Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Gold Kennedy minted to demand (Now 75,000 Limit) - Where does it go from here ?

Comments

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    link

says it the best
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>with the BonusBucks offer, a Gold kennedy comes close to melt ..wow!!!! A buy ???? >>

What is the Bonus bucks offer? Thanks >>

Who said you cant buy one at melt? I swear people mocked me when I said that! What did Mr.T say? I can't belive how quite the fans of this coin got. Must be mad they got "burnt" on this issue. >>

Ebay bucks are capped at $100 per transaction

Anyway, we were talking out side such offers.

There always was 2% never considered

When one hammers at melt, outside special offers but including s&h, I'll say I didn't it would happen but was wrong.

I only got 5% bucks and 5% more on daily deals.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>with the BonusBucks offer, a Gold kennedy comes close to melt ..wow!!!! A buy ???? >>

What is the Bonus bucks offer? Thanks >>

Ebay rebate incentive

You have to sign up for them

Ebay has various promos now and then

The 2day promo now is 8% back up to $100 on purchases over 150
    but mine is 5% plus 5% more on any ebay deal

Any item using a bullion category get 0.00% always

Finding stuff I want outside of bullion is next to impossible now. image

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>First Day NGC Gold $.50 ANA Chicago
    Nice take for just standing in line at the right place. >>

I'll just take a 70 and a tshirt reading "first day of online order"

• Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭

<< <i> The Kennedy Gold Half Dollar is not a series of coins that numismatists are collecting. This is a one-time only anniversary issue and will not be minted again in 2015.
    This Kennedy gold coin only contains ¾ of an ounce of .999 fine gold -- an off weight and not popular with collectors.
    The mintage is unlimited. The U.S. Mint could produce over 100,000 coins, which is very high for a gold commemorative coin.
    You are not buying or investing in a rare coin; you are paying a very large premium for a label that has little to no chance of becoming part of a registry collection by PCGS or NGC. >>

The above comments are from the article linked above.......

I think the author misses the point in many of his comments.

1) The Kennedy Gold Half Dollar is not a series of coins that numismatists are collecting. This is a one-time only anniversary issue and will not be minted again in 2015.

Right. Exactly. But it was never meant to be a series. This coin represents the ultimate Kennedy Half TYPE COIN. A once and done TYPE coin.

2) This Kennedy gold coin only contains ¾ of an ounce of .999 fine gold -- an off weight and not popular with collectors.

Hmmm. Lots of off weight popular gold coins. Lets start with the fractional Buffaloes of 2008. How about the fractional eagles. Doesn't make sense to me.

3) The mintage is unlimited. The U.S. Mint could produce over 100,000 coins, which is very high for a gold commemorative coin.

Can we all say "UHR". Sure mintage matters, but demand matters as well. Anything under 75,000 coins will be just fine. Under 60,000 and it will be much better.

4) You are not buying or investing in a rare coin; you are paying a very large premium for a label that has little to no chance of becoming part of a registry collection by PCGS or NGC.

I didnt think we were talking about labels - but rather the coin. IMO, I wouldnt pay for the label......save for the FS PR70 DCAM, which will bring a premium as we all are aware. Also, the jury is out if this coin will be added as a component of the Kennedy Half Set, if so - added pressure for the collectors of Kennedy sets to acquire one.....as thier sets will not be complete without one!

All the negativity reminds me of a few releases in the past, going all the way back to the 1995-W ASE.

It all translates to buying one.
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    I plan on buying a few more. I enjoy the coin, I bought it for no other reason but that~to"enjoy"image

BTW every family member and non collector I have showed it to really like it.
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the vast majority of Kennedy collectors don't care about this coin, I guess the powers that be could force it into the Red Book, etc. as part of the regular series and maybe people would care. 60,000 or 75,000 is a huge mintage for a gold commem.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    Sales were up on both gold and clad this past week

• Options

<< <i> I guess the powers that be could force it into the Red Book, etc. as part of the regular series and maybe people would care. 60,000 or 75,000 is a huge mintage for a gold commem. >>

Yes they could include it as part of the Kennedy Series.

60,000-75,000 is not large - not for a Kennedy Type coin. Just look at the UHR at 115,000. Its all about demand.
  • Options
    I knew UHR and Kennedy, you are no UHR.

I own only a few random pieces of gold, I do not collect it, but I'd much rather have a UHR than a Kennedy. I like Kennedy halves but do not think this is part of the "set".

Only time will tell.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS Kennedy gold F/S 70 auctions are now closing below $1450.

REf: 380981274830, 291224963696, 371134364086

NGC 70 slightly weaker
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>PCGS Kennedy gold F/S 70 auctions are now closing below $1450.

REf: 380981274830, 291224963696, 371134364086 >>

But they are a screaming Buy at these levelsimage
  • Options
    Yes they are. If you see the rate of FS 70's, it isnt crazy high. So no laughing going on here, just strategic buying.

This is the bottom. Same thing happened with the UHR's. They bottomed at 1650 or so for FS 70's.

Where are they now......
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Can I get an amen from the class of 2006'ers?

Amen, Bro!image >>

Looks like I just missed the cut. image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Amen, Bro!image >>

Looks like I just missed the cut. image >>

Nah, we are a collective group of lucky Mint collectors from 2006-2009.
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

<< <i>

But they are a screaming Buy at these levelsimage >>

1st 1426
    2nd 1450
    3rd 1470

1426 is a low, I think

Screaming?

If someone wants a 70 kennedy, I'd buy

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << I think many will be pleasantly surprised next year on the prices of FS PR70 DCAMs on the Gold Kennedy. >>

How pleasantly surprised? Numbers and analysis, please.

Some observations, if not an analysis:

Most reports are that the coin is well-executed and attractive. This is a plus for the demand side of any coin.

The gold Kennedy will be a one-off event, but who doesn't think that when the Jackie Gold Spouse coin is released we will see a jump in the JFK gold Half demand? I easily see promotions of a JFK-Jackie set in the future. Easily. And based on what they are getting away with for the ANA labeled coins, such a set won't be cheap. My opinion.

I think that the UHR analogy is valid in terms of the subject popularity and the unique nature of the issue. Further, if sales of 109,000 1 oz. coins didn't discourage demand sufficiently to impair the price appreciation, it seems likely that 65,000 to 90,000 3/4 oz. coins won't overwhelm the final demand for a coin that's priced similarly with respect to the price of gold at the time.

If you've obtained or read a copy of Eric Jordan's book and study the normal sales curves for just about every precious metal Modern coin, you'll see that the sales are proceeding very predictably, and that 7over8's comments are pretty much dead-on with respect to the projected mintage figures.

This is what will most likely be a final tip of the hat to JFK & Jackie. There will be a phenomenon as Jackie's 2015 release date approaches, and it will be a successful last hurrah.

Ah, Overdate - you've given us some of the best analysis and observations since we've been here. I wouldn't say that you've missed anything.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Amen, Bro!image >>

Nah, we are a collective group of lucky Mint collectors from 2006-2009. >>

Woo-hoo!!! imageimage
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Anyone looking to buy these or is everyone looking to sell? At this stage of the game, is anyone still planning to buy from the
    Mint?

Are there any ideas about how sales will end? Last I heard, the Mint had materials to make 75,000 - will that be the limit?
  • Options

<< <i>I think the vast majority of Kennedy collectors don't care about this coin, I guess the powers that be could force it into the Red Book, etc. as part of the regular series and maybe people would care. 60,000 or 75,000 is a huge mintage for a gold commem. >>

The 1998-S burnished silver Kennedy clocked in at about 62,000. They can be found today for under $200, and many collectors do not consider them to be part of the regular series.

Can I get an amen from the class of 2006'ers?

Thanks for the votes of confidence. Tracking the Mint's offerings and snagging some low-population issues has been a fun ride (and still is). image

• Options
    C0INB0YC0INB0Y Posts: 627 ✭✭
    Amen to you and to Miles
    I was ‘COINB0Y' with 4812 posts and ‘Expert Collector’ ranking (Joined in 2006).
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    I doubt if they will be going back and minting anymore of these coins at this point as they cant even sell what they now have.
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Tracking the Mint's offerings and snagging some low-population issues has been a fun ride (and still is). image >>

2011 wasn't too bad either with the US Mint delayed 2010 5 oz puck hysteria / fustercluck and the 25th Anny ASE Release, so I think the 2006 - 2009 date should be 2006 - 2011.

LOL

Of course, the 5 oz 2010 pucks are in the toilet vs. their selling price highs, the 2011 25th Anny hold its value.
  • Options

<< <i>Some observations, if not an analysis:

Most reports are that the coin is well-executed and attractive. This is a plus for the demand side of any coin.

The gold Kennedy will be a one-off event, but who doesn't think that when the Jackie Gold Spouse coin is released we will see a jump in the JFK gold Half demand? I easily see promotions of a JFK-Jackie set in the future. Easily. And based on what they are getting away with for the ANA labeled coins, such a set won't be cheap. My opinion.

I think that the UHR analogy is valid in terms of the subject popularity and the unique nature of the issue. Further, if sales of 109,000 1 oz. coins didn't discourage demand sufficiently to impair the price appreciation, it seems likely that 65,000 to 90,000 3/4 oz. coins won't overwhelm the final demand for a coin that's priced similarly with respect to the price of gold at the time.

If you've obtained or read a copy of Eric Jordan's book and study the normal sales curves for just about every precious metal Modern coin, you'll see that the sales are proceeding very predictably, and that 7over8's comments are pretty much dead-on with respect to the projected mintage figures.

This is what will most likely be a final tip of the hat to JFK & Jackie. There will be a phenomenon as Jackie's 2015 release date approaches, and it will be a successful last hurrah.

>>

Thanks, good points + well done. image

edit - just bought a copy of E Jordan book off Amazon to see what the sales curves, etc are all about, thanks for the tip
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Amen, Bro!image >>

Nah, we are a collective group of lucky Mint collectors from 2006-2009. >>

Woo-hoo!!! imageimage >>

• Options

<< <i>The 1998-S burnished silver Kennedy clocked in at about 62,000. They can be found today for under $200, >>

Well if you take a hard look - that set was offered at $59.95. After allocating the standard $30 for the RFK Silver Dollar (Give or take a few bucks) you had about $30 into the half. Still a 6-7x return.

This example is more of a "premonition" of what will most likely be the fate of the silver set offered later this year. Except I don't see a 7x return, I do see a sky high mintage, probably on the order of 350,000 sets.

If I would pick one coin of this special Kennedy offering, it would be the gold in PCGS FS PR70DCAM. Buy it cheap. The $1400-$1450 range is very very cheap.

Dont be swayed by the doom and gloomers, there are many on these forums. They say one thing and do another. My best buys were exactly the opposite of the trend on this forum.image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The 1998-S burnished silver Kennedy clocked in at about 62,000. They can be found today for under $200, >>

Well if you take a hard look - that set was offered at $59.95. After allocating the standard $30 for the RFK Silver Dollar (Give or take a few bucks) you had about $30 into the half. Still a 6-7x return.

This example is more of a "premonition" of what will most likely be the fate of the silver set offered later this year. Except I don't see a 7x return, I do see a sky high mintage, probably on the order of 350,000 sets.

If I would pick one coin of this special Kennedy offering, it would be the gold in PCGS FS PR70DCAM. Buy it cheap. The $1400-$1450 range is very very cheap.

Dont be swayed by the doom and gloomers, there are many on these forums. They say one thing and do another. My best buys were exactly the opposite of the trend on this forum.image >>

I can't understand the level of glee some posters were having here ..where they breathlessly posted each dollar decline in the gold kennedys

Seems their disgust should directed to the ANA Show managers', the Mint, and several over greedy dealers
    The fact some were were shut out of the 1st day gold kennedys.. is just a day in the life of a big city ..
    Move on.. and wait for the next ANA and Mint fiasco
  • Options
    Not to turn this into a PM thread, but some wall streeters are calling for a $200 drop in gold prices, couldn't that cause another surge in orders?
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    not mad here. the wife and I both made a total of 1000.00 bucks standing in line in DC. I am just super glad I dumped them when I got the offer!
  • Options
    I wouldn't rely on the wall st banksters to call gold
    Most of those youngsters haven't even seen bullion before
    IMO the lows are in in the 1235-1265 range
  • Options
    Someone should pull up some of the old UHR threads before they sold out. Very negative just like this.
  • Options
    Exactly
  • Options
    link

yet another 1st day Gold kennedy over $ 3,300

Ebay seller Pinehurstcoins has sold/ is selling 20 gold kennedys over past 2 days .. the dealer selling starts
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Someone should pull up some of the old UHR threads before they sold out. Very negative just like this. >>

The biggest difference between the two (UHR & Kennedy) is that BEAR was all over the previous thread!!
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    Dealers are dealers
    That's what they do---sell
    No need to tie up any money or take a position
    In and out
    Turn the money
    Don't base the future of this coin on thier sales
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Dont be swayed by the doom and gloomers, there are many on these forums. They say one thing and do another. My best buys were exactly the opposite of the trend on this forum.image >>

Why would anyone do that when you can get it now for $1,240? Right ... sign me up to pay someone an extra $200 so they can check my mailbox for me.
    Doug
  • Options
    Certified not raw
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why does this need to be certified? Its going to be a 69 or 70 anyway . If the mint ships it to your house its a safe bet its real.

Collectors don't need these in slabs , speculators might if they buy into the whole modern MS70 greater fool theory .

I speculate that if gold goes down a bunch anyone that buys one in a slab for $1450 is going to lose a ton of money. At $600 gold prepare to be $800 under water

If gold shoots up then the premium will disappear like it does on everything else aka if gold hits $1800 again these will probably be selling for melt plus a few bucks you will get your $1450 back just about.

All the easy profit already happened on these , shows over folks . If you like JFK get one at the mint imageimage
  • Options
    I don't think we want to discuss the merits of the
    Pcgs pr70 FS
    It has been proven time and time again
    And if you see 600 gold you'll probably also be looking at 6000 dow

• Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The mint's goal is to supply collectible coins to collectors, not to flippers. Secondary markets and secondary marketers should to be of no concern to the mint. Collectors should have no problem with this announcement. Flippers, as the author of the CoinWeek article appears to be, obviously see it cutting into their profits. I prefer the US Mint continue catering to collectors.

Disclaimer: I do my fair share of flipping. >>

Back to the abuses of the commemoratives in the 1930s where one or more dealers would contract with the celebrating organization to
    handle distribution, and half dollars intended to sell for 75¢ or $1 ended up costing up to $7.75 for a set of 3, the anger of collectors (see
    some of the old Numismatists) caused the ENDING of the series in 1954, with resumption only in 1982 after the Mint would handle distribution
    with the goal of putting as many coins as possible in the hands of collectors at a reasonable issue price.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

But they are a screaming Buy at these levelsimage >>

1st 1426
    2nd 1450
    3rd 1470

1426 is a low, I think

Screaming?

If someone wants a 70 kennedy, I'd buy >>

The $1426 was on my watch list. I forgot about it until you mentioned it (closed yesterday).
    For under $1440, I would likely pull the trigger (esp with using a CC for my 2% back and any ebay bucks that may be there)...for a PCGS PR70DCAM 1st Strike.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The biggest difference between the two (UHR & Kennedy) is that BEAR was all over the previous thread!!

Clever and thoughtful post, Miles.
  • Options

<< <i>

Well if you take a hard look - that set was offered at $59.95. After allocating the standard $30 for the RFK Silver Dollar (Give or take a few bucks) you had about $30 into the half. Still a 6-7x return. >>

True, but my point is that collectors are not willing to pay an outsized premium for the existing low-mintage Kennedy, so owners cannot count on obtaining a large premium for the gold Kennedy solely because of its similarly low mintage. Other factors will need to be in play to support a significant price rise, such as the one that occurred with the 2009 UHR.

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Once the Silver Sets hit the market these Gold chunks are yesterdays news. Pump em and dump em before it's too late.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just reported in Coin World:
    U.S. Mint will not conduct in-person sales of silver Kennedy sets at fall Whitman Baltimore Expo
    Decision comes after two major Mint releases at spring Whitman Expo and ANA World's Fair of Money

LINK

And it looks like they learned about having sufficient supply on hand when ordering starts:
    " When the Mint does begin sales of the set, the four-coin 2014 50th Anniversary Kennedy Half Dollar Silver Coin Collection, through its online and telephone order system, it plans to have 150,000 sets available for immediate delivery, U.S. Mint spokesman Mike White said Sept. 4. "

I'm looking forward to the same 9 day shipping start after release as the gold...or quicker.

• Options

<< <i>Just reported in Coin World:
    U.S. Mint will not conduct in-person sales of silver Kennedy sets at fall Whitman Baltimore Expo
    Decision comes after two major Mint releases at spring Whitman Expo and ANA World's Fair of Money

>>

image[
  • Options
    Hallelujah.

Now we are back to friends and family abuses. All advice with how to deal there accepted.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Just reported in Coin World:

>>

image[ >>

I no understand chicken inclusion

Describe joke?

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hallelujah.

Now we are back to friends and family abuses. All advice with how to deal there accepted. >>

And a test of the new ordering system. Will it hold up to the load? Will there be the household limit of 5 each?

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    From the Coin World article:

Mint officials limited the number of Baseball Hall of Fame coins and gold Kennedy half dollars that could be purchased in a single transaction at each show. However, dealers circumvented the restrictions by either hiring surrogates to stand in line to buy coins or by offering purchasers fast profits.

Exactly why sales should be halted at future coin shows. The mint has finally acknowledged that their own rules (or intention of getting as many coins to collectors and not dealers) were being circumvented.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file