Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

25th Anniversary ASE set

Comments

• Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭

<< <i>Today's visit to MCM website to monitor their pricing for 25th Anny sets reveals -

OGP - $1199
    NGC 69 - $1399
    NGC 70 - call for price - $2749
    PCGS 69 - $1399
    PCGS 70 - call for price - $2995 >>

Yes, selling at $1199.00 for a set.

I called MCM yesterday afternoon and they were paying $3500.00 for a SEALED box of 5 sets which is $700.00 each. So they will buy at $700.00 and sell at $1199.00 which represents a 71% markup. And I assume their price of $1199.00 is for an OPEN set, so not even comparing apples to apples?

Nothing like tight spreads image
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh come on... a 71% markup is fair... they're dealers you know... all that overhead and stuff image

And that's just on sets purchased right now... think about the markup on the sets bought for under $400 each image
  • Options
    Our prices are CONSTANTLY changing. More than the airlines change fares. We bought boxes in the mid 8's, we have enough now, so if you asked me now I wouldnt even pay the $700. that's what happens when you get "filled". On the sell side, a few of the prices quoted in the above post have already changed again; for example the raw set is $1095 and NGC set less also. We monitor legitimate competition both at ebay and websites and try to meet or beat... we don't intentionally try to drive prices up or down, we follow the greater marketplace....

John
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>I have never had someone wire me money (always going the other way image).
    Do you have to provide your bank account number or does your bank provide some other number to receive funds that does not expose your personal account number? >>

you have to provide routing number, account number that you want funds deposited in. >>

Also, whether it is a checking or savings account and the Name of your bank. >>

Jeez. How about a steal me sign as well. >>

Same info when one writes a check, and when writing a check they also get a signature.

Just sayin. image

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So...a co-worker just walks in and hands me an OPEN set...from a box of five that I told her [repeatedly] not to open under any circumctances!

But anyhow, in one of the sets, a coin was completely out of the capsule and banging around loose between the display tray and the COA area underneath (along with the two silica gels packs). So I had to carefully retrieve that one with a clean handkerchief because I don't have gloves with me.

Additionally, all 5 sets had at least one capsule floating around, with others partially dislodged. And the coins were inserted into the holes in somewhat random order. So I reassembled them in the order listed on the COA (seemd like the logical thing to do). But anyhow, there are going to be LOTS of damaged/non-perfect coins due to careless packaging. And the shame is that the capsules all fit nice and snugly into their holes...if only they had been inserted and pushed down correctly, this wouldn't be much of an issue.

And PS...is exposure to silica gel long term a problem? Each case contains two small packs.
  • Options
    REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer to keep a set in the original packaging over a slabbed 69 set. I believe it will turn out to be no value added by grading unless
    you get a 70. So consider the trip to slabville like a lottery ticket.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best price I have found on shipping boxes for those selling sets is with

ULINE.

Boxes are on sale .53 each, min. order is 25. Make sure the sale price shows up in your shopping cart, if not go to sale items and select the box. Size is 15x10x4 and will hold the blue sleeved set box as well as bubble wrapped individually graded coins. Earlier post by someone says Large flat rate box will work with set box inserted diagonally, but it cost 14.95 to mail the flat rate box. Much cheaper to mail U-line's box priority.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Best price I have found on shipping boxes for those selling sets is with

ULINE.

Boxes are on sale .53 each, min. order is 25. Make sure the sale price shows up in your shopping cart, if not go to sale items and select the box. Size is 15x10x4 and will hold the blue sleeved set box as well as bubble wrapped individually graded coins. Earlier post by someone says Large flat rate box will work with set box inserted diagonally, but it cost 14.95 to mail the flat rate box. Much cheaper to mail U-line's box priority. >>

The ULINE shipping on 25 will probably cost more than the boxes. I ordered 50 18x12x12 boxes last year and the shipping was as much as the boxes.....just a heads-up.
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

ULINE.

Boxes are on sale .53 each, min. order is 25. Make sure the sale price shows up in your shopping cart, if not go to sale items and select the box. Size is 15x10x4 and will hold the blue sleeved set box as well as bubble wrapped individually graded coins. Earlier post by someone says Large flat rate box will work with set box inserted diagonally, but it cost 14.95 to mail the flat rate box. Much cheaper to mail U-line's box priority. >>

That may have been me, but I didn't say large "flat rate", just large priority box which is 12x12x8. It's not a flat rate box, and I've been shipping for $8, depending on where it's going.
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So...a co-worker just walks in and hands me an OPEN set...from a box of five that I told her [repeatedly] not to open under any circumctances!

But anyhow, in one of the sets, a coin was completely out of the capsule and banging around loose between the display tray and the COA area underneath (along with the two silica gels packs). So I had to carefully retrieve that one with a clean handkerchief because I don't have gloves with me.

Additionally, all 5 sets had at least one capsule floating around, with others partially dislodged. And the coins were inserted into the holes in somewhat random order. So I reassembled them in the order listed on the COA (seemd like the logical thing to do). But anyhow, there are going to be LOTS of damaged/non-perfect coins due to careless packaging. And the shame is that the capsules all fit nice and snugly into their holes...if only they had been inserted and pushed down correctly, this wouldn't be much of an issue.

And PS...is exposure to silica gel long term a problem? Each case contains two small packs. >>

I am curious to see how the packaging problems affect the grades, that along with spotting was a factor I considered before selling my sets on the BST. I do plan on buying the 2 key coins after the fact.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes, selling at $1199.00 for a set.

I called MCM yesterday afternoon and they were paying $3500.00 for a SEALED box of 5 sets which is $700.00 each. So they will buy at $700.00 and sell at $1199.00 which represents a 71% markup. And I assume their price of $1199.00 is for an OPEN set, so not even comparing apples to apples?

Nothing like tight spreads image >>

And you bought from the Mint at what price and are selling for how much? My markup has been 150%+ based upon sales and I don't have the overhead MCM has. Even if you sold to MCM at $700, you had a 133% markup.

Looks like MCM's markup is more than fair.
  • Options
    Does anyone know how long it takes before the order shows up on the PCGS account after its picked up from the POBox ?
  • Options

<< <i>

ULINE.

The ULINE shipping on 25 will probably cost more than the boxes. I ordered 50 18x12x12 boxes last year and the shipping was as much as the boxes.....just a heads-up. >>

Correct. 25, .53 cent boxes are 1.11 each delivered to me.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uline shipping charge for those 25 boxes for me is $24 .... NO THANK YOU. I live within 300 miles from them. I hate to see what it would cost going to the West Coast
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

<< <i>

ULINE.

That may have been me, but I didn't say large "flat rate", just large priority box which is 12x12x8. It's not a flat rate box, and I've been shipping for $8, depending on where it's going. >>

USPS also has a free priority "shoe box" sized 14.375 x 7.5 x 5.125 that works very well for the set boxes and ships for $7.98 (on-line postage discount) plus extras.

USPS FREE prioirty shoe box order page

- Nick Giambruno

• Options

<< <i>Uline shipping charge for those 25 boxes for me is $24 .... NO THANK YOU. I live within 300 miles from them. I hate to see what it would cost going to the West Coast >>

I'm 325 miles away and shipping to me is only $13.51. I'm going with the Free priority "shoe" boxes.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    <<< And you bought from the Mint at what price and are selling for how much? My markup has been 150%+ based upon sales and I don't have the overhead MCM has. Even if you sold to MCM at $700, you had a 133% markup. >>>

Completely different comparison, not even remotely close.
  • Options
    If you need something immediate, I bought my boxes from the UPS Store, $3.25 for a 15x10x4 brown box. Single sets fit real nice, with room for bubble wrap and peanuts around the mint set. I don't see why people should be quibbling over a few dollars based on the money you are making. USPS may have some freebies but I believe all have to be ordered online which takes time to get them delivered to you.
  • Options
    I just dropped my sets off with PCGS at the Santa Clara show. If you're doing likewise and you have an empty PCGS blue box they can use, you should bring it with you. The PCGS guy said he didn't have enough blue boxes to transport the sets he expects to receive. I suspect they'll be leaving the show much earlier than expected with a full boat of sets.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options

<< <i><<< And you bought from the Mint at what price and are selling for how much? My markup has been 150%+ based upon sales and I don't have the overhead MCM has. Even if you sold to MCM at $700, you had a 133% markup. >>>

Completely different comparison, not even remotely close. >>

We are talking about the selling the same set aren't we???????????????????????????? I bought sealed sets and sold open box sets for over a 150% markup.

Thanks for your explaination. If was well worth reading. NOT!

But, like they say, "If you don't like the price, move on."

• Options
    <<< Completely different comparison, not even remotely close. >>

We are talking about the selling the same set aren't we????????????????????????????

Thanks for your explaination. If was well worth reading. NOT!

But, like they say, "If you don't like the price, move on." >>>

Yes we are speaking of the same exact set, however the flaw in your logic and comparison lies where you compare what an individual purchases a set for at issue price from the mint for investment purposes and capital gains via the sets current market value vs. what a dealers buy/sell spread is on a given day. As I said, completely different set of circumstances.
  • Options
    92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭
    My order of 5 sets arrived and the vertical seam in the shipping box was unglued so that you can see in the box.. A pretty wimpy box for what they are being pressed into service for. I'm sure UPS gorillas didn't help matters.There's no way this one can be considered a sealed set. No huge loss but that means I might as well just open it up to make sure eveything's there.
  • Options
    92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭
    I just weighed the package and it's a shade over 15 lbs. so I guess at least everything's still in there.
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now this is interesting. I just checked my order status for my box of 5 sets. The status is still "OK" with 25 coins, but...a new line has been added today for 1 coin with "Free" as the Submission type. It has the same Submission number as my original submission, but a different Order number. I can only assume that PCGS is retroactively applying the CC Special to my order, or??? I had assumed from all the previous chatter that the CC Special was only good on an order with EXACTLY five Moderns. Has this happened to anyone else's order?

*** Never Mind! I just dug a little deeper and the new line is for the return of the mint packaging. They have never done this before. Maybe because the OGP is fairly substantial they had to handle it in a more formal fashion...
  • Options

<< <i>Now this is interesting. I just checked my order status for my box of 5 sets. The status is still "OK" with 25 coins, but...a new line has been added today for 1 coin with "Free" as the Submission type. It has the same Submission number as my original submission, but a different Order number. I can only assume that PCGS is retroactively applying the CC Special to my order, or??? I had assumed from all the previous chatter that the CC Special was only good on an order with EXACTLY five Moderns. Has this happened to anyone else's order? >>

that's the order for the return of your original packaging if you requested it... believe me, you don't get your 1 free on an order of 25.... but if you had only sent in 5 you would get 1 free... image
  • Options
    Just some random facts which to me are kind of interesting. I have been selling some broken up sets. Obviously the RP is the most expensive coin out of this set, but on every auction I have had, I am getting more than almost twice the viewers for the "S" uncirculated coin. Also more people tracking the "S" coin auctions by a good margin. By far the most people viewing an item are for the "3 piece" sets with box and COA I have put up for sale after selling the two monster coins. Obviously that is because there are viewer of those up for sale, but a ton of people looking at those auctions. I was mainly just surprised at so many more people checking out the "S" auctions over the "RP" auctions, but the price still pretty much a hundred less. You would think they would be more close to the same. Selling in this fashion has netted approx 900 per set.
  • Options
    A friend of mine who got in for one single set just had another one shipped to him. He did get charged twice, but he definitely did not place two separate orders. The only e-mail he received for this second set was the shipping confirmation one. Needless to say, he's quite happy, and this just adds to the debacle that is the US Mint.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Now this is interesting. I just checked my order status for my box of 5 sets. The status is still "OK" with 25 coins, but...a new line has been added today for 1 coin with "Free" as the Submission type. It has the same Submission number as my original submission, but a different Order number. I can only assume that PCGS is retroactively applying the CC Special to my order, or??? I had assumed from all the previous chatter that the CC Special was only good on an order with EXACTLY five Moderns. Has this happened to anyone else's order? >>

that's the order for the return of your original packaging if you requested it... believe me, you don't get your 1 free on an order of 25.... but if you had only sent in 5 you would get 1 free... image >>

So, can you send in a sealed box of one and another sealed box of two inside one shipping box with two different order forms filled out and get the single set graded for free?
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Uline shipping charge for those 25 boxes for me is $24 .... NO THANK YOU. I live within 300 miles from them. I hate to see what it would cost going to the West Coast >>

I'm 325 miles away and shipping to me is only $13.51. I'm going with the Free priority "shoe" boxes. >>

Likewise & thanks for the link.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Going to my local club's show tomorrow. It is a 2 day show with about 40 dealers. I am bringing a friends 2 sets to sell for him. They are in the original box and sealed
    with original tape but he removed the shipping labels (told him not to but....). What is a reasonable price to expect from a dealer for the 2 sets? Thank you.

• Options
    Interesting .... I would not buy a box with no evidence of who it was from nor the date it was shipped...maybe that's just me but the no label thingy would be a turn off....How the heck do you know your buying this set and not a random object taped in a box????
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

that's the order for the return of your original packaging if you requested it... believe me, you don't get your 1 free on an order of 25.... but if you had only sent in 5 you would get 1 free... image >>

So, can you send in a sealed box of one and another sealed box of two inside one shipping box with two different order forms filled out and get the single set graded for free? >>

Most likely. But when you split the order on two order forms, the extra return shipping charge + handling fee you'll pay is much more than the savings of the CC special free grading. Effectively, the CC special free grading is now worthless unless you have an order of exactly 5 coins (no more, no less).

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>So...a co-worker just walks in and hands me an OPEN set...from a box of five that I told her [repeatedly] not to open under any circumctances!

And PS...is exposure to silica gel long term a problem? Each case contains two small packs. >>

I am curious to see how the packaging problems affect the grades, that along with spotting was a factor I considered before selling my sets on the BST. I do plan on buying the 2 key coins after the fact. >>

Maybe they'll grade them GENUINE PD for Package Damaged!!
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    Thanks illini420

I didn't have time to run the math but figured it wouldn't work out.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

If they don't get shaken loose in the first shipping they certainly will in the second.

They are just very poorly packaged.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Going to my local club's show tomorrow. It is a 2 day show with about 40 dealers. I am bringing a friends 2 sets to sell for him. They are in the original box and sealed
    with original tape but he removed the shipping labels (told him not to but....). What is a reasonable price to expect from a dealer for the 2 sets? Thank you. >>

You tell someone NOT to do something and they do it anyway? I would have them go to the local coin show and sell the sets themselves, or I would give them $500 each for the sets.
    Next time, maybe they would listen.

I wouldn't expect a local show to have anyone willing to pay up for these. Good luck with that.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Going to my local club's show tomorrow. It is a 2 day show with about 40 dealers. I am bringing a friends 2 sets to sell for him. They are in the original box and sealed
    with original tape but he removed the shipping labels (told him not to but....). What is a reasonable price to expect from a dealer for the 2 sets? Thank you. >>

PM:sent oh thought that this was the BST image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sell them as open sets=$1,600 for two.
  • Options
    ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
    Isn't $800 a piece kinda on the low end for these? MCM and Silvertowne are selling for substantially higher.
    Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-
  • Options

<< <i>Isn't $800 a piece kinda on the low end for these? MCM and Silvertowne are selling for substantially higher. >>

It should be noted that MCM lowered their opened set price $100 this afternoon. They're back to $1099. ....It should also be noted that John from MCM posted in this thread a few pages ago and stated they had enough of them and would not be paying as much for them.
  • Options
    commacomma Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Isn't $800 a piece kinda on the low end for these? MCM and Silvertowne are selling for substantially higher. >>

It should be noted that MCM lowered their opened set price $100 this afternoon. They're back to $1099. ....It should also be noted that John from MCM posted in this thread a few pages ago and stated they had enough of them and would not be paying as much for them. >>

Might finally have peaked and coming back to level off...
  • Options
    scotty1419scotty1419 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭
    There's a big difference between selling prices on ebay, the actual amount the seller receives, and what kind of offers you'd get at a local show. I wouldn't have high expectations for them in that situation.

$800 would be good given the current situation - to me.
  • Options
    Has someone seen the new thread about the cost of shipping the OGP for the 25th Anniv Set? It will be $30/set. For a box of 5, that will add $150 to the cost. Seem exorbitant!! This affects submissions beginning 11/18/11.

CORRECTION!!! This $20 charge is for a box of 5. I read that wrong and want to make this correction. $150 would be for five box of 5 orders. I think this fee is very reasonable given the storage costs and weight of the OGP packing.
    Green neophyte
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Has someone seen the new thread about the cost of shipping the OGP for the 25th Anniv Set? It will be $30/set. For a box of 5, that will add $150 to the cost. Seem exorbitant!! This affects submissions beginning 11/18/11. >>

20 dollars for one or two sets and 30 for 3 to 5 sets.............Enjoy image FOR PACKAGES POSTMARKED AFTER 11/18
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I previously commented that I thought PCGS already charged for returning shipping boxes and I am surprised they did not from the start. I have no comment as to the actual fee structure though as I have no idea what costs are exactly involved in the process.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Return of mint packaging has always been included as part of the First Strike fee...

I sent my sets in last week w/o paying the FS fees and was surprised to learn that there was still no charge to return the mint packaging. Looks like they decided against that policy. Going to have some pretty upset folks who mail packages out tomorrow unaware of this sudden change. Since prepayment won't be included, all of their packaging will not be returned and PCGS apparently won't take phone calls on the matter. Just a bit harsh!
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Has someone seen the new thread about the cost of shipping the OGP for the 25th Anniv Set? It will be $30/set. For a box of 5, that will add $150 to the cost. Seem exorbitant!! This affects submissions beginning 11/18/11. >>

No, you need to go back and re-read. Don said that was for "Five sets of five packages will cost $150."
    That's 5 sets of 5 packages....not 1 box of 5 sets.
    $30 covers from 3 to 5 sets (ie...usually 1 box). "$30 – Three to five 25th Anniversary Mint packages"

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>

No, you need to go back and re-read. Don said that was for "Five sets of five packages will cost $150."
    That's 5 sets of 5 packages....not 1 box of 5 sets.
    $30 covers from 3 to 5 sets (ie...usually 1 box). "$30 – Three to five 25th Anniversary Mint packages" >>

I did misread it. I thought it was very high, but given the correct interpretation, it is very fair. Sorry to all for the confusion.
    Green neophyte
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Return of mint packaging has always been included as part of the First Strike fee...

I sent my sets in last week w/o paying the FS fees and was surprised to learn that there was still no charge to return the mint packaging. Looks like they decided against that policy. Going to have some pretty upset folks who mail packages out tomorrow unaware of this sudden change. Since prepayment won't be included, all of their packaging will not be returned and PCGS apparently won't take phone calls on the matter. Just a bit harsh! >>

I don't do the grading game at all other than buying some slabs here or there. This announcement made me go hmmm.....
  • Options
    SNMANSNMAN Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    Positive Transactions with: justindan; Drunner; Segoja, Dragon, fivecents, Connecticoin, WTCG, gsa1fan, abitofthisabitofthat; commoncents05;Broadstruck; and ......more

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file