCGS will one day have the opportunity to grade this coin. Until that time, this coin will remain a mystery.

In today’s census reports, there are four GEMs graded between the two major TPG companies. PCGS reports three MS65 and three just short of GEM at MS64. There is only one NGC graded MS65 and nine MS64. Including the monster mystery coin, I can only account for two other GEMs. As recent as last year, Stacks and Bowers described the rarity as: Extremely popular for mintmarked type purposes, the 1849-D is the premier gold dollar from the Dahlonega Mint. Just 21,588 examples were struck during this gold-rush year, and only about 300 of which survive for today's collectors. The vast majority of these show signs of handling and surface impairment, leaving only 35 or so survivors in all Mint State grades, most of which are in grades of MS-63 and lower. A certified MS-65 example like this jewel has never been sold at public auction, emphasizing the true significance of this offering for advanced Registry Set participants.

My List of Condition Top Five 1878 Quarter Eagle Proofs are the following:

1 - Georgia Collection Specimen - MS67 estimated grade -Reportedly seen by Doug Winter at the 2001 Atlanta ANA convention.

2 - Hansen Specimen – MS65 PCGS, Cert #46259614 - Rarities Night / ANA Auction, (Stacks Bowers 8/2021), Lot 4154, realized $78,000; The Tom Bender Collection / US Coins Signature Auction, (Heritage 8/2022 as PCGS Cert #41651797), lot 3808, realized $69,000; Purchase in Private Transaction from David Lawrence Rare Coins, D.L. Hansen Collection. (Note: Coin appears twice in PCGS Conesus as Cert #46259614 and #41651797. Both are active numbers)

3 - PCGS Private Set Registry Specimen – MS65 PCGS, Cert 04181163

4 - Unconfirmed Specimen – MS65 NGC, Cert #Unknown

5 - Twelve MS64 specimens (Three PCGS and Nine NGC)

As stated earlier, Stacks Bowers noted the coin was sole finest in August of 2021: This Gem is a monumental condition rarity from this historic and popular Southern gold issue. Sharply struck throughout, this beautiful example possesses strong luster and a semi-reflective finish. It is bathed in vivid golden-wheat patina with a natural planchet streak behind Liberty's hair that serves as a convenient pedigree marker. This MS-65 (PCGS) is one of the very finest known examples and ranks as the sole finest graded by PCGS. It represents the very pinnacle of preservation and simply cannot be improved upon. By the Bender sale, the coin had become a POP 2/0. Heritage cataloger stated: Lustrous sun-gold surfaces glisten when rotated in hand. The curls, stars, wreath, and legends all show razor-sharp design definition. A small planchet flaw behind Liberty's hair bun has no effect on the technical grade, and there are just a few tiny ticks near the 1 in the denomination. An incredible opportunity to obtain the finest 1849-D gold dollar on the Condition Census. Population: 2 in 65, 0 finer (6/22).

I personally believe the PCGS POP remains two in MS65 and none finer. In the five months since the Bender Sale, the Hansen/Bender coin has been resubmitted and given a new PCGS number. It appears to me, the old PCGS cert #41651797 was not properly retired. The coin replaces in the Hansen set a very nice PCGS MS63 POP 18/6, Cert #38196272 purchased in a private transaction from Rare Coin Wholesalers. When purchased in mid-2020, I would image this coin would have been a PCGS Top Five coin in the PCGS POP report. A two-half year life span in the Hansen Collection is not uncommon.

Provenance: Rarities Night / ANA Auction, (Stacks Bowers 8/2021), Lot 4154, realized $78,000; The Tom Bender Collection / US Coins Signature Auction, (Heritage 8/2022 as PCGS Cert #41651797), lot 3808, realized $69,000; Purchase in Private Transaction from David Lawrence Rare Coins, D.L. Hansen Collection.

1849-D One Dollar Gold, MS65
    PCGS POP 3/0
    Certification #46259614, PCGS #7507
    PCGS Price Guide $90,000 / Realized Unknown
    Ex: Tom Bender Collection

• Options
    gschwernkgschwernk Posts: 338 ✭✭✭✭✭

The prices for this sale were for the most part very strong. I wanted a 1795 and I thought the bids were too high and I dropped out of the bidding. I believe the Hansen purchases you list were good value.

• Options
    edited November 23, 2022 12:20PM

Winter 2022 Auctions (2 of 6) –The Harvey B. Jacobson, Jr. Collection / Stacks Bowers (2 of 3)

Draped Bust Eagles - Washington, Adams and Jefferson were the Presidents of the United States when these coins were struck, and they are the largest denomination issued until 1850. Both the Small Eagle and the Large Eagle types are part of this historic set. Rarities include all of the Small Eagle issues plus the 1798/7 9X4 Stars. In top condition, of course, all of the coins are classic rarities. Take the basic ten-coin set (challenging enough!) and add five more rarities to the set and you have a magnificent collection, indeed. You'll have a hard time finding the 1795 9 Leaves and the 1798/7 7X6 Stars, but the hunt is half the fun. These coins can get very pricey, but they are solid values that have stood the test of time. Beautiful and incredibly historic coins from the early days of America! – PCGS Set Registry

Finally, the hunt for the 1798/7 Capped Bust Right Eagle. BD-2, Stars 7x6 specimen is over. In fact, this is the last coin needed to complete the 230-piece entire circulating strike eagle core collection. It took Mr. Hansen and his team about six and half years to reach that accomplishment. It may not be the grade he would have desired, but the rarity, the coin speaks for itself. The table represent the complete core collection of eagles.

As you can see, the eagle collection has 15 PCGS sole finest specimens with 14 from the Liberty Head Set. Another 37 specimens are tied for finest that results in the complete 230-piece set being 22.6% PCGS finest. This is a little off pace than most of the other core sets. Maybe more importantly, the Hansen Collection of Eagles are slightly over 70% PCGS Top Five specimens. Still slightly off pace of the core collection which is amazingly a little over 80% PCGS Top Five. As many of you know, just because Hansen completes a set does not slowdown or hinders the upgrading. We can expect to see these numbers improving.

With the purchase of the 1798/7 Capped Bust Right Eagle. BD-2, Stars 7x6 specimen from the Jacobson Collection, the D.L. Hansen Collection now have a complete set of eagles, but just as importantly, this purchase reduces the Hansen countdown to ten. The difficulty is increase with each countdown coin added.

The Major Varieties Set is an expansion of the PCGS Basic Set. To complete, this set would require the 2821 basic coins plus an additional 439 Major Varieties Coins. With this addition, there are 10 remaining collectable coins in this quest. Two coins in The Major Varieties Set are not collectable, 1797 Half Eagle "Large Eagle, 15 Stars" and 1797 Half Eagle "Large Eagle, 16 Stars", so the completion of this set would be 99.94%. PCGS describes this set as: Every classic U.S. coin in Circulation Strike from 1792 through 1964, every date, every Mintmark, every major variety, this set is the ultimate challenge. A collection of this size could take decades to assemble in high grade.

Top 5
    1861 Double Eagle "Paquet" (2 Known)
    1804 Eagle "Plain 4 Proof" (3 Known)
    1849-C Gold Dollar "Open Wreath" (4 Known w/ one defective)
    1958 Small Cent "Doubled Die Obverse” (3 Known)
    1795 Large Cent "Jefferson, Lettered Edge" (5 Known w/ VF Finest Known)

Last 5
    1842 Half Dollar "Small Date, Rev of 1839" (Survival est. 10 w/ 1 Mint State)
    1820 Half Eagle "Curl Base 2, Sm Letters" (Survival est. 14 w/ 8 Mint State)
    1798 Quarter Eagle "Wide Date" (Survival est. 50 w/ 8 Mint State)
    1798 Dollar "Large Eagle, Knob 9, 4 Lines" (Survival est. 125 w/ 2 Mint State)
    1887/6 Three Cent CN (Survival est. 800 w/ 750 Mint State)

A quick plug for the three remaining Bass sales. There are a few additional gold coins on the list that will appear in a future Harry Bass sales. Therefore, Mr. Hansen will have the opportunity to trim this list down a little more.

1798/7 Capped Bust Right Eagle. BD-2, Stars 7x6, PCGS F-15, Ex: Sherman Specimen

Unique Obverse Star Arrangement, A Charming Choice Fine Example

What does it mean when something is said to be charming? By some definitions, the term is referenced to as extremely pleasing or delightful. I think for a well circulated fine specimen, I would agree the use of this term is correct. You saw the condition census for the collection is amazingly high with 70% of the coins being PCGS Top Five. The eagle collection has only five coins graded below AU53 starting with the amazing 1875 AU50 eagle from the Harvey B. Jacobson, Jr. Collection purchased by the Hansen Team in 2020. The other coin is the 1872CC AU50 that is an Ex: Hall / Simpson. There is a lonely 1864-S XF45 and then the current coin purchased, the 1798/7 Capped Bust Right Eagle. BD-2, Stars 7x6, PCGS F-15. The fifth coin the ungraded 1933 that Mr. Hansen purchased in 2019 in The Poulos Family Sale. The coin is tied to the S. Hallock Dupont Collection. Most collections are not measured by the coins at the bottom of the sets. If you choose to judge the Hansen eagles by his bottom five, then they would look like this:

#226) 1875, AU50 PCGS, POP 3/3, Purchased in 2020 auction realized $360,000
    #227) 1872-CC, AU50 PCGS, POP 10/10, PCCG Price Guide Value = $37,500
    #228) 1864-S, XF45 PCGS, POP 5/9, Purchased in 2020 auction realized $126,000
    #229) 1798/7 $10 7X6 Stars, F15 PCGS POP 1/11. Purchased in 2022, realized $78,000
    #230) 1933, N1 PCGS, POP 2/11, Purchased in 2019 auction realized $300,000

In my collection, these coins would be my Box of Five. In Hansen Core Collection, they are a drag on the set rating. The Hansen Team actively upgrading the remaining coins at the bottom in this core collection. Now, more on the 1798/7 $10 7X6 Stars Eagle.

Expert David Akers comments: With the exception of the extremely rare and unpublicized 1795 Nine Leaves Eagle, the 1798/7, 7x6 Stars Eagle is by far the rarest issue from 1795-1804. It is two to three times as rare as the 1798/7, 9x4 Stars, the 1797 Small Eagle or the 1804, and many more times rare than any of the others. Like most very rare coins, this isue has generally been overgraded and, in my experience, VF-EF is the typically seen grade. There are, however, several uncirculated examples known. It is interesting to note that this is the only early Eagle to rank in the top 50 issues of the series in rarity according to frequency of appearance at auction. (The 1795 Nine Leaves probably would have ranked at the top had it been listed seperately in auction catalogs.)

In an interesting fact, there have been one mint state specimen offered in public auction in the past eighteen years. That coin was offered in The D. Brent Pogue Collection, Part II sale that was held September 2015. The auctioneer was Stacks Bowers and the rare MS61 PCGS coin realized $705,000. It is auction record that still stands today. I don’t expect that auction record will survive the Bass MS62 offering in January 2023. I would predict it to top the million-dollar mark. If the bidding for the coin blows its top, then with this purchase of the Jacobson’s F15, it may relieve some bidding pressure from the shoulders of the Hansen Team.

The Stacks Bower cataloger estimated mintage for the issue as: Walter Breen asserts that 1,742 eagles were struck from 1798-dated dies, composed of the 900 coins delivered on February 17, 1798, and the 842 pieces delivered on February 28 of that year. Based on a more exhaustive study of die states and emission sequences, as well as modern estimates on the number of coins extant, Dannreuther provides a broader range of 1,500 to 2,442 coins struck for the 1798/7 eagle as an issue. As for the variety DB-2, the cataloger estimated mintage: Numismatic tradition accepts a mintage of 842 coins for the 1798/7 Stars 7x6 eagle, based on Breen's assertion that the 842-piece delivery of February 28, 1798 was achieved using only this die pairing. Given the paucity of survivors in numismatic circles, however, Dannreuther provides an estimated mintage of 300 to 842 coins for this variety, many of the coins delivered on February 28 likely from the 1798/7 BD-1 Stars 9x4 dies. With all that, the estimated Surviving Population per Dannreuther for the Variety: Only 20 to 30 coins are believed extant in all grades.

The cataloger added additional commentary: Like its identically dated BD-1 counterpart, the 1798/7 BD-2 eagle is unique for its obverse star arrangement in the Capped Bust Right ten-dollar gold series. Although this obverse die represents the only use of the 7x6 star arrangement, this actually seems like a more appropriate arrangement than the 8x5 style that replaced it beginning with the 1799-dated coins The 7x6 arrangement allows better centering of the word LIBERTY along the upper border, while on all stars 8x5 obverse dies the word LIBERTY begins in front of the cap and continues far to the right to approximately the 2 o'clock position. The scarcity of this variety precludes many numismatists from ever seeing a 1798/7 Stars 7x6 eagle, let alone acquiring an example for their collection. Indeed, after only the 1795 BD-3 9 Leaves, this is the scarcest early eagle die variety produced up to that point in time. The elusiveness of survivors is certainly due to the fact that few coins were struck in the first place. The obverse die failed quickly and developed myriad cracks, as seen on all known examples. It was replaced by the workhorse die of the 1797 Heraldic Eagle issue which, when mated with the same reverse die of both 1798/7 varieties, went on to strike the 1797 BD-3 variety. It was then the turn of the reverse die to yield to a replacement, after which the 1797 BD-4 variety emerged from the press. With the number of coins believed extant suggesting more extensive mintages, both the 1797 BD-3 and BD-4 varieties were likely delivered after February 28, 1798. The 842 eagles delivered on that date probably comprised a small number of 1798/7 BD-2 coins and additional 1798/7 BD-1 examples. As with so many early eagle varieties, the rarity of the 1798/7 Stars 7x6 has been overstated in the past. Breen (1988) asserted that only 13 examples were known. The actual number of survivors is approximately twice that number, which is still small in an absolute sense and confirms this as a very scarce variety. The unique obverse star arrangement places increased variety collector pressure on the few known examples, further highlighting the bidding opportunity represented by the present offering.

I am certain that Mr. Hansen prefers a better specimen. As I stated earlier, it took Mr. Hansen and his team about six and half years to find a specimen to purchase. They elected not to miss the opportunity when the Jacobson Specimen was offered. I am sure in a couple months when the Bass MS62 POP 2/1 specimen is offered, if the team has a good opportunity to upgrade, they will be one of the bidders. As for some of the competition, Jay Parrino currently has the AU58, Cert #37979184 specimen. He may desire to upgrade the PCGS Pop 4/5 specimen. The Schwenk and Madeline registry sets still need a specimen. We will have to watch and see what’s happens when this coin is offered. It going to be fun to watch. In the meantime, the Hansen Collections of Circulating Strike Eagles are complete.

Provenance: Donovan and Hudgens Collections sale, (Bowers and Merena's, 11/1993 as uncertified F12), lot 1513, realized $18,700; J.A. Sherman Collection sale, (Stack's, 8/2007), lot 3296, realized $31,050; The Harvey B. Jacobson, Jr. Collection / Winter 2022 Auction (Stack’s Bowers, 11/2022), Lot 4012, realized $78,000, D.L. Hansen Collection.

1798/7 Capped Bust Right Eagle. BD-2, Stars 7x6, PCGS F-15
    PCGS POP 1/11, BD-2, Taraszka-10
    Certification #06908454, PCGS #8561
    PCGS Price Guide $70,000 / Realized $78,000
    Ex: Sherman Specimen

Note: Thanks Stack’s Bowers for the usage of image.

• Options

Winter 2022 Auctions (4 of 6) – Fairmont Collection (CBL Set) / Stacks Bowers (1 of 2)

Has the Market Begun to Undervalue Fairmont Coins? - Douglas Winter Numismatics Article, November 21, 2022

We have certainly seen the Fairmont hoard being a fuel to supply the heat for many upgrades in the Hansen Core Collection in 2022. A couple days ago, I saw a very interesting article written by gold expect Doug Winter. I will share a couple excerpts but would highly recommend going to his website and read his article in its entirety. He opens with a recap: The dispersal of the Fairmont Hoard began in 2018. It became better organized in 2022 with the offering of the faux sets of half eagles, eagles, and double eagles which were given the names “Hendricks” (Sold in April 2022), “JBR” (Sold in August 2022), and “CBL” (sold in November 2022). It is interesting to note the decreasing prices for many of the issues which were offered in each of these sales in similar or virtually similar grades.

Also, I believe the set decrease in grade stating with the Hendricks set as the best and most complete. Mr. Hansen and Team purchase coins from both of the first two sales in 2022. I thought the Hansen Team would set out of the CBL sale. From an extensive search of the 415 lots offered this sale, I just could not find upgradable coins, except one. The only coin that would upgrade the Hansen Core Collection was the 1884-CC $5 AU58+ with POP 1/ 3. Ironically, Mr. Hansen did not purchase the lonely coin from the lot of 415 coins. The 1884-CC half eagle was purchased by a collector assembling a Carson City set named “LIBERTY OR DEATH”. The coin realized $16,800.

I have been pondering since the CBL sale about three weeks ago the question, why is Mr. Hansen buying coins that do not serve a purpose of upgrading his core collection. The best answer that I can come up with may be from the brilliant mind of Doug Winter. He presented an interesting reflection: It is my observation that the market is suffering from Fairmont Fatigue. This has caused some really nice (and really rare) coins to sell for significant discounts and, in my opinion, the prices realized for some—but not all—of the coins offered by Stack’s Bowers in November 2022 were bargains.

I have seen this shaping up for an awhile, but the Stack’s Bowers Winter 2022 Auctions of The Harvey B. Jacobson, Jr. Collection and the Fairmont CBL Set has really brought it unto the light. What is being brought into light? The fact that when many collectors are seeing the gold market to be a seller market, in some cases, Mr. Hansen and his DLRC Team may be viewing it as a buyer opportunity. As Mr. Winter may be suggesting, seeking out bargains. We may be starting to see another uniqueness in this collector that we don’t see every day.

Is there a risk to what we see happening in the D.L. Hansen Collection? Possible. Mr. Hansen focused his efforts in the Fairmont CBL set of double eagles except for picking up three half eagles. If you have been following the collection the past 3-4 years, you would know the D.L. Hansen has the finest collection of Liberty Head Double Eagles that has ever been assembled. Using the purchase of the AWA Collection as a foundation, the Hansen Team has built a great set of gold double eagles. The Fairmont CBL sale offered 121 double eagles and not one of them would upgrade the Hansen Core Collection.

When the bidding stopped, the Hansen team had won 45 coins. There were 39 Liberty Head Double Eagles, three Saint-Gaudens and three Liberty Head Half Eagles. I sometimes wonder if coins as these are won by minimal fix bidding. Let’s take a close look are one of six Carson City Double Eagles purchased.

1885-CC Liberty Head Double Eagle, MS62 PCGS

Incredible Mint State 1885-CC Double Eagle, Two MS63 Finer

Expert David Akers comment: This date ranks in the top third of all Carson City Mint Double Eagles in terms of overall rarity. It is only a little less rare as a date than the 1878-CC and 1879-CC but it is decidedly more "common" than either in high grade, i.e. AU or Unc. When available, the 1885-CC is typically EF although a number of VF specimens also exist. AU's are also seen from time to time but in full mint state the 1885-CC is definitely rare. I have seen a few Unc-60 specimens as well as a couple of choice Unc. examples but I have never seen or heard of a real gem.

PCGG POP reports fourteen MS62 graded specimens with only two finer. The finer two coins are a pair of MS63. The only PCGS MS 63 specimen to appear in auction was also from the Fairmont Collection. The Hendricks Set specimen was sold earlier this year and realized an auction record of $264,000. The other MS63 has never seen the light of day, yet. Rusty Goe writes about the other specimen: "Before continuing our survey of sales of Mint State specimens, it is important to emphasize that sometime around 2001 to 2003 PCGS began listing an MS-63 submission event in its population census for 1885-CC double eagles. More recently NGC posted an MS-63 submission event in its census. Not one specimen has ever surfaced to corroborate either of these entries. Until one does, there is nothing really to say regarding a specimen of such magnitude other than such a piece would deserve special status in the Carson City double eagle series. If there is indeed a certified MS-63 example, it would shatter the price record by a country mile if it were to appear in an auction. It is unthinkable that two such MS-63 specimens could exist. One can only imagine what an MS-63 1885-CC double eagle would look like. It would likely intoxicate a person to view one -- a breathtaking experience indeed."

Hansen already had an 1885-CC MS62 Double Eagle that he purchased in early 2017 for his #1 Liberty Head set. This early specimen was purchase in a private transaction from Numismatic Financial Corporation. I traced the pedigree to the Renz Family Collection. I guess you cannot have too many 1885-CC MS62 Double Eagles. It going to be a tough decision on which coin will be used in the Core Collection.

This is the third 1885-CC Double Eagle that has been offered by Stacks Bowers in 2022. All three were from the Fairmont hoard. I did find a fourth that was offered in 2018. They appeared as following:

1885-CC AU58 PCGS, CAC, Ex: Fairmont Collection (Stack's Bowers 4/2018), Realized $36,000
    1885-CC MS63 PCGS, CAC, Ex: Fairmont - Hendricks Set (Stack's Bowers 4/2022), Realized $264,000.
    1885-CC MS62 PCGS, CAC, Ex: Fairmont - JBR Set (Stack's Bowers 8/2022), Realized $84,000.
    1885-CC MS62 PCGS, Ex: Fairmont - CBL Set (Stack's Bowers 11/2022), Realized $72,000.

The big question that no one has answered yet… How many more are in the Fairmont hoard? The Stacks Bower cataloger offered no hints in this comment: Only 9,450 double eagles were coined at the Carson City Mint in 1885, by far the smallest production figure of any $20 from this facility during the 1880s. This is the final Carson City Mint double eagle coinage until 1889-CC; the frontier mint struck no coins of any denomination from 1886 to 1888. Writing in the excellent reference The Confident Carson City Coin Collector (2020), Rusty Goe accounts for just 20 to 25 Mint State coins among the 360 to 425 pieces believed extant in all grades. The finest example confirmed by the author is the marvelous Battle Born specimen in PCGS/CAC MS-62 that fetched $57,500 in our August 2012 sale of that collection. Our recent (Spring 2022 Auction) offering of the Fairmont's Collection Hendricks Set introduced an incredible PCGS/CAC MS-63 example to the market, which fetched a stunning $264,000. Its counterpart in the current Fairmont offering is also a newcomer to the market, and also solidly in the Condition Census for the issue. We expect it to see spirited bidding that will result in a strong price at the assigned grade level. We can only watch and see what 2023 and beyond have to offer.

The coin is described as: Simply put, this is one of the most significant Carson City Mint double eagle rarities that we have ever had the privilege of bringing to auction. It is a nearly Choice, visually appealing coin displaying a bold blend of honey-gold color and frosty mint luster. Sharply to fully struck with enhancing blushes of iridescent pinkish-apricot.

Provenance: A numismatic time capsule; plucked from circulation over 100 years ago and frozen in time in overseas bank vaults per Doug Winter; Winter 2022 Auction / Fairmont Collection -CBL Set, (Stacks-Bowers 11/2022), Lot 7378, Realized $72,000; D.L. Hansen Collection.

1885-CC Liberty Head Double Eagle, MS62 PCGS
    PCGS POP 14/2
    Certification #45944750, PCGS #9004
    PCGS Price Guide $115,000 / Realized $72,000
    Ex: Fairmont Collection - CBL Set
    `

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is always an entertaining and educational thread. Some fantastic coins are the topic of this thread with lots of information about their attributes and history.

What would be interesting to learn is what level of involvement Mr. Hansen personally has in the search for and the acquisition of coins that become part of his collection.

I assume that for some areas of U.S. Coinage Mr. Hansen is very involved; and that for other areas (i.e. post 1933 US Coinage) Mr. Hansen is not very involved.

For example, for Jefferson nickels, both circulation strikes and proofs, does the Hansen search for these coins consist of Mr. Hansen delegating the search to others working with/for him with instructions to:

1. Find and acquire Top Pop coins that have positive eye appeal and minimal flaws; and

2. Do not spend more than X dollars on a purchase without obtaining advance approval to pay higher than X dollars.

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm always agog when I see the condition rarities posted on this forum. Collectors like myself would likely never see many or perhaps any of these coins without travelling to a show or an auction preview, and even then would see comparatively few.

Thanks to all who take the trouble to post all the beautiful coins we enjoy vicariously on this forum.

• Options
    jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you again for this amazing thread. I'd be curious to know (this may have been covered already), as to why, for example, Dell Loy purchased 45 coins from the Fairmont Collection, using none for the core collection. How is he using these coins? Just to supplement his 2nd and 3rd sets? Also, when he upgrades his core collection, does he liquidate the replaced coin, relegate it to a lower set, or is it situational?

Lastly, and again, maybe this was covered recently, but how many openings does he have left in his core collection, and are there any upcoming auctions that have options to fill those holes.

Thanks Currin!

• Options

Morgan Dollars with Major Varieties, Circulation Strikes (1878-1921)

What is it about Morgan silver dollars that brings out the demand for the best? Is it the romance of the Old West? Is it the memory of going to the bank to get a silver dollar to rattle around in your pocket? Is it the challenge of finding big, heavy coins that aren't peppered with marks and abrasions? Whatever the reasons, there have been some fantastic sets of Morgan dollars assembled in recent years, filled with coins of amazing quality and rarity. The rarest dates of the series in top condition include the 1884-S, 1886-O, 1889-CC, 1892-S, 1893-S, 1894-O, 1895-O, and 1896-O.– PCGS Registry

In the last posting, the discussion was on Proof Seated Liberty Dollars. This posting will be the Morgan Dollars with Major Varieties, Circulation Strikes (1878-1921). The Morgan Circulating Strike Dollars have really been a set in the core collection that have receive a lot of attention from Mr. Hansen and the Team. The work they have put into this set has continually moved it up in the PCGS set rankings. As seen on the screenshot below, the set is currently ranked #2 on the All-Time PCGS Finest Registry trailing only the Illinois Set. The Hansen and Illinois sets are tied in the PCGS Grade Point Average (GPA) raking at 66.02. The Hansen Set is trailing on overall ranking due to +13 bonus points for the Illinois set. This means the Hansen set need to upgrade seven coins to sole finest PCGS, or fourteen tied for finest, or a combination in between. The lead of +13 bonus points is fairly significant.

In November 2019, the Hansen core set had an ATF ranking of seven with GPA with bonus of 65.198. The set was a nice solid top ten registry set of Morgan Dollars. The work required to make any improvement is very hard. For Morgan Dollar collectors, you know collecting the condition census coins required in this set is very competitive. If you desire to be at the top in the pool, then you have to overcome great sets such as Jack Lee, Illinois, California, Coronet, Gold River and many others. This is not for the faint of heart. Now, fast forward three years and currently, the set has an ATF ranking of two with GPA with bonus of 66.46.

When retelling this story again, it really starts with the Stacks Bowers November 2020 Auction of The Larry H. Miller Collection of Morgan Dollars. Mr. Hansen purchased eight magnificent Morgan Dollars in the sale, paying approx. $3.6 Million with all coins going into the core collection. The lowest price that he paid was $66,000 for the 1886-S MS67, PCGS POP 5/0, CAC. The other seven coins all realized six figures, as shown below:

1895-S, MS67DMPL, POP 1/0, CAC, Cert #04884182, Realized $336,000, Ex: Jack Lee
    1893-O, MS65DMPL, POP 1/1, CAC, Cert #04884185, Realized $360,000, Ex: Jack Lee
    1892-S, MS68, POP 1/0, Cert #07455547, Realized $630,000, Ex: Jack Lee
    1897-O, MS67, POP 2/0, Cert #05700150, Realized $348,000, Ex: Jack Lee
    1895-O, MS67, POP 1/0, Cert #07455561, Realized $528,000, Ex: Wayne Miller/ Jack Lee
    1884-S, MS68, POP 1/0, Cert #07455496, Realized $750,000, Ex: Chuck Walanka / Jack Lee
    1893-S, MS65, POP 5/1, CAC, Cert #03134219, Realized $600,000, Ex: Larry H. Miller Collection

As we sometimes see, Mr. Hansen will follow-up a great purchase with a second punch. That is exactly what happened in late November 2020. The Illinois Morgan Collection was on the market. Barry Stuppler‘s desire was to keep the set together and sell intact. The set contained 12 PCGS POP 1/0 specimens; with most all the sole finest Illinois coins are from the Coronet Collection. After an unsuccessful attempt to sell intact, Mr. Stuppler broke the set and stated to sell them individually. Well, now Mr. Hansen’s second punch was the purchase of four of the PCGS POP 1/0 specimens.

1881 (4) MS67+, POP 1/0, Finest certified by PCGS
    1883-S (7) MS67+PL, POP 1/0, Finest certified by PCGS
    1898-O (1) MS68DMPL, POP 1/0, Finest certified by PCGS
    1903-S (7) MS67+, POP 1/0, Finest certified by PCGS

These four upgrades provided enough of a bump, that the Hansen Collection hit #4 in the all-time ranking. This is a move up from #6 and the first time ever on the all-time leader board for the Morgan Dollars. It also represents a move to first place in the current rankings.

The second punch was really a combination, because he delivered another quick purchase of four additional Morgan Dollars a couple months later in January 2021. Three of the four coins were purchased from Barry Stuppler, (Illinois Collection). The other coin is from another source that Mr. Hansen frequently turns to, GreatCollections Auction. Here are the four 2021 upgrades and approximately when purchased.

GreatCollections Auction (1/24/2021)
    1903-O, MS67+, CAC, POP 10/0, Tied Finest certified by PCGS

Barry Stuppler – Mint State Gold – Late January 2021
    1878 7TF (Rev 79), MS67, POP 1/0, Finest certified by PCGS
    1901 DDR, PCGS MS62, POP 3/1
    1904-S, MS67 CAC, POP 2/0, Finest certified by PCGS

Mr. Hansen delivered couple addition punches in late May 2021. He picked a Morgan Dollar from Larry Shapiro Rare Coin. The 1883-O MS67+ CAC Approved (PCGS POP 20/1) coin is not that rare and expensive. The asked price on the website was $7,495. The coin sold in Heritage Central States US Coins Signature Auction in April 2021. Then, DLH purchased one additional coin from Barry Stuppler at Mint State Gold (MSG). The coin purchase was the 1894, MS65+ CAC (PCGS POP 6/6). The ask for the coin was $46,000. The coin replaced a MS64 with POP of 288/67. Then, a long wait before seeing any more action.

Fifteen months later and prior to the American Numismatic Association's World's Fair of Money in August 2022, John Brush on the behalf of the D.L. Hansen Collection purchased a large selection of Morgan Dollars from the Wurt Registry Set being offered by Shaun Bobb of Mike's Coin Chest. I am not certain the total that the Hansen team acquired, but it seems in the 23-24 piece range. I found a couple coins upgraded in #2 set, but the bulk were core set upgrades. Along with the five highlights below, there were 16 additional upgrades totaling 21 coins.

1880-O MS66 CAC, POP 2/0, “pop 1 CAC”, Obtained by D.L. Hansen, PCGS: $200,000
    1886-O MS65 CAC, POP 6/2, Obtained by D.L. Hansen, PCGS: $285,000
    1887-O MS66+PL CAC POP 2/0, Obtained by D.L. Hansen, PCGS: $100,000
    1894 MS66+ “Pop 1/0”, Obtained by D.L. Hansen, PCGS: $200,000
    1899-O (Micro O) MS66 CAC “Pop 1/0,” Obtained by D.L. Hansen, PCGS: $92,500

With these upgrades, the 117-piece Hansen Morgan set landed in the #2 All-Time spot behind Illinois Set. The most recent coin to be upgraded is also from the Wurt Collection. It may have been acquired in the August 2022 purchase or recently. It is the coin that enables the set to reach a tie in GPA with the top set.

1892 Morgan Dollar, MS66, CAC, Ex: Coronet / Wurt Collection

Premium Gem 1892 Morgan Dollar, MS66 PCGS

PCGS provides edited comments from Q. David Bowers which is from his "Silver Dollars & Trade Dollars of the United States: A Complete Encyclopedia": From the time of mintage through the early decades of the twentieth century, the 1892 was a major rarity. Very few had been released into circulation. However, Proofs were available readily enough, and they took care of the need to acquire a circulation strike of the date. This situation was true of such other Philadelphia Morgan dollar dates as 1894, 1897, and 1899, among others. The relatively few transactions involving Mint State 1892 dollars sold prior to 1940 did not take place at high prices. Accordingly, the erstwhile rarity of this date was not recognized until I researched the matter in connection with the present text. Large quantities of Mint State 1892 dollars were released by the Treasury in the late 1950s and early 1960s, before which time they were rare, as noted. By the late 1950s, they were very common. Harry J. Forman reported that Uncirculated 1892 dollars were second only to 1891 dollars from the standpoint of availability through Philadelphia banks at the time. However, by the time that the Treasury began emptying its vaults in earnest, circa 1962-1964, most 1892 dollars had already been paid out. The date was not well represented among later Treasury hoard coins.

PCGS CoinFacts gives the survival estimate at more than 100K in all grades and 88 survived in GEM MS65 or better. Oddly enough, PCGS has not graded specimens greater than MS66. The demand for Morgan Dollars are high. There are 359 PCGS MS65 GEM specimens and they have a PCGS Price Guide Value of $3,600. There are 82 PCGS MS65+ with value of $6,000. There are thirteen coins graded PCGS MS66 with none fine. There are only two of them that also carries the CAC sticker. The Hansen coin in one and I am not sure the collection the second CAC is located. The current auction record is $49,938. The record was achieved in a Legend Rare Coin Auction dated back in 2018 for a non-CAC.

Heritage Auction 8/2006 cataloger description for the Hansen MS66: Not only is this example tied for the finest certified, but it exhibits exceptional aesthetic appeal. Both sides are fully brilliant and highly lustrous with radiant mint frost. Although the hair above Liberty's ear is a trifle soft, it can be considered a full strike for the issue. Aside from a few scattered surface ticks on each side, the obverse and reverse are pristine.

I feel confident this coin was part of the original John Brush purchase from Mike's Coin Chest, although the coin is just making into the collection in the past few days. I am not sure why the delay. Was it out for reassessment? Was it lost or misplaced? For whatever the reason was, the MS66, CAC coin does make an excellent upgrade to the previous MS65DMPL. We will continue to watch and see if the set can overcome the top ranking Illinois Set. Could it be in 2023?

Provenance: Denver Platinum Night / Signature Auction (Heritage 8/2006 as MS66 PCGS Cert #06139833 ), Lot 5361, realized $24,150; PN Silver Dollar Session / FUN Auction (Heritage 1/2009), Lot 5007, realized $43,125; Coronet Collection / Regency XII Auction (Legend 6/2015 as MS66 PCGS Cert #28286112), Lot 58, realized $47,000; Wurt Collection (PCGS Set Registry); Prior American Numismatic Association's World's Fair of Money, David Lawrence acquired in offering by Mike's Coin Chest; D.L. Hansen Collection.

1892 Morgan Dollar, MS66, CAC
    Certification #25635871, PCGS #7212
    PCGS POP 13/0, CAC POP 2/0
    PCGS Price Guide $55,000.00 / CAC Price Guide $60,000
    Ex: Coronet / Wurt Collection

Thanks Heritage Auctions for 2009 Image

• Options

@Currin your previous post (2nd above) stated:
    In the last posting, the discussion was on Proof Seated Liberty Dollars. This posting will be the Morgan Dollars with Major Varieties, Circulation Strikes (1878-1921). The Morgan Circulating Strike Dollars have really been a set in the core collection that have receive a lot of attention from Mr. Hansen and the Team. The work they have put into this set has continually moved it up in the PCGS set rankings. As seen on the screenshot below, the set is currently ranked #2 on the All-Time PCGS Finest Registry trailing only the Illinois Set. The Hansen and Illinois sets are tied in the PCGS Grade Point Average (GPA) raking at 66.02. The Hansen Set is trailing on overall ranking due to +13 bonus points for the Illinois set. This means the Hansen set need to upgrade seven coins to sole finest PCGS, or fourteen tied for finest, or a combination in between. The lead of +13 bonus points is fairly significant.
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6027503/uploads/editor/2v/lmqj1g99qupm.png
    The part about the bonus points and +13 is not correct. I will try to explain briefly (but it won't be) how this works but not sure I can or that it will come across clearly.

For each set there is a divisor. This can be found by clicking the 'Set Composition' button at the top of the main page of each set. The divisor is at the bottom. For this set the divisor is 540.

On this 'set composition' page it also shows the 'Weight' of each coin in the set on the far right. The divisor is the sum of all the individual coin 'Weight'.

The coin 'Weight' indicates how many times the individual coin counts in determining the set rating. A coin with a 'Weight' of 5 would be counted 5 times, a common coin with a 'Weight' of one only once and up to a 'Weight' of 10 where the coin would be counted 10 times.

Example with the above - Coin 1 MS64 weight 5 gets 320 points - Coin 2 MS68 weight 1 gets 68 points - Coin 3 MS62 weight 10 gets 620 points. Total set points 320 + 68 + 620 = 1008.
    The divisor would be the sum of the Weights 5 + 1 + 10 = 16.
    The set rating would be 1008 / 16 = 63.000

When Bonus points are added for Top Pop (+2) or Tied (+1), then that gets include into the coin grade and also multiplied by the Weight.
    Example Coin 1 is tied for top pop and gets +1 additional grade points. Therefore 1 X 5 = 5 more points Or can do it from the grade and MS64 +1 = MS65 and weight 5 gets 325 points total for the coin.
    This would bump the set with bonus points to 1008 + 5 = 1013 Or 325 + 68 + 620 = 1013.
    The set rating with bonus points would be 1013 / 16 = 63.3125

Now to get back to the Hansen to Illinois set. Using the numbers quoted above of 66.59 and 66.46, what does the difference of 0.13 indicate?
    First is the divisor for this set of 540. That means that a one (1) Weight coin with a grade increase of +1 (say 64 to 65) would increase the set rating by 1 / 540 = 0.001852 (rounded). This is because it would increase the total set points by 1 and then to get the set rating one would divide by the divisor of 540.

So to determine how many grade points 0.13 is for this set would need to divide by (1 / 540) or 0.001852 which is the amount 1 grade point is worth for a set rating or 0.13 / 0.001852 = 70 grade points (rounded). Grade points are the grade or the bonus points.

Example for the Hansen set. If the first coin 1878 8tf was upgraded from the MS66+ (66.5) to the Top Pop MS68, then the Hansen set would increase by +1.5 for the grade times the Weight of 5 = 7.5 grade points times the 0.001852 = 0.01389. So 66.02 + 0.01389 = 66.03389.
    The set rating with bonus points would include both the grade increase and the +2 for Top Pop. So the +2 for top pop times the Weight of 5 times the 0.001852 = 0.01852. The set rating with bonus points would go up to 66..46 + 0.01389 + 0.01852 = 66.4924.

Note: if you click on the blue set rating it will list the set rating time line. Or if you hover the mouse over the blue it will show the current rating. Some sets (and as far as I have seen they are retired sets) don't agree with the set rating shown on the first page top 5 sets. The Illinois set is one. It is indicated to be 66.533 in both but the first page has the 66.59?

On this page for the Basic Morgan set this is true (bad) for both the Illinois set and the Coronet set. If you click on the blue number for the set rating it indicates they are number 3 and 2 for ATF because their set rating is lower than that of Jack Lee which on the first page is number 3 but a higher set rating. Don't know why these set rating numbers sometimes disagree with the first page.

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/dollars/morgan-dollars-major-sets/morgan-dollars-basic-set-circulation-strikes-1878-1921/88

I did Not double check these numbers so hope not to many typos.

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

‘’I have included the Eisenhower Dollars being they are the last of the large diameter coins. Thirteen coins are required in the total set and the Hansen Collection has twelve. In 2018, Mr. Hansen purchased the 1971 Type 1 Reverse Silver, PR69DCAM, POP 3/0 from Justin Spivack, owner of Monster Coin. This purchased positioned the Hansen set tied for All-Time Registry Top spot with Mitch Spivack. The set contains all finest coins and at this time cannot improve more than it is today. The set can be tied for All-Finest but cannot lose its number one spot unless someone finds 1971 Type 1 Reverse Silver that will grade PR70DCAM. The thirteenth coin is not required in the registry set. The unique 1976 No S Type 2 - Silver Eisenhower Dollar is owned by Justin Spivack by gift from his father Mitch Spivack. Will Justin ever sale? There is an old saying: everything is for sale at the right price.’’

Currin: Thank you for your continued enlightening discussion of all the various coin series tied to Mr. Hansen’s landmark collection. With respect to the Ike dollars - yes, we had no problem helping Mr. Hansen add the 1971 Type 1 Reverse Silver Finest known to his collection. We had 2 coins and we were fine letting one go at a very fair price. It wouldn’t surprise me if the 1971 Ty 1 coin (at the price we charged him) outperformed 90%+ of every coin ever purchased by Mr. Hansen for his great set. Mark my words on that. Also, I have not requested that the (currently) Unique Proof Ike Dollar be added to all the various Registry sets it can rightfully be added to. This is intended so collectors like Mr. Hansen and hundreds and hundreds of other collectors do not go from a 100% complete set to a set that can never be completed without the Unique Silver Ike. To date, the Unique Ike has only been included in the Top 100 Modern Coin set and a single set of Ikes; namely the Complete MS & Proof Ike set with major varieties (both of which I am personally ranked #1 in). Mr. Hansen will never possess a complete set of Proof Ike dollars including major varieties without this Unique Ike (the only Proof Silver Ty 2 Ike known that is dated for the Bi-Centennial year of our country). But, there are obviously other great coins he will never own as well. No one can own everything.

To correct your statement- the No S Ike is not owned by Justin and never has been. I had originally planned to gift it to Justin in my Trust with my daughter getting an equal value to the Ike from other sources. That became nearly impossible to do with the skyrocketing value of the Ike over the past roughly 20 years, and Justin was given a very special different coin as a gift a few years back. So, G-d willing, the No S Ike will be sold publicly in my lifetime and the proceeds received from the sale will benefit me, my wife, both children and whatever charity we donate some of the proceeds to.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know what shuffling they are doing but some of his date sets have fallen in rank.

• Options

@Clackamas1 said:
    I don't know what shuffling they are doing but some of his date sets have fallen in rank.

Interesting, I have not noticed. I don’t pay much attention to the date or basic sets. They are subsets of the major variety sets. I review and look for upgrades in the 69 MV core sets and 67 proof sets. There are currently almost 2000 Hansen registry sets. I am not sure how often they are updated. I focus on less than 100 sets and the large complete sets. All my upgrades are found in those sets which covers all the core coins. Although, what you are saying is interesting. If you post a couple sets as examples, it could be interesting to dig into. Lastly, I don't think Mr. Hansen goal is to have the finest coin in every slot. It appears the core collection of approx. 6500 coins (if you count proof in the core collection) is tracking toward 100% PCGS Top Five. This is not something that I heard him declare as goal, but it is what I see in tracking. He is not there yet, but this is what I see his updates are tracking to:

15% PCGS POP 1/0, finest certified by PCGS.
    Another 35% tied, which results in 50% of the core collection will be PCGS finest.
    The number of specimens that is second finest with only one PCGS graded finer is 15-20%.
    The remainder is tracking toward PCGS Top Five which means only four coins can be graded finer.

Currently,
    The mint strikes (4558 total) core coins are 42% Finest and 77% Top Five
    The proof (1916 total) coins are 51% Finest and 72% Top Five.
    -- Note that he still has 230 proof coins missing that negatively impact this percent.

Again, I am not implying these are Hansen's goals, only that is the way I see this large core collection tracking. What I don't see as much, is him focusing on the smaller date and basic sets and making them number. If you are competing in the entire sets, i.e. Major Variety, then look out.

This is only my observations, nothing more

• Options
    PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Currin said:
    Liberty Head $10 Gold with Major Varieties, Circulation Strikes (1838-1907)

As we are seeing 2022 winding down, the flow of updates into D.L. Hansen Collection has begun to dwindle. That can be expected during this holiday season with all the activities that are going on. Also, we may be seeing a breather before the January fireworks show at the FUN events. Those sales including, Bass, Bender, O’Neal, etc. should be cool to watch from the sideline. I thought we could have seen a few upgrades posted from the Heritage US Coins Signature Auction held December 15 – 18. I am not sure if there were no purchases by the Hansen Team, or they could be slow to post in the registry. I did find a recent Seated Liberty Eagle purchase in a late October from a Great Collections Auction. I think that at the end of the year would be another great time to do a quick recap of the Hansen Liberty Head Eagles.

The entire mint state Liberty Head Eagle set is 184 coins. The set is described by PCGS as: This long, long series stretches from the time when Abe Lincoln was less than 30 years old to the years when Teddy Roosevelt was in power. The set is filled with rarities, but there are no so-called "impossible" coins as are seen in many other series. The classic rarity is the famed 1875. This set involves three distinct types: the No Motto Covered Ear, the No Motto and the With Motto. The "Varieties Set" of this great series is not that different from the Basic Set. Yes, there are a few goodies to add to the Basic Set, but well over 95% of the work and fun are done before you get to the varieties.

Mr. Hansen completed the set in February 2020. With completion, the Hansen set became the #1 All-Time PCGS Registry 184-piece set. The set has remained in the top spot ever since. The set has received annual “Best of the Registry” for the last five years straight, with Gold Award Winner in 2019. During this time, the set has been constantly improved. In February 2020, the GPA with bonus points for the Hansen #1 set was 58.898. After about 48 Upgrades in the past 2.5 years, the set now has a GPA with bonus of 59.680 which is approaching a full one point improvement.

My last discussion on this set was a recent post November 3rd. The Hansen Team upgrade the set with a purchase from the Heritage 2022 Long Beach Expo US Coins Signature Auction. The coin was a sole finest specimen, 1867 Liberty Head Eagle, PCGS MS62 from Northern Lights of Vermilion Collection. In that posting, I described the top five sets in the PCGS Registry. In this post, let’s look at the details in the top set. Other than being All-Time number #1, these are the other key indicators in the Hansen 184-piece set:

14 Coins - PCGS POP 1/0, Sole Finest, highlighting the amazing 1839/8 Type of 1838, PCGS MS66, CAC.
    35 Coins - PCGS Tied for Finest Certified, highlighting the incredible 1870-CC, AU55, POP 3/0.
    31 Coins - PCGS Certified One Finer, highlighting the astonishing 1884-CC, MS62+, POP 1/1.
    64 Coins - PCGS Condition Census Top Five, highlighting the remarkable 1875, AU50, POP 3/3

This impressive set is 78.26% PCGS condition census top five. Of the non-CC specimens, the bottom five coins with the highest PCGS POP are:

1842 Small Date, AU53, PCGS POP: 8/21
    1882-S, MS62, CAC, PCGS POP: 111/21
    1892-O, MS62, PCGS POP: 192/15
    1855-O, AU53, CAC, PCGS POP: 10/12
    1850 Large Date, MS61, PCGS POP: 8/11

As you can see, the set still has a ways to go and the 40 coins that are not condition census which makes prime candidates for upgrading. Before featuring the coin, let's look how it fits in a 11-coin run.

1895-O Liberty Head Eagle, PCGS MS-63+

Just Two Coins Finer at PCGS (HA 5/2022)

This PCGS Condition Census coin may be the last eagle upgrade in 2022. In fact, this could be the last upgrade period. If it turns out that way, it is a nice way to finish the year. Gold expert Doug Winter describes the date as: The 1895-O is similar in overall and high grade rarity to the 1892-O and the 1893-O eagles. It is another issue that has become far more available in the past decade due to the discovery of a group of hoards. The 1895-O is almost never seen below AU55 and most of the surviving examples grade AU58 to MS61. It is scarce in properly graded MS62 and rare in MS63. I have never seen or heard of a piece that graded higher than MS63. Currently, there are eight PCGS specimens graded MS63+, and only three MS64. It appear the PCGS MS64 has gone from just two to currently three since May 2022. In the NGC POP report, there is one MS63+ and one MS64. Two of the three PCGS MS64 specimens are CAC Approved. There are 10 MS63 CAC approved, but I cannot confirm any are MS63+.

The three MS64 specimens have never appeared in auction with that grade. The limited appearances of the high end coins is puzzling. With the three MS64 having no appearances, the Hansen coin is the only MS63+ that has been offered in auction. The coined appeared twice in 2022, once in a May Heritage Auction and later in a October Great Collections. The only NGC MS63+ appeared in the Heritage 2017 ANA US Coins Signature Auction. The coin was cataloged as: The 1895-O ten comes from a mintage of only 98,000 coins and is rare in MS63. Only a single numerically finer coin is known. This Plus-graded Select example displays sharp motifs and satiny straw-gold mint luster. A few light, scattered abrasions are consistent with the grade. This New Orleans issue is underappreciated in this condition. Census: 11 in 63 (1 in 63+), 1 finer (6/17). The NGC POP has not changed from 2017, and the NGC MS64 has never appeared in auction. The Fairmont hoard placed three new MS63 PCGS specimens in 2022 Stacks Bowers Auctions. So far, the Fairmont ceiling has been MS63 for this coin.

I found four auction appearances for the Hansen MS63+ specimen. There was brief mention of the coin in a 1/2007 Stack’s Auction called the Orlando Sale. The coin was in lot 1388. Then the coin was part of the M.B. Tucker Collection of U.S. Gold Coins before being offered in a Stacks Bowers, 11/2011 sale. In this sale, the cataloger described the coin as: A frosty and lustrous specimen with warm orange highlights on honey gold surfaces. Choice and appealing for the grade, and among the finest examples of the date certified by NGC. The coin was graded MS63 and sold for $5,175.

After eleven years in dark places unknown, the coin appear again in a May 2022 Central States US Coins Signature Auction. This time in a PCGS MS63+ holder. The coin was described as: Prominent die lines appear near the Y in LIBERTY, confirming the attribution. This is a marvelous high-end New Orleans eagle from a mintage of 98,000 coins. Design definition is strong throughout. Warm, satiny luster glows from minimally marked orange-gold surfaces. The coin realized $7,800 and still have an active Cert #43978204. The coin was purchased in the Great Collection Auction for the Hansen Collection. It had a new certification for the May Heritage sale. The coin replaces a MS63 Hansen pedigreed coin that dates back to 2016.

Provenance: The Orlando Sale, (Stack’s 1/2007), lot 1388; The M.B. Tucker Collection of U.S. Gold Coins / November 2011 Baltimore, (Stacks Bowers 11/2011 as NGC MS-63), Lot 9746, realized $5,175; Central States US Coins Signature Auction (Heritage 5/2022 as PCGS MS63+, Cert #43978204), lot 4860, realized $7,800; Great Collections Auction, (10/2022), Item ID: #1225487, realized $10,273.95, D.L. Hansen Core Collection

1895-O Liberty Head Eagle, PCGS MS-63+
    PCGS POP 8/3
    Certification #45818790, PCGS #8733
    PCGS Price Guide $10,000.00 / Realized $10,273.95

That sure is a clean 63+ must be pretty muted luster in person which I imagine is common for the issue.

• Options
    Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1868 Mint set in particular. I was #1 for years, got pushed to #2 and then now I am back at #1.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file