Home U.S. Coin Forum

Gold Kennedy minted to demand (Now 75,000 Limit) - Where does it go from here ?

Comments

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Any predictions on the clad set and gold sales figures this Tuesday?

60000 >>

• HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    If the price of gold hit $1850 then these coins would certainly be selling at melt. Let's not forget what happened to some of the precious platinum coins when the metal prices skyrocketed.

And the stagnant Kennedy gold sales are showing what many here have already foretold, this coin is overpurchased already (desperation time on Ebay it appears). The ANA coins though are still doing great, that limited amount is selling like a different coin. What is the profit on the ANA coins? 2100 times $600 is $1.3 million dollars, it probably ends up being much more.
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If the price of gold hit $1850 then these coins would certainly be selling at melt. Let's not forget what happened to some of the precious platinum coins when the metal prices skyrocketed. >>

Not a big leap to make that statement, lots of classics sold for melt as well.

• FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    After going over the cliff with these precious Gold Kennedys, will the same crowd fall off the same cliff with the Silver
    ones? I'm betting on it. It's actually getting painful to watch.

What's really different between Mint product mania and $800 Million Lottery Jackpot mania? Not much difference.
    Although after the dust settles, with Coins you have something to fill up your storage spaces . And if your storage space
    comes at a high premium that's not a good thing. So maybe chasing lottery dreams is better than chasing flipper dreams?

Bleep bleep we're all just sheep. Maybe I won't even buy a couple of those Silver Sets. All I really want is just 1 set.
  • Overall I think people may be underestimating what these Kennedy's will do in the overseas market. I for one think that these will be especially huge in the German market. Big dealers like MDM and EMK will heavily promote these.

• epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have enjoyed following this thread. Thank you all for participating.

This has been like watching a bipolar person being treated with Rum and Ritalin. >>

It has been brutal viewing / reading so far.

Without restricting / denying returns and eliminating unlimited mintage by the mint, this goose is cooked, so is the next release, and so on, until the mint comes to its senses.

edited - There is no flip with unlimited returns and mintage, unless you catch the dealers at time of coin release or have a coin perceived to be valuable in hand very early in the flip game.

Crazy.

My .02
  • VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Supply is at it's peak. What will happen next year when you can't buy one from the mint and final mintage is ~70,000? No one knows but if gold is stable or rising these should do well to those who hold them.

The worst time to sell is now.

<< <i> What will happen next year when you can't buy one from the mint and final mintage is ~70,000?............The worst time to sell is now.

image >>

I'll go with the trend for pricing on these proof Kennedys right now. Customer perceived value may come into these Kennedy proofs coins over time, I doubt it.

I agree, worst time is to sell now. it could be a long haul, can't get much worse.

• I hope the silver has no limits. Max. or household. That should do it.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Overall I think people may be underestimating what these Kennedy's will do in the overseas market. I for one think that these will be especially huge in the German market. Big dealers like MDM and EMK will heavily promote these. >>

The overseas market is not showing itself on current ebay prices.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
    Im willing to bet 80% are looking to flip these at some point. Who is out there to buy all this output?

But buy buy buy if you think you will win at some point. At the very least you are somewhat protected by Golds
    melt value.

Have fun.
  • Not all is lost !! The .999 Kennedy Gold Half will be sensational as a piece of jewelry !! You can enjoy wearing it and not worry about it being worth less than melt !! What a deal !!
    Specialized Investments

• << <i>

<< <i>Overall I think people may be underestimating what these Kennedy's will do in the overseas market. I for one think that these will be especially huge in the German market. Big dealers like MDM and EMK will heavily promote these. >>

The overseas market is not showing itself on current ebay prices. >>

But...was the UHR when they firstcame out. I can give you a resounding no because I was in Germany when they were released, I even offered one to a local dealer I believe about a year after they were released and their offer was not to my liking.

Ebay markets in Germany are not everything when it comes to coins, however they have great coin promoters like EMK and MDM who can sell these to the masses. We'll see how the pverseas market reacts. I can tell you the baseball coins are also a big hit over here. We'll see how it all plays out...its still to early in the game
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coincidence? The 4 coin silver set is scheduled to be issued on 10/28 ( 2014 50th Anniversary Kennedy Half-Dollar Silver Coin Collection) just in time for the Whitman Baltimore Winter Expo on 10/30. Another potential circus if the US Mint is in attendance?
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not all is lost !! The .999 Kennedy Gold Half will be sensational as a piece of jewelry !! You can enjoy wearing it and not worry about it being worth less than melt !! What a deal !! >>

I know that this is tongue in cheek, but the Kennedy .999 coin will fair very poorly as jewelry. It is way too soft and will hairline easily. It will not look nice for long.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    I may order a few silver sets and see how they are going to do.

I can always dump them or send them back if nothing is happening with them.

Not going all in with them though.

<< <i>was the UHR when they firstcame out. >>

UHR was released in Jan 2009, into an economy that was descending dramatically and bottomed in Mar, 2009.

Not many (except the few, who have now scored, big time) were buying items from the mint.

My local weekly Pennysaver advertisement went from 16 pages to five pages in March, 2009. I and my buddies wondered, "WTH is going to happen next?"

Last thing I was going to do was buy gold from the US Mint in Spring, 2009. I mention this because nobody knew WTF was going on with the economy in the sweetspot of UHR release.

No wonder the 2009 UHR is desirable now, in this 2014 economy when the DJIA has restored money, the UHR would have been bought the sh^t out of in 2014, just like the proof Kennedy.

As long as there is unlimited mintage, it's a done deal in these days of customer perceived value.
  • Yet they still sold 115,000 UHR.

<< <i>Yet they still sold 115,000 UHR. >>

Would of sold 230,000 in 2014. MHO.
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Would of sold 230,000 in 2014. MHO. >>

Ahh, it gives me the shivers harking back to those Mint salad years of 2006-2009.

I am thankful I started on this forum then rather than now.

Can I get an amen from the class of 2006'ers?
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Amen! I bought one of the UHR's but thought i was crazy (because of the economy) and did not buy the fractional buffs!
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Would of sold 230,000 in 2014. MHO. >>

Ahh, it gives me the shivers harking back to those Mint salad years of 2006-2009.

I am thankful I started on this forum then rather than now.

Can I get an amen from the class of 2006'ers? >>

Hey Miles, Class of Oct 2006, AMEN!!!!

Can I get a What What?
    $1450 pcgs pr70dcam fs

Giving them max discounts, they made $60 or less.

$1459.59 etc

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

<< <i>Im willing to bet 80% are looking to flip these at some point. Who is out there to buy all this output?

But buy buy buy if you think you will win at some point. At the very least you are somewhat protected by Golds
    melt value.

Have fun. >>

Gold took a downhill run today

Rats ! Looks like melt value is going to be no protection at all.

Is Gold really the new Lead ?

imageBUT paper is the new GOLD ! So no worries, all the label collectors are covered.

image[

• << <i>

<< <i>

The overseas market is not showing itself on current ebay prices. >>

But...was the UHR when they firstcame out. I can give you a resounding no because I was in Germany when they were released, I even offered one to a local dealer I believe about a year after they were released and their offer was not to my liking.

Ebay markets in Germany are not everything when it comes to coins, however they have great coin promoters like EMK and MDM who can sell these to the masses. We'll see how the pverseas market reacts. I can tell you the baseball coins are also a big hit over here. We'll see how it all plays out...its still to early in the game >>

EMK offering 1 at $1370ish USD, even deeper discounts when you buy quantity. Euros know these are dogs for resale. Boring US Mint products tend not to sell to well over there.
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 10,143 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there a market for Kennedy products outside the baby boomer generation? There is a lot of JFK nostalgia among boomers but for collectors born later do they even care?image

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,211 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where's the floor ? Where's the ceiling ? Through the roof ? Where are the collectors ? I know a few hoarders of silver and gold who wouldn't know the difference between pneumatics or numismatics. The P is silent and the pronunciation is different with the former. Yet many claim to be the latter, & they're just blowing hot air with their savvy. image

• << <i>Where's the floor ? Where's the ceiling ? Through the roof ? Where are the collectors ? I know a few hoarders of silver and gold who wouldn't know the difference between pneumatics or numismatics. The P is silent and the pronunciation is different with the former. Yet many claim to be the latter, & they're just blowing hot air with their savvy. image >>

LOL...image
    I don't see emk has any up

Considering the prices for 70FS, I think if anyone is slightly interested, get one.

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From PCGS's perspective, is the Gold Kennedy a:

1) Gold Commemorative

2) Half Dollar

3) Bullion

I can't seem to find it in the Price Guide, the Population Report, or Coin Facts. Aren't they being graded, so where's the information?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can I get an amen from the class of 2006'ers?

Amen, Bro!image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Any predictions on the clad set and gold sales figures this Tuesday?

60000 >>

60,500 >>

Pessimists. image

New sales figures out:

K15...2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY GOLD COIN..........64,305 (That's +917 over last week.)
    K14...2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY UNC CLAD SET...124,887 (That's +4179 over last week.)

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>From PCGS's perspective, is the Gold Kennedy a:

1) Gold Commemorative

2) Half Dollar

3) Bullion

I can't seem to find it in the Price Guide, the Population Report, or Coin Facts. Aren't they being graded, so where's the information? >>

For the POPs,

The gold is under 50 cent proof gold commems.
    Modern Gold Commems PR

Clads are under Modern Silver and Clad Commems SP.
    Modern Silver and Clad Commems SP
  • KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the update BackroadJunkie.

For quick reference here are all the Kennedy numbers:

PCGS #530181 2014-P 50C UNC Set 50th Anniversary SP > Half Dollars, Kennedy Half Dollar, Type 3, Copper-Nickel Clad
    PCGS #530182 2014-P 50C UNC Set 50th Anniversary First Strike SP > Half Dollars, Kennedy Half Dollar, Type 3, Copper-Nickel Clad
    PCGS #530183 2014-D 50C UNC Set 50th Anniversary SP > Half Dollars, Kennedy Half Dollar, Type 3, Copper-Nickel Clad
    PCGS #530184 2014-D 50C UNC Set 50th Anniversary First Strike SP > Half Dollars, Kennedy Half Dollar, Type 3, Copper-Nickel Clad

PCGS #530177 2014-S 50C Enhanced - Silver 50th Anniversary Set MS > Half Dollars, Kennedy Half Dollar, Type 3, Copper-Nickel Clad
    PCGS #530178 2014-S 50C Enhanced - Silver 50th Anniversary Set First Strike MS > Half Dollars, Kennedy Half Dollar, Type 3, Copper-Nickel Clad
    PCGS #530179 2014-D 50C Silver 50th Anniversary Set MS > Half Dollars, Kennedy Half Dollar, Type 3, Copper-Nickel Clad
    PCGS #530180 2014-D 50C Silver 50th Anniversary Set First Strike MS > Half Dollars, Kennedy Half Dollar, Type 3, Copper-Nickel Clad
    PCGS #530169 2014-P 50C Silver 50th Anniversary Set, DC PR > Half Dollars, Kennedy Half Dollar, Type 3, Copper-Nickel Clad
    PCGS #530173 2014-P 50C Silver 50th Anniversary Set First Strike, DC PR > Half Dollars, Kennedy Half Dollar, Type 3, Copper-Nickel Clad
    PCGS #530174 2014-W 50C Reverse Proof 50th Anniversary Set PR > Half Dollars, Kennedy Half Dollar, Type 3, Copper-Nickel Clad
    PCGS #530175 2014-W 50C Reverse Proof 50th Anniversary Set First Strike PR > Half Dollars, Kennedy Half Dollar, Type 3, Copper-Nickel Clad

PCGS #530185 2014-W 50C Gold 50th Anniversary, DC PR > Half Dollars, Kennedy Half Dollar, Type 3, Copper-Nickel Clad
    PCGS #530186 2014-W 50C Gold 50th Anniversary Chicago - August 2014, DC PR > Half Dollars, Kennedy Half Dollar, Type 3, Copper-Nickel Clad

• bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭
    with the BonusBucks offer, a Gold kennedy comes close to melt ..wow!!!! A buy ????
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,211 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Can I get an amen from the class of 2006'ers?

Amen, Bro!image >>

+Hallelujah image
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    AMEN!

<< <i>

<< <i>Can I get an amen from the class of 2006'ers?

Amen, Bro!image >>

+Hallelujah image >>

I joined the Forum for the Anniv Gold rush in 2006 ..best deal yetimage
    By a longshot - the best flip in recent memory (excluding errors) was:

The 1999 $25 mini-bag of Delaware quarters. Check it out guys.

A prolonged period of $900 dollar sales per bag on ebay. Literally 3 + months.

Cost $29.95.

$25.00 face.

$4.95 risk.

30x times upside.

Screaming BUY at $1450.

I think many will be pleasantly surprised next year on the prices of FS PR70 DCAMs on the Gold Kennedy.
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>with the BonusBucks offer, a Gold kennedy comes close to melt ..wow!!!! A buy ???? >>

What is the Bonus bucks offer? Thanks
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!

<< <i>Screaming BUY at $1450. >>

Why?

<< <i>I think many will be pleasantly surprised next year on the prices of FS PR70 DCAMs on the Gold Kennedy. >>

How pleasantly surprised? Numbers and analysis, please.
    1st day Chicago label NGC 70 tops 3400.00 with 2 hours to go..... what decline ?

<< <i>

<< <i>with the BonusBucks offer, a Gold kennedy comes close to melt ..wow!!!! A buy ???? >>

What is the Bonus bucks offer? Thanks >>

8 %
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 10,143 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1st day Chicago label NGC 70 tops 3400.00 with 2 hours to go..... what decline ? >>

There have been plenty of posters defending the coin in the thread but no one has stepped up and said "I will pay $3400 for this"

The $3400 coin is one lonely antelope being chased by 100 hyenas.

• << <i>

What is the Bonus bucks offer? Thanks >>

Who said you cant buy one at melt? I swear people mocked me when I said that! What did Mr.T say? I can't belive how quite the fans of this coin got. Must be mad they got "burnt" on this issue.
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,121 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Day NGC Gold $.50 ANA Chicago
    Nice take for just standing in line at the right place.
  • CoinMeisterCoinMeister Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Can I get an amen from the class of 2006'ers? >>

Amen!
    "What we are never changes, but who we are ... never stops changing."
  • DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll admit I haven't read the entire thread, but don't you think the underlying series popularity has an effect on these issues?

Compare the following:

UHR - St. G
    Buff nickel - Buff gold
    Kennedy series - Kennedy gold

I would say just a glance tells me that the commemorative issues mimic the series popularity. As for HOF's and others -- I have no idea what the deal is!

Doug
    link

says it the best

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file