Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Gold Kennedy minted to demand (Now 75,000 Limit) - Where does it go from here ?

Comments

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Any Dealer known to be busing in large groups ought to be boycotted. Maybe that will help to restore order.
    It's one thing to even have show releases but when Dealers resort to any means to monopolize the show
    releases then they should feel a little collector justice. Profits earned by Coin Freaks stay in the hobby.
    Profits earned by street freaks goes anywhere but the hobby.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just remember the fiasco in the beginning with the LINES.
    and it reminded me of the gold rush and history of 1849, when a voice rang out "There's gold in them heels."
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just remember the fiasco in the beginning with the LINES.
    and it reminded me of the gold rush and history of 1849, when a voice rang out "There's gold in them heels." >>

The MInt , ANA show managers could have stopped this on day 1..they must need to placate the big dealers come on Silver
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just picked mine up today. The 1964 design was duplicated to a tee -- very cool. Kind of weird to see a half dollar in gold -- I am looking forward to receiving the clad and silver ones.

Looks nice in the mint packaging -- no "first strike" slabs for me on this one!
  • Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This was all a staged show that was pre planned by the dealers involved, the TPG's that issued the labels, the mint and the ANA.

What they did not expect was the number of true collectors that also showed up hoping to get a special coin to add to their collection

and their anger and fustration at what was allowed to happen.

Also adding to the frenzy were the dealers at the show swarming likes flys on $*** to get a piece of the profits.

P.S. Many people order a couple of extras to sell and help finance their collecting. If the BS that happened was not allowed there

would have been plenty of coins to go around for anybody who wanted one and the opportunity to make a small profit on resales of extras.

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    CoinMeisterCoinMeister Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭
    Had 5 of these and sold 4 instead and sent one to our host which came back PR69DC. I suppose I could be disappointed in not getting a PR70DC but if you play the game you take the risk. There is no shame (on my part) in a PR69DC. With all of the returns and the talk about the poor quality, I picked my best one and gave it a shot. Also, with the short interval remaining on FS (ends 9-3-14), the many returns and the few quality ones even making the trip to our host--I suppose a PR69DC isn't too shabby. Trust me, I really did think about keeping it in OGP, but then I thought I'll give it a try. Now its on to the silver in the Fall.
    "What we are never changes, but who we are ... never stops changing."
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are the first strikes worth anything over Mint issue price in PR69DCAM?
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    CoinMeisterCoinMeister Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Are the first strikes worth anything over Mint issue price in PR69DCAM? >>

Not sure it would be worth selling on 'the bay' given the fees/shipping and such. I believe PR69DC are currently selling in the $1,375 - $1,450 range. Should I sell, I wouldn't sell there. I also realize that even if I sell now with no fees, I would break even given what I paid for the coin and the cost to grade/ship. I may keep mine for a bit. I am in no hurry. Just wanted one and while I had hoped for a PR70DC, I am good with the one I have for now. As I had said, it was a risk.
    "What we are never changes, but who we are ... never stops changing."
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,510 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if the grade does not fit, you must resubmit

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    Whole thing is goofy and screwed up. What a fustercluck.

Advice to the mint: Limit units sold to 100,000, sell on internet only, forget the show releases, buyers be ready @ 12pm ET at release date / time and let the chips fall where they may, ala 2011 25th Anny ASE five coin release. Unless I'm incorrect, that release still holds value, about $1200 vs. $350 purchase price and another $200 for grading for MS70s.

Unlimited mintage plays against customer perception of value. image unlimited mintage.

MHO
  • Options
    brendanlambrendanlam Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

<< <i>if the grade does not fit, you must resubmit >>

I don't get it how that work, cause based on video from YouTube, each coin take at least 2 person grading it before final grade issue for each coin. if someone does agree with the grade issued and resubmit it for new grade and if they change new grade, how can we trust them?

pcgs grading process video
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>if the grade does not fit, you must resubmit >>

LOL
    Doug
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Not quite
    My guess is 42,000 golds >>

Still high for a gold commemorative, as special as this is.

After a shipping screw up, and comments about the quality, lack of secondary interest, as well as the negative expression here, I cancelled my order for five just now.

I will purchase a graded 70 once the market's flooded with them a few weeks from now.

HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Are the first strikes worth anything over Mint issue price in PR69DCAM? >>

Not really and as a rule moderns in 69 FS usually sell in the same price range as raw w/OGP.

• Options

<< <i>Whole thing is goofy and screwed up. What a fustercluck.

Advice to the mint: Limit units sold to 100,000, sell on internet only, forget the show releases, buyers be ready @ 12pm ET at release date / time and let the chips fall where they may, ala 2011 25th Anny ASE five coin release. Unless I'm incorrect, that release still holds value, about $1200 vs. $350 purchase price and another $200 for grading for MS70s.

Unlimited mintage plays against customer perception of value. image unlimited mintage.

MHO >>

finding the right limited mintage to balance supply and demand is impossible unless they do pre-orders only. Even then, they'd have to deal with returns they can't re-ship.

The limited mintage issues play to the flippers who can game the system.

More importantly, limited issues can leave some collectors wanting but not having.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Whole thing is goofy and screwed up. What a fustercluck.

MHO >>

The complaints surrounding the 25th Anniv set is precisely how we got to an open window, unlimited mintage for special mint sets. (And one of the reasons the 25th holds value are the two key coins in it.)

In 2012 and 2013, the mint went to a four week, mint-to-order system. They were both cluster-f's for one reason or another (like 1+ month to ship the products, and the 3 month wait for the mint to get more packaging for the SF set.) However, they were now being criticized for pressing too many coins, and making them (relatively) worthless in the after market, not to mention the cost of approx $75/coin.

In 2014, they do the RP Buffalo (4 week, mint-to-order with the price is right in line with the proof buffalo), and the mint was criticized for taking too many to the ANA, and stiffing the people who had to order on-line who now had to wait for the coins.

So for the Kennedy issue, they severely limit the number of coins sold at the show, and are criticized for it. In order to quell the criticism of previous sets, the pre-press 40K so delivery can be made (almost) immediately, and of course, they flood the market all at once making resale plummet (which would be expected, imo), and are criticized for it.

So, damned if you do, and damned if you don't. But I wouldn't complain about how the mint is selling these special sets. They're reacting to public complaints.

Personally, I think the way the mint intended to market this coin was right on. A limited number at the ANA, immediate release of 10's of thousands of coins to satifiy THE COLLECTORS. It seems to me the dealers and flippers are the one's who got in the way. (There is another party also responsible, but I'll refrain from pointing out who they are... image )

As a collector, who only ordered one and am not going to have it graded (all Kennedy's released this year goes into my collection raw), I'm not only satisfied with how the mint handled my order with very timely delivery, but have gotten hours of entertainment watching the circus. image
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unlimited mintage on popular designs and no returns . Even better set a certain mintage and then change it to unlimited , then change it again to limited .

Never mind what flippers or dealers want treat them like cattle and lead them to the slaughterhouse. Bleed them of every dollar

Alternately restrict mintage on the questionable designs to artificially make a market. Set an ultra low mintage for ugly coins like the girl scout dollar. Force the greedy to load up on the hideous coins image

With the girl scout dollars for instance , 90% of them could be owned by one nimrod . He read all the Scott Travers books and identified a potential rarity and cornered the market . He probably lives in a double wide trailer with no actual furniture. He has chairs made out of crates of girl scout coins in first strike slabs. He will sit on those coins, "literallyimage " until hes dead .

• Options
    Has anyone considered buying the 2014 Civil Rights Act of 1964 Silver Dollars to go with their Gold Kennedy?

Maybe some nimrod wants to get a couple thousand to sell to the ones who will be buying after being shut out ? image
  • Options

<< <i>"The problem is demand for the gold issue was fairly well over-estimated by some larger flippers and the amateur flippers."

True the resulting demand turned out to be way less that expected and the over supply way greater, however

it is not the "CAUSE" of the problem, it is the "RESULT" of the problem. And the two main problems thet caused the lack of demand are:

1. The deplorable tactics of a handful of dealers at the ANA show and the mint gift shops.
    2. The number of poor quality coins shipped by the mint.

This led many collectors like myself to decide I did not even want to take a chance of getting a bad coin at such a high investment and

the stink of the show and mint locations would probably kill a lot of future demand for the coin.

Many flippers deceided also not to take a chance on bad coins that obviously fewer people wanted to buy.

Instead of the usual slow death of modern issues a mass suicide of the gold Kennedy's occured. >>

You could almost say a gang of Dealers acted together to " assassinate" this coin. image
  • Options
    TheRockTheRock Posts: 766 ✭✭
    I'm with most of you on this particular coin. I do collect Kennedy's from 1964-Present (PR & MS) and also wish the series would end soon.

However, I wanted (1) GOLD coin in a PCGS FS PR70 holder but "NOT" the ANA labeled FS one.

I ordered (5) online the first day so I could send them into PCGS. I received my on-line order last week of the (5) that were ordered and all were sent back because they were all "FUGLY". My son canceled his order of (5) online because of this and we just purchased the (1) that we needed from a friendly dealer just so we could have (1) for the collection.

$1600.00 was a bargain to skip all the hassle of sending them in and then selling the extra's.

Thank goodness that their are some dealers still out there willing to do a smooth and friendly transaction were both parties "WIN" !!

BTW - I LOVE THE COIN !!

"GOT TO LOVE THEM SMALL SIZE DEUCES, SC's, LT's & FRN's"

John DeRocker
    President/CEO
    The Rocks Collectables, LLC
    TRC, LLC
    jderocker003@gmail.com
    SPMC Member - LIFETIME
    EBAY - TRC, LLC

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    There's another $12500 the mint has to return.
  • Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could almost say a gang of Dealers acted together to " assassinate" this coin.

Latest dealer prices:

PCGS PR70 FS AT $ 1,650 NGC PF70 ER AT $ 1,550

PCGS PR70 FS ANA AT $ 2,800

EBAY Sold prices:

PCGS PR70 FS AT $ 1,452 NGC PF70 ER AT $ 1,475

PCGS PR70 FS ANA AT $ 2,225
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When all is said and done, I think that this an attractive coin. I like the one I have, and I'm glad I have regardless of what the prices do in the future. Having had some bad luck in the past with the coins I have purchased directly from the mint, getting a piece without obvious marks and die polish problems is refreshing.

So far as the dealers go who played with the market, shame on them. Those who bought from them at inflated price do have themselves to blame, but they also should remember this experience the next time around. I don't know about most collectors, but when a dealer beats me out of some money, I am hesitant to do business with him or her again.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

<< <i>You could almost say a gang of Dealers acted together to " assassinate" this coin.

Latest dealer prices.

PCGS PR70 FS AT $ 1,650 NGC PF70 ER AT $ 1,550

PCGS PR70 FS ANA AT $ 2,800 >>

WAY overpriced for a coin that can be had for less then issue price on ebay already graded. I feel bad for people who do not do the homework to find it cheaper. They will be buried in that coin forever unless a climb in gold prices bails them out!!
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm with most of you on this particular coin. I do collect Kennedy's from 1964-Present (PR & MS) and also wish the series would end soon.

However, I wanted (1) GOLD coin in a PCGS FS PR70 holder but "NOT" the ANA labeled FS one.

I ordered (5) online the first day so I could send them into PCGS. I received my on-line order last week of the (5) that were ordered and all were sent back because they were all "FUGLY". My son canceled his order of (5) online because of this and we just purchased the (1) that we needed from a friendly dealer just so we could have (1) for the collection.

$1600.00 was a bargain to skip all the hassle of sending them in and then selling the extra's.

Thank goodness that their are some dealers still out there willing to do a smooth and friendly transaction were both parties "WIN" !!

BTW - I LOVE THE COIN !! >>

What made the coins "Fugly"??
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    Question I have. Will the popularity of this coin grow over time or overshadowed by newer releases and nearly forgotten.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    TheRockTheRock Posts: 766 ✭✭
    What made the coins "Fugly"??

3 of the 5 had hits all over the coins. Looked like some just beat it to death. The other 2 had some hits but a HAZE all over the coin. Even if the haze could be removed, the hits would still be very visible.

NONE would have graded PR70 unless the graders were DRUNK that day.

"GOT TO LOVE THEM SMALL SIZE DEUCES, SC's, LT's & FRN's"

John DeRocker
    President/CEO
    The Rocks Collectables, LLC
    TRC, LLC
    jderocker003@gmail.com
    SPMC Member - LIFETIME
    EBAY - TRC, LLC

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> They will be buried in that coin forever unless a climb in gold prices bails them out!! >>

I know it might sound totally weird but...maybe...just maybe...they freakin COLLECT coins and do NOT worry about being "bailed out".....
  • Options
    I tried to edit my last post but it seems to be in never never land....anyway...

I bought couple of NGC 70's right at $1600 and a few days ago added a couple more when they dropped to $1450 range.....they are now selling BIN at $1580 so the base is still wandering. I do not feel like I am stuck with any of them....I like the coin....

I did cancel my Mint order for 4 of them and opted to just get 70's
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> They will be buried in that coin forever unless a climb in gold prices bails them out!! >>

I know it might sound totally weird but...maybe...just maybe...they freakin COLLECT coins and do NOT worry about being "bailed out"..... >>

I don't care what you "collet" or what you pay but if your dumb enough to over pay for anything you deserve to lose money.
  • Options
    I guess everyone should clear their purchases with those who confuse opinions with facts and can see into the future

Thanks for the info.....I'll make a note for next time

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I guess everyone should clear their purchases with those who confuse opinions with facts and can see into the future

Thanks for the info.....I'll make a note for next time

image >>

Thanks BigA. Next year when sales are completed and final mintage numbers are in there will be thousands of collectors happy with their coins. That much we do know. All else is conjecture.

• Options
    get ready Silver set go on sale 28OCT
  • Options

<< <i>Question I have. Will the popularity of this coin grow over time or overshadowed by newer releases and nearly forgotten. >>

The coin has already been through its most popular period when the homeless people lined-up to buy it at the ANA. From here on out it will be one more line on the Gray Sheet, and one more picture and citation in the Red Book.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I for one will put it on the list right behind the UHR for mint products that I would really like to have, but I am willing to wait for a price I think is reasonable, or never get to own one. Probably happen when gold's value relative to other mediums moves back to a ratio similar to what was happening in 2000-2004.
    Doug
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No announcements, but will they use the Baltimore show to bring out the silver versions?
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

<< <i>No announcements, but will they use the Baltimore show to bring out the silver versions? >>

Probably ... The time of issue will be close to then.

After the though toasting that some got from the gold Kennedy fiasco, perhaps the line will only homeless people on it.
  • Options

<< <i>No announcements, but will they use the Baltimore show to bring out the silver versions? >>

If it comes with show labels, endless lines, and canceling sales 24 hours before they are to end, sounds good to me. Bad pub is better than no pub.
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks to brendanlam who posted the announced sale date for the 4 coin silver as Oct 28, confirmed on the mint site. Is that close to the Baltimore show?

edited to add:
    Found it
    Baltimore Winter Expo (Oct 30 – Nov 2, 2014)
    So they go on sale a couple days before the show.

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks to brendanlam who posted the announced sale date for the 4 coin silver as Oct 28, confirmed on the mint site. Is that close to the Baltimore show? >>

will the greedy dealers bus people into the Show using dealer passes ?.. Can't as bad as the poor showing from the ANa Show
  • Options
    kudos to bronco2078 for "There's always money in the banana stand" image
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks to brendanlam who posted the announced sale date for the 4 coin silver as Oct 28, confirmed on the mint site. Is that close to the Baltimore show?

edited to add:
    Found it
    So they go on sale a couple days before the show. >>

maybe the mint has improve shipment process and start ship it out on 30 Oct same as show date.
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Thanks to brendanlam who posted the announced sale date for the 4 coin silver as Oct 28, confirmed on the mint site. Is that close to the Baltimore show?

edited to add:
    Found it

maybe the mint has improve shipment process and start ship it out on 30 Oct same as show date. >>

For the gold it was a little over a week, 9 days to be exact, and they had 40,000 minted in anticipation. I would expect about the same for the 4 coin set. Don't forget they have to vet the orders received on that first day. 9 days again would be welcome.
    For sure it will be somewhat like Chicago. Just how close has yet to be determined.

edited to add:
    And this should be the first test of the new ordering system. Will be a big unknown effect. Jamed up? or jelly tight? 50 / 50

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was reading in NN today how dealers were complaining of a bad ANA show bc of all the houpla around this coin. I would be furious to be trying to setup and then be jostled by people in line to buy those knowing that would be taking money away from my show sales. A couple of them said they had low sales and one said it was impact of online buying and selling. I think the people coming in the door were broke from spending it all the Bay and what little they had went to the Kennedys.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>I was reading in NN today how dealers were complaining of a bad ANA show bc of all the houpla around this coin. I would be furious to be trying to setup and then be jostled by people in line to buy those knowing that would be taking money away from my show sales. A couple of them said they had low sales and one said it was impact of online buying and selling. I think the people coming in the door were broke from spending it all the Bay and what little they had went to the Kennedys. >>

Nah, it was a few dealers at the show that financed and bought up most of the coins released over the 3 days of sales so unless "those dealers" were the other dealers only buyers....I say nonsense.
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    If you look at current pops for FS pr70's, the grade thru Is 1 in 2.
    If this rate continues, as the pops grow and absorb the large amount of
    70's graded at the show ( I think some junior graders must have been there)
    the price of FS 70 dcam coins will be a little more expensive
    Pay attention and get a 70 at depressed pricing while you can
  • Options
    on the other hand, the UHRs went off at 1 out of 2 70

the uhr had black spots struck into the rims and near the rims.

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

edited to add:
    Found it

maybe the mint has improve shipment process and start ship it out on 30 Oct same as show date. >>

For the gold it was a little over a week, 9 days to be exact, and they had 40,000 minted in anticipation. I would expect about the same for the 4 coin set. Don't forget they have to vet the orders received on that first day. 9 days again would be welcome.
    For sure it will be somewhat like Chicago. Just how close has yet to be determined.

edited to add:
    And this should be the first test of the new ordering system. Will be a big unknown effect. Jamed up? or jelly tight? 50 / 50 >>

As much as I looked at PBGS/Novitex/etc, I just can't figure out what took them so long to fulfill orders. Maybe it was some security measure that other companies don't have to deal with, but some things just stymied me. I don't think I've dealt with another company that had such problems. Considering the rate they were charging credit cards, it's like they were still using 20 year old technology.

PFSWeb (the new fulfillment company) is already handling several other companies, so I hope there's an improvement. Shipping from two locations should help as well.

If I were the mint, I'd pre-press 100K of these things, and flood the Baltimore show with 35,000 sets. (Yes, I think the mint may sell 100K silver sets.) Make the Baltimore label as common as a First Strike label.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    They did not have any trouble selling 250 K of the 3 coin anniversary set a few years ago and they still command a good premium.

Whatever amount they have made will be the total as they sure will not have a chance to make any more as it is too near the end of the year and too many different coins involved to go back and make any more.

They will already be in production for the 2015 silver eagles by then.
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    IMO the will strike that set 24/7 to the tune of 350000 plus

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file