Home U.S. Coin Forum

25th Anniversary ASE set

Comments

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So I get a UPS InfoNotice on my door, saying my package from PBGS has been left with a neighbor, even though I never authorized UPS to do that. My neighbor is not home right now. I'm thinking these are my five sets that came and what if he accidentally opens the box. image I went through my Mint order tracking and fortunately it was my Lucy Hayes and ATBs that were delivered, not my five sets. But is UPS allowed to just leave packages with a neighbor WITHOUT authorization? This has never happened to me before. What if I wasn't on good terms with my neighbor? God, I hate UPS! >>

If item requires signature UPS will not leave it at another address without your permission.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So I get a UPS InfoNotice on my door, saying my package from PBGS has been left with a neighbor, even though I never authorized UPS to do that. My neighbor is not home right now. I'm thinking these are my five sets that came and what if he accidentally opens the box. image I went through my Mint order tracking and fortunately it was my Lucy Hayes and ATBs that were delivered, not my five sets. But is UPS allowed to just leave packages with a neighbor WITHOUT authorization? This has never happened to me before. What if I wasn't on good terms with my neighbor? God, I hate UPS! >>

You could have them sent to your work or a person you know. UPS has re-routing system now, I think it is a $5.00 charge though.
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>lots of mint newbs here. >>

They're coming from everywhere... image >>

Just like the pucks. Hopfully some will stick around and will become regulars. I started here with the 20th anniv. sets. >>

And this is why the members who could care less about ASEs should be tolerant while the forum is temporarily overun with ASE threads. New collectors (and members) are good for the hobby and good for the coin business. >>

I wonder how many are here just to collect money and not coins...... >>

Most of them will get hooked, just like the rest of us. image

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>lots of mint newbs here. >>

They're coming from everywhere... image >>

Just like the pucks. Hopfully some will stick around and will become regulars. I started here with the 20th anniv. sets. >>

And this is why the members who could care less about ASEs should be tolerant while the forum is temporarily overun with ASE threads. New collectors (and members) are good for the hobby and good for the coin business. >>

The statement of the day. I am glad we are welcome amongst all the seasoned veterans. image
    Green neophyte

• << <i>

If item requires signature UPS will not leave it at another address without your permission. >>

It was a signature required delivery. Looks like UPS really dropped the ball on this one.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    Has anyone's order status changed today? All 4 orders placed have the exact same status as yesterday.
    Mint hasn't even moved out the backorder date one more day (as they usually do every day,) on my last order.

So confusing. Do they work a day, take a day off, etc.. etc. etc.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

If item requires signature UPS will not leave it at another address without your permission. >>

It was a signature required delivery. Looks like UPS really dropped the ball on this one. >>

Which reminds me, we keep getting revolving mail carriers. I need to leave a standing "do not leave signature packages" order with them.... just in case one of them thinks they need to be "nice."

Gotta catch that FedEx guy, too. But he rarely delivers anything.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>TextPay the FS cash. Its a scam but thats how it is. Stop being such a sissy. >>

Thanks ibex66. I was 99% sure of paying for the FS but just wanted to hear a reasoned argument for it. Being called a sissy is good enough for meimage >>

Good attitude Clinkin! You will last on the forums. Keep it lite and good luck!

>>

obviously missed that part of the Downfall video >>

OMG, I was literally in tears, barely able to breathe watching the "downfall video". It will have my dad and brother (also unable to order despite 5 straight hours of trying) in tears. It is just fantastic!!!
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am just hoping for NO MILK SPOTS!
  • goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 622 ✭✭✭
    I don't think these prices are going to last much longer.

To many people ordering 5 and flipping.

I think they will stay above issue, but I'm thinking $400 - $450 very soon.

<< <i>I don't think these prices are going to last much longer.

I think they will stay above issue, but I'm thinking $400 - $450 very soon. >>

I agree. The re-flippers have them temporarily high.

I'm not sure.

lots of buyers out there.

100,000 vs. 250,000

we'll see.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
    I am sure of one thing.... the flood hasn't hit yet.
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Comeing soon.

Hoard the keys.
  • With all due respect for the experts on this board........Look for prices to peak at around 1500 per sealed boxes of 1 set (buyers will be hoping to send in for 70's) and prices for 5 set boxes to exceed 6000............Level price points will be 700 plus for an open set and stay over 1200 for sealed single sets..............(yes I have horses in this race).............2 coins that have mintages of 100K in a market of solid buyers that exceed 200K............and some of these collectors have never heard of the message boards and are just now or will be learning of this mint offering...........the high prices are just starting...........I have fielded over 50 e-mails from clients asking about these sets!
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    If they fall to $400 then huge buyers would enter to hoard these, there is no way these stay at the 20th set levels if that happens.

• << <i>I don't think these prices are going to last much longer.

I think they will stay above issue, but I'm thinking $400 - $450 very soon. >>

If they hit $400-$450, I'm buying. Remember, APMEX is still buying at $425. There's a floor right there. It'll be interesting to see what happens to APMEX's buy price.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
    100k is not that low of a mintage. Rev. Proof and S m/m will always demand premiums but in the long run I don't see the other set coins individually holding price. They will become just a different label for the label collectors.

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>100k is not that low of a mintage. Rev. Proof and S m/m will always demand premiums but in the long run I don't see the other set coins individually holding price. They will become just a different label for the label collectors. >>

Those coins come down to labels like you are saying but that includes for the registry players.....I haven't looked lately to see how many are playing the registry games for these......(not 100k, guaranteed, but the more the merrier) image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Well .. I am as excited as can be ...UPS has scanned my 15.2 pound parcel of Sleagles in Louisville,Ky at 207am and they are scheduled for delivery to my door by 1030am! I just taped a note to my door "To Knock Loudly"... watch, the delivery person will just silently set the package by the door and be on his way...
  • The 2011S models out at over $300 all by itself as a MS-69 and the 2011RP-69 is at least a $200 coin. In 12 months I think you will have a hard time finding a 25th set for less than $600++++. Don,t be in a big hurry to dump on a double unless the mint announces more 2011S or Rf coins are pending.

Eric

• << <i>Well .. I am as excited as can be ...UPS has scanned my 15.2 pound parcel of Sleagles in Louisville,Ky at 207am and they are scheduled for delivery to my door by 1030am! I just taped a note to my door "To Knock Loudly"... watch, the delivery person will just silently set the package by the door and be on his way... >>

Welcome, Garloo57. Mine are coming tomorrow as well.

• << <i>

<< <i>prices are high because people are panic bidding on the few to be listed

once the flood hits, and the BIN people list under the closed auction prices, the closing prices will come down and down. >>

Anyone else having puck deja vu? >>

I had it about 30 pages ago (of the 65 I have)

• << <i>The 2011S models out at over $300 all by itself as a MS-69 and the 2011RP-69 is at least a $200 coin. In 12 months I think you will have a hard time finding a 25th set for less than $600++++. Don,t be in a big hurry to dump on a double unless the mint announces more 2011S or Rf coins are pending.

Eric >>

I think there will be a RP every 5 years included in a set similar to this year's but most likely with a higher mintage

Regarding the "S".... wouldn't it make the 2011 S more collectible if they had a mint-to-demand "S" next year and the years to follow? It would truly make this a key of that type
  • Falk25Falk25 Posts: 110 ✭✭
    Here are my three orders and updated status on them.

Order Date:10/27/2011 at 12:52 AM Order Status: Your order request has been shipped.

Order Date:10/27/2011 at 01:02 PM Order Status: Your order request has been shipped.

Order Date:10/27/2011 at 01:13 PM Order Status: Your order request is in process.

The two orders I have tracking numbers for have yet to be recognized by UPS so I'm assuming those two plus my third order will all be shipped at once and be delivered on Friday. Lucky for me I'm off work that day for the holiday. image
  • Remember that the USPS is closed tomorrow so those lucky ones receiving their prizes today can stare at and shake their box for an additional day...UPS will deliver on the holiday
  • DCWDCW Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"I don't think these prices are going to last much longer.

I think they will stay above issue, but I'm thinking $400 - $450 very soon."

Seems very short sighted. They sold 100,000 in 4 fours! Prices rise and fall, but $400?
    No.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Remember that the USPS is closed tomorrow so those lucky ones receiving their prizes today can stare at and shake their box for an additional day...UPS will deliver on the holiday >>

It will be open for Express mail delivery's ....
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • UPS doesn't deliver on weekends. Friday ship dates wait until Monday.

• << <i>

<< <i>Remember that the USPS is closed tomorrow so those lucky ones receiving their prizes today can stare at and shake their box for an additional day...UPS will deliver on the holiday >>

It will be open for Express mail delivery's .... >>

Yes, but think about those big beasts being delivered to PCGS PO box in a closed USPS location. The only thing they will get in the box is a slip to pick it up on Saturday...so one day delay
  • CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well .. I am as excited as can be ...UPS has scanned my 15.2 pound parcel of Sleagles in Louisville,Ky at 207am and they are scheduled for delivery to my door by 1030am! I just taped a note to my door "To Knock Loudly"... watch, the delivery person will just silently set the package by the door and be on his way... >>

Doubt it, it requires a signature.
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,

<< <i>

<< <i>"I don't think these prices are going to last much longer.

I think they will stay above issue, but I'm thinking $400 - $450 very soon."

Seems very short sighted. They sold 100,000 in 4 fours! Prices rise and fall, but $400?
    No. >>

But they didn't sell to 100,000 to collectors. They sold to a whole lot of speculators who hope to sell to collectors at an inflated price, and they will for a while. Set will always be worth more than $450 but it want always sell for 2 or 3 times cost.

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't believe the dolt buyers on Ebay paying almost the same for sealed vs. unsealed sets.

• << <i>obviously missed that part of the Downfall video >>

Well that seals it. It was almost like the Fuehrer was calling me a sissy for not considering the FS designationimage

"The more you complain, the longer God lets you live".
  • I believe when the graded coins start to hit the market and the prices plateau and level off, the reason for buying a sealed set will be less of an incentive. Why buy a sealed set & pay $3k plus $388, at least, wait a month, and with a cost per coin being $136 ($680 per set), it wouldn't make sense. For First Strikes, add $450 in fees, the per coin cost is $153.52 ($767.60 per set). Their wallets will be subject to a big sucking sound with moths taking over.

Those who bought directly from the Mint are the ones in the driver's seat paying $1,500 for 5 sets plus $388, calculating to $75.52 per coin ($378 per set). That sounds a lot better. If you opt for First Strikes, your per coin cost is $93.52 ($467.60 per set), still reasonable.

I am not sure what the bottom of the market for graded sets will be, maybe $650 for a First Strike 69 set.

My two cents worth.
    Green neophyte
  • BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    flippers...re-flippers...dealers...collectors....whoever it is there is SO MUCH HUGE interest in these that I just don't see these settling at a low price. Some of these auctions listed for 1 day so far have over 2000 views already. I think when the flood hits it will be readily consumed and over quickly.
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭
    69 sets will be at 800-1000.... prices will not drop back to the 450-500 range for months ..... if ever
  • bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭
    If you are loking to buy on the bay .... hold off until more sets get in hand.. sets now in 700- 725 range .. a great more than double in price if you got on the offering from the Mint
  • Ebay single sealed sets starting to go for $800 + this morning.

Bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. image

• I've seriously been considering listing 3 of my 5 single-sealed sets at $1000 BIN and keeping the other two sets. Anyone agree? Disagree?
  • commacomma Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    Can someone quickly explain registered mail for me? I am selling some sets for friends/family, probably on ebay, and I just want to figure out the best way to mail. I know registered is safe, but I don't like the fact that it takes so long...seems like more time for them to get lost. Is express safer? Or maybe fedex? Just curious. Especially with mailing unopened boxes (that are somebody elses) Im getting nervous. Thanks
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Hope you all have better luck than I had, the shipping was terrible, all 5 sets , the coins were out of the slots and even out of the plastic caps.. loose rattling around in the wood box... Once re-assembled the sets were beautifull though, just lousy packaging...

image >>

OMG - this is becoming a nightmare >>

I'm going to send this to the Acting Mint Director.

This is not the first time a product has come from the mint like this. Some First Spouse issues have as well. >>

Like many others I'm sure, I've had buffs, plats, ASE's & others arrive loose over the years.

Feel Free, and this was the nicest of the #5...
    I thought it odd that when I cut the carton open all I saw was the bottoms of the blue box's.
    Hopefully I just got a "not too smart" packer and packed them all upside down..

Hope you all have better luck than I did..
    but... My customer was still happy and thats all that mattered to me..... :-) >>

shoot shots of the ALL of them.

the more they see, the stronger the case for taking action. >>

>>

Action? What kind of ACTION?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've seriously been considering listing 3 of my 5 single-sealed sets at $1000 BIN and keeping the other two sets. Anyone agree? Disagree? >>

Please do! That way I can seem like a bargain when I ask $1800 or an oz of Au for my box of 2!!
  • Sleagles

I love that!!! image

Welcome aboard.

Larry
    Dabigkahuna
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Can someone quickly explain registered mail for me? I am selling some sets for friends/family, probably on ebay, and I just want to figure out the best way to mail. I know registered is safe, but I don't like the fact that it takes so long...seems like more time for them to get lost. Is express safer? Or maybe fedex? Just curious. Especially with mailing unopened boxes (that are somebody elses) Im getting nervous. Thanks >>

Unless you agree to provide expedited shipping, timeliness should be the least of your concerns. Security of delivery should be priority one. If you are providing free shipping, then method of shipping is your call. If the buyer wants special services, those come at his expense and risk. Be sure that whatever method you use is acceptable for PayPal coverage.
    theknowitalltroll;

• << <i>Can someone quickly explain registered mail for me? I am selling some sets for friends/family, probably on ebay, and I just want to figure out the best way to mail. I know registered is safe, but I don't like the fact that it takes so long...seems like more time for them to get lost. Is express safer? Or maybe fedex? Just curious. Especially with mailing unopened boxes (that are somebody elses) Im getting nervous. Thanks >>

Registered mail is the safest way to ship and can be the most expensive depending on how far from your place to theirs. With registered mail, you have to sealed the entire package with brown paper packing tape (that costs some money there) which has a glued side that needs to be moisten and wrapped so that no part of the package is exposed. You have to hand deliver it to your local post office and they will stamp every seal on the package to ensure that nothing will be tapered with your package. It gets put into locked storage and will be handled the same at the processing/sorting facilities, then at the local postage office in the destination zip code, and will be delivered to buyer only face-to-face.

Hope this helps.
    Green neophyte
  • CakesCakes Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Can someone quickly explain registered mail for me? I am selling some sets for friends/family, probably on ebay, and I just want to figure out the best way to mail. I know registered is safe, but I don't like the fact that it takes so long...seems like more time for them to get lost. Is express safer? Or maybe fedex? Just curious. Especially with mailing unopened boxes (that are somebody elses) Im getting nervous. Thanks >>

Registered is slower due to every step it takes is accounted for, IE: Once the clerk processing it the next person who handles it is documented, and so on, and so on, until it reaches it's destination. Sometimes it could be like 10 hops before it gets there. I have always had gl with it.

The other thing that makes it nice is it has to be wrapped exactly the way the post office wants it, super wrapped and secured, they then stamp every possible seam which in turn assures that the package hasn't been tampered with along the way.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Hope you all have better luck than I had, the shipping was terrible, all 5 sets , the coins were out of the slots and even out of the plastic caps.. loose rattling around in the wood box... Once re-assembled the sets were beautifull though, just lousy packaging...

image >>

OMG - this is becoming a nightmare >>

I'm going to send this to the Acting Mint Director.

This is not the first time a product has come from the mint like this. Some First Spouse issues have as well. >>

Like many others I'm sure, I've had buffs, plats, ASE's & others arrive loose over the years.

Feel Free, and this was the nicest of the #5...
    I thought it odd that when I cut the carton open all I saw was the bottoms of the blue box's.
    Hopefully I just got a "not too smart" packer and packed them all upside down..

Hope you all have better luck than I did..
    but... My customer was still happy and thats all that mattered to me..... :-) >>

shoot shots of the ALL of them.

the more they see, the stronger the case for taking action. >>

>>

Action? What kind of ACTION? >>

Shipping in a way the minimizes damages to package contents would be a primary kind of action.
    theknowitalltroll;

• << <i>Can someone quickly explain registered mail for me? I am selling some sets for friends/family, probably on ebay, and I just want to figure out the best way to mail. I know registered is safe, but I don't like the fact that it takes so long...seems like more time for them to get lost. Is express safer? Or maybe fedex? Just curious. Especially with mailing unopened boxes (that are somebody elses) Im getting nervous. Thanks >>

Generally speaking it has been my experience that insured Express Mail costs
    about the same as insured Priority Mail due to Priority's higher insurance rate
    and Express Mail's big online discount. . I've never used registered because:
    a. it is slow and
    b. it is expensive 'cuz it can't be paid for online.

You save a bundle with Express Mail by paying online and it gets there fast.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file