Home U.S. Coin Forum

25th Anniversary ASE set

Comments

• scotty1419scotty1419 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Not bad, $850 for a singled opened set!!

Opened Set >>

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.
  • LostSislerLostSisler Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
    Because to Err is Human.
    I specialize in Errors, Minting, Counterfeit Detection & Grading.
    Computer-aided grading, counterfeit detection, recognition and imaging.
  • Those buyers don't know the difference between an open box and a sealed box?
    Both are being sold for almost the same amount of money !!!!!
  • Ugh, when I tip my sealed box, it sounds like the Titanic when it went down. image
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Got mine today awesome looking sets ,I have a question for all people who have theres the reverse of the reverse proof seems to be off in the rotation not by alot but noticeable is that considered an error? or does it have to be greater rotation heres a pic?
    25th silver eagle set
  • DCWDCW Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think the average "collector" really cares if the box is sealed. They actually want to collect the coins inside.
    I know its a strange concept.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    Man, WTF is up with these poorly secured sets? Either the mint did a sloppy job packing these into the blue boxes from the get go or the packaging design stinks.

I'm going with the former.
  • paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

<< <i> ( >>

>>

I did this a month ago, as a test , just got them last week,

25 Moderns

10 x 2010 Silver Eagle Proofs (mint box of 20 bought by me)
    10 x 2011 Silver Eagle Poofs (mint box of 10 bought by me)
    5 x 2011 Silver Eagle Burnished (mint box of 5 bought by me)

Grades

2010 Silver Eagle Proofs 4 PR70,5 PR69, 1 PR68
    2011 Silver Eagle Poofs 10 PR69
    2011 Silver Eagle Burnished 2 MS70, 3 MS69 (did FS on these )

So I got 6 out of 25 as 70's ....... >>

That may be, but no 70's on the 2011 proofs is not exactly encouraging.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Man, WTF is up with these poorly secured sets? Either the mint did a sloppy job packing these into the blue boxes from the get go or the packaging design stinks.

I'm going with the former. >>

Has periodically been a problem with their custom boxes for a few years. At one time the gold spouse's had a rectangular piece of cardboard/plastic laid over the coin capsule to act as a spacer. Seems like the "unshipping" video posted somewhere in this thread showed the buyer removing something that covered the tops of the ASE capsules. Can anyone confirm this with a set that has been opened?

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

<< <i>

<< <i> ( >>

>>

25 Moderns

Grades

That may be, but no 70's on the 2011 proofs is not exactly encouraging. >>

70s are tough at PCGS, that's why they sell for so much more.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• I send coins to be graded and more or less, out of 100 coins you get 45-60% 70's, so out fo 25 should be between 10-15.
    I think the coins were made specially for the set, not the regular production of the PF or the MS versions; also I read the bullion version was minted at the Denver location, too bad no Mint mark.

• << <i>Too bad those of us living in SoCal can't walk these in. >>

I agree. I think they do that for security reasons. Don't want to have anyone snooping around or have a disgruntled customer. I don't mind. The package I sent registered mail yesterday at 2:08pm PST was delivered to PCGS this morning at 4:03am PST. Being close to them has its benefits. image
    Green neophyte
  • LittletweedLittletweed Posts: 623 ✭✭✭
    My sets came this morning, which is awesome. But, the box is beat up a bit and I hear some that are loose. I hadn't made up my mind yet what I was going to do with them, but I get the feeling I should open them up.

Matt

<< <i>I send coins to be graded and more or less, out of 100 coins you get 45-60% 70's, so out fo 25 should be between 10-15.
    I think the coins were made specially for the set, not the regular production of the PF or the MS versions; also I read the bullion version was minted at the Denver location, too bad no Mint mark. >>

Report of Denver was an error by the author. San Fran for the no m/m bullion, will be labeled with a 2011 (S) by PCGS and just a 2011 by NGC.

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't think the average "collector" really cares if the box is sealed. They actually want to collect the coins inside.
    I know its a strange concept. >>

Average collector would rather buy non cherrypicked coins. Therefore a sealed box!

• << <i>Ugh, when I tip my sealed box, it sounds like the Titanic when it went down. image >>

you were around in 1912?
  • halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Man, WTF is up with these poorly secured sets? Either the mint did a sloppy job packing these into the blue boxes from the get go or the packaging design stinks.

I'm going with the former. >>

Low paid temp workers hired by the mint's contractor.

The mint contracts all of this work out, from Customer Service to packaging, to distribution . . .

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Ugh, when I tip my sealed box, it sounds like the Titanic when it went down. image >>

you were around in 1912? >>

I wasn't but I have seen several movies! image

• << <i>My sets came this morning, which is awesome. But, the box is beat up a bit and I hear some that are loose. I hadn't made up my mind yet what I was going to do with them, but I get the feeling I should open them up. >>

That box has had a rough trip to you. Maybe the Mint should put handle with care. That paper stuffing they put in the boxes is a little sketchy. They could do a better job all the way around. I wouldn't ship these sets the way they do. They need to take notes from APMEX. Now that is a pretty pack package (referring to 5 pc 5oz ATB Qtr Set)!
    Green neophyte

• << <i>

<< <i>Ugh, when I tip my sealed box, it sounds like the Titanic when it went down. image >>

you were around in 1912? >>

Sometimes I feel like it. image
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Got mine today awesome looking sets ,I have a question for all people who have theres the reverse of the reverse proof seems to be off in the rotation not by alot but noticeable is that considered an error? or does it have to be greater rotation heres a pic?
    25th silver eagle set
    Well I hate being the first to report this but I received a box of five making a ton of noise so I opened it.
    There were two coins loose, one (the 2011 W Proof) out of the holder and scratched on the obverse field.
    I'm happy that it wasn't one of the rare ones but still.
    Can I get a replacement? Calling Mint...
    Because to Err is Human.
  • EggerEgger Posts: 418 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i> ( >>

>>

25 Moderns

Grades

That may be, but no 70's on the 2011 proofs is not exactly encouraging. >>

70s are tough at PCGS, that's why they sell for so much more. >>

didn't feel too bad about it, wish I would have gotten 1 or 2 of the 2011's 70's though
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<you were around in 1912? >>

You a Red Sox fan? Maybe someone DROPPED IT! YEOWW!

• CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>Got mine today awesome looking sets ,I have a question for all people who have theres the reverse of the reverse proof seems to be off in the rotation not by alot but noticeable is that considered an error? or does it have to be greater rotation heres a pic? >>

I'd say that's normal...It's within its tolerance and there's a degree's limit, think 20% or more but don't quote me...image
  • paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

<< <i>My sets came this morning, which is awesome. But, the box is beat up a bit and I hear some that are loose. I hadn't made up my mind yet what I was going to do with them, but I get the feeling I should open them up.
    >>

Unfortunately, this is what you get when you make them wear those brown shorts all day.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • The boxes used to be in better shape when the Mint ship them with FedEx before.
  • UPS just delivered my 5 pack of 25th anniversary sleagles... 15.15 lb package.... I see that out of the box single sets are $750-$800+..and sealed boxes of five are topping $3,650 on eBay....wow.. where will this madness lead when PCGS Mercanti sets hit the arena?

• << <i>Well I hate being the first to report this but I received a box of five making a ton of noise so I opened it.
    There were two coins loose, one (the 2011 W Proof) out of the holder and scratched on the obverse field.
    Can I get a replacement? Calling Mint... >>

Let us know what the Mint says. You'll need to send a complete set back. I'd be very leery about doing this, especially since the damaged one is one of the common ones. If you do decide to send a set back, you should cherrypick and put the least desirables into the set you return.
  • bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Can someone quickly explain registered mail for me? I am selling some sets for friends/family, probably on ebay, and I just want to figure out the best way to mail. I know registered is safe, but I don't like the fact that it takes so long...seems like more time for them to get lost. Is express safer? Or maybe fedex? Just curious. Especially with mailing unopened boxes (that are somebody elses) Im getting nervous. Thanks >>

Registered, insured:
    -Safest, I mail hundreds a year, never lost one. Each postal employee that takes possession of it signs for it.
    -Slowest 5-10 days
    -An "extra service" added to either first class or priority mailing fee. You pay a mailing fee plus the registered fee.
    -If under 13 oz. mails at the cheaper first class mailing fee, if over mails at priority mailing fee.
    -Since it is an extra service for priority, you can take advantage of priority flat rate mailing fee with the registered fee added.
    -Registered fee climbs as insurance coverage climbs, but nowhere near as fast as priority insurance climbs.
    -Cheaper than regular priority insured if value is over $750 (priority insurance rates get expensive, while cheaper insurance rates are built into registered fee).
    -Priority registered is still slow, only difference is you are paying a higher mailing fee (priority) because of the weight.
    -If your buyer is looking for fast shipment (trying to meet 30 day first strike deadline) registered needs to be reconsidered.
    -Allows up to $25K insurance while express allows up to $5K insurance.
    -Requires paper tape over all package seams so clerk can apply tamperproof stamped seal. Glue back tape hard to find, available at Staples. Tape is required only over seams, not the entire package.
    -Electronic return receipt can be purchased in lieu of more expensive signature confirmation. Meets ebay/paypal requirement for signature confirmation and requires no form, just ask for it when you ship. Provides on line viewing of receiving signature and in most cases in-route tracking.
    -Has to be purchased at post office counter, no on-line registered label purchasing.
    -Requires PS Form 3806 (4x4 white form), available at all PO customer counter areas.

I use it on most everything I sell. I walk up to the counter, hand the clerk the package and the form and say "first class registered insured with electronic return receipt." If it is over 13 oz. clerk will tell me it has to go at priority mailing rate. Do not pay the higher priority mailing fee if it does not require it (under 13 oz.). Again going priority makes no difference on delivery time.

I can mail a gold coin registered insured ($1800) for about $20.

Express starts at around $20. There is only one flat rate express offered and it is the cardboard envelope, $20. All other express gets expensive as weight increases. However, I can safely fit 3 graded coins in a bubble envelope that goes inside the cardboard flat rate envelope and mail insured ($2000) for about $20-$22. Sometimes I can get a high dollar small shipment to my customer faster at about the same cost as registered using the express flat rate envelope.

Domestic Mail Manual, contains rates and fees >>

great info>>>>>> THANKS
  • Misplaced comment withdrawn.
  • sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 829 ✭✭✭
    Rec'd my set this morning - UPS. Not opened yet but will do so.
  • CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I send coins to be graded and more or less, out of 100 coins you get 45-60% 70's, so out fo 25 should be between 10-15.
    I think the coins were made specially for the set, not the regular production of the PF or the MS versions; also I read the bullion version was minted at the Denver location, too bad no Mint mark. >>

also I read the bullion version was minted at the Denver location,

Where did you read this?
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,

<< <i>

<< <i>Well I hate being the first to report this but I received a box of five making a ton of noise so I opened it.
    Can I get a replacement? Calling Mint... >>

Let us know what the Mint says. You'll need to send a complete set back. I'd be very leery about doing this, especially since the damaged one is one of the common ones. If you do decide to send a set back, you should cherrypick and put the least desirables into the set you return. >>

Since it is now open, it will make no difference, and probably be easier to just swap it with another coin that is easily available from the mint and on the secondary market. Same coin, different box.

• HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    13:51 shipped
  • This is my first post loooong time lurker!!!! Could you please tell me what BST stands for?
    Thank you in advance
  • 1:42 shipped
    25th silver eagle set
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This is my first post loooong time lurker!!!! Could you please tell me what BST stands for?
    Thank you in advance >>

That is the buy sell trade forum.

Look under navigation in top right had corner.

• << <i>This is my first post loooong time lurker!!!! Could you please tell me what BST stands for?
    Thank you in advance >>

Buy, Sell, Trade Forum here on the message boards
    EAC member since 2011, one third of the way through my 1793 large cent type set

• << <i>Got mine today awesome looking sets ,I have a question for all people who have theres the reverse of the reverse proof seems to be off in the rotation not by alot but noticeable is that considered an error? or does it have to be greater rotation heres a pic? >>

If you just rotate the capsule in the pic a bit to the left it will be fine.....

I don't know what I'm looking at....hard to tell rotation from one side
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The real question is this...at $800+/each raw...maybe they should be opened and sold separately.

If they hit $1,000/each, I know I'll be asking that question myself!

<< <i>

also I read the bullion version was minted at the Denver location,

Where did you read this? >>

It was in a coin article that the author subsequently corrected to SF. The fact that PCGS is putting 2011 (S) on the coin's label confirms Denver was incorrect.

• yes, singles set open are being sold for $800-850, and 5 sets boxes only for $3500-3600, selling singles will make you extra $300-400

• << <i>The real question is this...at $800+/each raw...maybe they should be opened and sold separately.

If they hit $1,000/each, I know I'll be asking that question myself! >>

You can always open a sealed set but you can't seal an open set.....makes zero sense why the open would sell for more (hint: there is an open set in every sealed box)
  • BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    WooHoo! 1:46 shipped
    Guess they are going right down the line.
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
    I was louping the coins while in the mint holder (Cherrypicking) and my loupe was attracted to the magnets at the base of the holder! There are three "super magnets" on the base so that is can stand up within the case.
    Because to Err is Human.
  • dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    The problem with the shipping issue on these 25th sets is twofold IMO.

1) The mint should use a long thick rectangular piece of soft foam inside the boxes sitting on top of the capsules to help prevent them from jarring loose in transit.

2) The place in Indiana that apparently packages and ships these sets out does a lousy job IMO by simply using a piece of loose crumbled brown paper inside the boxes, that's a joke. Each set should be wrapped individually in several layers of bubble wrap and additional cushioning material used on the top and bottom of the boxes to prevent the sets from bouncing around. These are in many cases high value shipments and they are packed up as if they are shipping a bunch of old gym shoes or something image
  • AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This is my first post loooong time lurker!!!! Could you please tell me what BST stands for?
    Thank you in advance >>

BST refers to the Buy-Sell-Trade forum. You'll find it in the navigation drop down box. Also, click on profile and turn on your PM (private message) function. This will allow members to sent you a message not seen to all. Oh, and welcome to the forum.
    Andrew
    Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.

Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com
  • GManGMan Posts: 790 ✭✭
    My first set just sold for $873.95. After shipping, eBay, & Paypal fees I cleared about $740 for a decent profit. Should have 3 more in hand tomorrow and hopefully all 4 of my remaining. This was for a sealed single set. $849 BIN with $24.95 for shipping. Should have charged more for shipping as it cost me over $50 for Express Mail. Overall though pretty happy with the first one and hope I can do as well or better on the rest of them I decide to sell.
    GMan
  • OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭
    Just had my single set that was in the waiting and hoping category cancelled by the mint...."sorry, ran out" It was ordered at 7:18 est..........image

Luckily I received my 3 set box ----delivered by UPS this morning....image

Oh....3400!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file