Comments

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    4501 Ya.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Has someone seen the new thread about the cost of shipping the OGP for the 25th Anniv Set? It will be $30/set. For a box of 5, that will add $150 to the cost. Seem exorbitant!! This affects submissions beginning 11/18/11. >>

No, you need to go back and re-read. Don said that was for "Five sets of five packages will cost $150."
    That's 5 sets of 5 packages....not 1 box of 5 sets.
    $30 covers from 3 to 5 sets (ie...usually 1 box). "$30 – Three to five 25th Anniversary Mint packages" >>

I wonder if we can pick up are OGP.image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    RockdogzRockdogz Posts: 145 ✭✭✭
    I thought in the past I just had to write "Please return OGP packaging" on the order form, no additional fees. I sent in 2 sets, so will I get my OGP back??
  • Options
    In case some of you haven't seen the OGP, it is pretty nice. Even the slabs fit in very nicely, 5 across, and the lid closes. Beauty!
  • Options
    fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭

<< <i>I sent in 2 sets, so will I get my OGP back?? >>

postmarked today or sooner? yes

PCGS update
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I thought in the past I just had to write "Please return OGP packaging" on the order form, no additional fees. I sent in 2 sets, so will I get my OGP back?? >>

It use to be including in the $18 First Strike sticker fee. From the announcement, it sounds like if you mailed today or before, you are safe. If you mail tomorrow, you have to pay.

• Options
    RockdogzRockdogz Posts: 145 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I sent in 2 sets, so will I get my OGP back?? >>

postmarked today or sooner? yes

PCGS update >>

PCGS already has my submission...whew!

Thanks
  • Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Has someone seen the new thread about the cost of shipping the OGP for the 25th Anniv Set? It will be $30/set. For a box of 5, that will add $150 to the cost. Seem exorbitant!! This affects submissions beginning 11/18/11. >>

No, you need to go back and re-read. Don said that was for "Five sets of five packages will cost $150."
    That's 5 sets of 5 packages....not 1 box of 5 sets.
    $30 covers from 3 to 5 sets (ie...usually 1 box). "$30 – Three to five 25th Anniversary Mint packages" >>

I wonder if we can pick up are OGP.image >>

You may want to go back & re-read. It says "packages," NOT sets. And it is not clear at all. Seems like six bucks a set to return if you send 5 boxes of 5 sets. Or $10 for one set?? Maybe using "sets" in lieu of "packages," and visa versa. Seems like a break if you send 5 sets in a box ($6) versus $10 for one.
  • Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In case some of you haven't seen the OGP, it is pretty nice. Even the slabs fit in very nicely, 5 across, and the lid closes. Beauty! >>

I saw one in the flesh at the Santa Clara show. Asking price for the set - $850. I smiled. Was told two had been sold at that price so far that day.

The box and coins are very beautiful.

I don't do ASE's but the size of them struck me. Seeing the WLH obverse so wonderfully, fully struck, and in a naturally magnified size was somewhat awesome. The reverse proof effect was also eye catching.

I also just wanted to add a comment/my two cents to this massive 4000+ thread on the subject.

So much money being made on these things. It was nice to see a set with my own eyes.
  • Options
    Somethings I would like to point out...........Very fair price to get these beautiful boxes with capsules and coas...............The Big dealers selling sets remind me of the 2008 Gold Buffalo pieces being sold after grading by the big guns......yes prices were high back then for a 70 graded coin.............but the prices did not stop!..........even after the big guys sold all their inventory of graded coins the prices went even higher and stayed there for quite some time......Now YES they were lower mintages........BUT the gold pieces have less of a collector base............The Silver Eagle collector base is far larger.............Just a suggestion but investors may just want to pick up alot of these graded sets while the prices are cheap............IMO
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another thing about the new PCGS charges for shipping back the OGP... why ship them back right away??? My coins got to PCGS on Monday and I got an email that they shipped out the OGP today. I don't need the OGP right away, why not hold those boxes and ship them back w/ my coins???? Surely shipping the OGP back with a few PCGS boxes in the package is cheaper than sending both separately, right????

• Options

<< <i>Another thing about the new PCGS charges for shipping back the OGP... why ship them back right away??? My coins got to PCGS on Monday and I got an email that they shipped out the OGP today. I don't need the OGP right away, why not hold those boxes and ship them back w/ my coins???? Surely shipping the OGP back with a few PCGS boxes in the package is cheaper than sending both separately, right???? >>

Where are they going to storage them, itemize them, and match them up at the end? I think it is better to ship them now then to ship them with the graded coins, at least from a business perspective.
    Green neophyte
  • Options
    spotthedogspotthedog Posts: 313 ✭✭✭
    Possibly the ogp is returned at a cheaper rate (like parcel post), whereas the coins are returned priority, or first class.mail.
  • Options

<< <i>Possibly the ogp is returned at a cheaper rate (like parcel post), whereas the coins are returned priority, or first class.mail. >>

You bring up a good point. I think they wanted to address this quickly and may reconsider the way they ship. Maybe cooler heads will prevail. It would be a good business decision to offer more choices for its customers.
    Green neophyte
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like those that don't get the notice or read the forum and ship for grading with an OGP return request included are in for disappointment.

Best that the provider of service has all the ducks in a row and anticipate problems, instead of reacting to them after the fact.

edit = I see it's on the bottom of the 25th Anny set update link on the front page, so that's good.
  • Options
    fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭
    its cheaper to return the coins insured with the least weight.

the OGP return box is only 25+ oz lighter.

i just got my coins today, so i missed that deal. image

you don't have to get them back.

IIRC an empty box sold for ~$40.
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • Options
    It seems we now have 3 threads that are return packaging costs related (oh and 2 more on actual packaging) .....it's getting stupid.

Why don't we discuss packaging costs on the packaging cost thread, packaging on the packaging thread and 25th Annie's on this thread....

Simple but unique concept.

It would be really earth shattering if we could discuss EVERYTHING on one thread but that would be too easy

Sorry for the rant.....

• Options
    I like many here have been holding on to their unopened packages, not really knowing what to do with these. I have packages for a set of 1 and a set of 4. I do feel and hear, shifting and movement in both boxes as I raise and lower either end and when they are gentlly shaken back and forth. With the rising cost of grading these and the chance of a key being damaged, I am leaning towards opening these. I really don't want to open but would like to return any damaged sets within mint timframe. Our host in his thread on cost for ogp return stated "Yes we are finding coin capsules loose in the packaging and even in some cases the coins have fallen out of the capsules. Not a great packaging job by the mint".

What are people finding when they have opened their packages due to hearing and feeling those funny things in their packages?
  • Options
    ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

<<Sorry for the rant.....>> No problem, rant away.image
    Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-
  • Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I like many here have been holding on to their unopened packages, not really knowing what to do with these. I have packages for a set of 1 and a set of 4. I do feel and hear, shifting and movement in both boxes as I raise and lower either end and when they are gentlly shaken back and forth. With the rising cost of grading these and the chance of a key being damaged, I am leaning towards opening these. I really don't want to open but would like to return any damaged sets within mint timframe. Our host in his thread on cost for ogp return stated "Yes we are finding coin capsules loose in the packaging and even in some cases the coins have fallen out of the capsules. Not a great packaging job by the mint".

What are people finding when they have opened their packages due to hearing and feeling those funny things in their packages? >>

Most likely scratched up coins not likely to grade a 70. image
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    Seems NGC is still only charging a dollar a set to return packaging on their site. Just sent them two sets. I wonder if they will start charging.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    You could always go with ANACS, they do not even have you send in the boxes, just the coins, and they give you the anniversary label.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You could always go with ANACS, they do not even have you send in the boxes, just the coins, and they give you the anniversary label. >>

That's why they are deeeply discounted when you sell your coins.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I like many here have been holding on to their unopened packages, not really knowing what to do with these. I have packages for a set of 1 and a set of 4. I do feel and hear, shifting and movement in both boxes as I raise and lower either end and when they are gentlly shaken back and forth. With the rising cost of grading these and the chance of a key being damaged, I am leaning towards opening these. I really don't want to open but would like to return any damaged sets within mint timframe. Our host in his thread on cost for ogp return stated "Yes we are finding coin capsules loose in the packaging and even in some cases the coins have fallen out of the capsules. Not a great packaging job by the mint".

What are people finding when they have opened their packages due to hearing and feeling those funny things in their packages? >>

Most likely scratched up coins not likely to grade a 70. image >>

Not so...as long as the coins remain in their capsules...The number of 70's being generated by PCGS & NGC will attest to that theory.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>You could always go with ANACS, they do not even have you send in the boxes, just the coins, and they give you the anniversary label. >>

That's why they are deeeply discounted when you sell your coins. >>

That is very true but at least you get your coins graded and protected in sealed cases very cheaply. You will not get anniversary labeling on 3

of the coins after opening the sealed box.
  • Options
    Hypothetical: Let's assume the number of 70 sets coming out of the major grading companies (PCGS & NGC) is extremely high, 50% or maybe even higher. Obviously, prices of these graded sets drop significantly. What happens to the prices of sealed in the box sets?
  • Options

<< <i>Hypothetical: Let's assume the number of 70 sets coming out of the major grading companies (PCGS & NGC) is extremely high, 50% or maybe even higher. Obviously, prices of these graded sets drop significantly. What happens to the prices of sealed in the box sets? >>

I think you answered your own question.
  • Options

<< <i>Hypothetical: Let's assume the number of 70 sets coming out of the major grading companies (PCGS & NGC) is extremely high, 50% or maybe even higher. Obviously, prices of these graded sets drop significantly. What happens to the prices of sealed in the box sets? >>

Dont talk like that.image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

That's why they are deeeply discounted when you sell your coins. >>

That is very true but at least you get your coins graded and protected in sealed cases very cheaply. You will not get anniversary labeling on 3

of the coins after opening the sealed box. >>

Actually you do get the 25th Annie Set label from ANACS with opened boxes....They do NOT want the original packing ....Just pick 3 of you best ASE's from the past year( W,PF and bullion) , put them with an S and an RP and send the capsules in

That's all there is to get a meaningless label from that company...says a lot for the HSN sets doesn't it
  • Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

I think you answered your own question. >>

The thought crossed my mind as well. If what you say is true and even if the coins are loose and there' a potential of these being scratched up and yet you said NGC and PCGS are cranking out 70's . What is indeed going to happen to the price of sealed setsimage
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options
    That is why I sold all of my sealed sets except for one which I will sell. No sense in paying all that money for grading when I can pick up

whatever I need already graded in a couple of months if I decide that I want any. Take the money and run at this point. The ten coins I sent to

ANACS from opened boxes cost me $125 including return shipping for grading and was real cheap to ship will actually work for me. They have

the anniversary label and I don't need anything else.

I do understand about the increased value for PCGS grading as most everything I have is PCGS graded but in this case I will accept the lower

value for the cheaply graded coins. I do not fall in love with coins any more as I am just too old for that.
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I think you answered your own question. >>

The thought crossed my mind as well. If what you say is true and even if the coins are loose and there' a potential of these being scratched up and yet you said NGC and PCGS are cranking out 70's . What is indeed going to happen to the price of sealed setsimage >>

They will also fall!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    I know this has been posted but i have to run out the door and dont have time to search for it.....

what is the best way to ship these from usps to tpg....????

• Options

<< <i>I know this has been posted but i have to run out the door and dont have time to search for it.....

what is the best way to ship these from usps to tpg....???? >>

Priority Mail boxed within a box.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I know this has been posted but i have to run out the door and dont have time to search for it.....

Priority Mail boxed within a box. >>

this is the one the brown tape and date stamp??
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Priority Mail boxed within a box. >>

this is the one the brown tape and date stamp?? >>

No, you are thinking of registered priority which is cheaper than regular priority (insurance rates are lower) but slower. If you are near the TPG it doesn't take that long for registered to arrive (three days for me mailing within state).

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << Hypothetical: Let's assume the number of 70 sets coming out of the major grading companies (PCGS & NGC) is extremely high, 50% or maybe even higher. Obviously, prices of these graded sets drop significantly. What happens to the prices of sealed in the box sets? >>

But isn't that quite an assumption? Is there any indication that they're running anywhere near a 50% rate of 70s for the sealed sets?

And I will add this: fair or not...even if this is true, I assume both grading services will adjust their standards "higher", subjectively or not, to lower that rate going forward.
  • Options

The number of buyers on the BST has dropped drastically, obviously they have already bought most of what they are going to buy.

You probably will have to sell on ebay now to get the price you are looking for.
  • Options
    Just drove down to Baltimore to submit 20 sets to pcgs and they closed up shop a 12
  • Options
    pwrful4pwrful4 Posts: 282 ✭✭
    I ordered four sets at around 5:30 pm and my order still says in process. Think I have a shot of even getting one of them? I'm stationed overseas and tried to order them as early as I could, but it isn't looking good.
  • Options
    Sooooo...not a good thing that there "might" be a lot of 70's??

So we are upset with the potential that Mint coin quality on these sets could actually be good????

• Options
    <<I ordered four sets at around 5:30 pm and my order still says in process. Think I have a shot of even getting one of them? I'm stationed overseas and tried to order them as early as I could, but it isn't looking good. >>

Rumor has it that if you haven't received a cancellation order e-mail, you'll get your coins.

For whatever it's worth, I received my 5:02 order yesterday...so you should be pretty close to the head of the line.
  • Options
    <<Sooooo...not a good thing that there "might" be a lot of 70's??>>

<<So we are upset with the potential that Mint coin quality on these sets could actually be good????>>

Exactly...and what that says to me is that graded "70" sets at $3k might be overpriced, while raw open sets at $700-$800 might be underpriced!
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sooooo...not a good thing that there "might" be a lot of 70's??

So we are upset with the potential that Mint coin quality on these sets could actually be good????

image >>

Only if it"s all about the money.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>And I will add this: fair or not...even if this is true, I assume both grading services will adjust their standards "higher", subjectively or not, to lower that rate going forward. >>

Indeed, the floodgates will open and then they will close.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    So ANACS label sayS 25th Anniversary for all opened sets sent to them. The important question is do they have the word "set" in their label?
  • Options

Then you can also assume even if you get a 70 set it will still fetch what a pcgs or ngc 69 would fetch. No thank you to ANACS, just can't get any respect out of their holders.
  • Options

I do not expect the ANACS graded coins to hold the value of a PCGS graded coin. I do feel that the grading is equal to what NGC is doing

though and getting these coins graded at ANACS allows you to send in coins from opened boxes where you can not do that with the other

two grading agencies. Don't forget that the amount of sets out there is limited to 100000 because of the 2 key coins that are in the set.
  • Options

<< <i>So ANACS label sayS 25th Anniversary for all opened sets sent to them. The important question is do they have the word "set" in their label? >>

Opened/created sets still get the 25th Annie SET label....that is the point...could be coins from purchased months ago added to the 2 keys

Here's The Official Anacs line, by the Paul DeFelice: "We welcome the sets, but do not require the boxes. We will call the 5 coins 25th Anniversary Set if all are submitted together. You can submit these on the Modern Service for the best price ($10).
  • Options

When you are selling these on ebay and you are paying $60 a coin less to get them graded that $300 less than PCGS is charging.

You have a lot of room to play around and you do not have to send them in blind.

Most of these people buying on ebay don't even know the difference.

It's a win situation if you have opened sets.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file