Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Gold Kennedy minted to demand (Now 75,000 Limit) - Where does it go from here ?

Comments

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It is good to know that worst case they are worth 50 cents. I sleep better knowing that.image >>

Yeah, that's twice as much as those oversized silver quarters that I keep spending by mistake! image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As mentioned on a prior thread, I have confidence that the HOF silver and gold which I am holding in the Mint sealed boxes will do well in time.

I wish that I had a better feel for the Kennedy gold.

I bought five. I sold three sealed to MCM. I opened two. One was off center. I sent it back for a refund. One was absolutely perfect. I sent it in and got a 70.

There are some compelling arguments on both sides of the "how will the Kennedy gold" do debate on this thread. Thanks very much to those who have posted them. I am leaning towards trying to pick up some more 70FS if I can around the $1400 mark. There would indeed seem to be little downside at this level.

While totally subjective of course, I really think that this is a fantastic looking coin.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    As mentioned on a prior thread, I have confidence that the HOF silver and gold which I am holding in the Mint sealed boxes will do well in time.

I bought five. I sold three sealed to MCM. I opened two. One was off center. I sent it back for a refund. One was absolutely perfect. I sent it in and got a 70.

There are some compelling arguments on both sides of the "how will the Kennedy gold" do debate on this thread. Thanks very much to those who have posted them. I am leaning towards trying to pick up some more 70FS if I can around the $1400 mark. There would indeed seem to be little downside at this level.

While totally subjective of course, I really think that this is a fantastic looking coin.
  • Options

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 70FS non-special isn't any more risky here than an proof AGE in 70FS

I'd say less risky.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    plain 70ER $1411

A low for NGC, I think.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    NGC plain 70ER $1375 gotta be close to a money loser

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Still no new page?

$1278.33 unreal!

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I opened two. One was off center. I sent it back for a refund. >>

How far off center? Would it qualify as an error coin?

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I opened two. One was off center. I sent it back for a refund. >>

How far off center? Would it qualify as an error coin? >>

Unfortunately not.

Slight but noticible when one looked hard.
  • Options

<< <i>Still no new page?

$1278.33 unreal! >>

Killer.

Nearly $100 less than it would cost an individual collector to purchase and grade.
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    I just call it idiotic or just plain stupidity.

You have to realize that the ebay market for these is not good right now. Sit back, relax, in 6 months you will be getting $1700-$1800 for the same coin.

But weak hands - are just that - weak hands. You shouldnt be in the game if you cant afford to hold.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Any predictions on the clad set and gold sales figures this Tuesday?

60000 >>

60,500 >>

Pessimists. image

New sales figures out:

K15...2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY GOLD COIN..........64,305 (That's +917 over last week.)
    K14...2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY UNC CLAD SET...124,887 (That's +4179 over last week.) >>

RP buff was 47,836

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The price point for 3/4 oz of premium gold will have a larger audience than the price point for 1 oz of premium gold.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>plain 70ER $1411

A low for NGC, I think. >>

Hold off buying.... dealers holding many gold kennedys in inventory.. they may will sell prior to year end
  • Options

<< <i>$1350 money loser >>

this ebay seller has sold over 40 gold kennedys in the last week
  • Options

<< <i>I just call it idiotic or just plain stupidity.

You have to realize that the ebay market for these is not good right now. Sit back, relax, in 6 months you will be getting $1700-$1800 for the same coin.

But weak hands - are just that - weak hands. You shouldnt be in the game if you cant afford to hold. >>

• Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>

But weak hands - are just that - weak hands. You shouldnt be in the game if you cant afford to hold. >>

image >>

I don't agree, these are coin dealers not speculators. They do not sit back and relax, they sell coins. It's the business model, win some lose some and balance in the middle, it's not buy and hold. $1,000 now is not the same $1,000 6 months later. Now, this is not the "thing" that I would do, sell into a flood with a certain loss, but I'm not a coin dealer.
  • Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Any predictions on the clad set and gold sales figures this Tuesday?

60000 >>

60,500 >>

Pessimists. image

New sales figures out:

K15...2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY GOLD COIN..........64,305 (That's +917 over last week.)
    K14...2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY UNC CLAD SET...124,887 (That's +4179 over last week.) >>

RP buff was 47,836 >>

New numbers out:

9/7/2014...2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY GOLD COIN..........63,927 (That's -378 over last week.)
    9/7/2014...2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY UNC CLAD SET...127,749 (That's +2,862 over last week.)

• Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭

<< <i>RP buff was 47,836 >>

??

Don't know how this relates?

The Kennedy Gold is a stand alone Kennedy Type Coin. Not a bullion piece. Not a series.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel for those "casual" flippers with 5 or less (HH limit or less), as most do try to buy and flip to help pay for the one they want for their collection.

I do NOT feel bad for any "dealer"/"flipper" that has more than 5 and is taking a bath on these right now. They likely made some money early and they chose to go in whole hog to get more than HH limits by doing the workarounds to get more. Silvertowne and others (even some of the folks on the BST here that only come around for these flips and always seem to have 50+ of the units when limits are 5 or less).
    I don't mind at all if they get hosed.
    The good dealers, who are actual dealers, know how to keep themselves safe (wondercoin, mcm, GC, etc). They are fair, play by the rules, and buy in a secondary market. I wish THEM the best. It's just the ones who circumvent everything that I hope get hit hard by these.

That said, it looks like this is another modern issue where, while they all get hit, the NGC holders feel a much bigger hit...and if someone wants a raw coin, they may as well get either raw or one of those. They are going for almost raw price anyway.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    The RP gold Buffalo is a good example because it has a lower mintage and is a better looking coin. The market is not supporting high price/high mintage modern gold right now except for the UHR or 70's and this is not a UHR.

Would you rather have a 1 ounce RP buffalo or the 3/4 ounce kennedy for the same price? I doubt the Kennedy sells for more than the RP buffalo in a year or two, and most people would pick the RP Buffalo.

This Kennedy coin was a marketing miracle for the mint, it never should have done close to 60k. I think it was the HOF gold hangover, too many made money or missed on HOF gold , told the neighbors, friends and barbers to buy the Kennedy and we get to 60k plus. Lots on credit cards. The dealers on Ebay probably didn't figure they would do what they did but have to sell the inventory too.

Next coin like this cooler heads might prevail. Most people get burned once and don't go back, only the diehards do. Some of the Kennedy may be sold with the Jackie coin next year, that is the only hope i see, sorry folks!
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, we will see. I'll reopen this page in 6 months!
  • Options
    bump
    < sorry, I was trying to figure out the Forum problem of not displaying the most recent threads >
  • Options

Willing to bet on that? Pm me if so!
  • Options
    I'm not sure about 1700 for a ngc70er non-special

Maybe 1500-1600. They are very plentiful.

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got this image from CoinFacts.....

Great work Phil.
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did this thread freeze? I know there are several added comments that don't come up on my screen.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Did this thread freeze? I know there are several added comments that don't come up on my screen. >>

Please call CS and report the problem. They only seem to act if more people do so. I reported this almost a month ago and no action yet.

• Options

<< <i>I'm not sure about 1700 for a ngc70er non-special

Maybe 1500-1600. They are very plentiful. >>

paradisemint has over 20 gold kennedys for sale ending today on ebay .. liquidation continuesimage

the bus dealer ,green shirt dealer, and 2 others have to be sitting on several hundred of the gold kennedysimage
  • Options

<< <i>$1328.67 ouch! >>

Of course it does not help when Gold and Silver seem to be falling everyday....
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>$1328.67 ouch! >>

Of course it does not help when Gold and Silver seem to be falling everyday.... >>

$1,125 .... & falling

double ouch
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>$1328.67 ouch! >>

Of course it does not help when Gold and Silver seem to be falling everyday.... >>

$1,125 .... & falling

double ouch >>

70 vs 69

Current known low 69 - 1088.88
    70 - 1278.33
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>$1328.67 ouch! >>

$1,125 .... & falling

double ouch >>

70 vs 69

70 - 1278.33 >>

getting closer

$1,102.77

another NGC 69 hits the dust
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>$1328.67 ouch! >>

$1,125 .... & falling

double ouch >>

70 vs 69

70 - 1278.33 >>

70 versus 69 is a distinction without a difference . The 70 labels get sprinkled with pixie dust the 69's do not and the 68's??????? Are there any?
  • Options

<< <i>70 versus 69 is a distinction without a difference . The 70 labels get sprinkled with pixie dust the 69's do not and the 68's??????? Are there any? >>

PCGS has graded 3 68's, and they get send to the "melting pot." image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>$1328.67 ouch! >>

$1,125 .... & falling

double ouch >>

70 vs 69

70 - 1278.33 >>

70 versus 69 is a distinction without a difference . The 70 labels get sprinkled with pixie dust the 69's do not and the 68's??????? Are there any? >>

overall pops
    67 - 1
    68 - 7
    69 - 1,029
    70 - 4,000
    total - 5,037
  • Options
    The 70 labels get sprinkled with pixie dust the 69's do not and the 68's??????? Are there any?

• Options
    The 70 labels get sprinkled with pixie dust the 69's do not and the 68's??????? Are there any?

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The 70 labels get sprinkled with pixie dust the 69's do not and the 68's??????? Are there any?

image >>

Does this top line really say 4000 70's and 1029 69's? image I was thinking they were running 50 50 . That changes everything, the 70's are common garbage and the 67 is a pop1 and should be highly sought after for someones lowball set.
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still expect the "powers that be" will spend some more bucks to make the gold part of the regular Kennedy series and try and get another promotion out of this beast.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a superb image of a sweet gold coin, Bully.

Thanks!
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    Next coin like this cooler heads might prevail. Most people get burned once and don't go back, only the diehards do. Some of the Kennedy may be sold with the Jackie coin next year, that is the only hope i see, sorry folks!

I think a John and Jackie Kennedy in a PCGS First Strike 70 2 coin holder would make an awesome set. I am sure the dealers are thinking ahead on this.
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    At Long Beach I was consigned a raw one complete with box and papers from the Mint to sell. I couldn't sell it at $1100. None of the big buyers at ANA even wanted to touch another one ever again much less buy one.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options

<< <i>At Long Beach I was consigned a raw one complete with box and papers from the Mint to sell. I couldn't sell it at $1100. None of the big buyers at ANA even wanted to touch another one ever again much less buy one. >>

Were they "sold out" or sold out?

• Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not updating to new page. Problems continuing with new pages
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file