Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Updated 7/28/11 - MH & GC ON SALE NOW -- 27,000 Numismatic ATB 2010 5oz Pucks -- **Official Pre-

MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,434 ✭✭✭✭✭
Federal Register: April 18, 2011 (Volume 76, Number 74)
Notices
Page 21802
From the Federal Register Online via GPO Access wais.access.gpo.gov
DOCID:fr18ap11-127

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

DEPARTMENT OF THE TREASURY

United States Mint

Notice Announcing the Price of the 2010 America the Beautiful
Five Ounce Silver Uncirculated CoinsTM

ACTION: Notice.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

SUMMARY: The United States Mint is announcing the price of the 2010
America the Beautiful Five Ounce Silver Uncirculated
CoinsTM.
In accordance with 31 U.S.C. 5112(u) & 9701(b), the United States
Mint 2010 America the Beautiful Five Ounce Silver Uncirculated
CoinsTM will be priced at $279.95.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: B.B. Craig, Associate Director for
Sales and Marketing; United States Mint; 801 9th Street, NW.;
Washington, DC 20220; or call 202-354-7500.

Authority: 31 U.S.C. 5111, 5112, & 9701.

Dated: April 11, 2011.
Richard A. Peterson,
Acting Director, United States Mint.
FR Doc. 2011-9246 Filed 4-15-11; 8:45 am
BILLING CODE 4810-02-P

==================================================

An As Yet Unmentioned Storage Option for the 5oz Silver Coins -- Plus a Potential NT(?) Option

I talked with a mint sales person today who said someone brought in some silver 5oz coins looking for something to put them in.

He sold them:
Deluxe Blue Presentation Case for 3" Medal (022) $8.00

He said it was a perfect fit, but doesn't think they will fit the capsules and coin, just the coin fits in.

It's official.

Yellowstone is on the mint schedule for 5/17/2011. Prepare your ordering systems.

Numismatic News said the Mint Announced on May 4 that Yellowstone goes on sale May 17 >>

US Mint Catalog Page Link w/ Poor Picture

Ordering Limits:
A limit of one (1) coin per household is in effect for the first week of this product’s release. At the end of this period, the United States Mint will re-evaluate this limit and either extend, adjust or remove it.

Mintage Limits:
The 2010 America the Beautiful Five Ounce Silver Uncirculated Coin - Hot Springs National Park - is limited to a total of 27,000 coins.

Program Information:
These are special collector versions of those issued through the United States Mint America the Beautiful Silver Bullion Coin™ Program and are available in limited mintages -- so don't miss out!

These three inch, five-ounce, .999 fine silver bullion coins replicate each of the designs featured on the United States Mint America the Beautiful Quarters Program® Coins, which are authorized by Public Law 110-456. The United States Mint will issue 56 quarter-dollar coins featuring designs depicting national parks and other national sites as part of this program. Five America the Beautiful Five Ounce Silver Uncirculated Coins will be minted and released annually in the order in which the honored site was first established as a national site, with the final coin issued in 2021.

Purchasing Information:
If paying by credit card, please be sure your credit card information remains current to avoid any delays in processing your order. If your credit card expires by the time of shipment, your order will be cancelled. To update your credit card information after an order has been placed, you must call 1-800-USA-MINT (872-6468).

To ensure that all members of the public have fair and equal access to United States Mint products, any order placed prior to the official on-sale date and time of April 28, 2011, at 12:00 Noon (ET) shall not be deemed accepted by the United States Mint and will not be honored.

Pricing for Numismatic Hot Springs 5 oz. Silver Coin

The US Mint has provided pricing information on the upcoming Hot Springs 5 Ounce Silver Uncirculated Coin. This is the first of the numismatic or collector versions of the America the Beautiful Silver Bullion Coins.

The price is set at $279.95. The Mint cautions that as with all products containing precious metals, the price is subject to potential change.

Thanks to CaptHenway's Eagle eyes and post on page 15:

Here is [L=a PR from the Mint]
http://www.usmint.gov/pressroom/index.cfm?action=press_release&ID=1182">Updated News from Mint News Blog, Hot Springs Numis-puck out April 28th where they are mentioned

The maximum mintage for these collector versions is set at 135,000 units-27,000 units for each of the five 2010 coins.
The numismatic version will bear the "P" mint mark of the United States Mint at Philadelphia.
The numismatic coins are being produced under authority 31 U.S.C. §5111(a) (3), which provides the Secretary of the Treasury with broad authority to design, produce and sell numismatic items.

at the bottom of this NN article the finish is explained.

Collector versions will be sold directly to collectors by the Mint in the first quarter of 2011. Mintages for them will be similar at 27,000 for each design, but the Mint will set the issue price.
The numismatic versions will not be proof, but have a surface that is vapor blasted after they are struck.

This, the Mint said, is the same finish used on its 3-inch bronze medals.

It further explained that the machine “uses a water vapor and ceramic media mix. It is similar to sand blasting but instead of using dry compressed air, it uses a compressed wet vapor. The finish is applied to the coin after striking and not to the die. This will provide a consistent coin-to-coin finish.”

At the bottom of this NN article it says February

But a note to collectors. A numismatic version of the coins will be available in February.

a Pre-Poll Pre-Thread to ask about how the mint should release these.

All on one day, or on different days?

{Pre-Poll, II} AFTER the 2010 release, Should the Mint Make the NumisPucks a Subscription?

I'm not asking for the 2010 Numimatic Park 5oz coins

But for 2011 and on, should the mint set up the National Park 5oz Silver coins on a subscription service?
Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Comments

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This one will be fun to watch tooimage
  • Options
    gyromacgyromac Posts: 213 ✭✭
    i wonder if they plan on increasing the number of phone lines and get more dedicated server space....

this whole AP fiasco is just too much...but there are 9 outlets....

just imagine the funnel to one outlet they are creating

VIRTUAL WAITING ROOM.....take a lesson from the MLB ticket sales USM....

• Options
    DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭
    These will sell like hot cakes!
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    Maybe we should come up with some good recommendations for the mint on how to sell these. How about a presale the day before they go on sale to the public to mint customers for the past five years image
  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe we should come up with some good recommendations for the mint on how to sell these. How about a presale the day before they go on sale to the public to mint customers for the past five years image >>

I like this ideaimage I think it has been proven to work out great in IL!
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>i wonder if they plan on increasing the number of phone lines and get more dedicated server space....

this whole AP fiasco is just too much...but there are 9 outlets....

just imagine the funnel to one outlet they are creating

VIRTUAL WAITING ROOM.....take a lesson from the MLB ticket sales USM.... >>

Most of those 9 outlest were never set up to handle volume. At least the Mint is.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Maybe we should come up with some good recommendations for the mint on how to sell these. How about a presale the day before they go on sale to the public to mint customers for the past five years image >>

I like this ideaimage I think it has been proven to work out great in IL! >>

image We could let the Gold Center handle the sales.
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

Walmart. image
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    gyromacgyromac Posts: 213 ✭✭
    >>

Most of those 9 outlest were never set up to handle volume. At least the Mint is. >>

trust me....they are not set up for the avalanche that awaits when these go on sale....
  • Options
    With all previous items that were in high-demand, you would eventually be able to get through the Mint's clogged website and complete your order. It just took a bit of patience and persistence. I have a feeling that with these pucks, that won't be the case. You won't get through at all. The website will remain clogged even after they're all sold out. Completing an order with just one of the five pucks will be a tremendous victory, however shallow it may seem at the time.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,927 ✭✭✭✭
    Are these being sold as sets or individually? Anyone know?
  • Options
    spotthedogspotthedog Posts: 313 ✭✭✭
    How's about the mint just puts 'em all up on ebay? They could have seller names like "US Mint1" US Mint2, and so on. For each seller name, it could state "more than 10 available", at least when they start.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,684 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let me be the first to say..................... 2,000!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    And by the way, you need to call it the "Official Pre-Thread!"

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good God...2 puck threads.....Any predictions what a US Mint 5 puck set will cost? $1,125 - $1,200 range is my call.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    heavymetalheavymetal Posts: 573 ✭✭✭✭
    I want to order the 5 coin set just to have the postman ask me..." What the heck do you have in here?" HMimage
  • Options
    I like the............... "**LQQK!**"
    Adds a touch of class!
  • Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I like the............... "**LQQK!**"
    Adds a touch of class!
    image >>

MsM trying to lure the flippers away from the other thread. imageimage
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,601 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any idea when they go on sale? I get the idea that they will be a quick sell out.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    no word yet.

but we're free to speculate!

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Raufus reported in the other thread:
    "I was reading the front page Jan. 4-11 NN article "Public waits for 5 oz coins."

The final sentence of the article, on P.20 reads: "A numismatic version of the coins will be available in February." Feb. sounds good to me!! What a day it will be when they go on sale. What's the prediction for sell out time for those??"
  • Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Raufus reported in the other thread:
    "I was reading the front page Jan. 4-11 NN article "Public waits for 5 oz coins."

The final sentence of the article, on P.20 reads: "A numismatic version of the coins will be available in February." Feb. sounds good to me!! What a day it will be when they go on sale. What's the prediction for sell out time for those??" >>

Before one can utter the word PUCK. image
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options
    36 hours and their servers will be noticably busy the entire time.

• Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I like the............... "**LQQK!**"
    Adds a touch of class!
    image >>

imageimage

& thanks for the heads up MsM
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm just going to change the title of my thread to

<< <i>****The Official, Definitive, and Essential**** Everything to do with the America the Beautiful 5oz Coin Thread >>

I like it
  • Options

<< <i>I'm just going to change the title of my thread to

<< <i>****The Official, Definitive, and Essential**** Everything to do with the America the Beautiful 5oz Coin Thread >>

I like it >>

Yours should be: "The Bullion Pucks: Gouging, Cherrypicking, Lies and Backdoor Dealings"! image
  • Options
    How about an "Official Pucks 'R Us!" thread????

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm at work w/only a minute to reply...

Can someone also link the the recent CW article which called into question The Mint's authority to issue these? It is an important article. I made specific reference to it in the monster puck thread but don't have time to look now.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, has the Mint set the release date? no.

Has the Mint established the pricing? no.

Has the Mint told anyone whether there will be a HH limit? no.

Does anyone know what the rules for ordering a set will be? no.

Situation normal - full speed ahead!!!
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>So, has the Mint set the release date? no.

Has the Mint established the pricing? no.

Has the Mint told anyone whether there will be a HH limit? no.

Does anyone know what the rules for ordering a set will be? no.

Situation normal - full speed ahead!!! >>

Hey, they gave a whole six days heads up on the bullion hockey pucks. Why should the collector coins be any different???

TD
  • Options

<< <i>I'm at work w/only a minute to reply...

Can someone also link the the recent CW article which called into question The Mint's authority to issue these? It is an important article. I made specific reference to it in the monster puck thread but don't have time to look now. >>

It was the December 27 edition, page 68.

Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options
    Thanks!! Will it even be issued at all???
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks!! Will it even be issued at all??? >>

It's doubtful ... all those pucks will end up in the melting pot.image

Unless recent legislation changed the original law...

A) shall become available for sale no sooner than
    the first day of the calendar year in which the
    circulating quarter dollar of which such bullion coin is
    a duplicate is issued; and
    ``(B) may only be available for sale during the year
    in which such circulating quarter dollar is issued.

But are they considered bullion coins if they have a Mint Mark? With a Mint Mark, they are now a collectors version & can be issued I suppose.
  • Options
    Will it even be issued at all???

Somewhere in that mishmass of gobbldygook of promulgated garp, I believe that there is a reference which states that the Mint Director has some discretionary power to issue various varieties of the coins that get authorized.

Unfortunately, there is no current Mint Director (unless you count Moy, but he may be gone by now).

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>Will it even be issued at all???

Somewhere in that mishmass of gobbldygook of promulgated garp, I believe that there is a reference which states that the Mint Director has some discretionary power to issue various varieties of the coins that get authorized.

Unfortunately, there is no current Mint Director (unless you count Moy, but he may be gone by now). >>

True...but the alleged bullion must be magically converted to a numismatic coin with a Mint Mark in order for that to happen.

I suppose HSN will now entice the rest of their employees to sign up with the Mint and so will the "profiteer" dealers. Still a no win situation for J6P. Unfortunately, that's reality...If you don't learn to "play the game", you're left out in the cold.
  • Options
    The hockey pucks have been added to the Mint's product schedule, but the date is TBD. The important thing, though, is that the coins are listed individually, meaning they will be sold individually.

Mint's Product Schedule
  • Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The hockey pucks have been added to the Mint's product schedule, but the date is TBD. The important thing, though, is that the coins are listed individually, meaning they will be sold individually.

Mint's Product Schedule >>

Five wonderful days of trying to buy from the Mint.

Will they spread it out over 5 weeks, 5 months or 5 days?

• Options

<< <i>I'm at work w/only a minute to reply...

Can someone also link the the recent CW article which called into question The Mint's authority to issue these? It is an important article. I made specific reference to it in the monster puck thread but don't have time to look now. >>

the Mint's PR in the OP on page one has this:

The numismatic coins are being produced under authority 31 U.S.C. §5111(a) (3), which provides the Secretary of the Treasury with broad authority to design, produce and sell numismatic items.

• Options
    TCoinsTCoins Posts: 566 ✭✭
    I suppose Yellowstone and the Grand Canyon will be the first to sell out. Any ideas?
  • Options

<< <i>I suppose Yellowstone and the Grand Canyon will be the first to sell out. Any ideas? >>

I'm betting on Yellowstone and Mt. Hood selling first, followed by Yosemite, Grand Canyon and the Restroom.

....with selling prices of $229 ea. or $1145 for all five. After all of the price gouging talk, the mint probably won't charge craploads for these. But with the nicer finish and shiny presentation box they'll go for a nice premium.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options
    Gotta love wild speculation!
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice job Ms retreading the next foray into ATB' ism.

From a steadfast follower of this series!
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    I know I'm going for, in order, Yosemite, Yellowstone, and Mt. Hood--which, of course, will mean that the outhouse will end up being the key!
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>36 hours and their servers will be noticably busy the entire time. >>

Way off, I'm guessing based on the past less than 4 hours...GONE!! I wouldn't take a nap when these go on sale. That puts it at around 9 orders per second. The individual sales will likely slow things down a bit.
  • Options

<< <i>36 hours and their servers will be noticably busy the entire time. >>

image Maybe even 48 hours.
  • Options
    What makes any of you think that these will be offered on the same day?
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>What makes any of you think that these will be offered on the same day? >>

They may not, but regardless based on past sellouts on first time offerings I stik by my estimate. They did sellout 80,000 1/2 ounce spouse coins IIRC in 8 hours. These will be way cheaper, and the demand is a certainty.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I suppose Yellowstone and the Grand Canyon will be the first to sell out. Any ideas? >>

I'm betting on Yellowstone and Mt. Hood selling first, followed by Yosemite, Grand Canyon and the Restroom.

....with selling prices of $229 ea. or $1145 for all five. After all of the price gouging talk, the mint probably won't charge craploads for these. But with the nicer finish and shiny presentation box they'll go for a nice premium. >>

Having had a set of the BU's in hand, I was most impressed by the Grand Canyon coin. If I were to only get one of the collector coins, that would be my choice.
    HOWEVER, (and you knew there was a "BUT" coming, didn't you?) the big question at this time is how will they look after they are sandblasted? The intricate detail that makes the Grand Canyon coin look so cool may come out looking like mud. The river at the bottom of the canyon may become indistinguishable from the rocks around it.
    I await with worms in my mouth (baited breath) the official Mint publicity pictures.
    TD
  • Options

<< <i>What makes any of you think that these will be offered on the same day? >>

Selling them one a day for five days would require creative marketing skills.
    TD
  • Options
    If they all go on sale the same day, I'm going to order mine in reverse order of the perceived popularity. I will almost certainly get 3 out of 5 that way.image

I knew it would happen.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file