Home Sports Talk

The Official 2023 NFL Regular Season Discussion Thread

1212223242527»

Comments

• MaywoodMaywood Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

And with the end of the regular season the NFL HC and GM firings are underway in earnest, following on the heels of some in-season changes with OC's. Already there are two opening at HC and one at GM with almost certainly more to come.

I only hope that the players who shit-the-bed this season are held to account by the various franchises. I understand moving on from a coach, seeking a new direction and shake-up, but quite often it's out of their control. Best of luck to everyone who's getting the hook.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buff made me a little worried, but they pulled it through at the end.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

@craig44, the game wasn't like everyone here expected. To me, the 2nd half hinged on a few Miami plays that came up short and some penalties at exactly the wrong time. Those are killers in a big game.

So I just noticed that after all the media hype the last few years about Bill Belichick reaching Don Shula in wins that he has inauspiciously reached another record --- he has now lost more games than any other coach!! It would surely be a strange twist if he ends up holding that record without reaching the other.

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure if this has been posted yet or not:

"Dolphins-Chiefs wild-card matchup expected to be among the coldest games in NFL history.
    The playoff game is expected to set a Chiefs record for the coldest ever played at Arrowhead Stadium"

How this will affect the outcome, I have no idea. Perhaps the team with the best hand warmers? 🤔

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2024 7:47AM

For what it's worth. Read on a site that since 2975> @stevek said:

"Dolphins-Chiefs wild-card matchup expected to be among the coldest games in NFL history.
    The playoff game is expected to set a Chiefs record for the coldest ever played at Arrowhead Stadium"

How this will affect the outcome, I have no idea. Perhaps the team with the best hand warmers? 🤔

I seem to recall a playoff game in Cincinnati in the late 70's or in the 80's where it was below zero. May of been against the Steelers. Was the "freezer bowl". SD vs. Cincinnati. -9 with a -59 wind-chill. Wikipedia has the story under "freezer bowl".

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • stevekstevek Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    For what it's worth. Read on a site that since 2975> @stevek said:

I seem to recall a playoff game in Cincinnati in the late 70's or in the 80's where it was below zero. May of been against the Steelers. Was the "freezer bowl". SD vs. Cincinnati. -9 with a -59 wind-chill. Wikipedia has the story under "freezer bowl".

Yea, ya never know how this may affect handicapping the game. Logically you might think that the team from a cold weather city might have the advantage versus a team from Florida. However the Florida team sometimes could very well step it up because of that, and win the game anyway. Besides, they're gonna have all the cold weather gear, etc, that the Chiefs have, so in my opinion the cold weather by itself doesn't matter.

That being said, extremely windy conditions, a very sloppy field, etc, can give certain teams an advantage depending on the make-up of the team. Of course the bookies know all this as well and adjust the odds accordingly.

It is, after all, football. The players should be accustomed to playing in most any weather conditions. Sometimes the "warm weather" team in such circumstances goes to a colder climate to practice prior to a game.

• TabeTabe Posts: 6,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Maywood said:
    It is, after all, football. The players should be accustomed to playing in most any weather conditions. Sometimes the "warm weather" team in such circumstances goes to a colder climate to practice prior to a game.

Eh, there's really no being "accustomed" to sub-zero temps.

Having said that, it's not quite as bad as it seems. I've coached in games that were around 5 degrees. After awhile, you do warm up quite a bit. Myself, I actually ditched my coat and was just in a polo by the end of the game because I was hot. The players eventually adjusted but it's definitely tough for them.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tommy was a California boy moved to Mass. He held his own in cold weather games.

I can say from experience that you can get used to the cold. I have lived my whole life up in Maine and I can honestly say the cold doesnt bother me. In fact, I prefer it to the heat. I hate hot weather. wind can make it miserable, but i like just straight cold temperatures.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    Tommy was a California boy moved to Mass. He held his own in cold weather games.

I can say from experience that you can get used to the cold. I have lived my whole life up in Maine and I can honestly say the cold doesnt bother me. In fact, I prefer it to the heat. I hate hot weather. wind can make it miserable, but i like just straight cold temperatures.

I'd prefer the cold over the extremely hot and muggy weather, at least with the cold you can layer up and deal with it but getting banged around in freezing temperatures is no.joke

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

I'd prefer the cold over the extremely hot and muggy weather, at least with the cold you can layer up and deal with it but getting banged around in freezing temperatures is no.joke

I lived in Buffalo for 32 years and absolutely grew to hate the 5 months of winter. Now in Texas I hate the 2 months of Summer but it’s better than winter. Anywhere you can wear sneakers year round is better than sloshing through snow, ice and slush and salt.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2024 6:54AM

@2dueces said:

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

I lived in Buffalo for 32 years and absolutely grew to hate the 5 months of winter. Now in Texas I hate the 2 months of Summer but it’s better than winter. Anywhere you can wear sneakers year round is better than sloshing through snow, ice and slush and salt.

I will go with I just hate extreme temperatures, in fact I hate extreme anything lol

• pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 630 ✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

He went to college in Michigan. I think Michigan can get twice as cold as Mass. in the winter.

• Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

San Fransisco isnt exactly Cali weather. People think of Southern Cal for that. SF is a cold city and rains a lot.

Missouri 14 OSU 3