Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Gold Kennedy minted to demand (Now 75,000 Limit) - Where does it go from here ?

Comments

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OUCH......$800 EACH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Below melt......image
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That last was for a sealed box of 5 but eBay says "this listing was ended because the item was sold." I'm not certain that this sold on the bay. This may just have been the bid when the seller ended the listing. If it did, it was well under melt.

Best Regards,

George
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    +5
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    +6
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    +7
  • Options
    +8
  • Options
    +9
  • Options
    +10
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>$4049.99 raw >>

Wow - Five raw, sealed, 1st strike eligible for $809.80 each. Should have put a reserve on that puppy. Brutal.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I have a sealed box with the Gold Kennedys, is it worth having graded, or should I just open it and enjoy the coin?

The only reason I kept it sealed was to gauge the demand for a possible FS. Right now, it seems pretty bleak.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Ouch! It gets worse every day!

What ever happened to all those people that were saying the price was going to get stronger after the weak links left?

I had 10 of those pigs ordered and cancelled before they could ship them to me and it was not because I was a weak link either.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ouch! It gets worse every day!

What ever happened to all those people that were saying the price was going to get stronger after the weak links left?

I had 10 of those pigs ordered and cancelled before they could ship them to me and it was not because I was a weak link either. >>

Not everyone was saying the price was going to get stronger. Some even said get rid of them quickly.

Posted 8/5: "If it smells like a bubble. . . "

Posted 8/5: "Maybe the "pigs at the trough" will regret paying too much."

Posted 8/12: << Hows it all gonna play out >> <<IMO, just like the UHR. >> "I'm thinking more like the baseballs."

Posted 8/28: "failure of gold prices to show signs of recovery have had a negative impact on recent gold commemoratives and gold special issues. For many, buying into a gold coin has to offer some promise of appreciation in the metal itself. Had the HOF and the JFK golds been issued when gold was moving up to new highs participation/demand would have been much greater."

And this was just from one poster who also suggested caution in many of the other JFK gold threads.

I'll say it again - flipping mint gold or silver collector coins in the face of declining precious metals prices should be avoided. The only exceptions are potential lowest mintage coins that will probably have to be held to maturity.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    I have 2 much less than the current mint price because you guys are so negative. I'm counting on you to be wrong again, we'll see.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>$4049.99 raw >>

Gotta be a little descriptive on this one....

Listing for 5 coins (so, just over $800/coin!!! Wow!).
    Listing is a little weird....end of description says "2 coins".

"Five 2014-W Gold 50th Anniversary Kennedy Half Dollar First Strike K15 (2 Coins)"

Someone took a very cold bath on these

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>$4049.99 raw >>

Gotta be a little descriptive on this one....

Listing for 5 coins (so, just over $800/coin!!! Wow!).
    Listing is a little weird....end of description says "2 coins".

"Five 2014-W Gold 50th Anniversary Kennedy Half Dollar First Strike K15 (2 Coins)"

Someone took a very cold bath on these >>

Seller has another auction for two Kennedy gold coins running, maybe the five coin listing was an incompletely modified listing using the two coin listing as a template?

Text
  • Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>New numbers:

9/28/2014...2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY UNC CLAD SET...132,745 That's +1,051 over last week.
    9/28/2014...2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY GOLD COIN..........63,757 That's +190 over last week. >>

More new numbers:
    10/5/2014...2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY UNC CLAD SET...132,928.... That's +183 over last week.
    10/5/2014...2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY GOLD COIN..........63,944.... That's +187 over last week.

Clad sales have been severely curtailed, probably because you couldn't order one on the mint site for days. (You can now, but was blocked earlier this week. Average 900/week over the last three weeks.)
    Gold sales have been very consistant, averaging about 185/week over the past three weeks.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 3 of these and I like them even though I haven't opened either box yet.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think if these get stronger it will be a year from now, not a week from now.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Currently available from the Mint at $1202.50 and with little effort they can be had for even less, graded with the OGP.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options

<< <i>just kidding. Looks like an error in the listing >>

The 5 box was really a 2

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>just kidding. Looks like an error in the listing >>

The 5 box was really a 2 >>

Yep, weight states only 2 pounds.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have 3 of these and I like them even though I haven't opened either box yet.image >>

I love my PCGS 70FS......I can wait as long as it takes....or if I die, whichever comes first. image
  • Options
    Took longer than a year for the UHR to take off. I expect to wait.
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Clad sales have been severely curtailed, probably because you couldn't order one on the mint site for days. (You can now, but was blocked earlier this week. Average 900/week over the last three weeks.) >>

...and why is there still a household limit of 5 on the clads?? Maybe they would sell more if collectors could buy more.....no?
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think these will outsell that Ultra High Relief coin. How many 3/4 ounces have sold by now ?
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    If the mint had done a 1 ounce high relief these would have potential, way too many sold for what it is. The mint could do a gold washington quarter, gold lincoln cent, gold jefferson nickel then maybe these would move to include in a set.
  • Options
    goldgirlgoldgirl Posts: 159 ✭✭

<< <i>...and why is there still a household limit of 5 on the clads?? Maybe they would sell more if collectors could buy more.....no? >>

• Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a lot of empty kennedy gold boxes are selling, hope none get ripped off with gold plated coins.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't think these will outsell that Ultra High Relief coin. How many 3/4 ounces have sold by now ? >>

Well, 1 day and 9 posts above yours, the numbers are listed if you really wanted to know image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>...and why is there still a household limit of 5 on the clads?? Maybe they would sell more if collectors could buy more.....no? >>

image >>

once they are off BO for a while, they'll probably remove the limit.

• Options

<< <i>I don't think these will outsell that Ultra High Relief coin. How many 3/4 ounces have sold by now ? >>

10/5/2014...2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY UNC CLAD SET...132,928.... That's +183 over last week.
    10/5/2014...2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY GOLD COIN..........63,944.... That's +187 over last week. (peak was over 64k. returns are being resold.)

numbers generally out tuesdays about 5pm est.

• Options
    I also bought 3. I had them graded. All First Strike, two 70's and a 68 image

I'll be holding them long term. It actually is a beautiful coin. IMHO
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I also bought 3. I had them graded. All First Strike, two 70's and a 68 image

I'll be holding them long term. It actually is a beautiful coin. IMHO >>

Don't fret too much as the 68 is the rare bird in your flock...

The value of these has way exceeded my lowest expectations.
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    I'm still here and prices will get stronger
    Except no one on this forum has any patience, must be a sign of the times
    if the coin doesn't pop in value within days of release it's a dog
    We will only see the true potential of this coin when sales cease and the
    weak hands stop dumping
  • Options
    IMHO the future of these is tied directly to the future of gold prices. Otherwise just another gold commemorative with a high mintage for a commemorative. Comparing these to the 2009 UHR will prove to be a mistake. Resellers still holding should wait it out.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    High Mintage (currently above the proposed 50,000 number made by one member) plus gold price decline

plus emotionally-charged personal attachment to the success of a commemorative equals desperation.

Derry is right - significantly rising gold will raise all ships.
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    This sold more than the RP Buffs, but it seems that ebay prices are pitiful.

it seem that many who want them have them and until the stuck flippers unload overhang, prices will be flat-ish. The UHR eventually turned around as it was still selling on ebay and the mint, but with not nearly as much overhang. I'd say, in hindsight, the UHR had a hidden supply deficit. As the mint can still make these until Dec 31, 2014, and sell them however long they wish, there will be more overhang from that. Turn around is going to be limited after these go off sale unless foreign markets can soak the overhang up. There will need to besome serious Kennedy fans out there to help this recover. I'm not going to say it can't be done, but it is not as easy as the UHR was. The difference between the UHR and this is evident on ebay right now. The UHR was never this bad and that is due to Kennedy over-supply plain and simple.

• Options
  • Options
    Ah - my bad. I didn't know it was just an "attention wanting" thing.

I just always expect others not to waste everyone's time. My bad for not understanding my own flawed premise on that.

• Options
    The UHR had it bad in the early days too---don't kid yourself, we were there to see it
    but many choose to ignore what happened
    However the UHR had rising gold prices, not falling like the Kennedy
    Will this coin take time to wake up, absolutely
    Patience is the key word and let the sales end and check back a month or two after they
    are unavailable at the us mint
    Then we can see how they perform
  • Options
    unfortunately patience is the only word for sellers who still hold them. Don't expect them to behave like the UHR sales did.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Took longer than a year for the UHR to take off. I expect to wait. >>

Not true. I was one of the first to get one. Took it to PCGS headquarters, same day grading-graded 70, and sold it for $3200.
  • Options
    +
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    And don't forget, it took awhile for the mint to even ship these out which also increased the interest. That was due to the error with the books which came along with the coin. I sold mine raw for $2K on a quick flip. They dig stagnate though for a while at some point months into things.

• Options
    A rising tide lifts all boats…
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>A rising tide lifts all boats…
    image >>

Not the ones with holesimage
  • Options
    C0INB0YC0INB0Y Posts: 627 ✭✭

<< <i>Not the ones with holes >>

Especially holes that are Titanic-like....
    I was ‘COINB0Y' with 4812 posts and ‘Expert Collector’ ranking (Joined in 2006).
  • Options
    Not true. I was one of the first to get one. Took it to PCGS headquarters, same day grading-graded 70, and sold it for $3200.

And people paid 20K for the first 6 Kennedy. Congrats you got the early stupid money. Did people get that 6 months later?
  • Options
    Oh absolutely the UHR stagnated---for months
    Shortly after shipments were flowing PCGS 70 FS were only selling
    at 1550 (depending on when you bought as little as. 200-300 over issue
    in a rising gold market !!!!
    These kennedy gold are reacting very much the same to date. Anyone who
    wants to counter the argument, fine, but don't just run your mouth--back it up
    with facts

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file