Home U.S. Coin Forum

25th Anniversary ASE set

Comments

• kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

<< <i>oh my...

2011 5-piece ANACS 70 FDOI Silver Eagle Dollars 25th Anniversary SetItem: 161-740
    HSN Price: $2,999.95 Shipping & Handling: $18.95

link

edited to correct link >>

Labels state they have 200 sets. How many did they have buy to get 200 sets in 70? 201 maybe?
  • CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>First post to this forum, but have read the posts here for awhile. Maybe not the first post (apparently my forth), but it's been awhile...

Can someone please let me know how much PCGS wants, per box, to return the mint boxes and literature?

Thank You in advance. (I got in and ordered/received 3 sets, one for me, one for my brother, and one for my niece. I'm happy (assuming no sliders).) >>

I thought that all you had to do was request the packaging back and there was no cost, My set of three is already at our hosts and I did not include anymore money for the return. And I was told I could put all three coins on one line instead of seperatly didn't realize the numbers will not be in sequence oh well another lesson. Enjoy image >>

I believe if you get first strike it is free, all others $1.00 per.
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's so wonderful to be blessed with good friends....

Despite myself, my father and brother striking out after trying for 5 hours on the computer and on the phone, I now have sitting beside me a sealed mint box of 5 sets.

One of my friends whom I told about the coins was able to get in at 1:30. Knowing full well what they are bringing on FeeBay right now, he gave me the box and told me to pick any two sets for his cost. I offered to sell the others on Ebay for him which I will do this weekend.

To top it off, one of my other buddies who also got fives sets just called to inform me that his arrived. He is selling me one set of my choice at cost.

I feel confident that I'll be able to get a PCGS MS70FS RP and '11 s given the opportunity to cherry-pick 10 sets thus leaving me two sets in OGP and one with, hopefully, the above RP and '11s.

What a blessing to have such great friends :-)

Edited to add: Of course, hopefully my friends are happy as well as, without me, they would never have heard of these sets.

The guy who offered my the one set walked out of the Balto show a few years back w/$15K for a bunch of 2008 ASE w/07 Rev. coins which he was going to sell as bullion until I overheard him talking about them an realized that he might have the 08 w/07 Rev coins which he did. So, hopefully I've earned my keep :-)

Edited again to add.....MAN these look FANTASTIC!!!
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • i think when you send in a mint sealed box you automatically get the mint packaging returned. i usually write on the submission form that i want the packaging but there are times that i forgot to and always got packaging back.
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.

• << <i>It's so wonderful to be blessed with good friends....

Despite myself, my father and brother striking out after trying for 5 hours on the computer and on the phone, I now have sitting beside me a sealed mint box of 5 sets.

One of my friends whom I told about the coins was able to get in at 1:30. Knowing full well what they are bringing on FeeBay right now, he gave me the box and told me to pick any two sets for his cost. I offered to sell the others on Ebay for him which I will do this weekend.

To top it off, one of my other buddies who also got fives sets just called to inform me that his arrived. He is selling me one set of my choice at cost.

I feel confident that I'll be able to get a PCGS MS70FS RP and '11 s given the opportunity to cherry-pick 10 sets thus leaving me two sets in OGP and one with, hopefully, the above RP and '11s.

Edited to add: Of course, hopefully my friends are happy as well as, without me, they would never have heard of these sets.

The guy who offered my the one set walked out of the Balto show a few years back w/$15K for a bunch of 2008 ASE w/07 Rev. coins which he was going to sell as bullion until I overheard him talking about them an realized that he might have the 08 w/07 Rev coins which he did. So, hopefully I've earned my keep :-) >>

raufus, thats some pretty good karma you got going on there. image
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.

<< <i>

<< <i>It's so wonderful to be blessed with good friends....

The guy who offered my the one set walked out of the Balto show a few years back w/$15K for a bunch of 2008 ASE w/07 Rev. coins which he was going to sell as bullion until I overheard him talking about them an realized that he might have the 08 w/07 Rev coins which he did. So, hopefully I've earned my keep :-) >>

raufus, thats some pretty good karma you got going on there. image >>

Indeed :-)

• << <i>

<< <i>oh my...

2011 5-piece ANACS 70 FDOI Silver Eagle Dollars 25th Anniversary SetItem: 161-740
    HSN Price: $2,999.95 Shipping & Handling: $18.95

link >>

PCGS slabs will probably double that for a 70 set. >>

I wondered why anyone buys these ANACS sets. That guy Mike makes it sound like these are the best of the best. "The First Day of Issue folks, only 200 sets for worldwide distribution. I don't know if we will have any left for the primetime show tomorrow. This is an extraordinary deal, no doubt about. Coins are graded on a 70 point scale, not 100. These are sold-out limited editions, never to be struck again!" He haunts me, but I will still watch him.
    Green neophyte
    Since many of your are keeping your sets sealed, for what it's worth, I'll offer my observations as I cherry-pick through the first set of five...

Looking at the Unc W's first...

Three of them have a substantial "shiny" area where the satin finish is worn off on lady liberty's left hand. It appears that this area rubbed against the inside of the capsule. I'll be that this will happen with a lot of these. May well be tough to find many in PCGS MS70. No onto the Proofs...

Edited: Looking closely, ALL five of the Unc Ws have this shiny spot on liberty's left hand where the coin rubbed against this inside of the capsule. If PCGS knocks these down to 69s for this there will be very, very few 70s.
  • hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

The guy who offered my the one set walked out of the Balto show a few years back w/$15K for a bunch of 2008 ASE w/07 Rev. coins which he was going to sell as bullion until I overheard him talking about them an realized that he might have the 08 w/07 Rev coins which he did. So, hopefully I've earned my keep :-)

Edited again to add.....MAN these look FANTASTIC!!! >>

Everything happens for a reason. Your being shutout, brought you the best pick of coins, plus reaffirmation of having special friends. Sweet....

<< <i>

Edited again to add.....MAN these look FANTASTIC!!! >>

Everything happens for a reason. Your being shutout, brought you the best pick of coins, plus reaffirmation of having special friends. Sweet.... >>

Thanks :-) Kinda like what my wife said.....my trying to help out my friends was rewarded by reciprocal acts of kindness.
  • Hi,I have a 5 set box shipping but it says it only weighs in at 12.60lbs. Seems like most orders of 5 were 15lbs. Anyone else have one that weighed less. Laters
  • My 5 sets were shipped today. Does UPS deliver on Saturday?
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good to hear all is well, Raufus. Crisis averted and full-speed ahead with the grading.....

Let the games continue to begin, again!

Now, where did I put my shiny UHR's? These BST threads with higher pricing are inspiring me.

Miles

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
    Hi Miles-

Thanks very much :-)

Have a great weekend, R-
    As to the proofs...

Four of the five look fantastic. No distractions w/a 5x loupe.

One has some haziness on the reverse field.
    Very interesting finding on the RPs...

ALL FIVE of the RPs have the exact same small frost break just above and to the right of the "B" in Liberty. It is visible w/the naked eye in good light.

There are small proof breaks in addition to the one above on the obverse of two other coins and one very slight edge ding. One has a very small frost break on the reverse.

Man I LOVE these RPs, esp. the reverse.

I look forward to hearing form others. Do you all see this same frost break as I described above?
  • This Thread Needs Photos...

My Ebay Auctions

Currently Listed: Nothing

Take Care, Dave
  • kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    image Raufus image
    As to the business strikes....

One of them has a HUGE lazy S shaped scratch extending from the bottom of the eagle to the "A" in DOLLAR - OUCH!

Another has some pretty obvious rim dings extending from the "M" in AMERICA to the "D" in dollar.

The obverse of both of these looks good.

The third coin has a deep rim ding above the "T" in Liberty but is otherwise very nice (big otherwise).

The fourth coin has a very small rim ding on the obverse which can only be seen at 5x and is otherwise VERY clean. This one would have a good shot at MS70.

Lots of small shiny dings on the obverse of the fifth one.

So, of the business strikes one possible 70, one likely 69, two likely 68s and a likely 66 or 67.

A couple of these has small particles of foreign material in the capsules. I had to carefully open them and blew the junk out w/dry compressed air.

<< <i>image Raufus image >>

Thanks!!!!

I have to say that I so very much appreciate the comradery of this forum. It adds immeasurably to my enjoyment of the hobby.

• I heard there were 200 anacs 70 sets on HSN? It seems impossible since with the top grading services you would likely have to submit at least 1000 sets to get 200 sets. IN addition, some posters are already claiming dings in the coins that would make it difficult to get a 70. Now I know why you rarely find anyone willing to pay anything more than the raw price for an ANACS coin.
  • CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As to the business strikes....

One of them has a HUGE lazy S shaped scratch extending from the bottom of the eagle to the "A" in DOLLAR - OUCH!

Another has some pretty obvious rim dings extending from the "M" in AMERICA to the "D" in dollar.

The third coin has a deep rim ding above the "T" in Liberty but is otherwise very nice (big otherwise).

The fourth coin has a very small rim ding on the obverse which can only be seen at 5x and is otherwise VERY clean. This one would have a good shot at MS70.

So, of the business strikes one possible 70, one likely 69, two likely 68s and a likely 66 or 67.

A couple of these has small particles of foreign material in the capsules. I had to carefully open them and blew the junk out w/dry compressed air. >>

Quick question why are you looking at the other three since you are not sending in a sealed set?
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
    And finally the S Uncs......

Coin 1 is a disaster: BIG rim dings around the "B" in Liberty. Numerous smaller dings on Liberty's arm, a small piece of black junk at 3 o'clock on the right field on the obverse. I think that someone may have dropped this one at The Mint - seriously.

The reverse of 1 is flawless.

Coin 2: SAME rim dings but not quite as bad but in the exact same places on the edge above the right side of the B. What's up with this?? In addition, like 1, there are small dings in Liberty's R arm. Again, reverse looks good.

Coin 3: Killer rim ding - no dent - just to the left of the "B". Also some shiny spots on Liberty's right arm. This ding is the only one that is immediately obvious to the naked eye. There are several dings on the reverse, also easily observable with the naked eye. Yikes!

Coin 4: Same rim ding as 1 and 2 along with a few shiny spots on Liberty's right arm, again! Small but visible to the naked eye shiny spot on the reverse near the "jm" initials.

Coin 5: Same ring dings as 1,2 and 4, same but worse shiny spots on Liberty's right arm, small shiny spot on the reverse between the "A" in "AMERICA" and the eagle.

Wow, this sucks. These are perhaps the best of the five coins in these sets and none of the five would come close to a 70.

It's interesting that 4 of the 5 have almost identical rim dings with the other coin having a similar ding but on the other side of the B.

It's also interesting that, unlike all five of the W Uncs NONE of the S Uncs have that shiny area on the high point of Liberty's left hand.

I'm very glad that I get to cherry-pick another five sets tomorrow night. Won't be grading any of these S Uncs for sure. What a bummer. This is my favorite coin of the set. I find that given the very good fortune of being able to cherry-pick from five sets I am in the position of not picking the two gems but instead trying to decide between are the least worse of five dogs.

So, for what it's worth, those are my comments on these five sets.

I'd love to hear what others find who have opened their sets.

I can say with certainty that there is no way that a full 70 set would come from these five sets.

I have to say, these are really beautiful sets and the OGP is fantastic. It's a shame that we have to pick apart every detail of every coin. But of course, that's what we do

Now off to Ebay to make a grand or two for my friend...

<< <i>

<< <i>As to the business strikes....

A couple of these has small particles of foreign material in the capsules. I had to carefully open them and blew the junk out w/dry compressed air. >>

Quick question why are you looking at the other three since you are not sending in a sealed set? >>

Just to give a preview of what I found to the others on the forum who are sending in sealed sets. I thought that they might like to know what I found as some indicator of what to expect.
  • Received Order shipped Email at 21:40 hrs. today.
    Tracking # info. is not available as I post this.

Order number: 38352XXX

Order Date: 10/27/2011 at 02:45 PM

Order Status: Your order request has been shipped.

Single set order.

------------------------------------------------------------

Order number: 38354XXX

Order Date: 10/27/2011 at 02:53 PM

Order Status: Your order request is in process.

Single set order.

_Reset
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This Thread Needs Photos...

image >>

Is it possible to get 20 PCGS slabs into the box?
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Hi, I got no answer yet ,does anyone have a 5 set order that only weighs 12lbs. I thought people were posting weights of 15lbs for 5 sets.Also what is the weight of just a set buy itself? That would let me get a understanding if 5 would even be 12lbs.Maybe they hit a 2 instead of 5 on weight.laters
  • youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

<< <i>And finally the S Uncs......

Wow, this sucks. These are perhaps the best of the five coins in these sets and none of the five would come close to a 70.

I am in the position of not picking the two gems but instead trying to decide between are the least worse of five dogs.

I can say with certainty that there is no way that a full 70 set would come from these five sets. >>

How many of the 25 have a shot at 70?

Appreciate the post. Re-evaluation in order when considering grading based on your assessment.

<< <i>Hi, I got no answer yet ,does anyone have a 5 set order that only weighs 12lbs. I thought people were posting weights of 15lbs for 5 sets.Also what is the weight of just a set buy itself? That would let me get a understanding if 5 would even be 12lbs.Maybe they hit a 2 instead of 5 on weight.laters >>

Can you clarify?
    Sorry, no further info until 8am EST.... .............................................

Apologies for not linking.

http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/TopCategoriesDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>Hi, I got no answer yet ,does anyone have a 5 set order that only weighs 12lbs. I thought people were posting weights of 15lbs for 5 sets.Also what is the weight of just a set buy itself? That would let me get a understanding if 5 would even be 12lbs.Maybe they hit a 2 instead of 5 on weight.laters >>

Set weights 2LBS 13.9 oz., there's not much packaging. I've found several coins out of the capsules, but with the capsules still together and in the hole...

WTF, did they just throw these in the box...

<< <i>

I am in the position of not picking the two gems but instead trying to decide between are the least worse of five dogs.

I can say with certainty that there is no way that a full 70 set would come from these five sets. >>

Appreciate the post. Re-evaluation in order when considering grading based on your assessment. >>

My pleasure. I just bought a great Marco lens for my N7000. Unfortunately, I don't have the correct tripod for it yet or I'd take some pics where you can clearly see what I'm talking about.

I'll try some handheld pics tomorrow. If they come out, I'll post them.

<< <i>

Appreciate the post. Re-evaluation in order when considering grading based on your assessment. >>

Sorry, I didn't answer your question about the 70s...

NONE of the S Uncs to be sure, in fact I think that only two would have a shot at MS69. Most unfortunately the S Uncs were - by far - the dogs.

Possibly, but doubtful one of the W Uncs.

Possibly but doubtful one of the business strikes. The business strike with the huge scratch was, by far, the worst of the 25.

One of the RPs possibly two - really depends on how tough they are on small frost breaks.

Possibly three of the regular proofs - the best of the bunch, by far.

Another friend is bringing over another sealed set of five tomorrow night. He received that box on Thurs. The sets that I reported on tonight were received by my other friend today.

I'll let you all know how tomorrow's five sets look tomorrow night.

I'll be thrilled if I can get one likely S Unc MS70 out of the ten sets.
    I just listed the first of my friends sets. I was reading about open singles going for $850+ earlier today. Looks like $750 w/free shipping is a nice yield now.

Listed as a 3 day BIN. Wondering whether a 1 day auction would do better. It will be interesting to follow this weekend.

Good night :-)
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WHY!!!

why did the box get opened???

WHY!!!

Man, I'm going to get killed on that opened box.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

<< <i>

<< <i>

Sorry, I didn't answer your question about the 70s...

NONE of the S Uncs to be sure, in fact I think that only two would have a shot at MS69. Most unfortunately the S Uncs were - by far - the dogs.

Possibly, but doubtful one of the W Uncs.

Possibly but doubtful one of the business strikes. The business strike with the huge scratch was, by far, the worst of the 25.

One of the RPs possibly two - really depends on how tough they are on small frost breaks.

Possibly three of the regular proofs - the best of the bunch, by far.

Another friend is bringing over another sealed set of five tomorrow night. He received that box on Thurs. The sets that I reported on tonight were received by my other friend today.

I'll let you all know how tomorrow's five sets look tomorrow night.

I'll be thrilled if I can get one likely S Unc MS70 out of the ten sets. >>

Definitely would appreciate any further info. At $250 a set plus shipping, not sure whether grading is the way to go.
    Expecting sets next week from the Mint -
  • Raufus, thanks for posting your observations on the coin defects you've seen. Those of us thinking about sending these in for grading appreciate the data points. If the defects are this prevalent in the general population, a 70 set will bring moon money.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • those who received loose capsules, were your sets packed upside down too? image
    "I'm dropping my standards so that I can buy more"
  • ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

<<Set weights 2LBS 13.9 oz., there's not much packaging. I've found several coins out of the capsules, but with the capsules still together and in the hole...

WTF, did they just throw these in the box... >>

That's what you get when you hire unskilled minimum wage workers.
    Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-
  • giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi, my UPS box of 5 sets shows a weight of 12 lbs on the label. I'm not opening the sealed box but I don't think you have anything to worry about ... at least not in that regard image
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.

• << <i>

Hi, my UPS box of 5 sets shows a weight of 12 lbs on the label. I'm not opening the sealed box but I don't think you have anything to worry about ... at least not in that regard image >>

I ordered 5 sets. UPS page shows: Shipped/Billed On: 11/11/2011 Type: Package Weight: 15.30 lbs

• Great pic with the 5 slabs fitting in the presentation box....perfect for display of my 70 set........well after reading Raufus' comments, 69 set? 68?
    Well, slightly off topic. I am subscribed to this thread and had 61 e-mails in my Inbox when I got up this morning. My cup overfloweth ... can anybody tell me how to unsubscribe? Thanks and 70s all around.

• << <i>my 5 sets are almost in the pipeline.image

Detailed Results:

Arrival at Post Office, November 11, 2011, 11:21 am, NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
    Processed through USPS Sort Facility, November 11, 2011, 8:00 am, SANTA ANA, CA 92799
    Processed through USPS Sort Facility, November 10, 2011, 9:12 pm, JAMAICA, NY 11430
    Processed through USPS Sort Facility, November 10, 2011, 6:04 pm, STAMFORD, CT 06910
    Dispatched from USPS Sort Facility, November 10, 2011, STAMFORD, CT 06910
    Acceptance, November 10, 2011, 4:57 pm, DANBURY, CT 06810
    Dispatched from USPS Sort Facility, November 10, 2011, SANTA ANA, CA 92799
    Electronic Shipping Info Received, November 09, 2011
    Dispatched to Sort Facility, November 09, 2011, 6:18 pm, DANBURY, CT 06810 >>

Shows how precise USPS tracking is....started in CT (not), but next left from CA, and was accepted in CT, traveled to another facility in CT, stopped in NY to have dinner, got back to CA for bkfst, and now is fed, fresh and ready for delivery in CA
  • CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>my 5 sets are almost in the pipeline.image

Detailed Results:

Arrival at Post Office, November 11, 2011, 11:21 am, NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
    Processed through USPS Sort Facility, November 11, 2011, 8:00 am, SANTA ANA, CA 92799
    Processed through USPS Sort Facility, November 10, 2011, 9:12 pm, JAMAICA, NY 11430
    Processed through USPS Sort Facility, November 10, 2011, 6:04 pm, STAMFORD, CT 06910
    Dispatched from USPS Sort Facility, November 10, 2011, STAMFORD, CT 06910
    Acceptance, November 10, 2011, 4:57 pm, DANBURY, CT 06810
    Dispatched from USPS Sort Facility, November 10, 2011, SANTA ANA, CA 92799
    Electronic Shipping Info Received, November 09, 2011
    Dispatched to Sort Facility, November 09, 2011, 6:18 pm, DANBURY, CT 06810 >>

Shows how precise USPS tracking is....started in CT (not), but next left from CA, and was accepted in CT, traveled to another facility in CT, stopped in NY to have dinner, got back to CA for bkfst, and now is fed, fresh and ready for delivery in CA >>

References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • 53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This Thread Needs Photos...

image >>

Oooh, I like what you've done with your box!
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
    For shiny round silver eagle sets
    Collectors save up and cast their e-nets
    Unopened box? Have I scored?
    Sell, or put in the hoard?
    Big money makes even small fry place their bets.

Green neophyte
  • 53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭
    3699...(go for it, JohnInLBC)
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!

• << <i>3699...(go for it, JohnInLBC) >>

Ok. 3700!! My first time. Thx for allowing me the privilege.
    Green neophyte

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file