Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

25th Anniversary ASE set

Comments

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,684 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wanderd into my local B&M yesterday while shopping at Trader Joey's and asked: "Have you seen any ASE Anniv. Sets coming in?"

"Nope." Well, if you did what would you be paying? He said: "Oh, $20 over Mint cost."

Glad I got what I needed at Trader's. "Bread and fruit."

Miles >>

So maybe you can go back to him and tell him you will pay $40 over Mint Cost....He can double his profitimage

• Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    My five sets are on there way per mint email. Just the day before they were estimating a maling date of 11/28/11. My original order went through 4:08.02 Eastern time, but like so many other people it took me multiple attempts over hours to get the order placed. I was not continuous at it but must have tried at least 5-6 times (sounds like I was very lucky compared to some out there).

Hope as many others that got their orders in later get sets, too.
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    ObiwancanoliObiwancanoli Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My five sets are on there way per mint email. Just the day before they were estimating a maling date of 11/28/11. My original order went through 4:08.02 Eastern time, but like so many other people it took me multiple attempts over hours to get the order placed. I was not continuous at it but must have tried at least 5-6 times (sounds like I was very lucky compared to some out there).

Hope as many others that got their orders in later get sets, too. >>

I'm sure many more will be disappointed than will be pleased...

I was happy to learn this morning, too, my 5:04 (PCT) order was shipped this morning, but that's not a full box... image
    UBERCOINER

A Truth That's Told With Bad Intent
    Beats All The Lies You Can Invent
  • Options
    Yeah but he is probably the one paying $4300 on ebay.image
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Has anyone else sold a box to mtrade6 on ebay? Sold my boxes for my dad/friend to him. Had great feedback, member since 2007, mostly buys/sells expensive coins etc. He has bought at least 10 boxes today from different sellers (just based on feedback) and hasn't responded to my emails. Even though he did pay and I shipped. Just curious if anyone here sold to him. >>

I hope you dad/friend/cough@%^^*you, got a lot more then you had on the BST.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    Friend removed labels from mint box! Still sealed though. Is it still an "unopened box" and eligible for first strike label?
    Thank you.
  • Options
    paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

<< <i>Friend removed labels from mint box! Still sealed though. Is it still an "unopened box" and eligible for first strike label?
    Thank you. >>

Sure - dated invoice inside. But selling it could pose a problem.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    He did leave the bar code sticker on the box? make a difference in a good way?
  • Options
    commacomma Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Has anyone else sold a box to mtrade6 on ebay? Sold my boxes for my dad/friend to him. Had great feedback, member since 2007, mostly buys/sells expensive coins etc. He has bought at least 10 boxes today from different sellers (just based on feedback) and hasn't responded to my emails. Even though he did pay and I shipped. Just curious if anyone here sold to him. >>

I hope you dad/friend/cough@%^^*you, got a lot more then you had on the BST. >>

Not after fees
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Is anyone concerned about holding these (long term) considering the milk-spot potential? >>

me is. >>

Me is too.

Mine are unopened in the shipping box and I plan on selling them or having them graded at the FUN show in January.

I will only keep a set or sets if they are graded, only because of the milkspot insurance.

I have 2 2006 PF70 RP's and both have spots. I be will visiting PCGS at the FUN show.

Edit for spelling image

• Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Not after fees >>

Well hopefully you learned a lesson , also I thought by you selling these you are now responsible to claim that on your taxes. Good luck with that...........Enjoy image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Not after fees >>

Well hopefully you learned a lesson , also I thought by you selling these you are now responsible to claim that on your taxes. Good luck with that...........Enjoy image >>

Everyone is so positive around here!
    Technically, anything you sell on ebay you have to claim.
  • Options
    paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

<< <i>He did leave the bar code sticker on the box? make a difference in a good way? >>

If it's a bo5, would you pay 4-5 grand for a no label box? image

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << Has anyone else sold a box to mtrade6 on ebay? Sold my boxes for my dad/friend to him. Had great feedback, member since 2007, mostly buys/sells expensive coins etc. He has bought at least 10 boxes today from different sellers (just based on feedback) and hasn't responded to my emails. Even though he did pay and I shipped. Just curious if anyone here sold to him. >>

If you got the "Ok to Ship" from Paypal, shipped registered or w/ signiture confirmation and you have been paid then whats the worry?

Forget the negativity: Ebay and the BST forum are both great ways to sell.
  • Options

<< <i><< Has anyone else sold a box to mtrade6 on ebay? Sold my boxes for my dad/friend to him. Had great feedback, member since 2007, mostly buys/sells expensive coins etc. He has bought at least 10 boxes today from different sellers (just based on feedback) and hasn't responded to my emails. Even though he did pay and I shipped. Just curious if anyone here sold to him. >>

If you got the "Ok to Ship" from Paypal, shipped registered or w/ signiture confirmation and you have been paid then whats the worry? >>

Im just a natural worrier...and seeing that be bought a lot of boxes made me think. Got the "OK to ship", shipped insured with sig confirmation and got paid.

• Options
    Does anyone know how often the pop reports are updated? It would be nice to see how these are grading so far.
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does anyone know how often the pop reports are updated? It would be nice to see how these are grading so far. >>

agreed, great question.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Does anyone know how often the pop reports are updated? It would be nice to see how these are grading so far. >>

agreed, great question. >>

Depending how busy PCGS is, but it normally happens on a Sunday.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

When they get around to it. I called thm earlier in the year and they basically said they have one guy inputing the numbers and it is a big job. So, it takes time.
  • Options
    Wouldn't you think that since the coins and grades are entered for online viewing there would be an automatic updating of the pops at that time?? Co-mingle the data base... But then someone would be out of a job I guess....
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So, there are now several eBay sellers with PCGS 70 sets. I am wondering if Express Service the only way to get them graded and turned around that quick?
    Will the "ultimate bulk" submission ($250/set, or $200/set) also has faster turn around time?? >>

Ebay will remove reported presale of graded sets on the basis that a listing for a graded coin requires a picture of the actual coin(s) and holder being sold and requires actual certification numbers be provided.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>I wouldnt be surprised if unopened boxes of 5 will hit $5k in the coming weeks. >>

i started searching for a (under $700 LOL) raw set to purchase, with the proceeds of my Bo5 sale. image >>

Lol. Is there a word for a re-flipper? >>

Somewhere early in this thread I discussed re-flippers and the affect they would have on price increases. I also mentioned that when they stop buying, prices will drop.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    RTSRTS Posts: 1,408
    N wants to thank the kind people of the U.S. Coin Forum for allowing her to so far make a $4,100 (now $4,500) profit
    from her 25th Anniversary ASE coins...she says coin collectors are nice people.

Edited to add: as a thank you to everyone N got me a Tiffany crocodile
    card case, thank you N. N loves Tiffany.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>I wouldnt be surprised if unopened boxes of 5 will hit $5k in the coming weeks. >>

i started searching for a (under $700 LOL) raw set to purchase, with the proceeds of my Bo5 sale. image >>

Lol. Is there a word for a re-flipper? >>

Somewhere early in this thread I discussed re-flippers and the affect they would have on price increases. I also mentioned that when they stop buying, prices will drop. >>

Do you really think that the re-flippers are the ones buying at $850??? That is a ballsy move at that price. They would have to re-flip at a grand to break even......I think raw open sets will max out a tad above where they are now...maybe up to $950 but not much higher.....

The upgrade will be the complete graded sets since all those open boxes are taking the number of potential complete sets down dramatically....that's why I think even a 69 set will near $1500 in the near future....

...and they will look freakin awesome in that blue Mint presentation box...image
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Is anyone concerned about holding these (long term) considering the milk-spot potential? >>

me is. >>

Me is too.

Mine are unopened in the shipping box and I plan on selling them or having them graded at the FUN show in January.

I will only keep a set or sets if they are graded, only because of the milkspot insurance.

I have 2 2006 PF70 RP's and both have spots. I be will visiting PCGS at the FUN show.

Edit for spelling image >>

YEPPER..... The mint giveth and the mint taketh away.imageimage
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    Hi all, Another new member here.... A lot us recently! My question- Is Silvertowne a good (reputable) source for selling the sets? They have an offer I'm considering and would like any feedback available. They advised I would ship directly to NGC, and once NGC confirmed receipt, they would send me a check. Not sure that I like this, I would prefer to send to them directly then have them send a check. But I do understand it's cutting out a step in their process to have me ship directly for grading and it would be about the same cost to me since I have to ship anyway. Does this process raise any red flags?

I'm also not experienced with shipping. From what I have read on this thread and others, I believe, I should send USPS registered, insured with signature confirmation. Correct? It would be a box of 5 sets and a box of 3 sets. I can also send expedited with registered, right?

I have been a long time lurker and really enjoy all of the knowledge shared. Thanks
  • Options

<< <i>Hi all, Another new member here.... A lot us recently! My question- Is Silvertowne a good (reputable) source for selling the sets? They have an offer I'm considering and would like any feedback available. They advised I would ship directly to NGC, and once NGC confirmed receipt, they would send me a check. Not sure that I like this, I would prefer to send to them directly then have them send a check. But I do understand it's cutting out a step in their process to have me ship directly for grading and it would be about the same cost to me since I have to ship anyway. Does this process raise any red flags?

I'm also not experienced with shipping. From what I have read on this thread and others, I believe, I should send USPS registered, insured with signature confirmation. Correct? It would be a box of 5 sets and a box of 3 sets. I can also send expedited with registered, right?

I have been a long time lurker and really enjoy all of the knowledge shared. Thanks >>

I think you'll be fine shipping right to NGC.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    Silvertowne has been around for quite a while and I would consider them a reputable company....

Regarding shipping....cheapest and safest for you would be registered with full value insurance (whatever they are offering you). It's the slowest but you really don't care about that....sig is required for registered

edited to add: image to the frenzy
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>
    Somewhere early in this thread I discussed re-flippers and the affect they would have on price increases. I also mentioned that when they stop buying, prices will drop. >>

Do you really think that the re-flippers are the ones buying at $850??? That is a ballsy move at that price. They would have to re-flip at a grand to break even......I think raw open sets will max out a tad above where they are now...maybe up to $950 but not much higher.....

The upgrade will be the complete graded sets since all those open boxes are taking the number of potential complete sets down dramatically....that's why I think even a 69 set will near $1500 in the near future....
    >>

I agree the current price are being supported by several re-flippers, as they are buying up all the box of 5 sealed sets at 4k+.
    I look at a couple buyers each of whom brought over 40 box of 5 in the last few day for 4k+ a pop.
    BST reference: wondercoin, cone10, fivecents, jmdm1194, goldman86
  • Options
    alangloialangloi Posts: 35 ✭✭✭
    I packed my 3 sets/unopened mint box per the forum information and mailed it to PCGS this past Saturday (from Jacksonville, Florida) . Registered and Insured at the local Post Office. The local PO scanned the package at acceptance, and it was scanned prior to sending it to a local sorting facility Saturday afternoon.

No scan since. I have no idea where it may be. Contacted the local Post Office and they are at a loss at why it was not scanned since Saturday, but they hope that it will be scanned today and show up after 6 PM Eastern time.

As mentioned in the forum, the local PO Supervisor said there is a paper trail for registered packages if worse comes to worse. The box was well packed, and it had both my address and PCGS address attached to the inner box from the mint. It also had my credit card information on the PCGS form.image I sure hope the package shows up on the USPS web site tonight.
    I also contacted the destination post office but they were of no help today.

Hope you all have better luck.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    Is PCGS or NGC accepting these sets at the Baltimore Show for grading?
  • Options

<< <i>I packed my 3 sets/unopened mint box per the forum information and mailed it to PCGS this past Saturday (from Jacksonville, Florida) . Registered and Insured at the local Post Office. The local PO scanned the package at acceptance, and it was scanned prior to sending it to a local sorting facility Saturday afternoon.

No scan since. I have no idea where it may be. Contacted the local Post Office and they are at a loss at why it was not scanned since Saturday, but they hope that it will be scanned today and show up after 6 PM Eastern time.

As mentioned in the forum, the local PO Supervisor said there is a paper trail for registered packages if worse comes to worse. The box was well packed, and it had both my address and PCGS address attached to the inner box from the mint. It also had my credit card information on the PCGS form.image I sure hope the package shows up on the USPS web site tonight.

Hope you all have better luck. >>

USPS "tracking" is a joke. And registered mail is slow. So personally I wouldn't worry about it until next week if nothing shows up. But that's just me.
    I know registered is more reliable and sometimes cheaper, but I like to send the "fastest" way I can afford so it's just there and I dont have to worry about it.
  • Options

<< <i>Do you really think that the re-flippers are the ones buying at $850??? That is a ballsy move at that price. They would have to re-flip at a grand to break even......I think raw open sets will max out a tad above where they are now...maybe up to $950 but not much higher..... >>

I know another modern collector (truth be told he's more of a modern flipper) that was still buying in quantity up to $775. He's now done he says, but he bought a great many sets. Also, an eBay seller on another board I frequent posted that when he searched the history for one of his buyers that he found the buyer had purchased 280 sets recently! The poster certainly didn't have any reason to lie and his post seemed 100% genuine.

I honestly believe that a great many, if not the majority of sets selling right now are going to dealers and 're-flippers'. How long can this self-feeding frenzy go on I don't know. However it's important to note that the 20th ASE sets did no peak for at least 6 months after their issue. The rate these are rising right now I think we'll see the short term top well before then.

• Options

<< <i>I packed my 3 sets/unopened mint box per the forum information and mailed it to PCGS this past Saturday (from Jacksonville, Florida) . Registered and Insured at the local Post Office. The local PO scanned the package at acceptance, and it was scanned prior to sending it to a local sorting facility Saturday afternoon.

Normal procedure. Sometimes en route tracking shows and sometimes it doesn't. Will not arrive at PCGS for 6-14 days from Jax (I know first hand, I live on the southside). Your concern is premature.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    alangloialangloi Posts: 35 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Normal procedure. Sometimes en route tracking shows and sometimes it doesn't. Will not arrive at PCGS for 6-14 days from Jax (I know first hand, I live on the southside). Your concern is premature. >>

Thank You for the info. This is my first package to PCGS, and the PO slip had a arrival day in CA for this past Monday. And I believed them...live and learn.
  • Options

<< <i> Thank You for the info. This is my first package to PCGS, and the PO slip had a arrival day in CA for this past Monday. And I believed them...live and learn. >>

That is because the arrival date is based on the Priority part of your shipment...adding Registered changed that significantly....I would predict at least a week for delivery. Also..registered tracking doesn't seem to show activity until it gets to the destination PO...then it will update the info...weird I know
  • Options
    I sent in a box of 3 sets to PCGS yesterday through express mail. Today it shows no one was available to receive the package and a notice was left. This is my first time sending in anything to PCGS. Should I be worried?
  • Options

<< <i>I sent in a box of 3 sets to PCGS yesterday through express mail. Today it shows no one was available to receive the package and a notice was left. This is my first time sending in anything to PCGS. Should I be worried? >>

They will pick it up today....
  • Options
    Hey....still waiting for the "Modern Crap" comments...image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I sent in a box of 3 sets to PCGS yesterday through express mail. Today it shows no one was available to receive the package and a notice was left. This is my first time sending in anything to PCGS. Should I be worried? >>

They will pick it up today.... >>

Thanks. I hope they do pick them up today.
  • Options

<< <i>

Yes, it goes to a PO Box doesn't it? It either arrived after they picked up for the day or before they picked. I would think they would do a mid-day pickup.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    Never mind. NGC states on the site on grading of 25th Anniversary Sets.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Yes, it goes to a PO Box doesn't it? It either arrived after they picked up for the day or before they picked. I would think they would do a mid-day pickup. >>

If the package arrived BEFORE PCGS picked up for the day, then PCGS would have gotten it this morning so it likely arrived BETWEEN the AM and PM pickups.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> Thank You for the info. This is my first package to PCGS, and the PO slip had a arrival day in CA for this past Monday. And I believed them...live and learn. >>

That is because the arrival date is based on the Priority part of your shipment...adding Registered changed that significantly....I would predict at least a week for delivery. Also..registered tracking doesn't seem to show activity until it gets to the destination PO...then it will update the info...weird I know >>

I sent a registered package from PA to CA, took 14 days! Tracking never showed where it was till it arrived, but did indicate it would arrive 4 days after I shipped it. The buyer was not happy . image
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Unopened boxes of 5 were being sold at $4500 at the Baltimore show. Tons were being submitted to PCGS.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options

<< <i>I sent a registered package from PA to CA, took 14 days! Tracking never showed where it was till it arrived, but did indicate it would arrive 4 days after I shipped it. The buyer was not happy . image >>

I shipped two sets via Priority Mail this last Saturday. I am in WA State and one went to Idaho, the other Virginia. Both arrive at their destination yesterday. Now, you would think the one going to the State next door would arrive before the one going across the Country, now wouldn't ya.
  • Options

<< <i>Unopened boxes of 5 were being sold at $4500 at the Baltimore show. Tons were being submitted to PCGS. >>

I hope the same offers are forthcoming at Santa Clara. If so, I'm selling. If not, I'm grading.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options

<< <i>Unopened boxes of 5 were being sold at $4500 at the Baltimore show. Tons were being submitted to PCGS. >>

It kind of makes you wonder where the grades are going to land and what effect this will have on the final price of the 70 sets. I noticed the 70 sets have started to drop a little on Fleecebay.
  • Options
    Can you turn in these sets at the show to be graded later, instead of shipping them or only if you want them graded that day?
    Is there a charge beyond the normal?
    Do they have to be in one big box if you have multipile boxes?
    Thanks
  • Options

<< <i>Thank You for the info. This is my first package to PCGS, and the PO slip had a arrival day in CA for this past Monday. And I believed them...live and learn. >>

Since it is a registered priority shipment, PO is giving you estimated arrival time for priority mail. The addition of registered is gonna slow it down and this is not taken into consideration when the system spits out your delivery date.

- Nick Giambruno

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file