Home U.S. Coin Forum

25th Anniversary ASE set

Comments

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Called Friday to customer service and asked for update on Replacement Number #38391 and was told that number does not exist >>

Had the same issue - ordered 2 & 3 but somehow a 4 got through so I spent an hour dialing and got through and was told not to worry, the 4 will be deleted and the 3 & 2 will stand. A few hours later I logged on and the 4 & 2 were gone. Called again and was told they had no record of the order numbers I supplied - good thing I wrote them down (should have printed them) - but a supervisor promised to send the information to his higher ups and get back to me. Still waiting...

So my order number 38333*** became 38400***. At least my set of 3 is valid - for now >>

how many e-mail confirmations did you receive? 1, 2, or 3?
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here was a cute listing...likely pulled...that included a photo of a shipping box with the line "This is what your box will look like!"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FIVE-SETS-25th-ANNIVERSARY-EAGLE-SETS-UNOPENED-BOX-/200670111138?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb8dee5a2
  • CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭
    It just occurred to me that the unique coins in the25th Anniversary set should have the First Strike designation regardless if theyre open sets or not. The logic to this is that since the coins sold out in such a short time, the mint is officially sold out and there will be no further mintage on these that these should technically qualify for First Strike designation regardless of the time submitted and if theyre sealed boxes or not. If everyone can remember the 2010 ATB 5 oz coins had an indefinite period of First Strike eligibility so these should technically have the same treatment.

The definition of First Strike is "coins packaged and delivered by the U.S. Mint in the 30 day period following the initial sales date of a new product as First Strike®". Since the coins were officially sold out within a day it means ALL coins will be packaged and delivered within the 30 days following initial sales.

This is true, I still have ASE proofs, 2009 Gold Spouse coins and others that are still eligible for first strike, because they are still sealed in US Mint shipping boxes and shipped to me in the first thirty days of release. They will be eligible until they are opened. The thing about this is it can change a low pop first strike coin. So the first strike pops are not really accurate because of this.
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • philographerphilographer Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you pay someone for a sealed mint box, how do you know the Anniversary Set is inside? Couldn't they just send you a box with one of those giant silver quarters image in it? You could keep it sealed for 5 years and then get a big surprise!

Does the Mint note the item number on the box?

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭
    LINK

Looks like the seller ended it!
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you pay someone for a sealed mint box, how do you know the Anniversary Set is inside? Couldn't they just send you a box with one of those giant silver quarters image in it? You could keep it sealed for 5 years and then get a big surprise!

Does the Mint note the item number on the box? >>

Order number is not on the outside label, but the tracking number is. The track order page for the mint account will show this tracking number (once item ships) and a description of the contents. If I were to buy an unopened box it would not be as described until seller provided me an electronic copy of that track order page that proved what the mint says is in the box. Likewise if I were to sell an unopened box I would provide my buyer with the same.

I do not buy or sell unopened boxes, too easy for something to go wrong.

The only way to make an economic system truly stable is to permit the free market to take over.

...is it just me, but as a kid I used to hear people mock those trading sealed proof sets...which were relatively cheap, all things considered.

And now we're trading sealed boxes worth thousands of dollars!

My...how far we've progressed as a hobby!
  • 1tommy1tommy Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>online order at 12:03 for 3 sets On hold brother got thru 3 hrs later 1 set In Process. Ate 1 piece of candy out here on vacation in calif and exploded a tooth, any profit from this set is for a new one , Oh But it is warm and sunny Enjoy image >>

What the heck was the name of the candy? I need to know so the same doesn't happen to me.

All kidding aside, great way to start your vacation out there, Tom. Hope things improve for ya. >>

Caramel Apple Pops suckers. Bad Bad Bad. See the dentist at 10 should be a fun day. Enjoy image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> Me, too. I'm torn between opening up and cherry-picking the best for submission or submitting the whole sealed box. I really don't want to pay to grade all 25 coins, but I would like a nice, graded set (70s ???). I'm leaning towards cherry picking and submitting the best and selling the remainder as raw sets. With such a quick sellout, selling raw sets doesn't seem to have too much downside to it, and you don't have to deal with the crooked buyer who says I sent a mint-sealed box of rocks or empty box. >>

A ebay crook buying a sealed box and claiming there was nothing in the box leaves me with a few questions.

Assume the buyer (crook) would have little if any feedback in ebay, and that the seller has a lot of strong feedback on coins and such, would Ebay not take the side of an established seller?
    Also, if I state in my add, do not bid if you have less than 40 (whatever number you pick) ratings or I reserve the right to canel your bid, am I allowed to cancel the bid based upon my statement in the add that the buyer must have 40 ratings, or would ebay not allow me to cancel a bid? I would like to be able to cancel a sale if the buyer's history was five items at 2 bucks a piece, or go thru with a sale where a buyer bought 5 expensive items or coins. >>

The verified shipping weight on your receipt will indicate if the box was empty or not. When you tell your buyer that his package is on the way, be sure to mention what the shipping weight was and this will kind of put him on notice.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • You think the mint would be able to come up with something relatively tamper evident to prevent people from claiming an empty box. You think it would be in there best interest since stuff goes missing from the mail all the time. I know the box of 5 proof sets that my grandfather got from the mint in the 70's were all tamper evident. Granted I don't think they were designed with that in mind but putting the shipping label right over the opening for the box made it pretty easy to tell if it had been opened or not.
  • taxmadtaxmad Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>how many e-mail confirmations did you receive? 1, 2, or 3? >>

Just one - for the order that is still in my 'Track Order' page. So maybe their system generated the order number, posted it to my 'Track Order' page but glitched before the email was sent - and therefore wasn't a completed order. Still got 3 sets so can't complain too much...
  • 2011 American Eagle NGC 69 Reverse Proof from 25th Anniversary Silver Coin Set
    ***PRESALE****NGC GRADED***

Item condition: --

Ended: Nov 01, 201106:32:22 PDT

Sold For: US $449.00

Wish I could post the link but here somebody actually bought this RP NGC 69 25th Anniversary Coin - no sets shipped, no sets received, no sets sent to grading services, but buyer bought and PAID for this! Ebay should not allow this bogus selling...
  • sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 831 ✭✭✭
    Even hype needs help from time to time!
  • JeshJesh Posts: 277
    I bought 5 through the mint set and a few through eBay... already had two sellers back out saying 'their confirmed order was cancelled'. I got them for a good price... guess they're looking at the prices now and cancelling... lol
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    There will be a lot of these cancellations that is why I am not interested in selling until I get them in hand.

• << <i>2011 American Eagle NGC 69 Reverse Proof from 25th Anniversary Silver Coin Set
    ***PRESALE****NGC GRADED***

Item condition: --

Ended: Nov 01, 201106:32:22 PDT

Sold For: US $449.00

Wish I could post the link but here somebody actually bought this RP NGC 69 25th Anniversary Coin - no sets shipped, no sets received, no sets sent to grading services, but buyer bought and PAID for this! Ebay should not allow this bogus selling... >>

That shouldn't be too tough a grade to get. No problem with presales but what percentage of sellers will back out if prices go up later or buyers want refunds if prices crash and sellers can't delivery in 30 days.

• << <i>I bought 5 through the mint set and a few through eBay... already had two sellers back out saying 'their confirmed order was cancelled'. I got them for a good price... guess they're looking at the prices now and cancelling... lol >>

Why don't you neg them then - should be consequences for shorting the market - selling things they don't have. Shame on ebay for letting unbinding presale auctions go unchecked - can't be very healthy for their marketplace.
  • You wonder to how many people who committed to cheesy $80 and $90 premium offers will really send their sets off for that inuslting premium. I bet these national coin companies that sent out emails offering $80 or $100 premiums will be lucky to see 2 sets at that price. They are going to hear over and over again my order was cancelled, sorry.
  • ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I bought 5 through the mint set and a few through eBay... already had two sellers back out saying 'their confirmed order was cancelled'. I got them for a good price... guess they're looking at the prices now and cancelling... lol >>

You should out them and neg them.
    Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-
  • PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You wonder to how many people who committed to cheesy $80 and $90 premium offers will really send their sets off for that inuslting premium. I bet these national coin companies that sent out emails offering $80 or $100 premiums will be lucky to see 2 sets at that price. They are going to hear over and over again my order was cancelled, sorry. >>

They will still get quite a few sets from people who a) feel that they should honour their contract b) don't follow ebay/other sales or forums much or at all c) don't want to be hassled with shopping around for extra profit (ever watch pawn stars? tons of people just don't want to make any effort to make more money), etc
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
    And this is why eBay started cancelling presales the other night (and got flamed by many for impeding free enterprise)...the only problem is that they should have kept doing it consistently.

It's unfortunate that dishonesty by some ruins it for everyone.
  • bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I bought 5 through the mint set and a few through eBay... already had two sellers back out saying 'their confirmed order was cancelled'. I got them for a good price... guess they're looking at the prices now and cancelling... lol >>

seen sets on the bay that have 7:00pm confirms.. need to wait until sets get delivered .. then harder to use your purchase as a call option for higher set prices
  • bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You wonder to how many people who committed to cheesy $80 and $90 premium offers will really send their sets off for that inuslting premium. I bet these national coin companies that sent out emails offering $80 or $100 premiums will be lucky to see 2 sets at that price. They are going to hear over and over again my order was cancelled, sorry. >>

my good coin dealer has not gotten confirms from individuals on 40 sets purchased at 375-425 .
  • commacomma Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You think the mint would be able to come up with something relatively tamper evident to prevent people from claiming an empty box. You think it would be in there best interest since stuff goes missing from the mail all the time. I know the box of 5 proof sets that my grandfather got from the mint in the 70's were all tamper evident. Granted I don't think they were designed with that in mind but putting the shipping label right over the opening for the box made it pretty easy to tell if it had been opened or not. >>

The label might still be over the box opening...I don't know..
  • erickso1erickso1 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭

I see nothing cheesy or insulting from those offers.

Just as I don't see anything cheesy or insulting if a person decides to invest in a high grade corporate bond with lower returns and less risk (i.e. through the boards here to a well respected buyer), instead of the equity market with potential for higher returns but certainly more risky (Ebay).
  • CakesCakes Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There will be a lot of these cancellations that is why I am not interested in selling until I get them in hand. >>

Unfortunately there will also be a lot of bidders backing out. It will be a true mess similar to the ATB fiasco. I had sold a raw ATB set early on for like $2300 and the guy from NY said the transmission had gone out and he backed out after a couple weeks. Bye that time the prices had gone down to about $1600. I was so pissed I mistakenly held and ended up selling the raw set to my dad for $1000 a couple months later.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.

• << <i>And this is why eBay started cancelling presales the other night (and got flamed by many for impeding free enterprise)...the only problem is that they should have kept doing it consistently.

It's unfortunate that dishonesty by some ruins it for everyone. >>

Why did Ebay stop cancelling the presales on the 25th sets?
    <<Why did Ebay stop cancelling the presales on the 25th sets? >>

Probably for many reasons, including the waste of time and manpower to hunt all those listings down, day in and day out...and the amount of griping by those whose listings are canned.

Add to that the fact that I don't think there are as many people at eBay central watching the pot as we seem to think there are...and this is all still just small potatos as compared to the total volume of sales and listings I assume their entire site does each day.
  • DCWDCW Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My order at 1216 "in process" baby!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

<< <i>

<< <i>You think the mint would be able to come up with something relatively tamper evident to prevent people from claiming an empty box. You think it would be in there best interest since stuff goes missing from the mail all the time. I know the box of 5 proof sets that my grandfather got from the mint in the 70's were all tamper evident. Granted I don't think they were designed with that in mind but putting the shipping label right over the opening for the box made it pretty easy to tell if it had been opened or not. >>

The label might still be over the box opening...I don't know.. >>

depends on the box the mint uses. I've received smaller ones that had a seam on one side only and larger ones with taped seams on top and bottom.

The only way to make an economic system truly stable is to permit the free market to take over.

• << <i>
    C.C.payment($40m available)
    >>

All I can say is...HAHA! OK, chief.
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    Interesting claims / info re wait list here in this post from last night-

sound possible?
  • It's odd, four of my five orders are in process. However, the one that is still on hold is the lowest order number!
  • dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    My order just went from on hold to in process, and my order number is one of the lowest possible at 12:01
  • paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

I sold a sealed ATB by listing with a high BIN, then cherry picked the offers. When someone makes an offer you can
    see their feedback and zip code. I finally got a good offer from a long time ebay coin purchaser who lived in a bedroom
    community of NYC. Great deal for both of us. If you're careful you should be fine.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • my order also went in process, 12:37 pm 38330XXX
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Interesting claims / info re wait list here in this post from last night-

sound possible? >>

Horse petudie....I was on the Mint's website at 4:40 and the wait list was already posted by that time.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>There's absolutely no rhyme or reason to the "on hold" or "in process" designations.
    Of my 3 orders placed on Thursday:

Order #1 --- Order number:38333XXX
    (3 Sets) Order Date:10/27/2011 at 12:52 AM
    Order Status: Your order request is on hold.

Order #2 --- Order number:38335XXX
    (1 Set) Order Date:10/27/2011 at 01:02 PM
    Order Status: Your order request is in process.

Order #3 --- Order number:38336XXX
    (1 Set) Order Date:10/27/2011 at 01:13 PM
    Order Status: Your order request is on hold. image >>

I am just amazed that so many were able to get multiple, separate orders in in a short time while many others were not able to get a single order in over 5 hours. Just don't get it. >>

I think a lot of it has to do with "switching" substations which basically means that not all calls are routed the same way going from point A to point B since point B is the constant and point A is the variable.

Those that were able to get through on multiple occasions obviously had less "routing" traffic to compete with than those who could not connect at all.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

sound possible? >>

Yes. Very much so. That is what happened with some of the ATB'S.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi

• << <i>And this is why eBay started cancelling presales the other night (and got flamed by many for impeding free enterprise)...the only problem is that they should have kept doing it consistently.

It's unfortunate that dishonesty by some ruins it for everyone. >>

Agree, and you wonder why some sellers with massive feedback would take that risk. This seller of the graded presells has 1535 positive. States in one of the auctions:

" You are purchasing the 2011 American Eagle Uncirculated Coin with the "S" Mint Mark graded by NGC at MS69. This coin is from the recently released (and now sold out) 25th Anniversary sets and will be submitted for grading. This is a pre-sale, and the item will be shipped when received from NGC. The sets are designated to be mailed by mid-November, and I expect to have graded coins in my hand for shipping no later than early to mid December."

• PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Order #3839XXXX which was placed after 5 PM EST is now "in process". My son's order #3833XXXX which was place before 1PM EST is still "on hold".
  • cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My two orders just went to in process.
    Many happy BST transactions

<< <i>

sound possible? >>

Horse petudie....I was on the Mint's website at 4:40 and the wait list was already posted by that time. >>

It is unlikely that the mint would have kicked out the invalid orders by that time, so the assumption would that all orders were valid.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • One of two orders in process (first order of 3 at 12:55p).

<< <i>

<< <i>

depends on the box the mint uses. I've received smaller ones that had a seam on one side only and larger ones with taped seams on top and bottom. >>

Generally the shipping label is put over the sealing tape. Would be kind of hard to open the box without disturbing either. I know of one instance where the shipping facility had apparently reopend a sealed box to put paperwork inside. You would think the mint would use some kind of tamperproof seal. Perhaps if enuf folks squawk.
    theknowitalltroll;

Maybe it is time for eBay sellers to start putting statements in their listings or post-auction followup communication indicating that they are aware of the various ways that buyers may try to scam them.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • commacomma Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Maybe it is time for eBay sellers to start putting statements in their listings or post-auction followup communication indicating that they are aware of the various ways that buyers may try to scam them. >>

I was definitely planning on doing that to the full extent if I decide to go the ebay route at some point.
    What is a "list" of things to mention? The sealed box thing, but what else?

<< <i>

Maybe it is time for eBay sellers to start putting statements in their listings or post-auction followup communication indicating that they are aware of the various ways that buyers may try to scam them. >>

It will always boil down to your word against their's.

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

depends on the box the mint uses. I've received smaller ones that had a seam on one side only and larger ones with taped seams on top and bottom. >>

Generally the shipping label is put over the sealing tape. Would be kind of hard to open the box without disturbing either. I know of one instance where the shipping facility had apparently reopend a sealed box to put paperwork inside. You would think the mint would use some kind of tamperproof seal. Perhaps if enuf folks squawk. >>

larger mint shipping boxes have seams and tape on both the top and the bottom. They only apply one shipping label.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2imageimageimage

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file