Home U.S. Coin Forum

25th Anniversary ASE set

Comments

• I think your right 70's will be far in between if this happens, ouch
    25th silver eagle set
  • For anyone with the question of the time saying AM mine have shipped with a time of 12:39 AM
    25th silver eagle set
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If that one open one goes for $900.....zing!
  • mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think your right 70's will be far in between if this happens, ouch >>

Translation: few and far between. But I totally agree with your sentiments. It makes me wonder if submitting a sealed box is such a wise idea. Maybe I should shake my box and see if I can hear any rattling before deciding image
  • I wonder why this person opened up the five set box and sold them like this. I think that move will cost him/her some big dollars. It would be better if they listed them as singles.

Link
    Green neophyte
  • i agree, and on top of it 0 feedback buyers are going to be weary.
    25th silver eagle set
  • I agree...shake the box real good.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Hope you all have better luck than I had, the shipping was terrible, all 5 sets , the coins were out of the slots and even out of the plastic caps.. loose rattling around in the wood box... Once re-assembled the sets were beautifull though, just lousy packaging...image >>

OMG - this is becoming a nightmare >>

I'm going to send this to the Acting Mint Director.

This is not the first time a product has come from the mint like this. Some First Spouse issues have as well.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

This is not the first time a product has come from the mint like this. Some First Spouse issues have as well. >>

AGE proofs too on my last order.

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Hope you all have better luck than I had, the shipping was terrible, all 5 sets , the coins were out of the slots and even out of the plastic caps.. loose rattling around in the wood box... Once re-assembled the sets were beautifull though, just lousy packaging...image >>

This is not the first time a product has come from the mint like this. Some First Spouse issues have as well. >>

Feel Free, and this was the nicest of the #5...
    I thought it odd that when I cut the carton open all I saw was the bottoms of the blue box's.
    Hopefully I just got a "not too smart" packer and packed them all upside down..

Hope you all have better luck than I did..
    but... My customer was still happy and thats all that mattered to me..... :-)
    Support your local Coin Shop
    LM-ANA3242-CSNS308-MSNS226-ICTA
  • Is there a place one can take a sealed box and have it x-rayed to see if any coins are not where they should be?
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • EggerEgger Posts: 418 ✭✭

<< <i>Is there a place one can take a sealed box and have it x-rayed to see if any coins are not where they should be? >>

an airport , the TSA would be glad to help
  • CoinMeisterCoinMeister Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I had a $5 San Francisco Old Mint Proof coin arrive out of the lens. I looked it over with a 16X loop. It was fine. I guess I was lucky. If I had to send it back, I would have just received a replacement. However, in the case of a sold out issue, what would you do if the coin had a scratch on it? What if it were one of the two "money" coins (RP or 'S') Grin and bear it???! Even worse is if this happens to a sealed set going off to a TPG service. Now you really get whacked!
    "What we are never changes, but who we are ... never stops changing."

• << <i>

<< <i>Is there a place one can take a sealed box and have it x-rayed to see if any coins are not where they should be? >>

an airport , the TSA would be glad to help >>

Additional condition: ... and not be molested.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    There are a LOT of in-hand sets for sale now that are not being Poofed!

A Set of 5 went for 3500
    the bay
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • ObiwancanoliObiwancanoli Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure, exactly, WHERE my friend stands on this issue...

He ordered 3 times - 3, 1, & 1 - and recently received 3 letters from the Mint, one for each order... they required he complete and return these within 10 days of the date of the letter (11/4), otherwise the order(s) would be cancelled.

He keeps checking via the "Track Order" link on the Mint website - he doesn't have an account, never ordered from them before - and the first of the 3 orders, for 3 sets, won't come up, but the other two single sets ordered AFTER that DO show up, "on hold", with a BO / future delivery date...

He said that he has not received any emails from the Mint regarding his status on a waiting list, being cancelled, etc., so I must assume the Mint is waiting for these "confirmation letters" to be returned before giving them the "GO" signal...

I s'pose there's nothing I can tell him that's concrete, but have to ask if the Mint would go to the trouble of sending these letters, given the facts, for orders which, if legitimate, might still be cancelled?

Any thoughts?

UBERCOINER

A Truth That's Told With Bad Intent
    Beats All The Lies You Can Invent
  • CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭
    This could be a key indicator Auction $5999.99
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,

<< <i>Heres another person opening the box, why why.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-25th-Anniversary-Silver-Eagle-sets-HAND-and-OVERNIGHT-SHIPPING-/180752961950?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item2a15b7519e >>

with all these noob flippers, opening boxes, this makes sealed boxes and 25th set labels all the more better
  • GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Posted on Mint News Blog-- Hilarious video
    Note I am not sure how to make it link, but you can cut and paste into browser to see. I don't know who Egger is, but this is great.

Egger says:

November 9, 2011 at 10:49 am

Here is a downfall parody video I made

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpvqtsqZjHU

Hitler tries to order the 25 anniversary set.
  • paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

<< <i>Wouldn't you think that the U.S. Mint would use better tape, not the kind you get at the 99 cent store, to seal these boxes? It is a shame. >>

Absolutely. I use heavy duty reinforced kraft paper tape on everything I ship - and so should the Mint. Their tape is so thin it looks like you can open the box simply by running your fingernail along the seam.

And as far as their packaging, I guess this really is how they assembled the sets:

There's a total lack of leadership over there. They are becoming a joke.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Feel Free, and this was the nicest of the #5...
    I thought it odd that when I cut the carton open all I saw was the bottoms of the blue box's.
    Hopefully I just got a "not too smart" packer and packed them all upside down..

Hope you all have better luck than I did..
    but... My customer was still happy and thats all that mattered to me..... :-) >>

shoot shots of the ALL of them.

the more they see, the stronger the case for taking action.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

<< <i>Posted on Mint News Blog-- Hilarious video
    Note I am not sure how to make it link, but you can cut and paste into browser to see. I don't know who Egger is, but this is great.

Egger says:

November 9, 2011 at 10:49 am

Here is a downfall parody video I made

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpvqtsqZjHU

Hitler tries to order the 25 anniversary set. >>

here let me link my video

Downfall - Hitler orders the 25th set

• I think single sealed boxes will hit $1K soon. Unsealed one are close to $700 with 22 hrs left to bid. I wish I didn't do that presale sealed box for $615 (oops did I just write that image). I don't think the buyer will cancel that sale. I think of it as a early Xmas present as a random act of kindness. At least, that is what my pride tells me.
    Green neophyte
  • GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks! It is so good and worth sharing.
    ROFL
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<I wonder why this person opened up the five set box and sold them like this. I think that move will cost him/her some big dollars. It would be better if they listed them as singles.>>

Probably nothing more than someone not being tuned into the intricacies of maximizing profits...like those around here. They're probably just happy to be making a quick flip and doubling (or more) their money!
    OMG that video is funny!
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
    << Heres another person opening the box, why why.

<<http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-25th-Anniversary-Silver-Eagle-sets-HAND-and-OVERNIGHT-SHIPPING-/180752961950?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item2a15b7519e >>

<<auction >>

If that OPEN box of 5 goes for $6,000...I may have to reconsider my overall strategy!

• scotty1419scotty1419 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

<< <i><<I wonder why this person opened up the five set box and sold them like this. I think that move will cost him/her some big dollars. It would be better if they listed them as singles.>>

Probably nothing more than someone not being tuned into the intricacies of maximizing profits...like those around here. They're probably just happy to be making a quick flip and doubling (or more) their money! >>

If you look at any selling asking prices on ebay, there really isnt a big $ difference right now between sealed and unsealed. That'll probably widen later?
  • commacomma Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    I called the geniuses at the mint again today about my order they cancelled yesterday after my cc was charged and everything was "good to go". Asked why, once again, they had no idea. They said yes my spending limit was $3k, so that wasn't an issue. Billing and shipping matched, so that wasn't an issue. When I asked when I'll get the $1500 back in my account they said that wasn't their problem (it's been gone for 3 days), and gave me the complaint hotline number. This is a joke. Just my rant for the day as I see all the giddy people getting their sets in hand image
  • That video had me in stitches and water gusting from my eyes. That is one of the funniest parodies I have ever seen. Kudos to who sent the time to edit it. Must have been doing it while trying to place an order online or on the phone. A keeper in my book.
    Green neophyte

<< <i>I called the geniuses at the mint again today about my order they cancelled yesterday after my cc was charged and everything was "good to go". Asked why, once again, they had no idea. They said yes my spending limit was $3k, so that wasn't an issue. Billing and shipping matched, so that wasn't an issue. When I asked when I'll get the $1500 back in my account they said that wasn't their problem (it's been gone for 3 days), and gave me the complaint hotline number. This is a joke. Just my rant for the day as I see all the giddy people getting their sets in hand image >>

Just worry about getting the sets first, then you can raise holy hell image
    Looks like people are already splitting the sets up

Reverse Proof Auction

• << <i>When I asked when I'll get the $1500 back in my account they said that wasn't their problem (it's been gone for 3 days),... >>

The money was removed from your account on Sunday?
  • CoinMeisterCoinMeister Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i><<I wonder why this person opened up the five set box and sold them like this. I think that move will cost him/her some big dollars. It would be better if they listed them as singles.>>

Probably nothing more than someone not being tuned into the intricacies of maximizing profits...like those around here. They're probably just happy to be making a quick flip and doubling (or more) their money! >>

If you look at any selling asking prices on ebay, there really isnt a big $ difference right now between sealed and unsealed. That'll probably widen later? >>

Right now you can buy any set and get the 25th Anniversary Set label and First Strike/Early Releases on the 'S' and 'RP' coin opened or not. Once that deadline passes, opened sets may see a decline in price. It really depends on your collecting/investing need at the moment of purchase.
    "What we are never changes, but who we are ... never stops changing."

<< <i>

<< <i>I called the geniuses at the mint again today about my order they cancelled yesterday after my cc was charged and everything was "good to go". Asked why, once again, they had no idea. They said yes my spending limit was $3k, so that wasn't an issue. Billing and shipping matched, so that wasn't an issue. When I asked when I'll get the $1500 back in my account they said that wasn't their problem (it's been gone for 3 days), and gave me the complaint hotline number. This is a joke. Just my rant for the day as I see all the giddy people getting their sets in hand image >>

Just worry about getting the sets first, then you can raise holy hell image >>

Im not getting them image thats why Im raising holy hell. haha. The order was completely cancelled. Nothing they will do.

<< <i>

<< <i>When I asked when I'll get the $1500 back in my account they said that wasn't their problem (it's been gone for 3 days),... >>

The money was removed from your account on Sunday? >>

Late Sunday night/early Monday morning ya. This is 3rd day the money has been out of my account. And not getting the coins and having to listen to the people at the Mint treat me like crap for no reason sure doesn't help...
    I personally can't afford to buy anymore, but I think 600/set is likely a bargain right now.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

And if a buyer opens your sealed box and sees coins out of the capsules and files a SNAD, you will end up taking it back and you will end up eating any premium that your sealed box would have had.
    theknowitalltroll;

• << <i>

If you look at any selling asking prices on ebay, there really isnt a big $ difference right now between sealed and unsealed. That'll probably widen later? >>

That is for sets of five. I am sure they will resell as singles and make a tidy profit. As for single sealed boxes, that is where the money difference will be the largest compared to opened sets sold as singles.
    Green neophyte
  • Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The high brows in the Ebay legal dept must be in frantic mode right now. I think b/c these sets are going for so much that it is in Ebay's best interest to ensure the buyers are secured in getting the merchandise or Ebay's integrity and service will take a hit. I think they are going about this in the right way, being proactive. The next step is harder, communicate to the selllers what the bleep they need from them to sell the sets without risk of being zapped. It has to be fair both ways. >>

Simple, hold funds in sellers account until buyer is satisfied. They do this all the time. If I ran ebay, any sale over $1000 would be treated this way. >>

and they open the box and say, nope, not satisfied. There goes the set grading. Of course, this is the case now. Heck with the people who pay your fees.
    there are about 30-40 pages of old threads that have on averge >1 25th thread on them.

• fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Heres another person opening the box, why why. >>

auction >>

maybe to put the loose coins back into the holders?

looks like i will only have about 5 days (mint ship est date 11/22) to submit for FS.
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • THAT WAS GREAT... IT MADE MY DAY
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>The high brows in the Ebay legal dept must be in frantic mode right now. I think b/c these sets are going for so much that it is in Ebay's best interest to ensure the buyers are secured in getting the merchandise or Ebay's integrity and service will take a hit. I think they are going about this in the right way, being proactive. The next step is harder, communicate to the selllers what the bleep they need from them to sell the sets without risk of being zapped. It has to be fair both ways. >>

Simple, hold funds in sellers account until buyer is satisfied. They do this all the time. If I ran ebay, any sale over $1000 would be treated this way. >>

and they open the box and say, nope, not satisfied. There goes the set grading. Of course, this is the case now. Heck with the people who pay your fees. >>

I don't sell or buy sealed, unseen promises on ebay. Those that do need to be fully aware of the additional risk.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• okay, the charges still show as pending on my cc and i don't have shipped status at the mint. Is anyone else in this boat? Should I start to worry?
  • pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>While you all rightly celebrate your sets on the way, this is what I have to show for my five hours of totally wasted effort - just got this:

Dear United States Mint Customer,

Thank you so much for your interest in the American Eagle 25th Anniversary Silver Coin Set.

Due to overwhelming demand, the product reached its production limit in sales quickly and the United States Mint accepted a limited number of orders on a waiting list in the event that products became available due to order cancellations.

At this time, we can only confirm that your order is on the waiting list. As we continue to process orders for the American Eagle 25th Anniversary Silver Coin Set, there may be cancellations that allow us to fulfill some portion of the waiting list orders.

Should we be able to fulfill your order, you will receive a shipping confirmation notification from us once your order has been shipped. If your order will not be processed, you will receive an order cancellation notification confirming this when your order is cancelled from our system.

The United States Mint

This message was sent from a notification only e-mail address that cannot accept incoming e-mail messages. Please do not reply. Visit www.usmint.gov for more information.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This email was sent to rsbank@aol.com using GovDelivery, on behalf of: The United States Mint · 1-800-872-6468 >>

You think that's bad?

Dear United States Mint Customer,

Thank you so much for your interest in the American Eagle 25th Anniversary Silver Coin Set.

Due to overwhelming demand, the product reached its production limit in sales quickly and the United States Mint accepted a limited number of orders on a waiting list in the event that products became available due to order cancellations.

Unfortunately, based on the time your order was taken, we can now confirm that your waiting list order will not be processed. Please note you will receive an order cancellation notification confirming this when your order is cancelled from our system.

The United States Mint >>

My order was 5:42 eastern. When was yours. It would be interesting to figure out the time cut off for the different notices. >>

Raufus - my order was placed at 5:42 PM EDST as well but I have yet to receive a wait list or cancellation notice from the Mint. We may be able to determine the exact order number for the cut-off time. My order number is 383857xx.

Tim
    <<http://www.moderncoinmart.com/cart1/product.php?productid=24529&cat=0&page=1>&gt;

MCM just waded into the crazy pool...no prices yet available for various sale options, including raw and graded.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file