Home U.S. Coin Forum

Only 2 coins, but they are in motion (restoration order) at PCGS.

stawickstawick Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭

Wahoo. B)
I know things have been backed up at PCGS, but decided to submit 2 orders anyway on 1/31 (cross-country). 1 order was a Restoration order of the following 2 coins, which came back recently from my mid-Oct order with a suggestion to submit thru this process. You may have seen my question in the Q&A forum; apparently I'm not averse to asking ?s.
(The 2nd order was using their 5 for 4 deal going on, for about 27 2021 coins, including my Morgans.)

I wasnt expecting too much, but today the Restoration moved into Imaging and Encapsulation - after almost 4 weeks. It actually didnt feel as long - I must be busy or something. ;)
These were originally graded 69, and I dont expect to bump up, but hope they remove the impurities on them at least. I'll post the AFTER pix when they come back ... probably still some time away.

Comments

• AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice Coins!

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • stawickstawick Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭

@AMRC said:
    Nice Coins!

denke. I like 'em too. B)

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of course, I love the Kennedy.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

Depending how these turn out, I may also submit this for the same process later on. I'd like better luster in this gold 1/2 eagle. I always liked the design. Someone suggested selling it and buying something better, paying the diff. But I may stick with this tho.

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 24, 2022 2:50PM

@stawick said:

i am so sorry to read that the 2016 walker only has such a small spot of "toning."

if it had done that over most/all of the obv/rev of that gold coin, YOU WOULD HAVE A BEAST and an EXTREMELY rare one at that!!!

now and then, i see that happen on mint/proof set coins and even 2x2 with small holes/rips and usually it is crap toning but now n then, it is really really neat.

do you mind sharing what it was stored in?

link tv

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

@LanceNewmanOCC As with all the proofs I've sent in (over 200) in the last 2+ years, these were in the airtite(?) capsules sent direct from the US Mint to me, stored in a safe, hardly touched. When I sent to PCGS the capsules were stuffed in coin flips.

I kinda saw the mark on the 2016 coin when I sent it in, but when I got it back it looked "enhanced". I never saw what was on the Kennedy. Both might've happened when the capsules were cracked open. dunno??
    I'm surprised to hear that if it was covered in that it'd be something. ha - shows how much I know. Not much experience with toned coins, mostly Mint proofs and any smudge I thought was a detriment. :o

@stawick said:
    @LanceNewmanOCC As with all the proofs I've sent in (over 200) in the last 2+ years, these were in the airtite(?) capsules sent direct from the US Mint to me, stored in a safe, hardly touched. When I sent to PCGS the capsules were stuffed in coin flips.

I kinda saw the mark on the 2016 coin when I sent it in, but when I got it back it looked "enhanced". I never saw what was on the Kennedy. Both might've happened when the capsules were cracked open. dunno??
    I'm surprised to hear that if it was covered in that it'd be something. ha - shows how much I know. Not much experience with toned coins, mostly Mint proofs and any smudge I thought was a detriment. :o

appreciate the commentary. for those people that hold these rather expensive coins, i figured it may behoove them to read what may have caused that toning as i'm sure many DON"T want that on theirs and may be able to avoid it or check on theirs in SDB, safes etc to see if it is happening to theirs. so, thanks. :)

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

These Kennedys in particular suffered from these "copper spots". They are easy to fix at home and enclose pictures for those interested:

Before:

Post Redox (heated/microwaved vinegar, baking soda and aluminum foil):

No tricks, just simple and cheap chemistry.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.

@7Jaguars Thanx - that gives me hi hopes for my results. And may explain why it is a short(ish) turnaround.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coins.... I hope that 'spot' can be removed..... I consider it very unsightly and would not be happy if it were on a coin of mine. Let us know... Cheers, RickO

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

@7Jaguars
    Night and day on the results.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

Update - in Q/A on 3/1. (rubs hands together ... soon ... ? )

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the Kennedy, wtg

• coinercoiner Posts: 430 ✭✭✭

@7Jaguars said:
    These Kennedys in particular suffered from these "copper spots". They are easy to fix at home and enclose pictures for those interested:

Before:

Post Redox (heated/microwaved vinegar, baking soda and aluminum foil):

No tricks, just simple and cheap chemistry.

A simple bath in straight Nitric does the trick too.

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

Although possibly not as safe or cheap...

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • sumduncesumdunce Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭

Congrats. Thanks for the update.

edited March 4, 2022 8:06AM

I just saw the TV pix are ready and I checked them out. I may have to call PCGS about this, but the TVs show EXACTLY the same as above??? :/ Thinking they just reused the original TVs in this case, but not sure. May just have to wait to see if they "update" at all. Actually wait til I get them (soon) and check them out.

• jt88jt88 Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stawick said:
    I just saw the TV pix are ready and I checked them out. I may have to call PCGS about this, but the TVs show EXACTLY the same as above??? :/ Thinking they just reused the original TVs in this case, but not sure. May just have to wait to see if they "update" at all. Actually wait til I get them (soon) and check them out.

No, I believe it will show the new tv. It just take some time for the new photo to show up.

@jt88 said:

@stawick said:

No, I believe it will show the new tv. It just take some time for the new photo to show up.

OK. That has to be it - they just used the old pix as a placeholder maybe. Given a previous post showing how easy it was - and the clean results, and how too-similar these pix are, and they bumped a grade, it'll probably just be a matter of time.

Well, I just got the coins back. Good and bad.
    GOOD!! ===
    They DEFINITELY have all marks - dark and red - removed. Cleaned! B)

The bad -
    I contacted customer service about the TVs having the pre-restored coins - just to be sure and bring to their attention.
    Also, the slabs were slightly opened when I got them, and the coins are now rotated ~45 degrees, 1 left and 1 right. They were shipped in a plastic PCGS box inside their cardboard box (marked Fragile). More of a nuisance, really. However, when I handled the slabs I pressed them together, sealing them. Now they're sealed this way. Bah. :s

• PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 880 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow the slabs weren't sealed? That's worrying for a number of reasons. Yikes.

@PhilLynott said:

Yeah. They werent open-opened, but would press together. Not their best work IMO (Restoration - up to 70s - not withstanding). Well, maybe jostled in shipment, who knows?
    Havent had anything like this happen in 2+ yrs and 200+ coins. Just "humans being".
    If I ever sell these, will have to explain the rotation. :/

@stawick said:

@PhilLynott said:

Yeah. They werent open-opened, but would press together. Not their best work IMO (Restoration - up to 70s - not withstanding). Well, maybe jostled in shipment, who knows?
    Havent had anything like this happen in 2+ yrs and 200+ coins. Just "humans being".

if you have slabs that aren't sonically sealed 100% depending on just how bad they are, they probably have to go back, of course more ship, more risk. if you can live with the "gap" which could lead to those coins developing spots again, you can use an electric toothbrush and/or tapping rather hard to rotate the coins inside. there are a couple good vids on this linked on the forum.

happy you got 70s!

edited March 7, 2022 12:35PM

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@stawick said:

@PhilLynott said:

if you have slabs that aren't sonically sealed 100% depending on just how bad they are, they probably have to go back, of course more ship, more risk. if you can live with the "gap" which could lead to those coins developing spots again, you can use an electric toothbrush and/or tapping rather hard to rotate the coins inside. there are a couple good vids on this linked on the forum.

happy you got 70s!

Your voice of reason of course is a hard pill of truth to swallow. Its been since Oct-Dec last year getting initially graded, then another $220 and 2 months for this service, then it'll be another $40-60 I suppose to register-mail these back, and they'll probably take at least a $10 handling fee I suppose.
    I'll see what cust svc says. I'm sure it'll constantly bug me with the visuals.
    In the end - it'll be a story to tell. ;)

This worked, but showed how non-sealed the holders are. But they are oriented correctly.
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/479018/rotated-coins-in-holders

• fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭

@stawick said:
    GOOD!! ===

The bad -
    I contacted customer service about the TVs having the pre-restored coins - just to be sure and bring to their attention.
    Also, the slabs were slightly opened when I got them, and the coins are now rotated ~45 degrees, 1 left and 1 right. They were shipped in a plastic PCGS box inside their cardboard box (marked Fragile). More of a nuisance, really. However, when I handled the slabs I pressed them together, sealing them. Now they're sealed this way. Bah. :s

The holders are supposed to be sonic sealed. It sounds like they somehow skipped that process. Contact PCGS again and let them know they are not sealed. Ask for free shipping both ways as it was their mistake.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

@stawick said:
    Your voice of reason of course is a hard pill of truth to swallow. Its been since Oct-Dec last year getting initially graded, then another $220 and 2 months for this service, then it'll be another $40-60 I suppose to register-mail these back, and they'll probably take at least a $10 handling fee I suppose.
    I'll see what cust svc says. I'm sure it'll constantly bug me with the visuals.
    In the end - it'll be a story to tell. ;)

This worked, but showed how non-sealed the holders are. But they are oriented correctly.
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/479018/rotated-coins-in-holders

i understand. especially with the times we are in.

perhaps look for a show anywhere near you where pcgs may attend? if need be, to offset the cost you can plan on purchasing/selling some stuff while there if you have to go some distance. they you can just have them put into new holders pretty easily.

the crux is we really don't know how the coins will fare long-term and how long the slabs being open may subject them to possible future spotting. if for them not being 70s, i probably wouldn't have said anything. perhaps some others here with the same coin(s) as you but they have them raw can chime in about how their coins have fared, if many people even still have them raw.

i THINK you may have linked the incorrect thread. it was a fun read from some interesting and now inactive (passed?) members.

would post pics? it may also help others just in case this wasn't an isolated event with the slab not being sealed.

if no one else beats me to it, i'll try to find those electric toothbrush videos that VERY effective rotate coins in slabs although there are probably other devices with the same reverberation that could be used.

edited March 7, 2022 2:12PM

I'll try and take pix when I get a chance. I dont have any mis-oriented shots - no evidence. ;)
    I know from guitar pix my photo skills are limited - often too much flash, not very representative of real life. :o

After the reorienting tap-fix, I highly doubt these would survive a fall to a carpeted floor w/o splitting open. So I taped them up along the edge to be sure. I hope PCGS gets back to me on that point, I think these need to be fixed. The tape-job just looks too much like I tampered with it, looks fishy.

• NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sealed? How does something like that happen? I thought they go through a few quality checks before shipping out.

edited March 7, 2022 3:38PM

@fcloud said:

@stawick said:
    GOOD!! ===

The bad -

The holders are supposed to be sonic sealed. It sounds like they somehow skipped that process. Contact PCGS again and let them know they are not sealed. Ask for free shipping both ways as it was their mistake.

Yup - cust svc has been notified. I'll see how they respond.
    In fact I did resend with emphasis on the improperly sealed aspect.

I got a reply from cust svc today.
    I have to wait for the correct TVs. (Figured that may be the case. Was just surprised to see the old versions posted.)
    I need to send them pix (after I load them), but I took a few after I taped 'em back up. They'll "see if this can be corrected".

I know these are poor, especially the Obv. The 1st were the best, even if blurry.
    These were shifted pretty hard left and right before I rotated them. The slabs can pretty easily pop open.

• 53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭

So apparently a big positive for the people doing the Restoration, and a big fail for the sealers and checkers.

Thanks for making this post. Encouraging to see the results and your getting upgrades!

HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
    edited March 9, 2022 9:25AM

@53BKid said:
    So apparently a big positive for the people doing the Restoration, and a big fail for the sealers and checkers.

Thanks for making this post. Encouraging to see the results and your getting upgrades!

Well summarized. And I dont mean to harp on this, just providing status.

And a big "huzzah" (and I NEVER use that olde-timey word) to PCGS! They came thru on this! B)
    Gonna pre-paid-FedEx these back to them for free express re-holdering. I think theres a FedEx shipping post in a local Walgreens, so that makes it easier. The FedEx hub is a trip down the interstate.
    You might think (I had an inkling) cross-country air shipping may have attributed to this, but the holders are designed to hold up. Nothing was out of sorts in the packaging either. I've never remotely had a similar problem before and never read any other issue here. So possibly just a REAL LOW % slip in the process; it happens, we're human. They're handling it.

BTW, I took about 40 pix to get those lousy shots above. I actually have eye fatigue looking at them - lolz. ;)

Update for the curious ...
    Sent back 3/9, at PCGS 3/14, 3/22 in Encapsulation, 3/24 QA, ...
    Grades ready today, and they remained at 70. B) Whew!
    Still in PCGS' hands, but I'm sure they'll be back here soon.
    The TVs STILL show the pre-restoration pix, but are still being imaged, and we know theres a 30(+) day wait / delay.

@stawick said:
    The TVs STILL show the pre-restoration pix, but are still being imaged, and we know theres a 30(+) day wait / delay.

in the future, try setting the phone down on some flat-stacked books or something. if you have one of those finger rings on the back to make it easier to hold the phone, set the phone down on a sock to prevent wobble. (that's what i have to do) OR take the phone out of the case since the ring is attached to that, not the phone.

they also make mini copy stands for camera phones. some other(s) have posted a pic of them. pretty nifty.

glad your items are en-route.

/\
    heheh I ... have a camera on my digital camera, real old school.
    It has auto-focus, but not sure it works 100% in non-flash mode. W/o flash in natural light these come out shaky, and with flash - too much reflection from the slabs.

edited March 30, 2022 12:56PM

@stawick said:

Back in my hands today 3/30! B)

And better yet - the TVs are "corrected" as well! B)

<3<3

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file