Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

25th Anniversary ASE set

Comments

• Options
    S O P with sealed unopened sets..........as pointed out in previous threads the scammers are out in full force
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi All-

Thanks much to leothelyon for posting the pics and also to the others who kindly offered to do so!!

I just had an opportunity to pick through another box of five sets and was given my pick of one cherry-picked set for $400 - glad to have great friends!!

Quite different from the five sets last night.

None of the W Uncs had that bare spot which was on all of the W uncs from last night. There were to MS70 candidates of these.

The S Uncs were much better. Two likely 70s, one possible 70, one likely 69 and one had a two slashes on Liberty's right wrist - looked exactly like she tried to cut her wrist. Yikes. None had the rim dings which 4 or the 5 last night did as shown in the pics. Fortunately, he let me take two of the nice S Uncs so that I could get a great set from his five and upgrade my two sets from last night :-).

None of the RPs had the frost break which you can see on the photos which was on 4 of my 5 last night. Two were likely 70s and the rest nice 69s.

The proofs, as was the case last night, were quite nice. A couple had some significant frost breaks.

The business strikes were pretty nice. Again, a likely 70. The business strikes were again nicer than I expected. The only horrible one was the one with the huge scratch last night.

Hope that these reports and pics from two different boxes for five sets delivered on different days is helpful for those who are keeping them sealed.

From being totally shut out to being able cherry pick three sets from ten total I am a happy camper. Some RPs and S Uncs will be headed West from me on Monday. Can't say how great it is to have great friends :-)

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options

<< <i>What is with all the "No returns accepted" on the 25th ann. sets on ebay?

-Keith >>

Also, a rapidly changing market.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

-Keith >>

Also, a rapidly changing market. >>

that is one reason

the other is that they are not strivig to be coin sellers/resellers into the future.

they want the money, they want it now, and they want to keep it.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

-Keith >>

Now that eBay/Paypal gives the buyer several weeks of return privilege, a "no returns" policy is pretty much futile.
    I imagine sellers are trying to prevent buyers from sending the coins in to be graded, cherry picking the 70s and sending back a set composed of 69s or less (assuming the buyer had multiple sets sent for grading).
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am posting these pics for Raufus. His comments in quotes.

"These are the rim dings on one of the 2011 S Uncs. Such dings were in the same place but to a varying degree on all of them."

"This is another example of the rim dings on another of the 2011 S Uncs. Note also the dings Liberty's right arm, also common my coins."

"These are the frost breaks which were on all of the Rev. Proofs but to a much lesser extent than these on a couple of them...."

"Similar frost break in the same spot on another Rev. Proof..."

"This is an example of the shiny spot which was on Liberty's left hand on all of the W Uncs...."

image >>

The dings come from the stacking of the bullion rounds on top of the first bullion rounds that came off the presses. What a bummer!

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    Nice pics, Gman. Macro lens or tube extensions?
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options
    What do you think of this ebay item for a set? His picture shows it as a sealed box, but in the description, it states it is not a sealed box. That is why it is very important to read this details very thoroughly and carefully. It looks like a great bargain, but it is not what it appears.

Link
    Green neophyte
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What do you think of this ebay item for a set? His picture shows it as a sealed box, but in the description, it states it is not a sealed box. That is why it is very important to read this details very thoroughly and carefully. It looks like a great bargain, but it is not what it appears.

Link >>

Buy the description, not the picture. Ebay guarantees return rights for item not as described.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options

<< <i>Nice pics, Gman. Macro lens or tube extensions? >>

Hi PF-

Gman was kind enought to post those pics for me (I've never been facile at posting pics on this forum).

I'm waiting for a tripod so I took them handheld in bright sun.

I used a Nikon D7000 w/a 60mm Nikkor F2 ED macro lens.

Once I get the correct tripod, I should be able to take killer macro shots as I'll be able to critical focus the shots, use much longer exposures at f22, and optimize the lighting, etc.

I was pleased with these for quick handheld shots @ f8 though.

• Options
    I like this seller's choice of background to show off these silver eagles. Looks like some of the big pants kids use to wear in the 80s. I prefer a more neutral, solid color background.

Link
    Green neophyte
  • Options
    What is the deal with HSN coin guy saying that all the anniversary sets were sold in one hour? Also, he states that there were a million orders and obviously, a lot of them were cancelled. That guy Mike wants people to believe that he spent four hours trying to get a set for himself, only to get an email that he didn't get a set. A gloried used car salesman. I still enjoy his presentations for information and entertainment value.
    Green neophyte
  • Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I think the smart one's are the ones that are holding the 5 Sets, Singel box's and when the 70's start to comeing out for big $$$ that box will go up with it to with out all the fee's. image >>

I agree single sealed boxes would have been the way to go and that was my original plan BUT after it took 2.5 hours to place 2- 5 set orders my 5 individual order plan was toast. I just ordered another 5 set box for my son....

I really don't think I could have gotten 5 orders in before they ran out..... >>

I was able to order my five single sets plus two more that I canceled in the first half hour. I am still kinda baffled that some tried for hours and never got through?
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm noticing on Ebay that there are many sellers breaking out the Reverse Proof and "S" burnished eagles of the sets and selling them individually. Since they are being sold raw, coupled with the reports of less than quality examples coming out of these opened sets, I'm wondering if there is a cherrypicking dump off going on....I know I wouldn't pay what the asking prices are for something that probably wouldn't have graded well in a slab. Anyone else have an opinion on this?
  • Options

<< <i>I'm noticing on Ebay that there are many sellers breaking out the Reverse Proof and "S" burnished eagles of the sets and selling them individually. Since they are being sold raw, coupled with the reports of less than quality examples coming out of these opened sets, I'm wondering if there is a cherrypicking dump off going on....I know I wouldn't pay what the asking prices are for something that probably wouldn't have graded well in a slab. Anyone else have an opinion on this? >>

I've seen it discussed earlier in this or another thread, they were saying people were getting $450 RP, $350 S, and rest is gravy $175-200 with the 3 and OGP. So they said you would come out with a better return by breaking them up. If it stays this way that will be the way to go?
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

• Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    If the individual prices for the reverse and s are maintained and a 70 set settles for around $2K perhaps an unponed box could fetch $1500. I think the mint is finished shipping these out. Their waiting list is a farce.
  • Options

<< <i>If the individual prices for the reverse and s are maintained and a 70 set settles for around $2K perhaps an unponed box could fetch $1500. I think the mint is finished shipping these out. Their waiting list is a farce. >>

I think that is a VERY conservative estimate on the 70 set....I would venture an eventual $3500-4000. Key word is 'Set".... open boxes, divided sets, HSN going with ANACS, all will make true top tier graded sets with the 25th Annie labels sets scarce. I think the unopened set is a bit high...I would venture a guess at around $800-900

The Mint is up to around 2:40p...they are are probably around 60-70% complete. If you haven't received a true "Dear John" letter yet there is hope
  • Options

<< <i>I like this seller's choice of background to show off these silver eagles. Looks like some of the big pants kids use to wear in the 80s. I prefer a more neutral, solid color background.

Link >>

Sad thing is...I think that's his bed

...also (not related to this post)...it would help the thread stay a somewhat reasonable size if, when responding to a post with multiple pics, one would cut and paste the words and insert in in your response as a quote....this would save space and eliminate scrolling through pics with every response....just a thought
  • Options

<< <i> I think the mint is finished shipping these out. >>

Mint shipping is currently only about two-thirds completed, and that's not counting waiting list possibilities.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm noticing on Ebay that there are many sellers breaking out the Reverse Proof and "S" burnished eagles of the sets and selling them individually. Since they are being sold raw, coupled with the reports of less than quality examples coming out of these opened sets, I'm wondering if there is a cherrypicking dump off going on....I know I wouldn't pay what the asking prices are for something that probably wouldn't have graded well in a slab. Anyone else have an opinion on this? >>

I've seen it discussed earlier in this or another thread, they were saying people were getting $450 RP, $350 S, and rest is gravy $175-200 with the 3 and OGP. So they said you would come out with a better return by breaking them up. If it stays this way that will be the way to go? >>

One submission strategy to keep costs down and maximize profit is to send in only the two money coins for SET and FIRST STRIKE grading/labeling. Rest assured that those doing so who have multiple sets are cherrypicking the best for submission.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options

<< <i>

Mint shipping is currently only about two-thirds completed, and that's not counting waiting list possibilities. >>

My order was booked in at 2:35 ET and shipped on Friday. UPS says it will get here tomorrow morning.
    I don't know if the fulfillment center works on weekends (I think not).
    At any rate, they seem to be shipping a half hour or so worth of orders every day.
    At that rate, they should be done shipping orders by the end of this week.
    Based on the reports of cancellations here, hopefully those that got on the wait list early will get their sets.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I've seen it discussed earlier in this or another thread, they were saying people were getting $450 RP, $350 S, and rest is gravy $175-200 with the 3 and OGP. So they said you would come out with a better return by breaking them up. If it stays this way that will be the way to go? >>

One submission strategy to keep costs down and maximize profit is to send in only the two money coins for SET and FIRST STRIKE grading/labeling. Rest assured that those doing so who have multiple sets are cherrypicking the best for submission. >>

The more collectors that just get the two "keys" graded will actually increase demand for the graded "regular" coins. If collectors want a complete set after buying the two keys then they will have to find someone who submitted an unopened set to sell the castoffs to them.....that bullion in 25th Annie MS70 is going to be a beeeeeaaaach..and remember the premium for the 20th Annie W's in MS70...

I think the open sets are a BIG mistake.....
  • Options

<< <i>The more collectors that just get the two "keys" graded will actually increase demand for the graded "regular" coins. If collectors want a complete set after buying the two keys then they will have to find someone who submitted an unopened set to sell the castoffs to them.....that bullion in 25th Annie MS70 is going to be a beeeeeaaaach..and remember the premium for the 20th Annie W's in MS70...

I think the open sets are a BIG mistake..... >>

Most buyers of the two graded keys will be those that don't want the full set or those that have a graded set looking to upgrade one or both of the money coins to a higher grade. Gonna be a great market for individul coins with a 70. Most collectors don't start at square one and try to assemble a full set, gets too expensive.

IMO selling open sets is proving profitable. Buying open sets in most cases is a big mistake. With grading restrictions they will forever remain open sets. It is not unreasonable for the collector who wants to put one raw set into his collection to buy it open. The more sets that get unsealed now, the lower the final number/population of graded ones.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    All the boxes I've seen in person and the few auction pics I've looked at have the shipping label on top of the sealing tape. This auction has tape on top of the label. Or it looks that way to me. Seems kinda strange.

Text
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is what one of my singles looks like. Anybody think that will pose a problem when submitted for grading? The center seam is unbroken as is the seam on the other side. @#%!?$&! mint! >>

My box of 5 was sealed tightly with many layers of tape, but...the address label sticker was not across the seam or any part of the tape for that matter. It was located in the corner of the box. It was clear that the box hadn't been opened and I don't think it will be an issue (???) since it was obvious that the sticker was in its original position. I'd show a picture, but the box is already on its way to PCGS...
  • Options

<< <i>All the boxes I've seen in person and the few auction pics I've looked at have the shipping label on top of the sealing tape. This auction has tape on top of the label. Or it looks that way to me. Seems kinda strange.

Text >>

Problems:

Tape is cut...

Paper with sellers name covers the view of the opened box

Oh...the biggie....it says "in the original mint shipping box" not "in the original SEALED Mint shipping box"

• Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭

<< <i>All the boxes I've seen in person and the few auction pics I've looked at have the shipping label on top of the sealing tape. This auction has tape on top of the label. Or it looks that way to me. Seems kinda strange.

Text >>

He might just be reinforcing the existing tape. I did the same thing before I sent my coins to our hosts. I didn't want the box opening in transit.

-Paul
  • Options

<< <i>

Text >>

He might just be reinforcing the existing tape. I did the same thing before I sent my coins to our hosts. I didn't want the box opening in transit.

-Paul >>

Gutsy move adding tape to the box.....it will be interesting to see how that works out..hopefully OK

My theory is that if it made if safe to your door it will be pretty safe wrapped or inside another box for its next trip
  • Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Text >>

-Paul >>

Bad move. I think you set up a reject of your submission.
  • Options

<< <i>Oh...the biggie....it says "in the original mint shipping box" not "in the original SEALED Mint shipping box" >>

Oh yeah, I missed that. As someone posted, the devil is in the details on these listings.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << The more collectors that just get the two "keys" graded will actually increase demand for the graded "regular" coins. If collectors want a complete set after buying the two keys then they will have to find someone who submitted an unopened set to sell the castoffs to them.....that bullion in 25th Annie MS70 is going to be a beeeeeaaaach..and remember the premium for the 20th Annie W's in MS70... I think the open sets are a BIG mistake..... >>

I think the open sets are *not* a big mistake. Lack of supply is driving the premium on the 20th-Anniversary W in MS70. Only about 4,000 PCGS 20th-Anniversary burnished 2006-W First Strikes exist, and only 5.5% of them grade MS70. Premiums drop sharply for MS69 and below.

By comparison, probably many more than 4,000 complete 25th-Anniversary sets will receive the First Strike label, and IMO this increased supply will likely cause the premiums for the non-key coins to be lower than the premium on the 2006-W burnished with the First Strike 20th-Anniversary label.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Text >>

-Paul >>

Gutsy move adding tape to the box.....it will be interesting to see how that works out..hopefully OK

My theory is that if it made if safe to your door it will be pretty safe wrapped or inside another box for its next trip >>

I imagine adding tape is fine as long as you don't tape over the original tape. I added tape to the flap sides but did not reinforce the main tape running the length of the tab seam.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Text >>

-Paul >>

Bad move. I think you set up a reject of your submission. >>

Maybe not. It is pretty tough to open a box without destroying the label. I had a hockey puck [I DID NOT OPEN the box] come to me like that. I put it into a flat rate box and shipped it to a buyer. He asked if I had opened it. Apparently the fulfillment center had reopened it to put in paperwork or whatever. The coin had a big scratch. Once the buyer realized that the label was intact, he took it.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    EggerEgger Posts: 418 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Text >>

-Paul >>

Maybe not. It is pretty tough to open a box without destroying the label. I had a hockey puck [I DID NOT OPEN the box] come to me like that. I put it into a flat rate box and shipped it to a buyer. He asked if I had opened it. Apparently the fulfillment center had reopened it to put in paperwork or whatever. The coin had a big scratch. Once the buyer realized that the label was intact, he took it. >>

I would worry about the bottom more, no label to even mess with, box of 5 has tape on top and bottom, as well as my 3 singles
  • Options
    Single open sets now seem to be in the 825 - 925 range. I think I am going to get me one good set and sell the other 4. Sure maybe more money to be made, but my pocket book says take the profit while its there.
    Or sell just 4 sets of the keys and keep all the rest.
    Regards,

Jim
  • Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Mint shipping is currently only about two-thirds completed, and that's not counting waiting list possibilities. >>

3 orders from 2:58 thru 3:46 in stock & reserved - no cancel box
    1 order at exactly 4:00 backordered expected to ship 11/27 (don't expect to get this order)

Something significant about 4:00, not 4:30
  • Options
    Speaking about the bottom of the box, why not just open the bottom, cherry pick and sell the picked over sets after re-taping the bottom of the box? No label there.
  • Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Text >>

-Paul >>

Maybe not. It is pretty tough to open a box without destroying the label. I had a hockey puck [I DID NOT OPEN the box] come to me like that. I put it into a flat rate box and shipped it to a buyer. He asked if I had opened it. Apparently the fulfillment center had reopened it to put in paperwork or whatever. The coin had a big scratch. Once the buyer realized that the label was intact, he took it. >>

Your buyer isn't held to the same standards as PCGS.
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Text >>

-Paul >>

My theory is that if it made if safe to your door it will be pretty safe wrapped or inside another box for its next trip >>

I'm not worried. I left the middle tape alone and only added one strip on the right and left sides of the top and bottom of the box. The original tape was left undisturbed, which they can clearly see.

-Paul
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    My family got 2 orders of five sets. One is going to be sold sealed, not sure about the other yet.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>I think the smart one's are the ones that are holding the 5 Sets, Singel box's and when the 70's start to comeing out for big $$$ that box will go up with it to with out all the fee's. image >>

I agree single sealed boxes would have been the way to go and that was my original plan BUT after it took 2.5 hours to place 2- 5 set orders my 5 individual order plan was toast. I just ordered another 5 set box for my son....

I really don't think I could have gotten 5 orders in before they ran out..... >>

I was able to order my five single sets plus two more that I canceled in the first half hour. I am still kinda baffled that some tried for hours and never got through? >>

What was your setup/PC or Mac, browser, connection, etc.?

Thanks
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

<< <i>Single open sets now seem to be in the 825 - 925 range. I think I am going to get me one good set and sell the other 4. Sure maybe more money to be made, but my pocket book says take the profit while its there.
    Or sell just 4 sets of the keys and keep all the rest. >>

Unbelievable

$535 Plus Shipping
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Single open sets now seem to be in the 825 - 925 range. I think I am going to get me one good set and sell the other 4. Sure maybe more money to be made, but my pocket book says take the profit while its there.

Unbelievable

$535 Plus Shipping >>

I was just coming here to post, amazing! So maybe breaking them up may not be a bad idea?

• Options

<< <i>

Unbelievable

$535 Plus Shipping >>

I think that is forum member Casman's auction?image

Casman is showing me / us how it's done! God job.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

that's about how much 3 out of the 5 are worth in USD.
  • Options
    Was watching sales yesterday when a single RP sale, a single S sale, and a sale of the 3 orphans brought $1028.
    The sky's the limit today.

• Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭
    The sky's the limit once PCGS 70s start bringing in moon money.
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Speaking about the bottom of the box, why not just open the bottom, cherry pick and sell the picked over sets after re-taping the bottom of the box? No label there. >>

The extra tape shows the box has been opened. The mint shipped box comes with one strip of tape over the seam. Any more tape added would be a giveaway. There is also the honesty factor, the seller would probably get a deserved negative and the set returned.
  • Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many happy BST transactions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file