Home U.S. Coin Forum

25th Anniversary ASE set

Comments

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>It will get interesting if the sets are individually sealed within the box on a 5 set order.

If so you will see a flood of single sets sales as people turn from flipping a 5 box to selling individuals to keep a few. >>

I have ordered more than one Mint item at a time, 20 BSA coins, 5 ATB silver quarter sets, etc. and they were packed into a single brown shipping boxng with one shipping label, side by side, no special packaging except the Mint box. Wouldn't these be packed the same way, 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 Mint box/es in the single brown box that has to go to the tpg's sealed? >>

Did you have a separate order number for each coin? Did you pay a separate shipping charge for each coin? If you did you should get separate boxes...
  • Waiting list info has been removed by US Mint
    Successful BST transactions with : Moderncoinmart,ebaytrader,ModCrewman,CharlieC,Lightcycler

• << <i>

<< <i>I think a huge number of the 5 set boxes will be opened before grading. And since a majority of the Mint orders were
    for 5 set boxes, and since most will therefore only grade the 2 keys, the other 3 "commons" in the set could become
    very rare with the 25th label. This is a very unique situation. >>

I agree. A common bullion graded 70 with a 25th label could be the hardest coin to complete a 70 set. >>

I am not a fan of the label game but I agree. And sometimes you just have to join the zombies.

The straight-up bullion in 25th Anniversary MS70 could be a hit.

I wonder what the odds are of having a complete run of 70s in a five-box submission?

Yep, the set has now moved to "no longer available."
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<I agree. A common bullion graded 70 with a 25th label could be the hardest coin to complete a 70 set. >>

This is possible...AND SCARY...because this is the type of nonsensical stuff that imploded baseball card collecting 15 years ago.

The value of a slab and label combination outweighing the actual rarity of the item (coin) contained within!

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>It will get interesting if the sets are individually sealed within the box on a 5 set order.

If so you will see a flood of single sets sales as people turn from flipping a 5 box to selling individuals to keep a few. >>

I have ordered more than one Mint item at a time, 20 BSA coins, 5 ATB silver quarter sets, etc. and they were packed into a single brown shipping boxng with one shipping label, side by side, no special packaging except the Mint box. Wouldn't these be packed the same way, 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 Mint box/es in the single brown box that has to go to the tpg's sealed? >>

Did you have a separate order number for each coin? Did you pay a separate shipping charge for each coin? If you did you should get separate boxes... >>

That's what I mean, the question was if the sets are being individually sealed within a box of 5 on an order - personally I have never seen that.
  • kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    I can hear Robert Chambers and Mike Mezak saying on their respective shows , The Coin Vault and Coin Collector:

The Coin Vault:
    "Act now, we were only able to acquire 10,000 sets and at $3500.00 per set, these won't last long. You must be
    on the phone right now. You heard me right, only $3500.00 for a raw set, $4500.00 for a set in 69 and $5500 for
    the absolute perfection anniversary set in 70. You get the the special 25th anniversary blue label, early releases pedigree, but
    you must be on the phone now. If you have this show taped and are watching it later, it may be too late. And as a bonus we will
    throw in the no (S) mint mark bullion coin because you don't really have all the coins unless you include the bullion coin from a San Francisco
    minted coin from a green monster box."

Coin Collector:
    "Each set comes as a limited edition first day of issue, serialized to insure its proper place within the first day issue, guaranteed to
    be perfect in perpetuity. None of these coins has ever been , intended to be or ever will be released into circulation. In coin collecting,
    as in other collecting, the single most determining factor of price is what? Condition. The US Mint sold out in, oh, 3, 3 & 1/2 hours making
    this by far the most anticipated release this century, making this by far the most anticipated release this century. I only have 5873 sets in
    the First day of issue. Understand, all the sets did not grade 70. We had to buy thousands and thousands and thousands of sets to
    get 5873 sets that would grade 70. I suspect these sets will sell out today and at only $5,475.00 a set you can't really go wrong, you
    can't really go wrong."
  • dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    <<< This is possible...AND SCARY...because this is the type of nonsensical stuff that imploded baseball card collecting 15 years ago.

The value of a slab and label combination outweighing the actual rarity of the item (coin) contained within! >>>

Isn't that the entire underlying premise of all slabbed bullion coins and most slabbed modern coins in general?
  • paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i> .........

I wonder what the odds are of having a complete run of 70s in a five-box submission?

........... >>

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi

• << <i>

>>

I hope better than 1:25 image
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Sets are not individually packed so that's not an issue.

It will be interesting to say the least to watch how this unfolds.

We know that a lot of these sets will be DQ'd for special labels as boxes of 5 are opened and flipped faster

than the burgers at ...insert your choice....

On the other hand, demand is perhaps at it's absolute peak for Sealed Sets to meet the customer base of

TV, large dealers, small dealers, alike...and we have a Truckloadload of the total 100K ordered in 5 sets per

box, which have to be submitted sealed/intact to make these sets...Sounds like the perfect storm...

• << <i>I can hear Robert Chambers and Mike Mezak saying on their respective shows , The Coin Vault and Coin Collector:

"Act now, we were only able to acquire 10,000 sets and at $3500.00 per set, these won't last long. You must be
    on the phone right now. You heard me right, only $3500.00 for a raw set, $4500.00 for a set in 69 and $5500 for
    the absolute perfection anniversary set in 70. You get the the special 25th anniversary blue label, early releases pedigree, but
    you must be on the phone now. If you have this show taped and are watching it later, it may be too late."

"Each set comes as a limited edition first day of issue, serialized to insure its place in the first day issue, guaranteed to
    be perfect in perpetuity. None of these coins as ever been , intended to be or ever will be released into circulation." >>

That should start shortly after Veteran's Day! However, I think you underestimated the prices! image
    Speaking of the TV coin shows, why do they always shout?
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I can hear Robert Chambers and Mike Mezak saying on their respective shows , The Coin Vault and Coin Collector:

The Coin Vault:
    you must be on the phone now. If you have this show taped and are watching it later, it may be too late."

Coin Collector:
    "Each set comes as a limited edition first day of issue, serialized to insure its proper place within the first day issue, guaranteed to
    be perfect in perpetuity. None of these coins has ever been , intended to be or ever will be released into circulation. In coin collecting,
    as in other collecting, the single most determining factor of price is what? Condition. The US Mint sold out in, oh, 3, 3 & 1/2 hours making
    this by far the most anticipated release this century, making this by far the most anticipated release this century. I only have 5873 sets in
    the First day of issue. Understand, all the sets did not grade 70. We had to buy thousands and thousands and thousands of sets to
    get 5873 sets that would grade 70. I suspect these sets will sell out today and at only $5,475.00 a set you can't really go wrong, you
    can't really go wrong." >>

The only thing I feel you have wrong is the price is too low.

• << <i>Is Ebay still pulling listings? Has anyone relisted after having their listing pulled? >>

I relisted last night & the set sold early this morning.

• Speaking of the TV coin shows, why do they always shout? >>

late at night to keep you awake or wake you upimage

<< <i>I think a huge number of the 5 set boxes will be opened before grading. And since a majority of the Mint orders were
    for 5 set boxes, and since most will therefore only grade the 2 keys, the other 3 "commons" in the set could become

I just searched Ebay using "2011 American Eagle Anniversary set", there were 352 listings. When I added "sealed" to my search that decreased to 58 sets. When I counted single sealed sets (excluded sets with 5 in a sealed box), there were just Fifteen (15) individually sealed sets, or less than 5%.
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

People selling these right now are making a big mistake. I feel they are never going to sell for less than I bought them for and will hold on until I

see what they are selling for when the first 70's start hitting the bricks.
  • bretts911bretts911 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

<< <i>People selling these right now are making a big mistake. I feel they are never going to sell for less than I bought them for and will hold on until I

see what they are selling for when the first 70's start hitting the bricks. >>

• What will the grading fee be for each set if getting first strike and 25th anv labels where applicable at pegs?
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i><<At the moment, individual keys from the set seem to be bringing higher prices than intact sets.>>

<<A few 2011-S burnished and 2011-P reverse proof have recently sold for $385 to $390 each (presales).>>

????????

OK...that makes no sense unless they're promising to deliver a certain grade in a slab. Are these raw key coins or graded? >>

Raw.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• stealerstealer Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭✭
    Did anyone else get this email?

Fwd: Backorder - Order #XXXXXXXX

show details 10:31 AM (2 hours ago)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
    Date: Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 4:03 AM
    Subject: Backorder - Order #XXXXXXXX

Greetings from the United States Mint.
    We regret to inform you that the item(s) listed below
    are currently on backorder. Please expect your item(s)
    to arrive within the timeframe listed below.
    Track your order at http://catalog.usmint.gov
    Thanks again for shopping with the United States Mint.

Order #: XXXXXXXX - 1

Item: A25 Qty: 5 Exp Ship: 11/14/11
    25TH ANNIVERSARY AE 5 COIN SILVER SET

This is a system generated e-mail. Please do not reply.
    If you have questions, please visit the Help page at .
    http://catalog.usmint.gov or call us at 1-800-USA-MINT .

<< <i>Did anyone else get this email?

Fwd: Backorder - Order #xxxxxxxx

Inbox
    X

More
    [Available] MIN-CHUN TSAI to me

http://catalog.usmint.gov or call us at 1-800-USA-MINT . >>

I got it as well. It is sent to everyone with an order telling us the same info we
    would find out while searching order history.
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I can hear Robert Chambers and Mike Mezak saying on their respective shows , The Coin Vault and Coin Collector:

The Coin Vault:
    you must be on the phone now. If you have this show taped and are watching it later, it may be too late. And as a bonus we will
    throw in the no (S) mint mark bullion coin because you don't really have all the coins unless you include the bullion coin from a San Francisco

Coin Collector:

So Coin vault got 10% of the mintage? B.S.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • partagaspartagas Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭
    I received those emails as well for the sets I have ordered. Hopefully they ship on the 14th and don't get pushed back.
    If I say something in the woods, and my wife isn't around. Am I still wrong?
  • stealerstealer Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭✭
    I really don't mind when they ship...as long as I get them! image
    I also expect [presale] prices to spike as the news from CW of the sellout spreads throughout the hobby.

I'm willing to bet that a good number of potential collectors had no idea this item was on sale last week...or simply forgot to order it (unlike us, some people don't spend every waking hour trolling coin-related blogs)
  • Thought for the day! This could be a bonanza for the TPG's. What would you say the percentage of 100K sets will be sent in for grading (any grade) and TPG ??? or is it too crazy to calculate??

• << <i>

The Coin Vault:

Coin Collector:

So Coin vault got 10% of the mintage? B.S. >>

It was meant to be humorous, I believe. image
  • commacomma Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I also expect [presale] prices to spike as the news from CW of the sellout spreads throughout the hobby.

I'm willing to bet that a good number of potential collectors had no idea this item was on sale last week...or simply forgot to order it. >>

My dad has strictly collected mint products...well, forever! And he had no idea these were even coming out.
    And he isn't the only Mint collector I know who had no clue.
    That is part of the reason I know these are going to keep going up for a while

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Did you have a separate order number for each coin? Did you pay a separate shipping charge for each coin? If you did you should get separate boxes... >>

That's what I mean, the question was if the sets are being individually sealed within a box of 5 on an order - personally I have never seen that. >>

You don't spose that the boxes will arrive with loose coins bouncing around inside?
    theknowitalltroll;
  • FWIW some of my orders just now have gone from "on hold" to "in progress"

<< <i>

<< <i>

The Coin Vault:

Coin Collector:

It was meant to be humorous, I believe. image >>

Indeed, it was meant to be humor.
    I am really curious how many sets each company received with a 5 per house hold limit though.
  • nurmalernurmaler Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

I agree. A common bullion graded 70 with a 25th label could be the hardest coin to complete a 70 set. >>

Not so unique... Look at the 2006-W $1 20th Anniversary 1st strike... - only 223 70's - PCGS price guide = $2,000. (vs "only" $775 for the Reverse Proof FS (496 Pop))
  • relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those of you that placed a single order for 5 (not multiple orders totaling 5) will be recieving one sealed box. If you plan to keep 1 set and sell the other 4, how will you handle this? Once you open that box, the labeling for the other 3 coins in each set goes out the window and I don't really feel like paying for 5 sets to be graded so I can keep 1 and flip the other 4.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

The Coin Vault:

Coin Collector:

It was meant to be humorous, I believe. image >>

Indeed, it was meant to be humor.
    I am really curious how many sets each company received with a 5 per house hold limit though. >>

The 2 bigest sellers of the 2006 set were MCM and Scotsman coins.. MCM will be one of the 2011 big sellers
    <<My dad has strictly collected mint products...well, forever! And he had no idea these were even coming out.>>

And you forgot to mention it to him last week?!? You could have had him hitting the redial button [with his cane] too!!!

I'd also be surprised if some of the large dealers that offered what would now be considered small bounties, are going to actually lay their hands on large quantities of sets.

Their offer prices may need to be adjusted upward a bit to secure adequate stock.
  • nurmalernurmaler Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭
    derryb,

It seems like you're under the assumption that "open" reverse proof and 's' coins are eligible for 25th anniversary label.
    NGC - yes. PCGS - as of now (spoke with them today) - NO
  • Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Did anyone else get this email?

Fwd: Backorder - Order #xxxxxxxx

Inbox
    X

More
    [Available] MIN-CHUN TSAI to me

http://catalog.usmint.gov or call us at 1-800-USA-MINT . >>

I got it as well. It is sent to everyone with an order telling us the same info we
    would find out while searching order history. >>

I didn't get the email on any of the three orders I placed. My two orders of 2 each have changed to being on hold to "Order Status: Your order request is in process." My last order of one is still on hold.

<< <i>FWIW some of my orders just now have gone from "on hold" to "in progress" >>

Same here. Wait I hear a truck,..... is it UPS? image
  • bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭
    you can bet the 1st PCGS all 70s' set will go for $ 8-10,000..NGC 7000-8000
  • commacomma Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭

<< <i><<My dad has strictly collected mint products...well, forever! And he had no idea these were even coming out.>>

And you forgot to mention it to him last week?!? You could have had him hitting the redial button [with his cane] too!!!

image >>

Haha, I told him the day before, and he did image He doesn't have a cane (yet)...He's only 50.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd also be surprised if some of the large dealers that offered what would now be considered small bounties, are going to actually lay their hands on large quantities of sets.

Their offer prices may need to be adjusted upward a bit to secure adequate stock. >>

So how would folks here feel if someone reneged on a deal and was outed on the boards? Would they immediately get banned from your circle of trust and permanently placed on your chit list?
    theknowitalltroll;
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Those of you that placed a single order for 5 (not multiple orders totaling 5) will be recieving one sealed box. If you plan to keep 1 set and sell the other 4, how will you handle this? Once you open that box, the labeling for the other 3 coins in each set goes out the window and I don't really feel like paying for 5 sets to be graded so I can keep 1 and flip the other 4. >>

i suppose you have three opportunities

1) sell the sealed box of 5 sets and buy a single sealed set with some or all the profits.
    2) open the box and put the best of each variety in your own set and sell the rest as open. you might surprise yourself. a few are just hungry for the RP and especially the "S" MM take those profits and put it towards a one 5 coin sealed set.
    3) sell all 5 as open, buy a single sealed.

• epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'd also be surprised if some of the large dealers that offered what would now be considered small bounties, are going to actually lay their hands on large quantities of sets.

Their offer prices may need to be adjusted upward a bit to secure adequate stock. >>

So how would folks here feel if someone reneged on a deal and was outed on the boards? Would they immediately get banned from your circle of trust and permanently placed on your chit list? >>

I'd blast 'em, never do business with them, because if they re-neged on flipping sets @ $85 per set to me and I can sell graded sets @ $8 - 10,000 a pop, well you'll just never be able to trust them ever again. image
    <<So how would folks here feel if someone reneged on a deal and was outed on the boards? Would they immediately get banned from your circle of trust and permanently placed on your chit list? >>

Shafting someone here on the boards would be dicey...but as for "reneging" with a large dealer...remind me again, how were those deals arranged?

You were offered let's say $100/set over issue price, then you were supposed to call the dealer with your confirmation number? Well, after all the hassle of getting through to the Mint to order these things, how many people do you think got the impression that there might be a higher premium placed on these sets not too far down the road...and therefore didn't call in their confirmation numbers?!?

It's one thing to be mindlessly flipping a hot potato...or a hand grenade before it blows your face off...but it's another thing to be flipping a gold brick that seems to be getting heavier between each flip!

<< <i>You were offered let's say $100/set over issue price, then you were supposed to call the dealer with your confirmation number? Well, after all the hassle of getting through to the Mint to order these things, how many people do you think got the impression that there might be a higher premium placed on these sets not too far down the road...and therefore didn't call in their confirmation numbers?!? >>

Reminds me of the offshore betting sites I use. You may, or may not get paid. No rules. No way of enforcing it. They'll take YOUR money in a heartbeat. Have to depend on the good faith of them, to get what your owed.image
  • fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭

<< <i>Those of you that placed a single order for 5 ....
    If you plan to keep 1 set and sell the other 4, how will you handle this? >>

i have not determined that yet.

figure i have ~2weeks to come up with a plan.

PM sent.
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

<< <i>FWIW some of my orders just now have gone from "on hold" to "in progress" >>

What time were your now "in progress" orders placed?

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Ok...let's me preface this by saying I'm on vacation in Florida and it is raining...which is fine 'cuz it's warm and better than the snow back home....

Anyway....I did some stats on the number of sets sold as pre-sales from 10/18 (yes the 18th) to an hour ago....I took out the cancelled sales and the single "key" coin sales...I'm sure I missed a few sets but here are the stats (not separated by opened vs. sealed) :

single sets: 376...total 376
    two sets..........2...total....4
    three sets........3..total....9
    four sets..........5..total...20
    five sets......155..total..775
    twenty five sets..1.total.. 25

Total sets sold before ANY have been delivered.....1209

I doubt if there are many double dipped swales at these high prices. There will be when prices rise though.

I can't rule out some double flipping in there but I would think it would be at a minimum

image >>

>>

Have you included the sales from the BST? Not only some of the dealer's "buy" ads they ad prior to the mess that was the mint's ordering system image, but also all the current "FS, FT, etc" happening right now?
    The BST is starting to look like the USCF with all the "25th ANNV" threads image >>

Sorry...that is just Ebay..and completed sales not sets presently on sale
  • ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Got same email x4, ordered 4 single and 1 double. Don't mind backorder, was afraid it was going to say something else. >>

Well if you ordered 4 singles and 1 double you will have 1 of your singles cancelled for ordering over the hh limits.
    Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file