Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Anyone up for some Roosie Talk? - Thread #7

Comments

• Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup, agree Lablover. ( best I can do )

• rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭

Here is your fix ;)

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • labloverlablover Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinJunkie said:

@lablover said:
    Someone post something new...I need a fix!!!!!!!

Well, it's not a Roosie, but I just got this one back from PCGS. The TrueView doesn't quite capture all the flash in hand.

67FB

Fantastic coin!!!

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
    edited February 11, 2020 7:09PM

@rainbowroosie said:

Here is your fix ;)

Are you saving that one for the Roosie Gang, or just me?

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Sweet coins David and Bob. Thanks for posting. :)

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinJunkie said:
    I just noticed that PCGS recently made another 68+ Roosie, only the second non-FB coin to achieve that grade, and the third overall.

Pretty coin! Wouldn't the complete Silver set in that grade be SWEET!! :):oB)

• Nice! Good luck!

Love the 63

I like them both a lot!

Is the action on the chin raised or indented?

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."

@rainbowroosie said:
    Is the action on the chin raised or indented?

It's really minor, but looks to be indented. Could be why it didn't 67.

Yes the chatter

@rainbowroosie said:
    Yes the chatter

Maybe I'll find a better one someday........I look at a LOT of 46-S's! ;)B)

edited February 23, 2020 5:08PM

@Rob41281 said:

67- Going back in at LB for shot at a +.

I see your 63 made the 67+ at Long Beach...Congrats!!!

Posted this on the Open Board last week. It's a coin I got from Danny at FUN, finally received the TrueView.

• Rob41281Rob41281 Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lablover said:

@Rob41281 said:

Thanks but when it did someone else had to have it and couldn’t pass up the offer, now resides in the #2 ranked set.

@lablover said:

@Rob41281 said:

All 3 67’s I sent to Long Beach made top pop 67+’s. 2 of which have already been sold once they did

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lablover said:

@Rob41281 said:

Had to happen sooner or later. I made the first one maybe six or seven years ago! Guess I'll have to try mine for a 68 now... B)

A few TV’s that were Just done of some recent additions to my registry.
    67FB

67+

@Rob41281 , congrats on getting a + on that 1960 Roosie I sold you! Here's how it looked when I first bought it:

I sold it on eBay for about triple what I paid for it. The buyer got it upgraded to a 67 and put it on Great Collections. I won it again there for about $50 less than I'd sold it for. In any case, it is a really nice coin and the TrueView looks great!

@CoinJunkie Thanks!
    Seems like there’s quite a few upgrades made on those earlier holders. I had one graded MS66 in the white label 7 digit holder get cracked and come back 67+FB.

@Rob41281 said:
    @CoinJunkie Thanks!
    Seems like there’s quite a few upgrades made on those earlier holders. I had one graded MS66 in the white label 7 digit holder get cracked and come back 67+FB.

Yep, coins sometimes get seriously undergraded, as well as overgraded. The 1960 was in with a box of Roosies that I received from a serious collector several years ago when he was looking to unload some dupes. At the asking price, it was a no-brainer. I got a couple others that subsequently upgraded out of that lot, as well.

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had these 2 for some time now.
    67 about 3 mos.
    20o5 About 1 year.
    Really bothering me as both are the same shade of yellow.
    Both came from coin rolls.
    Any insight would be apprecated

@emeraldATV

Wrong thread, wrong forum.

• onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2020 2:03PM

@Lovethedimes said:

Currently resides ATS in an MS68FT holder.

Looking for advice. Should I try crossing to PCGS?

TIA

I'd take a shot or 2. I give it 10% chance at best of crossing based on the pic. It would be a good set up coin
    for a group crossing

Danny, seems to me our hosts can change the point system based on their own pop reports.
    Ex. Full band Pop less than 100, 3 points. Full band Pop less than 50, 3.5 points. Full band Pop less than 10, 4 points.
    Makes no sense to me at all that a certain date & m/m with a total fb pop of less that 100 or less than 10 should score the same as another date m/m with a Pop in the thousands.

Danny - I can see you point. I don't really have a horse in this race since even though I collect Roosies I am not a big player in the FB sets. I can understand your point that a 10 FB coin should get a bigger bonus than say coins with 100 or 1000 FB's.

• cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

Danny,

Great suggestions. I posted a few years back my thoughts. When it comes to setting up new weights on sets, why try to reinvent the wheel? Take a Washington Basic Registry set and the 1948-D that has a weight of 4, yet while the 1948 mint set has a weight of 2. Your suggestion pertains to census rarity and mine would take into account condition/mintage/population rarity. Take the Roosevelt basic FB set and the 1949-P and 1949-S both have a weight of 3 while the same coins in a '49 mint set only have 2. I could go on but I'm sure you get my point as I fully get yours. Sounds simple doesn't it? :) Both of our suggestions are not knocking the Registry, they are meant only to suggest ways to better improve it. It has been many years since these weights have been looked at and it might just be a great time to revisit them. o:)

Ken

• DANNYDANNY Posts: 345 ✭✭✭

You have stated my point more clearly.
    I am not knocking the PCGS Registry in any way.
    I am only offering a suggestion to improve it and make it better (and more up-to-date), specifically in the Roosie Dime category.
    Life is about change. Change for the better is good.
    Let's make the change, and who better to monitor the needed changes than those who are the most
    knowledgeable in the Roosie Dime field?
    If I were employed by PCGS and working within the Set Registry, I would always be looking for new ways to improve
    the Registry and make it better.

• StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

Danny,

Love the comments made here, but they'll fall on deaf ears.
    We spoke about getting new weights to all Roosevelt Dimes a few years back if memory serves and nothing happened. Heck have you looked at the pop report lately? It to me is in shambles from about 2000-Date. That's an easy fix.
    As far as weights are concerned, there is a lot more to it other than the number of FB dimes. You have to take into consideration U.S. mint mintages for that year for all circ. coins and the % rate for submissions made.
    Also do you have a high population of MS64FB's compared to no MS67FB's for that date vs. tons of MS67's vs. no MS64's. Some clads have higher pops in the non FB's vs. FB's.
    Plus if you look at the actual bands on the bottom of the torch, you will get over a dozen different looking bands depending on which year the dime was minted. 1990 bands are nothing like 1970 bands and really nothing like 2000 bands. That effects FB grading for sure. Does anyone have official records of when the mint recut the reverse dies? Are those records available? This unfortunately, for me anyways, takes into consideration for weighting.

I for one just don't care about the weights anymore and overall wish the pop report was permantly fixed. That would be a great day. For me, I'm just trying to put the best set together I can afford.

Best of luck my friend, it would be neat to see what comes of it.

Later, Paul.

Good luck is right @Stooge . They haven't even got the 2019 coins in all the sets. I brought it to David Talks attention twice and nothing. No response......nothing!

• robecrobec Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not impressive grade wise (was NGC MS66* before coming to PCGS), but color is out of this world.

TrueView is too dark......still colorful.

Beautiful Roosies Bob!

@DIMEMAN said:
    Beautiful Roosies Bob!

Same coin, different photographers... :)

@CoinJunkie said:

@DIMEMAN said:
    Beautiful Roosies Bob!

Same coin, different photographers... :)

Wow...what a difference! I think I like the top pic the best.

Very nice. I love the 51S

Jim, That 63 was in your raw set :o WoW!

edited March 13, 2020 9:26AM

Congratulations to Danny Biddle. His 1946 - Date FB Roosie set just leaped over Hansen and Halcyon to
    claim the number 1 current finest spot, You can view his set here:
    https://pcgs.com/SetRegistry/half-dimes/roosevelt-dimes-major-sets/roosevelt-dimes-fb-major-varieties-circulation-strikes-1946-present/2018

Danny Quick take a screen shot.

WTG Danny and I love all of your new Dimes!