Options

25th Anniversary ASE set

Comments

• Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Single open sets now seem to be in the 825 - 925 range. I think I am going to get me one good set and sell the other 4. Sure maybe more money to be made, but my pocket book says take the profit while its there.
    Or sell just 4 sets of the keys and keep all the rest. >>

where are you seeing this? I'm seeing $725.
  • Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    This may be interesting to watch

RP Auction
  • Options
    interesting that is. I did a search for completed reverse proof only sales. last few have closed at 450 - 535 with one guy selling a lot of 10 that closed over 4K

completed single reverse proof sales
    Regards,

Jim
  • Options
    Two questions for the PCGS experts (my membership is fairly new):

1. Do you think the prices of open sets (sold on ebay) will go down after the FS/ER cutoff date for the 2 coins eligible? Some buying must be for those 2 coins alone to grade.

2. Can I send a sealed box of 3 or 5 sets to PCGS and request them NOT to grade any coins below 69 (have those sent back to me in the capsules with the OGP)? I realize I would have to pay for grading them, but if the grade is under 69, I'd want to put the coin back in OGP set for resell, as I think anything under 69 will be a negative.

Thanks in advance!
  • Options

<< <i><< The more collectors that just get the two "keys" graded will actually increase demand for the graded "regular" coins. If collectors want a complete set after buying the two keys then they will have to find someone who submitted an unopened set to sell the castoffs to them.....that bullion in 25th Annie MS70 is going to be a beeeeeaaaach..and remember the premium for the 20th Annie W's in MS70... I think the open sets are a BIG mistake..... >>

I think the open sets are *not* a big mistake. Lack of supply is driving the premium on the 20th-Anniversary W in MS70. Only about 4,000 PCGS 20th-Anniversary burnished 2006-W First Strikes exist, and only 5.5% of them grade MS70. Premiums drop sharply for MS69 and below.

By comparison, probably many more than 4,000 complete 25th-Anniversary sets will receive the First Strike label, and IMO this increased supply will likely cause the premiums for the non-key coins to be lower than the premium on the 2006-W burnished with the First Strike 20th-Anniversary label. >>

I was just trying to get across the point that there IS a premium for the Annie label. I did not even bring up FS....Even NGC 20th MS70 W's sell for a 300-400% over similar non-Annie labels. THAT is significant and should not be just poo-poo'd.

If the opened sets are nearing $800 common sense would say a sealed box would/should sell for more than an open potentially cherry picked set...sorry, I still think it was a mistake and significant future value on 3 coins has been thrown aside. Presently the open sets are a great sale as a hit and run because you don't have to pay and wait for grading but the longer term winner will be the sealed sets. Time will tell.....
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Speaking about the bottom of the box, why not just open the bottom, cherry pick and sell the picked over sets after re-taping the bottom of the box? No label there. >>

The extra tape shows the box has been opened. The mint shipped box comes with one strip of tape over the seam. Any more tape added would be a giveaway. There is also the honesty factor, the seller would probably get a deserved negative and the set returned. >>

I disagree. If the tape from the mint in the middle isn't touched, then obviously the contents are fine.

-Paul
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Two questions for the PCGS experts (my membership is fairly new):

1. Do you think the prices of open sets (sold on ebay) will go down after the FS/ER cutoff date for the 2 coins eligible? Some buying must be for those 2 coins alone to grade.

2. Can I send a sealed box of 3 or 5 sets to PCGS and request them NOT to grade any coins below 69 (have those sent back to me in the capsules with the OGP)? I realize I would have to pay for grading them, but if the grade is under 69, I'd want to put the coin back in OGP set for resell, as I think anything under 69 will be a negative.

Thanks in advance! >>

Why not just crack them out if you don't like the grades? If yer payin to have it graded and slabbed, mite as swell take it slabbed.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Speaking about the bottom of the box, why not just open the bottom, cherry pick and sell the picked over sets after re-taping the bottom of the box? No label there. >>

The extra tape shows the box has been opened. The mint shipped box comes with one strip of tape over the seam. Any more tape added would be a giveaway. There is also the honesty factor, the seller would probably get a deserved negative and the set returned. >>

I disagree. If the tape from the mint in the middle isn't touched, then obviously the contents are fine.

-Paul >>

Not sure what you meant by the tape in the middle. The box comes with two seperate strips of clear tape covering the bottom seam and top seam, top seam is also covered with the shipping label. To open the bottom one would cut thru the tape, but would have to reseal it with more tape, or rip off the tape, which would show on the cardboard. If i bought a "sealed" box, and saw any more tape added, or ripped cardboard, i would assume the box was opened. Am I missing something? interesting topic with what is going on now.

Edited to Add, GO STEELERS!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Two questions for the PCGS experts (my membership is fairly new):

Thanks in advance! >>

Why not just crack them out if you don't like the grades? If yer payin to have it graded and slabbed, mite as swell take it slabbed. >>

Yeah, not sure I'm comfortable with that, cracking out. If I could get it sent back in the capsule less chance of damage.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Single open sets now seem to be in the 825 - 925 range. I think I am going to get me one good set and sell the other 4. Sure maybe more money to be made, but my pocket book says take the profit while its there.
    Or sell just 4 sets of the keys and keep all the rest. >>

Unbelievable

$535 Plus Shipping >>

WOW!
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

-Paul >>

Not sure what you meant by the tape in the middle. The box comes with two seperate strips of clear tape covering the bottom seam and top seam, top seam is also covered with the shipping label. To open the bottom one would cut thru the tape, but would have to reseal it with more tape, or rip off the tape, which would show on the cardboard. If i bought a "sealed" box, and saw any more tape added, or ripped cardboard, i would assume the box was opened. Am I missing something? interesting topic with what is going on now.

Edited to Add, GO STEELERS!!!! >>

The tape from the mint wasn't touched. I edited a pic from ebay to show what i did. The red lines are where I put more tape. I don't see how it'd be a problem at all.

-Paul
  • Options

<< <i>This may be interesting to watch

RP Auction >>

I believe the seller is a board member here, no?
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not sure what you meant by the tape in the middle. The box comes with two seperate strips of clear tape covering the bottom seam and top seam, top seam is also covered with the shipping label. To open the bottom one would cut thru the tape, but would have to reseal it with more tape, or rip off the tape, which would show on the cardboard. If i bought a "sealed" box, and saw any more tape added, or ripped cardboard, i would assume the box was opened. Am I missing something? interesting topic with what is going on now. >>

As I stated in an earlier post, on my box of 5 sets received last Thursday from PBGS, the shipping label did not cover the tape; rather it was off to the side in the upper corner of the box. Nothing indicated that the box had been opened. There were multiple layers of clear tape and you could easily see through to the box's undisturbed surface. None of the tape had been removed.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Not sure what you meant by the tape in the middle. The box comes with two seperate strips of clear tape covering the bottom seam and top seam, top seam is also covered with the shipping label. To open the bottom one would cut thru the tape, but would have to reseal it with more tape, or rip off the tape, which would show on the cardboard. If i bought a "sealed" box, and saw any more tape added, or ripped cardboard, i would assume the box was opened. Am I missing something? interesting topic with what is going on now. >>

As I stated in an earlier post, on my box of 5 sets received last Thursday from PBGS, the shipping label did not cover the tape; rather it was off to the side in the upper corner of the box. Nothing indicated that the box had been opened. There were multiple layers of clear tape and you could easily see through to the box's undisturbed surface. None of the tape had been removed. >>

My five sealed boxes each had only one piece of clear tape on the top seam, and one piece for the bottom.
  • Options
    Here's a way to sell those "other three coins"....don't think it will get much premium though

Proof
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

As I stated in an earlier post, on my box of 5 sets received last Thursday from PBGS, the shipping label did not cover the tape; rather it was off to the side in the upper corner of the box. Nothing indicated that the box had been opened. There were multiple layers of clear tape and you could easily see through to the box's undisturbed surface. None of the tape had been removed. >>

My five sealed boxes each had only one piece of clear tape on the top seam, and one piece for the bottom. >>

UPS might have thrown some tape on Mbogo's box after the PBGS flimsy tape job failed during UPS shipment.
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i><< << << Not sure what you meant by the tape in the middle. The box comes with two seperate strips of clear tape covering the bottom seam and top seam, top seam is also covered with the shipping label. To open the bottom one would cut thru the tape, but would have to reseal it with more tape, or rip off the tape, which would show on the cardboard. If i bought a "sealed" box, and saw any more tape added, or ripped cardboard, i would assume the box was opened. Am I missing something? interesting topic with what is going on now. >>

My five sealed boxes each had only one piece of clear tape on the top seam, and one piece for the bottom. >>

Doesn't mean that UPS might not have thrown some tape on Mbogo's box after the PBGS flimsy tape job failed during UPS shipment. >>

I guess I'll find out what was actually in the box when it gets entered into PCGS' system this Tuesday or Wednesday (the box will arrive at PCGS tomorrow, but things don't usually show up in their system for a day or two...)
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

-Paul >>

The tape from the mint wasn't touched. I edited a pic from ebay to show what i did. The red lines are where I put more tape. I don't see how it'd be a problem at all.

-Paul >>

Thanks for pics, now I understand. I thought that opening the box in any manner would prevent it from being considered as sealed at PCGS.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

-Paul >>

-Paul >>

Thanks for pics, now I understand. I thought that opening the box in any manner would prevent it from being considered as sealed at PCGS. >>

You are correct. I didn't open it.

-Paul
  • Options
    I'm having Puck Ebay deja vu with my first 25 Anniv. set sale....

Being most grateful to my buddy for selling me two of his five sets at cost and letting my cherry pick all 25 coins for my two sets, I told him that I'd sell the others on Ebay for him.

After my experience with flaky puck buyers, I was thrilled when the first set sold to a buyer with over 300 Positive FB. Of course, that only means so much w/the current feedback policies, nonetheless I thought no problem.

In my listing I very clearly stated free shipping, USPS Priority Mail, Insured with Signature Confirmation. You'd think that most buyers would be pleased with this shipping arrangement. At the beginning of the listing the first thing that I state is to PLEASE read all of the terms before bidding AND to PLEASE ask any questions prior to bidding.

So, shortly after sending the buyer an email thanking her for her purchase and instant payment, and noting that I'd be shipping on Monday, I get an email back from her. In her email she says something to the effect: "Can you please ship in a manner that does not require a signature as this is a pain when I'm not home." Upon receipt of this email, I took a closer look at her feedback. Most if not all was for $5 to $10 kitchen/domestic stuff. No coins, nothing over $50.

I responded with a very polite email explaining why sending this set totally uninsured is not a great idea. (You'd think that this would be common sense!).

Later in the day I get an email back which was a bit stern in tone to the effect "O.K., ship it how you want, I just really hope that I'm home." After 11 years of selling coins with 100% pos. FB and perfect DSRs if she negs me for shipping EXACTLY as I stated that I would in my listing I'll be really ticked.

Just like the pucks, I could see the flaky 25th anniv. set "buyers" a mile away.

It will be an interesting ride on FeeBay with these.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    remind her that paypal REQUIRES signature confirmation

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options

<< <i>remind her that paypal REQUIRES signature confirmation >>

You beat me to THAT comment.....there should be no discussion with the signature requirement

I will reluctantly add that this has bad vibes written all over it......hope for the best
  • Options

<< <i>

You beat me to THAT comment.....there should be no discussion with the signature requirement

I will reluctantly add that this has bad vibes written all over it......hope for the best >>

I believe she is just trying to save a trip to the PO after they leave her notice.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I will reluctantly add that this has bad vibes written all over it......hope for the best >>

I believe she is just trying to save a trip to the PO after they leave her notice. >>

Not the time to be a "nice person" and risk confirmation of delivery and void your protection
  • Options
    The question now is will a sealed Bo5 crack $4K today. If it does, I'm re-evaluating my options.

<< <i>My five sealed boxes each had only one piece of clear tape on the top seam, and one piece for the bottom. >>

Standard procedure for all mint shipments. Many purchases, have never had one of their tape jobs fail, regardless of size or weight.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    scotty1419scotty1419 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭
    It seems that if you crack your sets, you can get $1k out of the individual coins now.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm having Puck Ebay deja vu with my first 25 Anniv. set sale....

Being most grateful to my buddy for selling me two of his five sets at cost and letting my cherry pick all 25 coins for my two sets, I told him that I'd sell the others on Ebay for him.

After my experience with flaky puck buyers, I was thrilled when the first set sold to a buyer with over 300 Positive FB. Of course, that only means so much w/the current feedback policies, nonetheless I thought no problem.

In my listing I very clearly stated free shipping, USPS Priority Mail, Insured with Signature Confirmation. You'd think that most buyers would be pleased with this shipping arrangement. At the beginning of the listing the first thing that I state is to PLEASE read all of the terms before bidding AND to PLEASE ask any questions prior to bidding.

So, shortly after sending the buyer an email thanking her for her purchase and instant payment, and noting that I'd be shipping on Monday, I get an email back from her. In her email she says something to the effect: "Can you please ship in a manner that does not require a signature as this is a pain when I'm not home." Upon receipt of this email, I took a closer look at her feedback. Most if not all was for $5 to $10 kitchen/domestic stuff. No coins, nothing over $50.

I responded with a very polite email explaining why sending this set totally uninsured is not a great idea. (You'd think that this would be common sense!).

Later in the day I get an email back which was a bit stern in tone to the effect "O.K., ship it how you want, I just really hope that I'm home." After 11 years of selling coins with 100% pos. FB and perfect DSRs if she negs me for shipping EXACTLY as I stated that I would in my listing I'll be really ticked.

Just like the pucks, I could see the flaky 25th anniv. set "buyers" a mile away.

It will be an interesting ride on FeeBay with these. >>

This would make me nervous - I hate dealing with these types and I don't even sell much. Maybe get a return receipt too as your proof of delivery?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm having Puck Ebay deja vu with my first 25 Anniv. set sale....

It will be an interesting ride on FeeBay with these. >>

This would make me nervous - I hate dealing with these types and I don't even sell much. Maybe get a return receipt too as your proof of delivery? >>

The problem is that you: 1) Simply have to insure the shipment or the seller is 100% on the hook if it's not delivered and 2) You have to have Sig. Conf. if shipping via USPS to be covered by PP seller protections. For $50 or less items - which I sell very few of - I just take the risks. I won't do this for a $750 item.

It's just incredible that no matter how clearly you state something in your listing and that you specifically state "Please ask any questions prior to bidding" it just does not matter.

Thanks
  • Options
    I actually meant a return receipt in addition to the other, insurance and signature conf. This would be your proof of delivery. Just with that flaky buyer, I'd probably do overkill.

And I agree, stupid buyers don't read the fine print, so you have to protect yourself as best you can...
  • Options
    Seller's have protection on feeBay?
  • Options
    I was just going to say the same thing. Pay Pal requires it for the sellers protection.

Good luck with this Bozo!

• Options

<< <i>It's just incredible that no matter how clearly you state something in your listing and that you specifically state "Please ask any questions prior to bidding" it just does not matter.

Thanks >>

On an Anniversary set that closed Saturday I had specified minimum 10 feedbacks, and I only ship to the US. Second highest bid had zero F/B and had registered yesterday, and I think he was from China.
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>[ and I think he was from China. >>

The fake factories need originals upon which to base their work.

But probably a legit buyer. Who knows?

• Options

I did. This was my note which generated her rather stern reply:

Hi XXX-

Thanks for your message.

It is my goal to provide you with absolutely outstanding customer service.

However, it is not possible to ship the coin set in a manner which requires no signature. The only way to do so would be to ship it totally uninsured. If this were to be done there would be no recourse whatsoever if it did not arrive. While for less expensive items I would be more than happy to oblige, for an item in this price range doing so would leave us with no recourse at all if it never showed up. This is why I noted in my listing that I will ship USPS Priority, Insured, with signature confirmation. This was so that I would be selling in accordance with PayPal policies for such items.

My goal is to be sure that your coin set arrives to you on time, in perfect condition. In the extremely unlikely event that the USPS mishandled the package, shipping in the above manner provides us both with 100% protection.

While I understand and can sympathize with the potential hassle of dealing with a package requiring a signature, I hope that you can see that shipping in this manner is both compliant with PayPal policies and offers both of us complete protection.

Best regards,

Edited: On anoter note, the second set sold today (I should have broken it up, but didn't). I ask in my listing for immeidate payment. It sold at 14:00, now it is 18:00 and no payment.

There is some way to set your auction such that Ebay prompts the buyer for immediate payment. I know that I've been directed for immediate payment when buying in the past. Does anyone know how to do this? I generally never request this, but have been doing so for these sets.

Thanks!

• Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    Well, someone said the average order was for 3 sets.

That would be 33,000 people.

If those people kept one set.

There would be 66,000 sets for sale very soon.

• Options
    I was hoping to pick up a few additional sealed sets when the inevitable price drop happens. Was hoping to pay no more than $450, but I think that is now a pipe dream.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options
    johnperk747johnperk747 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭
    Didn't want to start a "new" topic, BUT
    Looks like the first Graded set of 70's on E-Bay, will be selling for under $3,000 (Yes, NGC, but still 70's) Do you think the prices will start coming down now???
    (little over 3 hrs. left, 41 bids and at $2,650 now)
    What do you think???

Blessings image
  • Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There would be 66,000 sets for sale very soon. >>

Seems like there already is. image
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It seems that if you crack your sets, you can get $1k out of the individual coins now. >>

Very interesting, but I dont think that will last.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options

<< <i>

Seems like there already is. image >>

Despite that, I sold two for $750/set pretty quick.

I think that a LOT more will come online starting tomorrow. This is why I really wanted to sell this weekend.
  • Options
    JaLPJaLP Posts: 199 ✭✭✭
    That 70 set by MCM has 41 bids and over 3 hours to go, but I'll just be watching!
  • Options

<< <i>That 70 set by MCM has 41 bids and over 3 hours to go, but I'll just be watching! >>

So everyone is ignoring the near $1300 for the 69 set (still not finished) ??? That is major in my brain....more than the elusive 70 set....
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why do people selling on ebay always seem to want to put their own rules/restrictions into their auctions?

First off, you can restrict someone with negatives, using ebay's system, but you cannot restrict someone with zero feedback, or less than a certain number.
    Secondly, if you want immediate payment, you have to use a BIN and set it that way. If you use any length of an auction, that isn't an option.

Ebay has guidelines for how long until payment is received (at that point, you can file as unpaid).

That said, should be interesting in the days ahead. I sent my sets to PCGS. My friend hasn't received his yet and is trying to figure out if he wants to sell on ebay or send to PCGS. If they keep this way, I may suggest he split them up and sell on ebay. A relative's sets (2 different boxes... one of 3 and one of 2) came in on Friday and the 2nd box will be there on Monday. Same type of thing.....do I tell to open and split or have me send to PCGS? Oy! The dilemmas image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>Why do people selling on ebay always seem to want to put their own rules/restrictions into their auctions? >>

Very simple. I don't want someone who signed up today bidding on my $850 set. I know the rule is not enforceable, hopefully they don't.
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Seems like there already is. image >>

Despite that, I sold two for $750/set pretty quick.

I think that a LOT more will come online starting tomorrow. This is why I really wanted to sell this weekend. >>

Correct thinking ....wacky weekend biding fueled by MCM's NGC 69 set ......now at 1238.00..single sets hold steady at 725-800

Those 11/27 backorders ...you can just about forget it ........ they are a backstop for any returns and credit card rejects from orders
  • Options

<< <i>There is some way to set your auction such that Ebay prompts the buyer for immediate payment. I know that I've been directed for immediate payment when buying in the past. Does anyone know how to do this? I generally never request this, but have been doing so for these sets. >>

Immediate payment required option can be selected when creating the listing provided the listing includes or is a buy it now. If selected buyer will have to make payment during checkout to be awarded the purchase. If it is an auction style listing with a buy it now price the immediate payment required will only show up during checkout if it was purchased as a buy it now. Note that when immediate payment is required during checkout the buyer cannot complete the purchase unless he completes payment during the checkout. Until he does, the listing remains available to everyone else and the first one to complete checkout, including payment, will be awarded the purchase.

Other info on buy it now:
    If seller chooses auction style with a buy it now price, the buy it now option will disappear from the listing as soon as an opening bid is made. If seller choose auction style with a buy it now price and sets a reserve price, the buy it now option will disappear from the listing as soon as the reserve price is met via bidding.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options

<< <i>Those 11/27 backorders ...you can just about forget it ........ they are a backstop for any returns and credit card rejects from orders >>

I'm not giving up the ship quite yet! image
  • Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That 70 set by MCM has 41 bids and over 3 hours to go, but I'll just be watching! >>

A link please?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It's just incredible that no matter how clearly you state something in your listing and that you specifically state "Please ask any questions prior to bidding" it just does not matter.

Thanks >>

On an Anniversary set that closed Saturday I had specified minimum 10 feedbacks, and I only ship to the US. Second highest bid had zero F/B and had registered yesterday, and I think he was from China. >>

When you create your listing choose "exclude shipping locations" and check all location blocks except the US. Anyone registered in a location that you have excluded will not be able to particate in your listing.

To those that have a buyer in a location they do not wish to ship to: If your buyer is outside the area you identified in the description only, and you do not want to take a chance, refund his money, send him a message why and initiate a request to cancel transaction to get your fees back. Buyer does not have to agree to cancel, in which case you will not get your fees back. Nobody can make you complete the transaction. Relist as soon as you make the refund. If you get a neg over it respond to the neg with "buyer outside of shipping area as clearly identified in the description."

- Nick Giambruno

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file