Comments

• GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 5, 2020 9:23AM

@cameonut2011 said:

@Gazes said:

@Currin said:

@yosclimber said:

@skier07 said:
    So Hansen pays $2M for the 54-S $5 and he held out on a pop 1 86-S $5 for $800. This doesn’t make a lot of sense to me unless I’m missing something.

Since there are hundreds of potential upgrades, the principle is to buy them if the price is "reasonable".
    It is a somewhat fuzzy concept, but he has time and patience, so it seems to work pretty well.

Well, this is not easy to answer in 25 words or less. Although @yosclimber did a pretty good job with about 35 words. In the past 12 months, I do not think the Hansen philosophy to his purchasing has change, but the application has evolved considerably. His philosophy has been provided by John Brush on several occasions, I will provide again as a review. It goes something like this:

If a coin becomes available that will improve the set (he means the HOF set), and is being offered at a fair price, then we are interested in buying.

When referring to the upgrades, I have recently heard JB used the term that an upgrade is insignificant to the collection. What this means, no one coin (like the pop 1 86-S $5) has any real significance, alone. This is especially true if the coin being replaced is tied for second finest known. I don’t think JB and Mr. Hansen are having daily discussions on should they spend an additional $800 to buy any particular upgrade. With John Brush’s experience, he knows the market value and when the bidding exceeds that predetermine fair market value, the bidding ends for the Hansen team. Another way to put it, this bid is just a buying process as any experience dealer would handle a similar situation. This has not always been the case on some early bidding.

June 27th 2019

This is a monumental date for the Hansen Collection. History tells us that June 7th, 1944 was the day that changed the course of World War II. I believe from what I am seeing and have seen the past year, June 27th 2019 was the day that changed the course of the Hansen Collection. Prior to this day, Mr. Hansen would determine certain coins that he desired in his collection and would get into bidding wars to obtain them. Have you witness any bidding wars the past 12 months? I have not.

Prior to June 27th 2019, I believe there were some actors that were bidding up desirable coins. I don’t think that is happening as much today, because there is now a fear that Mr. Hansen may leave other bidder holding the coin. I know of one case that an ultra-rarity was bided up to a high premium, and Hansen dropped out. The coin was offered to him several times but he would not buy. The coin sold in a recent auction and the collector loss was significant. Mr. Hansen could have bought the coin around $100K cheaper in the fire sale auction. He decided he did not want the coin.

As I stated, this new application of Hansen’ philosophy has really change the course of this collection. There are upcoming auctions with probably 20-25 coins that are perfect coins to improve the Hansen Collection. I am not expecting Mr. Hansen to get into any bidding wars over these coins. If he is high bidder for any of them at a predetermine fair market price, we may see him buying a few. The days of overpaying for a coin that only upgrade a collection that is already pretty darn good, I think is over. This is very unfortunate turn of events for the sellers and the auction houses involved.

I think what Hansen is doing is fairly unique so general rules may not make sense for his purchases. Since by definition he needed/needs every coin in the best condition possible, paying whatever it takes in each instance would be counterproductive. I think when people are critical when he passes on coins they believe are "must have" ----they make his point---he is saying nothing is a "must have". Passing on coins routinely may lose the battle but in the end win the war by making coins available at fair market value.

If he was in his 30s or 40s I would agree. He is much older. The coins might not come up for sale again in his life time. He was really lucky with the Pogue 1854-s $5. With that said, I can understand avoiding coin sharks on principle even if it means having an incomplete set.

I understand why you use the term an "incomplete set" but i find it hard to use any fashion with the Hansen collection (im probably reading more into it then you intended). First, im assuming he will have one or two coins that he will simply not acquire. Rather than describe it as an incomplete set i look at his collection as an amazing collection. Further, his collection is chalk full of complete sets of various series. If he does miss out on a coin or two using his strategy (and the jury is out on this), i dont think anyone will view it as an incomplete set.

• CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gazes said:>
    I understand why you use the term an "incomplete set" but i find it hard to use any fashion with the Hansen collection (im probably reading more into it then you intended). First, im assuming he will have one or two coins that he will simply not acquire. Rather than describe it as an incomplete set i look at his collection as an amazing collection. Further, his collection is chalk full of complete sets of various series. If he does miss out on a coin or two using his strategy (and the jury is out on this), i dont think anyone will view it as an incomplete set.

There are only two coins that I believe Mr. Hansen feels they are very important for him in “completing” his goal. I not going to say which two they are, but if you have been watching the thread you should know. There are some coins that he has no desire to purchase and he feels they are not significant or does not fit his goals. So, I am not sure he would agree to calling this “missing out” if the coin is not what he is personally seeking, i.e., the 1913 Nickel, and the two 1880 Stella’s. He has no need spend 6-8 Million Dollars on coins without a desire to add to his collection. Many of us may disagree, but it is his collection and his money. If he doesn’t desire something, so be it. You can call it missing out or something else.

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonderful narrative of events.

What is baffling to me about the story is why bid and buy a bunch of upgrades while cutting your max bid By $1.5M for the one coin you actually NEED?

Truely amazing article! One thing i hope it does is dispel the notion that Hansen is a billionaire who simply throws money at coins with little thought. It shows how he wasnt comfortable with the other 1854-S; the weekly discussions with John Brush about the value, the other bidders, etc; and the decision making of buying this 7 figure rarity during a pandemic and what appeared to be an economic meltdown. Wonderful article!

• OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

I especially enjoyed John Brush's recollection of a great auction victory at a time when most collectors were hiding under their beds. And I am very happy for DLH for his acquisition of a very rare coin that is not often seen in the market. But with a mintage of 268 coins he will have to wait for the shoe to drop with the discovery of a hoard, or another shipwreck, that will over populate the market. I do not recall any reasons that the Mint might have been melting gold coins in 1854-1855.

But congratulations are in order for DLH and JB for a great acquisition.

OINK

• goldengolden Posts: 9,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a super story!

• JBatDavidLawrenceJBatDavidLawrence Posts: 504 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OldIndianNutKase said:
    I especially enjoyed John Brush's recollection of a great auction victory at a time when most collectors were hiding under their beds. And I am very happy for DLH for his acquisition of a very rare coin that is not often seen in the market. But with a mintage of 268 coins he will have to wait for the shoe to drop with the discovery of a hoard, or another shipwreck, that will over populate the market. I do not recall any reasons that the Mint might have been melting gold coins in 1854-1855.

But congratulations are in order for DLH and JB for a great acquisition.

OINK

Thank you!
    There's always that risk with any great rarity I believe...even an 84 or 85 Proof Trade Dollar (though if I found a bag of either, I'd think it is suspect). But, I think after 166 years, we feel pretty comfortable that another roll (or bag) won't pop up... :)

John Brush
    President of David Lawrence Rare Coins www.davidlawrence.com
    email: John@davidlawrence.com
    2022 ANA Dealer of the Year, Past Chair of NCBA (formerly ICTA), PNG Treasurer, Instructor at Witter Coin University, former Instructor/YN Chaperone ANA Summer Seminar, Coin World Most Influential, Curator of the D.L. Hansen Collection
  • CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

After reading the article, I think In-N-Out Burger should hire Brush to do a commercial. "Hi, when I had just won a world class coin rarity at a fire sale price of under $2M, where did I go to dinner to celebrate? In-N-Out Burger!" No need to mention that most of the A-list restaurants in LA were closed down at the time. ;)

Joking aside, I really enjoyed the article. It's definitely a rush to win a coin you desperately want for far less than anticipated.

@CoinJunkie said:
    After reading the article, I think In-N-Out Burger should hire Brush to do a commercial. "Hi, when I had just won a world class coin rarity at a fire sale price of under $2M, where did I go to dinner to celebrate? In-N-Out Burger!" No need to mention that most of the A-list restaurants in LA were closed down at the time. ;)

Joking aside, I really enjoyed the article. It's definitely a rush to win a coin you desperately want for far less than anticipated.

I'd settle for them just opening one in Virginia Beach...of course, then I'd have to fight a lot of inner turmoil on a daily basis in choosing between Chick-Fil-A and In-N-Out...

John Brush
    2022 ANA Dealer of the Year, Past Chair of NCBA (formerly ICTA), PNG Treasurer, Instructor at Witter Coin University, former Instructor/YN Chaperone ANA Summer Seminar, Coin World Most Influential, Curator of the D.L. Hansen Collection

@JBatDavidLawrence said:

@CoinJunkie said:

I'd settle for them just opening one in Virginia Beach...of course, then I'd have to fight a lot of inner turmoil on a daily basis in choosing between Chick-Fil-A and In-N-Out...

One nugget that I didn't add to the article is kind of funny.
    Laura Sperber (Legend) and I carpooled to lot viewing the first morning after arriving. Well, we needed breakfast, so we stopped at Chick-Fil-A across the street from In-N-Out. I was a bad influence as I showed Laura where she could get a daily Diet Lemonade...while I settled for my Diet Coke. I wish I could share the conversations from that car ride!

John Brush
  • CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBatDavidLawrence said:

@JBatDavidLawrence said:

@CoinJunkie said:

One nugget that I didn't add to the article is kind of funny.
    Laura Sperber (Legend) and I carpooled to lot viewing the first morning after arriving. Well, we needed breakfast, so we stopped at Chick-Fil-A across the street from In-N-Out. I was a bad influence as I showed Laura where she could get a daily Diet Lemonade...while I settled for my Diet Coke. I wish I could share the conversations from that car ride!

Feel free to PM me! o:)

Major Varieties – Countdown 38

I started this countdown list for Major Varieties in mid-April. When watching a mega collection, there are hundreds of sub-sets in the collection like these variety sets. At my last check, The Hansen Collection is 1659 sets strong! This new coin addition not only counts down the Complete Major Varieties Set to 38 remaining, but maybe more importantly, this new addition completes the Early Dimes Classic, Circulation Strikes (1796-1837) set. This set requires 46 coins (basic set is 30 coins). PCGS describes the set as: The first United States dime was issued in 1796 while George Washington was still in office as President. This Draped Bust, Small Eagle type was only issued for two years, followed by the Heraldic Eagle reverse of 1798-1807. The Capped Bust coins of 1809-1837 complete this series. The Classic Set adds 16 coins to the Basic Set, and includes most of the major varieties listed in the Redbook including all the Large and Small Date varieties, the variations in the number of reverse stars and berries and the large and small 10C on the reverse. While there are no extraordinary rarities in this set, the 1804s and the 13-star reverses of 1797 and 1798 will prove the toughest coins to acquire in higher grade.

Also, this new addition completes Early Dimes with Major Varieties, Circulation Strikes (1796-1837) set. This set requires 52 coins (an additional six). PCGS describes the set as: The first United States dime was issued in 1796 while George Washington was still in office as President. This Draped Bust, Small Eagle type was only issued for two years, followed by the Heraldic Eagle reverse of 1798-1807. The Capped Bust coins of 1809-1837 complete this series. Stepping up to the Major Varieties Set from the Classic set adds another six coins for a total of 52 pieces. Fortunately, none of the additional varieties are extremely rare, so tackling this set should not prove much more difficult than the Classic Set.

I cannot confirm, but I wonder if this is the first time these sets have been completed. We know that Mr. Hansen is the first and only collector to complete the certified sets in the PCGS registry. In the 52-piece set, Mr. Hansen leads the registry at 100% complete followed by Louis Eliasberg at 84.62% and The Norweb Family at 86.54%. There are a couple other collectors including Dimeman at least 80% complete while attempting to complete the set at a lower grade, 25-35. There is not but a few fish in this pool, and no one is making a big splash to overtake Mr. Hansen. His closes competitor is himself. His second set is 69.23% complete with GPA 54.87. If you have not had a chance to view this 52-coin set, here is a quick link.

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/half-dimes/early-dimes-major-sets/early-dimes-major-varieties-circulation-strikes-1796-1837/181

1798/7 Capped Bust Dime, JR-2, 13-Star Reverse MS63, Ex: Pogue, CAC Approved

Mr. Hansen saved one of the better dimes for last. He has been waiting to add this coin since August 2018 (when the registry sets were one coin short of being 100%). It is very rare that I will reach out to John Brush for comments in my updates. When I saw this coin, I did reach out to him. This is JB’s description of this long wait: It was actually offered to us three years ago with the 1802 Half Dime, but we passed as it was just too pricey. Then again it was offered to us on memo from Legend a year ago or so. I think we made an offer on it at some point for a break-even or a small profit from what it brought in Pogue, but I don’t recall completely….. So, it was just shipped to us at a small savings from the Pogue sale and we wanted to complete the major variety early dime set, so it worked out this time. We’d probably have preferred a lower grade example for the variety, but we never could find one, so this was the only piece that could finish that set.

I reached out to my Capped Bust expect for an opinion. He offered: Very tough redbook variety. Owned most recently by Quint, who had a superb early dime set until he broke it up and started selling coins from it last year. Stacks Bowers at the Pogue sale describe the coin as: “one of the rarest of the bust dime ‘type’ coins” in the JR book, this rare die variety also happens to be a Guide Book variety, the sole marriage combining the 1798/7 overdate obverse with a 13 Star reverse.

The Hansen coin is believed by some experts and collectors to be best. According to SBG: This is the only example graded MS-63 by PCGS and one of just three Mint State pieces certified by them. The JR book notes “at most, three may claim MS-60 or better condition.” Ed Price had a strong positive opinion on the coin: “The dime book lists the Bareford coin as the finest the authors had seen. I owned that coin and the present piece for several years. This example that I retained is clearly superior, and is the finest I have seen or heard of.” This comment is from an owner that had two of the best coins.

SBG describes the coin as: Cartwheel luster spins around both sides like a silver propeller, showcasing the frosty freshness of the surfaces. The obverse shows light toning, just a hint of gold over silver gray, while the reverse reveals a dappling of other subtle colors and sedate stripes of copper and blue. As is standard for JR-2, the central obverse is quite softly defined and the central reverse is similar. This very rare die marriage apparently met its demise early, condemned by several die clashes whose vestiges remain visible on this coin. Only trivial hairlines are seen, along with just a few scattered minor marks, including a short scrape on Liberty’s upper chest and two shallow abrasions at the central reverse.

In the Pogue sale, the coin fetched an Auction Record at $199,750. PCGS Price Guide values the coin at $225,000. We know from JB’s comments that after three years, they agreed to price with a “small savings from the Pogue sale”. It is not my money so it is easy for me to say this; “the coin is well worth price to top off these difficult sets with this special specimen”.

1798/7 Capped Bust Dime, JR-2, 13-Star Reverse MS63
    PCGS, POP 1/0, CAC Approved
    Certification #06506337, PCGS #38751
    PCGV: $225,000 / Private Sale
    Provenance: F.C.C. Boyd Collection - Numismatic Gallery 1/1945:431 - Stuart Levine, sold privately in 8/2002 - Ed Price Collection - Heritage 7/2008:1418, $103,500 - D. Brent Pogue Collection - Stack's/Bowers and Sotheby's 5/2015:1038, $199,750 – D.L. Hansen Collection

The Major Varieties Set is an expansion of the PCGS Basic Set in The D. L. Hansen Collection. To complete, this set would require the 2821 basic coins plus an additional 439 Major Varieties Coins. With this addition, there are 38 remaining coins in this quest. The first two coins are not collectable, so the completion of this set would be 99.94%. PCGS describes this set as: Every classic U.S. coin in Circulation Strike from 1792 through 1964, every date, every Mintmark, every major variety, this set is the ultimate challenge. A collection of this size could take decades to assemble in high grade.

Top 10
    1797 Half Eagle "Large Eagle, 15 Stars" (1 Known – Permanently in Smithsonian) Uncollectable
    1797 Half Eagle "Large Eagle, 16 Stars" (1 Known – Permanently in Smithsonian) Uncollectable
    1861 Double Eagle "Paquet" (2 Known)
    1804 Eagle "Plain 4 Proof" (3 Known)
    1849-C Gold Dollar "Open Wreath" (4 Known w/ one defective)
    1958 Small Cent "Doubled Die Obverse” (3 Known)
    1793 Wreath Large Cent "Strawberry Leaf" (4 Known w/ VG Finest Known)
    1795 Large Cent "Jefferson, Lettered Edge" (5 Known w/ VF Finest Known)
    1810 Half Eagle "Large Date, Small 5" (5 Known w/ AU Finest Known)
    1795 Large Cent "Reeded Edge" (8 Known w/ VG Finest Known)

Next 10
    1842 Half Dollar "Small Date, Rev of 1839" (Survival est. 10 w/ 1 Mint State)
    1804 Quarter Eagle "13 Star Reverse" (Survival est. 11 w/ AU Finest Known)
    1831 Half Eagle "Large 5D" (Survival est. 22 all varieties w/ 1 Mint State)
    1797 Half Cent "Gripped Edge" (Survival est. 13 w/ VG Finest Known)
    1831 Half Eagle "Small 5D" (Survival est. 22 all varieties w/ 3 Mint State)
    1853-D Half Eagle "Medium D" (Survival est. 15 w/ AU Finest Known)
    1830 Half Eagle "Large 5D" (Survival est. 27 all varieties w/ 5 Mint State)
    1830 Half Eagle "Small 5D" (Survival est. 27 all varieties w/ 5 Mint State)
    1828 Half Eagle "Normal Date" (Survival est. 14 w/ 5 Mint State)
    1793 Chain Large Cent "Periods" (118 PCGS Certified w/ 3 Mint State)

Last 18
    1797 Half Eagle "Small Eagle, 15 Stars" (Survival est. 20 w/ 1 Mint State)
    1820 Half Eagle "Curl Base 2, Sm Letters" (Survival est. 14 w/ 8 Mint State)
    1819 Half Eagle "5D/50" (Survival est. 17 w/ 8 Mint State)
    1800 Dollar "Wide Date, Low 8, AMERICAI" (Survival est. 25 w/ AU Finest Known)
    1840-D Half Eagle "Small D" (Survival est. 25 w/ AU Finest Known)
    1798/7 Eagle "7X6 Stars" (Survival est. 25 w/ 3 Mint State)
    1812/1 Half Dollar "Large 8" (Survival est. 35 w/ AU Finest Known)
    1795 Large Cent "Jefferson, Plain Edge" (Survival est. 45 w/ VF Finest Known)
    1820 Half Eagle "Curl Base 2, Large Letters" (Survival est. 32 w/ 20 Mint State)
    1839 Half Dollar "Receeded Edge, Small Letters” (Survival est. 50 w/ 4 Mint State)
    1833 Half Eagle "Large Date" (Survival est. 37 w/ 19 Mint State)
    1834 Half Eagle "Capped Bust, Plain 4" (Survival est. 37 w/ 19 Mint State)
    1798 Quarter Eagle "Wide Date" (Survival est. 50 w/ 8 Mint State)
    1794 Large Cent "Starred Reverse" (Survival est. 60 w/ AU Finest Known)
    1807/6 Large Cent "Small 7" (Survival est. 100 w/ AU Finest Known)
    1798 Dollar "Large Eagle, Knob 9, 4 Lines" (Survival est. 125 w/ 2 Mint State)
    1795 Half Dollar "Small Head" (Survival est. 450 w/ 1 Mint State)
    1887/6 Three Cent CN (Survival est. 800 w/ 750 Mint State)

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Re: Varieties

Hansen's task could become a bit more complicated and he could be missing a fair number of additional coins soon. Some sets that he has at 100% might not be at 100% within a couple of months. ;)

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

Early US Issue, Major Variety Feature

Perception. Sometimes we make opinions when we see something. Sometimes we tend to create an opinion when don’t see something. My perception for the last twelve months has been that Mr. Hansen lost focus on completing Major Variety sets, and the challenge to have one of everything. This was due to the fact that we did not see much activity over a period of time. Well, we saw a pretty noteworthy Major Variety addition a couple days ago. Along with the new addition, John Brush shared some background information on what took place to obtain this “one” rarity. So, I now believe it was not a loss of focus, rather patience and endurance to find the right coin, at the right time, and for the right price. All three of these things don’t always come together at a desired pace.

I have been thinking, what is the best way to see the trees in the forest? The Hansen Collection is massive, and when looking at circulation strikes with Major Varieties, there are 3260 coins in the complete set. That is 163 blue boxes just for pre-1964 issues. So today, let’s look at the Early Coinage which is the years 1792 to roughly 1839. I may not be able to prove, but I believe Brett Pogue assembled the greatest basic set of all times, although, he did not have all the major varieties. For example, I cannot find any proof that he owned one of the four known 1793 Strawberry Leaf Cents. Hansen does not own one either, but his collection is in-progress. If he finds the right coin, at the right time, and for the right price, he just might add one to his collection.

After some reflection, I thought a good way to look at the Early Major Varieties in Hansen Collection by denomination. There are 10 different denominations starting with the Half Cent and concluding with the Eagle. Interesting enough, there is not a PCGS Registry Set for this group of early coinage. I cannot explain why other that stating the fact there is not one. So, let’s look at the 10 denominations and understand the status for The D.L. Hansen Collection. Of the 10 denominations, Mr. Hansen has completed three, including Half Dimes, Dimes, and Quarter Dollars. Two others, Half Cents and Eagles, he is only one coin away. He has to two coins remaining in each of the Dollar and Quarter Eagle sets. Three coins away on the Half Dollar. The final two sets are the One Cent and Half Eagle. The one cent is seven coins and the Half Eagle is 10 to 14 depending how we what to count them. The Half Eagle denomination is the only one that is not 100% collectable. The two unique 1797 Large Eagle Major Varieties are impounded in the Smithsonian National Numismatic Collection. Let’s look at the first five denominations.

Early Half Cents with Major Varieties, Circulation Strikes (1793-1835) - Not a Registry Set

I try not to be critical of PCGS and the Registry. That is like criticizing a tender, juicy, perfectly cooked T-Bone steak for the bone being too big. The beef is still the greatest. I feel similar about PCGS. But why this set does not exist, I cannot explain. I would consider early half cents as: Liberty Cap Half Cent (1793 - 1797), Draped Bust Half Cent (1800 - 1808), and Classic Head Half Cent (1809 - 1836). If you desire at registry set of the early half cents, then you have include the eight Braided Hair Half Cent (1840 - 1857) coins or set will be incomplete. Maybe the reason being there is no demand for only the early set. The early half cents requires 46 coins, and the comment PCGS provides for the larger set is: The half cent was one of the first denominations struck at the new United States Mint. This coin was first made in 1793, only months after the Large cents were introduced. It is a series filled with rarities, including both major varieties of 1796. Full red examples are almost impossible from the early years, and it’s not until the 1828 issue that the first MS65RD specimen still survives. Many dates of this series exist in a proof-only format, but some collectors include those issues with their mint state collection.

The D.L. Hansen Collection is 97.82% (45/46) completed with one coin remaining the 1797 Gripped Edge. Mr. Hansen needed five coins before picking up four of them in the StacksBowers’ March 2020 Auction - Rarities Night, Featuring the ESM Collection of Half Cents. The 1797 Gripped Edge ESM Specimen realized $90,000 and Mr. Hansen did not acquire. The ESM Specimen was a G6 PCGS grade and there are a couple better including the finest VG10 PCGS grade. (For more details, look back at the updates on the ESM purchases)

Early Large Cents with Major Varieties (With the four Ultra Rarities), Circulation Strikes (1793-1839) - Not a Registry Set

Same as with the Half Cents, there is not a set for the early cents only that consist of: Flowing Hair Large Cent (1793 - 1796), Draped Bust Cent (1796 - 1807), Classic Head Cent (1808 - 1814), and Coronet Head Cent (1816 - 1839). If you desire at registry set of the early cents, then you have include the 33 Braided Hair Cent (1839 - 1857) coins or set will be incomplete. The early cents requires 114 coins, PCGS describes the set including the Braided Hair Cents as: This is the fantastic complete 1793 to 1857 large cent series, plus the four ultra-rarities of the series. The 1793 Strawberry Leaf (4 known), 1795 Reeded Edge (7 known), 1795 Jefferson Head Lettered Edge (5 known), and the 1795 Jefferson Head Plain Edge (about 30 known) are prohibitively rare, so much so that we have two versions of the Large Cents with Major Varieties, Circulation Strikes (1793-1857) set, one without the four ultra-rarities, and one with.

This is the largest set by required coins for 10 denominations. The D.L. Hansen Collection is 93.85% (107/114) completed. The four ultra-rarities mentioned above are the highlight coins remaining. There is an upcoming opportunity for Mr. Hansen to pick a few or all of the remaining needed coins in StacksBowers August 2020 Auction at Rarities Night, featuring the ESM Collection of Large Cents. He scored very well with the ESM coins in the March Half Cent Auction, winning 80%, four out of five needed. In the upcoming Large Cent Auction, the 1793 Strawberry Leaf Cent is PCGS Price Guide Value at $800,000 is the main attraction. At the writing of this feature, the bidding was at $140,000 with a little less than a month to go.

Early Half Dimes with Major Varieties, Circulation Strikes (1792-1837)

The basic set of half dimes from this era is a major numismatic undertaking, but when the varieties are added the collection grows to even greater stature. While there are still only one 1792 half disme and one 1802 half dime in the set, there are now three 1796 pieces, three 1797 varieties, two 1800 coins and two 1803 specimens plus a handful of additional Capped Bust examples. There is 45 years of American history here in a panorama of intriguing and beautiful designs. A great set! (PCGS)

The D.L. Hansen Collection is 100% (29/29) completed. The set was completed 12/28/2018. One of the highlights of this denomination is the half million dollar 1796 “LIKERTY” MS67+. The coin is from the Texas Collection - Christies 5/1989:98, $198,000 - Knoxville Collection - Jay Parrino (The Mint) - D. Brent Pogue Collection - Stack’s/Bowers/Sotheby’s 5/2015:1005, $411,250. There are four PCGS certified POP 1/0 specimens in the set including multiple coins from Pogue, Simpson and Eliasberg Collections.

Early Dimes with Major Varieties, Circulation Strikes (1796-1837)

The first United States dime was issued in 1796 while George Washington was still in office as President. This Draped Bust, Small Eagle type was only issued for two years, followed by the Heraldic Eagle reverse of 1798-1807. The Capped Bust coins of 1809-1837 complete this series. Stepping up to the Major Varieties Set from the Classic set adds another six coins for a total of 52 pieces. Fortunately, none of the additional varieties are extremely rare, so tackling this set should not prove much more difficult than the Classic Set.

The D.L. Hansen Collection is 100% (52/52) completed. The set was completed just recently on 7/2/2020. The completion of this denomination was the catalyst for this feature. This is the third early major variety denomination set that Mr. Hansen has completed in this quest. The $200,000 1798/7 “JR-2, 13-Star Reverse” MS63 Specimen was the final addition. This is another Pogue coin with a rich history: F.C.C. Boyd Collection - Numismatic Gallery 1/1945:431 - Stuart Levine, sold privately in 8/2002 - Ed Price Collection - Heritage 7/2008:1418, $103,500 - D. Brent Pogue Collection - Stack's/Bowers and Sotheby's 5/2015:1038, $199,750. There are two PCGS certified POP 1/0 specimens and six other coins tied for the finest. The set has multiple specimens from the Pogue Collection.

Early Quarters with Major Varieties, Circulation Strikes (1796-1838)

The classic 1796 quarter starts off this historic set that is overflowing with rarities. After you capture the first prize, you'll be looking for the 1804, 1823/2, and many other toughies. This set covers the Draped Bust and Capped Bust eras, from George Washington through Andrew Jackson. In any grade this is a set that you can treasure forever.

The D.L. Hansen Collection is 100% (31/31) completed. The set was completed 11/21/2017. The quarter dollar set was the first early denomination with Major Varieties completed in The D.L. Hansen Collection. This set is highlighted with three PCGS certified POP 1/0 specimens, 1822 “25/50C”, 1831 “Small Letters” and the 1835 Quarter Dollar. These three coins alone are valued at $300,000. There are four other coins that are tied for finest to round out this amazing set.

Summary

As most collectors know, when you get close to completing a set, it requires patience. Of the these first five sets with three completed, Mr. Hansen is very close to completing the fourth set, the Half Cents. Will he patiently wait on obtaining the last needed 1797 Gripped Edge PCGS VG10 specimen? Time will tell. In the meantime, he will have the opportunity the pickup several needed Large Cents in the upcoming SBG Auction. Will he able to place a winning bids on any of the needed lots? How many? No one know. This is fascinating to watch.

To be continued ….

• dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Currin said:

By the way, there is an slot reserved in this box behind the lifted 1821. You just can no see it in the picture.

I wonder what coin that could be >:)

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭✭

After the steal that was the 1854-S $5, I would guess a deal could be reached on the 1822 $5

• GoBustGoBust Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really nice job with breaking the Hansen set down into ten pre-1840 variety sets. The gold really is amazing, not to loose sight of the amazing dimes. Really breathtaking to see the depth in these early years before the explosion of coin collecting onto the American psychy. I suspect he will finish them all. I don't really consider museum only coins as part of sets for all practical purposes, although they are amazing artifacts. Ancient artifact collectors would need a Rosetta stone for their collections if that was the expectation

edited July 16, 2020 7:25PM

Another Early Dime Update

This is the second Early Dime Update in the past couple weeks. The first was a very significant addition of a coin for an empty slot in The D. L. Hansen Collection of Early Major Variety Coinage. The coin was the 1798/7 “JR-2, 13-Star Reverse” MS63 Specimen. The addition was significant because it completed Mr. Hansen’s 52-piece Early Half Dimes with Major Varieties, Circulation Strikes (1792-1837). Now, this new coin is an upgrade to the collection. The coin replaces an 1804 10C “13-Star Reverse”, Certification #04190263 in XF40 Condition with POP 1/7. The set now has only four coins graded below AU58: 1797 “13 Stars” and 1805 “5 Berries” graded at XF40. The lowest graded coin is the 1798 “Small 8” graded VF20. The fourth and final coin is a PCGS POP 2/0 Specimen, 1829 “Curl Base 2” graded VF35. The 1829 variety is unheard in a higher grade condition. This may one day be the lone example of a highly circulated coin in the 52-piece set.

Coin expert Ron Guth described the 1804 10C “13-Star Reverse” as: In 1804, the Coiner at the US Mint used two different reverse dies to produce Dimes. The most obvious difference between the two dies is the number of stars on the reverse in the field above the eagle. The first variety (JR-1) has 13 stars; the second variety (JR-2) has 14 stars. Both varieties are rare, but he 14 Stars variety enjoys a big premium over the 13 Stars variety in top condition. The highest 13 Stars graded by PCGS include two at the AU53 (now AU55), with none finer. Any example of an 1804 Dime is the mark of an advanced collection. The top condition PCGS coin for the 13 stars are two AU55 specimens. One is the Pittman/Price/Pogue Specimen and the other is this Stack/Hansen Specimen. PCGS Price Guide values the13 stars in PCGS AU55 at $195,000. When looking at the 14 stars, there are two PCGS certified POP 2/0 specimens, with one being the Eliasberg/Pogue/Hansen Specimen. Mr. Guth is correct; there is a premium for the 14 stars, which is valued at $300,000. The pair of Hansen 1804 dimes are valued at a half million dollars collectively! STOP! And think about that for a couple seconds.

1804 Capped Bust Dime, 13-Star Reverse AU55, Ex: James A. Stack

If Mr. Hansen’s goal was to have the nicest pair of 1804 dimes, then he may have achieved. The new 13 star coin is a very nice compliment to his existing 14 star Pogue specimen. Neither coin is graded in MS condition, but both are on top of the PCGS Pop charts. The coin last appeared in Heritage’s 2009 (CSNS) US Coin Auction in Cincinnati, OH. The coin was described as: The 1804 is a key date among early dimes with only 8,265 pieces produced. This JR-1 is one of the finest examples extant; in fact, it may well be tied with one other as the third finest known; near the top of the Condition Census as indicated by the population data from NGC and PCGS. This variety is apparently unknown in Mint State, and it is indicated as probably non-existent in Uncirculated in the JR reference. Good portions of mint luster are still apparent on each side of this piece, giving the turquoise and golden-rose surfaces a vibrancy one seldom sees on dimes of this date. A few shallow crisscrossing scratches are located on the lower right portion of the obverse. This impressive dime was previously sold as part of the James Stack Collection, by the Stack's auction company of New York; and later by American Numismatic Rarities, where it was partially described as follows: "A rarity in any grade, and in high demand not only as a collectible silver issue of this magic date but also the key date of the early dime sequence. ... This specimen comes from the James A. Stack collection, a lesser-known pedigree in the grand scheme but an important one to those familiar with the overall quality of that fine cabinet. Off the market for more than a decade, and now offered to a new generation who have longed for the chance to find this rare dime in superb grade."

In the 2009 Heritage Auction, the coin was graded AU55 NGC. The coin was sold as being from The Joseph C. Thomas Collection, and realized $63,250. As some coins go down, others go up. This one has gone up in value. According to the provenance given, the coin also appeared twice before, in Stack's Auction in 1990 and American Numismatic Rarities Auction in 2003. In the 2003 auction, the coin realized $25,300. I could not find auction results for the 1990 sale.

The coin was recently marketed by Rare Coin Wholesalers. It appears to me this company has become a pipeline for high end coins going into the Hansen Collection. They headlined the coin as: 13 STARS REVERSE. TIED WITH POGUE COIN FOR HIGHEST GRADED AT PCGS. The 13 Star Pogue Specimen is in the JRCSLM32 Registry Set. The Hansen 13 star coin was offered for $195,000 on the RCW website in early June. Also, RCW offered the coin on eBay with an ask price of $204,800. This is another high end upgrade to the D. L. Hansen Collection.

Hansen’s Pair of 1804 Capped Bust Dimes

1804 Capped Bust Dime, 13-Star Reverse AU55
    PCGS, POP 2/0, Gold Shield
    Certification #36657800, PCGS #4474
    PCGV: $195,000 / Private Sale
    Provenance: James A. Stack Collection - Stack's 1/1990:12 - American Numismatic Rarities "Classics Sale" 7/2003:342, $25,300; Joseph C. Thomas Collection, Heritage’s 2009 (CSNS) US Coin; D.L. Hansen Collection

1804 Capped Bust Dime, 14-Star Reverse AU58
    PCGS, POP 2/0, CAC Approved
    Certification #06936157, PCGS #38767
    PCGV: $300,000 / $252,000
    Provenance: S.H. Chapman “David S. Wilson Collection” 3/1907:694 - John M. Clapp Collection - John H. Clapp Collection, sold intact in 1942 - Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr. Collection, found by his son, Richard Eliasberg, circa 2004-2005 in a box full of junk coins - Heritage 1/2007:861, $161,000 - Ed Price Collection - Heritage 7/2008:1443, $632,500 - D. Brent Pogue Collection - Stack’s/Bowers/Sotheby’s 5/2015:1046, $329,000 - Kagin’s, Heritage August 2018 ANA, Rarities Night - D.L. Hansen Collection

• HashTagHashTag Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭

I’d just like to ask him how he finds, specifically a1879 trade dollar in such a high grade? I’ve looked for two years!

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 16, 2020 4:50PM

@HashTag said:
    I’d just like to ask him how he finds, specifically a1879 trade dollar in such a high grade? I’ve looked for two years!

He bought the T$1 1879 PR-68 Cam in the 2019 FUN auction of the Greensboro collection.
    See the proof trade dollar feature in this thread on January 2019:
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/12208256/#Comment_12208256

• HashTagHashTag Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭

@yosclimber thank you I guess. As I wipe away tears and drool I’ve come to realize a 66 is the best I’ll ever get. That coin is the most amazing coin I’ve ever seen! Seriously, thank you for your time and help showing me the light and article.

edited July 17, 2020 8:19PM

@yosclimber said:

@HashTag said:

He bought the T$1 1879 PR-68 Cam in the 2019 FUN auction of the Greensboro collection.
    See the proof trade dollar feature in this thread on January 2019:
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/12208256/#Comment_12208256

This is a nice walk down memory lane. The 2019 FUN auction is when Mr. Hansen purchased the Eliasberg 1885 Trade. The feature included “The Pair” and a detail discussion on the Hansen Trade Dollars that are three sets deep. He still have all the Trade Dollar sets in tact. It is very cool collection. Thanks Yos for providing the link. A very nice re-read.

edited July 18, 2020 12:57AM

@HashTag said:
    @yosclimber thank you I guess. As I wipe away tears and drool I’ve come to realize a 66 is the best I’ll ever get. That coin is the most amazing coin I’ve ever seen! Seriously, thank you for your time and help showing me the light and article.

Thanks, although it was a lot faster for me to find the article and link to it than the time it took to create it.

So it is really @Currin that we thank for his dedicated work to show developments in this exceptional collection!

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2020 1:44AM

Currin. You were 100% correct with your assessment (prediction) of the Top MS Jefferson nickel set that just finished auctioning off. Virtually (maybe 0) no “bidding wars”, prices overall consistent with estimates (in many cases below), super hard coins (including pop 1’s) selling for very, very “fair” prices. One of the Very best pop 1 coins in the set being a passed lot. Wow.

And, I thought the auction house wrote some good copy on the lot descriptions too.

As always, just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

@wondercoin said:
    Currin. You were 100% correct with your assessment (prediction) of the Top MS Jefferson nickel set that just finished auctioning off. Virtually (maybe 0) no “bidding wars”, prices overall consistent with estimates (in many cases below), super hard coins (including pop 1’s) selling for very, very “fair” prices. One of the Very best pop 1 coins in the set being a passed lot. Wow.

And, I thought the auction house wrote some good copy on the lot descriptions too.

As always, just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin

Mitch,
    I certainly agree with your comments. I tagged seven Jeffersons to watch that would improve the Hansen Collection. As you know, he has the top set already. Of the seven coins, a few of them were top pop 1. I don’t recall exactly how many. I do recall only one pre 1950 coin would improve his set. So, most the coins were post 1950. As I watched the live bidding, I was expecting to see at least a little more action than I did with these seven coin. If I recall, four of them were underachievers and one was passed! The 1943-P finished strong (only pre-1950 coin Mr. Hansen could use) and the 1954-S specimen hit the estimate. It really was disappointing to watch, but if you are a Jefferson Collector, it was a good night to pick up some great deals. Mr. Hansen upgraded only one Jefferson, 1955 MS67FS, POP 1/0. It was one of the underachievers.

It appear Mr. Hansen saw opportunity in the BigMo coins. He purchase more than I expected (he posted his wins last night). I will start reporting on the upgrades tomorrow. The BigMo coins appear to be where his focus was. I can understand and not at all surprised.

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

Currin. If your reporting of the Jefferson nickels is spot on, in my opinion Mr. Hansen missed a big opportunity by not winning the 1961-D for a touch higher than it fetched (that is, next bid or two). It’s about as nice as they come (ex.Stacks auction a decade or two ago where I won it). The 1955 was quite the bargain though and they also don’t come any nicer. And while the 1954-S did achieve the estimate, the guide was quite a bit higher on the coin in years past than it is now and the full “1 grade under” coin fetched over $30,000 at auction a few years ago. The big pop 1 “pass”, was one of the coolest Jefferson nickels I ever handled. The auction company was right on when they said (paraphrasing) it will likely be the finest known coin for the date forever.

So, your overall assessment of “disappointing to watch” I can not disagree with.

Just my 5 cents.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • PerfectionPerfection Posts: 180 ✭✭✭

Good morning the Big Mo Collection was Outstanding. What a good set to collect! Congrats to Laura for helping building it and also a wonderful sale.
    Congrats also to John B. and DLH for acquiring quite a few wonderful coins. I want to thank them for not bidding higher
    on the 1863 1.00 67+CAM. I felt the price was a tad high. However 67's are quite rare, especially with no Motto. I have had the top CAC set for eight years I felt this coins belongs in it with my three other 67's.
    Mr. Perfection.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2020 7:58AM

@Currin said:
    The collection is being offered in two parts. The current consignment is Part I of the collection, and features 93 exquisite coins. The BigMo Collection features over 25 coins that are Top Pop at PCGS, including 14 that are the single finest known for the date and denomination. (LRCA) The Hansen team was successful in winning 9 of the 14 single finest known, POP 1/0 specimens. Eight of the POP 1/0 specimens was posted in the circulating strike set and one POP 1/0 specimen was updated in the proof finish set. All of the winning 18 coins are “solid” PCGS Condition Census Top Five specimens. Can you say that the Hansen team cherry picked 18 of the best coins? You could to say that. Did he get all the best coins? No, for the top two BigMo coins that realized low six figures, the Hansen team either passed or was out bided. As nice as BigMo coins were, I don’t think we saw any coin chasing or crazy bidding wars Thursday night. Well, maybe one.

@Perfection said:
    Congrats also to John B. and DLH for acquiring quite a few wonderful coins. I want to thank them for not bidding higher
    on the 1863 1.00 67+CAM. I felt the price was a tad high. However 67's are quite rare, especially with no Motto. I have had the top CAC set for eight years I felt this coins belongs in it with my three other 67's.
    Mr. Perfection.

Congrats to @DLHansen, @JBatDavidLawrence, and @Perfection for picking up some wonderful coins.

And congrats to Laura, Greg and @tradedollarnut for helping build the BigMo Collection!

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Currin it would be interesting to have a running total of dollars spent (including estimates) so that we could understand what it is costing him to build this incredible collection.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"

@Catbert said:
    @Currin it would be interesting to have a running total of dollars spent (including estimates) so that we could understand what it is costing him to build this incredible collection.

Catbert,
    That would make an interesting exercise, and would take some time. I have estimated the Hansen Collection, with all the duplicates to be north of 10,000 coins. I can not say it can’t be done, all the information is there.

A couple years ago you may recall, I did this for his Trade Dollar Proofs. His collection has three complete sets of 1873-1883, and one of them completed thru 1885. According to auction results and Price Guide information, the total value of the collection is $5,824,600. The top set including the 1884/1885 had PCGS total value of $5,310,000. PCGS Coin Guide places the value of the coins in his second set at $233,000. The third set value was a measly $119,000. This is only 35 coins out of 10,000. It is true the two coins, 1884 & 1885 are valued at $5,350,000. So, the 33 remaining coins are valued at $474,000. That’s $14,381 each and three sets deep.

He has 17 Million Dollar Club coins that I am aware in his published sets. These 17 coins, I would value at $25,000,000. It is really hard to say what the avg. value of the other 10,000 coins would be. At $25,000 each, then you are looking a collection in the excess of $250M. Someday Mr. Hansen may decide to publish the value of his collection. Until them, it just a guess.

$25k average per coin across the collection is likely too high.
    Even among the trade dollar proofs 1873-1883, that is 11 coins, so the per coin average is
    $21k in the second set and
    $10k in the third set.
    If we used a $10k per coin average, the total is down to $100M.

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yosclimber said:
    Even among the trade dollar proofs 1873-1883, that is 11 coins, so the per coin average is
    $10k in the third set.

There are a lot of cheapies in the moderns, but then again he did spend close to three quarters of a million dollars on two common date Mercury Dimes. It would be interesting to know his insurance value.

Upgrades from the BigMo Civil War Auction – Part 5

In this last installment of the coins that Mr. Hansen purchased from the BigMo sale, we will take a look at two coins from the year 1864 and one coin dated 1865. The two coins from 1864 are the 1864-S Quarter Dollar and the other is an 1864 MS68+ Gold Dollar. This gold dollar is an amazing coin. The last coin is an 1865-S MS66+ Half Dime. These coins complete the 18 coins that Mr. Hansen won in Legend’s Regency Auction 39. I was hoping some information on the BigMo Part 2 sale would be released before this last update. There was no mention of the Big Mo Part 2 in the upcoming Regency 40 Auction at The Bellagio in Las Vegas, NV. I hope it was just an omission in error.

As you have seen in the series of updates the past few days, Mr. Hansen and his team did an excellent job of placing winning bids in this exciting auction. Matthew Bell (Legend) summed the BigMo sale up this way: The BigMo Civil War Set started the auction off with a bang, as that set realized over a dozen record prices all on its own, attesting to how fresh and high quality the coins assembled in that collection were. By my count, Mr. Hansen won six of the twelve auction record setting BigMo Collection coins:

Lot 25. 10C 1862-S PCGS MS65 CAC, realized $58,750
    Lot 29. 50C 1862-S PCGS MS66 CAC, realized $47,000
    Lot 31. $1 1862 PCGS PR66+ CAC, realized $76,375
    Lot 40. H10C 1863-S PCGS MS67+ CAC, realized $23,500
    Lot 70. $1 1864 PCGS PR66 CAM CAC, realized $49,937.50
    Lot 81. H10C 1865-S PCGS MS66+ CAC, realized $30,550

He was successful in winning all but three of the PCGS POP 1/0 Mint State specimens from the collection. He was under bidder (I assume) on two San Francisco dimes, 1864-S PCGS MS66 CAC that realized $29,375 and 1865-S PCGS MS65+ CAC that realized $55,812.50. I not sure why these two upgrades got away, but I do know for both coins Mr. Hansen has a pair of second finest PCGS POP 1/1 specimens. We know that sometimes Dr. Link will pass on the top coin because he likes his coin better. I am not saying that is what we are seeing here with Mr. Hansen. I just find this to be interesting. The other BigMo PCGS POP 1/0 specimen that slipped from being shipped to the Hansen vault was the 1865 PCGS MS68+ CAC Gold Dollar. The coin was passed. I do not remember the open bid, but I think the opening bid and fees would have surpassed the six figure mark. The estimate was published as $100,000 to $110,000. He did win the 1864 PCGS MS68+ CAC Gold Dollar for $73,437.50, but passed on the 1865. So, at the end of the day, he took home with him eight of the eleven POP 1/0 Mint State specimens (72%). That is not bad.

If the BigMo Part 2 appear in Legend’s Regency 40, I did looked ahead to see what specimens would be available that could upgrade the Hansen Mint State Collection. Not to bore you more details than you need, I found eleven. They are 3) Quarter Eagles, 1) Three Dollar, 4) Half Eagles, 1) Eagle and 2) Double Eagles. Of the eleven, five are PCGS POP 1/0 specimens. There could be some additional proofs, but I did not perform that review. More fun to come?

We have discussed US Mint activities during the troubled years of the US Civil War and it appeared the country continued the press westward. In some of our previous discussions, it has been made obvious that the San Francisco Mint was producing all they could just to keep the west coast commerce functioning. To help address this issue, on July 02, 1864, Congress appropriated $300,000 to purchase a site and constructed buildings for the Branch Mint at San Francisco. Two days later, July 04, 1864, Congressional legislation established a branch mint at Dalles City, Oregon. The Mint was short-lived; Congress donated the building to the State of Oregon for educational purposes in March 1875. A coin with a “DC” mint mark would have been interesting. Some other activities for the US Mint occurred on April 22, 1864 when Congress authorized coinage of the two-cent piece. The Director of the Mint, with the approval of the Secretary of the Treasury, placed the motto “In God We Trust” on the bronze 2-cent piece. This was the first time the motto appeared on a coin. Lastly, on March 03, 1865, Congressional legislation authorized coinage of the three-cent coin.

The first coin is an 1864-S MS64 Quarter Dollar, Certification #11829684 is tied with one other coin as second finest PCGS certified. There is one PCGS finer, Gardner MS64+ Specimen. The best of the best is the NGC MS68 Eliasberg Specimen that sold for over $100K in 2006. The Hansen/BigMo coin realized a respectable $21,737.50 with an estimate: $24,000 - 26,500. An additional important fact on the 1864-S MS64 Quarter Dollar upgrade is that coin replaced an XF45 circulated grade coin. The 1865-S Half Dime, MS66+ Certification #21435037 is the finest PCGS certified. The coin realized $30,550 with an estimate: $20,000 - $22,500. This Ex: Gardner specimen is certainly worthy of a feature, but due to limited time and space, I was not able to feature all of Mr. Hansen’s POP 1/0 purchases. The 1864 MS68+ Gold Dollar is the feature coin for today.

1864 Gold Dollar MS68+, CAC, EX VIRGIL BRAND, DAVID AKERS, DR. STEVEN DUCKOR

This coin is pure numismatic royalty, in addition to its nirvana quality! (LRCA) I tried to figure out how this coin is nirvana quality? The best that I can surmise, the reference means "blowing out" or maybe "quenching". Do you know what the word may have meant in this context? In a description provided by Heritage in a 2015 sale, the coin was described as: A stunning Superb Gem with a historic provenance. Bingo, I certainly agree with that description! Our expert Ron Guth provided these comments: The 1864 Gold Dollar is a scarce, low-mintage date and it is one of the more challenging issues of the decade. Akers addressed the die clashing that affects many of the survivors, including those at the top end of the condition scale. Even the amazing PCGS MS69 example (now in the Simpson Collection) exhibits die clashing on the obverse. Gem and better examples are quite rare and fetch lots of money when they cross the auction block. For example, the Simpson MS69 sold for over $77,000 when it last appeared at auction in 2005. The estate of the late, great David Akers contained a superb example that sold as an NGC MS69 in 2014 for $58,750. Dr. Duckor, collectors extraordinaire, owns a PCGS MS68+ that he purchased from David Akers. These are three of the most impressive 1864 Gold Dollars one is likely to ever encounter.

This coin was described as having a historic provenance. So, true. The coin is traced to the Virgil Brand Collection and more recently to the Dr. & Mrs. Steven L. Duckor Collection. The Legend auctioneer described the coin as: This REMARKABLE SUPERB GEM is the second FINEST KNOWN (from an original small mintage of 5,900), following behind the other monster, the MS69 that is impounded in the Bob R. Simpson Collection. This coin is from one of most famed collections of all time, the Virgil Brand Collection, which was among the most extensive numismatic holdings ever assembled. This coin made its first modern appearance in the November 1983 Bowers and Merena sale of the Virgil Brand Collection. After that, it made its way to David Akers, one of the late 20th century’s most noted numismatic dealers and scholars. Sold to Dr. Steven L. Duckor, it was sold in the August 2015 sale of the Dr. Duckor Collection of Gold Dollars, where it was purchased by our consignor.

The coin realized $73,437.50. Legend’s estimated the coin at $65,000 - $70,000. So, we can see that Mr. Hansen was willing to step it up on 1864 MS68+, but not the 1865 MS68+. LRCA described the coin as: Our jaws dropped to the floor and locked when we examined this out of this world GEM. The surfaces are flawless and satiny smooth. All you can see with a strong glass are light unobtrusive mint made striations. A glowing luster beams from all over with faint traces of prooflike mirrors. Both sides are enriched by a gorgeous mix of totally original two tone gold/pale orange gold colors. There are NO spots or discolorations anywhere. Miss Liberty and the details are frosted and are sharply struck. The eye appeal is phenomenal! PCGS has graded only this one as MS68+ and the Bob Simpson coin is the one MS69 graded higher at PCGS. This coin last sold in the 2015 ANA auction for $70,500. Besides being perfect for GEM Civil War set or gold dollar set; it also works well in any box of 20. Or if you just wish to own a piece of numismatic royalty, this is the coin for you!

1864 Gold Dollar MS68+, CAC, EX VIRGIL BRAND, DAVID AKERS, DR. STEVEN DUCKOR
    PCGS POP 1/1, CAC Approved
    Certification #24463224, PCGS #7563
    PCGS Value Guide: $70,000 / realized $73,437.50
    Provenance: Virgil Brand Collection – (Bowers & Merena 11/1983) lot 30, realized $15,400 - David Akers - Dr. & Mrs. Steven L. Duckor Collection – (Heritage 8/2015) lot 4264, realized $70,500; BigMo Civil War Collection - The Regency Auction 39 (Legend 7/2020) lot 71, realized $73,437.50 - D.L. Hansen Collection

edited July 28, 2020 4:42PM

@cameonut2011 said:

@yosclimber said:
    $10k in the third set.

There are a lot of cheapies in the moderns, but then again he did spend close to three quarters of a million dollars on two common date Mercury Dimes. It would be interesting to know his insurance value.

My reference to the 10,000 coins really did not include post 1964 Moderns, Commemoratives, bullion, etc. We know as a fact that the Hansen Collection had 4103 coins on 6/30/2020 in the set below.

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/complete-sets/master-sets/u-s-coins-complete-set-major-varieties-circulation-strikes-proof-1792-1964/3247

If he has 4K coins in his pre 1964 CS&Proof complete set, then it is not hard for me to believe he has at least 6K in duplicates, triplicates, quadruplicates, etc. (as shown with Trade Dollars). If you give me high/low bet on 6K duplicates, I would pick high. When talking with Mr. Hansen last fall, he gave me an example where he had a Peace Dollar coin (1926 I think), but don’t me hold me to that date. The coin has a large number of finest certified, but no single finest. Mr. Hansen has 5-6 finest certified specimens. Not being sure which one he preferred to keep for his top set, he just kept them all in his collection for now. This coin may be valued at $5k, but he has $25-30K worth of coins for that one date.

As previously stated, I have no verifiable knowledge of the value of his inventory or collection. Is there a difference in inventory vs collection? I can not confirm the collection is valued at $250M, but I am thinking it is closer to $250M than it is to $100M. I think his top 500 coins may be worth close to $100M. Also, I know he has duplicates that are valued at more the $100K each. I have seen a couple of them offered for sale.

• SrotagSrotag Posts: 23 ✭✭

@yosclimber said:
    $10k in the third set.

Probably best to use a median value rather than average value. That strips out the distortion caused by the very low and very high priced coins.

• david3142david3142 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Srotag said:

@yosclimber said:
    $10k in the third set.

Probably best to use a median value rather than average value. That strips out the distortion caused by the very low and very high priced coins.

If you are multiplying the average by the number of coins to get to a total value then the median is irrelevant. Only the mean matters.

edited July 29, 2020 4:53PM

@Currin said:
    ... Of the three coins that were remaining, the ultra-rare and controversial 1850 proof piece last came to auction in January 2013. As PCGS PR60 from Park Avenue Collection, this is the only piece to be certified by a TPG company. The only other coin is an unconfirmed piece in French National Library, apparently once part of a complete gold proof set.

The 1850 Proof set at the Bibliotheque Nationale is well documented, and at least the 1850 PR-61 $20 held there has been confirmed by visits from US Numismatists like David Hall. We have discussed it in threads on the 1850 $20 proof.
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/993882/1850-proof-double-eagle-inquiry

So with the upcoming Simpson auctions, will this end the earlier debate of who has the greatest collection between Simpson and Hansen?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file