Home U.S. Coin Forum

25th Anniversary ASE set

Comments

• RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you list an auction for a 1-day or 3-day sale, it lasts a little while and gets poofed.

But, if you list it as a BIN...you have a shot at a quick buyout.
    Worked for this guy. (not me by the way)

linker >>

Listing zapped.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!

<< <i>THIS ONE appears to be complying with ebay's "special" listing rules for the sets. Let's see if they leave him alone. >>

What are these special listing rules. I must have missed them. Thanks!!
  • Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>prices are high because people are panic bidding on the few to be listed

once the flood hits, and the BIN people list under the closed auction prices, the closing prices will come down and down. >>

Anyone else having puck deja vu? >>

Nope, not at all. Two completely different scenarios (new coin - pucks vs. establish collector's base - ASE)

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Hope you all have better luck than I had, the shipping was terrible, all 5 sets , the coins were out of the slots and even out of the plastic caps.. loose rattling around in the wood box... Once re-assembled the sets were beautifull though, just lousy packaging...image >>

OMG - this is becoming a nightmare >>

I'm going to send this to the Acting Mint Director.

This is not the first time a product has come from the mint like this. Some First Spouse issues have as well. >>

Like many others I'm sure, I've had buffs, plats, ASE's & others arrive loose over the years.

Feel Free, and this was the nicest of the #5...
    I thought it odd that when I cut the carton open all I saw was the bottoms of the blue box's.
    Hopefully I just got a "not too smart" packer and packed them all upside down..

Hope you all have better luck than I did..
    but... My customer was still happy and thats all that mattered to me..... :-) >>

shoot shots of the ALL of them.

the more they see, the stronger the case for taking action. >>

<< <i>I think single sealed boxes will hit $1K soon. Unsealed one are close to $700 with 22 hrs left to bid. I wish I didn't do that presale sealed box for $615 (oops did I just write that image). I don't think the buyer will cancel that sale. I think of it as a early Xmas present as a random act of kindness. At least, that is what my pride tells me. >>

How about all of those who pre-sold to dealers for $70 or less over cost! You did well by comparison.

• << <i>

<< <i>I think single sealed boxes will hit $1K soon. Unsealed one are close to $700 with 22 hrs left to bid. I wish I didn't do that presale sealed box for $615 (oops did I just write that image). I don't think the buyer will cancel that sale. I think of it as a early Xmas present as a random act of kindness. At least, that is what my pride tells me. >>

How about all of those who pre-sold to dealers for $70 or less over cost! You did well by comparison. >>

I know it coud have been worse. Thanks for making the pain a little less. image
    Green neophyte
  • bretts911bretts911 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭
    Some have sold for $770 getting up there

• << <i>Some have sold for $770 getting up there >>

I was just thinking the same. Now the question is, do flippers flip now or wait until the inevitable 70 sets sell thus causing people to want sealed sets in hopes of winning the lotto?
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

How about all of those who pre-sold to dealers for $70 or less over cost! You did well by comparison. >>

Whole lotta folks kickin their own ass fer sure.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Some have sold for $770 getting up there >>

I was just thinking the same. Now the question is, do flippers flip now or wait until the inevitable 70 sets sell thus causing people to want sealed sets in hopes of winning the lotto? >>

An NGC 70 set will yield $4000-5000 well worth the lotto ticket.. a PCGS 70 set 6000-8000image
  • BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    The last several sets/singles on ebay where pretty impressive sales...

Sold $3,600.00
    Sold $3,550.00
    Sold $3,250.00
    Sold $2,800.00
    Sold $3,500.00
    Sold $789.00
    Sold $770.00
    Sold $700.00
    Sold $777.77
    Sold $3,699.00

Linkage
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin

• << <i>

<< <i>

Whole lotta folks kickin their own ass fer sure. >>

My backside is still sore. image
    Green neophyte
  • Yes, I'm a newb and I apologize if my question is "out of line" in it's content and/or it's re-posting but I haven't received any responses to my earlier post, so....

Just received my box of 5 sets. I plan to submit unopened to PCGS for grading but have a sincere question for which I would appreciate any feedback. Why should I spend an extra $450.00 for the "First Strike" designation for 25 coins when certain issues of the 5 ounce "First Strike" pucks are actually valued lower than their non-designated "brothers" (Same coin, same grade but non-First Strike issues are valued higher, per PCGS price guide, than the "First Strikes")? Thanks in advance for any pro or con arguments.
    "The more you complain, the longer God lets you live".
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>Yes, I'm a newb and I apologize if my question is "out of line" in it's content and/or it's re-posting but I haven't received any responses to my earlier post, so....

Just received my box of 5 sets. I plan to submit unopened to PCGS for grading but have a sincere question for which I would appreciate any feedback. Why should I spend an extra $450.00 for the "First Strike" designation for 25 coins when certain issues of the 5 ounce "First Strike" pucks are actually valued lower than their non-designated "brothers" (Same coin, same grade but non-First Strike issues are valued higher, per PCGS price guide, than the "First Strikes")? Thanks in advance for any pro or con arguments. >>

These are not pucks, those were simply a "first of the first release" which always does very well out the gate. The ATB's held for longer, because they were released in a trickle...That's why the thread is/was so big...

These are not the same type of coins...These are ASE's, perhaps the most widely collected series ever...(open for debateimage

IMO FS with these will more than pay for itself in the long run.
  • Thank you Casman.

• << <i>Yes, I'm a newb and I apologize if my question is "out of line" in it's content and/or it's re-posting but I haven't received any responses to my earlier post, so....

Just received my box of 5 sets. I plan to submit unopened to PCGS for grading but have a sincere question for which I would appreciate any feedback. Why should I spend an extra $450.00 for the "First Strike" designation for 25 coins when certain issues of the 5 ounce "First Strike" pucks are actually valued lower than their non-designated "brothers" (Same coin, same grade but non-First Strike issues are valued higher, per PCGS price guide, than the "First Strikes")? Thanks in advance for any pro or con arguments. >>

Pay the FS cash. Its a scam but thats how it is. Stop being such a sissy.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FYI...eBay is aware that the sets are starting to be mailed and today being the 1st day in recipients hands. Any alleged unopened boxes posted for sale before today, have been removed.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • is the mint shipping any size order in the same size box???

• << <i>is the mint shipping any size order in the same size box??? >>

yes - they got a deal from the box producer. No need to care about the customers with only one or two sets
    MT

• << <i>TextPay the FS cash. Its a scam but thats how it is. Stop being such a sissy. >>

Thanks ibex66. I was 99% sure of paying for the FS but just wanted to hear a reasoned argument for it. Being called a sissy is good enough for meimage
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>TextPay the FS cash. Its a scam but thats how it is. Stop being such a sissy. >>

Thanks ibex66. I was 99% sure of paying for the FS but just wanted to hear a reasoned argument for it. Being called a sissy is good enough for meimage >>

Good attitude Clinkin! You will last on the forums. Keep it lite and good luck!

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.

• << <i>

<< <i>TextPay the FS cash. Its a scam but thats how it is. Stop being such a sissy. >>

Thanks ibex66. I was 99% sure of paying for the FS but just wanted to hear a reasoned argument for it. Being called a sissy is good enough for meimage >>

I think for the 2010 ATB being FS does not really matter as a premium, because they can be sent in for reholder and have FS added (all coins considered no matter what)

25th ASE has 30 day cut off with sealed box. These will def. carry a premium for the label chasers
  • commacomma Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    So after 30 days a sealed box means nothing? Starting what day?
    Didn't end up getting any of these from the mint, but curious if I can get my hands on some another way

• << <i>Yes, I'm a newb and I apologize if my question is "out of line" in it's content and/or it's re-posting but I haven't received any responses to my earlier post, so....

The 2010 ATBs do not have a timer on First Strike eligibility like other coins, so that might be why you're not seeing a premium on them.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    Well, I received my first box of two (though all three boxes were supposed to be shipped yesterday according to the Mint but not UPS) and it is a rattler. So, it is decision time. Do I send them in for grading hoping the coins are still in their capsules or open the box and sell each set on eBay raw?

Decisions, decisions!

• << <i>So after 30 days a sealed box means nothing? Starting what day?
    Didn't end up getting any of these from the mint, but curious if I can get my hands on some another way >>

Here is a link to PCGS first strike submission requirements. link Sounds to me as long as the mint receipt is dated before the cutoff date, you can send in the sealed box to have first strike label anytime you want.
  • BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    I can't wait to see how these first "true auction" listings end in the morning...several are 13 hrs from now.
    They ALL have bids and just take a look at the number of views they've had...700-800+

That's quite an interest.
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>So after 30 days a sealed box means nothing? Starting what day?
    Didn't end up getting any of these from the mint, but curious if I can get my hands on some another way >>

Here is a link to PCGS first strike submission requirements. link Sounds to me as long as the mint receipt is dated before the cutoff date, you can send in the sealed box to have first strike label anytime you want. >>

Thats what i thought, no change. Someone on here was saying they were going to be like NGC and have a cut off date for all opened or sealed. Non sense!
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,

<< <i>Pictures from this morning's delivery:

image >>

AMAZING pics! What equipment did you use to take them? Thanks for sharing!!!
  • youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The last several sets/singles on ebay where pretty impressive sales... >>

Wow, last sealed single just sold for $999.99. Item # 220890743446

<< <i>The bones are starting to float to the surface >>

Wow, that takes guts. LOL!!

<< <i>

<< <i>lots of mint newbs here. >>

They're coming from everywhere... image >>

Just like the pucks. Hopfully some will stick around and will become regulars. I started here with the 20th anniv. sets.
  • Someone on the BST has a large number of sets for sale. image
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Good attitude Clinkin! You will last on the forums. Keep it lite and good luck!

>>

obviously missed that part of the Downfall video
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

<< <i>Well, I received my first box of two (though all three boxes were supposed to be shipped yesterday according to the Mint but not UPS) and it is a rattler. So, it is decision time. Do I send them in for grading hoping the coins are still in their capsules or open the box and sell each set on eBay raw?

Decisions, decisions! >>

anyone with pictures of coins outside the capsules, post them!
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>prices are high because people are panic bidding on the few to be listed

once the flood hits, and the BIN people list under the closed auction prices, the closing prices will come down and down. >>

Anyone else having puck deja vu? >>

Nope, not at all. Two completely different scenarios (new coin - pucks vs. establish collector's base - ASE) >>

I totally agree. The ASEs have a well established base and these will do well over time.

I was referring to the once the flood hit the prices will come down, just as with the 20th anniv. sets.

That, along with all of the newbies, the first time Ebay sellers of coins, etc. These are what gives me puck deja vu. I think that, like the 20th sets, the spike in prices which will occur shortly will represent levels which will not be seen for these for many years to come.
  • I was wondering if i could get some advice, i have 2 orders placed 1 single set and 2 sets, I want to keep one set for myself and sell 2 to offset the price, should i sell the 2 sets as unopened sealed and keep the single set and open it, or open the 2 set box and pick my one out of the two and sell the other opened and the one still sealed, which way would be more profitable, or am i not making any sense and it doesn't matter.
    25th silver eagle set
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    I received my 5 sets today as well.

Here is the dilemma. This box is huge and weighs 15 lbs. Delivery of one or multiple boxes of these via mail to PCGS or NGC will cost a huge amount of money.

Best bet seems to walk them into Baltimore and submit them in person.

<< <i>I was wondering if i could get some advice, i have 2 orders placed 1 single set and 2 sets, I want to keep one set for myself and sell 2 to offset the price, should i sell the 2 sets as unopened sealed and keep the single set and open it, or open the 2 set box and pick my one out of the two and sell the other opened and the one still sealed, which way would be more profitable, or am i not making any sense and it doesn't matter. >>

How about sending them all in sealed for grading with all the trimmings?
    That way you can keep a graded set & sell off the other two graded sets. Much more profitable IMHO.

<< <i>I was wondering if i could get some advice, i have 2 orders placed 1 single set and 2 sets, I want to keep one set for myself and sell 2 to offset the price, should i sell the 2 sets as unopened sealed and keep the single set and open it, or open the 2 set box and pick my one out of the two and sell the other opened and the one still sealed, which way would be more profitable, or am i not making any sense and it doesn't matter. >>

keep all sealed and with unmolested shipping labels.

<< <i>

keep all sealed and with unmolested shipping labels. >>

Agreed - keep them unmolested:

Molest: to annoy, disturb, or persecute especially with hostile intent or injurious effect . Don't recommend doing this to the boxes.
    However, if you keep them in their original, unmolested condition, you cannot look at your own set.
  • my 12:37 order shipped today. seems they are doing FIFO. i saw in my account it was shipped around noon. tracking # is dysfunctional. so much for next day air. looks like i will get them friday.
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
    while it is slow..... (unlike again tomorrow)

please post photos if you get coins outside their capsules.

I am hesitant to start name calling on them, as I am beginning to wonder if air pressure changes could pop them open, but the Mint people need to be made aware of this issue. It definitely is recurring.

• 66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    Notice the S mm in the last picture is way left. Could be a marker! Just thought it was interesting.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Based on what I’ve seen, you should be concerned with shipping an un-opened box to the TPG’s, as there is a pretty good probability that some coins will be damaged in transit, having been shaken not only out of the display, but also out of the protective capsule. Personally, I wouldn’t risk it – that’s why I decided to go ahead and open my box of five.

Regarding the photos taken this morning, I’m using a Cannon EOS T2i with a 38-135mm lens, set at about 70mm, and a four 150w light set-up (no shadows) with a graduated photo-paper background. The cropping and reflection is done with PhotoScape 3.5:
    http://photoscape.org/ps/main/download.php

best regards,
    Ed Davidson

<< <i>Someone on the BST has a large number of sets for sale. image >>

Noticed that & also that he's not getting a lot of support there.
    Good luck with that!
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Just like the pucks. Hopfully some will stick around and will become regulars. I started here with the 20th anniv. sets. >>

And this is why the members who could care less about ASEs should be tolerant while the forum is temporarily overun with ASE threads. New collectors (and members) are good for the hobby and good for the coin business.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Just like the pucks. Hopfully some will stick around and will become regulars. I started here with the 20th anniv. sets. >>

And this is why the members who could care less about ASEs should be tolerant while the forum is temporarily overun with ASE threads. New collectors (and members) are good for the hobby and good for the coin business. >>

I wonder how many are here just to collect money and not coins......
  • So I get a UPS InfoNotice on my door, saying my package from PBGS has been left with a neighbor, even though I never authorized UPS to do that. My neighbor is not home right now. I'm thinking these are my five sets that came and what if he accidentally opens the box. image I went through my Mint order tracking and fortunately it was my Lucy Hayes and ATBs that were delivered, not my five sets. But is UPS allowed to just leave packages with a neighbor WITHOUT authorization? This has never happened to me before. What if I wasn't on good terms with my neighbor? God, I hate UPS!
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I received my 5 sets today as well.

Here is the dilemma. This box is huge and weighs 15 lbs. Delivery of one or multiple boxes of these via mail to PCGS or NGC will cost a huge amount of money.

Best bet seems to walk them into Baltimore and submit them in person. >>

Priority registered will keep the insurance cost down. Four box's of five (Bo5) in a single shipping box insured for $15K would cost about $100. For any shipped item with a value over $750 registered is usually cheaper.

(New term for box of five - Bo5) image

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file