Home U.S. Coin Forum

Gold Kennedy minted to demand (Now 75,000 Limit) - Where does it go from here ?

Comments

• What does "Limited" mean?
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What does "Limited" mean? >>

Context needed here!

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

For those ready to load up next week......be careful, I dont think there will be much to be made there. I am not a fan. >>

That's a buy signal, for sure!!
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>For those ready to load up next week......be careful, I dont think there will be much to be made there. I am not a fan. >>

That's a buy signal, for sure!! >>

^^^^THIS^^^^ Edit to add a big smiley face imageimageimage
  • Context needed here!

Mint website now says 2014 Gold Kennedy is "Limited"

CLICK

<< <i>Context needed here!

Mint website now says 2014 Gold Kennedy is "Limited"

CLICK >>

I just saw that

Both the gold and clad have a "limited" Image overlay

I see the gold has no HH limit again. The clad still has a HH limit.

Odd.

Wouldn't it be a mess if they kept any "excess" gold (75k-65k) for a 2015 2 coin mint set?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Mint website now says 2014 Gold Kennedy is "Limited" >>

Makes sense, probably 65,000 pieces total. If this is it, it will again prove the point that unlimited mintage - doesn't mean they will strike these right thru 12/31.

<< <i>Just like all the other modern gold commemoratives. Type coin; once and done. The last three sub 10k mintages don't even draw a decent premium. >>

I guess you just dont get it. The UHR and the Gold Kennedy's are not commems.

Makes sense, probably 65,000 pieces total. If this is it, it will again prove the point that unlimited mintage - doesn't mean they will strike these right thru 12/31.

<< <i>Just like all the other modern gold commemoratives. Type coin; once and done. The last three sub 10k mintages don't even draw a decent premium. >>

I guess you just dont get it. The UHR and the Gold Kennedy's are not commems.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I guess you just dont get it. The UHR and the Gold Kennedy's are not commems. >>

Never called the UHR a commemorative, it's a bullion coin.
    JFK coin commemorates 50 years since death of JFK, and my comment was that it is behaving like a commemorative issue in the aftermarket.
    The JFK is not going to become another UHR in the aftermarket no matter how much one wants it to.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many times can you kick a dead horse before you break your foot?

This coin is going no where fast or slow. More negative response than I have ever witnessed for a U.S. Mint issue.
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JFK coin commemorates 50 years since death of JFK

One would think.. however, the 1964-2014 dual date seems to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the 1964 Kennedy half dollar coin, not the man.

Usually, coins commemorate someone's BIRTH, not something odd like 51 years since their death, or the 51st year the Kennedy half was minted.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To answer the thread question, directly….. Now that it was edited:

My guess is : 2000

With this post being 1893

And Gold will hit $2K , too. Some day.

HE>I

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I for one have seen the error of my Gold Kennedy bashing ways. I now plan to flip my outlook on these beautiful
    and valuable heirloom collectibles.

Yes, I now am planning to buy at least 20 of these Gold Kennedy's. Just as soon as Gold collapses to $500 / oz
    and I can get these at $350 each.

image >>

After reading 7 over 8 last post....That makes 2 of usimage
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess you just dont get it. The UHR and the Gold Kennedy's are not commems

if they aren't commemorative coins, then they aren't coins at all, either. Whinging "it's a type coin it's a TYPE coin!" will not make it so to others.

I'm an avid US type coin collector and speaking for myself, I have less than zero interest in this thing. Even at melt, there are other forms of gold I'd rather own.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

7/8, your faith in these JFK's is almost as misguided as my faith in precious metals. At least you're only fighting natural market forces.image

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no idea what's going to happen next week, but thinking as a collector...I see far stronger appetite for the silver Kennedys in a Kennedy set than Gold. The example has been set by the silver proof sets. I do not know how many Kennedy half collectors there are, but I imagine there are many fewer that believe they need a gold version for their set. There are just too many other coins I would rather have. I don't think I would buy one now if it was below melt (meaning a few points)....I simply just don't care.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Someone is going to look like an idiot when this is pulled up in a couple years. I didn't want a UHR when they came out and I don't want one now. I think most who would like one now wishes they bought one at mint issue price. As far as wanting some other gold coin with the money spent on a gold Kennedy everyone is different. I bought a couple Kennedy's and I have 2 daughters. I was in 4 th grade ( I can still picture myself in the class room) when we were told President Kennedy was shot. I was a 4th grader why on earth do I remember that? It was a big deal. I am nearing the tail end of my coin interest and I wish to put something away to forget about. I pick these because of my memories and these specifically ( I could just buy a Kennedy silver 50c) because there is so much negativity and the herd is usually wrong. I did place these on the BST for sale or trade with no real intention to do anything just because I could ( I was fishing). You might think CYA and say you believe these will be bullion or you believe these will do well.
    +2

finally, page # 20 of this thread came into existence for me image
    (My parameters allow for 100 posts per page)

<< <i>The JFK is not going to become another UHR in the aftermarket no matter how much one wants it to. >>

Never say never. We wait and see. You dont call the game in the 5th inning, especially when its a nice day.

<< <i>This coin is going no where fast or slow. More negative response than I have ever witnessed for a U.S. Mint issue. >>

Well, no need to go to far back - the 1995 10th Anniv Sets and it's packaging of the 1995-W ASE for the cool price of $999 caused a big out cry - and if there was a public forum like this, there would have been hundreds and hundreds of posts. I would argue that release had probably similar negative responses from the public.

<< <i>Someone is going to look like an idiot when this is pulled up in a couple years >>

Maybe, and maybe not. There are quite a few posts by current members who look like idiots with thier posts about the UHR - but they will never admit it and want to sweep it under the rug. They know who they are.......I guess you didnt buy too many at the bullion rateimage

Did I buy the flip many gold Kennedy's and make money? YES.
    Do I hold quantities so that it impacts my feelings about the coin? NO.

With that out of the way, I can say that my opinion is very objective. It is the opinion of some very respected members of this forum that these Gold Kennedy's are the ultimate Kennedy Type coin - and will be regarded as such in the future - just like the way the UHR is regarded today. This is not your typical gold commem.

When you go opposite the trend of this forum, most of the time you made the right move.

$1001.01 raw from bgasc

There was a recent bin for $920 from someone

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some products go through the roof. Some go under the radar.

You brothers know which coins I'm looking for.

HE>I

• OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,982 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well, no need to go to far back - the 1995 10th Anniv Sets and it's packaging of the 1995-W ASE for the cool price of $999 caused a big out cry - and if there was a public forum like this, there would have been hundreds and hundreds of posts. I would argue that release had probably similar negative responses from the public. >>

Not only was there outrage from many Silver Eagle collectors, there were quite a few unhappy campers among those collecting the annual Gold Eagle proof sets. Adding the Silver Eagle to the 1995 set broke the symmetry of the 4-coin sets that came before and after. About 10,000 collectors opted for the 4-coin set *without* the dreaded 1995-W Silver Eagle, even though they paid the same $999 that they would have paid for the 5-coin set. I guess this was more pleasing aesthetically, but financially the 5-coin set was the big winner. The biggest winners were those who bought the 1995-W Silver Eagle for about $265 from dealers who broke up the 5-coin sets to sell the coins as singles.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

<< <i>When you go opposite the trend of this forum, most of the time you made the right move. >>

7/8 for once I agree with you on a subject.
  • One more little tid bit I think we can blame on this Kennedy fiasco. No more a simple click of the button to cancel an order. You must call customer service and only prior to processing. Too many gold Kennedy cancels is probably the reason. My order for the clad Kennedy went immediately into processing so it looks like there will not be much opportunity to cancel. Keep that in mind on Tuesday.
  • KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>One more little tid bit I think we can blame on this Kennedy fiasco. No more a simple click of the button to cancel an order. You must call customer service and only prior to processing. Too many gold Kennedy cancels is probably the reason. My order for the clad Kennedy went immediately into processing so it looks like there will not be much opportunity to cancel. Keep that in mind on Tuesday. >>

I think we can expect a few surprises on Tuesday. Hoping for good ones. No bad ones, please.

• I bet all orders go right to processing so you can't cancel. Can't order 5 and expect to cancel after you see where the chips fall.
    it would be foolish to accept returns but not cancellations. the amount of bad blood would be tremendous.

• Their return policy clearly states returns until processing and my order went right to processing.
  • BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>12 raw @ $1236.82 ea >>

I think we all get it that the price of these has dropped. No need to post every new low price you find....

..and I should add that the NGC 70 ER sold today for $1445 which is exactly what I bought a couple for quite awhile ago...

<< <i>I think we all get it that the price of these has dropped. No need to post every new low price you find.... >>

There is the "will see melt" debate as yet unsettled.

<$100 away!

The drama!

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I think we all get it that the price of these has dropped. No need to post every new low price you find.... >>

There is the "will see melt" debate as yet unsettled.

<$100 away!

The drama! >>

Not to mention settling the claim that these will be selling at $1800-$1900 in 6mos. from release!

Keep us informed Ms. as the drama and tears unfolds.....
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • I was at a local show today.

As I was strolling around, looking for a few raw coins for my albums, and a nice, 2 cent RD, I passed a number of dealers with these Kennedy's in their cases, all PCGS FS 70's (just realized, ALL the gold Kennedy's I saw were PCGS, not ONE in NGC plastic).

Of the 6 that I stopped to ask, 'How much?', every single one of them was under $1,300 (1 was at $1,250, the other 5 were at $1,275-$1,299).

I'd think that the death knell has been sounded on these. Regardless of the reasoning why they are winners, they are losers. Though, it IS a good idea to pick some up, ONLY if gold sails down to $350...if not, enjoy them for their looks (if one can).
  • I was at a local show today.

As I was strolling around, looking for a few raw coins for my albums, and a nice, 2 cent RD, I passed a number of dealers with these Kennedy's in their cases, all PCGS FS 70's (just realized, ALL the gold Kennedy's I saw were PCGS, not ONE in NGC plastic).

Of the 6 that I stopped to ask, 'How much?', every single one of them was under $1,300 (1 was at $1,250, the other 5 were at $1,275-$1,299).

I'd think that the death knell has been sounded on these. Regardless of the reasoning why they are winners, they are losers. Though, it IS a good idea to pick some up, ONLY if gold sails down to $350...if not, enjoy them for their looks (if one can).
  • Have we decided to hate the silvers ?
  • 53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭
    I received the silver Kennedy set yesterday, and the coins are quite beautiful. The enhanced uncirculated is quite astonishing. Though I haven't bought the gold yet, as I think I can get it for less, ultimately, I'll come around to purchase at least one.

For all the complaints, the mint is putting out some beautiful products this year.
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
    Has the sale of the silver set sparked any renewed interest in the gold coin ?

My mom passed away on Oct. 1. Have been dealing with that as I am the executor.

Sold the house and have been busy going thru 50 years of accumulated possessions as that is how

long she lived in that house. It has put a damper on my collecting and I passed on the silver Kennedy Set.

I am thinking about ordering one set to keep raw but can't seem to pull the trigger for some reason.

RIP Mom & Dadimage
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭
    A PCGS 69 Gold Kennedy sells for $970.00 on the ebay Saturday .... PCGS 1st Strikes selling for 1,250.00 on the bay.. still going lower

The joke is on the ANA bus sitters, as their gold Kennedys inventory keeps going on down .. poetic justice

Yet these bus sitters dealers are still holding their gold kennedys .. which means prices still lowerimage
    Sorry to hear about your mom

Gold is showing no effect from plunging metals prices nor the silver set.

The clad is still oh household limit, is back ordered and just came off out of stock

There's like 180k pre-made and the new people shipped some orders the first day. 12 hours of sales were about 85k and sales are well over 100k now

I ordered at 12:08 and had mine Thursday.

They are above silver proof set quality but still not perfect. The most common complaint is "striping" on the enhanced uncirculated bust. This effect is the same as what can be found on silver and regular proof sets.

If you want a for sure first strike set to submit now, raw are going for $125-$135 on ebay.

$970.14 PC69 non-show

$970 n69 N-S

These beat the auction low for raw that I've seen: $1001.01 posted previously

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sales figures for the past month:

K14:
    10/5/2014.......2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY UNC CLAD SET....132,928...That's an increase of +183 over the previous week
    10/12/2014.....2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY UNC CLAD SET....133,818...That's an increase of +890 over the previous week
    10/19/2014.....2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY UNC CLAD SET....134,631...That's an increase of +813 over the previous week
    10/26/2014.....2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY UNC CLAD SET....136,614...That's an increase of +1,983 over the previous week
    11/2/2014.......2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY UNC CLAD SET....141,808...That's an increase of +5,194 over the previous week

K13:
    11/2/2014.......2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY SILVER SET.....125,147... That's an increase of +125,147 over the previous week

K15:
    10/5/2014.......2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY GOLD COIN...63,944... That's an increase of +187 over the previous week
    10/12/2014.....2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY GOLD COIN...64,098... That's an increase of +154 over the previous week
    10/19/2014.....2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY GOLD COIN...64,303... That's an increase of +205 over the previous week
    10/26/2014.....2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY GOLD COIN...65,039... That's an increase of +736 over the previous week
    11/2/2014.......2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY GOLD COIN...66,054... That's an increase of +1,015 over the previous week

HOW TO FIX CURRENT PAGE OF POSTS NOT SHOWING :

CLICK ON CUSTOMIZE, THEN CHANGE THE NUMBER OF MESSAGES LISTED IN A THREAD TO ( 100 )

THEN ALL CURRENT WILL SHOW AND YOU WILL HAVE FAR LESS PAGES TO LOOK THRU IN LONG THREADS.

FOR THIS THREAD ONLY 20 PAGES COMPARED TO 98 PAGES

NOTE CUSTOM SETTINGS ONLY WORK WHEN LOGGED IN
    I passed on the Kennedy Gold and will pass on the silver set also. I like to collect perfect things.

Meaning no lines, chips, streaks or other ugly distracting blemishes, and especially no Milk Spots.

I will wait until the mint improves production before I will make another purchase.
    thanks
    You are welcome. For thoes who do not like " shouting " on line I have removed the CAPS from the thread title.

As an accountant with bad typing skills, I often leave the cap lock on as most of the words I type are column headings on excel spreadsheets.
    Gold down $ 23 today .... the gold kennedy still lower ..Silver under $16

<< <i>As an accountant with bad typing skills >>

This could be a problem, especially with the number keys. image

• fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    No hate but I do find the silvers to be ordinary. After all the hassle in ordering, waiting on dam UPS to no show, and then getting them... that was enough disappointment that I am done.

<< <i>

<< <i>As an accountant with bad typing skills >>

This could be a problem, especially with the number keys. image >>

no problem with numeric keypad, however if I have to use the numbers above the letters, problem.

Thank God for backspace & edit.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file