Home Sports Talk
Options

The Official 2023 NFL Regular Season Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

That game between New England and Pittsburgh ended up close and we all probably should have known that. Did I expect New England to win, not really. But I have seen both teams play enough this season that it didn't surprise me. Both teams have problems that run much deeper than Bill Belichick and Mike Tomlin. The guys invested in the Patriots thread have been calling for Belichicks head for weeks now, so I guess it's time to start the "Fire Tomlin" chant here and in Steeler Country.

Here's what's funny: New England is 3-10 while Pittsburgh is 7-6. I have watched maybe two Patriot games and about seven Steelers games. I have seen highlights from almost all the games of both teams. It's not s stretch that right now those records could be reversed, Patriots at 7-6 with the Steelers at 3-10. Both teams suck, both teams have pretty bad player personnel problems, both teams are coached by outstanding Head Coaches. Firing those HC's won't turn things around overnight.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Patriots were an anomaly that they stayed great for 20 years because they had the goat.
    We are seeing what the NFL wants come to fruition. A flipping of power.
    Bad teams get high draft choices to turn their teams around quickly. Now if you take advantage of it you get a Houston.
    Not long ago they had a fire sale. O’Brien dismantled that team just 3 years ago. They drafted well.
    Arizona, not so much but they could have
    Cleveland has a lot of chances
    But of course if you draft in the high 20’s+ eventually it will catch up.
    The worst scenario is 8-8 because you remain there for ever unless you trade up, get extremely lucky at #7 Buffalo
    Then the high draft choices want huge contracts and eventually the super team you build isn’t so super anymore or a star goes down and you couldn’t afford a decent backup

Yes the NFL design is far more complex and that’s what makes it the greatest game on Earth

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces, I think Belichick’s big problem became an over inflated ego. Nurturing might be the wrong word for football, but it seemed like he lost the ability to develop good young players. He beat too many of them down and discarded them too fast.

He also lost sight of the fact that Brady needed good receivers to remain effective. They didn’t need to be GOATs, but they had to get open. Brady needed a guy like Wes Welker and good wide receivers. It was one of the reasons why Brady nurtured a wide receiver named Brown who proved to be a total head case. In one of his last games with the Patriots, the only good pass play that Brady got to work was on a tackle eligible play. Not long after that, Brady announced his departure.

I have not followed Pittsburgh enough to know about their problems. I know in general that when you lose a star quarterback, it’s a big and vital hole to fill.

A team’s success orbits around the offense. You can have a great defense, but if it’s on the field too much, those guys get worn out. Constant “three and outs” are a killer.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

Pittsburgh's problems stem from not having a very good team to start with. The defense carried them through much of the first half of the season but mounting injuries, expected during an NFL season, have really hurt them. At 7-6 they close the season with the Colts, Bengals, Seahawks and Ravens. The only home game is against Cincy so it is reasonable to believe that Mike Tomlin may experience his first losing season.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭✭✭

just a reminder

• Options

It’s do or die day for the Tampa Bay Bucks. They are in the weakest division in the league which means a team with a losing record could win it, like the Bucks did last year. The Bucks barely beat the lowly Panthers last week. I am not optimistic.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭✭

wouldnt it be something if chicago beat detroit today looking like they may in the 4th quarter

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

zach wilson playing lights out today

• Options

@craig44 said:
    zach wilson playing lights out today

301 and 2 TD’s
    Any given Sunday

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

Zach Wilson played like C.J. Stroud and C.J. Stroud played like Zach Wilson the ENTIRE game

and on top of that, Stroud drilled the turf with his head and left the game

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    Zach Wilson played like C.J. Stroud and C.J. Stroud played like Zach Wilson the ENTIRE game

wow, i didnt see that. concussion?

• Options

@craig44 said:

his head snapped hard and he banged the back of it. he went to the tent after laying on the turf for a few minutes. they never said definitively, but he had to be concussed.

meanwhile, Joe Flacco looking like Brian Sipe out there

and meanwhile, the Lions once again showing just how fraudulent they truly are

• Options
    edited December 10, 2023 2:24PM

Yes, the Lions are most inconsistent “good team” in the league. Losing to Bears, who have more like the Cubs this year, is really embarrassing. The wasn’t even close. It sounds like the Lions played another “Thanksgiving style game, “ FLAT.

• Options

Tampa Bucks survived somehow. Both teams were inconsistent to say least. A Green Bay game, played in a probable deep freeze, will be a major challenge.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    meanwhile, Joe Flacco looking like Brian Sipe out there

Funny how it took Flaco 2 games to start looking like an NFL QB - But Watson has had 2 years and still searching to find his past form.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

Ravens sure did luck out today.

• Options

@craig44 said:

@galaxy27 said:

Game was pretty much over by then but hate to see the kid hurt. Stroud just found out what film and adjustments are in the NFL

W.C.Fields
  • Options

the Chiefs are an absolute mess..............discombobulated on both sides of the ball

their receivers are so bad

Buffalo better not let them off the hook

• Options
    edited December 10, 2023 5:42PM

Damn, Toney lines up offside and just cost KC a TD

EDIT: Make that Toney's dumbass move cost the Chiefs the game. Plus he had another wide open drop earlier in the game.

• Options

another great Buf KC game. great win by Buf on the road.

I dont think KC has it this year. consistent mistakes. baby fit by Patty at the end. not a good look. Will he have to play his very first road playoff game this year??

• Options
    edited December 10, 2023 5:48PM

@galaxy27 said:

committing a cardinal sin by quoting myself, but it's warranted. one of the best crunch time touchdowns you'll ever see nullified by an idiot WR who couldn't even line up onside

Tyreek must be chortling

• Options

KC loses their 2nd in a row and Mahomes has an absolute sideline meltdown, all captured by the cameras. Not a good look at all, pretty ugly. I'm still confused about why he was yelling at the Refs.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

@galaxy27 said:

committing a cardinal sin by quoting myself, but it's warranted. one of the best crunch time touchdowns you'll ever see nullified by an idiot WR who couldn't even line up onside

Tyreek must be chortling

yes, you are correct about tyreek. i am sure he fully enjoyed the game. that would have been a fantastic touchdown. maybe not Music City Miracle good, but really good. why dont they hurry up and cut toney already.

• Options

I also heard something on the very end of the telecast about locker room problems this week in KC? I didnt hear the whole thing. Is Andy losing them?

• Options

I don't think Andy Reid loses much, especially things like a locker room.

• Options

i wonder what object is lodged in darin's tv

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:
    Damn, Toney lines up offside and just cost KC a TD

EDIT: Make that Toney's dumbass move cost the Chiefs the game. Plus he had another wide open drop earlier in the game.

And he had a wide open drop week 1 against Detroit that cost KC an easy game wining FG attempt

That guy is so undisciplined it's shocking that KC hasn't cut him,the kid is just bad for any team

• Options

@Maywood said:

I wasnt that impressed with reid before the last few seasons. I remember the terrible clock management at the end of the first eagles patriots super bow. I definitely did not consider him a top coach. i think he has been propped up by a top QB.

• Options

@craig44 said:

@Maywood said:

I wasnt that impressed with reid before the last few seasons. I remember the terrible clock management at the end of the first eagles patriots super bow. I definitely did not consider him a top coach. i think he has been propped up by a top QB.

Reid is like Bill Belichick. You take the top QB away, and he’s toast.

• Options

It appears that the two teams in last year's Super Bowl are both now in the throes of two game losing streaks, not something either team is accustomed to. As for the talk of Andy Reid and Bill Belichick, the same could be said for every Head Coach.

• Options

And it's starting to look like Patrick Mahomes is a few weeks away from playing his first road playoff game excluding the Super Bowl. That's amazing. Another fun fact of the 2023 NFL season is that the Denver Broncos are now just a legitimate contender for the AFC West, currently at 7-6 behind the 8-5 Chiefs. I'm a realist so I don't see that happening since it would require KC to lose two games against their remaining cupcake opponents.

• Options

@craig44 said:

@Maywood said:

Same thing can be said about Erik Bienemy, you couldn't watch a Sports Talk show without some moron touting him as the next best head coach and repeatedly saying "Why isn't he a head coach"

Now that he is in Washington nobody talks about him anymore

• Options

@perkdog and @craig44 --- The thing with Head Coaches, and all coaches for that matter, is that they do the bulk of their work from Monday-Saturday and from February-September when no fans are watching. From September until January on Sunday's we get to actually see what a player does.

The nature of the sport leads us to believe that individual players are the sole driving force behind a teams success and greatness. I believe that attempting to watch a team/game/season without the coaches would render the sport unwatchable. I think I understand what you guys are driving at with your critiques of these head coaches but I wonder when it stops?? Who's next, Vince Lombardi, Paul Brown, Chuck Noll, John Madden, Bill Walsh, Tom Landry?? Those guys aren't really as good as we thought they were, right??

• Options

So I finally heard that Patty was throwing his baby fit at the Ref!! i had assumed it was at one of his receivers. Such a bad look. He and Andy actually expected the Ref to "warn" Toney that he was lined up offside. And then they cried about it after the game.

stoopid...

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    So I finally heard that Patty was throwing his baby fit at the Ref!! i had assumed it was at one of his receivers. Such a bad look. He and Andy actually expected the Ref to "warn" Toney that he was lined up offside. And then they cried about it after the game.

stoopid...

He’s just being consistent in what he believes, that the games should be decided on the field. He’s getting really tired of the refs being the big story after every Chiefs game.
    Remember last week when MVS got mugged late in the game and PI was not called? Did Mahomes blame the refs after the game? No all he said was he could have thrown the ball a couple feet farther to make a better chance for a catch. The no call was absolutely ridiculous.
    So even though the refs lost the Chiefs two games in a row all he’s saying is the games should be decided by the players not the refs.
    BTW I thought is was a great look showing some fire and standing up for what he believes.

• Options
    edited December 11, 2023 7:01AM

@Darin said:

@craig44 said:

stoopid...

He’s just being consistent in what he believes, that the games should be decided on the field. He’s getting really tired of the refs being the big story after every Chiefs game.
    Remember last week when MVS got mugged late in the game and PI was not called? Did Mahomes blame the refs after the game? No all he said was he could have thrown the ball a couple feet farther to make a better chance for a catch. The no call was absolutely ridiculous.
    So even though the refs lost the Chiefs two games in a row all he’s saying is the games should be decided by the players not the refs.
    BTW I thought is was a great look showing some fire and standing up for what he believes.

How in the world did the refs lose yesterday's game for the Chiefs? It was a very clear rule violation. crystal clear. If Patty was going to pitch a fit on the sidelines, throw it at Toney. HE is the one who drew the deserving flag. If you are relying on the referees to tell you when you are offside, you are undisciplined and deserve the flag. Not their job to "warn" players when they are about to violate the rules.

as far as letting the players "decide" the games? ridiculous. The players already do decide the games. Should the refs not throw flags in the final 2 minutes of the game? I think the real story is how poorly the KC offense is playing this year.

I dont have a problem with players showing "fire" on the sidelines, but it is 8th grade stuff pitching a fit against the refs and the whole fake being "held back" by his teammates as if he is going to punch out the ref. Show some fire by getting the offense/WR right.

• Options

Never mind craig you didn’t even understand my post. I said mahomes was probably the only one who didn’t complain when MVS was mugged last week. btw where were you then since you’re such an expert why didn’t you mention the blatant no call. So things just boiled over for Mahomes when the ticky tack call decided the game at the end. If he didn’t bitch about the no call then he surely has a right to bitch when a flag decides the game. And it’s not just a holding or false start, it was literally a call that has never been made in mahomes 7 year career. Ever. Offensive off sides.
    I sure like Mahomes yelling at the refs a lot more than the players like Brady always did.

• Options

@Darin said:
    Never mind craig you didn’t even understand my post. I said mahomes was probably the only one who didn’t complain when MVS was mugged last week. btw where were you then since you’re such an expert why didn’t you mention the blatant no call. So things just boiled over for Mahomes when the ticky tack call decided the game at the end. If he didn’t bitch about the no call then he surely has a right to bitch when a flag decides the game. And it’s not just a holding or false start, it was literally a call that has never been made in mahomes 7 year career. Ever. Offensive off sides.
    I sure like Mahomes yelling at the refs a lot more than the players like Brady always did.

what was "ticky tack" about the call? it was blatant. I am not talking at all about the previous weeks call. just yesterdays. It wasnt even a close call.

So I guess we just dont throw flags during the last 2 minutes now?

Maybe if Mahomes did a little more yelling at his teammates they would get a fire lit under their rear ends. You know, his teammate is the one who violated the rules. Someone needs to step up and be the leader.

The optics of pitching a baby fit at the Refs are terrible. then the fake having your teammates hold you back, as if you are going to attack the ref. infantile.

• Options

So even though the refs lost the Chiefs two games in a row all he’s saying is the games should be decided by the players not the refs

In the article I read Mahomes pretty much said he doesn't think the Refs should call penalties at the end of close, important games. That's ludicrous and coming from Mahomes places him in prima-donna territory. One thing that makes me nuts at that point in games is when the announcers say something like "they're letting them play" when stuff happens downfield. What I hear is "they're letting them get away with a penalty" which is usually interference, holding or illegal contact.

There are enough instances in every game I watch where something is/isn't called which influences the outcome of the game. Players are smart in how they position themselves and keep track of where the officials are. They commit holding and PI routinely because they shield themselves from the officials. The penalty in question was blatant and at a time when every official on the field was observing the players, pre-snap.

I guess it's a good leadership quality for Mahomes to go off like he did although I think it was ill-times and mis-directed. What bugs me is personal accountability. The play was overturned because the Chiefs made a mistake, no the officials or the other team. If it would have happened probably at any other time against any other team I think we'd have seen a different reaction. At home, against the Bills, in the midst of a losing streak and suddenly facing the road in the playoffs, well, Mssrs. Reid and Mahomes are having difficulty with that prospect.

• Options

@Maywood said:
    @perkdog and @craig44 --- The thing with Head Coaches, and all coaches for that matter, is that they do the bulk of their work from Monday-Saturday and from February-September when no fans are watching. From September until January on Sunday's we get to actually see what a player does.

The nature of the sport leads us to believe that individual players are the sole driving force behind a teams success and greatness. I believe that attempting to watch a team/game/season without the coaches would render the sport unwatchable. I think I understand what you guys are driving at with your critiques of these head coaches but I wonder when it stops?? Who's next, Vince Lombardi, Paul Brown, Chuck Noll, John Madden, Bill Walsh, Tom Landry?? Those guys aren't really as good as we thought they were, right??

Take away Otto Graham, Joe Montana, Bart Starr, Rodger Staubach, the entire Steelers Oline and Bradshaw and trade them for the crappy personal that these guys rampaged on and no they are not HOF coaches.

Take away Brady and Belichick is in the same conversation

• Options

i actually give Mahomes a pass for his outburst because i've been there before. i think we've all been there before. things don't go according to plan and you take the high road, but it eventually gets to the point where you can't take it anymore and you erupt.............and many times it's directed toward the wrong person(s). human nature.

for the first time in his career, he's facing real adversity. namely, his receiving corps. we've been discussing it all season. all of the miscues and undisciplined play from his wideouts coupled with the horrid no-call in the Packers game -- the top of that volcano was prepared to come off and what happened last night was exactly what the doctor ordered for that to go down. but i bet if you took Mahomes into a room, shut the door and asked what he's so frustrated about, it would be far more than the down judge, who was just doing his job last night (and made the absolute right call, btw.)

how about some real talk? the Chiefs receivers stink. Kelce is a behemoth. Rice has shown flashes at times but he's not a go-to guy every week. the others are lucky to be on an NFL roster, to be perfectly honest. if Mahomes came out and i said i lost my mind because the organization left the cupboard so incredible bare from a WR standpoint, that would also be a bad look, but it would be 1000% accurate. let's face it, what Toney did in the very first game against the Lions was the proverbial handwriting on the wall. fast forward to week 14 and the guy is still costing KC games. WHY IS HE ON THE TEAM.

multiple people deserved his wrath, but Mike Carr (the ref) was most definitely not one of them

• Options

@perkdog, my premise is simply that if those players are taken away someone would have to be there instead. The best Head Coaches fill the holes.

The flaw in your position that I see with the old school HC's I mentioned is that they were all innovators, they all not only assembled teams that were top-tier but they changed the way the game was played. That goes from Paul Brown who started rotating guards/tackles to bring in plays(todays miked helmet!!) and initiated/popularized film study of opponents(in the 1950's) right through to Bill Walsh and West Coast offense which is still used today, Brady/Belichick ran it to perfection.

You are certainly better positioned to give an opinion on Belichick but to me he made his chops more on defense than offense. The other thing I always noticed about him, going back to his time with the Browns, is that he was astute at player assessment. He knew what his scheme was, how it should work and the type of player he needed for it to be successful. That was how I saw him building his teams and I think he should be credited for that.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not like it was a close call with surveyors equipment needed to show he was offside. Stevie Wonder could have made that call. Lining up correctly should be second nature this far into the season. When Patrick slammed his helmet I thought he was pissed at his receiver. Blaming the officials shows his anger is misdirected.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

I need more coffee. I think I'm on the wrong thread. Or am I going senile.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

@Maywood said:
    @perkdog, my premise is simply that if those players are taken away someone would have to be there instead. The best Head Coaches fill the holes.

The flaw in your position that I see with the old school HC's I mentioned is that they were all innovators, they all not only assembled teams that were top-tier but they changed the way the game was played. That goes from Paul Brown who started rotating guards/tackles to bring in plays(todays miked helmet!!) and initiated/popularized film study of opponents(in the 1950's) right through to Bill Walsh and West Coast offense which is still used today, Brady/Belichick ran it to perfection.

You are certainly better positioned to give an opinion on Belichick but to me he made his chops more on defense than offense. The other thing I always noticed about him, going back to his time with the Browns, is that he was astute at player assessment. He knew what his scheme was, how it should work and the type of player he needed for it to be successful. That was how I saw him building his teams and I think he should be credited for that.

You are absolutely correct that they were innovators, to your point I stand corrected because you are right about that however without the players they were blessed with those innovations might not have gotten off the ground, if Lombardi didn't have Forrest Gregg and some of the other HOF lineman then that "Alley" that he wanted to have Hornung and Taylor to run through might not have been so wide, but again the innovative thought process deserves big time accolades for sure.

I don't know a ton about Paul Brown but he did have a little Belichick in him when he ran Mac Speedie out of the league who very well could gave been a HOF receiver.

Belichick definitely shined a lot but he has made a ton of boneheaded decisions over the years that literally are too long to list but at the end of the day he was successful but alot of it was through free agency not his ability to draft and develop players, Brady was a 6th round pick who saw the field because he had no choice but to put him in when Bledsoe got hurt.

Take away Brady and he wasn't winning those first few Super Bowls with David Patton and Bethel Johnson,

I literally can't think of anyone he drafted and developed into a Super Star without Brady, maybe Gronk but let's look at his drafting over the years and I'm not sure you can name a list of great players other than Vince Wolfork and Richard Seymour

• Options
    pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    i actually give Mahomes a pass for his outburst because i've been there before. i think we've all been there before. things don't go according to plan and you take the high road, but it eventually gets to the point where you can't take it anymore and you erupt.............and many times it's directed toward the wrong person(s). human nature.

for the first time in his career, he's facing real adversity. namely, his receiving corps. we've been discussing it all season. all of the miscues and undisciplined play from his wideouts coupled with the horrid no-call in the Packers game -- the top of that volcano was prepared to come off and what happened last night was exactly what the doctor ordered for that to go down. but i bet if you took Mahomes into a room, shut the door and asked what he's so frustrated about, it would be far more than the down judge, who was just doing his job last night (and made the absolute right call, btw.)

how about some real talk? the Chiefs receivers stink. Kelce is a behemoth. Rice has shown flashes at times but he's not a go-to guy every week. the others are lucky to be on an NFL roster, to be perfectly honest. if Mahomes came out and i said i lost my mind because the organization left the cupboard so incredible bare from a WR standpoint, that would also be a bad look, but it would be 1000% accurate. let's face it, what Toney did in the very first game against the Lions was the proverbial handwriting on the wall. fast forward to week 14 and the guy is still costing KC games. WHY IS HE ON THE TEAM.

multiple people deserved his wrath, but Mike Carr (the ref) was most definitely not one of them

The more a team wins the more they lose big names to free agency and that makes it much tougher to win year after year.
    Brady had so many receivers no one had ever heard of over the years.

• Options
    edited December 11, 2023 12:13PM

@pdoidoi said:

@galaxy27 said:

The more a team wins the more they lose big names to free agency and that makes it much tougher to win year after year.
    Brady had so many receivers no one had ever heard of over the years.

and the more times a team backs up the brinks truck the way Kansas City did for Mahomes, Kelce and Chris Jones, the more times they'll be shopping at dollar tree for players at other positions. Brady was proficient at making chicken salad out of chicken sh*t, no question about it. and that's precisely the task Mahomes is faced with now. in seasons past if he got the ball with 2 minutes left and the game on the line, you knew you were screwed. now, not so much. who exactly is gonna make a play? the Chiefs don't instill fear in anyone.

• Options
    edited December 11, 2023 2:34PM

The Toney offsides is of course the right call but I’m still touchy about those calls since the Chiefs had the Patriots beat in Mahomes first year as a starter except for Dee Ford lining up offside on defense. KC had Brady picked off and beaten in the afc championship game.

• Options

By those calls I mean lining up offsides. I could see it mattering in the 100 meter dash a lot more than in a football game.

• Options

@Darin said:
    The Toney offsides is of course the right call but I’m still touchy about those calls since the Chiefs had the Patriots beat in Mahomes first year as a starter except for Dee Ford lining up offside on defense. KC had Brady picked off and beaten in the afc championship game.

except they didnt.

the play never happened because KC lined up offside.

I suppose the rules committee could get rid of the offsides foul, but it is a rule for a reason. there would be chaos without it.