Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

25th Anniversary ASE set

Comments

• Options
    Once the sports card a widget sellers have flipped their booty (soon) the supply of these will diminish greatly. I still say the beat thing for this set is the number of open sets on the market....Full graded sets will be golden..even the 69's will rock!
  • Options
    commacomma Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Once the sports card a widget sellers have flipped their booty (soon) the supply of these will diminish greatly. I still say the beat thing for this set is the number of open sets on the market....Full graded sets will be golden..even the 69's will rock! >>

Will the demand diminish though?
  • Options
    What should I do? I have changed my mind a million times today.

The UPS guy this morning asked what was in my box. It seemed he had a few of these boxes in his truck.
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The gold standard!! The prize that a lot desire. I don't know if it will sell at $9K. Maybe should offer 9 interest-free, easy payments.

First strike 70 set in hand! >>

That is so freaking cool looking (definitely NOT $9K cool though!). >>

Looks like the sellers having some sort of sale, the price was lowered...
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Before you sell you might want to read this thread, pretty interesting oh yeah 999 Enjoy imagelink nice find YoYoSpin
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options

<< <i>What should I do? I have changed my mind a million times today.

The UPS guy this morning asked what was in my box. It seemed he had a few of these boxes in his truck. >>

I'd wait until we hear more about the possibly burnished finish on the bullion coin in these sets. That could be a game changer.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I see MCM has posted prices for sets on their site -

OGP - $949
    NGC 69s - $1249
    NGC 70s - $2995 >>

Selling the NGC 70 sets at 2995.00 when they just sold one on Ebay for 3800.00 the other day? I wonder if they have bid prices posted anywhere? I also just noticed that APMEX removed their buy price of 425.00 for the 25th sets image I guess they were not able to rip too many off the uninformed at that price. >>

It's especially odd given Chattanooga'a pricing: $975 for NGC 69s and $3975 for NGC 70s. MCM must know something we don't about NGC 70s. Maybe they're really high pops?
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The gold standard!! The prize that a lot desire. I don't know if it will sell at $9K. Maybe should offer 9 interest-free, easy payments.

First strike 70 set in hand! >>

That is so freaking cool looking (definitely NOT $9K cool though!). >>

Price has now been revised lower to $6299.

My cool-o-meter is indicating 'still not cool enough for that price'.

But it's definately getting cooler!
  • Options

<< <i>

The UPS guy this morning asked what was in my box. It seemed he had a few of these boxes in his truck. >>

I'd wait until we hear more about the possibly burnished finish on the bullion coin in these sets. That could be a game changer. >>

This is the first I've heard of this....rumor? Can you link to where you came across this info?
  • Options
    scotty1419scotty1419 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭
    Just sold a box of 5 on the bay for $4k+. In doing the diligence on my seller, I realized that he is a power media mogul in the adult entertainment industry who likes high-end modern gold. LOL

There are collectors everywhere!

All your purchases of those Girls Gone Wild tapes are paying for my sets image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I'd wait until we hear more about the possibly burnished finish on the bullion coin in these sets. That could be a game changer. >>

This is the first I've heard of this....rumor? Can you link to where you came across this info? >>

Link
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options
    BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    Ok, I hadn't thought about this but I just looked at my "open" set and I definitely have 2 proofs and 3 burnished coins.
    S-no s-and W

Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,377 ✭✭✭✭✭
    4:20 order in stock and reserved, cancel box removed.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    I find it interesting that a major dealer/marketmaker for these 25th sets is advertising they have them "in stock" on their website priced at $2995.00 for an NGC 70 set, yet are still listing the same sets on Ebay for $3795.00

NGC 70 Set
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So....now...we're basically saying that the most "common" Unc. coin in the set is actually a distinct burnished subtype/error?

And how did this take a week to notice?

And are they all the same in all the sets...are are some un-burnished?
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>I see MCM has posted prices for sets on their site -

OGP - $949
    NGC 69s - $1249
    NGC 70s - $2995 >>

Selling the NGC 70 sets at 2995.00 when they just sold one on Ebay for 3800.00 the other day? I wonder if they have bid prices posted anywhere? I also just noticed that APMEX removed their buy price of 425.00 for the 25th sets image I guess they were not able to rip too many off the uninformed at that price. >>

It's especially odd given Chattanooga'a pricing: $975 for NGC 69s and $3975 for NGC 70s. MCM must know something we don't about NGC 70s. Maybe they're really high pops? >>

MCM raised prices after starting low on the 2006 sets

The NGC 70 set is underpriced-at 3000.00 coin club just brought 8 sets -
  • Options

<< <i>So....now...we're basically saying that the most "common" Unc. coin in the set is actually a distinct burnished subtype/error?

And how did this take a week to notice?

And are they all the same in all the sets...are are some un-burnished? >>

My thoughts too. Is anyone noticing a "regular" unburnished bullion coin in their sets? The plot would sure thicken if there were multiple varieties going on here.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options
    RockdogzRockdogz Posts: 145 ✭✭✭
    Someone hit the buy it now on my 'bay eagle set...$850 And then I realized they have zero feedback. I thought my listing screened out unproven buyers but it turns out that it only limits those who have received 2 Unpaid item Strike(s) within 1 month(s) and have a feedback score equal to or lower than -1.

They have already paid via paypal - return address looks like a UPS store in L.A.

Would you be nervous about this deal?
  • Options

<< <i>Someone hit the buy it now on my 'bay eagle set...$850 And then I realized they have zero feedback. I thought my listing screened out unproven buyers but it turns out that it only limits those who have received 2 Unpaid item Strike(s) within 1 month(s) and have a feedback score equal to or lower than -1.

They have already paid via paypal - return address looks like a UPS store in L.A.

Would you be nervous about this deal? >>

Maybe the UPS store in LA part...
  • Options

<< <i>Someone hit the buy it now on my 'bay eagle set...$850 And then I realized they have zero feedback. I thought my listing screened out unproven buyers but it turns out that it only limits those who have received 2 Unpaid item Strike(s) within 1 month(s) and have a feedback score equal to or lower than -1.

Is it a PayPal approved bank account? I assume it is, not sure how scams like this work though...
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

yes.
    I hope it all works out however.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    When does PCGS charge your card when you send them a submission?

-Paul
  • Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very.
  • Options

<< <i>When does PCGS charge your card when you send them a submission?

-Paul >>

They charged mine like a day after they received the submission.
  • Options

<< <i>

Is it a PayPal approved bank account? I assume it is, not sure how scams like this work though... >>

This is why I never do auctions on ebay and always BIN with best offer so I at least have some means of screening..
  • Options
    New Member,
    I appreciate all the info. I have a few coins and now today received my box of five sets of the 25th ASE. Box came in good shape with no rattles. Email time was 3:41 back on 10/27... took a while, i got lucky.

I am in no rush to open or send to be graded at this point. Still trying to decide and find a level of trust with the graders. I see the HSN video and wonder how they get away with the "sold out in an hour" crap. All your comments and input on the various topics are very interesting. Just want to say thanks as I continue my learning curve.

My mint date is 11/12/11 so as long as I keep it sealed I should be able to maintain my options? Correct?image
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>When does PCGS charge your card when you send them a submission?

-Paul >>

They charged mine like a day after they received the submission. >>

Ok. Looks like I'm gonna be poor for a while. image

-Paul
  • Options

<< <i>New Member,
    I appreciate all the info. I have a few coins and now today received my box of five sets of the 25th ASE. Box came in good shape with no rattles. Email time was 3:41 back on 10/27... took a while, i got lucky.

I am in no rush to open or send to be graded at this point. Still trying to decide and find a level of trust with the graders. I see the HSN video and wonder how they get away with the "sold out in an hour" crap. All your comments and input on the various topics are very interesting. Just want to say thanks as I continue my learning curve.

My mint date is 11/12/11 so as long as I keep it sealed I should be able to maintain my options? Correct?image >>

Correct... and Welcome!

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    < Someone hit the buy it now on my 'bay eagle set...$850 And then I realized they have zero feedback. I thought my listing screened out unproven buyers but it turns out that it only limits those who have received 2 Unpaid item Strike(s) within 1 month(s) and have a feedback score equal to or lower than -1.

You can eliminate your buyers or bidders to a feedback score below 5.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    Unopened sets are selling a t$ 4K. $5K-$6K is not unrealistic for unopened boxes of 5.
  • Options

<< <i>< Someone hit the buy it now on my 'bay eagle set...$850 And then I realized they have zero feedback. I thought my listing screened out unproven buyers but it turns out that it only limits those who have received 2 Unpaid item Strike(s) within 1 month(s) and have a feedback score equal to or lower than -1.

You can eliminate your buyers or bidders to a feedback score below 5. >>

Not that I've ever seen. You can block bidders with a -2 feedback and down. That's it as far as I know.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You can eliminate your buyers or bidders to a feedback score below 5. >>

>>

Only if you watch who's bidding like a hawk. That's not a parameter available by eBay. You'd have to cancel the bid manually & add them to your "bad boy" list so that they can't bid again.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Is it a PayPal approved bank account? I assume it is, not sure how scams like this work though... >>

This is why I never do auctions on ebay and always BIN with best offer so I at least have some means of screening.. >>

Huh?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

This is why I never do auctions on ebay and always BIN with best offer so I at least have some means of screening.. >>

Huh? >>

I dont do auctions, I do buy it now listings and allow best offers. That way when someone makes an offer you can check their feedback/profile before accepting a sale.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was fast ... 25% price drop in 2 days on the NGC-MS70 set...

Item number: 200675699011

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    aclocoacloco Posts: 952 ✭✭✭
    Looks like 1/3 of my question has been answered.

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=836602&STARTPAGE=1

Looks like there is a THIRD special coin in the set.
    Successful BST transactions with: jp84, WaterSport, Stupid, tychojoe, Swampboy, dragon, Jkramer, savoyspecial, ajaan, tyedye, ProofCollection, Broadstruck x2, TwinTurbo, lordmarcovan, devious, bumanchu, AUandAG, Collectorcoins (2x), staircoins, messydesk, illini420, nolawyer (10x & counting), peaceman, bruggs, agentjim007, ElmerFusterpuck, WinLoseWin, RR, WaterSports, KeyLargRareCoins, LindeDad, Flatwoods, cucamongacoin, grote15, UtahCoin, NewParadigm, smokincoin, sawyerjosh x3
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That was fast ... 25% price drop in 2 days on the NGC-MS70 set...

Wondercoin >>

The first people, who always pay moon money for the first graded sets are just nuts.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>< Someone hit the buy it now on my 'bay eagle set...$850 And then I realized they have zero feedback. I thought my listing screened out unproven buyers but it turns out that it only limits those who have received 2 Unpaid item Strike(s) within 1 month(s) and have a feedback score equal to or lower than -1.

>>

Paypal details page is the law on seller protection. Make sure page says seller protection and OK to ship. Ship to address on that page with sig. confirmation and paypal will eat any loss.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
    I just took delivery of my first of two boxes @ 5:41 p.m. today and was surprised by how big the shipping box was from the mint. I had read that a lot of collectors were receiving capsules out of their holders and coins out of their capsules so I did the test by moving the box lengthwise back and forth to hear anything suspicious and sure enough as I type this I heard it. What to do, what to do. I decided to open the box and see if there were any damaged coins, and when I did I discovered 4 out of the 5 coins out of their slots. The only one that was in its slot was the RP. Thankfully none of the coins were out of their capsules so I just placed them back in their slots where they belonged. So no damaged coins is the good news, and an open box being the bad news. Oh well I have 1 more box of 1 set coming so I guess I'll leave that one unopened maybe.
    Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    Instead of offering overnight shipping at a discount rate of $4.95 for orders over $300, the mint ought to charge $24.95 for overnight shipping -

AND SPEND THE EXTRA $20 ON PACKAGING THAT IS TESTED AND PROVEN BY TRIAL SHIPPING THE CONFIGURATION TO VARIOUS ADDRESSES THAT IT WORKS 99.99% OF THE TIME.

Unbelievable the number of complaints about packaging on this forum regarding these sets. Total BS.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Instead of offering overnight shipping at a discount rate of $4.95 for orders over $300, the mint ought to charge $24.95 for overnight shipping -

AND SPEND THE EXTRA $20 ON PACKAGING THAT IS TESTED AND PROVEN BY TRIAL SHIPPING THE CONFIGURATION TO VARIOUS ADDRESSES THAT IT WORKS 99.99% OF THE TIME.

Unbelievable the number of complaints about packaging on this forum regarding these sets. Total BS. >>

Mine had no issues....I didn't have any dings/holes in the box. The tape was perfect. I couldn't hear any rattling........must just be the carriers at each place image
    (seriously though, while mine didn't have issues, I wish you guys didn't either)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Instead of offering overnight shipping at a discount rate of $4.95 for orders over $300, the mint ought to charge $24.95 for overnight shipping -

Unbelievable the number of complaints about packaging on this forum regarding these sets. Total BS. >>

Mine had no issues....I didn't have any dings/holes in the box. The tape was perfect. I couldn't hear any rattling........must just be the carriers at each place image
    (seriously though, while mine didn't have issues, I wish you guys didn't either) >>

My package was MS69+ image
  • Options
    In such a thinly capitalized BLACK BOX market, initial price swing is EXPECTED to be even wilder than the first day trading of a hot IPO. No surprise here.
    To the free man, the country is the collection of individuals who compose it, not something over and above them. -M. Friedman
  • Options

AND SPEND THE EXTRA $20 ON PACKAGING THAT IS TESTED AND PROVEN BY TRIAL SHIPPING THE CONFIGURATION TO VARIOUS ADDRESSES THAT IT WORKS 99.99% OF THE TIME. >>

Sorry, that's not how government works. Consider the Patent & Trademark Office: everyone applying for a patent pays user fees which supposedly fund the PTO. The reality is that since the Clinton Administration at least part of these fees have been reprogrammed by the Executive Branch for uses elsewhere, thus keeping the PTO from hiring enough staff to keep up with the workload. Bizarrely, the PTO staff is still compelled to interview prospective employees but it frankly tells them of this situation and apologizes - at the start of the interview - for wasting their time!

With a government like this, can one really doubt that the government will take that extra $20 and simply pocket our money with no improvement in service?
    Salute the automobile: The greatest anti-pollution device in human history!
    (Just think of city streets clogged with a hundred thousand horses each generating 15 lbs of manure every day...)
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That was fast ... 25% price drop in 2 days on the NGC-MS70 set...

Wondercoin >>

\

Why are the PCGS 70s slow to show up
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

I'll bet their warehouse is stacked up high with all these coins. These things take up a lot of room the way they are packaged. Another stupid

idea to make the boxes so big. They had plenty of time to order the correct size boxes for these things. The box makers will make you any size

you request.
  • Options
    LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    I order boxes all the time, stock boxes are a lot cheaper than custom boxes.
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

I used to order boxes when I worked in a bookbindery so I know they cost a little more but when you are ordering such a large amount it

really does not amount to that much. Your savings in extra packaging and handling expenses alone would make up for this. The mint just

needs someone in charge of doing these things. I't not rocket science. If the boxes fit there would be a lot less damage to the coins also.
  • Options
    PCGS 70 BIN $4,000?

I think that price is very reasonable! Compared to what the NGC's are going for!
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>PCGS 70 BIN $4,000?

I think that price is very reasonable! Compared to what the NGC's are going for! >>

And the pipe dreams of newbies hoping to sell their soon to be 70 sets for 5-8k go up in smokeimage I don't like the Black and white label. For the big bucks you pay for the FS and grading you'd think you'd get a little color! Blahhh

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file