Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Gold Kennedy minted to demand (Now 75,000 Limit) - Where does it go from here ?

Comments

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    How do you expect people to come up with money to buy anything with the economy and the stock market in the tank.

People just don't have the money to buy these low end coins unless you want to give them away and it's not just these un-popular coins either.

Up until a couple of weeks ago I was selling quite a few coins every week but have not sold a coin in the past 3 weeks.

Face it, the cost of everything has gone sky high and there is no extra money to spend on items that are not necessary like coins.

Grocery bills have doubled in the past 6 months and people have to eat.
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    I'm no expert, but don't think that is it. My sales are still much the same with returns in the 300-1,000% range.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How do you expect people to come up with money to buy anything with the economy and the stock market in the tank.

People just don't have the money to buy these low end coins unless you want to give them away and it's not just these un-popular coins either.

Up until a couple of weeks ago I was selling quite a few coins every week but have not sold a coin in the past 3 weeks.

Face it, the cost of everything has gone sky high and there is no extra money to spend on items that are not necessary like coins.

Grocery bills have doubled in the past 6 months and people have to eat. >>

People will buy anything ... The secret is to price it correctly and know when to sell and when not. All it takes is a little bid of research and that includes "low end coins". You of course are exaggerating, with "the cost of everything has gone sky." Gasoline is down by 10%+, gold, silver, plat & palladium is down. Most electronic hardware is down in price. Home prices are still below 2008 levels and interest rates remain at an all time low. I agree, some staple items are up, but not up sky high. The stock market in the tank? not hardly, a less than 2% drop is not considered in the tank. You seem to forget, that it has doubled in the last 5 years and a market correction is long overdue.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    Looks like the Limit has been REMOVED.

Looks like ebay with search of '2014 gold kennedy' is under 300 for sale, it used to be 500+

Looks like prices are holding, if not ticking up a little. (for 70's)

Looks like dealers do not have many or any 70's. Maybe they are sold out or just holding back.

Will the price go up this Thursday ??

With the limit removed, my opinion is, they are selling their stock and that will be it. Is that 500 or 5000, nobody knows.

• Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    +1
  • Options
    Can't imagine removing the limit will sell many more since they can be bought elsewhere for less. Mint originally said they had 40K ready and blanks for up to 75K. They'll never sell 75K but if they did they certainly won't go out looking for more.
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They will have a running start on blanks for next years Walking Liberty Half commemorative.

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    The gold kennedys are dead meat .. the 1st day Chicago 70s going under $3,000... notice how thread has just about died off..
    The wait may be long for price recovery ,with the big sitter buyers still holding a lot of coins
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The gold limit has been removed for quite some time, perhaps as long as a month.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>New numbers:

9/28/2014...2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY UNC CLAD SET...132,745 That's +1,051 over last week.
    9/28/2014...2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY GOLD COIN..........63,757 That's +190 over last week. >>

More new numbers:
    10/5/2014...2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY UNC CLAD SET...132,928.... That's +183 over last week.
    10/5/2014...2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY GOLD COIN..........63,944.... That's +187 over last week.

Clad sales have been severely curtailed, probably because you couldn't order one on the mint site for days. (You can now, but was blocked earlier this week. Average 900/week over the last three weeks.)
    Gold sales have been very consistant, averaging about 185/week over the past three weeks. >>

Gold 64,098 --- +154
    Clad 133,818 --- +890

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>10/5/2014...2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY GOLD COIN..........63,944.... That's +187 over last week. >>

So the gold Kennedy mintage has passed the 1998-S burnished silver Kennedy, which remains the key to the series, available for less than $200.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The gold limit has been removed for quite some time, perhaps as long as a month. >>

Yup....and the limit on the clad halves still stands....go figure
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sales are up last week

K14 - 2 Coin Set
    7/27 - 84,593
    8/3 - 97,655 +13,062
    8/10 - 112,134 +14,479
    8/17 - 116,937 +4,803
    8/25 - 120,708 +3,771
    8/31 - 124, 887 +4179
    9/7 - 127,749 +2862
    9/14 - 129,986 +2237
    9/21 - 131,694 +1708
    9/28 - 132,745 +1051
    10/5 - 132,928 +183
    10/12 - 133,818 +890

K15 - Gold
    8/10 - 62,341
    9/17 - 63,521 +1,180
    8/25 - 63,388 -133
    8/31 - 64,305 +917
    9/7 - 63,927 -378
    9/14 - 63,384 -543
    9/21 - 63,567 +183
    9/28 - 63,757 +190
    10/5 - 63.944 +187
    10/12 - 64.098 +154

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On a related note, the Mint has announced that the Jacqueline Kennedy First Spouse mintage will be triple the norm, at 30K. (The rest of the First Spouse coins cap out at 10K...)
  • Options

<< <i>unfortunately patience is the only word for sellers who still hold them. Don't expect them to behave like the UHR sales did. >>

How true... look at the 1st day Chicago 70 Kennedys go under 3,000....demand petered out.... dealers don't want them ...not 1 oz Gold ... wait for the big selloff by large holders to happen before prices turn up
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>unfortunately patience is the only word for sellers who still hold them. Don't expect them to behave like the UHR sales did. >>

How true... look at the 1st day Chicago 70 Kennedys go under 3,000....demand petered out.... dealers don't want them ...not 1 oz Gold ... wait for the big selloff by large holders to happen before prices turn up >>

Patience is a virtue I don't hold with these..only rational and realistic expectations.

Thanks you for the continued observations bestday.
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a fun thread. The negativism is almost exactly the same as it was for the UHR. I only bought one of those because I felt the same way.

On these Gold Kennedys, I have no particular hope in either direction. Why would I? They're still for sale at the Mint and it's so early in the game that the current sales price data doesn't mean much. The mintage means a bit more. The price point means something as well. The economy will also have significant influence.

Looking at recent sales data for almost all Modern Bullion, including the Keys - the prices have taken a major beating for the past 3 years, along with the prices of all the precious metals.

Pick your poison. Everything is cheap right now.

And for this Gold Kennedy, this game is only in the 3rd or 4th inning.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    We don't know how many coins were struck or how long sales will go on this one. I couldn't find the legislation but I assume it can go past the end of the year as long as they have inventory. Will it still be available when the jackie spouse coin comes out? I hope not but this is the mint we are talking about. At 150 coins a week it will take a year to clear 7500 more. If they struck 70,000 that is still 40 more weeks of sales at 150.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The gold kennedys are dead meat .. the 1st day Chicago 70s going under $3,000... >>

Isn't $3,000 still 220% over spot and 150% over Mint selling price?
  • Options

<< <i>We don't know how many coins were struck or how long sales will go on this one. I couldn't find the legislation but I assume it can go past the end of the year as long as they have inventory. Will it still be available when the jackie spouse coin comes out? I hope not but this is the mint we are talking about. At 150 coins a week it will take a year to clear 7500 more. If they struck 70,000 that is still 40 more weeks of sales at 150. >>

There is no special legislation. They can mint until 12/31/2014 and sell past then

I already have my 2nd Kennedy waiting to be paired with the spouse coin.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone but 7over8 really believe these are even remotely akin to the UHR?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Does anyone but 7over8 really believe these are even remotely akin to the UHR? >>

Tracking very much like the UHR. Those who don't take the time to study the UHR track - obviously are just talkers and don't back up their comments with facts.

Patience. It takes patience. They are still available. Once the SOLD OUT appears, then we will see how the coin reacts.

Additionally, the pairing of this coin with the Jackie spouse gold will breath additional life into this coin.
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭
    I think most dealers are holding back until prices firm. Still a very desirable coin for me to purchase eventually.
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was dealer at the Lakeland, Florida coin and other hobbies show yesterday, which is held twice a year, that had a case full of gold Kennedy coins. I think that these things have bullion status in their future. If the guy who paid $100,000 for the first one graded really exists, he has got to be really bummed by this time.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    I've said it before, I'll say it again. The US Mint is a business. They make products for retail. They have distributors (authorized dealers who can buy direct) and they have always minted to demand... in a sense ... Think about it. If they believe they'll sell 15,000 units they announce 20,000 and whatever is excess gets melted. How is that any different than this current scenario? All they've done is eliminate the melting phase, which will save them time and money. It's a smart business decision. And it will only hurt the hobby if the people collecting those Mint products expect to sell them for large profits (more than the BV inflation rate). However if the buyers of these products understand that they are buying fancy bullion and not rare coins, then what harm has been done???
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If the guy who paid $100,000 for the first one graded really exists, he has got to be really bummed by this time. >>

(Assuming he really exists) If he thought $100k for that label was worth it at the time he bought it, he surely still thinks it is invaluable despite the public sentiment on the raw and other label coins.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    Household limit of 5 is back.
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Just about a week left until the Silver Circus rolls into Town. After that no one will care about the Gold Kennedy.
    The matte 98 will probably draw more interest.
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just about a week left until the Silver Circus rolls into Town. After that no one will care about the Gold Kennedy.
    The matte 98 will probably draw more interest. >>

But, but, but......its underpriced, don't you know that??? image 1800 fer sure by next year!!! image Sorry, I couldn't resist! Here's a FS 70 that sold for less than $1250 eBay FS 70
  • Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oct 19 numbers out:

10/19/2014...2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY UNC CLAD SET....134,631 -- That's +813 over last week.
    10/19/2014...2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY GOLD COIN...........64,303 -- That's +205 over last week.

The silver circus starts in one week! image I'll bet we see bumps in the clad sales, for those who are waiting to save the extra shipping cost.

We may also see a bump in the gold sales, especially if gold stays above $1250.
  • Options
    I'm surprised they still have the HH limit and reinstated it for the gold

But the clads are still selling. I guess that is good

I'd like to see the friends & family networks dealt with to stop the tv hucksters

But if the gold is any indication, using f&f to flip will be mostly financial suicide.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Just about a week left until the Silver Circus rolls into Town. After that no one will care about the Gold Kennedy.

But, but, but......its underpriced, don't you know that??? image 1800 fer sure by next year!!! image Sorry, I couldn't resist! Here's a FS 70 that sold for less than $1250 eBay FS 70 >>

double post

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options

<< <i>

But, but, but......its underpriced, don't you know that??? image 1800 fer sure by next year!!! image Sorry, I couldn't resist! Here's a FS 70 that sold for less than $1250 eBay FS 70 >>

Now officially just another mint bullion product. Hype and labels were a temporary excitement. Condolences to those still holding them for resale. Congrats to those who added one to their collection.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options

<< <i>ut, but, but......its underpriced, don't you know that??? 1800 fer sure by next year!!! >>

Didn't realize next year was here already?

Ahhh, just another modern mint product basher.image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>ut, but, but......its underpriced, don't you know that??? 1800 fer sure by next year!!! >>

Didn't realize next year was here already?

Ahhh, just another modern mint product basher.image >>

I don't believe so...derryb collects and accumulates all the ASE's & AGE's that he can get his hands on, at a decent & realistic price.image

The truth hurts when it pertains to the Kennedy golds. I like the design, but the demand is not there at this time.
    Kennedy gold coin owners, there is still a simmer of hope that this gold coin will be resuscitated after the Jackie gold coin comes out next year. Would make a nice combo in a 2 coin certified slab.
  • Options
    It appears the demand is there as sales continue and have beaten the RP Buff mintages.

The problem is the supply in the flippers' hands.

Need to do something about the friends & family network? Doesn't look like it for the ebay flips, but maybe for the tv people though.
  • Options

<< <i>It appears the demand is there as sales continue and have beaten the RP Buff mintages.

The problem is the supply in the flippers' hands.

Need to do something about the friends & family network? Doesn't look like it for the ebay flips, but maybe for the tv people though. >>

Not so sure about your comment about demand. I don't consider a few hundred sales a week much of a demand and you keep forgetting, the flippers are the "market makers" for modern coins. If it hadn't been for the flippers, most recent issues would have been left 4 dead at the Mint.
    The TV hucksters had their chance with only limited success (there are only so many suckers in the world to take advantage off)
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The gold kennedys are dead meat .. the 1st day Chicago 70s going under $3,000... >>

Isn't $3,000 still 220% over spot and 150% over Mint selling price? >>

If these 1st day ANA Chicago coins were in demand ,prices would be much higher ...in the area of $4,000+.. the fact they are not leads me to see prices softer ahead ....
    Like I have said .. wait for the ANA bus sitter dealers to sell before buying.. even though of the big sitters dealers was advertising to buy more of the Gold Kennedys
  • Options
    Modern US gold commemorative products are risky investments even in the face of strong gold prices. This is a lesson I learned the hard way. My early, negative JFK posts in this thread were only an attempt to share that lesson to those looking for big profit on the JFK in the face of declining gold prices. Lesson #2: Many ebay buyers are only buying (and running up the price) to resell at a profit. Once they sense a price ceiling is on the horizon they will quit buying and prices will decline. In most cases modern lablemania has a short half-life; cash in quickly.

The difference between the UHR and the JFK? UHR demand is a result of it being a tribute (restrike?) to an earlier, very popular and collectible coin. JFK is a tribute to a very popular person as are most all other coins.

Lesson learned: Do not assume all new mint products are a homerun. Choose wisely.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    Well boys, the fat lady hasn't belted out her tune yet
    Let's all return once sales on the gold kennedy have ceased and then see how
    this coin reacts
    Let me remind many of you who planned on buying UHRs at melt---how
    did that go?
    And yes, many of those who swore that would happen are the same members
    Commenting here....
  • Options
    Derryb
    The point you overlook is that both coins you mention are one year type
    Coins
    Both the UHR and the Gold Kennedy
  • Options

<< <i>Derryb
    The point you overlook is that both coins you mention are one year type
    Coins
    Both the UHR and the Gold Kennedy >>

Difference being the JFK is behaving just like a gold commemorative in the aftermarket.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    And so was the UHR for quite some time
  • Options
    And so was the coveted UHR for quite some time
  • Options

<< <i>And so was the coveted UHR for quite some time >>

Not really...for one...the UHR never dipped below issue price while the Mint was still selling them and the PCGS 70's have always demanded a substantial premium. The same cannot be said about the Kennedy coin.
  • Options
    Like I said much earlier, if you're still holding JFK's for flipping you might as well sit on them. That boat has sailed. They will see better days, but only when gold rises and only because gold rises. In the mean time new products will take the stage.

Let's not forget that even a unique gold rev. proof buffalo failed to hold solid ground.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    I for one have seen the error of my Gold Kennedy bashing ways. I now plan to flip my outlook on these beautiful
    and valuable heirloom collectibles.

Yes, I now am planning to buy at least 20 of these Gold Kennedy's. Just as soon as Gold collapses to $500 / oz
    and I can get these at $350 each.

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>... Here's a FS 70 that sold for less than $1250 eBay FS 70 >>

Wow that really sucks for anyone who just bought in Chicago. I hate when I come home from a show and discover my newps were available online at half price.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options

<< <i>Not really...for one...the UHR never dipped below issue price while the Mint was still selling them and the PCGS 70's have always demanded a substantial premium. >>

Yes, really.

First of all, the UHR was released into a rising gold market. Its price followed the market from issue to several hundred dollars more than initial release price. So the same scenario is not in place for the Kennedy's. If a decreasing gold market were in place for the UHR's - the same would have happended.

Secondly, the PCGS 70's on the UHR did not always command a substantial premium. I, for one, had several dozen sell in the $1550-$1650 range dealer to dealer while the coins were still available from the USM. If you call a $100-$200 over issue substantial.........hmmm.

Once the USM takes these off sale - we will see were the coin goes. I maintain this coin is a "type" coin, the single Gold Kennedy. Once and done. Time will tell.

For those ready to load up next week......be careful, I dont think there will be much to be made there. I am not a fan.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Not really...for one...the UHR never dipped below issue price while the Mint was still selling them and the PCGS 70's have always demanded a substantial premium. >>

Yes, really.

First of all, the UHR was released into a rising gold market. Its price followed the market from issue to several hundred dollars more than initial release price. So the same scenario is not in place for the Kennedy's. If a decreasing gold market were in place for the UHR's - the same would have happended.

Secondly, the PCGS 70's on the UHR did not always command a substantial premium. I, for one, had several dozen sell in the $1550-$1650 range dealer to dealer while the coins were still available from the USM. If you call a $100-$200 over issue substantial.........hmmm.

Once the USM takes these off sale - we will see were the coin goes. I maintain this coin is a "type" coin, the single Gold Kennedy. Once and done. Time will tell.

For those ready to load up next week......be careful, I dont think there will be much to be made there. I am not a fan. >>

Your 300 spirited posts in defense of this golden half dollar in this thread entitle you to change your boring old "expert collect" forum sobriquet to Leonidas of Thermopylae henceforthimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file