Home Sports Talk
Options

2023 college football thread

Comments

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭✭

There arent 4 teams with superior resumes in front of either Georgia or Alabama. Name 1 team with a superior resume.

Im not clueless I was using the past committee decisions with OSU about playoff decisions

Michigan. FSU, and Washington do not have better resumes than Alabama or Georgia at all. Especially FSU.

FSU beat LSU and then their next best win is Duke, and after that its Clemson. By the time they played Miami they had given up on the season.

Michigan played two games, Penn State who cant ever beat a ranked team and Ohio State.

Washington got credit for an overrated USC, two wins against Oregon that got credit for beating a "ranked Colorado" and both got credit for Oregon State. Turns out none of them were that good. Oregon State lost by snapping a 40 yard safety against them, Colorado was terrible, USC lost 5 games while being healthy etc etc

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 818 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2, 2023 6:38PM

If Michigan and FSU win, there’s only 1 spot that requires comparing resumes. Has the committee ever excluded an undefeated power 5 conference champion in favor of a 1 loss team? I don’t recall that happening, so Michigan, FSU, and Washington are in automatically. Then you compare resumes and Texas has the head to head over Alabama, at Alabama, by double digits. The committees typically prioritize head to head results, so it should be Texas based on past precedent.

Of course, they could buck the trend, dump FSU because they’re down their QB, and choose both TX and AL. Or FSU loses tonight and makes it all moot anyway.

I think FSU loses tonight, though, so I think it’ll be:

1. Mich
    2. Wash
    3. TX
    4. AL

Mich - AL would be a great opener.

Jim

• Options
    edited December 2, 2023 7:55PM

@burghman said:
    If Michigan and FSU win, there’s only 1 spot that requires comparing resumes. Has the committee ever excluded an undefeated power 5 conference champion in favor of a 1 loss team? I don’t recall that happening, so Michigan, FSU, and Washington are in automatically. Then you compare resumes and Texas has the head to head over Alabama, at Alabama, by double digits. The committees typically prioritize head to head results, so it should be Texas based on past precedent.

Of course, they could buck the trend, dump FSU because they’re down their QB, and choose both TX and AL. Or FSU loses tonight and makes it all moot anyway.

1. Mich
    2. Wash
    3. TX
    4. AL

No undefeated Power conference champion has been left out before. But should have

FSU Louisville looks like an Iowa intersquad game the offense is so so bad on both sides

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 818 ✭✭✭✭

@Basebal21 said:

@burghman said:

1. Mich
    2. Wash
    3. TX
    4. AL

No undefeated Power conference champion has been left out before. But should have

FSU Louisville looks like an Iowa intersquad game the offense is so so bad on both sides

I’ll admit to being a B1G homer, but that was funny! I’m watching the B1G game so I can only imagine what a 3-0 game looks like in this day of offensive football.

The Fox announcer’s fawning over the Michigan defense this game is gross - it’s freaking Iowa, it doesn’t take an elite defense to make them look like a middle school team.

Given that FSU game, I’m starting to believe that FSU will be left out whether they win or lose. I’ll stick with my 4 teams regardless of the FSU outcome.

Jim

• Options
    edited December 2, 2023 8:26PM

@burghman said:

@Basebal21 said:

@burghman said:

1. Mich
    2. Wash
    3. TX
    4. AL

I’ll admit to being a B1G homer, but that was funny! I’m watching the B1G game so I can only imagine what a 3-0 game looks like in this day of offensive football.

The Fox announcer’s fawning over the Michigan defense this game is gross - it’s freaking Iowa, it doesn’t take an elite defense to make them look like a middle school team.

Given that FSU game, I’m starting to believe that FSU will be left out whether they win or lose. I’ll stick with my 4 teams regardless of the FSU outcome.

Its been so bad lol. 2nd and 3rd all time for lowest yards ever in an ACC championship first half being the lowest combined ever. Anytime theres any sort of play theres a penalty calling it back very Iowa style.

I turned on the Michigan game during the break and it really is brutal acting like Iowa has an offense. Thats gotta be a tough game to call.

Theres still some time left, but unless FSU somehow flips a switch I really do not want to see them in the playoffs even if they win. Louisville is not some elite d and this is just bad. They scored again but putting in RBs to play QB for a TD isnt going to work

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great drive by Florida State.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    edited December 2, 2023 10:00PM

1 Michigan
    2 Washington
    3 FSU
    4 Texas

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    edited December 2, 2023 11:02PM

A "big" fan of OSU celebrating their rival (Michigan) and trying to make things out of conferences vs conferences when its not yet decided, I mean.......

Seems like such a fan should be more worried about not being able to even make a conference championship in the B!G

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

FSU was 2-0 against the SEC, didn't play an FCS school, and beat common opponent LSU by more (21 vs 14) than Alabama did.

Texas beat Alabama.

Alabama has no argument for being one of the four.

• Options
    edited December 3, 2023 12:33AM

University of Northern Alabama, at least get the facts right for FSU.

Does make sense though hoping for the easiest path possible for Michigan fans

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

One has to wonder if the TV networks are involved/influencing to some extent in the selection process. Albeit ever so subtle. Which teams matchup they would like to see for the optimum in TV ratings. Would not be a surprise.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:
    FSU was 2-0 against the SEC, didn't play an FCS school, and beat common opponent LSU by more (21 vs 14) than Alabama did.

Texas beat Alabama.

If Bama and FSU were playing today who would Vegas favor.....be honest now.

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 3, 2023 4:05AM
    1. Michigan. --- they proved themselves and should move up, proved to be the most complete team.
    2. Washington. --- they have played well all season and that continued in their PAC 12 Championship win.
    3. Florida State. --- maybe not impressive, but should they be penalized because they faced adversity and won??
    4. Texas. --- it all goes back to week two, how can you keep them out??

--- Alabama/Hopefully the committee doesn't subscribe to the thinking that the SEC champion just needs to be in the playoff. I don't think they should be. The counter to that is that Texas beat Alabama and has been ahead of them in the polls ever since. I believe that if the committee were looking ahead to how things have transpired then it would have been easy enough to move Alabama ahead of Texas weeks ago. They didn't.

--- Georgia/Well, the Bulldogs were going to lose eventually. I really think the committee wanted the Championship Game to be Michigan vs. Georgia so I hope they don't think they can slide them in to get that in the semi's.

--- My thoughts on the SEC/I wasn't very impressed with the game overall, the last 10 minutes were exciting but before that I saw two teams that looked average, not like the "powerhouses" that the media hype would have us believe they are. I think it reveals a hidden truth about the SEC, that the conference isn't as dominant as everyone thinks. It's much the same as the rest of the NCAA, there are two teams that are much better than the rest but past that it looks ordinary. I know everyone thinks that's just wrong to say, but the facts prove otherwise.

5. Alabama.

6. Georgia.
    7. Oregon.
    8. Ohio State.
    9. Missouri.
    10. Penn State.
  • Options

I think most would agree that Michigan, Ohio State, Georgia, and Bama are the 4 best teams. I cant see FSU, Washington, or Texas beating any of those 4 teams. That said those 4 best teams i mentioned are not the most deserving. Ferg, i agree those 4 teams you listed will be the 4 playoff teams.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said: I think most would agree that Michigan, Ohio State, Georgia, and Bama are the 4 best teams. I cant see FSU, Washington, or Texas beating any of those 4 teams.

As I said in my post about Ohio State, they always make a compelling case for themselves but come up short when it counts. Three teams have done that this season, showed up when it counted, Michigan/Washington/Florida State. The way these teams pussify their schedules and refuse to play each other during the season there is no way to know who can beat who.

Strangely, we are about to find out when the Bowl Match-ups are made. Allow 5-10 to play each other in those games so we can see who is better. Don't just put one of them in the top four because the committee thinks they are better. We have three undefeated Group of Five Conference Champions which should play for the National Championship.

Ohio State lost, they should be out. Georgia lost, they should be out. That leaves Alabama and Texas. They both won their Conference Championship but Alabama lost head-to-head to Texas. Alabama should be out.

That's my logic.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Georgia - Alabama game should serve as a lesson for the Philadelphia Eagles. You can’t keep falling behind and expect to come back.

Alabama got a huge break at the end of the first half. The Alabama player didn’t catch a fourth down play pass which was called a catch. Shortly there after Alabama scored which made it 17 to 7 at the half.

Georgia’s national championship season is over. They didn’t play well enough to win.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only Michigan and Washington are locks. I see Florida State, Texas, Alabama and Georgia vying for two spots. I would give the edge to Alabama and Texas.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

So FSU runs the table in the ACC and gets left out over a 1 loss conference champ? I am going to have an Ohio State National Champs shirt made. It's just as valid as whoever wins this farce of a playoff. FSU should sue the committee. Bias that's not even hidden anymore.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

ESPN rankings. Looks like they like the BIG TEN lol.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/fpi

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Add FSU to the list of teams that got screwed by the cheaters.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    edited December 3, 2023 2:01PM

@coolstanley said:

Add FSU to the list of teams that got screwed by the cheaters.

Michigan got in and they cheated.

• Options

How could this be?

• Options

@coolstanley said:

I think they like Alabama more. Alabama wins a close game at home with the aid of a generous call at the end of the first half. FSU wins all of their games and stays home. One analyst said FSU was passed over because their first and second string quarterbacks are injured. The undefeated record does not matter.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BillJones said:

@coolstanley said:

I think they like Alabama more. Alabama wins a close game at home with the aid of a generous call at the end of the first half. FSU wins all of their games and stays home. One analyst said FSU was passed over because their first and second string quarterbacks are injured. The undefeated record does not matter.

Strength of schedule has to matter otherwise 13-0 Liberty should be in the discussion. Bama was 5th and FSU was 55th for strength of schedule. FSUs best wins were LSU and Louisville, Bamas best were Georgia, Ole Miss, LSU, Tennessee. The ACC was simply very down this year. UNC lived and died off what Drake Maye did, Miami gave up half way through the year to the point their pretty good QB announced he was transferring at the end of the year during the season, Duke had a hot start and faded etc.

Regardless though the Jordan Travis injury to FSU was the nail in the coffin for their playoff hopes. The committee had been looking for reasons all year to push them out and jumped Washington over them during the year. Their game last night was an audition whether or not they could be competitive in the playoffs and the answer was no. They started their third string freshman (who is talented) and he was so bad they brought in their backup who didnt start because of a concussion that magically "got better" during the game who was also terrible. They beat Louisville because they were better than them at basically every position, that would not be the case against a legitimate playoff team. It would look like the 49ers vs Philly when they couldnt throw, or an Iowa offense and basically been a first round bye for whoever played them.

What some are not seeing is that FSU was going to be out no matter what even if Georgia won. They put Texas at 3 which is higher than FSU was ranked. If Georgia won it would have been Georgia, Michigan, Washington, Texas

The fact that Michigan players groaned when they learned it was Bama shows they made the right decision

• Options

That clip said a lot....... B)

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

Heading towards Alabama vs Texas part II for the championship

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    edited December 3, 2023 7:54PM

Ohio State was a conference champion in 2017 and had a better SOS than Alabama. Yet the committee chose Bama for the final four spot. Just shows the SEC always has an unfair advantage. This year is no different.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 853 ✭✭✭✭✭

NCAA committee members should be jailed
    My opinion
    Martin

• Options
    edited December 3, 2023 6:59PM

@coolstanley said:
    Ohio State was a conference champion is 2017 and had a better SOS than Alabama. Yet the committee chose Bama for the final four spot. Just shows the SEC always has an unfair advantage. This year is no different.

You mean a 2 loss OSU that year that also lost to unranked Iowa? Thats what happened that year

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@BillJones said:

@coolstanley said:

Strength of schedule has to matter otherwise 13-0 Liberty should be in the discussion. Bama was 5th and FSU was 55th for strength of schedule. FSUs best wins were LSU and Louisville, Bamas best were Georgia, Ole Miss, LSU, Tennessee. The ACC was simply very down this year. UNC lived and died off what Drake Maye did, Miami gave up half way through the year to the point their pretty good QB announced he was transferring at the end of the year during the season, Duke had a hot start and faded etc.

Regardless though the Jordan Travis injury to FSU was the nail in the coffin for their playoff hopes. The committee had been looking for reasons all year to push them out and jumped Washington over them during the year. Their game last night was an audition whether or not they could be competitive in the playoffs and the answer was no. They started their third string freshman (who is talented) and he was so bad they brought in their backup who didnt start because of a concussion that magically "got better" during the game who was also terrible. They beat Louisville because they were better than them at basically every position, that would not be the case against a legitimate playoff team. It would look like the 49ers vs Philly when they couldnt throw, or an Iowa offense and basically been a first round bye for whoever played them.

What some are not seeing is that FSU was going to be out no matter what even if Georgia won. They put Texas at 3 which is higher than FSU was ranked. If Georgia won it would have been Georgia, Michigan, Washington, Texas

The fact that Michigan players groaned when they learned it was Bama shows they made the right decision

Michigan has a short history of underperforming. I thought their quarterback pretty good until last year’s playoffs. This year he has shown he probably doesn’t have a first line position in the NFL draft. My bet would be on Alabama to beat them. The real championship game was the Alabama victory over Georgia, and that was influenced by a bad call.

And yes, I don’t care for Alabama and its coach.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 3, 2023 8:39PM

@Basebal21 said:

I have no idea how I missed the FCS opponent for FSU. Ugh.

@Bullsitter said:

@Tabe said:

Texas beat Alabama.

Probably Bama.

• Options
    edited December 3, 2023 8:53PM

@BillJones said:

@Basebal21 said:

@BillJones said:

@coolstanley said:

Michigan has a short history of underperforming. I thought their quarterback pretty good until last year’s playoffs. This year he has shown he probably doesn’t have a first line position in the NFL draft. My bet would be on Alabama to beat them. The real championship game was the Alabama victory over Georgia, and that was influenced by a bad call.

And yes, I don’t care for Alabama and its coach.

I respect what Saban has done and built. I dont have to like a coach either to see it.

As far as Michigan its true there is a short history of underperming, but they have also only had a short history to do so. JJ is average at best and they know it which is why they stopped letting him put the ball in his hands. He wont be a first round pick and never really was expected to be outside of the media claims.

I defiantly agree that the real game was Georgie Bama. That call wasnt great, in the long run I dont think it matters much as either team would be the favorite to win it all, The 12 team playoff which is long overdue would have sorted it all out

• Options

Who cares who's favored? Both Georgia and Oregon were favored and how did that turn out?

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@Tabe said:

@Basebal21 said:

I have no idea how I missed the FCS opponent for FSU. Ugh.

@Bullsitter said:

@Tabe said:

Texas beat Alabama.

Probably Bama.

Unfortunately that was the game where Travis had his leg broken. I didnt want to see that especially in a game they would win with all backups. Id much rather see everyone healthy and an expanded playoffs but with the 4 once that happened they just werent the same team anymore

• Options

To expand a little, Travis shouldnt take the blame for this either. They were a borderline team and its unfair to put all the blame on Travis getting hurt. It was what pushed it over the edge but the roster is what ultimately did it. Talent wise they were right on the cusp of being there. It just took one thing to push them out and unfortunately it ended up being Travis getting hurt

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

Next year the topic of heated discussion on selection Sunday will be two or three teams arguing that they deserve being selected for the #12 spot in the playoffs and got denied their rightful playoff berth by a biased selection committee.

The only solution to this is to have no regular season. Have all D-1 teams start a national playoff tournament after Labor day and let everyone in. Of course teams will then complain that they got a raw deal with their assigned playoff seeding. :)

• Options

This was by far the worst committee in the 4 team playoff era. Their rankings make no sense. Two teams got in over another team with the better record. They placed Ohio State as the worse one loss team when they have the best loss....a 6 point loss to the #1 team.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@SanctionII said:
    Next year the topic of heated discussion on selection Sunday will be two or three teams arguing that they deserve being selected for the #12 spot in the playoffs and got denied their rightful playoff berth by a biased selection committee.

Might get crazy. One of the rules is one group of 5 team gets in the 12 team playoff. So in other words, the #13 team who could be a better team than the group of five team, gets left out.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Theres no power 5. Its a power 4 next year and all power 4 conference champions have an automatic bid

• Options

Coolstanleys current top ten before the bowl games begin.

Michigan
    Washington
    Florida State
    Ohio State
    Texas
    Alabama
    Georgia
    Penn State
    Oregon
    Oklahoma

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Lol

• Options

Hey CoolStanley, you're the smartest football fan on the boards.
    Can you please tell me why FSU is a 13-point underdog to Georgia.
    How can an undefeated #5 team (FSU) be a 13-point underdog to the #6 team (Georgia)?

• Options

Ohio State starting quarterback Kyle McCord enters transfer portal.....oh my.

• Options

@Bullsitter said:
    Ohio State starting quarterback Kyle McCord enters transfer portal.....oh my.

I wonder who plays against Missouri? We shall see.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    edited December 4, 2023 6:22AM

Big ten vs SEC bowl matchups

Michigan vs Alabama
    Ohio State vs Missouri
    Ole Miss vs Penn State
    Iowa vs Tennessee
    Auburn vs Maryland
    Wisconsin vs LSU

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    edited December 4, 2023 6:18AM

I thought Bama would be more than a 1-point underdog to the #1 team.
    Seems like Bama would be a double-digit underdog since they don't even belong there.

We don't have a chance against Michigan.... :)
    I watched some Youtube on them. They're big and fast and play well together, well coached too.

• Options

@Bullsitter said:

I thought Bama would be more than a 1-point underdog to the #1 team.
    Seems like Bama would be a double-digit underdog since they don't even belong there.

We don't have a chance against Michigan.... :)
    I watched some Youtube on them. They're big and fast and play well together, well coached too.

Alabama will smoke Michigan. I'm surprised the spread is almost even. Might change though. Harbaugh dont win bowl games.

About the Bowl matchups...This has to be the most BIG Ten vs SEC matchups in history..SIX games.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭✭✭

no one here is even mentioning the team that is going to win it all

Texas

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    no one here is even mentioning the team that is going to win it all

Texas

I can't disagree. Sark has those guys playing well.
    That td to Sweat was awesome.