Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

25th Anniversary ASE set

Comments

• Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Kudos to the seller for disclosing the imperfection on the perfection. image >>

If he didn't, the buyer likely would have have returned it and possibly even neg'd him.
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options

<< <i>There will be thousands if not tens of thousands of 70's.

The bottom line reason is 5 per HH.

A 1 per HH would distribute the coins evenly over the population, many of which would not grade them.

As it is, the majority of sets went to flippers and dealers who are grading them.

The pops already show 300+ 70's per coin at pcgs and it's only the first or second week. This will easily increase to thousands.

I'm certain NGC is well over that.

One Hundred thousand sets is a lot, especially if most are being graded. >>

The wildcat is all the opened sets that were from box of 5 orders. There were a boatload of them sold that way. This will limit the sets that are eligible to be graded as a whole with the 25th Anniversary label. That being said there will be thousands of graded sets. I believe, as was the case with the 2006 Anniversary sets, that PCGS will command a premium over NGCs. It will be interesting to see how the dust settles.
    Green neophyte
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There were probably a lot of folks who bought these with no intention to flip them until they saw what they were bringing on eBay, etc. and either sold them for windfall profits or submitted them with the hope of doing the same.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There will be thousands if not tens of thousands of 70's.

The bottom line reason is 5 per HH.

A 1 per HH would distribute the coins evenly over the population, many of which would not grade them.

As it is, the majority of sets went to flippers and dealers who are grading them.

The pops already show 300+ 70's per coin at pcgs and it's only the first or second week. This will easily increase to thousands.

I'm certain NGC is well over that.

One Hundred thousand sets is a lot, especially if most are being graded. >>

You have to also remember the 300 70's your looking at were dealers not collectors, it is gonna be at least 10 more days till the collectors start getting grades back, Than will see where the pops may go. I think the dealers end up with many more 70's than the collectors with a guy like me submitting 3 sets and the dealers submitting 100 sets it only makes sense they have a much better odds.with the 70's . Enjoy image I do believe there will be those very disappointed in the grades and maybe me included as we all submitted blindfolded and the man already said they found coins all over the boxes. Good luck to all who have submitted..............
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    In order to correctly interpret the price action of 25 ASE sets, we should not ignore the price action of SLV. Given SLV's 6-7% drop last week and the huge initial supply from people maxed out their cc, the price action of 25 ASE has so far been much stronger than what I expected. In other words, in terms of silver bullion, the price action of 25 ASE set has been even stronger than we observed in termsd of Fiat currency.
    To the free man, the country is the collection of individuals who compose it, not something over and above them. -M. Friedman
  • Options
    The W burnished and non-m/m 25th set coins that are showing in the PCGS population report had to be submitted blind to get the set designation. So I would expect those ratios to hold. The S, proof and RP are not in the pop report yet.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options

<< <i>The W burnished and non-m/m 25th set coins that are showing in the PCGS population report had to be submitted blind to get the set designation. So I would expect those ratios to hold. The S, proof and RP are not in the pop report yet. >>

Agreed but for every 1 set we send in there sending 10.. Plus this was just in coin world and thought it was interesting. Mint officials have officially announced how the american eagle silver bullion coin in the set will be tallied in the mints mintage records. Michael white said nov 10 that the 100,000 bullion coins found in the anniversary set will not be reported in that bullion numbers on our website or in our annual report. The website and the annual report will reflect coins sold to authorized Purchasers The Bullion coins in the set are being sold as numismatic items and therefore will be reported that way. Enjoy image

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

What kind of enlarged image is this?

Link
  • Options
    LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image

What kind of enlarged image is this?

Link >>

Low resolution.image
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• Options

<< <i>Kudos to the seller for disclosing the imperfection on the perfection. image >>

Thanks! image
    Obviously with the number of coins PCGS goes through, they're going to make a mistake every now and then. I've been dealing in modern coins for just over 11 years now in some capacity, and I see stuff like that occasionally. I think the important point is that I see it a lot less with PCGS coins. Other services grade a lot more crap as 70s, which is why they're not worth as much as PCGS coins.
  • Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    so what's up with the different labels ?

I'm starting to see the 'original' flag and gold First strike show up, as opposed to the black labels we've been seeing.

Why the difference?

• Options

<< <i>Weird note: I was just browsing completed sales on Flea Bay and noticed this:

PGGS sets sold: 17 ALL were MS/PF 70's

NGC sets sold: 20 MS/PF 69's and 34 MS/PF 70's

Where are the PCGS 69's? Are they selling the 70's for quick cash before the POP's come out??

I doubt all the sets graded 70.....

Edited to add: EEKS! of the next 50 (that's FIFTY) sets for sale as of 1025am (both TPG's combined) 47 (that's FORTY SEVEN) are MS/PF 70 sets.....3 are MS/PF 69 >>

I pre-sold most of my 69 sets to my customers privately, but didn't pre-sale any 70s not knowing how many I'd have or what to charge for them. Turns out I charged too little for the 69 sets, but I'm not complaining about that. Point is- you'd see a lot more 69 set listings from me had I not pre-sold them.
  • Options

<< <i>so what's up with the different labels ?

I'm starting to see the 'original' flag and gold First strike show up, as opposed to the black labels we've been seeing.

Why the difference? >>

The black labels are for those who submitted using bulk submission and the others are for the rest of us who sent our sets in a box of 5. I really like the Flag First Strike labels better.
    Green neophyte
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The W burnished and non-m/m 25th set coins that are showing in the PCGS population report had to be submitted blind to get the set designation. So I would expect those ratios to hold. The S, proof and RP are not in the pop report yet. >>

Agreed but for every 1 set we send in there sending 10.. Plus this was just in coin world and thought it was interesting. Mint officials have officially announced how the american eagle silver bullion coin in the set will be tallied in the mints mintage records. Michael white said nov 10 that the 100,000 bullion coins found in the anniversary set will not be reported in that bullion numbers on our website or in our annual report. The website and the annual report will reflect coins sold to authorized Purchasers The Bullion coins in the set are being sold as numismatic items and therefore will be reported that way. Enjoy image >>

I'm not feeling well, so I may have misinterpreted this: Does this mean then the Mint considers the 100K coins in the set UNIQUE? Which means there are 3 keys in the set? Even from an official position? Or, ESPECIALLY from an official position?

If so...the speculation the price elevator has stopped are a bit premature...
    ASE Addict...but oh so poor!
  • Options

<< <i>so what's up with the different labels ?

Why the difference? >>

There are two black labels, one with the Mercati signature and one without. They are bulk submission labels. The former is $250/set; the latter is $200/set. Though I think they might be discounted for dealers, not sure.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,377 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I expect the upcoming stampede to unload them will be greater than the mad rush to acquire them.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    I'm glad I unloaded all but 3 sets of mine before the rush.
  • Options
    Calm before the storm........for those that have written the prices off as peaked...........you ain't seen nothin yet!!!.........more and more that were not aware of this set are suddenly becoming or taking notice of the same......Hold on!!
  • Options
    commacomma Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I expect the upcoming stampede to unload them will be greater than the mad rush to acquire them. >>

But aren't most unloaded at this point?
  • Options
    I want to thank HSN for taking up 500 sets to sell (300 - 69s & 200 - 70s) graded by ANACS. I know it only represents 1/2 of 1 percent, but I will thank them anyway. Thanks Mike M, the "Coin King."
    Green neophyte
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Calm before the storm........for those that have written the prices off as peaked...........you ain't seen nothin yet!!!.........more and more that were not aware of this set are suddenly becoming or taking notice of the same......Hold on!! >>

Also, the number of eBay listings for the set is beginning to drop. IMO this should be positive for the price.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I expect the upcoming stampede to unload them will be greater than the mad rush to acquire them. >>

But aren't most unloaded at this point? >>

To a lot of flppers who hope to profit on a re-flip. Who else would pay $4K for a box of five?

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    After a price drop they could see a revival, as was pointed out in another thread, similar to the UHR.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For everyone panicking about the "high percentage" of 70s...and 69s...isn't it possible that most people indicated a minimal grade of 69...or return unslabbed? That would explain a lot, especially as many big dealers and experts [like us] sent in the majority of the frst wave we're now seeing on eBay.
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

To a lot of flppers who hope to profit on a re-flip. Who else would pay $4K for a box of five? >>

Just spoke to a customer service rep ATS who said they have 10,000 sets in line for grading.

Do you think 10,000 seperate collectors summited them just to have a graded set for their collection? I don't.
    When these hit the market the prices will move.

Mercury
    Collecting Peace Dollars and Modern Crap.
  • Options
    Still no movement on the later order #'s for about a week now. Any hope for 38387xxx?
  • Options
    taxmadtaxmad Posts: 967 ✭✭✭✭
    PCGS FS MS69 set sold for $999 on bid...

• Options

<< <i>...isn't it possible that most people indicated a minimal grade of 69...or return unslabbed? >>

I suppose a few people might have but they'd lose their grading fees and the 25th Anniversary Set designation in doing so..........
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    <<PCGS FS MS69 set sold for $999 on bid...

999.00>>

Blue label. Blue labels appear to be selling for less $$$, about the same as NGC 69 sets.

Mercanti label 69 sets sold for $1125, $1200 + $1250 so far. Premium for the Mercanti label?

Just an observation. Mercanti label premium might be a trend.
  • Options
    taxmadtaxmad Posts: 967 ✭✭✭✭
    We those labels only available to dealers?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

To a lot of flppers who hope to profit on a re-flip. Who else would pay $4K for a box of five? >>

Just spoke to a customer service rep ATS who said they have 10,000 sets in line for grading.

Do you think 10,000 seperate collectors summited them just to have a graded set for their collection? I don't.
    When these hit the market the prices will move.

Mercury >>

Supply vs. Demand will determine which way those prices will move. There will not be much more demand than there is now. There will, however, be a large increase in available supply as the flippers take them to ebay.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options

<< <i><<PCGS FS MS69 set sold for $999 on bid...

999.00>>

Blue label. Blue labels appear to be selling for less $$$, about the same as NGC 69 sets.

Mercanti label 69 sets sold for $1125, $1200 + $1250 so far. Premium for the Mercanti label?

Just an observation. Mercanti label premium might be a trend. >>

The black stripe labels are only available for bulk submissions. It's unclear whether it's dealers only or not.

I figured the black stripe labels would get a premium over the blue labels. I think the fee for black stripe label without FS is $40/set more than blue label with FS.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i><<PCGS FS MS69 set sold for $999 on bid...

999.00>>

Just an observation. Mercanti label premium might be a trend. >>

The black stripe labels are only available for bulk submissions. It's unclear whether it's dealers only or not.

I figured the black stripe labels would get a premium over the blue labels. I think the fee for black stripe label without FS is $40/set more than blue label with FS. >>

I prefer the Flag FS label anyway. The black labels look that they belong on the tombstone of a deceased coin collector!
  • Options
    fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭

<< <i>I prefer the Flag FS label anyway. >>

what does the non FS label look like?

any one have those in hand yet?
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭

<< <i> prefer the Flag FS label anyway. The black labels look that they belong on the tombstone of a deceased coin collector! >>

Boy do I agree with that! image
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭✭
    Return of the of boxes from PCGS just went up:

The 25th Anniversary program has been a smashing success for the Mint. Many of you have already submitted your sets for grading. Most submitters of the 25th Anniversary sets ask to have their Mint set packaging returned. Unfortunately this is placing severe demands on PCGS. The size and weight of the Mint set packaging requires that it be returned separately from the coins resulting in extraordinary handling and cost. This has caused us to institute the following policy.

· Effective for all submissions postmarked after November 18, 2011 PCGS will charge a return shipping fee for 25th Anniversary Mint set packaging.
    · Return shipping fees must be included in the original submission.
    · Return shipping fee for up to two 25th Anniversary sets is $20. That is two Mint sets for $20. Return shipping fee for one set is $20 as well.
    · Return shipping fee for three to five 25th Anniversary Mint sets is $30. Any number of Mint sets from three to five will cost $30 to be returned.
    · Return shipping costs for over five 25th Anniversary Mint sets will be based on the above costs. (ex. Five shipping boxes of five Mint set packages will cost $150.)
    · Mint set packaging will not be returned for submissions received without prepayment. We will not accept phone calls requesting shipment after your submission has been received.

Thanks for your participation in this program. Good luck with your 25th Anniversary sets.

Thanks,

Don Willis
    President, PCGS

• Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    Yup. To bad for the poor soles who shipped today or last Saturday. I guess they are SOL on getting their mint packaging back.
  • Options
    johnravjohnrav Posts: 230 ✭✭
    ha, our host just sent an email, that 'this set is eligible for FS' and its only another $18 per coin. (der)

Nope, the form was right, none of that for me... Nice try though...
  • Options
    That was announced last week and has it's own thread at the top of the page...
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That was announced last week and has it's own thread at the top of the page... >>

But I am sure every member of PCGS don't read these forums everyday or even weekly, if at all. So, the email would be their first notification of this change and they may have shipped their sets off Saturday. What would you had though if after you place your order with the mint, they came back and said because of the demand, they were now charging $599.99 per set, retroactive to the day before they went on sale.

It is more of a timing issue on Don's part. He should have at least sent the email out to all members a couple days BEFORE it went into effect, not two days after.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    So at what market saturation will PCGS 70 sets sell for $1300-$1500. If that happens a new market for the flippers buying these up at those prices? And would dealers really sell them at that price?
  • Options
    i just had my grades posted. 5 out of 25 coins graded 70. 1 each of the money coins and 3 of the W uncirc. all others are 68-69`s. i heard no rattling in my mint box before shipping it out.
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>i just had my grades posted. 5 out of 25 coins graded 70. 1 each of the money coins and 3 of the W uncirc. all others are 68-69`s. i heard no rattling in my mint box before shipping it out. >>

Mine just posted, too. 6 out of 25 coins graded 70: 2 Rev Proof, 2 Burnished W, 1 S, 1 PR. The rest were all 69s except for a lone PR67. I also heard no rattling before shipping out the box. So, no full 70 set. Gonna have to do some horse trading on the BST!!!
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    Did you guys pay for faster grading?

-Paul
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Did you guys pay for faster grading? >>

No, regular processing. They arrived at PCGS last Monday and appeared in the system on Tuesday. Pretty quick turnaround, but I would have waited another few days for a few more 70s...image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Did you guys pay for faster grading? >>

No, regular processing. They arrived at PCGS last Monday and appeared in the system on Tuesday. Pretty quick turnaround, but I would have waited another few days for a few more 70s...image >>

Wow Mine were in there on monday and in there system on monday too and no grades posted only sent 3 sets and the amount of the 70's you both got is not a great sign. Others have said over 50 percent, well this shows its not even close to 50 percent. I am starting not to feel so good...........Enjoy image

Link to My Registry Set.

• Options

<< <i>Did you guys pay for faster grading?

-Paul >>

i did the bulk submission. minimum of 5 sets. i went for the mercanti label and this is done at express level. they were entered on 11/14 and are shipped already.
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Did you guys pay for faster grading?

-Paul >>

i did the bulk submission. minimum of 5 sets. i went for the mercanti label and this is done at express level. they were entered on 11/14 and are shipped already. >>

I called this morning and was told turnaround on the bulk labels is 30 business days (6 weeks!). image

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    I sent in 3 sets and put the 2 special coins from each on express...got 1 70 out of the 6 coins.
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file