Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

25th Anniversary ASE set

Comments

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Hey Gang, I see lots of references here about shipping your "precious" 25th sets to PCGS, or buyers, etc. via Express USPS Mail. WARNING: USPS Express Mail Insurance may NOT cover your coins in case of loss or damage. See Section 4.2 here: http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/609.htm#1097134 "4.2c For negotiable items, currency, or bullion, the maximum indemnity is $15.00. " 4.2b references merchandise with higher limits, but is subject to some interpretation. Are you willing to take that chance? If there are any USPS experts out there, please feel free to correct me if wrong. I ALWAYS use First Class or Priority Registered Mail for my high end coin shipments for this reason. >>

False alarm. This subject has been discussed ad nauseum many times in multiple threads. Express Mail covers numismatic coins up to $5000. These are not considered "negotiable items, currency or bullion"; they are collectible coins and are valued at market value (whatever that may be) >>

Five sets are coming to me via UPS apparently, weight 15.4 lbs. Is there a weight limit for sending Registered Mail? >>

If there is a limit it is at least 70 pounds.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options

<< <i>moving funds out of your pay-pal account is another way to prevent this type of charge (although PP will hold your account hostage for the money >>

Won't work...they will reverse the sale and if your account does not have the cash they will debit the bank account on file.

Re: empty box claim...that is not the problem. It is when they claim there was some other order inside instead of what they ordered...mint/pf set etc. They will state you mixed up your boxes by mistake....

I just can't take the chance....no sealed box sales for me
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Those of you selling sealed boxes on Ebay; How are you going to protect yourself from the scammers that will open the box and then claim the contents is damaged and try to return it as damaged or SNAD after they cherry pick the coins they want?

Paypal/ebay almost always sides with the buyer on SNAD cases. >>

I've got it real clear in my auction(s)...let me know if you see any flaws.

Please note that some people have reported these packages coming directly from the mint with the coins not seated in their packaging. I am NOT responsible for this and I CANNOT guarantee anything since I am NOT opening these boxes. You can be assured that I will handle them with care but what happens before they got to me and what happens after they leave my possession is out of my control.

Also have NO return policy. Now, if I was selling opened boxes, I would surely have a return policy. However, selling something sight unseen is asking for trouble if you offer a return policy. >>

If the buyer says the coins were out of their capsules and damaged Ebay will side with the buyer and refund payment. It doesn't mean they HAVE to be out of the capsules but that will be the excuse for buyer's remorse...sealed box is irrelevant.
    If one is really paranoid the buyer can say there was a proof set inside and return it for full refund....now THAT would suck... >>

Yep, this set could be a scammer's delight. Does anyone know if PP is holding up $$$ from the sale of these? While it is true that you aren't responsible for what the mint put into the unopened boxes, you also have no proof of what you sent either.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Hey Gang, I see lots of references here about shipping your "precious" 25th sets to PCGS, or buyers, etc. via Express USPS Mail. WARNING: USPS Express Mail Insurance may NOT cover your coins in case of loss or damage. See Section 4.2 here: http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/609.htm#1097134 "4.2c For negotiable items, currency, or bullion, the maximum indemnity is $15.00. " 4.2b references merchandise with higher limits, but is subject to some interpretation. Are you willing to take that chance? If there are any USPS experts out there, please feel free to correct me if wrong. I ALWAYS use First Class or Priority Registered Mail for my high end coin shipments for this reason. >>

False alarm. This subject has been discussed ad nauseum many times in multiple threads. Express Mail covers numismatic coins up to $5000. These are not considered "negotiable items, currency or bullion"; they are collectible coins and are valued at market value (whatever that may be) >>

Five sets are coming to me via UPS apparently, weight 15.4 lbs. Is there a weight limit for sending Registered Mail? >>

If there is a limit it is at least 70 pounds. >>

Ah, that's good to know. Thanks. I ship a lot of coins but most weigh far less than five sets image
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    Trust me, it is not worth it to send a $4000 unopened package to an ebay buyer. It gives a paypal rep every reason in the world to side with the buyer, the rep with no coin experience will say to himself, "yeah I could see how something like this could happen, the seller didn't even open the package to see what was inside, so how does he know they were really inside or there must have been some accidental mixup at the Mint, so it is up to the seller to get his money back from the Mint. I have to refund this guys $4000. " The liklihood of this happen is yes unlikely, but not that unlikely. I've talked to quite of few ebay sellers and I've heard my fair share of paypal and ebay horror stories.
  • Options
    RTSRTS Posts: 1,408
    My administrative-assistant is thrilled to death or should I say tickled-pink...she got on the Internet on the 27th and purchased 15 sets in a flash and
    locked in a profit of $1,500 by the end of the day yesterday (11/10) and of course being a 23 year old young woman she promptly spent her entire
    profit online at Tiffanys and Bergdorf-Goodman...good for her...you're only young once.

Added: lucky girl sold another sealed box of five sets(11/13) for another $1,500 in profit but curiosity got the better of her and she opened the third sealed box.

• Options
    Just a thought! Maybe this forum is giving scammers tips on how to screw a seller........OK maybe they have it all figured out already........Hmmmmmmmmmm
  • Options
    EggerEgger Posts: 418 ✭✭
    I am going to gamble with grading with my 2 boxes of 5. the singles on ebay.
  • Options

<< <i>Just a thought! Maybe this forum is giving scammers tips on how to screw a seller........OK maybe they have it all figured out already........Hmmmmmmmmmm >>

I really believe that the scammers could give a rat's butt about this forum....they probably have their own scammer's forum they refer to. It's not the true coin people that would pull this..it's the low life losers of the world
  • Options
    oops forgot.....

kind of a confusing auction but it does say what what for sale....nice price

NGC PF69 RP
  • Options
    Hooray!! My order placed at 2:06pm EST was shipped this morning. Order# is 38345XXX.
    Green neophyte
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    2011 25th Anniversary Silver Eagle 5 Coin Set (A25) NGC PF70 MS70 Early Releases
    First NGC 70 25th Anniversary Set on eBay; IN STOCK!!!

MCM
  • Options
    Average in-hand raw set on eBay yesterday brought $760, high $899. Random sample of a few sets sold 11/11.
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Question...with the federal holiday, has anyone had an actual order status change on the Mint website between last night and today?
  • Options

<< <i>2011 25th Anniversary Silver Eagle 5 Coin Set (A25) NGC PF70 MS70 Early Releases
    First NGC 70 25th Anniversary Set on eBay; IN STOCK!!!

MCM >>

Wow!! These guys must have a special arrangement with NGC. Orders started shipping on 11/9. MCM must have got them quicker. I think it is just one of many they will sell. It is just a teaser to guage how much someone is willing to pay. Next, will be a bunch of BINs once they determine the market price.
    Green neophyte
  • Options

<< <i>Question...with the federal holiday, has anyone had an actual order status change on the Mint website between last night and today? >>

Mine did. Yesterday it was "In stock and reserved". This morning it changed to shipped. Order# 38345xxx.
    Green neophyte
  • Options
    They are located at Sarasota, NGC is in the same city, walk to NGC paid 1 day grading fees and there is your set.
  • Options

<< <i>They are located at Sarasota, NGC is in the same city, walk to NGC paid 1 day grading fees and there is your set. >>

Nothing the everyday person can afford, right?
    Green neophyte
  • Options
    ClosedLoopClosedLoop Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    UPS man at my door, just delivered...image

order time 1:02 ET
    figglehorn
  • Options
    For the NGC chart of grading fees: $125.00 per coin, $625 per set.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>They are located at Sarasota, NGC is in the same city, walk to NGC paid 1 day grading fees and there is your set. >>

Nothing the everyday person can afford, right? >>

Isn't 1 day turn around like $100 per coin...?

My Ebay Auctions

Currently Listed: Nothing

Take Care, Dave
  • Options

Wow $125....

You would have to submit at least 25/50 coins to get a 70 set...

The no mint mark Bullion would kill ya...

Plus they had to be sealed from the mint so no high grading...

Things that make you go... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

My Ebay Auctions

Currently Listed: Nothing

Take Care, Dave
  • Options
    MCM is right across the street from NGC in Sarasota. Only dealers can do walk up submissions for these and I'm sure the get a bulk discount on submissions. Costly for one day turnaround but worth it to get first to market. Surprised they don't have them on their website yet but I'm guessing this auction to test what their real market value is.
  • Options

<< <i>Wow $125....

You would have to submit at least 25/50 coins to get a 70 set...

The no mint mark Bullion would kill ya...

Plus they had to be sealed from the mint so no high grading...

Things that make you go... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... >>

At a cost of $185 per graded coin, includes purchase cost of $60 per coin, they would have to get at least $1,050 for the 69 set to break even (I am factoring Ebay/paypal fees into the cost). I know, they will get that and then some. It must be nice to have deep pockets!
    Green neophyte
  • Options
    I just received tracking number for order 38347xxx ordered at 2:14 pm. My second order at 2:19 doesn't have tracking info yet.

Do single set orders come over night and require delivery signature?

Regards,
    KP

To all Vets: Thank you for your service!!
  • Options
    Methinks that MCM has a special deal with NGC and PCGS because of the quantity of coins they run through,,,,I can guarantee they didn't pay anywhere near $100/coin to get them graded...that would need $800/set of MS69's just to break even (yes the 1st ones will get that but not down the line a couple of weeks)
  • Options
    MCM has an auction up already on eBay for NGC graded set of 70's...

Linky
  • Options
    Can anyone tell me if the Mint order number is on the shipping label?
  • Options
    No the Mint order # is not on the outer UPS shipping box. The Send To and Phone Number on file are on there, though, at least on my first order of 5 sets (to my wife).
  • Options

<< <i>No the Mint order # is not on the outer UPS shipping box. The Send To and Phone Number on file are on there, though, at least on my first order of 5 sets (to my wife). >>

Got it, thanks. What's on the receipt inside? Any personal information other than name, address, phone number and perhaps last 4 digits of the CC number?
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My only Friend in the Friend and Family Network thought it would be right to open the box to inspect the contents despite repeated instructions (and explanations) not to open the box.

If anyone was going to just sell their sets as opened boxes, please consider trading an already opened box of 5 with a sealed box of 5

I will pay overnight shipping and insurance both ways up front.

Please?!?!

the box was not a rattle box, and I made sure that all the capsules were seated..... they are all seated in their holders just fine. No Loose Coins Found!!!
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No just the tracking # date and ship to info.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>No the Mint order # is not on the outer UPS shipping box. The Send To and Phone Number on file are on there, though, at least on my first order of 5 sets (to my wife). >>

Got it, thanks. What's on the receipt inside? Any personal information other than name, address, phone number and perhaps last 4 digits of the CC number? >>

Not opening the box dear boy. Sold already.
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My only Friend in the Friend and Family Network thought it would be right to open the box to inspect the contents despite repeated instructions (and explanations) not to open the box.

If anyone was going to just sell their sets as opened boxes, please consider trading an already opened box of 5 with a sealed box of 5

Please?!?! >>

Ugh, that sucks! My dad did the same thing to me with the 20th anniversary set. I sent them back for replacements. image

-Paul
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>My only Friend in the Friend and Family Network thought it would be right to open the box to inspect the contents despite repeated instructions (and explanations) not to open the box.

Please?!?! >>

Ugh, that sucks! My dad did the same thing to me with the 20th anniversary set. I sent them back for replacements. image

-Paul >>

Now THAT is gaming the system. I don't care about the people who went through the BS to have multiple accounts to order more than 5, but sending a set back because it was opened by YOUR family just to get a sealed set is shady to me. To each their own.
  • Options
    ps:

#!$#!^!%%$%!%@%!@#$%!#$
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>If anyone was going to just sell their sets as opened boxes, please consider trading an already opened box of 5 with a sealed box of 5 >>

Have you cherry-picked them yet? imageimage

Assuming I get both my sets of 5 (a big assumption), I would being willing to do this to help you out. image
  • Options
    erickso1erickso1 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭
    I was going to say you can always sell the opened set on Ebay and scoop up an unopened set from the BST assuming you don't get any helpers.
  • Options
    Can someone please help me with something.. I had an order placed at 2:38 on the 27th. My order said in stock and reserved with no cancel box..... now today it says my order is on hold and it shows the cancel box! Does anyone know what that means? My CC has it billed to it already but I am really worried I will not get my order now. Does anyone else have that problem... I am lost
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>If anyone was going to just sell their sets as opened boxes, please consider trading an already opened box of 5 with a sealed box of 5 >>

Have you cherry-picked them yet? imageimage

Assuming I get both my sets of 5 (a big assumption), I would being willing to do this to help you out. image >>

cool!

THANKS!!!!!!!!!

PS: nothing to cherry pick! Mine are sealed, so I can't swap anything.

and the good news, it wasn't a rattle box she opened.

the box was not a rattle box, and I made sure that all the capsules were seated..... they are all seated in their holders just fine. No Loose Coins Found!!!
  • Options
    I just received tracking number for set ordered at 2:19 PM
    Order # 38348xxx

KP

To all Vets: Thank you for your service!!

• Options
    OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭
    Your friend can sell his opened boxes for more on ebay right now than sealed boxes.....last I looked an open box sold for $885 where you can purchase sealed boxes for around $700-749.........I'm a little torn what to do with my sealed box of 3 sets. I can see why a collector would want the sealed box (for grading), but I can understand also that many people can't afford more than one box, even if it is open.... what to do, what to do.....
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭
    So my order arrives today--The box had been opened, lable cut in half, and retaped with clear tape. One seam of the box completely untaped.

Called the mint to register a complaint and told that there have been other reports of this today as well.

So my question is will this be rejected for 1st Strike designation on the 3 other coins?
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Can someone please help me with something.. I had an order placed at 2:38 on the 27th. My order said in stock and reserved with no cancel box..... now today it says my order is on hold and it shows the cancel box! Does anyone know what that means? My CC has it billed to it already but I am really worried I will not get my order now. Does anyone else have that problem... I am lost >>

For your peace of mind...contact PBGS .
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

<< <i>PS: nothing to cherry pick! Mine are sealed, so I can't swap anything. >>

Sounds good. I probably won't know until next Friday whether or not I'm going to get these...........

PM next week for an update.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So my order arrives today--The box had been opened, lable cut in half, and retaped with clear tape. One seam of the box completely untaped.

Called the mint to register a complaint and told that there have been other reports of this today as well.

So my question is will this be rejected for 1st Strike designation on the 3 other coins? >>

I'd be very concerned...who knows what's in your "sealed box" now.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

<< <i>Can someone please help me with something.. I had an order placed at 2:38 on the 27th. My order said in stock and reserved with no cancel box..... now today it says my order is on hold and it shows the cancel box! Does anyone know what that means? My CC has it billed to it already but I am really worried I will not get my order now. Does anyone else have that problem... I am lost >>

first call your CC company and make sure it is ok. Let them know of the coming charge and the amount.
    then, you need to call the mint and make sure the CC info they have is ok.

• Options
    GManGMan Posts: 790 ✭✭

<< <i>Do single set orders come over night and require delivery signature? >>

Yes they do. Via UPS.
    GMan
  • Options
    EggerEgger Posts: 418 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>So my order arrives today--The box had been opened, lable cut in half, and retaped with clear tape. One seam of the box completely untaped.

So my question is will this be rejected for 1st Strike designation on the 3 other coins? >>

I'd be very concerned...who knows what's in your "sealed box" now. >>

sounds like you almost have to open it now, mine wasnt too bad, just one end where the top meets the side was broke, so I just added a 1" piece of tape on the joint, the label was fine.
  • Options

<< <i>

I'd be very concerned...who knows what's in your "sealed box" now. >>

it's not 1st strike that is at issue.

it is the 25th anniversary set label that is at issue.

and your box has just been excluded.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file