Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Anyone up for some Roosie Talk? - Thread #7

Comments

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nick. Great detective work. Now that Hansen is possibly through (quite possibly after missing his chance at picking up THE greatest Roosevelt Dime out there) can you track down the PR66 1975 No S Dime? I could use it in my Top 100 Modern set. My AAPL stock has made a good run this past year. I have a few extra dollars to spend now.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭

@wondercoin said:
    Nick. Great detective work. Now that Hansen is possibly through (quite possibly after missing his chance at picking up THE greatest Roosevelt Dime out there) can you track down the PR66 1975 No S Dime? I could use it in my Top 100 Modern set. My AAPL stock has made a good run this past year. I have a few extra dollars to spend now.

Wondercoin

I would bet several collectors are hunting for the PR66 1975 No S Dime. I bet it shows up at auction real soon. On another note, Hansens True Views are all loaded except for the 46D. You all have to check out the 51P. That coin has never (until now) been seen. That coin has changed hands multiple times (through me) privately for 30 years. Good thing Hansen doesn't send in coins for regrade. The 51P is an MS68+FB all day long 7 days a week and could someday possible be the first MS69FB Silver Roosie. for those of you attending the Roosie Dinner on Thursday ask me about the 30 year history on that coin. and the 53P, 63P, 61D, 50S and 55D.

Onlyroosies

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭✭✭

@onlyroosies said:
    This is what my investigation turned up. All 48 Dimes in Hansen’s #1 silver set disappeared from the pop report. A few days later they were all back, but with one change. All now had the “Hansen” pedigree on the tag. I ran every Cirt number and all 48 except 2 had his Name added. His 48D and 46D did not. Then I found them in his 3rd set with his pedigree. He just hasn’t flipped those 2 out yet. None of his other Dimes in set#3 were pedigreed. You can make your own conclusion but my conclusion (guess) is:

His #2 set “Diana’s Roosies” is a gift set to someone special in his life named Diana. That set will stay as is.

He’s happy with his #1 silver set and is content for now calling it complete.

His 3rd silver set is a bit baffling. Keep or sell? I know he has turned down a couple offers for a few individual Dimes. Since it’s a complete set I’m leaning towards he’s keeping it as is and intact for now.

Just my 10c worth
    Still: Onlyroosies

Here is what MY investigation turned up. Hansen has reslabbed all of his clads with exception of about 18 of them. All the TV's are up. Also since we all love dimes (At least I do) Gerald Forsythe has just retired his #1 Mercury Dime set with major varieties 1916-1945 which puts Hansen's #2 set in first place. No word if Forsythes set is for sale as that purchase would be north of $4 million in my estimates...that is if Hansen was to aquire it intact, but alas, he has 3 Mercury sets in the top 4 slots. Holy Cripes those are some serious sets.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    KhaymanKhayman Posts: 71 ✭✭✭

I haven’t been over to the Hansen Watch thread in a while but I’m wondering if he’s pedigree-ing all his other coins, essentially capping it all (with the exception of those few coins he still needs). Given his well known plans he still needs to focus on building the DLH Monument . . . I mean “numismatic museum”.

• Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2019 5:55PM

@onlyroosies said:

@wondercoin said:

Wondercoin

I would bet several collectors are hunting for the PR66 1975 No S Dime. I bet it shows up at auction real soon. On another note, Hansens True Views are all loaded except for the 46D. You all have to check out the 51P. That coin has never (until now) been seen. That coin has changed hands multiple times (through me) privately for 30 years. Good thing Hansen doesn't send in coins for regrade. The 51P is an MS68+FB all day long 7 days a week and could someday possible be the first MS69FB Silver Roosie. for those of you attending the Roosie Dinner on Thursday ask me about the 30 year history on that coin. and the 53P, 63P, 61D, 50S and 55D.

Onlyroosies

Nick,

I believe I recognize a few of those coins, like the 55D and the 52. Sort of cool having some of (oops, ours) my former coins in the two top sets.

1952 TrueView

1952 JimView

1955D TrueView

1955D JimView

I know they are not up to TrueView level, but not to bad for a shade-tree collector.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options

BTW I just did a small random sampling of all of Hansen’s sets and it looks like he’s pedigreed his entire collection (1/2c through $20). Now, whether this means he actually takes his foot off the gas from collecting we don’t know. But can you imagine what the uniformity of thousands of personal pedigreed slabs looks like in one place? I’ll slam him every now & then, but the truth is that would truly be a sight to behold.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just purchased the 5 remaining Silver Roosies I need (basics) in 67. Now all are 67 with 9 in 67+'s. I know this doesn't compare to a lot of the Dimes mentioned here, but this was my goal. A big thanks to Danny Biddle for letting me have these.

• Options
    DANNYDANNY Posts: 347 ✭✭✭

I am so glad that I was able to help you accomplish your goal Jon.
    I hope to be able to help all of the other Roosie collectors in some way.
    These dimes were bought by me about 20 years ago.
    I am sure they are happy with their new HOME.
    Regards,
    Danny

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    I just purchased the 5 remaining Silver Roosies I need (basics) in 67. Now all are 67 with 9 in 67+'s. I know this doesn't compare to a lot of the Dimes mentioned here, but this was my goal. A big thanks to Danny Biddle for letting me have these.

@DIMEMAN just because you don't have the top dimes doesn't mean they aren't welcome here. We can always use more dimes of yours to laugh at, I mean look at and talk about. B)

Any Roosie dime is welcome here.

Later, Paul.
  • Options

@Khayman said:
    BTW I just did a small random sampling of all of Hansen’s sets and it looks like he’s pedigreed his entire collection (1/2c through $20). Now, whether this means he actually takes his foot off the gas from collecting we don’t know. But can you imagine what the uniformity of thousands of personal pedigreed slabs looks like in one place? I’ll slam him every now & then, but the truth is that would truly be a sight to behold.

Trust me, from what I read between the lines in the "Hansen thread" he is FAR from done. I would pay to see all of his slabs in 1 display. I bet it would be truly remarkable and a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I hope someone published a nice big coffee table book on them.

Later, Paul.
  • Options

Nice Jon,

What is so cool about those 5 dimes you just got are the 7 digit coin numbers. Not something you run across to often.
    Congrats

Nick

• Options
    CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Khayman said:
    I haven’t been over to the Hansen Watch thread in a while but I’m wondering if he’s pedigree-ing all his other coins, essentially capping it all (with the exception of those few coins he still needs). Given his well known plans he still needs to focus on building the DLH Monument . . . I mean “numismatic museum”.

Just a couple comments. Mr. Hansen had his core collection re-holdered with trueview pictures while they were out of the plastic. I was not given the exact number, but I believe it to be north of 6000 coins. He did not do anything with his duplicates. The purpose was because he wanted a consistent look with his collection. So, 6K+ coins were cracked out! He redesigned his label. It is not blue, but has a light grayish silver look. I posted a view of new look on Hansen watch a couple weeks ago.

I make this posting on this thread by saying, I don't believe his Roosy collection is complete. It may be, but if new opportunities were to come up, I think he would upgrade if the coin intrigue him.

There is a story to tell on his duplicates, but it is after 11:00 pm, so I will save for another day.

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • Options
    ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

@lablover Jim, look at the two 55-D again. Hansen’s and yours are not the same coin. Don’t quote me, but I believe nick bought a 55-D on eBay raw for $30, and got it into a 68FB holder. I believe it’s the same coin which is in Hansen’s #1 set.

• Options

@lablover I love the “JimView”. At FUN I’m going to ply you with booze to have you give up your great photo techniques!

• Options

@ilikemonsters said:
    @lablover Jim, look at the two 55-D again. Hansen’s and yours are not the same coin. Don’t quote me, but I believe nick bought a 55-D on eBay raw for $30, and got it into a 68FB holder. I believe it’s the same coin which is in Hansen’s #1 set.

Could be. Thought it was very similar due to my bad imaging skills.

@Khayman said:
    @lablover I love the “JimView”. At FUN I’m going to ply you with booze to have you give up your great photo techniques!

Thanks, but TrueViews have me beat, by a lot.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2019 12:06PM

@ilikemonsters said:

The 55D I bought off eBay that you refer to is not the Hansen coin. The ebay 55D ended up in the JHF collection and disappeared after JHF Dimes went to auction. Jim is correct. He and I once owned the Hansen 55D together when it was in the NGC 68*FT holder. We sold our NCC set to the Arthur Goman Collection. The set was eventually broken up and many Dimes including the Hansen 55D were crossed to PC. I then acquired it back for my collection.

I don’t know what went wrong with the true view photo but the 2 55D’s in Jim’s post are the same coin and I can attest that the jimView pic is what the coin actually looks like.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

So if you re-holder 6000 slabs. you can design your own label?

• Options

@davewesen said:

Not really. Joe Best (Crazyhounddog) only had a few hundred (in fire) and he had a special label made. Most were Buffaloes, but some were other coins and I am proud to have one of his coins (Mercury Dime) in my set.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@davewesen said:

Not really. Joe Best (Crazyhounddog) only had a few hundred (in fire) and he had a special label made. Most were Buffaloes, but some were other coins and I am proud to have one of his coins (Mercury Dime) in my set.

Picture please

Later, Paul.
  • Options

@Stooge said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@davewesen said:

Picture please

OK

• Options

@onlyroosies said:

@ilikemonsters said:

The 55D I bought off eBay that you refer to is not the Hansen coin. The ebay 55D ended up in the JHF collection and disappeared after JHF Dimes went to auction. Jim is correct. He and I once owned the Hansen 55D together when it was in the NGC 68*FT holder. We sold our NCC set to the Arthur Goman Collection. The set was eventually broken up and many Dimes including the Hansen 55D were crossed to PC. I then acquired it back for my collection.

I don’t know what went wrong with the true view photo but the 2 55D’s in Jim’s post are the same coin and I can attest that the jimView pic is what the coin actually looks like.

Thanks Nick, I thought I was correct. Oh, and forgive the "my" reference. It should have read Our. Could not have built the past NGC #1 Roosie Set without my buddy. Sorry... :'(

• Options
    KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Despite the difference in the photos of the '55-D you can still match up a few marks and toning spots to confirm it's the same coin.

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options

I recently obtained an ANACS graded 2004-D Double Ear, so there's that. Planning on cracking it. Stay tuned...

Later, Paul.
  • Options

I need one real bad in 66

• Options

@Stooge said:
    I recently obtained an ANACS graded 2004-D Double Ear, so there's that. Planning on cracking it. Stay tuned...

What grade......pics?

• Options

@onlyroosies said:
    I need one real bad in 66

Join the club. My specimen is a lowly 64. I just bought it to fill in the spot.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    BeefCurry808BeefCurry808 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭

I been watching the roosevelt clad pops. What’s a 74 p in fb even go for roughly in the event that a 65fb is made?

• Options

@BeefCurry808 said:
    I been watching the roosevelt clad pops. What’s a 74 p in fb even go for roughly in the event that a 65fb is made?

I would imagine at least a $1,000 to start. Depends on how it looks, upgrade potential, who is buying etc...

Later, Paul.
  • Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@Stooge said:

What grade......pics?

Later, Paul.
  • Options

@BeefCurry808 said:

Are you saying you have a ‘74 65FB? ;)

• Options

@Khayman said:

@BeefCurry808 said:

Are you saying you have a ‘74 65FB? ;)

There isn't one in the pop report.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2019 3:44PM

That 47-S is BEAUTIFUL !!!

• Options

In early 2007, I made 19 MS67FB's for the 2007-D. In 2019 I paid $65 to obtain one. :'(

I will be submitting Roosies again...SOON!

BTW, I KNOW there are a small handful of those 19 that I guarantee will upgrade to an MS68FB!

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

The TV finally posted for the 1990-D

• Options

I’ve been hospitalized d/t dental work and severe pain, so I could really use a boost by seeing some Roosie dimes posted here or some stories on recent Roosie hunts.

I’m hoping to get better soon.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options

I posted the merc to see if your meds are affecting you.

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
  • Options

@rainbowroosie said:
    I posted the merc to see if your meds are affecting you.

You have a 1941 pr67+ gold cac? That is one insane dime. Very nice. Thanks RBR, that put a smile on my face. Can you tell me a little about it?

Later, Paul.
  • Options

Belongs to a well known but private collector near Boston. The gold sticker is warranted, you can call it any high number you want. In hand, it’s stunning.

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just think happy thoughts, Stooge.
    Remember one thing, it's always 5 O'clock somewhere over the rainbow.
    Lol.
    And what is that......?
    looks like a computer created that looking at a crystal vase.
    Oh my.!
    The Arroraboyealise must be jealous.
    I feel lucky to have seen that, thanks.

• Options

Love those Dimes! That 1962 is neat! Get well soon Paul!

• Options
    cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stooge said:
    I’ve been hospitalized d/t dental work and severe pain, so I could really use a boost by seeing some Roosie dimes posted here or some stories on recent Roosie hunts.

I’m hoping to get better soon.

Paul,

I hope you feel better, hang in there.

Ken

• Options

@david3142 said:
    Here’s a little something to help you feel better!

Makes me feel better, and I'm not ill.

• Options

I have been asked 3x's about this dime 1946-S Roosevelt Dime Sans Serif MM FS-504 PCGS MS-66 FB. Boy it stirred up the bidding pot. Funny thing is the pop (1/0) was sitting on eBay for a week before it sold for about $1,000.
    More will/should be made now. 1946-S is one of the easiest MS66FB and higher dimes in the silver series.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    DANNYDANNY Posts: 347 ✭✭✭

I was the 2nd place bidder on that coin last night on Great Collections with a max bid of $1222.00
    I was surprised that my bid did not win the auction, and to say the least, a little disappointed.
    Danny

• Options

@DANNY said:
    I was the 2nd place bidder on that coin last night on Great Collections with a max bid of $1222.00
    I was surprised that my bid did not win the auction, and to say the least, a little disappointed.
    Danny

Can’t win them all.

Later, Paul.