Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

25th Anniversary ASE set

Comments

• Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Just a word of caution for those selling opened sets...The buyer expects a "perfect set of coins" and apparently will get upset if the set arrives to them with the coins out of the holes or otherwise rolling around...or will get upset if you don't screen each and every coin for them...

• Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    I'm kinda peeved, I got an email late Friday 11/11 that my order had shipped, no updates of course all weekend long and tracking numbers did not work. I check today an UPS has a date of 11/14 for the label being created, but no further shipping details- looks like the mint lied to me!
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a 3:38 order ship today...and a friend has a 4:30 order still backordered.

Does anyone know the latest order to ship today?
  • Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Notsure:

it's deliver by 10:30, not at 10:30, So they can come anytime before that, next time, you can expect them about the same time, as they have a schedule and route that would be about the same. >>

egger, you are right, it did say BY 10:30 (the facility is about 2 miles from my home). Due to my ability to sleep in (for once), I miswrote in my previous post (was still wiping the cobwebs out when I wrote it.....thank goodness for the dog being a little protective when people come up the stairs, or I'd have had to rearrange delivery, which would have killed me if I missed 'The Man').

<< <i>I'm kinda peeved, I got an email late Friday 11/11 that my order had shipped, no updates of course all weekend long and tracking numbers did not work. I check today an UPS has a date of 11/14 for the label being created, but no further shipping details- looks like the mint lied to me! >>

They told me mine would ship on the 14th, but it shipped on the 11th!
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    commacomma Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just a word of caution for those selling opened sets...The buyer expects a "perfect set of coins" and apparently will get upset if the set arrives to them with the coins out of the holes or otherwise rolling around...or will get upset if you don't screen each and every coin for them... >>

Are people on ebay getting upset if sealed sets in boxes have loose coins? Even though it's out of the seller's control?
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    I had one slider in the last box of 5 I sent.image
  • Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'd like to think that in twenty years collectors will be concerned with the coin and not the label. >>

Not so long as we continue to propagate the myth of "first strikes" and "early releases" and other nonsense. Think about it. The mint said it could not be sure all bullion coin in the sets were struck in San Francisco and PCGS promptly declared that they wouldn't holder them with the (s) as planned. Because they couldn't be "sure."

On the other hand, the mint emphatically stated that there was no order in which they sent out coins after being struck, yet the TPG's continue to label them for a fee (which for whatever reason, is MORE than the cost of grading.)

Something very similar happened with baseball cards, and it killed the hobby. >>

Very well stated, and the killing the card hobby should be taken very serious for us coin pushers. Unfortunately the writing is on the wall, we either change it or crash.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Received my Box O' 5 today. Ordered at 1410 EST 27 Oct.
    UPS guy said, "It must be ammo right?" "Yes sir", I replied.
    Now to grade or not to grade? To FS or not to FS? To spend more money to just receive 69's?
    Sometimes I wish I never got through.

EDIT: Or just sit on them and in 20 years sell, I'll be the only with an unopened Box O' 5.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Received my Box O' 5 today. Ordered at 1410 EST 27 Oct.
    Now to grade or not to grade? To FS or not to FS? To spend more money to just receive 69's?

EDIT: Or just sit on them and in 20 years sell, I'll be the only with an unopened Box O' 5. >>

Well I've seen 20 sets and my impressions were I was glad I didn't submit them blindly because I would have wasted a lot of money!! Nice stuff but not PCGS 70 material. Good luck if so submit blindly cause you and a lot of others are going to need it.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭

EDIT: Or just sit on them and in 20 years sell, I'll be the only with an unopened Box O' 5. >>

I sold my dads box of five today. Easy Money, no screwing around with grading and the market being flooded.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    RTSRTS Posts: 1,408

<< <i>Just a word of caution for those selling opened sets...The buyer expects a "perfect set of coins" and apparently will get upset if the set arrives to them with the coins out of the holes or otherwise rolling around...or will get upset if you don't screen each and every coin for them... >>

Just pack the coins themselves seperately from the box then no issue with coins becoming loose from their slots.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you open the box then why wouldn't you make sure that the contents are secure and free from movement upon reshippng? Kinda effen dumb to repeat the mint's carelessness.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options

<< <i>

If you open the box then why wouldn't you make sure that the contents are secure and free from movement upon reshippng? Kinda effen dumb to repeat the mint's carelessness. >>

Maybe the Mint may have some openings in Quality Control. I think we have some worthy candidates here. image
    Green neophyte
  • Options
    <<Well I've seen 20 sets and my impressions were I was glad I didn't submit them blindly because I would have wasted a lot of money!! Nice stuff but not PCGS 70 material. Good luck if so submit blindly cause you and a lot of others are going to need it. >>

The chances of a complete 70 set out of a Box O' 5 is slim, very slim, Jay Jay Walker slim.
    Would my chances increase if I went with the REGULAR, EXPRESS or WALKTHROUGH versus the MODERN service?
    More spent on fee's looser standards?
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I sold my dads box of five today. Easy Money, no screwing around with grading and the market being flooded. >>

True dat
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm kinda peeved, I got an email late Friday 11/11 that my order had shipped, no updates of course all weekend long and tracking numbers did not work. I check today an UPS has a date of 11/14 for the label being created, but no further shipping details- looks like the mint lied to me! >>

See my post above and relax.

• Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

And you know this how? Did someone return a set you sold.

By the way. I put in my listing that I added extra filling inside the box to keep from that happening. When I shipped, I added some foam to keep the coins in their holes.
  • Options

<< <i>I'd like to think that in twenty years collectors will be concerned with the coin and not the label. >>

I think the only time when the label is important is for these anniversary sets. That provides assurance that the coins you are buying were from the sets sold from the mint.
    Green neophyte
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I sold my dads box of five today. Easy Money, no screwing around with grading and the market being flooded. >>

Very good move!!
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The OGP is SO fantastic with these sets that I think it's a shame to grade them.

That said, I would like to have the RP and the 11S in 70. Besides those two coins, I could care less about having any of the others graded.

Between the 10 sets that I've had access to, I think that I have at least one RP (likely 2 or 3) and one 11S which will make 70. They're headed to our host tomorrow.

The other two cherry-picked sets are staying raw in the fantastic OGP. This set just looks so nice as issued!
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    The gold standard!! The prize that a lot desire. I don't know if it will sell at $9K. Maybe should offer 9 interest-free, easy payments.

First strike 70 set in hand!
    Green neophyte
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

If you open the box then why wouldn't you make sure that the contents are secure and free from movement upon reshippng? Kinda effen dumb to repeat the mint's carelessness. >>

Maybe the Mint may have some openings in Quality Control. I think we have some worthy candidates here. image >>

Coins popping out of their containers and capsules during transport [and this being due to sloppy packaging] has been an off and on problem for a number of years dating back to the 2006 20th Anniv set and some of the SF Old Mint commem coins.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Maybe the Mint may have some openings in Quality Control. I think we have some worthy candidates here. image >>

Coins popping out of their containers and capsules during transport [and this being due to sloppy packaging] has been an off and on problem for a number of years dating back to the 2006 20th Anniv set and some of the SF Old Mint commem coins. >>

I would be willing to pay more than $4.95 for shipping if the Mint used better packing (no folded paper bags), special made box, and better tape, possibly taper-resistant tape. There is a definite disconnect in their approach to shipping items. To make a beautiful set and to have shipped the way they do is not showing a lot of concern and interest to their customers.
    Green neophyte
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The gold standard!! The prize that a lot desire. I don't know if it will sell at $9K. Maybe should offer 9 interest-free, easy payments.

First strike 70 set in hand! >>

I would rather own the set with a regular First Strike label.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The gold standard!! The prize that a lot desire. I don't know if it will sell at $9K. Maybe should offer 9 interest-free, easy payments.

First strike 70 set in hand! >>

I would rather own the set with a regular First Strike label. >>

I agree.
    Green neophyte
  • Options
    bumanchubumanchu Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭

I kinda liked the third option of First Strikes with the other special label!
    And I ain't lying this time.
  • Options
    I'm wondering, since my order was cancelled and I have more than one 2006 20th anniversary set if a trade would even be a consideration to someone who missed that set?image
  • Options

<< <i>I'm wondering, since my order was cancelled and I have more than one 2006 20th anniversary set if a trade would even be a consideration to someone who missed that set?image[/q hit the BST, probably alot of interest if they missed out on that...I wish I had kept mine back then.
    "I'm dropping my standards so that I can buy more"
  • Options
    Heck yes there would be interest, you should do it. It might work out to more of a 2 to 1 swap right now, but the 06's are creeping up again.
  • Options
    I had quite a few loose coins in my box from the Mint. I decided to go ahead and open it up. All of the loose ones were thankfully in their holders. But a pronounced rim ding on one of my 2011-S really has me depressed. Nothing I can really do with it.
  • Options
    Thanks for the encouragement! I posted on BST.image
  • Options
    Thanks for the encouragement. I'll hold my breath!image
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    This box looks like the UPS guy was having a bad day.

5-set box
  • Options
    vanwagvanwag Posts: 11 ✭✭
    Here's my box. I was wondering if the damage would hurt the Ebay auction value, although it not as bad as the above post. There are also some rattling sounds going on inside. Should I just open it up and sell them separately? Opinions appreciated!

• Options
    Yep..thats a AU58 box for sure, but it still has that old grocery bag eye appeal.
  • Options
    vanwagvanwag Posts: 11 ✭✭
    Hahaha! If my box is AU58, then the box in Dragon's post is XF-45 with rim damage.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    No submissions for me. Selling these unopened. I wonder if any of these will be at the Baltimore Show because I want to examine the MS 70 S Bullion versions.
  • Options
    Confirmed, ASE's do escape from their form fitting capsules.
    The Unc W example was unharmed. I was a bit suprised, exactly as I received it.

• Options
    It seems like 3 coin sets without the S and reverse are going for $175, the S is going for about $325 and the reverse proof about $400 or all in all you can fetch about $900 per set by breaking them up into 3 pieces. Take out the 2 best of everything and submit them to ngc or pcgs and go for a 70 set. If you get a 70 set sell it for $3000 and if the other set is a 69 sell it for $1000 and sell your 3 broken up sets for $900 each which all in and all nets you $6700 minus grading and ebay fees. This just might be the start of escalating crazy prices.
  • Options
    Okay, I just got my in hand. And I checked the credit card and the mint still hasn't charged me. Tell me this isn't a government operation.
    "I'll believe it's a crisis when the people who keep telling me it's a crisis start acting like it's a crisis." Glenn Reynolds
  • Options

<< <i>Okay, I just got my in hand. And I checked the credit card and the mint still hasn't charged me. Tell me this isn't a government operation. >>

I had mine for 2 days before I was charged.
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No submissions for me. Selling these unopened. I wonder if any of these will be at the Baltimore Show because I want to examine the MS 70 S Bullion versions. >>

What are the expections for grading 25 Anniv sets ? not many 70s ?
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>My order #383283xx was just cancled, ordered around 1:30 I suppose. I guess someone on the wait list is going to be getting their sets now image >>

They can't do that to the guy that started this thread.image >>

It was on hold due to a credit card issue. I called and tried to resolve it but they cancled it after the update. The weird thing is my credit card had a $1504 authorization.
  • Options
    Check your in process orders,my 38368XXX and 38376XXX orders just went instock.Laters
  • Options

<< <i>Check your in process orders,my 38368XXX and 38376XXX orders just went instock.Laters >>

I would think the first order# will ship today. My order# 38363xxx changed to shipped early yesterday morning. I hope you get good news today!
    Green neophyte
  • Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>My order #383283xx was just cancled, ordered around 1:30 I suppose. I guess someone on the wait list is going to be getting their sets now image >>

They can't do that to the guy that started this thread.image >>

It was on hold due to a credit card issue. I called and tried to resolve it but they cancled it after the update. The weird thing is my credit card had a $1504 authorization. >>

I think you needed $1504.99, that would be crazy for .99!
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ditto...4:30 order now in stock!

I have a close friend (who's very worried) with a 6:00 backorder...please let me know if any post 6:00 PM order moves to in stock status and I'll let him know.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << Check your in process orders,my 38368XXX and 38376XXX orders just went instock.Laters >>

Mine just went into "In Stock & Reserved" status within the past hour, order#38377xxx.

Is the "First Strike" cutoff Dec 10th?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is the "First Strike" cutoff Dec 10th? >>

12/7
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    CoinMeisterCoinMeister Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i><< Check your in process orders,my 38368XXX and 38376XXX orders just went instock.Laters >>

Mine just went into "In Stock & Reserved" status within the past hour, order#38377xxx.

Is the "First Strike" cutoff Dec 10th? >>

First Strike cutoff date: December 7, 2011
    "What we are never changes, but who we are ... never stops changing."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file