Home U.S. Coin Forum

Updated 7/28/11 - MH & GC ON SALE NOW -- 27,000 Numismatic ATB 2010 5oz Pucks -- **Official Pre-

Comments

• Just got mine and off to its rightfull owner.
  • hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Theres probably still some left because nobody has really seen this particular new type of finish in hand. But if it turns out to be something attractive to compliment the PL's set.... Oh baby! image >>

Got mine today, Nice. They look so much better than the bullion version. >>

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • I ordered the 2010 and 2011 proof sets as well as the P Puck. Got the proof sets yesterday and site indicated they were all together. Called the mint and got a seperate tracking for the P Puck and it will be here this evening.
  • kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
  • 123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Got my puck today.
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    got mine yesterday, haven't opened it. Not sure if I will.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>got mine yesterday, haven't opened it. Not sure if I will. >>

Whatever!!! Open it!!!!

Are you a taped up box collector or are you a coin collector????

Mine is still in stock and reserved... guess that's what I get for not ordering until around 8pm EDT on the first day image

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The last 2 weeks purchases, overpaid obviously during 'the run' but whatever - these are just going into the stack.

• CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
    If you send your P pucks for grading even if you open your package you will still get the First Strike designation right? or should the package still be sealed?
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

When I put the collector's version beside the bullion version I see why I will only collect the bullion version even though the will be harder to

collect in MS69 DMPL. The collector's version will, at best, probably not go above MS 69.

They look 1000% better and will command a much higher premium in later years.
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Will the numispucks in high grade be more valuable than the bullion DMPL's in high grade???
    I'm having mixed emotions on what to collect.
    This is the first time that the collectors' version of the coin is not as cool as the DMPL bullion IMHO. >>

My same dilemma, GB. What to do?

I know I can not afford both so my gut tells me to go with the one that I like the best.

• << <i>When I put the collector's version beside the bullion version I see why I will only collect the bullion version even though the will be harder to

collect in MS69 DMPL. The collector's version will, at best, probably not go above MS 69.

They look 1000% better and will command a much higher premium in later years. >>

Why won't the"P" version go above MS69?? The ones I've seen look flawless at least compared to the bullion versions.
  • paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

Anyone ever hear of the Mint shipping something before charging the card? Well they just did that for me. Ordered a bag of Ystone quarters along with my puck. Time of order was before 1:30. Website still shows both items "in stock and reserved". No tracking info. CC not charged. Yet the nice UPS man just dropped off my bag of quarters. No puck though. Strange way to run a business. Maybe it's time for Uncle Sam to put his mint operations out for bid. Either that or hire Daniel Carr to run the place. image

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi

<< <i>

<< <i>When I put the collector's version beside the bullion version I see why I will only collect the bullion version even though the will be harder to

They look 1000% better and will command a much higher premium in later years. >>

Why won't the"P" version go above MS69?? The ones I've seen look flawless at least compared to the bullion versions. >>

I have only seen 4 of them but have not seen a flawless one yet and have no intention of sending any in to be graded until I start seeing some 70's.
    June 4 is the cut off date for "First Strike" on these coins. After that they have to be in the sealed mint box.
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    Illini420, I collect the box, not the coin imageimage
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭✭
    Why send them to be graded so fast?

How many people were burned when PCGS started adding PL, DMPL to the grade.

Who knows what change they will introduce after yours have come back that may necessitate resubbing and paying more $$$.

Let PCGS finalize their approach after a month or two of grading.

Loves me some shiny!
  • nurmalernurmaler Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭
    Here's Yellowstone P Product Page...

(Let the refreshing begin! image )
  • alhasalhas Posts: 85 ✭✭

<< <i>Photo is much appreciated, but why do people photograph through plastic when the capsule can be opened? >>

"Geeze, what a huge honkin' capsule.. I think I can get it open if I'm reeeeeeeeeeeealy careful.. Pry.. pry.. almost open.. just a little more pryin' around the edge and.. OOPS!.. {{slip.. CLANG!.. bounce.. CLANG!.. roll.. roll.. where'd it go?.. oh, there it is, on the other side of the room.. nice doggy.. good doggy / baby / cat / parrot / pet alligator.. don't pick up the shiny metal thing with your tee.. EEK!}}".. image >>

That's because you don't have the official capsule opening tool, a.k.a. miniature screwdriver. I suppose opening one of these could take awhile though, unlike the air-tites. >>

Thin Bladed Stamp Tongs Would Work. I ave a pair of thin bladed tweezers similar to stamp tongs and they work well without the cutting hazard of a utility knife.
    image >>

I received my good-looking P-Puck today! I was expecting the coin to be in an Air-Tites like the one ASE comes in. However, the capsule is the easy open Z5 Air-Tite Direct Fit kind for $1.60. The puck rattles inside the capsule. Is this how you all expected and received the puck? You do not need any tools to open the capsule; it just comes apart easily like the bullion version from MTB.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Mint's capsules are different than the Z5 air-tite direct fits.

both were easy to open for me. I opened both with just my hands.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Received my Hot Springs 2010 P puck today.

These are far far superior to the bullion version. Nice burnished finish and exquisite..

Really a great looking coinmedal..

<< <i>Why send them to be graded so fast?

How many people were burned when PCGS started adding PL, DMPL to the grade.

Who knows what change they will introduce after yours have come back that may necessitate resubbing and paying more $$$.

Let PCGS finalize their approach after a month or two of grading. >>

on the coin number lookup page, they already have numbers for them and they will receive the SP designation instead of the MS one.

oddly enough, they have PL and MDPL for the 2011 P-Mint issues, but not for the 2010 P-Mint issues. I question the usage of both PL and MDPL for any P-Mint issue.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭

<< <i>image
    image >>

exactly like mine, cept the one I have does not exhibit
    the bangs and dings yours does

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill

<< <i>Anyone ever hear of the Mint shipping something before charging the card? Well they just did that for me. Ordered a bag of Ystone quarters along with my puck. Time of order was before 1:30. Website still shows both items "in stock and reserved". No tracking info. CC not charged. Yet the nice UPS man just dropped off my bag of quarters. No puck though. Strange way to run a business. Maybe it's time for Uncle Sam to put his mint operations out for bid. Either that or hire Daniel Carr to run the place. image >>

They already have put it out for bid.

What you are experiencing is a government contractor's fulfillment operations: Pitney Bowes Government Solutions: a/k/a PBGS

It's been that way since 2009.

<< <i>The last 2 weeks purchases, overpaid obviously during 'the run' but whatever - these are just going into the stack.

image >>

pandas rock

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill

<< <i>

oddly enough, they have PL and MDPL (sic) for the 2011 P-Mint issues, but not for the 2010 P-Mint issues. I question the usage of both PL and MDPL for any P-Mint issue. >>

How can a Matte-finish coin have PL or DMPL surfaces?..

El no makeo senso.. image
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."

<< <i>The Mint's capsules are different than the Z5 air-tite direct fits.

both were easy to open for me. I opened both with just my hands. >>

you downplay that skill, I could tell you some stories, thats a gift.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • chiefbobchiefbob Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    Wow. Really lucked out, as the order in my wife's name with a different email address, got accepted and is ready to be picked up at the post office! Many said this wouldn't work as they screen for mailing addresses, etc. Well, it did.

One thing that's different from my order - hers was shipped by UPS signature only, and mine was priority mail through the USPS.

Anyway, glad to get two of these to add to the silver stash!

Cheers!

Bob
    Retired Air Force 1965-2000
    Vietnam Vet 1968-1969
  • chiefbobchiefbob Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's Yellowstone P Product Page...

(Let the refreshing begin! image ) >>

Thanks for the heads-up! Are they issuing these for the next four months in a row?

Bob
    Retired Air Force 1965-2000
    Vietnam Vet 1968-1969
  • Looks like about 150 left according to mintnewsblog. Hopefully the Yellowstone will sell better.
  • drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    I've looked at several P-Pucks, and I'm noticing all have something going on between the letters in S P R I N G and weakness at the bottom of the letters "R T" in Q U A R T E R. Anyone else?
    I've asked this question a few times, but have yet to get a (correct) response.. or, for that matter, any response at all..

Maybe no one knows?.. C'mon.. someone's gotta know..

Are the "P" manhole covers Minted from the same dies that made the Bullion version(s) and they just added a mintmark, and then "vapor-blasted" them, to give them the different finish, or are the "P" bathtub stoppers minted from a totally different set of fresh dies, specifically made to mint the 27,000 each of the 2010 frisbees?..

I'm so weary of the word "puck", I'm using different silly nicknames for them..

No guesses, please.. either someone reading this knows, or doesn't know.. *I* don't know.. I'm just trying to find out..
  • sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 831 ✭✭✭
    Nice coin pontiac - my unit is exactly the same - the advantage of low mintage

laser you better contact the mint director to get a straight answer.
    My speculation is that they utilized the same hub but made the "P"
    and satin finish alterations later on a small set.
    (Makes good economic sense.)

Given the equivalence of "high" quality in both formats. I suspect
    most of the bullion flaws are either related to average planchets
    or to bagging/stacking processes.
  • Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    Mine is "In stock & reserved" with the cancel box gone. So, I expect it will be here any day. I may skip the grading and just put it in "my stack."
  • coinman420coinman420 Posts: 4,666

<< <i>I've looked at several P-Pucks, and I'm noticing all have something going on between the letters in S P R I N G and weakness at the bottom of the letters "R T" in Q U A R T E R. Anyone else? >>

yes i see the same on mine but its not visible in these photos.

my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.

<< <i>I've asked this question a few times, but have yet to get a (correct) response.. or, for that matter, any response at all..

Maybe no one knows?.. C'mon.. someone's gotta know..

Are the "P" manhole covers Minted from the same dies that made the Bullion version(s) and they just added a mintmark, and then "vapor-blasted" them, to give them the different finish, or are the "P" bathtub stoppers minted from a totally different set of fresh dies, specifically made to mint the 27,000 each of the 2010 frisbees?..

I'm so weary of the word "puck", I'm using different silly nicknames for them..

No guesses, please.. either someone reading this knows, or doesn't know.. *I* don't know.. I'm just trying to find out.. >>

Good question but don't know the answer. My guess would be no.

<< <i>Nice coin pontiac - my unit is exactly the same - the advantage of low mintage

laser you better contact the mint director to get a straight answer.
    My speculation is that they utilized the same hub but made the "P"
    and satin finish alterations later on a small set.
    (Makes good economic sense.)

Given the equivalence of "high" quality in both formats. I suspect
    most of the bullion flaws are either related to average planchets
    or to bagging/stacking processes. >>

One thing we do know about these are they are not hubbed.

each die is cut individually.
  • badhop55badhop55 Posts: 158 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've looked at several P-Pucks, and I'm noticing all have something going on between the letters in S P R I N G and weakness at the bottom of the letters "R T" in Q U A R T E R. Anyone else? >>

Same with mine.
  • Just got mine today - everything is perfect on the coin, only problem is a very small scratch above the T of STATES. wondering if I should return it......but I don't know if I would get a worst example.......what to do????
    MT
    mine did not have the weakness in RT nor the issues in SPRINGS.

One chance you would be taking is that they would not reserve one for you before they sold out.

you'd have to express it in, and then it'd take a couple of days to check in, then they'd have to go through the same credit card processing time.

It might be easier for you to line up someone to buy a 2nd for you and just return that one for a refund.

• From my sons first Mint purchase:

Items included in this shipment:

1. 2010 ATB SILVER COIN - HOT SPRINGS (NP1) Qty : 1

2. 2011 UNCIRCULATED SET (U11) Qty : 1

Only problem is the puck was not in the shipment!!! Needless to say he is bummed and very frustrated. He was charged for the puck. I thought maybe there were two boxes coming but he only got one tracking number.
    The box says 0.9lbs. and that is what it weighs with just the uncirculated set. I guess we will be on the phone with the mint in the am.

I hate crud like this...why cant they just get it right?!?!?

Edit to add: So we log into his online account at the mint and it lists NO ORDERS in his account history. Geez!image
  • chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    I just ordered one of the hot spring pucks last week figuring I'd never get one..... now I hear they mailed me one....what do I do now? take up hockey?
  • mikeygmikeyg Posts: 1,002

still waiting for some news.Ordered on 5/3/2011.Cancel box is gone and says order in progress.

<< <i>From my sons first Mint purchase:

Items included in this shipment:

1. 2010 ATB SILVER COIN - HOT SPRINGS (NP1) Qty : 1

2. 2011 UNCIRCULATED SET (U11) Qty : 1

Only problem is the puck was not in the shipment!!! Needless to say he is bummed and very frustrated. He was charged for the puck. I thought maybe there were two boxes coming but he only got one tracking number.
    The box says 0.9lbs. and that is what it weighs with just the uncirculated set. I guess we will be on the phone with the mint in the am.

I hate crud like this...why cant they just get it right?!?!?

Edit to add: So we log into his online account at the mint and it lists NO ORDERS in his account history. Geez!image >>

They are entering things as shipped when they are not shipped. Mine came that way. First some of the other stuff came, and it was marked shipped on the same day as the puck. That stuff came but no puck. It took 2 calls to get the Pucks tracking number. It came the next day.

Yours might be there tomorrow. Surprise!

If it is not there tomorrow, call them.
  • clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    Got my shipping confirm today

<< <i>I just ordered one of the hot spring pucks last week figuring I'd never get one..... now I hear they mailed me one....what do I do now? take up hockey? >>

If you like it, keep it.

Or you can try the BST.

one closed yesterday on eBay for $370 BIN.

You might like it. For some reason they don't seem like "Attack of The Giant Quarters," unlike the bullion version.

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine also show this. I will attempt photos later tonight.

edited to white balance photo correctly

edited for white balance correction and rotation

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file