25th Anniversary ASE set

Comments

• Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>There would be 66,000 sets for sale very soon. >>

Seems like there already is. image >>

So in the next week or two these sets will be flooding the Bay? Will prices go down then? By how much do you fellas think it will come down to image
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options

<< <i>Why do people selling on ebay always seem to want to put their own rules/restrictions into their auctions?

First off, you can restrict someone with negatives, using ebay's system, but you cannot restrict someone with zero feedback, or less than a certain number.
    Secondly, if you want immediate payment, you have to use a BIN and set it that way. If you use any length of an auction, that isn't an option.

Ebay has guidelines for how long until payment is received (at that point, you can file as unpaid). >>

Ebay has their rules as a company, and we have ours as a company. We can set any reasonable rules we want and always have, for example less than 10 feedback rating not permitted to bid without prior approval. We can also say that we require immediate payment by paypal at auction close. This is not against ebay rules. However, we can not enforce rules that are not the rules of eBay. If a buyer ignores our company policies, we can choose not to future business with them. I don't think we ever said no to anyone with even a zero feedback that called ahead of time and provided a couple references. Our money is on the line and just as coin auction companies screen their buyers in advance we believe we should be able to reject some ebayers that do not meet our minimum criteria.

John
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why do people selling on ebay always seem to want to put their own rules/restrictions into their auctions?

First off, you can restrict someone with negatives, using ebay's system, but you cannot restrict someone with zero feedback, or less than a certain number.
    Secondly, if you want immediate payment, you have to use a BIN and set it that way. If you use any length of an auction, that isn't an option.

Ebay has guidelines for how long until payment is received (at that point, you can file as unpaid).

That said, should be interesting in the days ahead. I sent my sets to PCGS. My friend hasn't received his yet and is trying to figure out if he wants to sell on ebay or send to PCGS. If they keep this way, I may suggest he split them up and sell on ebay. A relative's sets (2 different boxes... one of 3 and one of 2) came in on Friday and the 2nd box will be there on Monday. Same type of thing.....do I tell to open and split or have me send to PCGS? Oy! The dilemmas image >>

I used BIN, of course. One can, obviously, not expect immediate payment on an auction.

On another subject, the price on the 69 set is both incredible and nuts. I think that the 69 sets will drop in short order to open set levels. The first to list graded sets on ebay are the ones who luck out.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>That 70 set by MCM has 41 bids and over 3 hours to go, but I'll just be watching! >>

A link please? >>

The MCM NGC 70 set will end up near $ 4,000
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>There is some way to set your auction such that Ebay prompts the buyer for immediate payment. I know that I've been directed for immediate payment when buying in the past. Does anyone know how to do this? I generally never request this, but have been doing so for these sets. >>

Immediate payment required option can be selected when creating the listing provided the listing includes or is a buy it now. If selected buyer will have to make payment during checkout to be awarded the purchase. If it is an auction style listing with a buy it now price the immediate payment required will only show up during checkout if it was purchased as a buy it now. Note that when immediate payment is required during checkout the buyer cannot complete the purchase unless he completes payment during the checkout. Until he does, the listing remains available to everyone else and the first one to complete checkout, including payment, will be awarded the purchase.

Other info on buy it now:
    If seller chooses auction style with a buy it now price, the buy it now option will disappear from the listing as soon as an opening bid is made. If seller choose auction style with a buy it now price and sets a reserve price, the buy it now option will disappear from the listing as soon as the reserve price is met via bidding. >>

Thanks very much for the info on the immediate payment option!!!!
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    went to the small coin show in Van Nuys today and saw 2 of these 25th anniversary sets for sale, both opened and on display in the OGP.

Dealer #1 had the set marked at $850 and it looked like a near perfect set and was getting quite a bit of interest.

Dealer #2 also had the set on display marked $850, but it looked weird. Upon closer review, the dealer had swapped out the reverse proof coin for another regular proof. I wonder if the S mint coin was also swapped out for another regular bullion coin but I didn't ask since it made me pretty sick to see this guy trying to scam people and also since it wasn't the first time I've seen him being shady.

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>went to the small coin show in Van Nuys today and saw 2 of these 25th anniversary sets for sale, both opened and on display in the OGP.

Dealer #2 also had the set on display marked $850, but it looked weird. Upon closer review, the dealer had swapped out the reverse proof coin for another regular proof. I wonder if the S mint coin was also swapped out for another regular bullion coin but I didn't ask since it made me pretty sick to see this guy trying to scam people and also since it wasn't the first time I've seen him being shady. >>

Makes used car salesman look like Mother Theresa. Real scum.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>went to the small coin show in Van Nuys today and saw 2 of these 25th anniversary sets for sale, both opened and on display in the OGP.

Dealer #1 had the set marked at $850 and it looked like a near perfect set and was getting quite a bit of interest.

Dealer #2 also had the set on display marked $850, but it looked weird. Upon closer review, the dealer had swapped out the reverse proof coin for another regular proof. I wonder if the S mint coin was also swapped out for another regular bullion coin but I didn't ask since it made me pretty sick to see this guy trying to scam people and also since it wasn't the first time I've seen him being shady. >>

You should have loudly called Dealer #2 on the swap while there was a nice crowd gathered. Mentioning it to other dealers would have been good as well. They tend to police themselves.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    Link to MCM auctions:

The NGC 70 set: NGC 70 Set

The 69 set: NGC 69 Set
  • Options
    JaLPJaLP Posts: 199 ✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>MCM 70 Set ending on ebay Sunday evening >>

My proverb is...... bet your dollar there are many more 69 and 70 sets waiting to be listed
  • Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭
    Thank you. image
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << Those 11/27 backorders ...you can just about forget it ........ they are a backstop for any returns and credit card rejects from orders >>

<<I'm not giving up the ship quite yet! >>

I'm also not giving up the ship...as I have an order that went in right around the 4:30 cut off and is also backordered to 11/27.

Considering the number of orders in excess of household limits likely cancelled, I'm actually feeling quite confident that orders taken as late as 6:00 PM might ultimately get filled.
  • Options
    silverman68silverman68 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

That is pretty sick, no integrity or anything else. I would have to nicely mentioned this to see what kind of response they would give.
  • Options
    roob47roob47 Posts: 142 ✭✭✭

<< <i><< Those 11/27 backorders ...you can just about forget it ........ they are a backstop for any returns and credit card rejects from orders >>

I'm also not giving up the ship...as I have an order that went in right around the 4:30 cut off and is also backordered to 11/27.

Considering the number of orders in excess of household limits likely cancelled, I'm actually feeling quite confident that orders taken as late as 6:00 PM might ultimately get filled. >>

I will still hold out hope as well but I guess this will be the week we will finally know and put this fiasco behind us and move on to the next one.
  • Options
    silverman68silverman68 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

My proverb is...... bet your dollar there are many more 69 and 70 sets waiting to be listed >>

Looks like NGC may be handing the 70's out like candy. It will be interesting to see what happens on a PCGS set.
  • Options
    aclocoacloco Posts: 952 ✭✭✭
    Something that the ASE collectors have not mentioned yet....the 25th anniversary set actually, added FIVE specimens to the collection, not two.

The three "common" ASE's will have mintages of LESS than 100k. Not all of them will be graded by TPG's....so...does this make them the TRUE sleepers in the set?

The two ASE's that were produced for this set, specifically, will always be recognized. But the three common ASE's will ONLY be recognized if they are in plastic with First Strike/25th Anniversary SET on the label.
    Successful BST transactions with: jp84, WaterSport, Stupid, tychojoe, Swampboy, dragon, Jkramer, savoyspecial, ajaan, tyedye, ProofCollection, Broadstruck x2, TwinTurbo, lordmarcovan, devious, bumanchu, AUandAG, Collectorcoins (2x), staircoins, messydesk, illini420, nolawyer (10x & counting), peaceman, bruggs, agentjim007, ElmerFusterpuck, WinLoseWin, RR, WaterSports, KeyLargRareCoins, LindeDad, Flatwoods, cucamongacoin, grote15, UtahCoin, NewParadigm, smokincoin, sawyerjosh x3
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

My proverb is...... bet your dollar there are many more 69 and 70 sets waiting to be listed >>

Looks like NGC may be handing the 70's out like candy. It will be interesting to see what happens on a PCGS set. >>

Not unusual...they normally do on the modern issues.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Sleeper sets of the decadeimage...........The calm before the storm
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Something that the ASE collectors have not mentioned yet....the 25th anniversary set actually, added FIVE specimens to the collection, not two.

The three "common" ASE's will have mintages of LESS than 100k. Not all of them will be graded by TPG's....so...does this make them the TRUE sleepers in the set?

The two ASE's that were produced for this set, specifically, will always be recognized. But the three common ASE's will ONLY be recognized if they are in plastic with First Strike/25th Anniversary SET on the label. >>

As long as you have the 2 keys, some capsules and the holder you can go out and buy any old commons and make up a new set and no one will be the wiser.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    As someone new to the forum, and it is a terrific forum as far as I can tell thus far......and I don't know the moderators, or who runs this site, or the longstanding members. Don't mean to be OT either, but would like to offer a suggestion.

The BST (Buy/Sell/Trade) area of this site could perhaps be improved to benefit of the whole community, and to coin collecting itself. Having spent many years in digital photography, I frequented the site FredMiranda.com. This is not a plug, I have no affiliation other than being a member. But I would highly recommend it to anyone with interest in photography, or more importantly, in acquiring the necessary gear to pursue the interest. Fred has a positively exemplary BS forum for used equipment, complete with Feedback ratings in archive for all members going back years. It is a very active place, and an outstanding place to buy or sell when moving up or down in the hobby. Like this site, advertising is minimal. See for yourselves-

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/10

The reason I bring it up is, all the talk of Ebay fees, and buyer concerns, etc. It is much better to deal with known entities, people on the forum whose posts can be read, allowing for making judgements about their character. If you look at the link you'll see that each member has a number next to their ID indicating the number of transactions they have had on the site. Like some here have along the bottom of their posts. On Fred's site, if you click the "green" numbers, it brings up their feedback, what was bought/sold, when, and often for what price which is also great. Camera gear is expensive stuff, like coins, and we all have fears about who we deal with. Why pay some auction site a 15% buyers premium, or feebay 12% every time we turn something over. I'm sure the BST here works great, but it could be better. I have sold 10's of K's over there, and I am more proud of my feedback score there than Ebay, where I also have a perfect score.

Lastly, Fred only very recently changed the BS forum, and I am less familiar with it since I don't go there as often as I used to, but I'm sure if Fred created it, it is fantastic! I hadn't been there in over a year, and sold off $500 worth of stuff in about 5 minutes last week. Couldn't keep up with the orders. And that is just odds and ends, not a camera body or lens in the mix.

I hope I haven't violated any rules with this post. It is not meant as anything more than a try at giving something back here since I know next to nothing about coins.

I can't say enough good things about that BS forum really. As far as I'm concerned, Fred has done more for making a very expensive hobby like photography available to those of lesser means. Many of the items can be had that are like new, for substantial discounts. Many members, like myself, take perfect care of their equipment, and it stays minty fresh, and the photos prove it. It seems to me, coin collecting needs a similar conduit. And while I would not be so presumptuous as to speak for Fred (I do not know him personally), I would venture a guess he might even be willing to help out with getting it going. I am not certain, but I think he is responsible for almost every aspect of his site. He's a genius really, with computers, and a camera. It is one of the best sites I have come across in 20 years on the internet.
  • Options

<< <i>Looks like NGC may be handing the 70's out like candy. It will be interesting to see what happens on a PCGS set. >>

There is a seller pre-sale auctioning 70 grade sets- See items 110773717871, 130600808498

I don't think it makes much sense to pre-sale PCGS 70s on these since we have no idea what the pops will be like. Unlike NGC, PCGS might have a low pop or two in the set.
  • Options
    aclocoacloco Posts: 952 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Something that the ASE collectors have not mentioned yet....the 25th anniversary set actually, added FIVE specimens to the collection, not two.

The two ASE's that were produced for this set, specifically, will always be recognized. But the three common ASE's will ONLY be recognized if they are in plastic with First Strike/25th Anniversary SET on the label. >>

as long as you have the 2 keys some capsules and the holder you can go out and buy any old commons and make up a new set and no one will be the wiser. >>

No, not really. No First Strike AND 25th Anniversary SET info is on the label.

I do agree, the three commons are just that....common ASE's for 2011. But in the plastic, all five coins are distinct and not ALL of the common ASE's will be slabbed.
    Successful BST transactions with: jp84, WaterSport, Stupid, tychojoe, Swampboy, dragon, Jkramer, savoyspecial, ajaan, tyedye, ProofCollection, Broadstruck x2, TwinTurbo, lordmarcovan, devious, bumanchu, AUandAG, Collectorcoins (2x), staircoins, messydesk, illini420, nolawyer (10x & counting), peaceman, bruggs, agentjim007, ElmerFusterpuck, WinLoseWin, RR, WaterSports, KeyLargRareCoins, LindeDad, Flatwoods, cucamongacoin, grote15, UtahCoin, NewParadigm, smokincoin, sawyerjosh x3
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

as long as you have the 2 keys some capsules and the holder you can go out and buy any old commons and make up a new set and no one will be the wiser. >>

I do agree, the three commons are just that....common ASE's for 2011. But in the plastic, all five coins are distinct and not ALL of the common ASE's will be slabbed. >>

The King of the 20th Ann Set is the MS coin in 70, bring double the Reverse Proof in 70...

So I think you are correct...

My Ebay Auctions

Currently Listed: Nothing

Take Care, Dave
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I do agree, the three commons are just that....common ASE's for 2011. But in the plastic, all five coins are distinct and not ALL of the common ASE's will be slabbed. >>

I was talking about selling them as raw sets.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    "I do agree, the three commons are just that....common ASE's for 2011."

well i wouldnt jump the gun just yet.
    remember that there is one coin with no mint mark that was struck in San Francisco. I will bet that years from now coin geeks will be matching the die markers to figure out which coins came from SanFran or west point.
    I am not sure but i think someone said that the "common" coin is the very first silver eagles to be minted in SF.
    so how would you know? by cataloging the die markers from the boxes of coins known to come from SF.
    Its a variety.....and there are variety people who love them.
    It is possible to identify some of the struck in SF "common" coins.
    what make them a little more special is that they came in the set.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    I sold one box of five sets sealed to a dealer for my dad.

My brother has one coming. Will see how grades are coming in before we decide what to do with those. From some images of opened sets, it seems some of these will be quite rough.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    Question about submitting these sets to PCGS:
    Is it possible to get the wooden display boxes and capsules back?
    In other words, if I'm shipping PCGS 5 sets of 25th Anniversary ASE's, can I get the boxes, capsules and COA's back?
    Is there an extra charge for the return shipping?

Thanks!

UPDATE: Answered my own question courtesy of Illini420 here:
    http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=835454&STARTPAGE=2

"return of original gov't packaging is included w/ FS price according to the website"

Good to know.
  • Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I was hoping to pick up a few additional sealed sets when the inevitable price drop happens. Was hoping to pay no more than $450, but I think that is now a pipe dream. >>

I'd read something like that waaaaay back and 'pipe dream' was my first thought, so it was kind of funny to recall and laugh again.

IMHO working and studying this, the third serious large collector base no brainer flip in 10 years, these are sure to peak at 1200/set graded 9's for a while then down to around a 900 till the economy swings. Raw full sets will be 900 and then 700. Individually graded pieces will always bring a better totals because people can easily swing that little bit more now and save for another in the set later. The 70's have a pattern of who knows skyhigh, the 7x 69 then 4x. Knock a little off for the ATS stuff. But if you make twice as many and only 3/4 the sell price you win again.

Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options

<< <i>Question about submitting these sets to PCGS:
    Is it possible to get the wooden display boxes and capsules back?
    In other words, if I'm shipping PCGS 5 sets of 25th Anniversary ASE's, can I get the boxes, capsules and COA's back?
    Is there an extra charge for the return shipping?

Thanks! >>

Excellent question. While it is believed by many that mint packaging will be returned by writing "Return Mint Packaging" on the submission form, I can't find it addressed anywhere on the PCGS site or in any of Don Willis' posts. I suggest you call PCGS customer service and get it strait from the horse's mouth. Let the rest of us know what they say.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    commacomma Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>As someone new to the forum, and it is a terrific forum as far as I can tell thus far......and I don't know the moderators, or who runs this site, or the longstanding members. Don't mean to be OT either, but would like to offer a suggestion.

The BST (Buy/Sell/Trade) area of this site could perhaps be improved to benefit of the whole community, and to coin collecting itself. Having spent many years in digital photography, I frequented the site FredMiranda.com. This is not a plug, I have no affiliation other than being a member. But I would highly recommend it to anyone with interest in photography, or more importantly, in acquiring the necessary gear to pursue the interest. Fred has a positively exemplary BS forum for used equipment, complete with Feedback ratings in archive for all members going back years. It is a very active place, and an outstanding place to buy or sell when moving up or down in the hobby. Like this site, advertising is minimal. See for yourselves-

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/10

The reason I bring it up is, all the talk of Ebay fees, and buyer concerns, etc. It is much better to deal with known entities, people on the forum whose posts can be read, allowing for making judgements about their character. If you look at the link you'll see that each member has a number next to their ID indicating the number of transactions they have had on the site. Like some here have along the bottom of their posts. On Fred's site, if you click the "green" numbers, it brings up their feedback, what was bought/sold, when, and often for what price which is also great. Camera gear is expensive stuff, like coins, and we all have fears about who we deal with. Why pay some auction site a 15% buyers premium, or feebay 12% every time we turn something over. I'm sure the BST here works great, but it could be better. I have sold 10's of K's over there, and I am more proud of my feedback score there than Ebay, where I also have a perfect score.

Lastly, Fred only very recently changed the BS forum, and I am less familiar with it since I don't go there as often as I used to, but I'm sure if Fred created it, it is fantastic! I hadn't been there in over a year, and sold off $500 worth of stuff in about 5 minutes last week. Couldn't keep up with the orders. And that is just odds and ends, not a camera body or lens in the mix.

I hope I haven't violated any rules with this post. It is not meant as anything more than a try at giving something back here since I know next to nothing about coins.

I can't say enough good things about that BS forum really. As far as I'm concerned, Fred has done more for making a very expensive hobby like photography available to those of lesser means. Many of the items can be had that are like new, for substantial discounts. Many members, like myself, take perfect care of their equipment, and it stays minty fresh, and the photos prove it. It seems to me, coin collecting needs a similar conduit. And while I would not be so presumptuous as to speak for Fred (I do not know him personally), I would venture a guess he might even be willing to help out with getting it going. I am not certain, but I think he is responsible for almost every aspect of his site. He's a genius really, with computers, and a camera. It is one of the best sites I have come across in 20 years on the internet. >>

I've been seriously into photography for probably 10 years. I've had nothing but bad experiences with FM, especially their for sale forum. Gave them my card so I could try it out for 3 months. For a year they charged my card every 3 months, after almost a dozen conversations when they said they wouldn't. The BST here would not benefit at all from a structure like that of FMs.
  • Options
    > Dealer #2 also had the set on display marked $850, but it looked weird. Upon closer review, the dealer had swapped out the reverse proof coin for another regular proof.
    You should have bought it...then "noticed"....then caused a HUGE scene. image

>The King of the 20th Ann Set is the MS coin in 70, bring double the Reverse Proof in 70...
    Not for me it isn't. image

-Keith
  • Options
    How did you ship your sets to PCGS?

Another question for the people of this thread (which is AWESOME, isn't it?)
    I'm curious as to how people shipped their 5-set boxes to PCGS:

a) Did you put the mint box into another box? Or did you just slap a label on the Mint box?
    b) How did you ship? (USPS? UPS? FedEx?)
    c) What class of service? (Priority Mail, Registered, Certified, 1-day, 2-day, 3-day?)
    d) How much did you insure it for?

Thank you
  • Options

<< <i>The King of the 20th Ann Set is the MS coin in 70, bring double the Reverse Proof in 70... Not for me it isn't. >>

The only reason it's the "King" in PCGS MS70, its because PCGS did not grade 70 MS ASE's at the time. Their policy changed several month after the 20th Anniv. sets hit the market. If you wanted a 70, you had to resubmit your 69 in hopes it made a 70. Not a problem this time, as such, the rev. proof will be the new KING.
  • Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i><< Those 11/27 backorders ...you can just about forget it ........ they are a backstop for any returns and credit card rejects from orders >>

Considering the number of orders in excess of household limits likely cancelled, I'm actually feeling quite confident that orders taken as late as 6:00 PM might ultimately get filled. >>

I will still hold out hope as well but I guess this will be the week we will finally know and put this fiasco behind us and move on to the next one. >>

As I posted earlier in this thread:

3 orders from 2:58 thru 3:46 in stock & reserved - no cancel box
    Last order confirmation was at exactly 4:00 - backordered expected to ship 11/27 (don't expect to get this order)

Something significant about 4:00, not 4:30
  • Options

<< <i>How did you ship your sets to PCGS?

Another question for the people of this thread (which is AWESOME, isn't it?)
    I'm curious as to how people shipped their 5-set boxes to PCGS:

a) Did you put the mint box into another box? Or did you just slap a label on the Mint box?
    b) How did you ship? (USPS? UPS? FedEx?)
    c) What class of service? (Priority Mail, Registered, Certified, 1-day, 2-day, 3-day?)
    d) How much did you insure it for?

Thank you >>

a......placed the mint box into another box
    b....USPS
    c......Priority Mail with Signature Confirmation
    d.....did not insure....( Non insured items are less tempting target)

e... Arrived in 2 days after mailing.
  • Options
    entered in error, move along

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    The NGC 69 set closed at $1,276.11.

NGC 69 Set Completed on eBay

The NGC 70 set closed at $3,800.00

NGC 70 Set Completed on eBay

Thoughts? image

Was anyone here a winner? image Not bad for $299.95 + grading fees.

PCGS 70 sets could clear $5,000!!
  • Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    Just went to the Mint site & checked to be sure.

Order # 38364*** 3:46 In stock & reserved no cancel box
  • Options
    wow.!!!!! 3800 for MCM'S ngc 70s
  • Options
    Anyone getting "show" grading at Whitman Baltimore?

Is anyone bringing their 25th Anniversary sets to the Whitman Show in Baltimore (which starts this Thursday) for "show" service?

PROS:

1. Saves the shipping + insurance costs of mailing the coins to PCGS.

2. Faster turnaround? (Show Economy service says "end of show")

CONS:

1. PCGS does not offer First Strike labels at shows. Don Willis commented on it here:
    http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=836139

2. Show Economy service costs $65/coin, vs. Modern ($14) + First Strike ($18) for a total of $32/coin

3. Longer turnaround time? I have to wait until the show opens on Thursday, when I can mail my sets in tomorrow (Monday)

Is the the lack of a F/S label a deal breaker for anyone else? I'm assuming that most people paying to grade their 25th Anniversary sets would want to pay the extra $18 for the FS designation, no?

What am I missing here? Any pointers appreciated!

I'm curious to hear someone make the case FOR submitting 25ths at the show.
    I live a couple hours away and could submit at the show, but it seems to makes more sense to mail the coins to PCGS tomorrow (Monday) instead.

What am I missing?

Thanks!
    (I've been anxiously following this thread and it's excellent)
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<The NGC 69 set closed at $1,276.11.>>

<<The NGC 70 set closed at $3,800.00>>

Yeah...my thought is that there seems to be very little reason to grade anything below a 70. After factoring in the cost of grading, selling raw individual sets may be a better way to go.
  • Options

<< <i>wow.!!!!! 3800 for MCM'S ngc 70s >>

yeah, and MCM's NGC 69's sold for $1275.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭

<< <i><<The NGC 69 set closed at $1,276.11.>>

Yeah...my thought is that there seems to be very little reason to grade anything below a 70. After factoring in the cost of grading, selling raw individual sets may be a better way to go. >>

Looks to me that for the cost of $150 or so extra (dealers even less), MCM generated a minimum of another $350 in the gross profit column. image
  • Options

<< <i>Looks to me that for the cost of $150 or so extra (dealers even less), MCM generated a minimum of another $350 in the gross profit column. >>

Sounds about right and a 69 set is going to be TOUGH to get from these IMHO.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> I've been seriously into photography for probably 10 years. I've had nothing but bad experiences with FM, especially their for sale forum. Gave them my card so I could try it out for 3 months. For a year they charged my card every 3 months, after almost a dozen conversations when they said they wouldn't. The BST here would not benefit at all from a structure like that of FMs. >>

Didn't you have trouble with your CC with the Mint too? And with the Mint itself? The point of the post was, there are many EXCELLENT ideas at work on the FredMiranda.com BS forum that could be useful here. The Feedback system is particularly good in a community environment like this one.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭

Yeah...my thought is that there seems to be very little reason to grade anything below a 70. After factoring in the cost of grading, selling raw individual sets may be a better way to go. >>

x 100!
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

When the first 70 from pcgs hits ebay I think your going to be surprised and like others I think a set of graded first strike 25 anniversary set labels in 69 should make the grading fees moot. 24 days or so will find out.....Enjoy image Also looking for the post that I swore said as long as your coins are being given the First strike labels there is no charge to return the Ogh otherwise there was a charge. Hopefully will have an answer tomorrow.......
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    3900~

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file