Home U.S. Coin Forum

25th Anniversary ASE set

Comments

• CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>I think it would be advisable for them to just tell us here online what the rules are then to receive 10000 phone calls. >>

I expect that it adds to the mystique. Its a great marketing concept...Makem wait it out until the 4th Qtr, the Final Buzzer, the Last Round...Builds excitement...image
  • It should be a crime to take a set out of the plush wooded disply and entomb in plastic.
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

In case you need some extra wood boxes you could probably check the dumpster at PCGS in about a month.
  • Ok...let's me preface this by saying I'm on vacation in Florida and it is raining...which is fine 'cuz it's warm and better than the snow back home....

Anyway....I did some stats on the number of sets sold as pre-sales from 10/18 (yes the 18th) to an hour ago....I took out the cancelled sales and the single "key" coin sales...I'm sure I missed a few sets but here are the stats (not separated by opened vs. sealed) :

single sets: 376...total 376
    two sets..........2...total....4
    three sets........3..total....9
    four sets..........5..total...20
    five sets......155..total..775
    twenty five sets..1.total.. 25

Total sets sold before ANY have been delivered.....1209

I can't rule out some double flipping in there but I would think it would be at a minimum

• << <i>I think it would be advisable for them to just tell us here online what the rules are then to receive 10000 phone calls. >>

1 set sealed box grading cost $xxx
    2 set sealed box grading cost $xxx
    etc etc

or would that be to easy
  • carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭✭
    It will get interesting if the sets are individually sealed within the box on a 5 set order.

If so you will see a flood of single sets sales as people turn from flipping a 5 box to selling individuals to keep a few.

Loves me some shiny!
  • the real question is will they hit by the Baltimore show? It would change its make up quite a bit I think as well as draw people in to put hands on them as lots of collectors don't trust Ebay

<< <i>Ok...let's me preface this by saying I'm on vacation in Florida and it is raining...which is fine 'cuz it's warm and better than the snow back home....

Anyway....I did some stats on the number of sets sold as pre-sales from 10/18 (yes the 18th) to an hour ago....I took out the cancelled sales and the single "key" coin sales...I'm sure I missed a few sets but here are the stats (not separated by opened vs. sealed) :

I doubt if there are many double dipped swales at these high prices. There will be when prices rise though.

I can't rule out some double flipping in there but I would think it would be at a minimum

image >>

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It will get interesting if the sets are individually sealed within the box on a 5 set order.

If so you will see a flood of single sets sales as people turn from flipping a 5 box to selling individuals to keep a few. >>

They would each need a US Postmark to be elgibile for "sealed" submissions. So no.
  • Why am I having 2010 5 oz. ATB Puck deja vu???
  • mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why am I having 2010 5 oz. ATB Puck deja vu??? >>

Thank you. For a while I thought I was the only one!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • commacomma Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭
    Why are they sending emails now for the backorder even though the date has been pushed back a day almost every day since they sold? Why no emails then?
  • ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    Every day that passes is another day out that it is backordered too.

5 units backordered. Expected to ship on 11/13/2011.
    5 units backordered. Expected to ship on 11/14/2011.
    5 units backordered. Expected to ship on 11/15/2011.
  • mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coin World today has some stats on the sellout from the mint. The 100k allotment was reached by 27254 orders sometime around 5:00 Eastern (avg of 3.7 sets per order). There must have been a lot of incomplete, partial, canceled, bogus, or whatever orders because the number gap between the first order we know of (38324xxx) and the order numbers that have been reported around the cutoff time is huge! For example, my last order was completed at 3:10 Eastern, order #38358xxx - that's 34,000 orders between the first reported and mine and there were still almost two hours to go before sellout. I can't believe too many people that were ordering proof sets or First Spouses, etc. would have put up with the ordering hassles of the day.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why are they sending emails now for the backorder even though the date has been pushed back a day almost every day since they sold? Why no emails then? >>

automatically generated by their system (no wonder it overloads so easily)

The only way to make an economic system truly stable is to permit the free market to take over.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>It will get interesting if the sets are individually sealed within the box on a 5 set order.

If so you will see a flood of single sets sales as people turn from flipping a 5 box to selling individuals to keep a few. >>

They would each need a US Postmark to be elgibile for "sealed" submissions. So no. >>

Does the mint mail these or do they use Fedex?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• << <i>With the average number of sets per order at 3.7, individual sealed boxes of single sets will be a rarity and should command a nice premium. >>

• << <i>

<< <i>With the average number of sets per order at 3.7, individual sealed boxes of single sets will be a rarity and should command a nice premium. >>

image >>

Glad I got my 5 orders of 1 set in!

<< <i>

<< <i>

They would each need a US Postmark to be elgibile for "sealed" submissions. So no. >>

Does the mint mail these or do they use Fedex? >>

Mint's sends orders of this value UPS overnight. When you see "shipped" look for it the next morning. Your "track order" details will show a clickable UPS tracking number as soon as the mint has it.

Sets are not normally individually sealed inside the shipping box.

The only way to make an economic system truly stable is to permit the free market to take over.

• RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<There must have been a lot of incomplete, partial, canceled, bogus, or whatever orders because the number gap between the first order we know of (38324xxx) and the order numbers that have been reported around the cutoff time is huge! >>

It's also possible that the Mint doesn't issue order numbers in an unbroken series (1,2,3 etc.) Their system may generate numbers with intentional gaps...possibly to foil the type of number tracking we're always attempting.

All I know is that at some point about an hour in on Thursday...somebody here posted the remark that we were 12,000 orders in...and I thought, "Crap...they're going fast....REALLY fast!" So I started hitting the redial and refresh buttons even faster!!!
    never mind.image
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    There sure are some weird listings...This one for example:

link

Seller's going to have them graded by NGC.
  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> So I started hitting the redial and refresh buttons even faster!!! >>

The key, I think was not to refresh, but let it do it's thing for 10 minutes

It took me 3 1/2 hours to figure that out
    I did all that but would get kicked off anyway thats why I finally and successfully went to the phones.

• << <i>

<< <i> So I started hitting the redial and refresh buttons even faster!!! >>

The key, I think was not to refresh, but let it do it's thing for 10 minutes

It took me 3 1/2 hours to figure that out >>

image it tossed me out quite a few times but letting it sit and spin finally worked, just took a while.
    I eventually figured out a weird pattern of waiting/refreshing/going back/going forward/etc image
    Also, only Safari worked for me. Doesn't make sense that a browser would affect it...but it did. I tried 4 browsers

<< <i>There sure are some weird listings...This one for example:

link

Seller's going to have them graded by NGC. >>

Seller is telling you that he is submitting 15 sets and while the order number (the prefix of the certification number) will be the same on all 15 sets he is submitting, the certification sequencial numbers (last three digits) will all be either the first, second, third, etc. coin that gets graded and assigned a sequencial number by NGC. NGC sequences like coins in a group. For example all of his reverse proofs might be sequenced 001-015 and the regular proofs 016-030, etc. Seller is telling you that the NGC set you receive will have the first reverse proof graded/sequenced (number 001), the first proof graded /sequenced (number 016), and the first coin graded/sequenced in each of the three remaining coins. The result of doing it this way will be sets that could have different grades because the first reverse proof graded might be a 70 while the first proof graded might be a 69. Since seller is having them graded he would probably make more money if he waited until they came back from NGC and he assembled sets of 70, 69, etc.

Strange way to do it but it ensures the buyer is getting a non cherry picked (after grading) set. It's a lottery and he's basically letting NGC decide which coin goes in which set sold. Unfortunately most buyers want to know exactly what they will receive when they purchase a graded coin or coin set.

My mint website pages kept timing out after about 10 seconds. Anyone know how to change/cancel this operation in XP Pro?

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>There sure are some weird listings...This one for example:

link

Seller's going to have them graded by NGC. >>

Seller is telling you that he is submitting 15 sets and your while the order number (the prefix of the certification number) will be the same on all 15 sets he is submitting, the certification sequencial numbers (last three digits) will all be either the first, second, third, etc. coin that gets graded and assigned a sequencial number by NGC. NGC sequences like coins in a group. For example all of his reverse proofs might be sequenced 001-015 and the regular proofs 016-030, etc. Seller is telling you that the NGC set you receive will have the first reverse proof graded/sequenced (number 001), the first proof graded /sequenced (number 016), and the first coin graded/sequenced in each of the three remaining coins. The result of doing it this way will be sets that could have different grades because the first reverse proof graded might be a 70 while the first proof graded might be a 69. Since seller is having them graded he would probably make more money if he waited until they came back from NGC and he assembled sets of 70, 69, etc.

Strange way to do it but it ensures the buyer is getting a non cherry picked (after grading) set. It's a lottery and he's basically letting NGC decide which coin goes in which set sold. Unfortunately most buyers want to know exactly what they will receive when they purchase a graded coin or coin set. >>

I guess it depends on which is the more important, matching grades or consecutive cert numbers.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Ok...let's me preface this by saying I'm on vacation in Florida and it is raining...which is fine 'cuz it's warm and better than the snow back home....

I doubt if there are many double dipped swales at these high prices. There will be when prices rise though.

image >>

>>

Have you included the sales from the BST? Not only some of the dealer's "buy" ads they ad prior to the mess that was the mint's ordering system image, but also all the current "FS, FT, etc" happening right now?
    The BST is starting to look like the USCF with all the "25th ANNV" threads image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

...and people had the unmitigated gall to keep coming into my office with work-related matters!

"Big accident on the interstate...blah blah blah..."

"Major earthquake...hundreds dead...blah blah blah..."

"The building's on fire...blah blah"

Get out...don't you see my [normally open] door's closed today!

And don't you know that means the Mint must be selling something good?
  • just got the email from mint that starts with "we regret to inform you..." but they were letting me know ship date is 11/14..scared me for a sec
    "I'm dropping my standards so that I can buy more"

<< <i>I guess it depends on which is the more important, matching grades or consecutive cert numbers. >>

The funny thing is that his method doesn't give you sequential numbers, your last three digits will have the same spread between them. The only way to get a sequencially numbered set (last three digits) from NGC grading is to submit just one set.

• relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This was planned all along by the G'ment. "The American Mint Stimulus And Recovery Act." The flipping will put extra dollars into the pockets of people just in time to help retailers out for the Christmas season. image
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
    Now here's an obvious, yet interesting question nontheless...if you actually receive any significantly damaged coins (like some of the ATB pucks), there seems to be no recourse at all for any exchanges, correct? As the entire lot has been sold and will be distributed, there can only be returns for refunds.

Now when was the last time that happened on a Mint product?

PS...and since so many people will seemingly be submitting sealed boxes for grading, sight unseen, you might end up with some clinkers (that ordinarily wouldn't have been submitted) with unusually low grades.
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the moment, individual keys from the set seem to be bringing higher prices than intact sets.

A few 2011-S burnished and 2011-P reverse proof have recently sold for $385 to $390 each (presales).

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

<<At the moment, individual keys from the set seem to be bringing higher prices than intact sets.>>

<<A few 2011-S burnished and 2011-P reverse proof have recently sold for $385 to $390 each (presales).>>

????????

OK...that makes no sense unless they're promising to deliver a certain grade in a slab. Are these raw key coins or graded?
    A lot, and I mean a lot of these individual sets being sold on ebay cleverly do not state that they will be delivered sealed to the buyer. I'm thinking a lot of the ebay pre-sellers plan on opening their mint shipment of more than one set to assemble a good set for themselves and are pre-selling what will be left over. The fact that so many single unsealed sets are being pre-sold sold can only bring greater value for those that make it to the grading house sealed. With the additional collectors that will not have them graded, I'm expecting total pops from both major TPGs on "set" coins to come in well under the 100K mintage.

• << <i>I'm expecting total pops from both major TPGs on "set" coins to come in well under the 100K mintage. >>

Totally agree with that thought process. These sets (5) will be my first ever grade submission but I can't see it going bad for anyone who grades. I am grading to get myself a nice set to keep and hope for a nice 70 set. If I don't get any great grades, I'll flip the rest and keep one for myself.

Or..perhaps I'll keep the 70 set, if I get one, and put it away for my younger siblings for college. Hm, decisions decisions.
    <<With the additional collectors that will not have them graded, I'm expecting total pops from both major TPGs on "set" coins to come in well under the 100K mintage. >>

Well...not for nothing...and I don't usually complain about cost, however hoaving 25 coins graded per box is a considerable investment. I myself might only opt to have the two keys graded...if that's an available option.

<< <i>Now here's an obvious, yet interesting question nontheless...if you actually receive any significantly damaged coins (like some of the ATB pucks), there seems to be no recourse at all for any exchanges, correct? As the entire lot has been sold and will be distributed, there can only be returns for refunds.

Now when was the last time that happened on a Mint product?

PS...and since so many people will seemingly be submitting sealed boxes for grading, sight unseen, you might end up with some clinkers (that ordinarily wouldn't have been submitted) with unusually low grades. >>

The Mint exchange option expires 7 days after receipt by original mint buyer. I have returned a lot of gold eagles this year with quality problems that were more than the difference between a 69 and a 70. I've even had to return their replacements. It got so bad on this particular coin that I gave up.

Besides, even if there was no 7 day deadline on ASE set exchanges, there would be nothing on the shelf to exchange it with. They're all gone!

There will probably be a good aftermarket with graded, individual coins as collectors try to get their set to all 70s and all 69s. Depends on how many different label configurations we end up with. PCGS told me there would even be a different PCGS label for bulk submissions.

Is Ebay still pulling listings? Has anyone relisted after having their listing pulled?
  • deleted..

<< <i>Is Ebay still pulling listings? Has anyone relisted after having their listing pulled? >>

Im not gonna risk it and try. Id rather have them in hand
  • mashmash Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    got the email, ordered my sets at 4:40 EST
    Buying uncut sheets and 1914 stars! message me

• << <i><<With the additional collectors that will not have them graded, I'm expecting total pops from both major TPGs on "set" coins to come in well under the 100K mintage. >>

Well...not for nothing...and I don't usually complain about cost, however hoaving 25 coins graded per box is a considerable investment. I myself might only opt to have the two keys graded...if that's an available option. >>

No kidding. Having a box of five sets graded is not a cheap affair. I imagine the payoffs will make it worth it though. With the giant slug of these at PCGS I imagine you might not see them until January.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

I think a huge number of the 5 set boxes will be opened before grading. And since a majority of the Mint orders were
    for 5 set boxes, and since most will therefore only grade the 2 keys, the other 3 "commons" in the set could become
    very rare with the 25th label. This is a very unique situation.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi

• << <i>I think a huge number of the 5 set boxes will be opened before grading. And since a majority of the Mint orders were
    for 5 set boxes, and since most will therefore only grade the 2 keys, the other 3 "commons" in the set could become
    very rare with the 25th label. This is a very unique situation. >>

I agree. A common bullion graded 70 with a 25th label could be the hardest coin to complete a 70 set.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks

• << <i>It will get interesting if the sets are individually sealed within the box on a 5 set order.

I have ordered more than one Mint item at a time, 20 BSA coins, 5 ATB silver quarter sets, etc. and they were packed into a single brown shipping box with one shipping label, side by side, no special packaging except the Mint boxes.

Wouldn't these be packed the same way, 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 Mint box/es in the single brown box, with the shipping label, that has to go to the tpg's sealed? I think the single sealed boxes should command a premium...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file