Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Anyone up for some Roosie Talk? - Thread #7

StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 11, 2019 6:33PM in PCGS Set Registry Forum

Hello Roosevelt Dime(s) fans, yes it's indeed time for another installment of Roosie Talk chapter #7. Lots to cover in the start of this chapter, and as always feel free to comment on any of the previous Roosie Talk threads that exist (No one ever does) as they are rich with Roosie gossip and an excellent source for news and pictures.

Now the big news as of late is the 1975-No/S PCGS PR68 dime. This dime recently sold in a Heritage Auction on Sept. 6th, 2019 for a staggering price of $380,000/$456,000. This is an increase from the PCGS price guide of $349,600 which was established way back on Sept. 1st, 2011. The new PCGS price says $516,000, yet when I put my mouse over the price it says $456,000 which is the final price from earlier this week. Does this really matter? IMHO, I think the price guide follows the coin and certainly as time goes on I believe in my heart this will be a 7 figure coin and added to the ranks of some of the elite coins. I believe the only thing holding it back is the mystique of it being a modern coin and it's always possible that more could be found.

Link to this beautiful dime: https://coins.ha.com/itm/proof-roosevelt-dimes/1975-10c-no-s-pr68-pcgs/a/1299-4715.s?type=lotlink--bidnotice-tracked-dailystatus

Moving on...

Several things are happening lately as @DANNY adds to his sets on what seems to be a daily basis and we're quite happy to have him back. His #1 silver set passed me like a parked car in the ranks and his #2 set is on its way to being a top 10 set.

The population report as it pertains to the Roosevelt Dime is in total shambles. The report doesn't even include the 2017-S Enhanced dime at all and the SP section is intermixed between the 65-67 dimes and the SF dimes of 2005-2010. A ton of newly graded PL dimes are missing as the pop report only shows 2 and it's been this way for months and months, not to mention several other problems which I won't list here. I called PCGS and had a conversation in depth at fixing this problem. I forwarded an Email with concerns and was assured it will be looked at. Thanks PCGS. B)

Hansen recently added the 1974 MS67FB dime to his set and rumors are that it sold for $10,000+. Not my place to say as it's not my coin or sale. If Hansen or JB would like to post over here, they are welcome to do so. BTW, Hansen has continued to add to his clad set but seems to have put his #1 silver set to bed (Hasn't added since 1/16/19). The coins may not be there or he's chasing bigger fish to fry. If that's the case @Halcyon should pass him at some point as he continues to be active.

It's also nice to see that several members are trading Roosies behind the scenes and I've been offered several dimes by a very good Roosie hunter back on the scene. Welcome back Mike.

Well, that's it for now, and I'll add more later. BTW, I bought a 1954-S recently! LOL

Later, Paul.

Comments

• ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

I wholeheartedly believe that The Halcyon Collection will secure the #1 position for the MS 1946-64 FB Set by the end of 2020. Think about it, at the time of the FUN show in January, @khayman was 102 points behind Hansen. Now he is 37 points behind. Can you believe that? It's going to happen.. be ready!

• onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭

Moving On...

All I can say about Danny is WOW!!!!. Nobody and that includes me have done what Danny has done in such a short period of time. MS Silvers, MS Clads, Varieties and Proofs. Is there a more dedicated and passionate Roosie collector out there? Danny I salute you.

Population reports.... No comment, No clue. Booo PCGS.

Hansen added the pop 1 1974 67FB at What number???? $$$$$$. Halcyon has the only graded 1978 so at this time neither can complete an FB set. I believe Halcyon slabbed his own coin while Hansen paid a rumored 5 figures for his. My moneys on Halcyon adding a 74P FB before Hansen adds a 78P FB. I would even bet Halcyon slabs his own. I don't believe Hansen has put his silver set to bed yet. He did acquire the 46D 68FB from the GC auction. He just hasn't put it in his Roosie set yet.
    That will pop him up another couple points over Halcyon.

I do believe Halcyon will over take Hansen in the silvers but that's still several years away. I don't think it will happen by the end of 2020.

Mike Is back... Yea, My only question is, MIKE why haven't you offered any of your newly slabbed clads to me. Whaaaat. your
    answer better be.... because you haven't made any pop 1/0's yet. When you pop that special coin give me a shout.

That's it for tonight, Thanks Paul for starting a new Roosie Thread

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

You guys are fun to watch. :)B)

@DIMEMAN said:

You know Jon, You are one of the You guys..... B)

edited September 12, 2019 4:04PM

@onlyroosies said:

@DIMEMAN said:

You know Jon, You are one of the You guys..... B)

Thanks Nick. I'm in the process of upgrading some of my Roosies, but will never be in the running with you guys......with the possible exception of the no-band variety sets.

• StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

@onlyroosies said:
    I don't believe Hansen has put his silver set to bed yet. He did acquire the 46D 68FB from the GC auction. He just hasn't put it in his Roosie set yet.

I do believe Halcyon will over take Hansen in the silvers but that's still several years away. I don't think it will happen by the end of 2020.

He must've heard you Nick as he added it today.
    Here is my newp since this new thread didn't have any pictures...

Later, Paul.

@Stooge It's still not in his right set. It's in one of his sets, but not the right set. Let's hope he doesn't read this thread!

@Stooge said:

@onlyroosies said:
    I don't believe Hansen has put his silver set to bed yet. He did acquire the 46D 68FB from the GC auction. He just hasn't put it in his Roosie set yet.

He must've heard you Nick as he added it today.
    Here is my newp since this new thread didn't have any pictures...

That's a real Beauty Paul!

@lablover said:
    You "guy's" do know that unless a Roosie is a FB and in the Top Sets, it's really not a Roosie, right?

Oh, those lowly roosies some of us have...

Yes....those are a couple of lowly Roosie's you have there. B);)

• Rob41281Rob41281 Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's one not in my registry as its in the "wrong" holder. Love the 2 different types of toning. Pics aren't the best.

• rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭

This lacks bands as well.

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003

I forget if this is bands or not.

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."

And one more with no bands. 😔

Thank God, finally found one that has bands.

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty coins posted so far!

• Rob41281Rob41281 Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erwindoc said:
    Pretty coins posted so far!

The coin I posted above is the one I received in a trade with you that started me on this path, first toned Roosie I owned. Now I’m up to around 40.

Nice coins guys! Bands are overrated.......that's why I don't care about the FB sets. :)

@DIMEMAN said:
    Nice coins guys! Bands are overrated.......that's why I don't care about the FB sets. :)

Yea, but that’s where the big money is. When it’s time to sell you better have bands. Just ask Billy

@onlyroosies said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Yea, but that’s where the big money is. When it’s time to sell you better have bands. Just ask Billy

Your right Nick that is where the big money is. In my case that is the problem. ;) I think there will always be some demand for pretty 67's with out bands.....even 65-66's if they are nice enough with eye appeal. JMHO B)

I recently bought a nice 1954-S PCGS MS66+FB Roosevelt dime on eBay and went to Monstercoinmart.com to see if he had any further dimes I might be interested in and found a just released Press Release on the 1975-No/S Roosevelt Dime.

I was wondering where the coin ended up and happy to say I'm thriled with the result.

This write up is unreal: http://www.monstercoinmart.com/

Later, Paul.

Nice write up on the 75 no S. :)

Because the TrueView is no longer on CoinFacts, below is an image of the fourth 1957 MS67+FB which I made on behalf of @Khayman and also picked out of a waste Raymond mint board myself.

@ilikemonsters said:
    Because the TrueView is no longer on CoinFacts, below is an image of the fourth 1957 MS67+FB which I made on behalf of @Khayman and also picked out of a waste Raymond mint board myself.

Beautiful Roosie!

I’ve seen that 57P in hand. I graded it MS68FB.

@ilikemonsters said:

That dime is all there and has beautiful toning also. Congrats on the huge score.

Later, Paul.
  • QBertQBert Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

@Stooge said:
    I recently bought a nice 1954-S PCGS MS66+FB Roosevelt dime on eBay and went to Monstercoinmart.com to see if he had any further dimes I might be interested in and found a just released Press Release on the 1975-No/S Roosevelt Dime.

I was wondering where the coin ended up and happy to say I'm thriled with the result.

This write up is unreal: http://www.monstercoinmart.com/

I had not known JHF had died. Sorry to hear that. He had some interesting posts.

A big congratulations goes out to Halcyon. Thanks Justin and Mitch for the great write up about the 75 no-S Dime.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was looking through my past submissions and noticed one from last October that no longer had a valid cert. This was a regular submission with GoldShield. The Roosevelt dime I was wondering about was graded MS66. I no longer can get TruView downloads as cert is invalid. I sold it on eBay last November for $79. Now I see it has 'upgraded' to top pop tie at MS67+ FB with a PCGS value at $3500.

What submission level do you need to get that grade? could it have been a show submission or easiest to cross to NGC and then cross back to PCGS? just curious as I paid what I consider a lot for a quarter and the seller said they paid a few submissions fees on it ( had sold 8 months earlier on Heritage in a NGC slab).

OK Roosie guys.....what do you grade this 1966?

I grade it No-Bands

@onlyroosies said:
    I grade it No-Bands

Yes, but what grade.

66+

@rainbowroosie said:
    66+

The coin has much more luster than my pic shows. It is currently in a older (non prong) holder PCGS66. I think it is a 67 and may send it in with some others. Cracked out raw of course.

Rev mark a third of the way up from the bottom is in a bad area, catches your eye, that’s y I said not 67. Hope you get treated well.

Yes, I see that, but have seen worse on 67's. Hoping the eye appeal makes up for that. It will be a cheap test.

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

Place your wagers on the over/under grade of MS67. MS67 or better wins on the over. Under MS67 wins on the under.

I bet (1) Sum Tum (papaya salad) delivered in Bangkok on the under. And I will throw in a local Chang beer.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

@wondercoin said:
    Place your wagers on the over/under grade of MS67. MS67 or better wins on the over. Under MS67 wins on the under.

I bet (1) Sum Tum (papaya salad) delivered in Bangkok on the under. And I will throw in a local Chang beer.

Wondercoin

You coulda just said you don't think it will 67. ;) I'm not gonna bet on it.

Dimeman... RR said 66+. Anyone can win or lose this friendly wager. You know coins that are 66+ can sometimes achieve 67. You are betting on it! You are paying the grading fee... yes?

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

@DIMEMAN MS66. It's a 65 with eye appeal. You posted a few newp clad MS67 Roosies on the main forum section. The 1969D MS67 you recently purchased, that's what an MS67 is supposed to look like!

edited September 17, 2019 9:00PM

I just took a new pic of my 1969-D/D FS-501. This also looks like a 67 to me. Maybe even a 67+.

@DIMEMAN 67+. I like it.

@DIMEMAN said:
    OK Roosie guys.....what do you grade this 1966?

There is something about this coin that is puzzling to me. This dime looks as if it has PVC contamination or it turned in the holder. Not sure what you see in it.

Later, Paul.
  • david3142david3142 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ilikemonsters said:
    @DIMEMAN MS66. It's a 65 with eye appeal. You posted a few newp clad MS67 Roosies on the main forum section. The 1969D MS67 you recently purchased, that's what an MS67 is supposed to look like!

This is what an MS67 clad is supposed to look like. 😁

I haven’t been able to contribute too many new Dime pictures lately but I did pick up some nice clads this summer.

Dimemans 66 is 66..... at best

Paul I'd sent that back for a re-grade.

Dimemans 66 is 66..... at best”

Nick... quiet... I want to win papaya salad!

David... you are wrong... MS67 clad is Not supposed to look like that!

Wondercoin