Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

25th Anniversary ASE set

Comments

• Options

<< <i>When you are selling these on ebay and you are paying $60 a coin less to get them graded that $300 less than PCGS is charging.

You have a lot of room to play around and you do not have to send them in blind.

Most of these people buying on ebay don't even know the difference.

It's a win situation if you have opened sets. >>

Yes if you have opened sets it is your ONLY option....

I didn't pay $70/coin ATS for grading....it was $17 plus shipping costs....which is $7 more/coin (and $1/set for my packaging back)
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Nothing wrong with that but there again that is with sealed sets.

I am only saying that for people that have opened sets the only way to get the full label is ANACS .

It gives you the protection of a holder that otherwise is not there and some name recognition with a tpg.
  • Options
    Agreed ...image
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just drove down to Baltimore to submit 20 sets to pcgs and they closed up shop a 12 >>

Twenty sets! Holy Cow. How did you manage that? Friends and family network? Well done!
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I ordered four sets at around 5:30 pm and my order still says in process. Think I have a shot of even getting one of them? I'm stationed overseas and tried to order them as early as I could, but it isn't looking good. >>

Thanks for your service!!

There is another thread devoted entirely to those with 4:30 Eastern or later orders. You should check it out. Last I checked, orders upto 5:09 were ISAR.

Good luck!!
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    Don't forget, the PCGS sets up for sale are the ones that paid for expedited grading.

There are plenty that will take 20 + days to grade.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>So ANACS label sayS 25th Anniversary for all opened sets sent to them. The important question is do they have the word "set" in their label? >>

Opened/created sets still get the 25th Annie SET label....that is the point...could be coins from purchased months ago added to the 2 keys
    >>

This is also true of all opened sets, which is why I don't think it's that big of a deal.

• Options
    How many 2006 20th Anniversary Sets were graded 70 by NGC? By PCGS?
  • Options
    JohnMabenJohnMaben Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    ok...... so I go to UPS today to pick up my box of 5 A25 sets. I walk in and there are three people ahead of me and one lady working who was in the back searching two full trucks for packages. 10 minutes later she comes out explaining that she needs to search the trucks in the back if you did not call ahead far enough in advance for will call service. While she was searching in the back one guy keeps joking to the others about how he's waiting for his "bullion". After another 5 minutes of UPS strategery and those people are gone and it's my turn so I hand her the slip. A few seconds later while punching numbers in her computer she asks me if I am a collector. I pause wishing I could just ignore but realizing it would be rude and say "yes". Then she says..... are you ready for this...... "you're not gonna flip these are you???" I was shocked but tried to be cool and just said I might. Then she went on to tell me of all the packages coming in from all over (with coins) by now I am signing and heading out when an old friend comes in with a slip to pick up...... you got it, 5 more A25 sets. Now I can only imagine that being in Sarasota the situation is worse than most other places since a large portion of these sets are ending up here. The sad part is it's really no one's business what's in the boxes and some loose lipped peopel undoubtedly just blab a way and from there every UPS employee knows the deal. As a side note here, one of my employees had not one but two boxes of 5 A25 missing presumed stolen and he lives in..... you guessed it.... Sarasota. The sets made it as far as the truck and then vanished. I believe that 99.9% of UPS USPS and FedEx employees are honest for the record as far as they would not be party to a theft. But, that still leaves the one in a thousand.....
    John

John Maben
    Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
    ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
    800-381-2646

• Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭

<< <i>ok...... so I go to UPS today to pick up my box of 5 A25 sets. I walk in and there are three people ahead of me and one lady working who was in the back searching two full trucks for packages. 10 minutes later she comes out explaining that she needs to search the trucks in the back if you did not call ahead far enough in advance for will call service. While she was searching in the back one guy keeps joking to the others about how he's waiting for his "bullion". After another 5 minutes of UPS strategery and those people are gone and it's my turn so I hand her the slip. A few seconds later while punching numbers in her computer she asks me if I am a collector. I pause wishing I could just ignore but realizing it would be rude and say "yes". Then she says..... are you ready for this...... "you're not gonna flip these are you???" I was shocked but tried to be cool and just said I might. Then she went on to tell me of all the packages coming in from all over (with coins) by now I am signing and heading out when an old friend comes in with a slip to pick up...... you got it, 5 more A25 sets. Now I can only imagine that being in Sarasota the situation is worse than most other places since a large portion of these sets are ending up here. The sad part is it's really no one's business what's in the boxes and some loose lipped peopel undoubtedly just blab a way and from there every UPS employee knows the deal. As a side note here, one of my employees had not one but two boxes of 5 A25 missing presumed stolen and he lives in..... you guessed it.... Sarasota. The sets made it as far as the truck and then vanished. I believe that 99.9% of UPS USPS and FedEx employees are honest for the record as far as they would not be party to a theft. But, that still leaves the one in a thousand.....
    John >>

That sucks! My parents bought a nice flatscreen on Amazon...it also made it to the truck, and that's it. I have no idea how a UPS delivery guy can possibly get away with stealing such expensive things, but apparently they do!

-Paul
  • Options
    I think what some are forgetting.........the mintage on these set is ONLY 100K............if only 40 percent end up graded 69-70 and 40 percent end up in sealed boxes..........collectors are hanging unto at least 1 set for their own.....that leaves very little for the collector base these coin have............IMO
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think what some are forgetting.........the mintage on these set is ONLY 100K............if only 40 percent end up graded 69-70 and 40 percent end up in sealed boxes..........collectors are hanging unto at least 1 set for their own.....that leaves very little for the collector base these coin have............IMO >>

From that 100K one also needs to subtract all the open sets.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options

<< <i>How many 2006 20th Anniversary Sets were graded 70 by NGC? By PCGS? >>

The grading is just begining. Won't have an accurate figure for at least a month.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<The grading is just begining. Won't have an accurate figure for at least a month. >>

Exactly...and on one of these threads earlier, there were those who were essentially screaming "FIRE" in a theater...namely that "half of all graded coins were coming back in 70"...and that prices are going to plunge accordingly. What their conjecture is based on exactly...I'm not sure.

We're essentially in the bottom of the first inning here...with a flood of supply hitting eBay and orders still being shipped from the Mint...so there's no way to determine where prices are going to ultimately settle.

So let's put this in another context...let's say that the Mint didn't announce a 100k mintage ahead of time...and these had just been placed on sale like a normal proof or mint set...and then one Sunday night, one of us attempted to order a set and it suddenly came up as "Sold Out"...after only 100k had been sold! There would be absolute pandamonium on this board...prices would climb to the moon and a new instant rarity would be declared (like the 2008 eagles).

And that's essentially where we are here.
  • Options
    As I pointed out on another thread...........a mere bus load (or 2) know about these sets (in comparison)........once word actually gets around they will stay at the levels they are now and increase as time goes by........sit back and relax....."BUILD IT AND THEY WILL COME"
  • Options
    2006 totals

R. Proof 69-15,245, 70-2,188
    2006 w 20th including first strike 69-12,307 70-2,134
    2006 ms 20th including first strike 69-13,564 70-554
    That is just pcgs
    Looks like about 6-1 and then for the ms 26-1
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

The grading is just begining. Won't have an accurate figure for at least a month. >>

folks the 70 sets are very under valued.. my coin club last big hit was the 2008/07 silver eagle and before that ... the 2006 20th sets
    the early sellers of the 25th anniv took it in the rear end and now the 70 sellers poised to do same
  • Options
    TRU DAT!!!
  • Options

The only label that NGC separates out is the RP 20th Annie...no separate stats for the W and PF

9150 PF70
    47169 graded
  • Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

The grading is just begining. Won't have an accurate figure for at least a month. >>

folks the 70 sets are very under valued.. my coin club last big hit was the 2008/07 silver eagle and before that ... the 2006 20th sets
    the early sellers of the 25th anniv took it in the rear end and now the 70 sellers poised to do same >>

Right now there 150 perfect 70's 2011 25th Anniversary sets on Ebay.
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options
    I think these will go higher in the future but how long do you want to own them? Most ASE collectors have learned to live without a 95W and will learn to live without these if the price goes way up.
  • Options
    Weird note: I was just browsing completed sales on Flea Bay and noticed this:

PGGS sets sold: 17 ALL were MS/PF 70's

NGC sets sold: 20 MS/PF 69's and 34 MS/PF 70's

Where are the PCGS 69's? Are they selling the 70's for quick cash before the POP's come out??

I doubt all the sets graded 70.....

Edited to add: EEKS! of the next 50 (that's FIFTY) sets for sale as of 1025am (both TPG's combined) 47 (that's FORTY SEVEN) are MS/PF 70 sets.....3 are MS/PF 69
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Weird note: I was just browsing completed sales on Flea Bay and noticed this:

Where are the PCGS 69's? Are they selling the 70's for quick cash before the POP's come out??

Edited to add: EEKS! of the next 50 (that's FIFTY) sets for sale as of 1025am (both TPG's combined) 47 (that's FORTY SEVEN) are MS/PF 70 sets.....3 are MS/PF 69 >>

This one is closing today..should give u an idea what the 69's are going for.

pcgs 69 set

this one has 4 days to go.

69 PCGS set
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Those two did not show with the search "2011 25th Anniversary Silver Eagle set" ....thanks
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

the early sellers of the 25th anniv took it in the rear end and now the 70 sellers poised to do same >>

Right now there 150 perfect 70's 2011 25th Anniversary sets on Ebay. >>

Following up on Bourchardas observations -

Of the 150 sets graded 70 on feebay, I counted 28 PCGS sets when I paged thru it...
  • Options
    Now the modern submissions are showing up. There are two sellers listing them. They must have paid a lot more.

Link

From my quick count, there are 4 listings each for 69s & 70s sets. It should be interesting to see what price they command. I am sure a lot since they are the first out of the gate.
    Green neophyte
  • Options
    Also, I noticed that there are some MS pop figures showing up. I believe these are for the bulk submissions since the coin numbers don't match the ones for regular submissions. The percentages show 70%+ being graded as 70s. From what I have read on the board, that is normally how it works. I wonder if the first ones are the best strikes and get the perfect grades?
    Green neophyte
  • Options
    JohnMabenJohnMaben Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Weird note: I was just browsing completed sales on Flea Bay and noticed this:

Edited to add: EEKS! of the next 50 (that's FIFTY) sets for sale as of 1025am (both TPG's combined) 47 (that's FORTY SEVEN) are MS/PF 70 sets.....3 are MS/PF 69 >>

The lopsided current availability of 69 sets compared to 70 sets is the reason 69 sets are holding at higher numbers and significantly higher than raw sets.

John

John Maben
    Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
    ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
    800-381-2646

• Options
    For active feebay listings as of right now -

search string - 25th anniversary silver eagle set 69 returns 40 listings, of which 12 are pcgs by my count, 30% pcgs content

search string - 25th anniversary silver eagle set 70, returns 139 listings, of which 31 are pcgs by my count, 22% pcgs content
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    The NGC 70s sets are now closing at $2400-2450 on fleebay.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options

<< <i>The NGC 70s sets are now closing at $2400-2450 on fleebay. >>

While the pcgs are holding three grr
  • Options

<< <i>For active feebay listings as of right now -

search string - 25th anniversary silver eagle set 69 returns 40 listings, of which 12 are pcgs by my count, 30% pcgs content

search string - 25th anniversary silver eagle set 70, returns 139 listings, of which 31 are pcgs by my count, 22% pcgs content >>

Which makes listings of PCGS 70's 2 1/2 times the PCGS 69's
  • Options

<< <i>The lopsided current availability of 69 sets compared to 70 sets is the reason 69 sets are holding at higher numbers and significantly higher than raw sets. John >>

Thanks...that is probably a good thing for both and a gig against opened sets
  • Options

That's about to see a big change!

- Nick Giambruno

• Options

<< <i>

That's about to see a big change! >>

Presale.

Pressure on the NGC 70s.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

That's about to see a big change! >>

Presale.

Pressure on the NGC 70s. >>

Let's see what happens when the numbers of PCGS 70's sets are made obvious
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    NGC 70 sets settling in the 2000-2200 range and PCGS 70's slightly higher tells me that raw opened sets at 800-850 might be the height.

Sealed boxes of five struggling at 4200 also tells me sell opened at 800+.

• Options
    In a hot IPO, at least the underwriters can make a market by shorting. Just wondering whether some big dealer has accumulated enough low cost chips to make a market here.
    To the free man, the country is the collection of individuals who compose it, not something over and above them. -M. Friedman
  • Options
    Once mint closes the door on any more sets going out, prices on sealed set should hold, possibly rise unless a flooded market drives prices of graded coins downward. I personally believe peaks have been reached and bubbles are starting to pop.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Once mint closes the door on any more sets going out, prices on sealed set should hold, possibly rise unless a flooded market drives prices of graded coins downward. I personally believe peaks have been reached and bubbles are starting to pop. >>

The guy who was offered $4500 for his sets while filling out his PCGS submission forms is probly kickin his ass for not takin it and the guy who he turned down is probly thankin his ass for not being buried in them.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    This is what you pay the extra for....and...could explain the increased 70's

almost 70
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is what you pay the extra for....and...could explain the increased 70's

almost 70 >>

Hard to believe that the grader missed THAT. Are these even finalized?
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    Kudos to the seller for disclosing the imperfection on the perfection. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>This is what you pay the extra for....and...could explain the increased 70's

almost 70 >>

Hard to believe that the grader missed THAT. Are these even finalized? >>

The encapsulator dropped it after grading and was afraid to tell anyone. image
    I thought they went back to a grader for review after encapsulation.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options

<< <i>Kudos to the seller for disclosing the imperfection on the perfection. image >>

From the PCGS video, all these coins go through rigorous multiple checks to ensure that the coin is graded correctly and in the right condition. I guess sometimes things fall through the cracks or scratches in this case. image
    Green neophyte
  • Options
    Looks like someone has some splaining to do. Maybe the coin fell out of the Mint capsule between grading and encapsulating. image
    Green neophyte
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭

<< <i>Once mint closes the door on any more sets going out, prices on sealed set should hold, possibly rise unless a flooded market drives prices of graded coins downward. I personally believe peaks have been reached and bubbles are starting to pop. >>

IMO it's too early to draw any conclusions at this point. A few days ago Thurs. 11/17 appeared to be the peak on Ebay up to now with sealed 5'ers bringing between $4250.00 - $4500.00 and opened single sets seemed to be bringing at least in the high $700.00 area or better. The market (on Ebay) seemed to soften starting Fri. morning and has held pretty much steady since. I've also noticed that throughout last week the total number of 25th sets on Ebay was nearly steady in the low 600 area, and now the numbers are climbing into the high 800 area since about late Fri.

IMO the real test will be in a few weeks when 1000's upon 1000's of sets sent to PCGS/NGC are done and sent back, and I'm guessing the market will see a massive availability of graded sets on Ebay, the BST here, etc. Longer term I don't really see sealed 5'er boxes falling below the $3250.00 - $3600.00 range, and possibly we could actually see much stronger pricing as more and more boxes are opened, but it also depends on how much the complete "70" sets bring longer term.
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

almost 70 >>

Hard to believe that the grader missed THAT. Are these even finalized? >>

Makes you wonder.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will also be interesting to see what happens when the people that are currently "backordered" get their orders cancelled when the mint sells out and has no more and no more that they can cancel due to credit card/dupe orders....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    There will be thousands if not tens of thousands of 70's.

The bottom line reason is 5 per HH.

A 1 per HH would distribute the coins evenly over the population, many of which would not grade them.

As it is, the majority of sets went to flippers and dealers who are grading them.

The pops already show 300+ 70's per coin at pcgs and it's only the first or second week. This will easily increase to thousands.

I'm certain NGC is well over that.

One Hundred thousand sets is a lot, especially if most are being graded.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file