Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Gold Kennedy minted to demand (Now 75,000 Limit) - Where does it go from here ?

1363738394042»

Comments

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    End of year numbers release from the Mint:

12/7/2014.....2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY UNC CLAD SET...183,698...That's +13,198 units over the previous week
    12/14/2014...2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY UNC CLAD SET...194,809...That's +11,111 units over the previous week
    12/21/2014...2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY UNC CLAD SET...198,173...That's +3,364 units over the previous week
    12/28/2014...2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY UNC CLAD SET...198,268...That's +95 units over the previous week

12/7/2014.....2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY GOLD COIN...68,699...That's +1,059 units over the previous week
    12/14/2014...2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY GOLD COIN...69,501...That's +802 units over the previous week
    12/21/2014...2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY GOLD COIN...68,974...That's -527 units over the previous week
    12/28/2014...2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY GOLD COIN...69,319...That's +345 units over the previous week

12/7/2014.....2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY SILVER SET...178,455...That's +5,821 units over the previous week
    12/14/2014...2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY SILVER SET...184,098...That's +5,643 units over the previous week
    12/21/2014...2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY SILVER SET...188,147...That's +4,049 units over the previous week
    12/28/2014...2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY SILVER SET...190,228...That's +2,081 units over the previous week

Clads have been Out Of Stock, not sure how they sold 95 sets. Only 1,700 from sellout.
    Gold is still surprisingly strong, considering the post-holiday status.
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>End of year numbers release from the Mint:

12/7/2014.....2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY GOLD COIN...68,699...That's +1,059 units over the previous week
    12/14/2014...2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY GOLD COIN...69,501...That's +802 units over the previous week
    12/21/2014...2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY GOLD COIN...68,974...That's -527 units UNDER the previous week
    12/28/2014...2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY GOLD COIN...69,319...That's +345 units over the previous week

Gold is still surprisingly strong, considering the post-holiday status. >>

Fixed in bold.

-527 reported on 12/21/14, +345 on 12/28/14, the mint gained 345 units and is still -182 units under.

Who knows what these numbers are, without knowing the reporting / measure method, might as well stick a wet finger into the wind. MHO.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,449 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The unexpected is occurring.

Melt is up to $970

here is a raw at 1045

n69er at 1025 today

There are true auctions higher, but the prices are approaching

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    approaching what? After fees for a non store seller it's a return of NEGATIVE -333.00.
  • Options
    each other.

Converging?

The talk was always about true auctions hammering at melt.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭✭
    The last sale of a FS PR70DCAM WAS $1276 ........ eBay And sold by board member Russ. This coin is a dog, woof, woof.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Where does it go from here?"

Hopefully it's over. Gold prices killed it. Let it die in peace.
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has been over 6 months. How many of you are holding a $1800 specimen?

How many of these Gold Kennedys are 'prediction making members' willing to buy at $1800, now, not later?
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    The Gold Kennedy has turned into dead meat....PCGS 70s under 1300.. most listings on Ebay are BIN........ less the real market price be discovered much lower by auction.... no dealers even bother to call the coin club with offers to sell ....Many years down the road it may have some legs
  • Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And I am still giving thanks for the money I saved by not buying any of these gold Kennedy's.
    With that money I am able to purchase more of what I like the most.
    Shiny silver proofs.image
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options

<< <i>And I am still giving thanks for the money I saved by not buying any of these gold Kennedy's.
    Shiny silver proofs.image >>

Just like the Gold Baseball gold coins
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A rising tide floats all boats. This is no longer a rising tide.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those Kennedy gold are still crawling @ of less than 100 sales per week. Total sales so far..72,120+ ... who knows, at this rate they may even sell out by the e/o 2015.image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    I just opened my FS-eligible boxes and..............these are nice coins! I'm not unhappy with them, at all.

The ones who bought & paid for place-holders in Chicago, hahahahahaha.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Why did you not submit them?

• Options
    Why did you not submit them?

In my opinion, not worth the money. I just submitted 8 other coins in boxes for FS. It gets pretty expensive to play the game. Almost too expensive these days.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    So glad I didn't participate in this Gold Trinket exercise in tackiness. I thought the mintage was way too high, and it was.

Maybe it will sell out by the end of 2016? I wouldn't bet on that.
  • Options
    Have not seen any big ebay sales of the gold Kennedys,, by the ANA bus sitter dealers.... some dealers regard raw Gold Kennedys as just spot metal ....... graded 70s in $1200-1300 range
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Still giving thanks . >>

Hattrick.... I still have a nice fresh PCGS PR70DCAM waiting for you this time next year....price? $1800.

Just like those giving thanks for not buying the UHR at $1189.image >>

Still have seven months to get to $ 1,800. Maybe even a sell out by then.image
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Still giving thanks . >>

Hattrick.... I still have a nice fresh PCGS PR70DCAM waiting for you this time next year....price? $1800.

Just like those giving thanks for not buying the UHR at $1189.image >>

Still have seven months to get to $ 1,800. Maybe even a sell out by then.image >>

I'm sure you are "holding your breath" waiting for that to happen.....just like waiting for gold to hit $2k. My bet is on gold, however, I may not live that long.image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    someone remind me later to check HSN.com for the Ann. Ken. issues ....

(I can't believe people are paying over $25/oz for generic bullion on that show now!)

• Options
    Home shopping has all 3 Ann sets in some form (FDOI for example)

And I feel fear for future mint releases with limited production. These guys will want to recoup losses somehow....

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,635 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought a gold Kennedy half this week from a fellow coin club member for $1050 in the original mint packaging. Hopefully I didn't overpay for it.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    Of course. I bought one.
  • Options
    Gold Kennedy minted to demand (Now 75,000 Limit) - Where does it go from here ?

I'll go with the trend.
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

Whatever happened to $100,000 Guy? Was he real? Will he ever show himself?

Is a film coming out?
  • Options
    The overall market won't care who bought or whatever.

Who was the seller?

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stick a fork in it! image

Officially SOLD OUT.

After being on sale for the past 13.5 months, it had a last reported mintage of 73,220.
  • Options
    What a long downhill trip this has been. May it rest in peace.image
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An odd note, the Kennedy 3/4 ounce coin has almost the same gold content (23.3gm)
    as the old Spanish Doubloon or Brasher Doubloon (24.7gm).

A "Kennedy Doubloon"?

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I pulled mine out the other day, looked at it, and liked it! Then put it away again...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Ended up with a lot of free gold with the proceeds from those fancy Kennedy labels
    Not related to this particular issue but to all recent moderns, My fear is that the speculation
    In these new issues has reached such a level that each new issue (no matter how rare) is old news within
    30 days
    Just look at the recent c&c sets---if we can't muster up more than 17,000 presidential dollar
    collectors, it's a dark future ahead......
    It's all about demand

• Options
    "Ended with a lot of free gold with the proceeds from those fancy Kennedy labels."

Yeah 7/8, waitta super pump and super dump this dog before the unwitting got wise!

• Options
    Textbook case of CBM (crystal ball malfunction) -

Saturday October 18, 2014 8:15 AM

<< Does anyone but 7over8 really believe these are even remotely akin to the UHR? >>

<Tracking very much like the UHR. Those who don't take the time to study the UHR track - obviously are just talkers and don't back up their comments with facts.

Patience. It takes patience. They are still available. Once the SOLD OUT appears, then we will see how the coin reacts.

Additionally, the pairing of this coin with the Jackie spouse gold will breath additional life into this coin. >

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just look at the recent c&c sets---if we can't muster up more than 17,000 presidential dollar collectors, it's a dark future ahead......
    It's all about demand >>

Not sure what you mean. The Truman and Ike C&C sets sold out within minutes and are readily salable at double to triple the Mint price. 17,000 was the issue limit, they could have sold a lot more if they hadn't decreed such a low mintage.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like most modern commemorative gold coins, this is destined to be a bullion coin. If the price of gold goes up, which it is going to do in the long run, the price of this coin will go up, at least in numerical if not real dollar (adjusted for inflation) terms.

I enjoy the coin for what it is. The mint sent a really nice example to me, and I am happy with it, dispite the fact that I'm losing money. I plan to keep it.

I view my entire collection of modern commemorative coins as an investment in gold bullion. It is more fun than owning gold bars. I have as little as $320 an ounce invested in some of them because I've bought them in the secondary market over the years.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like most modern commemorative gold coins, this is destined to be a bullion coin. If the price of gold goes up, which it is going to do in the long run, the price of this coin will go up, at least in numerical if not real dollar (adjusted for inflation) terms.

I enjoy the coin for what it is. The mint sent a really nice example to me, and I am happy with it, despite the fact that I'm losing money. I plan to keep it.

I view my entire collection of modern commemorative gold coins as an investment in gold bullion. It is more fun than owning gold bars. I have as little as $320 an ounce invested in some of them because I've bought them in the secondary market over the years.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

I wonder what the value of this coin is today ? Anybody seen any recently ?

• Options

How did this hold up over the years

• Options
    stawickstawick Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 1, 2022 9:54AM

@HATTRICK said:
    I wonder what the value of this coin is today ? Anybody seen any recently ?

OLD THREAD.

I had mine graded (and restored) recently. PCGS guide sez $1850.
    Also got the other (4?) silver versions, various 69 / 70 grades ($35-$85 range).

• Options

@HATTRICK said:
    And I am still giving thanks for the money I saved by not buying any of these gold Kennedy's.
    Shiny silver proofs.

What a scramble to get these when they were released. As far as modern mint issues go I say: Buy what you like to collect
    and occasionally buy something hot and flip fast and then use the money to buy what you like to collect. :)

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dont have the patience to dig thru all this to remind myself but who was the turd who paid all the homeless people to stand in line ?

8 years on in hindsight still a disgrace

;)

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 12, 2022 6:44AM

Here is mine, PR70. All marks are on the holder.
    2014-W 50C Gold 50th Anniversary Chicago - August 2014 FS - First Strike, DCAM (Proof)

Current PCGS Price $1900.00
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    edited April 4, 2022 6:38AM

It was a very fine looking coin. Every collection should have one. Starting to like shiny Gold coins as well. If only gold prices would crash back to reasonable prices. :#

• Options
    edited June 10, 2022 6:22AM

I am glad I never purchased one of these for my grandson. I did purchase a Gold Buffalo for him and a Gold Eagle for my granddaughter back then, however after realizing they probably would never be interested in coins I sold them, :'(
    Last year after spending too much time online I purchased a 2021 Gold Buffalo and a 2021 Type 2 Gold Eagle for myself.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well always good decisions if you are happy.
    For me, I love this coin. Mine developed a dreaded red spot which I handled ant it is pristine..

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

I had a Kennedy to do the same thing, developed a red spot, so off to the smelter (I’m sure) it went.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file