Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

25th Anniversary ASE set

Comments

• Options

<< <i>Unopened boxes of 5 were being sold at $4500 at the Baltimore show. Tons were being submitted to PCGS. >>

So when you submit them at the show, how long till you get them back? Not same day I assume. Is there any benefit to submitting at the show other than saving the shipping?

Seems like little movement today with order fulfillment. Not many reports of "in process" to "in stock and reserved".
  • Options
    spotthedogspotthedog Posts: 313 ✭✭✭
    PCGS actually opens the box while you are there. You get your box, and original packaging back. I jokingly asked if I could check for any bad coins not worth submitting. I didn't really get an answer. The process happened pretty fast, and then I left. Probably six weeks from now I will have my wonderfully graded coins back in my hands. Wish me luck.
  • Options
    fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Unopened boxes of 5 were being sold at $4500 at the Baltimore show. Tons were being submitted to PCGS. >>

So when you submit them at the show, how long till you get them back? Not same day I assume. Is there any benefit to submitting at the show other than saving the shipping?

Seems like little movement today with order fulfillment. Not many reports of "in process" to "in stock and reserved". >>

I was told you get coins back Saturday afternoon. Is $83 a coin worth it for you though? I assume we are talking Baltimore here.
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    So, has anyone got a price from MCM on a PCGS 70 set yet? I see you have to call according to their website after following their email link for pricing.
  • Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    Pleabay's BIN & completed listings options gone for technical reasons. No checking on the sold sets for now.
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Seems like little movement today with order fulfillment. Not many reports of "in process" to "in stock and reserved". >>

I was told you get coins back Saturday afternoon. Is $83 a coin worth it for you though? I assume we are talking Baltimore here. >>

We were going to go to the Baltimore show, but wanted the coins back by Saturday afternoon. We were more than willing to pay the $83 per coin for 40 sets, but per Don Willis, NO FIRST STRIKE at the show...We coulda dropped them off, but it would be too far just to save on postage.

See Link

Link
  • Options

<< <i>

I hope the same offers are forthcoming at Santa Clara. If so, I'm selling. If not, I'm grading. >>

Is PCGS accepting 25th Anniversary Set for Grading at Santa Clara show?

appreciate any response...
  • Options
    REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know this is collector's set and not a bullion bet. BUT if silver doesnt hold $30 I would expect an increased supply from some
    nervous nellies and perhaps a price dip. Otherwise, the trend is your friend here.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I hope the same offers are forthcoming at Santa Clara. If so, I'm selling. If not, I'm grading. >>

appreciate any response... >>

It' looks like no...PCGS Show Schedule
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

It' looks like no...PCGS Show Schedule >>

PCGS is doing submissions only, which is fine with me. Some of us simply want to drop-off to avoid the cost and risk of shipping to PCGS.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I know this is collector's set and not a bullion bet. BUT if silver doesnt hold $30 I would expect an increased supply from some
    nervous nellies and perhaps a price dip. Otherwise, the trend is your friend here. >>

Weak hands are already selling....on the BST there were those that wanted to be able to pay their CC bills that these went on.
    Definitely not a bullion play at all (maybe 1-2 of the coins) and these are being, imho, bought up by the hawkers on TV ... they need to get volume to promote these and price them super high. Just watch and see......

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

It' looks like no...PCGS Show Schedule >>

From the link, this appears that PCGS will only be accepting submissions and will not be offering onsite grading.

Many Thanks for the quick info.

• Options
    OK so I think I've got it figured out as to how to best deal with one of my 25th sets:
    1. Sell the reverse proof coin
    2. Sell the "S" mint mark coin
    3. Sell the 3 bullion coins individually
    4. Frame and sell the COA
    5. Sell the wood presentation box
    6. Sell the original mint shipping box in an apparently unopened condition
    with removable panel installed

I should be able to net at least $1100 this way.
    And... It takes one more set off the market so my full sets will become even harder to find.

KP
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>OK so I think I've got it figured out as to how to best deal with one of my 25th sets:
    1. Sell the reverse proof coin
    2. Sell the "S" mint mark coin
    3. Sell the 3 bullion coins individually
    4. Frame and sell the COA
    5. Sell the wood presentation box
    6. Sell the original mint shipping box in an apparently unopened condition
    with removable panel installed

I should be able to net at least $1100 this way.
    And... It takes one more set off the market so my full sets will become even harder to find.

KP >>

That is a nice breakdown but to much work.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    70's shouldn't be to hard to get. Just because of the of the three MS. We all know an MS70 is easier than a PR70. So figure plenty of ms70, that leaves the reverse proof, which was easy to get a 70 5 years ago and the regular proof. The regular proof I think would be the hardest, but with 50,000 + sets getting graded as we speak, there should be enough to go around.

Early bird gets the worm as always.

• Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>70's shouldn't be to hard to get. Just because of the of the three MS. We all know an MS70 is easier than a PR70. So figure plenty of ms70, that leaves the reverse proof, which was easy to get a 70 5 years ago and the regular proof. The regular proof I think would be the hardest, but with 50,000 + sets getting graded as we speak, there should be enough to go around.

Early bird gets the worm as always. >>

A Bird in hand is worth two in the bush... 2 weeks and counting Enjoy imageimage
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    How are you guys shipping single open sets? priority boxes are to small.
    thanks
  • Options
    Large flat rate will ship but expensive for 1 set..................try a ups store that sells boxes
  • Options
    LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How are you guys shipping single open sets? priority boxes are to small.
    thanks >>

Medium size Priority flat rate box if shipping to somewhere far and use a regular box if it is somewhere real close.
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• Options

thanks >>

A regular large Priority flat box works. Depending where you are, it may be cheaper than a flat rate box.
  • Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    Interesting. 20 sets $20,000. Fun to watch. WHO IS THIS GUY

20 for 20
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭✭
    I have never had someone wire me money (always going the other way image).
    Do you have to provide your bank account number or does your bank provide some other number to receive funds that does not expose your personal account number?

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options

thanks >>

You may wanna try Priority Mail Padded Flat rate envelope to see if the set fits in that envelope. Flat Rate Padded envelope is free from the post office and that Costs the same as SFRB.
  • Options
    fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭

<< <i>WHO IS THIS GUY >>

the start price for the 4x Bo5, is what the entire stack in the picture cost.

sellers 1 BOX o' 5
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • Options

<< <i>Weak hands are already selling....on the BST there were those that wanted to be able to pay their CC bills that these went on.
    Definitely not a bullion play at all (maybe 1-2 of the coins) and these are being, imho, bought up by the hawkers on TV ... they need to get volume to promote these and price them super high. Just watch and see...... >>

You're 100% on the money with that observation IMO. Several posters on various forums have mentioned the fact that their buyers had bought 30 to 200+ sets during the last week. No doubt a number of dealers are buying too, but I bet the number of TV buyers would surprise most...
  • Options

<< <i> A Bird in hand is worth two in the bush... 2 weeks and counting Enjoy imageimage >>

LOL that's "worm eating warbler" for those who don't know. Excellent post 1tommy image!
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have never had someone wire me money (always going the other way image).
    Do you have to provide your bank account number or does your bank provide some other number to receive funds that does not expose your personal account number? >>

you have to provide routing number, account number that you want funds deposited in.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I have never had someone wire me money (always going the other way image).
    Do you have to provide your bank account number or does your bank provide some other number to receive funds that does not expose your personal account number? >>

you have to provide routing number, account number that you want funds deposited in. >>

Also, whether it is a checking or savings account and the Name of your bank.
    Green neophyte
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

you have to provide routing number, account number that you want funds deposited in. >>

Also, whether it is a checking or savings account and the Name of your bank. >>

Jeez. How about a steal me sign as well.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options

<< <i>

thanks >>

Medium size Priority flat rate box if shipping to somewhere far and use a regular box if it is somewhere real close. >>

The opened ones don't fit in a Medium Flat rate box (at least I couldn't make it happen) and the only way I could get them to fit in a large flat rate box was to put the set in standing up and diagonal. I ended up using regular boxes for 2 of the 3 I've sold and one of the large flat-rate gameboard boxes that our post office accidentally ordered for the other.
  • Options
    LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

thanks >>

Medium size Priority flat rate box if shipping to somewhere far and use a regular box if it is somewhere real close. >>

The opened ones don't fit in a Medium Flat rate box (at least I couldn't make it happen) and the only way I could get them to fit in a large flat rate box was to put the set in standing up and diagonal. I ended up using regular boxes for 2 of the 3 I've sold and one of the large flat-rate gameboard boxes that our post office accidentally ordered for the other. >>

Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• Options

<< <i>

thanks >>

You may wanna try Priority Mail Padded Flat rate envelope to see if the set fits in that envelope. Flat Rate Padded envelope is free from the post office and that Costs the same as SFRB. >>

You have to be kidding! Have you ever received a box that was shipped in a padded envelope? I have. They are always smashed, dented, etc. A medium flat rate can work if you fold the flaps over the set but you are asking for trouble. Pay a little more and use the regular Priority box so you can pack it right!
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    Just FYI guys, I called PCGS yesterday because I forgot to write "send back OGP" on my form. The person I talked to told me they WON'T send it back if you don't specifically ask on the form, so make sure you call so you get it back!

-Paul
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    Today's visit to MCM website to monitor their pricing for 25th Anny sets reveals -

OGP - $1199
    NGC 69 - $1399
    NGC 70 - call for price - $2749
    PCGS 69 - $1399
    PCGS 70 - call for price - $2995
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Today's visit to MCM website to monitor their pricing for 25th Anny sets reveals -

OGP - $1199
    NGC 69 - $1399
    NGC 70 - call for price - $2749
    PCGS 69 - $1399
    PCGS 70 - call for price - $2995 >>

The price difference between NGC and PCGS is only $200?? That is much lower than I expected... image

-Paul
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

thanks >>

You may wanna try Priority Mail Padded Flat rate envelope to see if the set fits in that envelope. Flat Rate Padded envelope is free from the post office and that Costs the same as SFRB. >>

You have to be kidding! Have you ever received a box that was shipped in a padded envelope? I have. They are always smashed, dented, etc. A medium flat rate can work if you fold the flaps over the set but you are sking for trouble. Pay a little more and use the regular Priority box so you can pack it right! >>

I just ordered the large regular priority boxes from usps .
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $1199 for a raw set!

Man, I don't know whether to hold or sell now. I wonder if MCM is selling these things at that price, or rather, are people BUYING them at that price?
    I know someone asked before, but at what price is modern coin mart buying sets? Or have they bought all of them already and slowly (or not so slowly) manipulating the market???

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    PCGS 69 - $1399

The price difference between NGC and PCGS is only $200?? That is much lower than I expected... image

-Paul >>

Consider the PCGS 69 set price. Dealer bulk rate is $30 per slab for Mercanti labels. $150 grading fees per set. $1399 minus $150 = $1249, only $50 more per set than the OGP price. Only a $50 premium after the extra cost of grading when compared to the current OGP price.

Since I'm getting my sets graded for my flip, I'm not liking this at all if this pricing holds going into xmas.
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Consider the PCGS 69 set price. Dealer bulk rate is $30 per slab for Mercanti labels. $150 grading fees per set. $1399 minus $150 = $1249, only $50 more per set than the OGP price. Only a $50 premium after the extra cost of grading when compared to the current OGP price. Since I'm getting my sets graded for my flip, I'm not liking this at all if this pricing holds going into xmas. >>

I agree, that's a pretty yucky outlook. I'm in a similar situation with my box of 5 in the grading pipeline now. I don't expect results until early December. I'm hoping for at least one complete 70 set. If that doesn't materialize, it appears the whole grading episode won't be worth it when you consider the time lost...
  • Options

<< <i>I just ordered the large regular priority boxes from usps . >>

Just make sure they are the flat ones, not the square boxes and they will fit fine.
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With MCM now asking $1,200 retail...what are raw, opened sets now selling for on eBay?
  • Options

<< <i>

Just make sure they are the flat ones, not the square boxes and they will fit fine. >>

yep the 1095 ers 15 1/4" x 12 3/8" x 3"
  • Options
    EggerEgger Posts: 418 ✭✭

<< <i>Just FYI guys, I called PCGS yesterday because I forgot to write "send back OGP" on my form. The person I talked to told me they WON'T send it back if you don't specifically ask on the form, so make sure you call so you get it back!

-Paul >>

are you sure, they've always returned the OGP on other orders
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    I sent two unopened sets to NGC today. I lucked out at work, since our company was getting rid of 60 flattened pre-made boxes that were the perfect size for shipping these unopened boxes. Perfect timing. I sent these registered mail insured for $2500. Because of the oversized box, the clerk says she had to charge me extra. USPS now charges for registered mail depending how much space the box will occupy on the plane.

Total cost to grade two sets at NGC with Early Release and 25th Anniversary Label is $212. So with shipping to NGC about $262.00. I wanted to send these to NGC because of the early release deadline. I will send some off to PCGS at a later time since they don't have a restriction on the 30 day window like NGC.
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>With MCM now asking $1,200 retail...what are raw, opened sets now selling for on eBay? >>

The high $700s to the mid $800s range. MCM appears to be a bit ahead of the market. I just got an email from Paradise Mint offering the raw, opened sets for $1100. I think the market for these is in a state of high flux. It might be a little longer before they settle in to an established price range...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>I sent in a box of 3 sets to PCGS yesterday through express mail. Today it shows no one was available to receive the package and a notice was left. This is my first time sending in anything to PCGS. Should I be worried? >>

They will pick it up today.... >>

Yes, it goes to a PO Box doesn't it? It either arrived after they picked up for the day or before they picked. I would think they would do a mid-day pickup. >>

Thanks. It was picked up last evening.
    Does anyone know how long it takes before the order shows up on the PCGS account?
  • Options
    Guys, the sets ship fine in the large priority boxes 12x12x8. The fit diaganally and leave plenty of room. Cost is approx $8 depending on where it's going. The other flatter priority boxes work too, but the set is perhaps squished in it as it's likely 3/8 inch too small. Good way to get a neg if it the set box gets smooshed...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Just make sure they are the flat ones, not the square boxes and they will fit fine. >>

yep the 1095 ers 15 1/4" x 12 3/8" x 3" >>

Yup, that be the one you need. Gives you a little room for padding. Don't forget to put some padding inside the Mint box to keep the coins in place. The last two I shipped arrived safe and sound.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>
    PCGS 69 - $1399

-Paul >>

Consider the PCGS 69 set price. Dealer bulk rate is $30 per slab for Mercanti labels. $150 grading fees per set. $1399 minus $150 = $1249, only $50 more per set than the OGP price. Only a $50 premium after the extra cost of grading when compared to the current OGP price.

Since I'm getting my sets graded for my flip, I'm not liking this at all if this pricing holds going into xmas. >>

Of course, that assumes all you get back are 69s. If you get back some 70s, your profit margin goes up. The big question is how many 70s can one expect to get back. It's a big gamble.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file