Home U.S. Coin Forum

Updated 7/28/11 - MH & GC ON SALE NOW -- 27,000 Numismatic ATB 2010 5oz Pucks -- **Official Pre-

Comments

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I sort of get why folks pay a premium for a sealed box, but seriously, mine was sealed with a single strip of clear packing tape... I could have resealed it very easily if I wanted to do so. It's hard to believe PCGS honors the shipping date for First Strike eligiblity based on that single strip of clear tape. >>

The whole FS thing is a scam, just another greedy money making invention.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

They will be but people like the proof like appearance . Just look what the proof eagles sell for over the dull finish on these coins. If you can get

them in MS 69 dmpl or even MS 68 dmpl you have a winner.
  • Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    It also seems people like regular issues (PR & BU) or bullion which leads to another question. Why did the mint issue bullion with PR quality and their on products for sale with Bullion quality?
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭
    MCM has the SP 70s in NGC. All gone now for $649. I wonder how many they had. I just purchased the Gettysburg 69 DMPL PCGS First Strike. Couldn't resist.

• << <i>MCM has the SP 70s in NGC. All gone now for $649. I wonder how many they had. I just purchased the Gettysburg 69 DMPL PCGS First Strike. Couldn't resist. >>

The SP70s still appear to be sale on MCM? Don't think they are sold out.

So an NGC SP69 for $349 and SP70 for $649 - hope we go up from here.
  • hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭
    I think I'll leave mine raw in the OGP.. I've examined it twelve ways to Sunday, and it doesn't exhibit ANY of the "hammering" or weak strike or rippling mottos problems in the photos that some others have posted of theirs.. it's absolutely a fully-struck coin, but there is a tiny tiny tiny *tiny*.. did I say tiny?.. mark on George's cheek, that's not even visible from half a foot away, which is saying something for such a huge coin, and can't even be seen at all, if the coin is tilted a certain way in the light.. so I don't think it'd make an SP70.. then again, a few years ago, I won a PCGS $5.00 Gold PR70 DCAM SF Old Mint Proof on TeleTrade, and when I got it, it had a frost break in the middle of one of the colums on the building that could be seen shining out like a beacon, from three feet away, no matter which way I tilted it, and a $5.00 Gold piece is like a speck compared to these huge bathtub stoppers..

I don't know how the grader missed that.. a PR70 DCAM Proof should have NO frost breaks at all.. so I returned it, and they were nice enough to give me a 100% refund, with no re-stocking fee..

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 831 ✭✭✭

>I won a PCGS $5.00 Gold PR70 DCAM SF Old Mint Proof on TeleTrade, and when I got it, it had a frost break in the middle of one of the colums on the building that could be seen shining out like a beacon

I had a similar issue with the SF coins. If I remember correctly they were hastily minted at the SF Mint and there were a lot of quality issues.

Getting back to the 5Oz HS "P" my unit is clean as far as I can tell, and it will remain in its very classy OGP. I can't stand the idea of putting plastic on this beaut.

They were sold out a few hours ago. Maybe they got more.
  • Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i> I had a similar issue with the SF coins. If I remember correctly they were hastily minted at the SF Mint and there were a lot of quality issues. >>

Gee, I always thought that was why there were grades below PR70. If the coin has a quality issue, it s/b graded accordingly.
  • paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

<< <i>MCM has the SP 70s in NGC. All gone now for $649. I wonder how many they had. I just purchased the Gettysburg 69 DMPL PCGS First Strike. Couldn't resist. >>

They're charging $449 for the PCGS MS69 DMPL Getty, and $649 for the NGC MS69 PL Getty? Why is the NGC $200 more than the PCGS? Furthermore, the NGC is "just a PL" while the PCGS is a top of the pop DMPL.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi

• << <i>

<< <i>MCM has the SP 70s in NGC. All gone now for $649. I wonder how many they had. I just purchased the Gettysburg 69 DMPL PCGS First Strike. Couldn't resist. >>

They're charging $449 for the PCGS MS69 DMPL Getty, and $649 for the NGC MS69 PL Getty? Why is the NGC $200 more than the PCGS? Furthermore, the NGC is "just a PL" while the PCGS is a top of the pop DMPL. >>

I don't see the NGC PL item but NGC PLs are alot tougher to come by, PCGS hands them out like candy so I'm guessing thats why.
  • paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭
    Well, here's the listing:

"2011 5 Oz America The Beautiful Gettysburg National Military Park NGC MS69 PL ER Mint State 69 Prooflike Early Releases ***NEW ARRIVAL*** See details 2011 5 Oz America The Beautiful Gettysburg National Military Park NGC MS69 PL ER Mint State 69 Prooflike Early Releases ***NEW ARRIVAL*** SKU: SKU23303 The 2011 America The Beautiful 5 ounce silver coins are here now! Once again, MCM is the FIRST to bring certified coins to the marketplace with this offering of pristine NGC graded examples. We submitted close to 1000 of these to NGC and got zero DPL and just a few PL. These may fluctuate in pric... CALL 1-800-362-9004 EXT 345, 111, 355 OR 311 to place an order Our price: $649.00 Quantity Add to Cart"

For the 2010s, NGC initially gave out lots of PLs, then tightened up. Maybe they're doing the same with the 2011s. But in the end, isn't a PL a PL?

Edited to add: OK, I get it. They're charging an extra $200 for the holder. Got it. image

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An As Yet Unmentioned Storage Option for the 5oz Silver Coins -- Plus a Potential NT(?) Option

I talked with a mint sales person today who said someone brought in some silver 5oz coins looking for something to put them in.

He sold them:
    Deluxe Blue Presentation Case for 3" Medal (022) $8.00

He said it was a perfect fit, but doesn't think they will fit the capsules and coin, just the coin fits in.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • RedHerringRedHerring Posts: 2,077
    Anybody know when these will be added to the bullion "flex" price listing?
    MCM is one quarter mile away from NGC.. that's how they can get them slabbed and into their online store so fast.. they could literally walk them over to NGC, although I suspect they use a car.. image
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
  • Finally ... I managed to get on the forums.

So this being my first post I would of course like to say HELLO ALL

Now to the meat of the post ...

Whats everyones thoughts on the Error versions showing up on Ebay of the ATB HS 2010 ?

Also what are your opinions on who to send to for grading ... ANACS , PCGS or NGC ?

Well first of all. Welcome!

The only 3rd party grader to use is PCGS. They are much more widely accepted than NGC or ANACS but they will cost you more money which you will get back many times over when you sell them.

The errors showing up on those coins are not real errors.

• << <i>Well first of all. Welcome!

The only 3rd party grader to use is PCGS. They are much more widely accepted than NGC or ANACS but they will cost you more money which you will get back many times over when you sell them.

The errors showing up on those coins are not real errors. >>

Thank you for the advise on grading ... just picked the Plat membership with them

As far as the "error" or whatever it is .. what would you (and others here ) consider it ?

• << <i>

<< <i>Well first of all. Welcome!

The errors showing up on those coins are not real errors. >>

Thank you for the advise on grading ... just picked the Plat membership with them

As far as the "error" or whatever it is .. what would you (and others here ) consider it ? >>

image Have not yet seen a good error on the bullion or the P pucks yet. If you have one please post a pic. Some people were talking about the doubling but the experts determined that was not an error.
    It's machine doubling .

Congrats on your new platinum membership.
    An As Yet Unmentioned Storage Option for the 5oz Silver Coins -- Plus a Potential NT(?) Option

I talked with a mint sales person today who said someone brought in some silver 5oz coins looking for something to put them in.

He sold them:
    Deluxe Blue Presentation Case for 3" Medal (022) $8.00

He said it was a perfect fit, but doesn't think they will fit the capsules and coin, just the coin fits in.

Cool. Might buy a few for a toning experiment with these.
  • http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-P-5-oz-HOT-SPRINGS-AMERICA-BEAUTIFUL-ERROR-/200607872713?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item2eb52936c9#ht_500wt_922

That is what he is talking about. I just saw that this morning. Then, I get to work and pick up my second coin from the front desk and open it - what do ya know? Same thing. I have this "daisy chaining" going on as well.

Any input?

<< <i>It's machine doubling .

Congrats on your new platinum membership. >>

yeah, those "doubling" errors on the indented letters are not errors.

When the presses are not tightened up to remove slop and play, you get what is known as "machine doubling."

the die does not have the doubling. The doubling came from the striking process and, as we've seen, is common.

if the die was doubled, that'd be different. It'd be an error then.

Here is an article about it

===========================================================================================

Oh.

If you mean this

there are a number of people reporting similar problems.

First, just because someone name it whatever, in this case "daisy chaining," that doesn't mean that is legitimate. They give it a name to make it sound legitimate.

It looks like a problem on the die, but it may be due to die wear instead of a die mistake.

if a bunch of them are pictured, and they look progressively worse, that'd be a sign of some kind of die wear.

I'd be interested in seeing close up pictures of other people's coins with the same problem.

Right now, my guess is die wear and that is not an error.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • As far as I can tell, having one of the "errored" coins in-hand, it doesn't look like doubling. Now, I'm not claiming to be an expert. It almost looks more like the metal was weak in that particular spot and when it was pressed, the surrounding metal gave way and "wrinkled" up a bit.

All I have to work with is my blackberry camera. The "damage" is much worse than my photo shows. I will take pics with my DSLR later tonight, when I get home.
    [/URL]"> [IMG

<< <i>As far as I can tell, having one of the "errored" coins in-hand, it doesn't look like doubling. Now, I'm not claiming to be an expert. It almost looks more like the metal was weak in that particular spot and when it was pressed, the surrounding metal gave way and "wrinkled" up a bit. >>

I thought he meant the typical" one people mentioned: the doubling on the letters.

This is not that one.

This is the "new problem" that people have found on the numismatic ones.

I'm going with die wear.

Are these five ounce manhole covers (either the "P" or the Bullion flavors).. struck multiple times, or just once?..
  • Wow, having a hell of a time. The site keeps bugging out when I try to edit my post. I suppose I should start using the Preview button.

Here's a link to a photo of mine (only have a blackberry camera with me right now): Link
  • UNLVinoUNLVino Posts: 416
    YAY! Got mine today! Did the PuckABurra post as a thread as promised, but picture here too! Unfortunately (or fortunately if it becomes the case down the road) I have the issue with SPRING on mine.

• << <i>Wow, having a hell of a time. The site keeps bugging out when I try to edit my post. I suppose I should start using the Preview button.

Here's a link to a photo of mine (only have a blackberry camera with me right now): Link >>

Yes that is the issue you are showing in the picture ... curious to see everyones thoughts on this item and what it may do to the value of the coin as well as the grading of it

here is pontiacinf's coin: same issue

<< <i>

<< <i>image
    image >>

exactly like mine, cept the one I have does not exhibit
    the bangs and dings yours does

image >>

here is coinman420's: same issue

<< <i>

<< <i>I've looked at several P-Pucks, and I'm noticing all have something going on between the letters in S P R I N G and weakness at the bottom of the letters "R T" in Q U A R T E R. Anyone else? >>

yes i see the same on mine but its not visible in these photos.

image >>

here is kimber45ACP's: same issue

<< <i>image
    image >>

Link to a Link of both sides in SUPER JUMBO size.

same issue.

Also note: the tree and mountain can be seen on the National Park Service Sign next to the door. That's a lot of detail.

<< <i>Very nice scans from a CCF member here:

Numis Puck Images >>

Kudbegud had a picture up, but removed it.

maybe it can reappear?

<< <i>image

edited for white balance correction and rotation >>

And this is what CaptHenway had to say about the now gone photo and not gone problem.

<< <i>

<< <i>image

edited to white balance photo correctly >>

Looks like die damage. Perhaps the upper die slipped in its die holder and came down at an angle, clashing against this die in an arc. It might then have been smoothed down and reused.

Since the Mint can't hub these dies and has to cut them with a laser, which I imagine must take some time considering the size of the dies, they might try to extend die life. This is all speculation on my part.

TD >>

Question on the "issue" with the "SPRINGS":

are those things indentations into the coin or do they stick up from the coin's surface?

<< <i>http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-P-5-oz-HOT-SPRINGS-AMERICA-BEAUTIFUL-ERROR-/200607872713?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item2eb52936c9#ht_500wt_922

That is what he is talking about. I just saw that this morning. Then, I get to work and pick up my second coin from the front desk and open it - what do ya know? Same thing. I have this "daisy chaining" going on as well.

Any input? >>

here is a great picture of it:

• They seem to be smeared indentations - here's a big pic. So far have gotten one with, one without:

And here is the same coin with different lighting (the "doubling" is caused by the lighting to try and bring out the smear:

I have to say here above pics...thats not my coin, and I just as a joke said it was like mine without bangs and dings, I was joking, did not notice any problems but i see the stuff going on in the other pics, like i said mine is perfect-all the way around and I am almost positive i was in the 700's order wise, before crash and recieved mine on the 6th

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    mines on ebay as we speak

going going gone

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Kudbegud had a picture up, but removed it.

maybe it can reappear?

<< <i>image

edited for white balance correction and rotation >>

>>

Oops! I had trouble with Photo Bucket and rearranged my albums.

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Question on the "issue" with the "SPRINGS":

are those things indentations into the coin or do they stick up from the coin's surface? >>

Indents, sorta like a die crack in reverse...a die extrusion?

• So what does this do to the value of the coin... ? curious here
  • sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 831 ✭✭✭
    The warpage could be a case of "buckling under pressure" from the edge lettering process. It would be interesting to accurately measure the diameter of the coin in those areas and compare the measurements with normal units.

<< <i>So what does this do to the value of the coin... ? curious here >>

dunno.

indentations would seemingly rule out die wear.

we gotta figure out what it is first.

• pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    mine >>

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • CiccioCiccio Posts: 1,405
    When I order my puck from the US Mint I added a 2-roll set of Kennedy halves in order to get the upgrade to overnight shipment.
    Of course, they shipped it when I was in Canada for work, so I didn't take any advantage from the upgrade! image
    I just got back home and found 2 boxes. One weighing 1 pound and the second weighing 1.4 pounds.
    Where is the Puck?! image
    latest intelligence says 1 pound box.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file