Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

25th Anniversary ASE set

Comments

• Options
    commacomma Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    These things are causing so much problems...I have 2 boxes (one my dads, another a friends) and they gave them to me to sell for them since I didn't get a box. After deciding how/who to sell them, they now want to go the ebay route and "that's that". So now I have to step on people's feet for no reason...just want these out of my hands and in this in the past! Sorry for the rant...haha
  • Options
    fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭

<< <i>For those who got the boxes shipped via USPS the boxes are not marked with a date meaning that they are not eligible for First Strike after the 30days >>

if PCGS receives them before 12/7, that shouldn't be an issue.

i'm still hopefull i'll receive mine before that!
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>For those who got the boxes shipped via USPS the boxes are not marked with a date meaning that they are not eligible for First Strike after the 30days >>

if PCGS receives them before 12/7, that shouldn't be an issue.

i'm still hopefull i'll receive mine before that! >>

Mint order sheet inside the box has the date on it.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>These things are causing so much problems...I have 2 boxes (one my dads, another a friends) and they gave them to me to sell for them since I didn't get a box. After deciding how/who to sell them, they now want to go the ebay route and "that's that". So now I have to step on people's feet for no reason...just want these out of my hands and in this in the past! Sorry for the rant...haha >>

Be sure to add 10% to the price if you go the ebay route.
  • Options

<< <i>These things are causing so much problems...I have 2 boxes (one my dads, another a friends) and they gave them to me to sell for them since I didn't get a box. After deciding how/who to sell them, they now want to go the ebay route and "that's that". So now I have to step on people's feet for no reason...just want these out of my hands and in this in the past! Sorry for the rant...haha >>

I see you no longer have the sets on the BST. I hope by "stepping on people's feet" you are not saying that you will not honor BST commitments that you made. Say it ain't so!

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options

<< <i>

Be sure to add 10% to the price if you go the ebay route. >>

Ya, I know. Between ebay and paypal and shipping it doesnt work out to quite 10%, but it's up there.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>The shipping info inside would confirm the date...it's located top right corner of the slip >>

Couldnt they also use the tracking info ? >>

Probably..but that would take more effort than just opening up the box image >>

Print R out NOW and tape R to da box.image
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

Man this ASE 25th set just ain't going too well for ya so far.

Tell your buyers sorry, deals off, out of my control and go tell Dad + friend to have at it and go sell their boxes on ebay themselves, bad karma for Dad + friend to change their minds on how you should sell their boxes after you made the deals they initially requested you do.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Does not look like a massive seller could this be the results of five sets? If so, that is a high % of 70's!!!!! 3 set's of 70's 1 set of 69's and the set they saved for themselves.

70 BIN for $4,000]

The cert number spread on the one set is 28 so likely more than 5 sets. >>

Had to be at least 100 sets submitted to get that PCGS label.

Edited: I meant 100 COINS. >>

I believe one can get the bulk submission label with only a five set submission, according to this:

Dear Collector Club Member:

The arrival of the highly anticipated, limited edition 25th Anniversary Silver Eagle 5 Piece Set from the United States Mint is right around the corner. What a better way to commemorate such a stunning addition to your coin collection than to have them graded and encapsulated in a PCGS holder! We have two options for you when it comes to getting your coins into a holder.

The first option is the “Ultimate Bulk Package.” For a minimum of five (5) sets: you can receive each of your coins numerically graded by PCGS. The insert is specially designed to showcase an autograph by the 12th Chief Engraver of the US Mint and designer of the reverse of the Silver Eagle, John M. Mercanti. An autographed letter from Mr. Mercanti congratulating you on your historic set, will also be included. Each coin will also be eligible to receive First Strike® designation. All of this can be yours for $250.00 per set.

The second option is a new insert specifically developed for the 25th Anniversary of the Silver Eagle.

For a minimum of five (5) sets: You can receive each of your coins numerically graded by PCGS. Each coin will also be eligible to receive First Strike® designation. This option is available to you for only $200.00 per set.

Simply send in your US Mint sealed boxes to receive either of these special offers on your PCGS Submission Form, request which insert you would prefer and all coins will be placed into a tamper-evident holder. The coins must come sealed in order to receive both the “First Strike” and the “25th Anniversary Set” designation. Feel free to contact myself or our Bulk Staff should you have any further questions regarding the grading of this set. We are at your service and look forward to hearing from you!
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options

<< <i>

Tell your buyers sorry, deals off, out of my control and go tell Dad + friend to have at it and go sell their boxes on ebay themselves, bad karma for Dad + friend to change their minds on how you should sell their boxes after you made the deals they initially requested you do. >>

ugh, I know. I hate having to deal with this on top of not getting any myself...
    that's life I guess.
  • Options

<< <i>

Tell your buyers sorry, deals off, out of my control and go tell Dad + friend to have at it and go sell their boxes on ebay themselves, bad karma for Dad + friend to change their minds on how you should sell their boxes after you made the deals they initially requested you do. >>

If you made the deals, you should honor the deals. One who breaks deals because a better deal comes along will soon find themselves getting no deals. Did you break a BST commitment to sell these sets?

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    RockdogzRockdogz Posts: 145 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ya, I know. Between ebay and paypal and shipping it doesnt work out to quite 10%, but it's up there. >>

I must be doing it wrong because it's > 10% for me.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Ya, I know. Between ebay and paypal and shipping it doesnt work out to quite 10%, but it's up there. >>

I must be doing it wrong because it's > 10% for me. >>

If you sell something auction its 9% of the total with a maximum of $100.
    So you can't pay more than $100. BIN is a little different.

link
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

If you made the deals, you should honor the deals. One who breaks deals because a better deal comes along will soon find themselves getting no deals. Did you break a BST commitment to sell these sets? >>

Did you break a BST deal on the ASE sets that you had "in hand?"
    I was contemplating your other items listed there but can't proceed until I know.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

If you made the deals, you should honor the deals. One who breaks deals because a better deal comes along will soon find themselves getting no deals. Did you break a BST commitment to sell these sets? >>

Did you break a BST deal on the ASE sets? >>

NO. Before the deal was followed through I explained the situation to who I was dealing with. It's a long story and I don't need to explain it here or defend myself. It was out of my control. I am selling these for other people.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

NO. Before the deal was followed through I explained the situation to who I was dealing with. It's a long story and I don't need to explain it here or defend myself. It was out of my control. I am selling these for other people. >>

Does not "followed through" mean that an agreement was not reached. Reason I ask is I see that the purchase I'm considering from your BST also belong's to someone else. PM sent.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not so hypothetical question....

Let's just say someone VERYCLOSE to me has "somehow" come into possession of 20 sealed sets...what's the downside of simply putting at least three of the sealed boxes (15 sets) in a closet for the next 5-10 years?

I'm being totally serious...and I can't really justify shelling out hundreds/thousands of dollars to send them all in for grading right now. Will getting potential 70s out of PCGS and NGC in future years become more difficult if these pop in value over time...or is that not the way the system works?

• Options

<< <i>Not so hypothetical question....

Let's just say someone VERYCLOSE to me has "somehow" come into possession of 20 sealed sets...what's the downside of simply putting at least three of the sealed boxes (15 sets) in a closet for the next 5-10 years?

I'm being totally serious...and I can't really justify shelling out hundreds/thousands of dollars to send them all in for grading right now. Will getting potential 70s out of PCGS and NGC in future years become more difficult if these pop in value over time...or is that not the way the system works? >>

-The proofs that I own have sometimes shown a hazed surface over the years.
    -Peak prices and collector interest on moderns don't normally hold indefinitely.
    -If it'll be a 70 15 years from now it should be a 70 now - strike while the iron is hot.
    -downside is lower prices in 15 years (adjusted for inflation of course)

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    side by side ....the NGC 70s look nicer than the PCGS 70s..... coin club got them today
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Be sure to add 10% to the price if you go the ebay route. >>

Ya, I know. Between ebay and paypal and shipping it doesnt work out to quite 10%, but it's up there. >>

don't forget your time. image
  • Options

<< <i>side by side ....the NGC 70s look nicer than the PCGS 70s..... coin club got them today >>

the labels or the coins?
  • Options

<< <i>I believe one can get the bulk submission label with only a five set submission, according to this:

The arrival of the highly anticipated, limited edition 25th Anniversary Silver Eagle 5 Piece Set from the United States Mint is right around the corner. What a better way to commemorate such a stunning addition to your coin collection than to have them graded and encapsulated in a PCGS holder! We have two options for you when it comes to getting your coins into a holder.

The first option is the “Ultimate Bulk Package.” For a minimum of five (5) sets: you can receive each of your coins numerically graded by PCGS. The insert is specially designed to showcase an autograph by the 12th Chief Engraver of the US Mint and designer of the reverse of the Silver Eagle, John M. Mercanti. An autographed letter from Mr. Mercanti congratulating you on your historic set, will also be included. Each coin will also be eligible to receive First Strike® designation. All of this can be yours for $250.00 per set.

The second option is a new insert specifically developed for the 25th Anniversary of the Silver Eagle.

For a minimum of five (5) sets: You can receive each of your coins numerically graded by PCGS. Each coin will also be eligible to receive First Strike® designation. This option is available to you for only $200.00 per set.

Simply send in your US Mint sealed boxes to receive either of these special offers on your PCGS Submission Form, request which insert you would prefer and all coins will be placed into a tamper-evident holder. The coins must come sealed in order to receive both the “First Strike” and the “25th Anniversary Set” designation. Feel free to contact myself or our Bulk Staff should you have any further questions regarding the grading of this set. We are at your service and look forward to hearing from you! >>

Are you serious or is this a joke? I don't remember seeing this email.
  • Options

<< <i>...what's the downside of simply putting at least three of the sealed boxes (15 sets) in a closet for the next 5-10 years? >>

Since you asked for a downside: "Time Value of Money" - Money today is always more valuable than money tomorrow. This is one of the first principles taught in intro level accounting courses.
    EAC member since 2011, one third of the way through my 1793 large cent type set
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>side by side ....the NGC 70s look nicer than the PCGS 70s..... coin club got them today >>

the labels or the coins? >>

early release for the NGCs and the signature label for PCGs
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>...what's the downside of simply putting at least three of the sealed boxes (15 sets) in a closet for the next 5-10 years? >>

Since you asked for a downside: "Time Value of Money" - Money today is always more valuable than money tomorrow. This is one of the first principles taught in intro level accounting courses. >>

"always" in any statement, is nearly "always" incorrect. Quote from my 3rd grade math teach. Coin collecting is an excellent example of this, money (the coins) increasing in value over time with scarcity or collector interest.

Not being argumentative, just a little counterpoint for fun!
  • Options
    apmex now paying 600.00 raw.. the local big Chicago B%M ... 450.00 ha! ha !

those that sold too early for 375.00 -400.00 aren't feeling good
  • Options

<< <i>"always" in any statement, is nearly "always" incorrect. Quote from my 3rd grade math teach. Coin collecting is an excellent example of this, money (the coins) increasing in value over time with scarcity or collector interest.

Not being argumentative, just a little counterpoint for fun! >>

Too funny! Circular logic in a definition is fun, too. I won't vigorously defend the "always," but think its aimed at something to the effect of money today is useful vs. money tomorrow is an uncertainty. There is always the possibility that coins appreciate in value over time
    EAC member since 2011, one third of the way through my 1793 large cent type set
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

the labels or the coins? >>

early release for the NGCs and the signature label for PCGs >>

the standard PCGS labels are nicer than the signature series, IMO.

i'm sure someone will end up with at least 1 of each of all the TPG sets.
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    After following several Ebay auctions closing since last night, it appears the going rate for sealed boxes of 5 sets is around $4250.00 or so.
  • Options

<< <i>After following several Ebay auctions closing since last night, it appears the going rate for sealed boxes of 5 sets is around $4250.00 or so. >>

The other interesting thing is the volume of (5) set box sales today. Has an accumulation air about it me-thinks.
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    <<< apmex now paying 600.00 raw.. the local big Chicago B%M ... 450.00 ha! ha ! >>>

Whoever that local big Chicago B&M is, that price is like a mall kiosk "Cash For Gold" offer IMO image I wonder what they're selling them for? That APMEX buy offer is also low.....sellers can do a lot better right now IMO.
  • Options
    The unopened 5 set boxes are now going for $4300 on eBay.
    "I'll believe it's a crisis when the people who keep telling me it's a crisis start acting like it's a crisis." Glenn Reynolds
  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>apmex now paying 600.00 raw.. the local big Chicago B%M ... 450.00 ha! ha !

those that sold too early for 375.00 -400.00 aren't feeling good >>

image ... Tell me about it!imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

I am nearing the point of sending out $8,500 worth (ebay price) of eagles for less than half that price...imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>After following several Ebay auctions closing since last night, it appears the going rate for sealed boxes of 5 sets is around $4250.00 or so. >>

imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

Goldman is now offering $710 a set
  • Options
    taxmadtaxmad Posts: 967 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

imageimageimageimageimageimage >>

a set of 3 went for more than I sold my set of 5 - of course I don't have to worry about having a SNAD case filed against me!
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

NO. Before the deal was followed through I explained the situation to who I was dealing with. It's a long story and I don't need to explain it here or defend myself. It was out of my control. I am selling these for other people. >>

Does not "followed through" mean that an agreement was not reached. Reason I ask is I see that the purchase I'm considering from your BST also belong's to someone else. PM sent. >>

I am not passing judgement but if you post on the bst it shouldn't have anything to do with anyone else unless stated originally.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I believe one can get the bulk submission label with only a five set submission, according to this:

Simply send in your US Mint sealed boxes to receive either of these special offers on your PCGS Submission Form, request which insert you would prefer and all coins will be placed into a tamper-evident holder. The coins must come sealed in order to receive both the “First Strike” and the “25th Anniversary Set” designation. Feel free to contact myself or our Bulk Staff should you have any further questions regarding the grading of this set. We are at your service and look forward to hearing from you! >>

Are you serious or is this a joke? I don't remember seeing this email. >>

This letter was received by a poster on the MintNewsBlog. He asked PCGS a question about getting the 25th Anniversary sets graded and posted the letter he received from them.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

imageimageimageimageimageimage >>

a set of 3 went for more than I sold my set of 5 - of course I don't have to worry about having a SNAD case filed against me! >>

I have an invite to that party too image

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

This letter was received by a poster on the MintNewsBlog. He asked PCGS a question about getting the 25th Anniversary sets graded and posted the letter he received from them. >>

Is this supposed to be a good deal? Submit modern+ FS for $32 per coin or do this for $40~50 a coin. What am I missing here?
  • Options

<< <i>Goldman is now offering $710 a set >>

This is really tempting. $700/set was the threshold I told myself I would sell, but prices keep going up, even with more sets flooding the market. What to do, what to do?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

This letter was received by a poster on the MintNewsBlog. He asked PCGS a question about getting the 25th Anniversary sets graded and posted the letter he received from them. >>

Is this supposed to be a good deal? Submit modern+ FS for $32 per coin or do this for $40~50 a coin. What am I missing here? >>

It all depends on whether one thinks the exclusive label is worth the extra money. It does differentiate these coins from those bearing the standard labels.

Whether it's a good deal or not depends on how the market reacts to it, not necessarily what we think about it (just like with the First Strike designation).
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Is this supposed to be a good deal? Submit modern+ FS for $32 per coin or do this for $40~50 a coin. What am I missing here? >>

It all depends on whether one thinks the exclusive label is worth the extra money. It does differentiate these coins from those bearing the standard labels.

Whether it's a good deal or not depends on how the market reacts to it, not necessarily what we think about it (just like with the First Strike designation). >>

The first option get the special label, but the second option doesn't seem to but you still pay $8 extra per coin??
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Whether it's a good deal or not depends on how the market reacts to it, not necessarily what we think about it (just like with the First Strike designation). >>

The first option get the special label, but the second option doesn't seem to but you still pay $8 extra per coin?? >>

Never mind, I misread the letter as being $250 for a sealed box of 5 sets, not $250/set. Duh! Not a steal of a deal like I thought!

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Goldman is now offering $710 a set >>

This is really tempting. $700/set was the threshold I told myself I would sell, but prices keep going up, even with more sets flooding the market. What to do, what to do? >>

It seems that the prices keep going up. I think this situation is a lot different than with the 20th Anniv set. There is less quantity and a larger set. Prices are pushing toward $800. I can't imagine they would exceed $900/set. I sold a couple of sealed sets for $875 to $895. I could have waited to see if the prices would reach $1,200 (that is a reachable price for sealed sets). I was fine with the profit I made, $490+ per set. It is a little scary to go out on the limb to the very end. That's what makes this a very exciting and scary time. Good luck to you!!
    Green neophyte
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My local B&M guy would be all:

"Let's see.. Spot silver is $35.50... I could give you.. a dollar over spot... $36.90 x 5... $184.50."
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options

<< <i>My local B&M guy would be all:

"Let's see.. Spot silver is $35.50... I could give you.. a dollar over spot... $36.90 x 5... $184.50." >>

I'm usually pretty good at guessing the acronyms, but what is B&M?

• Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭✭
    My local B&M is run by a very nice old couple.

When I asked of they had any 25th sets, she said she just sold 2 but had 1 left.

I asked how much and I swear her sweet little face turned stone cold and she said...."$1000" and did not blink.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    Had to happen sooner or later, just looking at newly listed sets on feebay, xray images of sealed box

x ray listing
  • Options
    drfishdrfish Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭
    brick and mortar coin store

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file