Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Gold Kennedy minted to demand (Now 75,000 Limit) - Where does it go from here ?

Comments

• Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The collectors who want this coin have already got one at mint issue price or below. There will no

demand from the flippers and very little to none from the investors. The greed of the dealers in beginning days of sale

have destroyed any future value for this coin. Like a dead skunk in the middle of the road, it's stink lingers

long after it's death.image
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    7over8 is sitting on a pile of these 5ft tall why else would he keep trying to prop up a sinker. I will give him this. He is a "beliver" but his belief in the coin will cost him. I made good money on this coin so I am happy. I nay even buy one at spot with the profit I made standing in line for a few hours. Wonder how much total money people lost on this issue. Lets see buy for 1240.00 grade then sell for 1050.00 with free shipping. Makes a great business model dont ya think?

. I don't care who you are or what you do for a living loseing money is just foolish have no fear "strong hands" will hold out....... TO LOSE MORE lol
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS PR70DCAMFS #530301
    Hammer: $1,505.00

Glad my only Gold Kennedy is a 70. image
  • Options

<< <i>PCGS PR70DCAMFS #530301

Glad my only Gold Kennedy is a 70. image >>

Fluke.......others have sold much less. A bidder who does not do HW ...
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just received my replacement today, much better than the one I returned. Don't care about labels or pop reports, staying in the OGP.

imageimage >>

This is better representative of current mint proof gold output

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>The collectors who want this coin have already got one at mint issue price or below. There will no

demand from the flippers and very little to none from the investors. The greed of the dealers in beginning days of sale

have destroyed any future value for this coin. Like a dead skunk in the middle of the road, it's stink lingers

long after it's death.image >>

Actually the 70 show labels are still profitable

I'd say a couple of things are at work
    I think a lot of amateur flippers were in early and they aren't making bank for a reason. With sales over 60k and over the RPBuff I think these are signs that more individual collectors know where to go to get what they want
    And even more guess work - less graded coin chasing. 70 show labels are still making money but I'm guessing more are going raw over graded.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>PCGS PR70DCAMFS #530301

Glad my only Gold Kennedy is a 70. image >>

Fluke.......others have sold much less. A bidder who does not do HW ... >>

There was a $1475 recently, and a $1451

It looks like the blood bath in NGC 70 ER is abating.

• Options
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    UHR dipped below issue price in OGP? Don't recall that....
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

<< <i>UHR dipped below issue price in OGP? Don't recall that.... >>

Supply of raw, < 70 and NGC are definitely outstripping demand ... Although n70er are back over 1300 on the bay

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Forget the Kennedy. If the Mint moves fast, there is still time to crank out a gold coin in honor of the 150th anniversary of the two-cent piece . . . image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    Only if it's in UHR

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image @ the Kennedy Gold.....image
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭

<< <i>7over8 is sitting on a pile of these 5ft tall why else would he keep trying to prop up a sinker. I will give him this. He is a "beliver" but his belief in the coin will cost him. >>

There are always amateurs in the game who shoot off their posts....having very little to back up their comments. I believe in the trends we have seen with certain moderns - and this one will continue to trend like the UHR.

FS PR70 DCAMS will be up in the 1800 range within 6 months. If you are a potential buyer sitting on the fence, IMO you will not get hurt buying a PCGS FS PR70 DCAM in the "flood" at $1450 or less.

<< <i>UHR dipped below issue price in OGP? Don't recall that.... >>

UHR's in PCGS FS 70 were languishing in the 1550-1600 range with very little dealer interest, even with a rising gold price, and a rising US Mint issue price. Ebay sales of "opened" raws after fees were below the higher mint issue of 1339. Obviously those who bought early in the 1189 level were fine, those who bought later (still during open ordering period - "unlimited" mintage) were not.

Again we saw once the mint closed sales, a sure but steady rise. Raws to the 2000 range, PCGS FS 70 to the 2800-3000 range.

There will always be fools who sell their coins for far less than what they are worth, as they over extended themselves and don't have the financial strength to pay for what they bought without having a fire sale to raise cash.

And -----so I don't get a hundred responses about the "dealers" sales.....I am not talking about the big dealers. That is a different model, focused on turning cash and profiting on the group - not single sales.

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    some dealers still holding the bag with a lot of gold kennedys .. some have cashed out at a loss. many still waiting for a rebound..the ANA Show green shirts, the bus sitter dealer still must have quite a few in inventory..
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    I think if I read it right 7/8 is only saying the First Strike 70 coins will do well, and it is possible he is right at today's pricing. The raw coins are DOA, the 69 coins are DOA, anything received after FS is DOA. I would not sell a FS 70 coins today for under $1500, and there is a chance of a rebound in these only. The ANA coins went to top dollar right off the bat so I would say those are DOA too. If you had to play this game the FS 70 is the only way to do it.

I am not because of the total sales of this coin. It sold far higher numbers then it ever should have, and it is possible that is a drag on the potential of 70 FS coins.

Also not sure I would compare Keenedy FS 70 to UHR FS 70 because the mint had problems issuing the UHR and that may have dampened the FS 70 numbers artificially.
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭
    Nevermind.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

The UHR coin is much different than these. That was "something different" a restrike of a legendary design.

These are odd sized , off-metal strikes of a coin that exists in the billions.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The interesting thing is that if prices don't go anywhere, I think it would be great for collectors. Great to have iconic coins that are within the reach of most collectors that is.
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The interesting thing is that if prices don't go anywhere, I think it would be great for collectors. Great to have iconic coins that are within the reach of most collectors that is. >>

Yeah I know eactly what you mean. The SBA dollar series is like that, but no one really wants those - do they? image

Sort of like these Gold Kennedy's.

Wonder what be be more desirable, a Gold Susan B Anthony or a Gold Kennedy ?

A Gold SBA ! image No, a Gold JFK !
  • Options
    Odd size?

The 09 UHR was an odd size

This is half dollar sized

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭
    Stuck again!
  • Options
    House is burning down and can take one coin, Kennedy or UHR? Not even close, sorry Mr. President.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>These are odd sized , off-metal strikes of a coin that exists in the billions. >>

Don't fool yourself.....the similarity between this coin and the UHR is primarily the one year TYPE coin.

These are very similar indeed. Popular theme, popular design, lots of hype. One year type coins.

Your off metal, odd size comment are not even a factor. Would I want to own a Kennedy Gold in one ounce not sized like a half dollar. Absolutely not.

• Options

<< <i>I think if I read it right 7/8 is only saying the First Strike 70 coins will do well, and it is possible he is right at today's pricing >>

This is exactly what I am saying. I am not suggesting that anyone take huge positions in these, but at todays depressed pricing of FS PR70's, and the "faucet being shutoff" for 70's - as evidenced by the huge growth of PR69 pops, if you don't have one, I suggest you get one soon.

Its not a stretch to see these PCGS FS PR70 DCAM's at $1800 in 6 months, maybe more later. I don't think we will see total coins minted exceed 65,000-70,000 pieces.

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>$1075 raw >>

Building on fire, buyers charging for water to put it out.

Brutal.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I think if I read it right 7/8 is only saying the First Strike 70 coins will do well, and it is possible he is right at today's pricing >>

This is exactly what I am saying. I am not suggesting that anyone take huge positions in these, but at todays depressed pricing of FS PR70's, and the "faucet being shutoff" for 70's - as evidenced by the huge growth of PR69 pops, if you don't have one, I suggest you get one soon.

Its not a stretch to see these PCGS FS PR70 DCAM's at $1800 in 6 months, maybe more later. I don't think we will see total coins minted exceed 65,000-70,000 pieces. >>

disclaimer...I do not have a gold Kennedy and at today's prices, not interest.

I do however, agree with 7/8 that labels do sell for a premium and have for years. I do not see a reversal of that. Also, I have my doubts that total mintage will exceed 65,000. It appears that prices for the 70 FS PCGS (not NGC) have stabilized in the $1450 to$1,525 range, but I have my doubts that the $1,800 range is obtainable within 6 month's. It took a major jump in gold prices to get the UHR's raw of their lows and consequently have also seen a drop in price when gold took a hit. PCGS deciding later on in giving a PL 70 designation, also was a negative price to the already graded 70's.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Latest PCGS PR69DCAM FS
    Hammer: $1,234.00

Lesson learned: At this point in time, even a PCGS 69 is suspect.

Time to go into a long hold and wait wait wait for gold to soar!
  • Options
    The more negative I read here the more I want one because these forums are usually wrong.
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bump...
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    this...
  • Options
    thread...
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The interesting thing is that if prices don't go anywhere, I think it would be great for collectors. Great to have iconic coins that are within the reach of most collectors that is. >>

Yeah I know eactly what you mean. The SBA dollar series is like that, but no one really wants those - do they? image >>

I guess you haven't seen the toned SBA TrueViews that have been posted on these boards? image

They let collectors come into the market for fun without needing to spend too much time thinking about returns and investment.
  • Options

<< <i>The more negative I read here the more I want one because these forums are usually wrong >>

Agreed. Another very smart comment. Stick to PCGS PR70 DCAM.
  • Options

<< <i>but I have my doubts that the $1,800 range is obtainable within 6 month's. It took a major jump in gold prices to get the UHR's raw of their lows >>

I have no doubt that 1800 is very attainable in 6 months.

Even though the up tick in the UHR pricing began to occur and seemed to be correlated with the gold up tick------we should have seen a corresponding down tick in the UHR, with the corresponding down tick in gold.

Not so.

Why? Because the up tick in the UHR was due to market absorbtion and demand - not gold. The same will happen with the Kennedy Gold.

Its the same pattern. Where will prices end up - that's what is up for debate.

However, with the faucet being shut off for 70's and 69 pops growing exponentially......time to get off the sidelines and get yourself a PCGS PR70DCAM if you don't have one already.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>....time to get off the sidelines and get yourself a PCGS PR70DCAM if you don't have one already. >>

So buy the label and not the coin? That's what your saying?
  • Options
    If someone has access to the NGC pops, I'd love to see a comparison

If ebay is an indicator, and I bet it isn't, it'd seem NGC pops are maybe 6-10x more total graded over pcgs.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>....time to get off the sidelines and get yourself a PCGS PR70DCAM if you don't have one already. >>

So buy the label and not the coin? That's what your saying? >>

If you are a believer in the Jackie K., then toy better buy two. image

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file