Home U.S. Coin Forum

Updated 7/28/11 - MH & GC ON SALE NOW -- 27,000 Numismatic ATB 2010 5oz Pucks -- **Official Pre-

Comments

• CiccioCiccio Posts: 1,405

<< <i>latest intelligence says 1 pound box. >>

I trust the "intellighenzia" of the forum!

I didn't follow this week's auctions on eBay. Is the "still sealed" box brings more money?
    I am not sure if I want to keep it or not. It's the only design the I like.
  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-P-5-oz-HOT-SPRINGS-AMERICA-BEAUTIFUL-ERROR-/200607872713?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item2eb52936c9#ht_500wt_922

That is what he is talking about. I just saw that this morning. Then, I get to work and pick up my second coin from the front desk and open it - what do ya know? Same thing. I have this "daisy chaining" going on as well.

Any input? >>

here is a great picture of it:

image >>

That is what can happen when the milling machine has errors and/or the engraving bit has issues. Remember that these are the only dies produced by the US Mint that are NOT hubbed. Each die is cut directly by computer-controlled milling/engraving machine. Been there, done that.
  • PapiPapi Posts: 1,189 ✭✭
    Should we expect to see all the 2010s to be the same price of $279? And what about 2011s?

Is there going to be no downward adjustment because of the cost of the blanks at the time of production?

How will the value of the 2010s be affected by future dates of lesser cost?

At $279 x 56 = $15624. image

How many can afford, or want to buy the complete set? image

Is this a smart investment? image

• << <i>Should we expect to see all the 2010s to be the same price of $279? And what about 2011s?

Is there going to be no downward adjustment because of the cost of the blanks at the time of production?

Is this a smart investment? image >>

I think it is a smart investment. However, selling the set as a whole might not be the eventual way to go. I would collect the whole set to enjoy the coins. If you are investing, I would collect the most poplular coins that will command a greater premium later on. ie. I think Yellowstone will always sell better than Hot Springs. Nothing against AK.
  • paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

<< <i>Should we expect to see all the 2010s to be the same price of $279? And what about 2011s?

Is this a smart investment? image >>

There are those that feel when the novelty of these pieces wears off, they will be valued strictly for their silver
    content. Others disagree. Who knows who is right? Only time will tell. That is why it is important for you to
    collect what you like, and not what others say you should collect. Either way, I do feel that the next 3 issues of
    Yellowstone, Yosemite & the Grand Canyon represent the 3 most popular parks and, as such, will have a much
    stronger collector base than the others. This is a very long program. Many of the parks will be fairly obscure. If
    silver stays high, I can certainly see some of the future issues having mintages much lower than the 2010s. So
    the future of this program will be tied to the price of silver. Remember, when these were conceived, silver was
    around $17, and when G Dubya signed the authorization bill, silver had dropped to $10. It's a perfect example of
    a "Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time" sort of thing. image

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
    Just got mine about an hour ago and this "P" Uncirculated Hot Springs looks Elegant and and the finish just superb! I just image it! image
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>Just got mine about an hour ago and this "P" Uncirculated Hot Springs looks Elegant and and the finish just superb! I just image it! image >>

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-P-5-oz-HOT-SPRINGS-AMERICA-BEAUTIFUL-ERROR-/200607872713?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item2eb52936c9#ht_500wt_922

That is what he is talking about. I just saw that this morning. Then, I get to work and pick up my second coin from the front desk and open it - what do ya know? Same thing. I have this "daisy chaining" going on as well.

Any input? >>

here is a great picture of it:

image >>

That is what can happen when the milling machine has errors and/or the engraving bit has issues. Remember that these are the only dies produced by the US Mint that are NOT hubbed. Each die is cut directly by computer-controlled milling/engraving machine. Been there, done that. >>

Well, it's an error made into the die and struck into the coin.

The next question is it worth anything extra.

I'm not sure how the error experts would feel. I personally don't find it an attractive error.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well, it's an error made into the die and struck into the coin.

I'm not sure how the error experts would feel. I personally don't find it an attractive error. >>

OR, maybe the question is -- are the error-free (better struck) coins worth anything extra?

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS

<< <i>

<< <i>Well, it's an error made into the die and struck into the coin.

I'm not sure how the error experts would feel. I personally don't find it an attractive error. >>

OR, maybe the question is -- are the error-free (better struck) coins worth anything extra? >>

Or a better chance of getting an SP70 image
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    that die is big enough the irregularities are easy to spot.

I wonder why that die wasn't cancelled and another one made. Do they cost that much to mill?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Well i guess i will find out on the grading of this "item" on Monday ... I will pass along the results here
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    I live in Iowa, the Iowa coin in the ATB program is the Effigy Mounds National Monument in NE Iowa. I'm probably in the 1% of the population of Iowa who knows Effigy Mounds is a federal monument. Oh yeah, we have the Herbert Hoover memorial in West Branch too, but I think that is a federal site. Other than that, Iowa ain't got nothing.

Here's the general idea and a lidar image of what EM monument preserves effigy mounds and is fascinating to visit.

imageimage

I've been there, done that and - I'm not sure how it's going to work on a coin. When you go to EM in Iowa, that's what it is. Mounds of earth. No GC, Yosemite or MH. Interesting, but unspectacular.

Fast forward to 2017, the release date for Effigy Mounds. What's the design for the IA Effigy Mounds going to look like? It would be best to see the Effigy Mound design now, not in a five coin preview of upcoming designs in 2016 to keep me interested in the ATB program.

As previously mentioned "seemed to be a good idea at the time", I agree and think the length of this program will be a neg, not a positive. I want to see what the EM ATB design is to be now, not six years from now.

I think the ATB program would be better off with 5, 10, 15 or 20 of the most spectacular national parks or sites regardless of location, instead of a grandiose, all encompassing, one from each state or territory, all of America scheme.

That's my humble opinion for today.

edit to add - of interest is the bird mound outline, the others are bears.

• << <i>I wonder why that die wasn't cancelled and another one made. Do they cost that much to mill? >>

I've examined four of these. One was perfect, no smearing around the letters. The other three had varying degrees of smearing. I have one here that only just barely exhibits it, and another which shows it clearly (see pics posted previously). But none of mine seem as prominent as some of the other pics posted here. Does anyone else notice this? If my eyes are telling me the truth, I don't understand how it can be the milling of the die (unless it was multiple dies with varying degrees of "smear"....???
    Anything new? Anybody else got theirs graded? image
  • Looks like MCM is sold out of the SP70 HS on ebay and their website. Also prices holding pretty well on the secondary HSP sales.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like MCM is sold out of the SP70 HS on ebay and their website. Also prices holding pretty well on the secondary HSP sales. >>

What were/are these bringing $$$wise? PCGS or NGC?
    theknowitalltroll;

• << <i>

<< <i>Looks like MCM is sold out of the SP70 HS on ebay and their website. Also prices holding pretty well on the secondary HSP sales. >>

What were/are these bringing $$$wise? PCGS or NGC? >>

I believe they were asking $649 for NGC SP70 ER on website, various auctions too all look to be closed. I don't see any SP69s either. Last SP69s went off around $500.00, ungraded holding around $400.00. Should be a flood of graded coins coming in the next few weeks though.
  • fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    Is this a smart investment?

Magic 8 ball says... See First Spouse gold.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i am not as qualified as most of by far but it could it be that the dies were just a little thicker at that spot since the coin shows a weakness in directly opposite side of springs

Maybe the trifurcated collar was loose, or got stretched and there wasn't enough metal available for the metal flow to be even at that point.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

<< <i>Is this a smart investment?

Magic 8 ball says... See First Spouse gold. >>

Same thing was said according to some when the UHR gold bullion first came out....that some dealers don't even want to touch it with a 10ft. pole. Now look at how much the UHR's cost. image So it could go either way ...the best thing is for you to collect what you like/love. image
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,986 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Same thing was said according to some when the UHR gold bullion first came out....that some dealers don't even want to touch it with a 10ft. pole. Now look at how much the UHR's cost. image So it could go either way ...the best thing is for you to collect what you like/love. image >>

Good observation, ccc2010. Comparing the 5 oz silver ATB coins to the first spouse coins doesn't make sense. The subject matter of the first spouse coins is far less interesting than our national parks and landmarks which lend themselves nicely to being portrayed on a large format coin. Also, the ATB coins are more affordable to the average collector than the first spouse coins.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

I sure like them a lot better than a bunch of old hags who are ugly. At least the parks are beautiful and I can afford them.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,986 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I sure like them a lot better than a bunch of old hags who are ugly. At least the parks are beautiful and I can afford them. >>

I think most collectors feel the same way.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• << <i> ...the best thing is for you to collect what you like/love. image >>

• CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I sure like them a lot better than a bunch of old hags who are ugly. At least the parks are beautiful and I can afford them. >>

Cut them a break guys. It is hard to look good on a coin...kind of like driver's license photos.image
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.

• << <i>

<< <i>

Same thing was said according to some when the UHR gold bullion first came out....that some dealers don't even want to touch it with a 10ft. pole. Now look at how much the UHR's cost. image So it could go either way ...the best thing is for you to collect what you like/love. image >>

Good observation, ccc2010. Comparing the 5 oz silver ATB coins to the first spouse coins doesn't make sense. The subject matter of the first spouse coins is far less interesting than our national parks and landmarks which lend themselves nicely to being portrayed on a large format coin. Also, the ATB coins are more affordable to the average collector than the first spouse coins. >>

I agree, first spouses are nothing like these, poor comparison. To each his own I suppose.
  • I hope ATB will do much better than First Lady gold. For, one thing, the number of presidents I know can be counted by ten fingers, Clinton and Bushes included. So, I only get the four liberty short set. ATB, on the other hand, shows some well-known parks, at least for the first few years. I hope this could keep a health collector base. Design is much better the FS, too. But, it will have hard time to compare to UHR, which has the classic design and is one year type.

<< <i>I hope ATB will do much better than First Lady gold. For, one thing, the number of presidents I know can be counted by ten fingers, Clinton and Bushes included. So, I only get the four liberty short set. ATB, on the other hand, shows some well-known parks, at least for the first few years. I hope this could keep a health collector base. Design is much better the FS, too. But, it will have hard time to compare to UHR, which has the classic design and is one year type. >>

The mention of the UHR is just purely on the basis of the attitude towards the said coin when it was first released...and how the attitude turned 360 a couple of years later. image Thanks PerryHall. For me personally I like the fact that this is the first time the US mint produced a Numismatic coin of this size,elegant finish with various national parks on its reverse... plus the fact that its .999 silver and only 27K produced in its inaugural year adds to its appeal for me. image
    the cost of the 5oz silver might help keep its collector base collecting.

let's hope.

if this thing dies, this year's mintage figures could seem quite plentiful.
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Folks-

Who's grading these?? I'm torn as to whether to send my three (all look fantastic) in for grading or not? The SP70s look to be doing well now. Of course, as we've seen the first ones graded tend to do far better than when the gates open and all of the graded ones roll in. What say you? The FS/ER deadline ticks away...
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭
    Five times the cost of an ASE. Probably about 400,000 collectors for the ASEs maybe. Just to get 1/5 of the collectors of the ASEs, than these will do well. It may depend on later year issues drawing in more collectors. Enormous cost collecting these of about $15K for total set though. Who knows. I don't think there will be collectors willing to pay for an entire set. Some issues will do well, some will not and could be well below the 27K for the Ps. The P versions will be minted to demand though and this series will be where the keys are made not the bullion versions. Something else that would help is if they end the program altogether because of lack of interest.
  • The ATB`s can also be collected in different groups. National Parks ,National forest, National parks that couples have visited, Lots of people buy National park passes and would think collecting the coins to the parks they have visited would be cool. These type sets might keep the program going and a lot of people have no idea these even exist at this point. Time will tell, buy what you like and can afford, thinking this is a sure money maker could backfire very easily with a drop in silver.
  • I probably missed it but will the 2011 mintages be more than 27,000?
  • carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭✭
    Possibly.

2011 and beyond are minted "to demand".

Who know what that will mean as these are released over the years.

Unpopular locations, price, economy should all factor into final mintage's of the P series.

Loves me some shiny!

• << <i>I probably missed it but will the 2011 mintages be more than 27,000? >>

As far as I know there have been no announcements of 2011 P mintage numbers....

"mintage to demand" was announced for the 2011 bullion pucks...

I would guess around 50k for the 2011 P's...only a guess but a sellout in two weeks is pretty good for a one per household limit. Take that limit off the 2011's and they are gone....
    Who's grading these?? I'm torn as to whether to send my three (all look fantastic) in for grading or not? The SP70s look to be doing well now. Of course, as we've seen the first ones graded tend to do far better than when the gates open and all of the graded ones roll in. What say you? The FS/ER deadline ticks away.

I am on the fence on whether I want to grade these. I surely don't have the $250 to have my 5 graded. Opened one box so far and found a small spot. These could have spotting issues like the ASEs. I was thinking open one box for my raw collection, keep two sealed for each of these 2010s. Then I would have to blindly send in the unopened boxes to PCGS to get the FS labeling. Sell the other two unopened boxes years later to see if any premium exists.

Cost of sending 5 in for PCGS FS grading(5 x $65) plus selling the 5 69s with fees($125) on ebay would be about $450.00 if I sell the 69s for $300 each. I could be out close to $450 if no 70s. Whereas buying a 70 at $279(original price from the mint)+$450(grading and ebay fees)=$729. Chances are I won't make a 70 with self grading. I made my 2PF70 and 4 MS70 Buch Gold Spouse. With these I don't think I will get those results.

MCM is selling the PCGS First Strike MS 70 SP for $679 which I think is a fair price without going through all the hassle of self grading, so just bought one.

What year would the Jackie Kennedy First Spouse Gold be released?.. You could hardly call her an "old hag".. image
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."

• << <i>Hi Folks-

Who's grading these?? I'm torn as to whether to send my three (all look fantastic) in for grading or not? The SP70s look to be doing well now. Of course, as we've seen the first ones graded tend to do far better than when the gates open and all of the graded ones roll in. What say you? The FS/ER deadline ticks away... >>

I'm not.

<< <i>

What year would the Jackie Kennedy First Spouse Gold be released?.. You could hardly call her an "old hag".. image >>

Jackie Kennedy - talk about an instant classic. Demand will be through the roof on that one.

~ Vince Lombardi

<< <i>

<< <i>

What year would the Jackie Kennedy First Spouse Gold be released?.. You could hardly call her an "old hag".. image >>

Jackie Kennedy - talk about an instant classic. Demand will be through the roof on that one. >>

No kidding.. but it's quite a few years down the road.. I just hope Gold isn't $10,000.00 an ounce by the time her coin is released.. hmm.. guess I better get a jar, super-glue the lid shut, cut a slot in it, and stuff a $1.00 into it each day..

• CharlieCCharlieC Posts: 189
    A few days ago I was on the MCM web site. Bought a few things and checked out.

Then went to the forum and noticed the initial posting on the HS SP70 on MCM. Went
    back to MCM and bought 1 SP70. The HS I bought from the mint will not go SP70.

Today I get a refund on the 2nd postage from MCM. Nice ! I have never had any
    reservations about what I will get from MCM. Never had any problems with MCM. Just
    about always find what I need at a good price in Moderns. Thank you John and MCM.

This forum rocks. The knowledge base here is unmatched. Have made some real nice
    buys based on information posted on this forum. Always learn something new.

Thank you.
    Charlie.

<< <i>

<< <i>

Jackie Kennedy - talk about an instant classic. Demand will be through the roof on that one. >>

will the generation that knows Jackie Kennedy be around to buy?
    Spouse Gold Set for 10 years just in proof $50K. Silver P Pucks set 10 years $16K. Both are expensive sets. The most I ever had in a set was 13K for the ASE NGC PF 70 Registry Set minus the 93 and 95 W in PF 69. At least these were 70s. My puck P set would likely be raw. A MS70 P Puck set could be conceivable at 35-40K.

My P finally arrived today. Looks perfect. At this time tomorrow it'll be at PCGS. Can't afford to put together an MS69 bullion set so will try for a 70 set in these. Like the finish better anyway. Then again, I've always preferred the uncs to the proofs.

~ Vince Lombardi

<< <i>My P finally arrived today. Looks perfect. At this time tomorrow it'll be at PCGS. Can't afford to put together an MS69 bullion set so will try for a 70 set in these. Like the finish better anyway. Then again, I've always preferred the uncs to the proofs. >>

Wait a sec.. since when are the Bullion (Mint > Authorized Purchasers > dealers > normal people).. versions specifically designated as "Proof" coins?.. I thought they were just intended to be a "Brilliant" finish, like any modern circulating coin, and SOME small percentage of them just happen to have PL surfaces (like some UHRs), and some smaller number of them just happen to have DMPL surfaces (like NO UHRs).. meanwhile, the "P" versions (Mint > normal people).. have a Matte or Satin finish.. someone show me where The Mint advertised the the Bullions as "Proofs".. "PL" and "DMPL" are third party grading services' designations for Bullions that have finishes deserving of those designations.. slabbed "P"s get an "SP" designation..

• 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    What year would the Jackie Kennedy First Spouse Gold be released?.. >>

it may be interesting to see what if anything the Mint does prior to the release of the Jackie FS gold. It is a Kennedy, too.

For now it's too far out for me to be concerned. About a dollar a day might do it, though, then again you may need $5 to get a proof and UNC.

sorry to get OTimage
  • What are your thoughts on the 2012 ATB's? Source: Coinupdate.com

Link
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...awful quiet out here with the Y'stones coming out tomorrow. Losing interest, or is it stealth-mode locked, loaded and ready...?
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file