Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Hansen watch.

Comments

• Options
    CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 18, 2020 3:46PM

Posting below

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • Options

1844-O Half Dollar Doubled Date Upgrade

Today’s posting continues the theme of die varieties and states. One of the popular and highly collectable variety denominations is the half dollar. As we have discussed the past couple weeks, I am not sure of Dell Loy’s goal when it comes to varieties. According to John Brush, he is just having fun right now. This is not a new variety to the collection; rather it is showing up as an upgrade. I am not sure of the grade of the previous coin. The coin was seen in the Liberty Seated Half Dollars Complete Variety Set, Circulation Strikes (1839-1891) set. Currently, the set 82.50% complete. The total coins required are 160. For comparisons, the basic set requires 113 coins (47 additional varieties). If I still can do fourth grade math, The D. L. Hansen Collections has acquired 19 of the 47 additional coins needed. PCGS describes the set as: There's an old saying that "Variety is the spice of life" and it certainly applies to this long and challenging set. Just building the basic set will be an heroic accomplishment in the world of numismatics, especially when you find the 1853-O No Arrows and the 1878-S. Now, adding the varieties will be fun, educational and fulfilling. Wait until you try to find the 1847/6, to name but one.

Also, the Collection has an outstanding basic 1844-O Half Dollar with a PCGS MS64+ POP 1/1 Certification #33282305. The 1844-0 Double Date variety is pretty tough to find in uncirculated condition. Hansen upgrade in a fairly nice MS61 with PCGS POP 1/2. The record sale for this variety was The Eugene H. Gardner Specimen that realized $35,250 in a 2015 Heritage Auction. The specimen was a PCGS MS64. Heritage describes the variety as: WB-103, Die Pair 22. FS-301. R.4 as a variety in all conditions, but High R.7 in Mint State. Struck from a late state of the dies, with a faint die crack through D of UNITED into ST of STATES. Another die crack traces through ERICA of AMERICA and then to the edge, where it branches down through the arrowheads to the L of DOL. Population Data (4/15): PCGS reports just three Mint State examples -- one each in MS61 and MS63, and the present coin in MS64. NGC lists a single Uncirculated coin, an MS61.

1844-O Half Dollar WB-22, MPD FS-301 Doubled Date MS61

I have not determined where this coin was obtained. The coin was last publicly sold in Heritage’s June 2019 Long Beach Expo. It is very possible that Mr. Hansen or DLRC purchased the coin at Long Beach, and now it showing up as an update. The coin realized $4,320. The coin also was listed in Heritage’s January 2019 FUN Auction in Orlando. In that sale, the pedigree was attributed to The Big Sky Collection of Half Dollars.

In the June 2019 Heritage Auction, the coin was described as: This pleasing Mint State example displays slightly prooflike fields and is struck from an early die state. All four digits of the date were entered far too high (one-fourth in the rock support, three-fourths out) and then repunched in a more correct position with only a halfhearted attempt to efface the wayward numbers. The errant digits are bolder than on many examples, most evident at the final 4. The obverse shield outline and vertical stripes show slight doubling near the scroll. The fields are faintly iridescent with predominant shades of olive-brown plus gold and blue overtones. As typical for this New Orleans issue, the strike is a trifle weak on some of the star centers and the eagle's left talon. A small dig and a pair of shallow scrapes in the right obverse field serve as hallmarks to identify this attractive, softly lustrous Seated half.

Provenance: Ex: Chicago Signature (Heritage, 8/2015), lot 4059, realized $8,225; Central States Signature (Heritage, 4/2016), lot 3499, realized $7,637.50; Orlando FUN (Heritage 1/2019) lot 3447, Big Sky Collection, realized $4,320; Long Beach Expo (Heritage 6/2019), lot 3777, realized $4,320; D. L. Hansen Collection

1844-O Doubled Date Half Dollar, MS61 (Gold Shield)
    WB-103, Broadly Doubled All Four Digits
    Rare Mint State Example
    Certification #32433071, PCGS #145817, POP 1/2
    PCGS Price Guide Value: $7,500

D. L. Hansen Top Specimen
    1844-O Half Dollar MS64+ (Gold Shield)
    Certification #33282305, PCGS #6246, POP 1/1
    PCGS Price Guide Value: $10,500

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2020 6:37PM

@Currin said:
    ... He also has a sole finest type for Liberty Seated Half Dime, No Drap (1838-1840).

This is an interesting one, partly because it is the 1838 V-1 with a severely rusted obverse die,
    that I like to call "rusty arm" - the rust pits create many raised lumps, on Liberty's arm, shin and elsewhere.
    I suppose the bullseye toning helps prevent this from being the usual focal point....
    Technically it has great preservation, but often die defects like rusting or clash marks detract from the beauty
    and can yield a lower "market" grade, just like how attractive toning can add to the market grade.
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/half-dimes/liberty-seated-half-dimes-major-sets/liberty-seated-half-dimes-basic-set-circulation-strikes-1837-1873/publishedset/151679

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, the 1854-S Half Eagle sold to a floor bidder for 1.6 + the juice. Does anyone know who the bidder was?

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was almost as excited that Mr. Hansen won the 1854-S $5 as if I had won it myself.

• Options

I was hoping that was you. Now what is the deal on the 1822?

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBatDavidLawrence said:
    So, yes. The hole in the Eliasberg set that was the 1854-S $5 can now be officially filled. I was honored to represent Mr. Hansen tonight at the auction in California and we walked away with the coin with our bid of $1.6M. Frankly, we're shocked at the result of the auction. 99% of the coins in the sale have brought VERY strong money and deservedly so.
    The 1854-S fell to us in a perfect storm for Mr. Hansen and we are thrilled to be the next caretaker of this amazing coin.

As Mr. Hansen said, "this coin took a lot out of me tonight. I can't believe we won it! Wow."

Congrats to you both!

• Options

@dbldie55 said:

LOL. dldie give them tonight to enjoy this hugh acheivement before starting to stress over the 1822. Although, I would like to hear the deal too.

• Options
    JBatDavidLawrenceJBatDavidLawrence Posts: 500 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dbldie55 said:

That's a very good question that I wish I had the answer to...and I've asked enough to know it's time to stop asking. for now.

John Brush
    President of David Lawrence Rare Coins www.davidlawrence.com
    email: John@davidlawrence.com
    2022 ANA Dealer of the Year, Past Chair of NCBA (formerly ICTA), PNG Treasurer, Instructor at Witter Coin University, former Instructor/YN Chaperone ANA Summer Seminar, Coin World Most Influential, Curator of the D.L. Hansen Collection
  • Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats!! That was awesome to watch.

• Options

Did Hansen pick up any other items in the Pogue sale?

• Options
    earlyAurumearlyAurum Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭

The price paid for the 54-S seems like a great deal - finest and nice looking. I am surprised but not surprised as it requires at least 2 motivated collectors. I can't image a dealer buying for inventory especially at this time.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

@earlyAurum said:
    The price paid for the 54-S seems like a great deal - finest and nice looking. I am surprised but not surprised as it requires at least 2 motivated collectors. I can't image a dealer buying for inventory especially at this time.

It was a great deal! So much so that I was tempted to bid!

• Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:

@earlyAurum said:

It was a great deal! So much so that I was tempted to bid!

How many times?

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

Currin, many thanks for the continued coverage.

One could see Hansen getting down to about five coins, but some serious alignment in the stars would be required to get the whole set. Or when you get close enough maybe you make an insane offer on a "package deal" with all owners having to agree.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gazes said:
    I think the Hansen purchase of the 1854-s half eagle in AU 58+ is the perfect example of something that has been discussed previously. When someone is critical of a purchase or a non purchase by Hansen remember that this is a constantly changing collection. There are always upgrades and purchases that were not expected. So those critical of his not purchasing the previous 1854-s should see that what they perceived as a mistake is now a strength. Further, Hansen is showing he is not someone who can be held hostage fora particular coin---he can be patient. He can wait for the right coin and the right opportunity.

It’s my understanding that Mr. Hansen did purchase the previous 1854-S $5 in partnership, but very shortly thereafter, sold it.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@Gazes said:
    I think the Hansen purchase of the 1854-s half eagle in AU 58+ is the perfect example of something that has been discussed previously. When someone is critical of a purchase or a non purchase by Hansen remember that this is a constantly changing collection. There are always upgrades and purchases that were not expected. So those critical of his not purchasing the previous 1854-s should see that what they perceived as a mistake is now a strength. Further, Hansen is showing he is not someone who can be held hostage fora particular coin---he can be patient. He can wait for the right coin and the right opportunity.

It’s my understanding that Mr. Hansen did purchase the previous 1854-S $5 in partnership, but very shortly thereafter, sold it.

Let me rephrase---those critical that he did not keep it.

• Options
    earlyAurumearlyAurum Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭

who picked up the $2.5 1854-S and $2.5 1841. Both of them seemed to go at reasonable prices relative to rarity and condition. Do folks agree?

• Options

@jerseycat101 said:

@Gazes said:

@MFeld said:

Let me rephrase---those critical that he did not keep it.

Absolutely. People were critical of that sale. And his new acquisition proves that he is 2 steps ahead of all of us.

I could not agree more about the steps ahead comment. His collection is not a static group of coins. Just because a coin is purchased that some may be less than thrilled with does not mean that coin will end up being "the coin". If anyone has proven the ability to upgrade it is Mr. Hansen. Likewise, those critical of a missed opportunity should realize often there are more opportunities and sometimes you can make more opportunities. Mr. Hansen has shown he will not be pushed into a corner. Good for him!

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do the coins with the D.L. Hansen pedigree command premiums?

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

@dbldie55 said:
    Did Hansen pick up any other items in the Pogue sale?

Yes, I have no way to know the exact number, but at least 50 or more Pogue coins were picked up, including about 10 Washington Quarter replacements, approx. 16 Barber Quarters. There is a new Near-Gem Quarter Eagle. The beautiful 1863 Seated Dollar and a few other olds and ends. I would assume some coins were purchased for his #2 Sets, but I don’t watch them. I will plan to cover some of these purchases in the near future. They are on my list of to-do items.

• Options
    RedCopperRedCopper Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

To my knowledge the 1796 no pole
    Eliasberg coin was in the Oliver Jung type set . I believe it is offered for sale by Joe O’Conner unless High Desert bought it . The MS 62 1796
    No pole resides in the Don Partrick
    Collection and should be offered for sale after he passes.

• Options
    RedCopperRedCopper Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

High Desert owns the 1796 no pole
    from the Missouri cabinet
    graded ms 65 bn

• Options
    edited March 25, 2020 4:16PM

@RedCopper said:
    To my knowledge the 1796 no pole
    Eliasberg coin was in the Oliver Jung type set . I believe it is offered for sale by Joe O’Conner unless High Desert bought it . The MS 62 1796
    No pole resides in the Don Partrick
    Collection and should be offered for sale after he passes.

@RedCopper said:
    High Desert owns the 1796 no pole
    from the Missouri cabinet
    graded ms 65 bn

Thanks for additional information. Stewart, you are correct. High Desert has the finest BN, not the million dollar RB. That one is probably in that RedCopper guys’ set.

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oih82w8 said:

I'd love to have a couple of his 2nd set coins & I would pay a premium if he ever decides to dump some saints.
    So far as I know, that has not happened yet.

• Options

@ReadyFireAim said:

@oih82w8 said:

I'd love to have a couple of his 2nd set coins & I would pay a premium if he ever decides to dump some saints.
    So far as I know, that has not happened yet.

Interesting, He presently have over 500 coins for sale. There are a hand full on Liberty Double Eagles but no Saints. I will say this. For the longest of time, Mr. Hansen did not offer any of his duplicates for sale. I understand the main reason, while building his sets, he really don’t know what he wants to keep. This may be the situation with the Saints. The series may be in early development, so everything is a keeper right now.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful Seated Dollar!

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

There was a time that I would have paid $300k for that coin if it was all there. Price realized and no sticker makes me think it might not be. But great coin nonetheless

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:
    There was a time that I would have paid $300k for that coin if it was all there. Price realized and no sticker makes me think it might not be. But great coin nonetheless

Why didn’t the coin sticker?

• Options
    SrotagSrotag Posts: 23 ✭✭

@skier07 said:

@tradedollarnut said:

Why didn’t the coin sticker?

That's really pretty blue toning, but I'm not sure it comes naturally, especially that uniform over both sides of the coin. But I have not seen it inhand, so my guess is just that--a guess.

• Options

@Currin said:
    Another Pogue Update

It appears from the updates that D. L. Hansen Collection acquired a few Pogue Coins from a broad array of denominations. This update features a quarter eagle. It may have been the only quarter eagle in the purchase, and it is a nice one. The year 1870 may be the most difficult mint set of all times. PCGS describe the mint set this way: Few Mint Sets will prove more difficult to complete than the 1870. One gold coin, and one silver coin stand like twin titans blocking completion by all but the most dedicated (and wealthy) collectors. In silver, it is the 1870-S Silver Dollar. Mysterious in origin, only about a dozen examples are known, and they regularly trade will into six figures, and into seven figures for the best survivors. The mint in Carson City opened this year, and as would be the case for the next 23 years, most of its issues are rare. The inaugural year was no exception, and Quarter, Half and Dollar are all notable rarities. The Quarter in particular is extremely tough, bringing a five figure price in most circulated grades, and into six figures as Mint State is approached. PCGS has not graded any above AU55. The other titan is the 1870-CC $20, one of the great rarities of a series replete with rarities. Worth between a quarter and a half a million dollars almost regardless of grade, it is a legendary coin from a legendary mint by any measure. The fun doesn't end there though, as the Carson City Half Eagle and Eagle are also ultra rare and most desirable. We might add this set also includes the 1870-S $3, but its status goes even beyond a Titan. It is unique and in a permanent collection, so forget about this one. Its estimated value exceeds $5 million.

The PCGS 1870 32-piece set requires both 1870-S Half Dime and the 1870-S Three Dollar Gold. These unique coins are missing in the D. L. Hansen Collection. This registry set has not been started by Mr. Hansen, although the collection has the other 30 coins present and accounted for. The collection has the finest known and only known mint condition 1870-S Silver Dollar. The coin was last sold at public auction by Stacks in 2003 for $1,092,500. Mr. Hansen obtained this great specimen from the Legend Collection of Mint State Seated Liberty Dollars (Bruce Morelan, aka TDN). The fore mention Carson City specimens are very difficult to obtain in high grades. Hansen’s 1870-CC Half Eagle (F12), 1870-CC Quarter Dollar (XF40) and1870-CC Double Eagle (XF45) are the only Hansen’s 1870s graded less than AU55. This new addition results in the seventh PCGS Pop 1/0 specimens in the 32-piece set. Eight others are tied for finest PCGS certified. Fifteen of Hansen’s 30 1870s specimens are either finest or tied for finest. The big unknown is if, or when the two unique coins will make their way into this great collection.

1870-S Liberty Head Quarter Eagle, MS-64, CAC Approved

This coin was purchase in Stack’s Bowers March 2020 - The D. Brent Pogue Collection Part VII: Masterpieces of United States Coinage Auction. In the online sale information, no clues are given to where or when Mr. Pogue acquired the coin. The information given indicates “None reaches the Gem level. This solitary PCGS MS-64 is joined by a specimen certified at NGC at the same grade level.” CoinFacts Condition Census Report states there is one MS64 and five MS63 specimens. Expert David Akers comments: Very scarce as a date and extremely rare in full mint state. Most specimens are weakly struck and the typically available grade is only VF. I can recall seeing only two strictly mint state coins and perhaps four or five others that were "sliders". The grading of this date and other S Mint quarter eagles is often difficult due to the characteristically weak striking. In most cases, the usual "high points" were never there to begin with, and so one must grade these pieces by looking at the overall quality of the surfaces and the mint lustre. Even a full mint state example of most of these S Mint quarter eagles will have the appearance of being "worn". I don’t think this coin has the appearance of being worn. What do you think?

Stack’s Bowers described the coin this way: Boldly prooflike in finish, this beautiful example is enhanced by a full, vivid rose-orange patina. Both sides are sharply struck throughout the design with remarkably smooth surfaces for this scarce and conditionally challenging issue. A faint planchet drift mark (as made) on the reverse at the letter E in AMERICA serves a useful identifier for this Condition Census near-Gem.

This Pogue coin is another great compliment to the amazing Hansen 1870 mint set. SBG estimated the coin value between $18,000-$25,000. PCPG was given at $26,000. The coin sold for sold $34,800, so it appear Mr. Hansen was willing to pay a premium for this coin. I like this purchase and also where I see this difficult mint set is heading.

Outstanding Near-Gem 1870-S Quarter Eagle
    None Graded Finer, POP 1/0
    1870-S Liberty Head Quarter Eagle, MS-64, CAC
    Certification #32916366, PCGS #7812
    PCPG: $26,000 / Realized $34,800
    Provenance: From the D. Brent Pogue Collection, March 2020 Auction - The D. Brent Pogue Collection Part VII: Masterpieces of United States Coinage – Lot 7326

I thought this coin might be overlooked with all the highlights in the pogue auction as well as collectors sitting out due to the economy/virus. I was waiting to pounce if it were available for a discount. Although the price paid was strong, I do think the coin warranted it. In fact, in 10 years my hunch is that it will look like a bargain.

• Options
    MathandBikesMathandBikes Posts: 31 ✭✭✭

Thanks Currin! What an amazing thread. Keeps me very interested in coins while I’m currently saving for a big purchase over the next few month.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file