Home U.S. Coin Forum

25th Anniversary ASE set

Comments

• a single unopened set sold about an hour ago for $3250. I don't see that ending well for either the buyer or the seller.
  • fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭

<< <i>The problem with the shipping issue on these 25th sets is twofold IMO. >>

what about that the box is over sized for 5 sets???
    and they are shipping singles in the same box. (someone please verify this)

did they plan (LOL) to fit more than 5 sets in the ship box?

madness!
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • GManGMan Posts: 790 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The problem with the shipping issue on these 25th sets is twofold IMO. >>

what about that the box is over sized for 5 sets???
    and they are shipping singles in the same box. (someone please verify this)

>>

The single set I got in was in the same box that I've seen pictured with 5 sets in it.
    GMan
  • And for only $967.95 you can get all 5 sets graded...Minchia
    I resist & fight endlessly to avoid having to expose certain parts of myself to myself
  • Opened single sets selling near single sealed sets tells me that collectors who missed out are driving the current price levels. This is supported by the fact that sealed sets of 5 are going for about 50-60 dollars less per set compared to opened single sets. It will be interesting to see where prices go in the next couple days as more people start receiving them.
  • Just shipped my 5 set box to PCGS. My "shaking" of the box revealed only a sound of "yeah, there's something large in there that's moving, but no 'rattles' or metallic sounds". Sent USPS, Priority, return receipt, $1,500 insurance from Cincinnati, OH area. Cost-$837.95 to PCGS and $66.00 to the USPS. My intentions are to recoup my costs of keeping a "highly graded" set, or two, and recouping my costs on others. I've been known to get sentimental/stupid though and keep all of what I'd planned to sell. Yeah, I'm gambling, but since my other passion is thoroughbred racing, it's in my natureimage
    "The more you complain, the longer God lets you live".

• << <i>The problem with the shipping issue on these 25th sets is twofold IMO.

1) The mint should use a long thick rectangular piece of soft foam inside the boxes sitting on top of the capsules to help prevent them from jarring loose in transit.

2) The place in Indiana that apparently packages and ships these sets out does a lousy job IMO by simply using a piece of loose crumbled brown paper inside the boxes, that's a joke. Each set should be wrapped individually in several layers of bubble wrap and additional cushioning material used on the top and bottom of the boxes to prevent the sets from bouncing around. These are in many cases high value shipments and they are packed up as if they are shipping a bunch of old gym shoes or something image >>

+1

The Coins from the Perth Mint and they are TRIPLE protected starting with layers of soft bubble wrap as suggested.
    Then the bubble wrapped coins are enclosed in a thick paper mailer and finally the shipping bubble mailer.

The packing contractors for the US Mint can mimic packing thing from the Perth Mint.

• bretts911bretts911 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

<< <i>a single unopened set sold about an hour ago for $3250. I don't see that ending well for either the buyer or the seller. >>

never mind found it wow

• << <i>a single unopened set sold about an hour ago for $3250. I don't see that ending well for either the buyer or the seller. >>

Someone that didn't read the item description and "assumed" it was for 5 sets....

Sadly it will be a big box and if the buyer sends the sealed box to be graded (assuming 5 sets enclosed) it will be quite awhile before he realizes his error
  • bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭
    single sets now 750 - 850.. 5 set boxes $750.00 per set ..... wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>a single unopened set sold about an hour ago for $3250. I don't see that ending well for either the buyer or the seller. >>

Someone that didn't read the item description and "assumed" it was for 5 sets....

Sadly it will be a big box and if the buyer sends the sealed box to be graded (assuming 5 sets enclosed) it will be quite awhile before he realizes his error >>

maybe someone should track it and as soon as the buyer's name shows up in seller's feedback shoot buyer a message.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pitney Bowes (PBGS) is a private company that provides services to the government - does anyone think they will be stuffing boxes full of SAEs tomorrow (a Federal holiday)????

UPS will be working, but the PO won't be.
  • 08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just shipped my 5 set box to PCGS. My "shaking" of the box revealed only a sound of "yeah, there's something large in there that's moving, but no 'rattles' or metallic sounds". Sent USPS, Priority, return receipt, $1,500 insurance from Cincinnati, OH area. Cost-$837.95 to PCGS and $66.00 to the USPS. My intentions are to recoup my costs of keeping a "highly graded" set, or two, and recouping my costs on others. I've been known to get sentimental/stupid though and keep all of what I'd planned to sell. Yeah, I'm gambling, but since my other passion is thoroughbred racing, it's in my natureimage >>

A man after my own heart.

Those are the exact figures shipping here from MA. $905, helpw out the economy!!!

Good Luck with the grading.

Joe
  • Occasional poster here - just got box of 5 sets. Two of them were rattlers, and upon opening one set had the coin out of the plastic. Luckily that was the only one.
    Seems to me this will be a real problem for folks selling sets unopened on Ebay. The buyer can claim they weren't packaged properly and return it - I'm sure paypal will side with the buyer. Probably won't be a big issue unless these early prices start to fall and buyers get buyers remorse.
    One set is closing on ebay in the next few minutes, will list a 2nd and keep the remaining three. Will put add'l packing in to prevent the coins from falling out of the holes (a simple layer of bubble will do)

• << <i>Pitney Bowes (PBGS) is a private company that provides services to the government - does anyone think they will be stuffing boxes full of SAEs tomorrow (a Federal holiday)????

UPS will be working, but the PO won't be. >>

The mint will be.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well I hate being the first to report this but I received a box of five making a ton of noise so I opened it.
    There were two coins loose, one (the 2011 W Proof) out of the holder and scratched on the obverse field.
    I'm happy that it wasn't one of the rare ones but still.
    Can I get a replacement? Calling Mint... >>

post a picture please!

the mint does not replace single coins.

the mint only replaces whole sets.

since these are sold out, I would not expect that you can return for a replacement.

post a picture how it came and of the scratch.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

• << <i>Pitney Bowes (PBGS) is a private company that provides services to the government - does anyone think they will be stuffing boxes full of SAEs tomorrow (a Federal holiday)????

Nope....siesta time

• << <i>single sets now 750 - 850.. 5 set boxes $750.00 per set ..... wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >>

Makes sense....most collectors don't have the powder to dump $3500 plus on a box of coins....singles will trade a tad higher

I still think a box of 5 sealed will approach $5k eventually (after the eventual glut clears the 'Bay)...ESPECIALLY when the graded 70 RP and S hit the bidding market
  • kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    Mine just arrived into the hands of PCGS. image

• << <i>

<< <i>Pitney Bowes (PBGS) is a private company that provides services to the government - does anyone think they will be stuffing boxes full of SAEs tomorrow (a Federal holiday)????

The mint will be. >>

It is a Government holiday ... are you sure?

• << <i>Mine just arrived into the hands of PCGS. image >>

NICE!
    pbgs will be active tomorrow.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

• << <i>Mine just arrived into the hands of PCGS. >>

Express Service?
  • dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Just shipped my 5 set box to PCGS. My "shaking" of the box revealed only a sound of "yeah, there's something large in there that's moving, but no 'rattles' or metallic sounds". Sent USPS, Priority, return receipt, $1,500 insurance from Cincinnati, OH area. Cost-$837.95 to PCGS and $66.00 to the USPS. >>

Those are the exact figures shipping here from MA. $905, helpw out the economy!!!

Joe >>

Amazing! For $900.00 you could have ordered 3 more sets from the mint.

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Just shipped my 5 set box to PCGS. My "shaking" of the box revealed only a sound of "yeah, there's something large in there that's moving, but no 'rattles' or metallic sounds". Sent USPS, Priority, return receipt, $1,500 insurance from Cincinnati, OH area. Cost-$837.95 to PCGS and $66.00 to the USPS. >>

Joe >>

Amazing! For $900.00 you could have ordered 3 more sets from the mint. >>

But that would violate the 5 per household limit image

• << <i>Mine just arrived into the hands of PCGS. image >>

I hate you!!!!!!!! Just kidding. Will be interesting when grades start coming back. Maybe 2012 ish image

<< <i>

<< <i>Man, WTF is up with these poorly secured sets? Either the mint did a sloppy job packing these into the blue boxes from the get go or the packaging design stinks.

I'm going with the former. >>

Low paid temp workers hired by the mint's contractor.

The mint contracts all of this work out, from Customer Service to packaging, to distribution . . . >>

the mint packages the single sets.

this is coming from their end

OR

I am beginning to wonder if pressure changes pop loosely sealed capsules open or they are just not pressed together well enough from the get go, then jostling in transit sends them and the coins sliding around.

• kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Mine just arrived into the hands of PCGS. >>

Express Service? >>

No express service other than USPS express mail.
    I'm in no real hurry for grades so I went with modern.
    They just happened to have arrived yesterday around lunch time,
    so I made a trip the P.O. and shipped them.

<< <i>Got mine today awesome looking sets ,I have a question for all people who have theres the reverse of the reverse proof seems to be off in the rotation not by alot but noticeable is that considered an error? or does it have to be greater rotation heres a pic? >>

impossible to tell anything off 1 picture

need it in hand to tell, or at least pictures that show the reverse orientation as compared to the obverse orientation.

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Once my tracking number finally worked, ot shows my items were sent "priority" mail, expected to arriba 11-12. I guess no expedited shipping upgrade for me. Shipped 11-9. >>

Unless they are shipped via UPS, then it would say "UPS Next Day Air". How do they determine which one to use? I live in So Cal. >>

It doesn't. It says "priority." >>

PO box? >>

not in the usa??

<< <i>

<< <i>That tracking number will not be in the UPS system until they actually pick up the package this evenning. >>

He said it was marked as shipped yesterday so it should have showed in tracking today...

I will add I had a ATB P puck delivered from the Mint that NEVER went to a tracking number....it just showed up >>

not supposed to happen, but it happens from time to time.

all part of "normal" for them.

• BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    There's a pretty good "glut" started right now...I'm seeing 179 listings active
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Pitney Bowes (PBGS) is a private company that provides services to the government - does anyone think they will be stuffing boxes full of SAEs tomorrow (a Federal holiday)????

The mint will be. >>

It is a Government holiday ... are you sure? >>

It's ironic isn't it (that the Mint, a government agency, doesn't observe Veteran's Day)? The Mint told be yesterday that the only three holidays it takes off are Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years.

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Hope you all have better luck than I had, the shipping was terrible, all 5 sets , the coins were out of the slots and even out of the plastic caps.. loose rattling around in the wood box... Once re-assembled the sets were beautifull though, just lousy packaging...

image >>

OMG - this is becoming a nightmare >>

I'm going to send this to the Acting Mint Director.

This is not the first time a product has come from the mint like this. Some First Spouse issues have as well. >>

Like many others I'm sure, I've had buffs, plats, ASE's & others arrive loose over the years.

Feel Free, and this was the nicest of the #5...
    I thought it odd that when I cut the carton open all I saw was the bottoms of the blue box's.
    Hopefully I just got a "not too smart" packer and packed them all upside down..

Hope you all have better luck than I did..
    but... My customer was still happy and thats all that mattered to me..... :-) >>

shoot shots of the ALL of them.

the more they see, the stronger the case for taking action. >>

>>

Action? What kind of ACTION? >>

to put some thought into what might be causing this.

Sloppy handliung?

that is actionable.

Capsules pop open on their own and coins slide out?

well, that might test their abilities.

deeper sockets that hold the side of the lid? a piece of high quality cardboard over the capsule lids to help hold the lids down?

any other ideas?

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>
    the more they see, the stronger the case for taking action. >>

Action? What kind of ACTION? >>

Maybe he should get together with the guy who is badgering Congress to investigate the Mint sales of the ASE 25th Set. image >>

you'd rather them send out items with loose coins?

you're not serene, dude.

• erickso1erickso1 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭
    A simple locking clasp.
  • paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> .......

Amazing! For $900.00 you could have ordered 3 more sets from the mint. >>

Great point. And if those 3 extra sets can be sold now for $2400, that's an extra $1500 (less ebay/PP fees) in your pocket. Add the additional profit by selling now before the tidal wave rather than sending these off for grading, it may not be worth as much as some seem to think. Remember, without a 70 set you could end up in the hole.

What we need is a new Hitler video showing him trying to wrap his head around all the different selling / holding options.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • 08hala20

<< <i>A man after my own heart. Those are the exact figures shipping here from MA. $905, helpw out the economy!!! Good Luck with the grading. Joe >>

Back at youimage
  • Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

The mint will be. >>

It's ironic isn't it (that the Mint, a government agency, doesn't observe Veteran's Day)? The Mint told be yesterday that the only three holidays it takes off are Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years. >>

PBGS is a private contractor, you weren't talking to the Mint.
    GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio

• << <i><< Pitney Bowes (PBGS) is a private company that provides services to the government - does anyone think they will be stuffing boxes full of SAEs tomorrow (a Federal holiday)???? UPS will be working, but the PO won't be. >> >>

I can assure you, as a postal employee, that I am working tomorrow. I'm not a carrier but I do work on the "bundle sort machine" and will be processing packages tomorrow. We even work on Christmas.

• << <i>Amazing! For $900.00 you could have ordered 3 more sets from the mint. >> Great point. And if those 3 extra sets can be sold now for $2400, that's an extra $1500 (less ebay/PP fees) in your pocket. Add the additional profit by selling now before the tidal wave rather than sending these off for grading, it may not be worth as much as some seem to think. Remember, without a 70 set you could end up in the hole. >>

If it was just "about the money" yeah, but it's not.

• << <i>

<< <i><< Pitney Bowes (PBGS) is a private company that provides services to the government - does anyone think they will be stuffing boxes full of SAEs tomorrow (a Federal holiday)???? UPS will be working, but the PO won't be. >> >>

I can assure you, as a postal employee, that I am working tomorrow. I'm not a carrier but I do work on the "bundle sort machine" and will be processing packages tomorrow. We even work on Christmas. >>

And Sundays!

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

The mint will be. >>

It's ironic isn't it (that the Mint, a government agency, doesn't observe Veteran's Day)? The Mint told be yesterday that the only three holidays it takes off are Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years. >>

PBGS is a private contractor, you weren't talking to the Mint. >>

Yeah, I misread the initial post I replied to. I believe I was talking to the Mint as the person on the phone claimed to work as an employee of the Mint. Regardless, the Mint is open/processing orders tomorrow, not sure about other companies.

For instance, I'm off work tomorrow but my girlfriend is not. She's a fashion designer in NYC. I work at an energy trading company. Meanwhile her company randomly makes up "holidays" for their employees and everyone takes half days or has parties all day. Go figure.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PM me if you have a set for sale at a reasonable price.
    Yeah yeah yeah... I know, this should be on the BST forum. Someone call the ebay po-po... tell 'em I violated the U.S. Coin Forum rules image

... an' 3445 , for the record.

HE>I

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i><< Pitney Bowes (PBGS) is a private company that provides services to the government - does anyone think they will be stuffing boxes full of SAEs tomorrow (a Federal holiday)???? UPS will be working, but the PO won't be. >> >>

I can assure you, as a postal employee, that I am working tomorrow. I'm not a carrier but I do work on the "bundle sort machine" and will be processing packages tomorrow. We even work on Christmas. >>

And Sundays! >>

there is a branch near me open Sundays 12-5 or 6

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

And Sundays! >>

there is a branch near me open Sundays 12-5 or 6 >>

Interesting, never heard of that. However, unless you were just adding on to my comment, you may have taken it wrong. A lot of people have the misconception that the USPS closes down 100% on Sundays. While BRANCHES/RETAIL stores [mostly] do, the backend does not. Mail still moves on Sundays.
  • Still waiting for shipment info on my set that was ordered at 2:06pm EST. I guess I missed the cutoff for today's shipments. I am sure today will bring good news!! I was hoping for today. I can wait.
    Green neophyte
  • BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    wow....4k
    Link
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • my order shipped today, order was at 1:59pm

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file